Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Powdered Peanut Butter?

Does anyone use it? Perusing items I can have delivered via Google
Shopping Express and powdered peanut butter was listed by Whole Foods.
Say, what??? I am Googling for recipes and found one for chocolate
chip peanut butter cookies that sounds good. How do you use it?

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/28/2014 3:11 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Jul 2014 12:29:43 -0700, sf wrote:
>
>> Does anyone use it? Perusing items I can have delivered via Google
>> Shopping Express and powdered peanut butter was listed by Whole Foods.
>> Say, what??? I am Googling for recipes and found one for chocolate
>> chip peanut butter cookies that sounds good. How do you use it?

> Powdered Peanut Butter, such as that "PB2" crap, is terrible stuff.
> It's what's leftover after they've extracted 97% of the oil from the
> peanuts for use as cooking coil. It's nothing like peanut butter and
> should be avoided at all costs.
>
> That PB2 crap is pure marketing bullshit. They charge $6.50 for a
> 16fl.oz jar when it literally costs them about $.04 plus the cost of
> packaging.
>
> -sw

Does anyone remember the big cans of dark peanut butter from the US
Government surplus? When I was a camp counselor we would steal a can
fro the kitchen and sit around it with big spoons. That was the best
peanut butter I've ever had.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/28/2014 4:01 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> Does anyone remember the big cans of dark peanut butter from the US
> Government surplus? When I was a camp counselor we would steal a can
> fro the kitchen and sit around it with big spoons. That was the best
> peanut butter I've ever had.

Yep... it would separate and the oil would come to the top and you would
have to stir it all up.

Government peanut butter, cheese, macaroni, powdered milk, spam, rice.
When I was a kid, there were a couple of years that this stuff was
important in our house.

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 28 Jul 2014 16:37:30 -0500, George Leppla
> wrote:

> Government peanut butter, cheese, macaroni, powdered milk, spam, rice.
> When I was a kid, there were a couple of years that this stuff was
> important in our house.

We were lucky because we didn't need that, but an oldster shared some
of the cheese with me and I thought it was very good. Probably
something like Velveeta, but I thought it was tasty.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/28/2014 5:55 PM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Jul 2014 16:37:30 -0500, George Leppla
> > wrote:
>
>> Government peanut butter, cheese, macaroni, powdered milk, spam, rice.
>> When I was a kid, there were a couple of years that this stuff was
>> important in our house.

> We were lucky because we didn't need that, but an oldster shared some
> of the cheese with me and I thought it was very good. Probably
> something like Velveeta, but I thought it was tasty.

Welfare Cheese! It's a large oblong brick of yellow cheese. Probably
some kind of "American" cheese. It's very creamy and very salty. About
the only thing it's good for is mac and cheese.

When I was out of work one time, while raising the kids, the township
gave me a basket and there was a brick of that cheese in there.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 28 Jul 2014 18:42:38 -0500, Janet Wilder >
wrote:

> Welfare Cheese! It's a large oblong brick of yellow cheese. Probably
> some kind of "American" cheese. It's very creamy and very salty. About
> the only thing it's good for is mac and cheese.

I don't remember it being salty, but yes - it was creamy. I was
surprised by how good it tasted. I bet it would have been great in
mac & cheese.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 28 Jul 2014 22:08:26 -0700, sf wrote:

> I don't remember it being salty, but yes - it was creamy. I was
> surprised by how good it tasted. I bet it would have been great in
> mac & cheese.

A thick slice of the cheese, a thick slice of farm fresh tomato, mayo on
white bread. Heaven on a summers day.

--

-Jeff B.

"Excuse me.
I don't mean to impose,
but I am the Ocean."

~ The Salton Sea
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/29/2014 12:08 AM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Jul 2014 18:42:38 -0500, Janet Wilder >
> wrote:
>
>> Welfare Cheese! It's a large oblong brick of yellow cheese. Probably
>> some kind of "American" cheese. It's very creamy and very salty. About
>> the only thing it's good for is mac and cheese.

> I don't remember it being salty, but yes - it was creamy. I was
> surprised by how good it tasted. I bet it would have been great in
> mac & cheese.

We ate so much "welfare" mac and cheese when I was a kid that I swore
when I grew up I'd never eat it again. But it is comfort food for me and
we have it every now and then.

The other way we used it was even simpler... a slice of cheese on white
bread with mustard. Too many lunches to count.

There were other items that we didn't use often and my parents traded
them with other people. I know there were different kinds of beans
every now and then that my folks traded away.

Where we lived, it wasn't unusual for people to be getting this food. I
found out later that it was easy to get on the welfare food list back
then... you just paid the local administrator $50 and you were in so
there were a lot of people in the program that probably didn't qualify.
This was the mid to late 50's and early 60's.

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 28 Jul 2014 18:42:38 -0500, Janet Wilder wrote:

> Welfare Cheese! It's a large oblong brick of yellow cheese. Probably
> some kind of "American" cheese. It's very creamy and very salty. About
> the only thing it's good for is mac and cheese.

It makes good grilled cheese and cheese toast, too. My school received
government cheese.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 28 Jul 2014 16:01:41 -0500, Janet Wilder wrote:

> Does anyone remember the big cans of dark peanut butter from the US
> Government surplus? When I was a camp counselor we would steal a can
> fro the kitchen and sit around it with big spoons. That was the best
> peanut butter I've ever had.

My school served peanut butter and honey sandwiches. I'm pretty sure the
peanut butter and honey were both government commodities. The sandwiches
were good.

Tara

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Tara" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 28 Jul 2014 18:42:38 -0500, Janet Wilder wrote:
>
>> Welfare Cheese! It's a large oblong brick of yellow cheese. Probably
>> some kind of "American" cheese. It's very creamy and very salty. About
>> the only thing it's good for is mac and cheese.

> It makes good grilled cheese and cheese toast, too. My school received
> government cheese.
>
> Tara

Ours too. It was a real treat back in those days that we would occasionally
get a slice of cheese and a few saltines crackers. I still remember it as
wonderful. We were a one room school with 8 grades, but few students. :-)

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 29 Jul 2014 06:56:59 -0500, George Leppla
> wrote:

>On 7/29/2014 12:08 AM, sf wrote:
>> On Mon, 28 Jul 2014 18:42:38 -0500, Janet Wilder >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Welfare Cheese! It's a large oblong brick of yellow cheese. Probably
>>> some kind of "American" cheese. It's very creamy and very salty. About
>>> the only thing it's good for is mac and cheese.

>> I don't remember it being salty, but yes - it was creamy. I was
>> surprised by how good it tasted. I bet it would have been great in
>> mac & cheese.
>>

>We ate so much "welfare" mac and cheese when I was a kid that I swore
>when I grew up I'd never eat it again. But it is comfort food for me and
>we have it every now and then.
>
>The other way we used it was even simpler... a slice of cheese on white
>bread with mustard. Too many lunches to count.
>
>There were other items that we didn't use often and my parents traded
>them with other people. I know there were different kinds of beans
>every now and then that my folks traded away.
>
>Where we lived, it wasn't unusual for people to be getting this food. I
>found out later that it was easy to get on the welfare food list back
>then... you just paid the local administrator $50 and you were in so
>there were a lot of people in the program that probably didn't qualify.
> This was the mid to late 50's and early 60's.
>
>George L

I still occasionally like a cheese sandwich on plain white bread with
mustard and thin slices of onion.
Even now when I make a snack plate, if it has cheddar cheese on it,
there's mustard and onion on the plate too.

koko
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Tuesday, July 29, 2014 12:35:28 PM UTC-7, koko wrote:

> I still occasionally like a cheese sandwich on plain white bread with
>
> mustard and thin slices of onion.
>
> Even now when I make a snack plate, if it has cheddar cheese on it,
>
> there's mustard and onion on the plate too.

This thread is bringing back childhood memories. One of my favorite sandwiches when I was a kid was a think slice of the cheese with lots of mayo on both sides of the bread and potato chips crushed up inside the sandwich. You put the bread, then mayo, then the cheese, then the potato chips then the other slice of bread with mayo on it and mash down to crush the chips....and eat. It was yummy.

Can't do that today, way too many carbs but I bet it still tastes good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ImStillMags" > wrote in message
> On Tuesday, July 29, 2014 12:35:28 PM UTC-7, koko wrote:
>

>> I still occasionally like a cheese sandwich on plain white bread with
>>
>> mustard and thin slices of onion.
>>
>> Even now when I make a snack plate, if it has cheddar cheese on it,
>>
>> there's mustard and onion on the plate too.
>>

> This thread is bringing back childhood memories. One of my favorite
> sandwiches when I was a kid was a think slice of the cheese with lots of
> mayo on both sides of the bread and potato chips crushed up inside the
> sandwich. You put the bread, then mayo, then the cheese, then the potato
> chips then the other slice of bread with mayo on it and mash down to crush
> the chips....and eat. It was yummy.

When I was young we had something very similar, but with butter instead of
mayo

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/29/2014 11:03 AM, Tara wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Jul 2014 18:42:38 -0500, Janet Wilder wrote:
>
>> Welfare Cheese! It's a large oblong brick of yellow cheese. Probably
>> some kind of "American" cheese. It's very creamy and very salty. About
>> the only thing it's good for is mac and cheese.

