Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default one tomato plant not producing

On 8/4/2014 6:40 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> On Mon, 04 Aug 2014 16:21:11 -0400, Nancy Young
> > wrote:

>> You know, I bought that stuff and after reading all the
>> warnings and precautions on the label, it's waiting to go
>> to hazardous waste.

> Ingredient: Kenitin, calcium
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinetin
>
> The lawyers wisely included a disclaimer statement to protect their
> client.
> Your toothpaste tube also bears warnings and precautions.

It doesn't say make sure you don't let this toothpaste
touch your skin. Or to wear nitrile gloves.

It just didn't make us feel like spraying it on our food.
No worries that it sounds silly to anyone else.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message

> You'll find feathers in craft shops, not at the hardware store. In
> fact, painters who do wood graining use feathers - so it's not as
> unusual to find as you seem to think.

There is an Adam and Eve store here, but she refuses to go.... We both
grew up Catholic and have "guilt"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 04 Aug 2014 19:43:11 -0400, Nancy Young
> wrote:

>On 8/4/2014 6:40 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>> On Mon, 04 Aug 2014 16:21:11 -0400, Nancy Young
>> > wrote:

>>> You know, I bought that stuff and after reading all the
>>> warnings and precautions on the label, it's waiting to go
>>> to hazardous waste.

>> Ingredient: Kenitin, calcium
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinetin
>>
>> The lawyers wisely included a disclaimer statement to protect their
>> client.
>> Your toothpaste tube also bears warnings and precautions.

>It doesn't say make sure you don't let this toothpaste
>touch your skin. Or to wear nitrile gloves.
>
>It just didn't make us feel like spraying it on our food.
>No worries that it sounds silly to anyone else.
>
>nancy

can you take a picture of your spray? I haven't ever had one that had
that wording on it. I'd be interested to see the product.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"John" > wrote in message

> Next, he'll ask what's the best way to go the on foot, by car or by
> public transport?

I was a bus driver trainee... No thanks on bus.

I would like to bike. I have a car, but other drivers scare me. And I
hate getting stuck in stop go traffic. On a bike, you can just go where
you want unfettered.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/4/2014 7:56 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> On Mon, 04 Aug 2014 19:43:11 -0400, Nancy Young
> > wrote:

>> It doesn't say make sure you don't let this toothpaste
>> touch your skin. Or to wear nitrile gloves.
>>
>> It just didn't make us feel like spraying it on our food.
>> No worries that it sounds silly to anyone else.

> can you take a picture of your spray? I haven't ever had one that had
> that wording on it. I'd be interested to see the product.

I only bought it to get free shipping. I was a bit short of the
limit so I ordered this, I could pay for shipping or I could get
some item. What I'm getting at is that I didn't actually have some
burning desire to use blossom set spray. Ron took a look at it and
those warnings put him off, and I don't blame him. We always got
plenty of tomatoes without it.

I believe this is the brand I bought:

http://www.bonide.com/lbonide/msds/msds542.pdf

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 04 Aug 2014 20:24:05 -0400, Nancy Young
> wrote:

>On 8/4/2014 7:56 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>> On Mon, 04 Aug 2014 19:43:11 -0400, Nancy Young
>> > wrote:

>>> It doesn't say make sure you don't let this toothpaste
>>> touch your skin. Or to wear nitrile gloves.
>>>
>>> It just didn't make us feel like spraying it on our food.
>>> No worries that it sounds silly to anyone else.

>> can you take a picture of your spray? I haven't ever had one that had
>> that wording on it. I'd be interested to see the product.

>I only bought it to get free shipping. I was a bit short of the
>limit so I ordered this, I could pay for shipping or I could get
>some item. What I'm getting at is that I didn't actually have some
>burning desire to use blossom set spray. Ron took a look at it and
>those warnings put him off, and I don't blame him. We always got
>plenty of tomatoes without it.
>
>I believe this is the brand I bought:
>
>http://www.bonide.com/lbonide/msds/msds542.pdf
>
>nancy

thanks for providing that. I looked for it and couldn't find it. It
is the standard government labeling. One of the last statements on
the label is that no toxic elements are present. Tell your husband
that the ingredient is most likely in your face cream/moisturizer.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"John" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 04 Aug 2014 16:21:11 -0400, Nancy Young
> > wrote:
>
>>On 8/4/2014 2:03 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:

>>A crafts store like Michaels, for one.

> Next, he'll ask what's the best way to go the on foot, by car or by
> public transport?

He should get a ride from his ex.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gus" > wrote in message
> "John" > wrote in message
>
>> Next, he'll ask what's the best way to go the on foot, by car or by
>> public transport?

> I was a bus driver trainee... No thanks on bus.
>
> I would like to bike. I have a car, but other drivers scare me. And I
> hate getting stuck in stop go traffic. On a bike, you can just go where
> you want unfettered.

Heh. Not in some places. You'll just get a trip to the hospital!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gus" > wrote in message
> "sf" > wrote in message
>
>> You'll find feathers in craft shops, not at the hardware store. In
>> fact, painters who do wood graining use feathers - so it's not as
>> unusual to find as you seem to think.

> There is an Adam and Eve store here, but she refuses to go.... We both
> grew up Catholic and have "guilt"

TMI!!!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/4/2014 5:56 PM, Gus wrote:
> "sf" > wrote in message
>
>> You'll find feathers in craft shops, not at the hardware store. In
>> fact, painters who do wood graining use feathers - so it's not as
>> unusual to find as you seem to think.

> There is an Adam and Eve store here, but she refuses to go.... We both
> grew up Catholic and have "guilt"

F**k that!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 4 Aug 2014 19:56:16 -0400, "Gus" >
wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
>
> > You'll find feathers in craft shops, not at the hardware store. In
> > fact, painters who do wood graining use feathers - so it's not as
> > unusual to find as you seem to think.

> There is an Adam and Eve store here, but she refuses to go.... We both
> grew up Catholic and have "guilt"

You can always rape a feather duster.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> You can always rape a feather duster.

Where do you get one of those? There is an Adam and Eve store here,
but she refuses to go with me. Says I will giggle non stop.

Anyway, the tomatoes are still growing. Debating whether I should cut
back the healthy one not producing. Maybe I should?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 5 Aug 2014 00:53:12 -0400, "Gus" >
wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > You can always rape a feather duster.

> Where do you get one of those? There is an Adam and Eve store here,
> but she refuses to go with me. Says I will giggle non stop.
> store

Forget Adam and Eve, she isn't interested. Try your local hardware
store for feather dusters - search Amazon, even Office Depot sells
them. Come to think of it, my zoo used to sell ostrich feathers.

> Anyway, the tomatoes are still growing. Debating whether I should cut
> back the healthy one not producing. Maybe I should?

You're on your own with that decision, but my opinion is it's too late
in the season for that plant to produce anything but leaves

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message

>> Anyway, the tomatoes are still growing. Debating whether I should
>> cut
>> back the healthy one not producing. Maybe I should?
>>

> You're on your own with that decision, but my opinion is it's too late
> in the season for that plant to produce anything but leaves

well, at least it does look good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 4 Aug 2014 19:56:16 -0400, "Gus" >
> wrote:
>
>> "sf" > wrote in message
>>
>> > You'll find feathers in craft shops, not at the hardware store. In
>> > fact, painters who do wood graining use feathers - so it's not as
>> > unusual to find as you seem to think.

>> There is an Adam and Eve store here, but she refuses to go.... We both
>> grew up Catholic and have "guilt"

> You can always rape a feather duster.

That sounds like something Sheldon might do.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gus" > wrote in message
> "sf" > wrote in message
>> You can always rape a feather duster.

> Where do you get one of those? There is an Adam and Eve store here, but
> she refuses to go with me. Says I will giggle non stop.
>
> Anyway, the tomatoes are still growing. Debating whether I should cut
> back the healthy one not producing. Maybe I should?

I wouldn't.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 04 Aug 2014 22:30:30 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Tue, 5 Aug 2014 00:53:12 -0400, "Gus" >
>wrote:
>
>> "sf" > wrote in message
>> > You can always rape a feather duster.

>> Where do you get one of those? There is an Adam and Eve store here,
>> but she refuses to go with me. Says I will giggle non stop.
>> store

>Forget Adam and Eve, she isn't interested. Try your local hardware
>store for feather dusters - search Amazon, even Office Depot sells
>them. Come to think of it, my zoo used to sell ostrich feathers.
>
>> Anyway, the tomatoes are still growing. Debating whether I should cut
>> back the healthy one not producing. Maybe I should?
>>

>You're on your own with that decision, but my opinion is it's too late
>in the season for that plant to produce anything but leaves

A set blossom needs 45 (+ or -) days to become a red, juicy tomato.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Gus" > wrote in message
>> "sf" > wrote in message
>>> You can always rape a feather duster.

>> Where do you get one of those? There is an Adam and Eve store here,
>> but she refuses to go with me. Says I will giggle non stop.
>>
>> Anyway, the tomatoes are still growing. Debating whether I should
>> cut back the healthy one not producing. Maybe I should?

> I wouldn't.

Yeah, I'm thinking let bygones be bygones and see what happens.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gus" wrote:

>Anyway, the tomatoes are still growing. Debating whether I should cut
>back the healthy one not producing. Maybe I should?

Remove the bottom leaves.
Mound earth up over the stem about 6" deep. When tomatoes are planted
from seed it's best to use pots. When transfering to the ground heel
the young plant in at an angle so that at least half the stem is
buried... that section will grow lots of roots keeping the plant well
nourished. Never sow tomato seeds directly in the ground. Also never
wet tomato plant leaves, water only the ground and early in the day so
that any water on the plant will have time to dry, do not water late
in the day... best to use soaker hoses for tomatoes.
See #5:
http://gardening.about.com/od/growin...omato_Tips.htm
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 4 Aug 2014 22:57:43 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"sf" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Mon, 4 Aug 2014 19:56:16 -0400, "Gus" >
>> wrote:

>>> There is an Adam and Eve store here, but she refuses to go.... We both
>>> grew up Catholic and have "guilt"

>> You can always rape a feather duster.
>>

>That sounds like something Sheldon might do.

Sounds interesting... but I don't have a feather duster... what about
a Swiffer?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
news
> On Mon, 4 Aug 2014 22:57:43 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"sf" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> You can always rape a feather duster.
>>>

>>That sounds like something Sheldon might do.

> Sounds interesting... but I don't have a feather duster... what about
> a Swiffer?

dammit.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 05 Aug 2014 00:15:43 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> On Mon, 04 Aug 2014 22:30:30 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 5 Aug 2014 00:53:12 -0400, "Gus" >
> >wrote:
> >
> >> Anyway, the tomatoes are still growing. Debating whether I should cut
> >> back the healthy one not producing. Maybe I should?
> >>

> >You're on your own with that decision, but my opinion is it's too late
> >in the season for that plant to produce anything but leaves

> A set blossom needs 45 (+ or -) days to become a red, juicy tomato.

First, it needs some blossoms.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 4 Aug 2014 22:57:43 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Mon, 4 Aug 2014 19:56:16 -0400, "Gus" >
> > wrote:

> >> There is an Adam and Eve store here, but she refuses to go.... We both
> >> grew up Catholic and have "guilt"

> > You can always rape a feather duster.
> >

> That sounds like something Sheldon might do.

LOL

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 05 Aug 2014 00:15:43 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> > wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 04 Aug 2014 22:30:30 -0700, sf > wrote:

>> >You're on your own with that decision, but my opinion is it's too late
>> >in the season for that plant to produce anything but leaves

>> A set blossom needs 45 (+ or -) days to become a red, juicy tomato.

> First, it needs some blossoms.

It has them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message

> LOL

OT but I got to play naked backgammon with my gf yesterday... and I
won! We played acey duecey and I got bunch of 1/2s near the end.
I've never played naked before. I'm usually shy, but not with her.

It was a good day. Any day with her is a good day... I still have half
my artichoke sub. And garden omelet. I like leftovers.

I'm not sure about cutting back the tomato plant. I keep thinking it
will produce some day. Maybe Julie is right and it's a late bloomer?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 5 Aug 2014 22:31:20 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Tue, 05 Aug 2014 00:15:43 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> > > wrote:

> >> A set blossom needs 45 (+ or -) days to become a red, juicy tomato.

> > First, it needs some blossoms.

> It has them.

The other one has blossoms. That one has leaves.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 6 Aug 2014 09:00:10 -0400, "Gus" >
wrote:

> I'm not sure about cutting back the tomato plant. I keep thinking it
> will produce some day. Maybe Julie is right and it's a late bloomer?

She thinks it has blossoms already, but the way I understand the
situation - it doesn't... so I wouldn't count on it being fruitful if
I were you.

--

Never trust a dog to watch your food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 06 Aug 2014 08:31:46 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Tue, 5 Aug 2014 22:31:20 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:
>

>> "sf" > wrote in message
>> > On Tue, 05 Aug 2014 00:15:43 -0600, Janet Bostwick

>> > First, it needs some blossoms.

>> It has them.

>The other one has blossoms. That one has leaves.

It has blossoms. The problem is that the blossoms are not setting.
Janet US