Old 22-07-2014, 02:46 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Are burger places becoming more common?

There is a somewhat new and spiffy looking shopping center in Lynnwood.

http://www.lynnwoodcrossroads.com/

They have Mod Pizza which I think is a local chain. Five Guys. Qdoba.
Teriyaki place. I think we have one of those on every corner. Yogurtland
and now we are getting a HopJacks. Seems like a local chain. Mostly
burgers, sandwiches, salads, fish tacos, the usual kind of chain place fare.
Also a bar.

*sigh*

I really wish we would get a nice good restaurant here. But no. Another
chain place. And the same sort of food that we can get anywhere.

Is this sort of place becoming more common in your area? Seems there are
very few places here any more where they do cooking from scratch. And all
of the food seems the same from one place to the next.

Old 23-07-2014, 04:42 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 Jul 2014 18:46:13 -0700, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

Is this sort of place becoming more common in your area?

No, but I haven't moved to other nearby areas because of the generic
"chain restaurant in a mall" concept.

Seems there are
very few places here any more where they do cooking from scratch. And all
of the food seems the same from one place to the next.

We ate in a historic downtown area in the Sierra foothills today. I
ordered a burger & fries ($5 lunch special). The fries were
fantastic, obviously cut on the premises and cooked just the way I
asked: crispy. I do not like fries that have been "altered" but these
came with a seasoning other than plain salt... OMG, so freeking good!
No idea what the seasoning mix was (our waitress is his wife, but she
says he won't tell her) but part of it was powdered chile (no heat).
OTOH, although the burger was cooked the way I wanted - but I'd bet
money it was a prefab, frozen burger before it went onto the grill.
What a stark contrast between the burger and fries!

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Old 23-07-2014, 05:53 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Is this sort of place becoming more common in your area?

No, but I haven't moved to other nearby areas because of the generic
"chain restaurant in a mall" concept.

Sadly that seems to be what is taking over this area. Reminds me of places
we saw on cross country moves. Pull off of the freeway at night and the sky
was all lit up with the neon signs of medicore motels and chain restaurants.
Sad.

Seems there are
very few places here any more where they do cooking from scratch. And
all
of the food seems the same from one place to the next.

We ate in a historic downtown area in the Sierra foothills today. I
ordered a burger & fries ($5 lunch special). The fries were
fantastic, obviously cut on the premises and cooked just the way I
asked: crispy. I do not like fries that have been "altered" but these
came with a seasoning other than plain salt... OMG, so freeking good!
No idea what the seasoning mix was (our waitress is his wife, but she
says he won't tell her) but part of it was powdered chile (no heat).
OTOH, although the burger was cooked the way I wanted - but I'd bet
money it was a prefab, frozen burger before it went onto the grill.
What a stark contrast between the burger and fries!

Perhaps if I ventured out a little further, I'd find better but I really
have no need to go anywhere. I should just be thankful that we do have some
good Mexican places.

Old 23-07-2014, 03:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

Why are burgers served with fries? Isn't the carbohydrate of the bread
bun enough?
Graham
Old 23-07-2014, 04:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

graham wrote:

Why are burgers served with fries? Isn't the carbohydrate of the bread
bun enough?

Nope.

G. ;-D

Old 23-07-2014, 05:29 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-07-23 10:38 AM, graham wrote:
What a stark contrast between the burger and fries!

Why are burgers served with fries? Isn't the carbohydrate of the bread
bun enough?

It's likely because the people who like high fat high salt burgers on
white buns with empty calories need some high carb, salty greasy food to
go with it.

Old 23-07-2014, 05:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 23 Jul 2014 12:29:57 -0400, Dave Smith

On 2014-07-23 10:38 AM, graham wrote:
What a stark contrast between the burger and fries!

Why are burgers served with fries? Isn't the carbohydrate of the bread
bun enough?

It's likely because the people who like high fat high salt burgers on
white buns with empty calories need some high carb, salty greasy food to
go with it.

Burgers and fries go together even better than fries and gravy.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Old 23-07-2014, 07:15 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-07-23 10:38 AM, graham wrote:
What a stark contrast between the burger and fries!

Why are burgers served with fries? Isn't the carbohydrate of the bread
bun enough?

It's likely because the people who like high fat high salt burgers on
white buns with empty calories need some high carb, salty greasy food to
go with it.

You obviously never had a good burger and fries.

--
DreadfulBitch

I'm a nobody, nobody is perfect, therefore I'm perfect.
Old 23-07-2014, 07:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-07-23 10:38 AM, graham wrote:
What a stark contrast between the burger and fries!

Why are burgers served with fries? Isn't the carbohydrate of the bread
bun enough?

It's likely because the people who like high fat high salt burgers on
white buns with empty calories need some high carb, salty greasy food to
go with it.

You obviously never had a good burger and fries.

That wasn't the point. One could have the patty, smothered in cheese and
pickles with the fries.
Graham
Old 23-07-2014, 08:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-07-23 10:38 AM, graham wrote:
What a stark contrast between the burger and fries!

Why are burgers served with fries? Isn't the carbohydrate of the bread
bun enough?

It's likely because the people who like high fat high salt burgers on
white buns with empty calories need some high carb, salty greasy food to
go with it.

Burgers and fries go together even better than fries and gravy.

Are you Canadian? :-)

--
From somewhere very deep in the heart of Texas

Old 23-07-2014, 08:31 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-07-23 10:38 AM, graham wrote:
What a stark contrast between the burger and fries!

Why are burgers served with fries? Isn't the carbohydrate of the bread
bun enough?

It's likely because the people who like high fat high salt burgers on
white buns with empty calories need some high carb, salty greasy food to
go with it.

You obviously never had a good burger and fries.

I have had good burgers and fries on several occasions. I don't live on
them. I am willing to bet that the people who live on them are not
getting the good ones. They are more likely to be fast food burgers and
fries.

Old 23-07-2014, 09:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

[...]

It's traditional to serve fries with burgers in the US. We don't typically serve fries with hot dogs but chips go well with dogs. This would not be English chips but American potato chips. In Hawaii, we like to serve spaghetti with garlic bread. Sometimes we'll add a side of macaroni salad. Don't ask me why cause the answer is "we just do."
Old 23-07-2014, 09:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-07-23 10:38 AM, graham wrote:

What a stark contrast between the burger and fries!

Why are burgers served with fries? Isn't the carbohydrate of the bread

bun enough?

It's likely because the people who like high fat high salt burgers on

white buns with empty calories need some high carb, salty greasy food to

go with it.

You obviously never had a good burger and fries.

That wasn't the point. One could have the patty, smothered in cheese and

pickles with the fries.

I have ordered a burger with no bun and extra-extra-extra pickles, and
fries with it. No cheese on the burger though if it costs extra. I see
buns as worthless carbs, whereas fries are yummy carbs.

Graham

--Bryan
Old 23-07-2014, 10:48 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Old 23-07-2014, 10:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/23/2014 3:17 PM, dsi1 wrote:

It's traditional to serve fries with burgers in the US. We don't
typically serve fries with hot dogs but chips go well with dogs. This
would not be English chips but American potato chips. In Hawaii, we
like to serve spaghetti with garlic bread. Sometimes we'll add a side
of macaroni salad. Don't ask me why cause the answer is "we just
do."

Hot dogs and chili dogs are often served with Frito's in the South. I
went to Skyline Chili, while traveling, and they had zero Frito's. I was
surprised.

Becca

common crackers Jean B.[_1_] Historic 7 29-07-2013 05:50 PM
All-Bacon Burger Created By SoCal Burger Chain Slater's 50/50 Malcom \Mal\ Reynolds General Cooking 3 09-07-2012 12:33 AM
Best Burger Places in Denver, CO lsniff Restaurants 2 12-09-2011 12:31 PM
First Burger Join in Beirut - Lebanon (Classic Burger Joint)www.cbj.me lboodl Restaurants 0 05-04-2010 12:33 PM
World's most expensive ($200) Burger King burger Corey Richardson General Cooking 7 31-07-2008 12:53 PM