Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Are burger places becoming more common?

On Wednesday, August 6, 2014 2:15:38 AM UTC+2, Julie Bove wrote:
> I don't think that's going to change the way anyone does anything. People
>
> are either careful with their food or they're not. If I go to an all you
>
> can eat place then I do try to take only what I'll eat. If it is something
>
> I'm unfamiliar with, I'll just take a test then get more if I like it. But
>
> sometimes even a familiar food will taste bad.

Especially at all you can eat places hehe. At leas tin DK that kind of place is reheated factory food.

> uch food, I'll then waste it. I rarely ever bother to take food with
>
> me as I know I won't eat it later.

At the slovenian restaurant my in law family eats at at least once per week, the portions are so large that we take the food back and have it for lunch the next 1-2 days.

> I don't know what you refer to when you say quality product or cheap buy and
>
> toss products. Perhaps you have different products than we do here. I do

You can buy e.g. furniture made from sawdust and glue that lasts 2 years, or real wooden stuff that lasts 2 centuries. Same with a cheap stereo for 50$ vs one that costs 1000$, or a 300$ consumer laptop vs a 2000$ business version. Im still using a core2duo business laptop from 2007 (never had repairs), and my pentium 4 laptop from 2004 still works as a second (no repairs), and my wife's 2011 cheap consumer laptop that is I5 just broke for no apparent reason. before she had a acer that broke after 2 y. you can get cheap generic vacuum cleaners, irons, mixers, pots and pans, whisks, palet knives, spoons for stirring, etc, with random names on them at supermarkets and they will be pretty beaten after a few months and sometimes not even last a year, and due to being so cheap a lot of people wont bother to repair them, just get a new one. A freind kept getting a cheap harddisk recorder/dvd player as the capacitors in it was rated for very few operation hours, so it blew up once per year within warranty. He just got the whole thing replaced for a new one, old one tossed. Only cost was the once per year coming home to the awful smell of burnt capacitor.
Then you also have the planned obsolescence....
In the old days things were built to last. it would do the world some good to go back to that principle.

> know that here in the PNW we are very green. Food scraps are recycled and
>
> almost everyone brings their own shopping bags.

What is PNW?

> One interesting thing though. They stopped the forced water rationing here.
>
> They said that they discovered when people were only allowed to use the hose
>
> on specific days, they were using more water than ever. Now they will
>
> reward those who use less with less money per however they charge
>
> us...gallon?

We pay per liter and a fixed "service charge". its around 40 dollars per gallon.
Rationing in denmark is done through taxation.

> Not sure. And if we use more than average, we pay more per
>
> whatever it is. I did water this year. I don't usually. I'm still under
>
> average. I rarely use my dishwasher. I have an HE clothes washer and I try
>
> to take short showers.

The benefit of 5mm hair on half my head is that my showers are around 5 min
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-08-06 10:04 AM, Michael Nielsen wrote:

> You can buy e.g. furniture made from sawdust and glue that lasts 2
> years, or real wooden stuff that lasts 2 centuries.

Too many people care only about the price tag and they buy stuff that
they can afford at the time. I have known a number of people over the
years who bought cheap living room sets and wore them out in just afew
years. The cheap fabric did not stand up to normal use. It would cost
more to reupholster them than to replace them, but most upholsterers
won't touch them, saying they are too shoddily made to be bothered with.

I used to know a guy who made envious remarks about how it must be nice
to be able to afford some of the various pieces of furniture we picked
up over the years. Sure, they cost 3 or 4 times as much as the stuff
that he had bought, and then had to replace 3 or 4 times. Mine still
looks good. He is probably still replacing his cheap crap every few years.

Our dining room Tudor style suit in dark oak. We got that one from my
father in law. He and MiL got it when they got married back in the
1930s. They paid a good buck for it. We got it from him about 30 years.
It had been well used and the leather on the chairs was in need of
repair. We spent close to $3000 to have the table, sideboard and chairs
refinished and the chairs reupholstered in a good quality leather. It
would have cost a hell of a lot more than that to buy a new suite, and
this one still looks good despite a lot of use.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/6/2014 11:25 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2014-08-06 10:04 AM, Michael Nielsen wrote:
>

>> You can buy e.g. furniture made from sawdust and glue that lasts 2
>> years, or real wooden stuff that lasts 2 centuries.

> I used to know a guy who made envious remarks about how it must be nice
> to be able to afford some of the various pieces of furniture we picked
> up over the years. Sure, they cost 3 or 4 times as much as the stuff
> that he had bought, and then had to replace 3 or 4 times. Mine still
> looks good. He is probably still replacing his cheap crap every few years.

When our family moved 64 years ago my mother bought a dresser for the
room I shared with my brother. He took it when he married about 1968
and his wife "antiqued" it. Remember that fad? I got it back when he
moved to CA and my son used it until he married and moved out. A few
years ago I stripped it and refinished it back to the natural maple.
Looks and works like it did back in 1950 and I use it every day. I
expect my grandkids can pass it on to their grandkids.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> would have cost a hell of a lot more than that to buy a new suite, and
>
> this one still looks good despite a lot of use.

And it was probably made by a person who was damn proud to make it , too. key motto of this century is "dont give a shit".
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael Nielsen" > wrote in message
On Wednesday, August 6, 2014 2:15:38 AM UTC+2, Julie Bove wrote:
> I don't think that's going to change the way anyone does anything. People
>
> are either careful with their food or they're not. If I go to an all you
>
> can eat place then I do try to take only what I'll eat. If it is
> something
>
> I'm unfamiliar with, I'll just take a test then get more if I like it.
> But
>
> sometimes even a familiar food will taste bad.

Especially at all you can eat places hehe. At leas tin DK that kind of place
is reheated factory food.

> uch food, I'll then waste it. I rarely ever bother to take food with
>
> me as I know I won't eat it later.

At the slovenian restaurant my in law family eats at at least once per week,
the portions are so large that we take the food back and have it for lunch
the next 1-2 days.

> I don't know what you refer to when you say quality product or cheap buy
> and
>
> toss products. Perhaps you have different products than we do here. I do

You can buy e.g. furniture made from sawdust and glue that lasts 2 years, or
real wooden stuff that lasts 2 centuries. Same with a cheap stereo for 50$
vs one that costs 1000$, or a 300$ consumer laptop vs a 2000$ business
version. Im still using a core2duo business laptop from 2007 (never had
repairs), and my pentium 4 laptop from 2004 still works as a second (no
repairs), and my wife's 2011 cheap consumer laptop that is I5 just broke for
no apparent reason. before she had a acer that broke after 2 y. you can get
cheap generic vacuum cleaners, irons, mixers, pots and pans, whisks, palet
knives, spoons for stirring, etc, with random names on them at supermarkets
and they will be pretty beaten after a few months and sometimes not even
last a year, and due to being so cheap a lot of people wont bother to repair
them, just get a new one. A freind kept getting a cheap harddisk
recorder/dvd player as the capacitors in it was rated for very few operation
hours, so it blew up once per year within warranty. He just got the whole
thing replaced for a new one, old one tossed. Only cost was the once per
year coming home to the awful smell of burnt capacitor.
Then you also have the planned obsolescence....
In the old days things were built to last. it would do the world some good
to go back to that principle.
---

Well maybe that's the way it is there. Here, any cooking product I bought
in a Supermarket was fine.

> know that here in the PNW we are very green. Food scraps are recycled and
>
> almost everyone brings their own shopping bags.

What is PNW?
---

Pacific Northwest.

> One interesting thing though. They stopped the forced water rationing
> here.
>
> They said that they discovered when people were only allowed to use the
> hose
>
> on specific days, they were using more water than ever. Now they will
>
> reward those who use less with less money per however they charge
>
> us...gallon?

We pay per liter and a fixed "service charge". its around 40 dollars per
gallon.
Rationing in denmark is done through taxation.
---
That's not at all how it is here. You pay for what you use.

> Not sure. And if we use more than average, we pay more per
>
> whatever it is. I did water this year. I don't usually. I'm still under
>
> average. I rarely use my dishwasher. I have an HE clothes washer and I
> try
>
> to take short showers.

The benefit of 5mm hair on half my head is that my showers are around 5 min

---

Okay.

common crackers Jean B.[_1_] Historic 7 29-07-2013 05:50 PM
All-Bacon Burger Created By SoCal Burger Chain Slater's 50/50 Malcom \Mal\ Reynolds General Cooking 3 09-07-2012 12:33 AM
Best Burger Places in Denver, CO lsniff Restaurants 2 12-09-2011 12:31 PM
First Burger Join in Beirut - Lebanon (Classic Burger Joint)www.cbj.me lboodl Restaurants 0 05-04-2010 12:33 PM
World's most expensive ($200) Burger King burger Corey Richardson General Cooking 7 31-07-2008 12:53 PM