Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default dinner tonight 14/07/27

Lamb loin chops grilled on the gas BBQ
Fresh green peas
salad with blue cheese dressing
veggie kebabs

My wife had picked up a package of 5 Australian lamb chops and
supplemented them with 2 Ontario lamb chops. I got the two Ontario
because they were thicker, and I like mine more rare than she does, and
the other thick one was Australian. I have to say I could not detect a
difference. They were all wonderful

Fresh peas.... OMG they were incredible. But sheeesh,,, $3.99 a quart,
15 minutes to shuck them and there was barely enough for two.

Dessert was a church lady cherry pie.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

>Fresh peas.... OMG they were incredible. But sheeesh,,, $3.99 a quart,
>15 minutes to shuck them and there was barely enough for two.

Um, peas are about the easiest veggie to grow... I grow sugar peas and
snow peas... no shucking, they're totally edible.
http://www.burpee.com/search/search....estid=13 5343
Plant early spring, lay a strip of chicken wire over the row or the
crows will get them. And if you think 'fresh' peas from the market are
good you've been missing out, peas like corn turn their sugar to
starch as soon as they're picked... unless you've grown your own yoose
have no idea how good peas taste. Peas are prolific, plenty to pick
n' eat. Picked my first two Kirbys today, plenty more coming:
http://i59.tinypic.com/2zxwpbr.jpg
Kirbys are another easy to grow very prolific producer, I love their
texture... old market cukes are no comparison to fresh picked...
munched those with dinner.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, July 27, 2014 8:04:32 PM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
> Lamb loin chops grilled on the gas BBQ
>
> Fresh green peas
>
> salad with blue cheese dressing
>
> veggie kebabs
>

> My wife had picked up a package of 5 Australian lamb chops and
>
> supplemented them with 2 Ontario lamb chops. I got the two Ontario
>
> because they were thicker, and I like mine more rare than she does, and
>
> the other thick one was Australian. I have to say I could not detect a
>
> difference. They were all wonderful
>

> Fresh peas.... OMG they were incredible. But sheeesh,,, $3.99 a quart,
>
> 15 minutes to shuck them and there was barely enough for two.
>

> Dessert was a church lady cherry pie.

Lamb Chops!! I'm jealous.
I used that sauce recipe I got the other night from y'all, can't think of the name of it. I kind of abbreviated the two recipes, with chopped tomatoes, onions, garlic, cilantro, olives, lime, chile peppers; I didn't have all the stuff and did some substitutions, but most of it, and it was delicious over floured sautéed chicken breasts. Had some fresh corn with it, ate an apple as an appetizer and trying to resist dessert.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/27/2014 7:04 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> Lamb loin chops grilled on the gas BBQ
> Fresh green peas
> salad with blue cheese dressing
> veggie kebabs
>
> My wife had picked up a package of 5 Australian lamb chops and
> supplemented them with 2 Ontario lamb chops. I got the two Ontario
> because they were thicker, and I like mine more rare than she does, and
> the other thick one was Australian. I have to say I could not detect a
> difference. They were all wonderful
>
> Fresh peas.... OMG they were incredible. But sheeesh,,, $3.99 a quart,
> 15 minutes to shuck them and there was barely enough for two.
>
> Dessert was a church lady cherry pie.

I made a rib eye on the gas grill. Served it with almost caramelized
onions, fresh asparagus and tiny peas. Will have rest of meat and
onions tomorrow and probably change the side dish to mashed potato.
Have to eat more asparagus as even the small bunch is a lot for one person.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 27 Jul 2014 20:04:32 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>Lamb loin chops grilled on the gas BBQ
>Fresh green peas
>salad with blue cheese dressing
>veggie kebabs
>
>My wife had picked up a package of 5 Australian lamb chops and
>supplemented them with 2 Ontario lamb chops. I got the two Ontario
>because they were thicker, and I like mine more rare than she does, and
>the other thick one was Australian. I have to say I could not detect a
>difference. They were all wonderful
>
>Fresh peas.... OMG they were incredible. But sheeesh,,, $3.99 a quart,
>15 minutes to shuck them and there was barely enough for two.
>
>Dessert was a church lady cherry pie.

I thawed out a dozen large shrimp, marinated them in a
ginger/chili/lime/garlic mixture, stuck them on skewers, then cooked
them on the BBQ. We also had BBQd skewered veggies. But we started the
meal with a couple ears each of freshly picked corn.

Doris

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/27/2014 9:40 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 7/27/2014 7:04 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> Lamb loin chops grilled on the gas BBQ
>> Fresh green peas
>> salad with blue cheese dressing
>> veggie kebabs
>>
>> My wife had picked up a package of 5 Australian lamb chops and
>> supplemented them with 2 Ontario lamb chops. I got the two Ontario
>> because they were thicker, and I like mine more rare than she does, and
>> the other thick one was Australian. I have to say I could not detect a
>> difference. They were all wonderful
>>
>> Fresh peas.... OMG they were incredible. But sheeesh,,, $3.99 a quart,
>> 15 minutes to shuck them and there was barely enough for two.
>>
>> Dessert was a church lady cherry pie.

> I made a rib eye on the gas grill. Served it with almost caramelized
> onions, fresh asparagus and tiny peas. Will have rest of meat and
> onions tomorrow and probably change the side dish to mashed potato. Have
> to eat more asparagus as even the small bunch is a lot for one person.

Hmmm, leftover raw asparagus. Might there be enough to make a small
batch of cream of asparagus soup?

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 27 Jul 2014 20:04:32 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> Lamb loin chops grilled on the gas BBQ
> Fresh green peas
> salad with blue cheese dressing
> veggie kebabs

Chicken and corn chowder here. Baguette on the side - no dessert.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/27/2014 10:35 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 7/27/2014 9:40 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>> On 7/27/2014 7:04 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>>> Lamb loin chops grilled on the gas BBQ
>>> Fresh green peas
>>> salad with blue cheese dressing
>>> veggie kebabs
>>>
>>> My wife had picked up a package of 5 Australian lamb chops and
>>> supplemented them with 2 Ontario lamb chops. I got the two Ontario
>>> because they were thicker, and I like mine more rare than she does, and
>>> the other thick one was Australian. I have to say I could not detect a
>>> difference. They were all wonderful
>>>
>>> Fresh peas.... OMG they were incredible. But sheeesh,,, $3.99 a quart,
>>> 15 minutes to shuck them and there was barely enough for two.
>>>
>>> Dessert was a church lady cherry pie.

>> I made a rib eye on the gas grill. Served it with almost caramelized
>> onions, fresh asparagus and tiny peas. Will have rest of meat and
>> onions tomorrow and probably change the side dish to mashed potato. Have
>> to eat more asparagus as even the small bunch is a lot for one person.
>>

> Hmmm, leftover raw asparagus. Might there be enough to make a small
> batch of cream of asparagus soup?
>
> Jill

There certainly is, but I'm not a big fan of cream soups, other than one
made with wild mushrooms from scratch.

I thought of possibly pickling them.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/27/2014 8:35 PM, Terrence Crimmins wrote:
> On Sunday, July 27, 2014 8:04:32 PM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
>> Lamb loin chops grilled on the gas BBQ
>>
>> Fresh green peas
>>
>> salad with blue cheese dressing
>>
>> veggie kebabs
>>

>> My wife had picked up a package of 5 Australian lamb chops and
>>
>> supplemented them with 2 Ontario lamb chops. I got the two Ontario
>>
>> because they were thicker, and I like mine more rare than she does, and
>>
>> the other thick one was Australian. I have to say I could not detect a
>>
>> difference. They were all wonderful
>>

>> Fresh peas.... OMG they were incredible. But sheeesh,,, $3.99 a quart,
>>
>> 15 minutes to shuck them and there was barely enough for two.
>>

>> Dessert was a church lady cherry pie.

> Lamb Chops!! I'm jealous.
> I used that sauce recipe I got the other night from y'all, can't think of the name of it. I kind of abbreviated the two recipes, with chopped tomatoes, onions, garlic, cilantro, olives, lime, chile peppers; I didn't have all the stuff and did some substitutions, but most of it, and it was delicious over floured sautéed chicken breasts. Had some fresh corn with it, ate an apple as an appetizer and trying to resist dessert.

Vera Cruz sauce?

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 28 Jul 2014 07:16:04 -0500, Janet Wilder >
wrote:

>I'm not a big fan of cream soups, other than one
>made with wild mushrooms from scratch.

I don't like cream soups either, not even mushroom, mushroom I like in
beef barley. The only soups I like with dairy are cold borchst and
shav... w/sour cream. I do like tomato soup but not cream of.

>I thought of possibly pickling them.

Raw asparagus are good pickled but if only a handful I'd use them in a
salad, or in an omelet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 28 Jul 2014 07:16:21 -0500, Janet Wilder >
wrote:

> On 7/27/2014 8:35 PM, Terrence Crimmins wrote:
> >

> > Lamb Chops!! I'm jealous.
> > I used that sauce recipe I got the other night from y'all, can't think of the name of it. I kind of abbreviated the two recipes, with chopped tomatoes, onions, garlic, cilantro, olives, lime, chile peppers; I didn't have all the stuff and did some substitutions, but most of it, and it was delicious over floured sautéed chicken breasts. Had some fresh corn with it, ate an apple as an appetizer and trying to resist dessert.
> >

> Vera Cruz sauce?

His tomato chicken reminds me about Baked Bruschetta Chicken
http://blogfood.me/2014/06/01/baked-bruschetta-chicken/

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/28/2014 11:46 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Jul 2014 07:16:04 -0500, Janet Wilder >
> wrote:
>

>> I'm not a big fan of cream soups, other than one
>> made with wild mushrooms from scratch.

> I don't like cream soups either, not even mushroom, mushroom I like in
> beef barley. The only soups I like with dairy are cold borchst and
> shav... w/sour cream. I do like tomato soup but not cream of.
>
>> I thought of possibly pickling them.

> Raw asparagus are good pickled but if only a handful I'd use them in a
> salad, or in an omelet.

Ding! We have a winner. Omelet!

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/27/2014 8:18 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> Fresh peas.... OMG they were incredible. But sheeesh,,, $3.99 a quart,
>> 15 minutes to shuck them and there was barely enough for two.

> Um, peas are about the easiest veggie to grow... I grow sugar peas and
> snow peas... no shucking, they're totally edible.
> http://www.burpee.com/search/search....estid=13 5343
> Plant early spring, lay a strip of chicken wire over the row or the
> crows will get them. And if you think 'fresh' peas from the market are
> good you've been missing out, peas like corn turn their sugar to
> starch as soon as they're picked... unless you've grown your own yoose
> have no idea how good peas taste. Peas are prolific, plenty to pick
> n' eat. Picked my first two Kirbys today, plenty more coming:
> http://i59.tinypic.com/2zxwpbr.jpg
> Kirbys are another easy to grow very prolific producer, I love their
> texture... old market cukes are no comparison to fresh picked...
> munched those with dinner.

Raw sugar peas with hummus, or any other dip, is one of my favorite
treats. I should have that more often.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 28 Jul 2014 16:45:41 -0500, Ema Nymton >
wrote:

> Raw sugar peas with hummus, or any other dip, is one of my favorite
> treats. I should have that more often.

I'll try that! I like raw cauliflower as a dipper, never considered
sugar (snap) peas.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/28/2014 6:58 PM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Jul 2014 16:45:41 -0500, Ema Nymton >
> wrote:
>
>> Raw sugar peas with hummus, or any other dip, is one of my favorite
>> treats. I should have that more often.

> I'll try that! I like raw cauliflower as a dipper, never considered
> sugar (snap) peas.

Eating hummus with sweet onion petals is pretty good, too, if you like
onions.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 29 Jul 2014 09:23:52 -0500, Ema Nymton >
wrote:

> On 7/28/2014 6:58 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Mon, 28 Jul 2014 16:45:41 -0500, Ema Nymton >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Raw sugar peas with hummus, or any other dip, is one of my favorite
> >> treats. I should have that more often.

> > I'll try that! I like raw cauliflower as a dipper, never considered
> > sugar (snap) peas.

> Eating hummus with sweet onion petals is pretty good, too, if you like
> onions.

I love raw onion, but never thought about them as a dipper. Will try
it sometime.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 29/07/2014 8:23 AM, Ema Nymton wrote:
> On 7/28/2014 6:58 PM, sf wrote:
>> On Mon, 28 Jul 2014 16:45:41 -0500, Ema Nymton >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Raw sugar peas with hummus, or any other dip, is one of my favorite
>>> treats. I should have that more often.

>> I'll try that! I like raw cauliflower as a dipper, never considered
>> sugar (snap) peas.

> Eating hummus with sweet onion petals is pretty good, too, if you like
> onions.

And afterwards your breathe obviates the need for bug spray in the house:-)
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/29/2014 10:14 AM, graham wrote:
> On 29/07/2014 8:23 AM, Ema Nymton wrote:
>> On 7/28/2014 6:58 PM, sf wrote:

>>> I'll try that! I like raw cauliflower as a dipper, never considered
>>> sugar (snap) peas.

>> Eating hummus with sweet onion petals is pretty good, too, if you like
>> onions.
>>

> And afterwards your breathe obviates the need for bug spray in the house:-)
> Graham

Ha ha! I hope it keeps vampires and zombies away.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/29/2014 9:23 AM, Ema Nymton wrote:
> On 7/28/2014 6:58 PM, sf wrote:
>> On Mon, 28 Jul 2014 16:45:41 -0500, Ema Nymton >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Raw sugar peas with hummus, or any other dip, is one of my favorite
>>> treats. I should have that more often.

>> I'll try that! I like raw cauliflower as a dipper, never considered
>> sugar (snap) peas.

> Eating hummus with sweet onion petals is pretty good, too, if you like
> onions.
>
> Becca

I'm still feeling badly for forgetting to give you and George the onions.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/29/2014 4:04 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 7/29/2014 9:23 AM, Ema Nymton wrote:
>> On 7/28/2014 6:58 PM, sf wrote:

>>> I'll try that! I like raw cauliflower as a dipper, never considered
>>> sugar (snap) peas.

>> Eating hummus with sweet onion petals is pretty good, too, if you like
>> onions.
>>
>> Becca

> I'm still feeling badly for forgetting to give you and George the onions.

Do not worry about that, it is no problem at all. We will visit the
dentist again and we will come back with onions, watermelons, poblano
chiles and who knows what else. It is cheaper to get our teeth cleaned
here, but it is not as much fun. We will be sure to see you next time.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/29/2014 5:33 PM, Ema Nymton wrote:
> On 7/29/2014 4:04 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:

>>> Eating hummus with sweet onion petals is pretty good, too, if you like
>>> onions.
>>>
>>> Becca

>> I'm still feeling badly for forgetting to give you and George the onions.

> Do not worry about that, it is no problem at all. We will visit the
> dentist again and we will come back with onions, watermelons, poblano
> chiles and who knows what else. It is cheaper to get our teeth cleaned
> here, but it is not as much fun. We will be sure to see you next time.
>
> Becca

Please take advantage of my hospitality and come stay in one of the
spare rooms.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/29/2014 8:31 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 7/29/2014 5:33 PM, Ema Nymton wrote:

>>> I'm still feeling badly for forgetting to give you and George the
>>> onions.

>> Do not worry about that, it is no problem at all. We will visit the
>> dentist again and we will come back with onions, watermelons, poblano
>> chiles and who knows what else. It is cheaper to get our teeth cleaned
>> here, but it is not as much fun. We will be sure to see you next time.
>>
>> Becca
>>

> Please take advantage of my hospitality and come stay in one of the
> spare rooms.

Janet, you are a sweetheart.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 27 Jul 2014 21:18:57 -0400, Brooklyn1
> wrote:

>Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>>Fresh peas.... OMG they were incredible. But sheeesh,,, $3.99 a quart,
>>15 minutes to shuck them and there was barely enough for two.