> It makes good grilled cheese and cheese toast, too. My school received
> government cheese.
>
> Tara

They gave out boxes of powdered milk, I know that because my grandfather
would buy it from the man who cut his grass. He had a heart attack and
the doctor told him to lose 30 lbs and quit smoking, and he was
successful doing both. He liked powdered milk because it was fat free.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/29/2014 2:48 PM, ImStillMags wrote:

> This thread is bringing back childhood memories. One of my favorite
> sandwiches when I was a kid was a think slice of the cheese with lots
> of mayo on both sides of the bread and potato chips crushed up inside
> the sandwich. You put the bread, then mayo, then the cheese, then
> the potato chips then the other slice of bread with mayo on it and
> mash down to crush the chips....and eat. It was yummy.
>
> Can't do that today, way too many carbs but I bet it still tastes
> good.

On tuna salad sandwiches, I will put a few potato chips on top of the
tuna salad, then I use the other piece of bread to crush them in place.
Love it.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/29/2014 2:35 PM, koko wrote:

> I still occasionally like a cheese sandwich on plain white bread with
> mustard and thin slices of onion.
> Even now when I make a snack plate, if it has cheddar cheese on it,
> there's mustard and onion on the plate too.
>
> koko

Muenster cheese with good mustard on pumpernickle bread.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Tara" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 28 Jul 2014 18:42:38 -0500, Janet Wilder wrote:
>
>> Welfare Cheese! It's a large oblong brick of yellow cheese. Probably
>> some kind of "American" cheese. It's very creamy and very salty. About
>> the only thing it's good for is mac and cheese.

> It makes good grilled cheese and cheese toast, too. My school received
> government cheese.

Aha! That must be what we had! Our school had the weirdest pizza. It was
on some sort of anemic, soft white bread with what appeared to be drained
canned tomatoes on top. No seasonings. And this strange yellow cheese. I
always wondered what it was because no other cheese had that same texture.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ImStillMags" > wrote in message
On Tuesday, July 29, 2014 12:35:28 PM UTC-7, koko wrote:

> I still occasionally like a cheese sandwich on plain white bread with
>
> mustard and thin slices of onion.
>
> Even now when I make a snack plate, if it has cheddar cheese on it,
>
> there's mustard and onion on the plate too.

This thread is bringing back childhood memories. One of my favorite
sandwiches when I was a kid was a think slice of the cheese with lots of
mayo on both sides of the bread and potato chips crushed up inside the
sandwich. You put the bread, then mayo, then the cheese, then the potato
chips then the other slice of bread with mayo on it and mash down to crush
the chips....and eat. It was yummy.

Can't do that today, way too many carbs but I bet it still tastes good.
---

I had peanut butter and American cheese.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/29/2014 4:27 PM, Ema Nymton wrote:
> On 7/29/2014 11:03 AM, Tara wrote:
>> On Mon, 28 Jul 2014 18:42:38 -0500, Janet Wilder wrote:
>>
>>> Welfare Cheese! It's a large oblong brick of yellow cheese. Probably
>>> some kind of "American" cheese. It's very creamy and very salty. About
>>> the only thing it's good for is mac and cheese.

>> It makes good grilled cheese and cheese toast, too. My school received
>> government cheese.
>>
>> Tara

> They gave out boxes of powdered milk, I know that because my grandfather
> would buy it from the man who cut his grass. He had a heart attack and
> the doctor told him to lose 30 lbs and quit smoking, and he was
> successful doing both. He liked powdered milk because it was fat free.
>
> Becca

I used to get the powdered milk as well. I'd use 1 1/2 times the amount
of powder in the recipe to make the milk taste a little richer.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/29/2014 4:29 PM, Ema Nymton wrote:
> On 7/29/2014 2:48 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
>
>> This thread is bringing back childhood memories. One of my favorite
>> sandwiches when I was a kid was a think slice of the cheese with lots
>> of mayo on both sides of the bread and potato chips crushed up inside
>> the sandwich. You put the bread, then mayo, then the cheese, then
>> the potato chips then the other slice of bread with mayo on it and
>> mash down to crush the chips....and eat. It was yummy.
>>
>> Can't do that today, way too many carbs but I bet it still tastes
>> good.

> On tuna salad sandwiches, I will put a few potato chips on top of the
> tuna salad, then I use the other piece of bread to crush them in place.
> Love it.
>
> Becca

When I was a kid I loved a pickle, mustard and potato chip sandwich on
challah.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas