Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Giant ketchup bottle draws tourists in Illinois

Giant ketchup bottle draws tourists in Illinois

Published Tuesday, July 29, 2014 | 7 a.m.

Updated 6 hours, 47 minutes ago

COLLINSVILLE, Ill. (AP) — For tourist Bruce Pasarow of Buena Park,
California, leaving Illinois before seeing what's billed as the "World's
Largest Bottle of Catsup" was not an option.

The Collinsville water tower is a depiction of Brooks Old Original Rich
and Tangy Catsup, which was once produced in the buildings beneath the
tower.

Now, the sign is for sale. Owner Larry Eckert is asking $500,000 for the
65-year-old, 170-foot-tall landmark and adjacent warehouse.

The 100,000-gallon tower never held ketchup. It hasn't been used since
Brooks moved out in the 1960s.

Judy Demoisy helped save the bottle when it was in danger of being torn
down in 1993. She says preservationists believe using it in a ketchup
museum would be great.

"It's a global condiment," she says.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/29/2014 3:49 PM, Travis McGee wrote:

> Giant ketchup bottle draws tourists in Illinois
>
> Published Tuesday, July 29, 2014 | 7 a.m.
>
> Updated 6 hours, 47 minutes ago
>
> COLLINSVILLE, Ill. (AP) — For tourist Bruce Pasarow of Buena Park,
> California, leaving Illinois before seeing what's billed as the "World's
> Largest Bottle of Catsup" was not an option.
>
> The Collinsville water tower is a depiction of Brooks Old Original Rich
> and Tangy Catsup, which was once produced in the buildings beneath the
> tower.
>
> Now, the sign is for sale. Owner Larry Eckert is asking $500,000 for the
> 65-year-old, 170-foot-tall landmark and adjacent warehouse.
>
> The 100,000-gallon tower never held ketchup. It hasn't been used since
> Brooks moved out in the 1960s.
>
> Judy Demoisy helped save the bottle when it was in danger of being torn
> down in 1993. She says preservationists believe using it in a ketchup
> museum would be great.
>
> "It's a global condiment," she says.

I've been there and photographed it. Really a neat thing to see. It's
very close to St. Louis. (and, Sheldon, not near the Interstate :-))

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, July 29, 2014 4:49:41 PM UTC-5, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 7/29/2014 3:49 PM, Travis McGee wrote:
>

> > Giant ketchup bottle draws tourists in Illinois

> > Published Tuesday, July 29, 2014 | 7 a.m.

> > Updated 6 hours, 47 minutes ago

> > COLLINSVILLE, Ill. (AP) � For tourist Bruce Pasarow of Buena Park,

> > California, leaving Illinois before seeing what's billed as the "World's

> > Largest Bottle of Catsup" was not an option.

> > The Collinsville water tower is a depiction of Brooks Old Original Rich

> > and Tangy Catsup, which was once produced in the buildings beneath the

> > tower.

> > Now, the sign is for sale. Owner Larry Eckert is asking $500,000 for the

> > 65-year-old, 170-foot-tall landmark and adjacent warehouse.

> > The 100,000-gallon tower never held ketchup. It hasn't been used since

> > Brooks moved out in the 1960s.

> > Judy Demoisy helped save the bottle when it was in danger of being torn

> > down in 1993. She says preservationists believe using it in a ketchup

> > museum would be great.

> > "It's a global condiment," she says.

> I've been there and photographed it. Really a neat thing to see. It's
>
> very close to St. Louis. (and, Sheldon, not near the Interstate :-))

We drove past it a couple weeks ago. There's a for sale sign that says
that the "Catsup" bottle was included. The Eckert family also owns apple
orchards around St. Louis. http://www.eckerts.com/

Half a million is crazy. Who the Hell would want a warehouse in
Collinsville? They should move the water tower north to near I-55.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/29/2014 7:38 PM, Bryan-TGWWW wrote:
> On Tuesday, July 29, 2014 4:49:41 PM UTC-5, Janet Wilder wrote:
>> On 7/29/2014 3:49 PM, Travis McGee wrote:
>>

>>> Giant ketchup bottle draws tourists in Illinois

>>> Published Tuesday, July 29, 2014 | 7 a.m.

>>> Updated 6 hours, 47 minutes ago

>>> COLLINSVILLE, Ill. (AP) � For tourist Bruce Pasarow of Buena Park,

>>> California, leaving Illinois before seeing what's billed as the "World's

>>> Largest Bottle of Catsup" was not an option.

>>> The Collinsville water tower is a depiction of Brooks Old Original Rich

>>> and Tangy Catsup, which was once produced in the buildings beneath the

>>> tower.

>>> Now, the sign is for sale. Owner Larry Eckert is asking $500,000 for the

>>> 65-year-old, 170-foot-tall landmark and adjacent warehouse.

>>> The 100,000-gallon tower never held ketchup. It hasn't been used since

>>> Brooks moved out in the 1960s.

>>> Judy Demoisy helped save the bottle when it was in danger of being torn

>>> down in 1993. She says preservationists believe using it in a ketchup

>>> museum would be great.

>>> "It's a global condiment," she says.

>> I've been there and photographed it. Really a neat thing to see. It's
>>
>> very close to St. Louis. (and, Sheldon, not near the Interstate :-))
>>

> We drove past it a couple weeks ago. There's a for sale sign that says
> that the "Catsup" bottle was included. The Eckert family also owns apple
> orchards around St. Louis. http://www.eckerts.com/
>
> Half a million is crazy. Who the Hell would want a warehouse in
> Collinsville? They should move the water tower north to near I-55.

Then people like Sheldon could see it as they whizzed by on the
Interstate. :-)

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/29/2014 9:34 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> Then people like Sheldon could see it as they whizzed by on the
> Interstate. :-)

On his way to the vast wasteland that is Texas, no doubt.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/29/2014 8:49 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 7/29/2014 9:34 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>> Then people like Sheldon could see it as they whizzed by on the
>> Interstate. :-)

> On his way to the vast wasteland that is Texas, no doubt.
>
> Jill

LOL!

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/29/2014 3:49 PM, Travis McGee wrote:

> Giant ketchup bottle draws tourists in Illinois
>
> Published Tuesday, July 29, 2014 | 7 a.m.
>
> Updated 6 hours, 47 minutes ago
>
> COLLINSVILLE, Ill. (AP) — For tourist Bruce Pasarow of Buena Park,
> California, leaving Illinois before seeing what's billed as the
> "World's Largest Bottle of Catsup" was not an option.
>
> The Collinsville water tower is a depiction of Brooks Old Original
> Rich and Tangy Catsup, which was once produced in the buildings
> beneath the tower.
>
> Now, the sign is for sale. Owner Larry Eckert is asking $500,000 for
> the 65-year-old, 170-foot-tall landmark and adjacent warehouse.

The Oscar Meyer people sent one of their weinermobiles to the ketchup
bottle, and are now negotiating its purchase. Not a joke.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/30/2014 7:11 AM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
> On 7/29/2014 3:49 PM, Travis McGee wrote:
>>
>> Giant ketchup bottle draws tourists in Illinois
>>
>> Published Tuesday, July 29, 2014 | 7 a.m.
>>
>> Updated 6 hours, 47 minutes ago
>>
>> COLLINSVILLE, Ill. (AP) — For tourist Bruce Pasarow of Buena Park,
>> California, leaving Illinois before seeing what's billed as the
>> "World's Largest Bottle of Catsup" was not an option.
>>
>> The Collinsville water tower is a depiction of Brooks Old Original
>> Rich and Tangy Catsup, which was once produced in the buildings
>> beneath the tower.
>>
>> Now, the sign is for sale. Owner Larry Eckert is asking $500,000 for
>> the 65-year-old, 170-foot-tall landmark and adjacent warehouse.

> The Oscar Meyer people sent one of their weinermobiles to the ketchup
> bottle, and are now negotiating its purchase. Not a joke.

Ketchup with a hot dog? Yuck!

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/30/2014 8:55 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 7/30/2014 7:11 AM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
>> On 7/29/2014 3:49 PM, Travis McGee wrote:
>>>
>>> Giant ketchup bottle draws tourists in Illinois
>>>
>>> Published Tuesday, July 29, 2014 | 7 a.m.
>>>
>>> Updated 6 hours, 47 minutes ago
>>>
>>> COLLINSVILLE, Ill. (AP) — For tourist Bruce Pasarow of Buena Park,
>>> California, leaving Illinois before seeing what's billed as the
>>> "World's Largest Bottle of Catsup" was not an option.
>>>
>>> The Collinsville water tower is a depiction of Brooks Old Original
>>> Rich and Tangy Catsup, which was once produced in the buildings
>>> beneath the tower.
>>>
>>> Now, the sign is for sale. Owner Larry Eckert is asking $500,000 for
>>> the 65-year-old, 170-foot-tall landmark and adjacent warehouse.

>> The Oscar Meyer people sent one of their weinermobiles to the ketchup
>> bottle, and are now negotiating its purchase. Not a joke.
>>

> Ketchup with a hot dog? Yuck!

Must be a regional preference thing. I grew up with ketchup on hot
dogs, and only gradually learned to dab mustard on as well. I also
like to tuck paper-thin slices of garlicky dill pickle into the bun.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, July 29, 2014 10:49:45 AM UTC-10, Travis McGee wrote:
> Giant ketchup bottle draws tourists in Illinois
>

> Published Tuesday, July 29, 2014 | 7 a.m.
>

> Updated 6 hours, 47 minutes ago
>

> COLLINSVILLE, Ill. (AP) � For tourist Bruce Pasarow of Buena Park,
>
> California, leaving Illinois before seeing what's billed as the "World's
>
> Largest Bottle of Catsup" was not an option.
>

> The Collinsville water tower is a depiction of Brooks Old Original Rich
>
> and Tangy Catsup, which was once produced in the buildings beneath the
>
> tower.
>

> Now, the sign is for sale. Owner Larry Eckert is asking $500,000 for the
>
> 65-year-old, 170-foot-tall landmark and adjacent warehouse.
>

> The 100,000-gallon tower never held ketchup. It hasn't been used since
>
> Brooks moved out in the 1960s.
>

> Judy Demoisy helped save the bottle when it was in danger of being torn
>
> down in 1993. She says preservationists believe using it in a ketchup
>
> museum would be great.
>

> "It's a global condiment," she says.

I don't know why there are not more giant foods being made. Everybody loves them. Nothing grabs us deep within our psyche and gets our juices flowing quite like the sight of a gaint hot dog or doughnut. We used to have a giant pineapple in Honolulu. It was great growing up with the big pineapple. Living in a place with such a thing you get the feeling that anything is possible. The next decade will see Honolulu changed with the coming of giant glass towers. Between 20 and 30 of them. It's gonna change the landscape and our way of life in a big way. I'll take a giant pineapple any day.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, July 30, 2014 1:27:00 PM UTC-5, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
> On 7/30/2014 8:55 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:

> >> The Oscar Meyer people sent one of their weinermobiles to the ketchup

> >> bottle, and are now negotiating its purchase. Not a joke.

The Johnsonville folks know better. Ketchup on a bratwurst is sacrilege.

> > Ketchup with a hot dog? Yuck!

> Must be a regional preference thing. I grew up with ketchup on hot
>
> dogs, and only gradually learned to dab mustard on as well. I also
>
> like to tuck paper-thin slices of garlicky dill pickle into the bun.

I'm with Janet on this one. If I were to eat a hot dog on a bun, it would
be with mustard. Hot dogs are not something I'd choose to eat if there were
an alternative, and if I did eat them, I'd want them cold and by themselves,
to woof down quickly with minimal tasting.

On another, COMPLETELY OFF TOPIC note, still no beer after 3 weeks. Crazy
shit. I did something really off the wall today. I got out my guitar,
which I haven't really played for 5 years, and I got new strings--very new,
as in completely different. For the guitar folks here, I changed from GHS
flatwounds, .056----.013, to GHS semi-flats, .042----.009, and went from a Dunlop nylon .60 to a .38--a really floppy pick. ****, my 1996 Blueshawk
never sounded better--taking into account that I'm playing through a crappy
old solid state Crate. This one is identical to mine:
http://cdn1.gbase.com/usercontent/ge...ruge3vp_so.jpg

Now, I need to lug my one of these up from the basement:
http://www.mercurymagnetics.com/imag...usicMan210.jpg
I also have two identical Fender PA-135 heads, which are great as bass
heads, and also for keyboards/sax/etc. if matched with the correct speakers..
My son is taking drum lessons at school next year, and it would be fun as
heck to put together a band of snot-nosed boys to play obnoxious humor-punk..

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/30/2014 3:38 PM, Bryan-TGWWW wrote:

> I'm with Janet on this one. If I were to eat a hot dog on a bun, it would
> be with mustard. Hot dogs are not something I'd choose to eat if there were
> an alternative, and if I did eat them, I'd want them cold and by themselves,
> to woof down quickly with minimal tasting.
>
> On another, COMPLETELY OFF TOPIC note, still no beer after 3 weeks. Crazy
> shit. I did something really off the wall today. I got out my guitar,
> which I haven't really played for 5 years, and I got new strings--very new,
> as in completely different. For the guitar folks here, I changed from GHS
> flatwounds, .056----.013, to GHS semi-flats, .042----.009, and went from a Dunlop nylon .60 to a .38--a really floppy pick. ****, my 1996 Blueshawk
> never sounded better--taking into account that I'm playing through a crappy
> old solid state Crate. This one is identical to mine:
> http://cdn1.gbase.com/usercontent/ge...ruge3vp_so.jpg
>
> Now, I need to lug my one of these up from the basement:
> http://www.mercurymagnetics.com/imag...usicMan210.jpg
> I also have two identical Fender PA-135 heads, which are great as bass
> heads, and also for keyboards/sax/etc. if matched with the correct speakers.
> My son is taking drum lessons at school next year, and it would be fun as
> heck to put together a band of snot-nosed boys to play obnoxious humor-punk.
>
> --Bryan

Proud of you for staying off beer for 3 weeks, that is an
accomplishment. Enjoy playing that guitar.

One of the newest theaters near us, has $1 hot dogs, which is really the
only incentive to buy them. Admission during the day is $5, so this is
cheap, fun entertainment during the summer.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, July 30, 2014 4:41:39 PM UTC-5, Ema Nymton wrote:
> On 7/30/2014 3:38 PM, Bryan-TGWWW wrote:
>

> > I'm with Janet on this one. If I were to eat a hot dog on a bun, it would

> > be with mustard. Hot dogs are not something I'd choose to eat if there were

> > an alternative, and if I did eat them, I'd want them cold and by themselves,

> > to woof down quickly with minimal tasting.

> > On another, COMPLETELY OFF TOPIC note, still no beer after 3 weeks. Crazy

> > shit. I did something really off the wall today. I got out my guitar,

> > which I haven't really played for 5 years, and I got new strings--very new,

> > as in completely different. For the guitar folks here, I changed from GHS

> > flatwounds, .056----.013, to GHS semi-flats, .042----.009, and went from a Dunlop nylon .60 to a .38--a really floppy pick. ****, my 1996 Blueshawk

> > never sounded better--taking into account that I'm playing through a crappy

> > old solid state Crate. This one is identical to mine:

> > http://cdn1.gbase.com/usercontent/ge...ruge3vp_so.jpg

> > Now, I need to lug my one of these up from the basement:

> > http://www.mercurymagnetics.com/imag...usicMan210.jpg

> > I also have two identical Fender PA-135 heads, which are great as bass

> > heads, and also for keyboards/sax/etc. if matched with the correct speakers.

> > My son is taking drum lessons at school next year, and it would be fun as

> > heck to put together a band of snot-nosed boys to play obnoxious humor-punk.

> > --Bryan

> Proud of you for staying off beer for 3 weeks, that is an
>
> accomplishment. Enjoy playing that guitar.
>

> One of the newest theaters near us, has $1 hot dogs, which is really the
>
> only incentive to buy them. Admission during the day is $5, so this is
>
> cheap, fun entertainment during the summer.

A couple of theaters here have $5 Wednesdays. If you haven't seen The
Fault In Our Stars, it's well worth $5. When we saw it, there were
folks sobbing all over the theater.

> Becca

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, July 30, 2014 3:18:20 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> On Tuesday, July 29, 2014 10:49:45 AM UTC-10, Travis McGee wrote:
>
> > Giant ketchup bottle draws tourists in Illinois

> > Published Tuesday, July 29, 2014 | 7 a.m.

> > Updated 6 hours, 47 minutes ago

> > COLLINSVILLE, Ill. (AP) � For tourist Bruce Pasarow of Buena Park,

> > California, leaving Illinois before seeing what's billed as the "World's

> > Largest Bottle of Catsup" was not an option.

> > The Collinsville water tower is a depiction of Brooks Old Original Rich

> > and Tangy Catsup, which was once produced in the buildings beneath the

> > tower.

> > Now, the sign is for sale. Owner Larry Eckert is asking $500,000 for the

> > 65-year-old, 170-foot-tall landmark and adjacent warehouse.

> > The 100,000-gallon tower never held ketchup. It hasn't been used since

> > Brooks moved out in the 1960s.

> > Judy Demoisy helped save the bottle when it was in danger of being torn

> > down in 1993. She says preservationists believe using it in a ketchup

> > museum would be great.

> > "It's a global condiment," she says.

> I don't know why there are not more giant foods being made. Everybody loves them. Nothing grabs us deep within our psyche and gets our juices flowing quite like the sight of a gaint hot dog or doughnut. We used to have a giant pineapple in Honolulu. It was great growing up with the big pineapple. Living in a place with such a thing you get the feeling that anything is possible. The next decade will see Honolulu changed with the coming of giant glass towers. Between 20 and 30 of them. It's gonna change the landscape and our way of life in a big way. I'll take a giant pineapple any day.

I agree, even though I dislike both doughnuts and hot dogs, raw pineapple
makes my mouth hurt, and I can't stand cooked pineapple. Giant ice cream
cones are cool too.
http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/W...Cone_Affton_MO

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/30/2014 9:00 PM, Bryan-TGWWW wrote:
> On Wednesday, July 30, 2014 4:41:39 PM UTC-5, Ema Nymton wrote:

>> Proud of you for staying off beer for 3 weeks, that is an
>>
>> accomplishment. Enjoy playing that guitar.
>>

>> One of the newest theaters near us, has $1 hot dogs, which is
>> really the
>>
>> only incentive to buy them. Admission during the day is $5, so this
>> is
>>
>> cheap, fun entertainment during the summer.
>>

> A couple of theaters here have $5 Wednesdays. If you haven't seen
> The Fault In Our Stars, it's well worth $5. When we saw it, there
> were folks sobbing all over the theater.

We just saw the movie Hercules, which was 100% awesome! I am a huge
Hercules fan, so maybe you can't go by me. I thought about seeing The
Fault In Our Stars, but I was afraid it would be depressing. Thanks for
the thumbs-up on that movie.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/30/2014 4:04 PM, Bryan-TGWWW wrote:
> On Wednesday, July 30, 2014 3:18:20 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
>> On Tuesday, July 29, 2014 10:49:45 AM UTC-10, Travis McGee wrote:
>>
>>> Giant ketchup bottle draws tourists in Illinois

>>> Published Tuesday, July 29, 2014 | 7 a.m.

>>> Updated 6 hours, 47 minutes ago

>>> COLLINSVILLE, Ill. (AP) � For tourist Bruce Pasarow of Buena Park,

>>> California, leaving Illinois before seeing what's billed as the "World's

>>> Largest Bottle of Catsup" was not an option.

>>> The Collinsville water tower is a depiction of Brooks Old Original Rich

>>> and Tangy Catsup, which was once produced in the buildings beneath the

>>> tower.

>>> Now, the sign is for sale. Owner Larry Eckert is asking $500,000 for the

>>> 65-year-old, 170-foot-tall landmark and adjacent warehouse.

>>> The 100,000-gallon tower never held ketchup. It hasn't been used since

>>> Brooks moved out in the 1960s.

>>> Judy Demoisy helped save the bottle when it was in danger of being torn

>>> down in 1993. She says preservationists believe using it in a ketchup

>>> museum would be great.

>>> "It's a global condiment," she says.

>> I don't know why there are not more giant foods being made. Everybody loves them. Nothing grabs us deep within our psyche and gets our juices flowing quite like the sight of a gaint hot dog or doughnut. We used to have a giant pineapple in Honolulu. It was great growing up with the big pineapple. Living in a place with such a thing you get the feeling that anything is possible. The next decade will see Honolulu changed with the coming of giant glass towers. Between 20 and 30 of them. It's gonna change the landscape and our way of life in a big way. I'll take a giant pineapple any day.

> I agree, even though I dislike both doughnuts and hot dogs, raw pineapple
> makes my mouth hurt, and I can't stand cooked pineapple. Giant ice cream
> cones are cool too.
> http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/W...Cone_Affton_MO
>
> --Bryan

A big ice cream cone in front of a school? The kids must dig that!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/30/2014 10:38 AM, Bryan-TGWWW wrote:
> On Wednesday, July 30, 2014 1:27:00 PM UTC-5, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

> The Johnsonville folks know better. Ketchup on a bratwurst is sacrilege.
>>
>>> Ketchup with a hot dog? Yuck!

>> Must be a regional preference thing. I grew up with ketchup on hot
>>
>> dogs, and only gradually learned to dab mustard on as well. I also
>>
>> like to tuck paper-thin slices of garlicky dill pickle into the bun.

> I'm with Janet on this one. If I were to eat a hot dog on a bun, it would
> be with mustard. Hot dogs are not something I'd choose to eat if there were
> an alternative, and if I did eat them, I'd want them cold and by themselves,
> to woof down quickly with minimal tasting.
>
> On another, COMPLETELY OFF TOPIC note, still no beer after 3 weeks. Crazy
> shit. I did something really off the wall today. I got out my guitar,
> which I haven't really played for 5 years, and I got new strings--very new,
> as in completely different. For the guitar folks here, I changed from GHS
> flatwounds, .056----.013, to GHS semi-flats, .042----.009, and went from a Dunlop nylon .60 to a .38--a really floppy pick. ****, my 1996 Blueshawk
> never sounded better--taking into account that I'm playing through a crappy
> old solid state Crate. This one is identical to mine:
> http://cdn1.gbase.com/usercontent/ge...ruge3vp_so.jpg
>
> Now, I need to lug my one of these up from the basement:
> http://www.mercurymagnetics.com/imag...usicMan210.jpg
> I also have two identical Fender PA-135 heads, which are great as bass
> heads, and also for keyboards/sax/etc. if matched with the correct speakers.
> My son is taking drum lessons at school next year, and it would be fun as
> heck to put together a band of snot-nosed boys to play obnoxious humor-punk.
>
> --Bryan

I assume you're talking about the GHS "Brite Flats." I've never tried
those before but the I like the idea.

I used to favor Fender strings because they used to flatten the string
surface. My assumption is that they ran it through a die. That part was
never in the advertising but it was fairly obvious that the winds were
finished this way. As an added bonus, they were dirt cheap.

I'll also have to put down one of those Blueshawk on my watch list. :-)