>Um, peas are about the easiest veggie to grow... I grow sugar peas and
>snow peas... no shucking, they're totally edible.
>http://www.burpee.com/search/search....estid=13 5343
>Plant early spring, lay a strip of chicken wire over the row or the
>crows will get them. And if you think 'fresh' peas from the market are
>good you've been missing out, peas like corn turn their sugar to
>starch as soon as they're picked... unless you've grown your own yoose
>have no idea how good peas taste. Peas are prolific, plenty to pick
>n' eat. Picked my first two Kirbys today, plenty more coming:
>http://i59.tinypic.com/2zxwpbr.jpg
>Kirbys are another easy to grow very prolific producer, I love their
>texture... old market cukes are no comparison to fresh picked...
>munched those with dinner.

when I can no longer garden and grow my own, I will no longer eat
cucumbers, green beans or corn on the cob. The stuff in the store is
nothing like the fresh picked vegetables. Can't grow peas easily
here. We go from cold to instant hot. Peas don't like that.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 27 Jul 2014 20:40:36 -0500, Janet Wilder >
wrote:

>On 7/27/2014 7:04 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> Lamb loin chops grilled on the gas BBQ
>> Fresh green peas
>> salad with blue cheese dressing
>> veggie kebabs
>>
>> My wife had picked up a package of 5 Australian lamb chops and
>> supplemented them with 2 Ontario lamb chops. I got the two Ontario
>> because they were thicker, and I like mine more rare than she does, and
>> the other thick one was Australian. I have to say I could not detect a
>> difference. They were all wonderful
>>
>> Fresh peas.... OMG they were incredible. But sheeesh,,, $3.99 a quart,
>> 15 minutes to shuck them and there was barely enough for two.
>>
>> Dessert was a church lady cherry pie.

> I made a rib eye on the gas grill. Served it with almost caramelized
>onions, fresh asparagus and tiny peas. Will have rest of meat and
>onions tomorrow and probably change the side dish to mashed potato.
>Have to eat more asparagus as even the small bunch is a lot for one person.

Treat asparagus like cut flowers. Cut a bit off the end of the stem
and stand the asparagus upright in a container. Put about an inch of
water in the container and loosely cover with a plastic bag.
Refrigerate. Asparagus will last much longer this way.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/30/2014 7:40 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Jul 2014 20:40:36 -0500, Janet Wilder >
> wrote:
>
>> On 7/27/2014 7:04 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>>> Lamb loin chops grilled on the gas BBQ
>>> Fresh green peas
>>> salad with blue cheese dressing
>>> veggie kebabs
>>>
>>> My wife had picked up a package of 5 Australian lamb chops and
>>> supplemented them with 2 Ontario lamb chops. I got the two Ontario
>>> because they were thicker, and I like mine more rare than she does, and
>>> the other thick one was Australian. I have to say I could not detect a
>>> difference. They were all wonderful
>>>
>>> Fresh peas.... OMG they were incredible. But sheeesh,,, $3.99 a quart,
>>> 15 minutes to shuck them and there was barely enough for two.
>>>
>>> Dessert was a church lady cherry pie.

>> I made a rib eye on the gas grill. Served it with almost caramelized
>> onions, fresh asparagus and tiny peas. Will have rest of meat and
>> onions tomorrow and probably change the side dish to mashed potato.
>> Have to eat more asparagus as even the small bunch is a lot for one person.

> Treat asparagus like cut flowers. Cut a bit off the end of the stem
> and stand the asparagus upright in a container. Put about an inch of
> water in the container and loosely cover with a plastic bag.
> Refrigerate. Asparagus will last much longer this way.
> Janet US

Hmmm. I do all of the above but the plastic bag. Will go find one
right now.

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 08:56:06 -0500, Janet Wilder >
wrote:

> On 7/30/2014 7:40 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> > On Sun, 27 Jul 2014 20:40:36 -0500, Janet Wilder >
> > wrote:

> >> I made a rib eye on the gas grill. Served it with almost caramelized
> >> onions, fresh asparagus and tiny peas. Will have rest of meat and
> >> onions tomorrow and probably change the side dish to mashed potato.
> >> Have to eat more asparagus as even the small bunch is a lot for one person.

> > Treat asparagus like cut flowers. Cut a bit off the end of the stem
> > and stand the asparagus upright in a container. Put about an inch of
> > water in the container and loosely cover with a plastic bag.
> > Refrigerate. Asparagus will last much longer this way.
> > Janet US
> >

> Hmmm. I do all of the above but the plastic bag. Will go find one
> right now.

Gosh, IMO - asparagus lasts practically forever without wilting. What
on earth happens to it that people think they need to plop it in a
vase with water (and how long do they keep it before cooking)?

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila