Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Well we ate all kinds of gravy back in the good old days..but not with meat in it. As in your fry up the bacon..sausage..chicken..chicken fried steak etc and make gravy out of the grease. The meat was served on the side with the gravy on top if you wanted. Not counting making SOS guess the first time I ever saw sausage gravy with sausage in it was at Whataburger in the late 80's. It dont taste too bad on the biskits. Glad to hear about the slim and trim coola...lol.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Are burger places becoming more common?

On 7/25/2014 6:03 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> I haven't tried Applebees in many years. The food didn't appeal to me
> and the service was horrid. I also know from people who worked there
> that the food comes frozen. Tried Outback once. Horrid service there
> too and not my kind of food.

The service may have been horrid when you were there, but one visit a
few years back in not going to keep me from the entire chain. Most are
OK most of the time.

Both places though (and others like them). are the epitome of mediocrity
and they are designed to be that way. They hit a price point and give
an acceptable, but not memorable meal.

They are the stars of the "I don't feel like cooking tonight" group, be
it retirees or working parents. They fill a need and you are usually
reassured with your expectations.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, July 23, 2014 6:53:13 PM UTC-4, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Jul 2014 15:31:35 -0400, Dave Smith
>
> > wrote:

> >> You obviously never had a good burger and fries.

> >I have had good burgers and fries on several occasions.

> There are no good burgers in any restaurant, they're all
>
> mystery meat. The last time I ate a burger out Golden Arches burgers
>
> were 19�. The ground meat at stupidmarkets, butcher shops, anywhere
>
> is all mytery meat. None of yoose TIADers have ever eaten a good
>
> burger.

Please remember that Sheldon (aka Brooklyn1) is a pathological liar.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Why are burgers served with fries? Isn't the carbohydrate of the bread
>
> bun enough?

I agree. Even sillier to wash it down with coke.

I choke enough on the bun, and dont want to choke on the fries.
Thats why I order a side salad.

Or at Carls Jr. I love the lettuce wrap burger. Then I can spare my choking for the fries. Or just go for side salad and have no choking at all. The bad thing is that you cant order IPA at Carls.

The perfect thing would be a cafe/restaurant style lettuce wrap burger with side salad and a pint of IPA.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> In N Out will substitute lettuce for a bun. It's pretty tasty too,
>
> probably the only way I'll eat head lettuce - but I forgot all about
>
> that option when I was in there the other day.

Really? Ive been going to Carls for lettuce wrap burgers, and not gone to in and out during this stay in Davis, because I didnt know that haha.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jinx the minx" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:

>>> Perhaps in *your* sheltered part of the Midwest, Kansas, but please do
>>> not
>>> speak for the Midwest in general as you are incorrect. If you ate
>>> popcorn
>>> as a breakfast cereal, that only speaks to your mother's gross >
>>> incompetence
>>> in the kitchen.

>> Wichita is hardly sheltered. Nor is Iowa.

> Ah, yes, your experience living in Kansas as a very young child and your
> (secondhand) knowledge of Iowa makes you an absolute expert on the whole
> of
> the Midwest!

My aunt and uncle and some cousins live in Iowa and they eat popcorn like we
do. I don't claim to be an expert on anything. But *my* family eats a lot
of popcorn and the other people I know from the Midwest do as well.
Actually I know one person from Iowa that doesn't even like the stuff. She
worked as a corn shucker when she was a kid.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 7/25/2014 6:03 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> I haven't tried Applebees in many years. The food didn't appeal to me
>> and the service was horrid. I also know from people who worked there
>> that the food comes frozen. Tried Outback once. Horrid service there
>> too and not my kind of food.

> The service may have been horrid when you were there, but one visit a few
> years back in not going to keep me from the entire chain. Most are OK
> most of the time.

I tried Applebees twice. Both times bad. My dad liked the food there so
tried it many times and finally gave up because someone's order was always
messed up or forgotten. Usually the kid.

The Outback nearest to us is notorious for slow service so it's not just me.

But bottom line, the foods that they sell don't appeal to me so they are not
places where I'd want to dine.

> Both places though (and others like them). are the epitome of mediocrity
> and they are designed to be that way. They hit a price point and give an
> acceptable, but not memorable meal.
>
> They are the stars of the "I don't feel like cooking tonight" group, be it
> retirees or working parents. They fill a need and you are usually
> reassured with your expectations.

Well thankfully we have many restaurants that are good that are closer to
where we live so I am not likely to go there. We only did Outback because
my husband has been bugging us for years to go there. I finally relented.
He and my parents enjoyed their food. Daughter and I did not. I think they
have changed some things on the menu. I believe the wedge salad used to be
$8.95. I found that to be ridiculous. And salad doesn't come with the
dinners. So I had no veggies while I was there. Neither did daughter.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"bigwheel" > wrote in message

> Well we ate all kinds of gravy back in the good old days..but not with
> meat in it. As in your fry up the bacon..sausage..chicken..chicken fried
> steak etc and make gravy out of the grease. The meat was served on the
> side with the gravy on top if you wanted. Not counting making SOS guess
> the first time I ever saw sausage gravy with sausage in it was at
> Whataburger in the late 80's. It dont taste too bad on the biskits. Glad
> to hear about the slim and trim coola...lol.

My mom made hamburger gravy once in a while, mostly when I was little.
Other than that we never had gravy unless it was a holiday and only then
depending on the food served.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael Nielsen" > wrote in message

>> Why are burgers served with fries? Isn't the carbohydrate of the bread
>>
>> bun enough?

> I agree. Even sillier to wash it down with coke.
>
> I choke enough on the bun, and dont want to choke on the fries.
> Thats why I order a side salad.
>
> Or at Carls Jr. I love the lettuce wrap burger. Then I can spare my
> choking for the fries. Or just go for side salad and have no choking at
> all. The bad thing is that you cant order IPA at Carls.
>
> The perfect thing would be a cafe/restaurant style lettuce wrap burger
> with side salad and a pint of IPA.

Ooooh how I hate lettuce wraps! I tried one once at Red Robin. The greasy
hot burger only wilted the lettuce and made it slimy. I had to pick it off
and discard it and then it seemed that the lettuce had absorbed all the heat
so the meat was cold.

I'd much rather have the toppings set lightly on top of the burger.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 25 Jul 2014 16:58:56 -0500, Ema Nymton >
wrote:

> They might eat chili over rice in Louisiana, but not in Texas.

I've been told that Mexicans in Texas eat their leftover chili over
rice. What do I know, it was hearsay.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 25 Jul 2014 19:52:42 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>I tried Applebees twice. Both times bad. My dad liked the food there so
>tried it many times and finally gave up because someone's order was always
>messed up or forgotten. Usually the kid.
>
>The Outback nearest to us is notorious for slow service so it's not just me.
>
>But bottom line, the foods that they sell don't appeal to me so they are not
>places where I'd want to dine.

What was it that you didn't like about the food? I really enjoyed the
Applebees shrimp salad. The dressing was nice and spicy, and the salad
part was nice and fresh. The shrimp were excellent.

I don't remember what we ate at Outback, but the service was good when
we were there.

What kinds of foods appeal to you if the stuff at Applebees and
Outback aren't acceptable?

Doris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doris Night" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 25 Jul 2014 19:52:42 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>I tried Applebees twice. Both times bad. My dad liked the food there so
>>tried it many times and finally gave up because someone's order was always
>>messed up or forgotten. Usually the kid.
>>
>>The Outback nearest to us is notorious for slow service so it's not just
>>me.
>>
>>But bottom line, the foods that they sell don't appeal to me so they are
>>not
>>places where I'd want to dine.

> What was it that you didn't like about the food? I really enjoyed the
> Applebees shrimp salad. The dressing was nice and spicy, and the salad
> part was nice and fresh. The shrimp were excellent.

Well for one thing there was nothing on the menu that I'd eat. I was a
vegetarian back then. They had quesadillas but they had chicken in them.
And they couldn't make them without because they come frozen that way. Also
in those days you could not get just a plain salad without some form of
protein on it. That may well have changed. But most of the food is
glopped up with a lot of sauce that I don't eat. And again, because it
comes frozen, you can't get it without sauce.

I am looking at the menu now. I might be able to eat the turkey sandwich or
the blt minus some stuff if the bread didn't contain egg or dairy. But...
I can easily make a sandwich at home so wouldn't want to pay to get one in a
restaurant. Not very often anyway... None of the salads would work for me.
All have proteins on them or fruit or avocados which I don't eat. I guess I
could always get a plain burger and fries but... When the burgers normally
come glopped up like they do, it can be very difficult to get a plain one.
They often just do not understand and try to put stuff on there that I can't
or won't eat. The quesadilla burger looks just like the one at Denny's. I
tried to eat that one minus the cheese. It was just too greasy for me. I
couldn't eat it.

And even if I didn't already know that the food came frozen, I could tell
just by looking at the pictures. If I was going to eat food like that, I'd
just as soon get it at some place like Dairy Queen where at least it would
be cheap. Just looking at those pictures turns my stomach. Fried things.
Things covered in sauce. Gooey, messy looking things.

I also found Applebees to be very loud and crowded and it didn't make for a
pleasant dining experience at all.

> I don't remember what we ate at Outback, but the service was good when
> we were there.
>
> What kinds of foods appeal to you if the stuff at Applebees and
> Outback aren't acceptable?

Healthy foods. My usual restaurant meals are Mexican. If I can't get
Mexican then I'll have chopped sirloin with no gravy, a plain baked potato,
or sometimes fries. Yes, I know that fries are not healthy but I eat very
little fried food so it's not a concern. Vegetables if they are ones I can
eat. Salad with no croutons, eggs, cheese or meat. Exception being a taco
salad. Only if it is ground beef with no filler. And I leave off the
cheese, sour cream and avocado. Soup, if it is made from scratch and has no
chicken, fish/shellfish, dairy or egg. Most restaurant bread is not safe
for me as I can't have egg, dairy, oats or rye. Shari's has a safe Ciabatta
bread turkey sandwich. Boring meal that I'd rather not eat but at least I
know that it won't make me ill. They also do onion rings with no egg or
dairy. I will order those but I don't eat many as I can't do much fried
food.

If there is breakfast on the menu available when I am eating, I will have
breakfast potatoes and bacon.

It's really very difficult for me to eat at a restaurant given the
gastroparesis and food intolerances. But even before I knew that those
things were issues, nothing at Applebees would appeal. I would still prefer
to eat a vegetarian diet but since I can't have eggs or dairy that's tough.
I don't do well with meat and eating too much of it could make me sick
later. Beans are always a good choice for me but unless it is a Mexican
place, they might not have them. I won't eat BBQ beans and while I do like
chili, I can only eat it if it has ground beef.

Actually my ideal restaurant which no longer seems to exist would be one
with a huge salad bar loaded with tons of fresh veggies and a good
assortment of beans. Perhaps some nuts. Perfect. No such place in this
area any more. I used to love Sea Galley and The Keg because they both had
killer salad bars. Sea Galley is no longer. The Keg upped their prices and
took out the salad bar.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/25/2014 11:47 PM, Doris Night wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Jul 2014 19:52:42 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> I tried Applebees twice. Both times bad. My dad liked the food there so
>> tried it many times and finally gave up because someone's order was always
>> messed up or forgotten. Usually the kid.
>>
>> The Outback nearest to us is notorious for slow service so it's not just me.
>>
>> But bottom line, the foods that they sell don't appeal to me so they are not
>> places where I'd want to dine.

> What was it that you didn't like about the food? I really enjoyed the
> Applebees shrimp salad. The dressing was nice and spicy, and the salad
> part was nice and fresh. The shrimp were excellent.
>
> I don't remember what we ate at Outback, but the service was good when
> we were there.
>
> What kinds of foods appeal to you if the stuff at Applebees and
> Outback aren't acceptable?
>
> Doris

Mexican, of course.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-07-26, jmcquown > wrote:

>> What was it that you didn't like about the food?

Not all Applesbee's are the same. We had a couple, about 6 miles
apart. One had an awesome fish and chips plate. Big thich chunks of
perfectly fried fish and large crisp chips, all perfectly hot. The
other, jes down the road, had thin flat filets of dubious origin and
thin soggy chips. All were almost cold when served. This later one
was almost vacant during the noon lunch rush while the Mimi's Cafe,
one hundred yars away, had a line out the door. Despite this 2nd
ABee's being newer, I can't believe it lasted long. It was truly
grim.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/26/2014 9:42 AM, notbob wrote:

> Not all Applesbee's are the same. We had a couple, about 6 miles
> apart. One had an awesome fish and chips plate. Big thich chunks of
> perfectly fried fish and large crisp chips, all perfectly hot. The
> other, jes down the road, had thin flat filets of dubious origin and
> thin soggy chips. All were almost cold when served.
>
> nb

I can see a difference in how things are prepared due to different work
ethics of the staff and managers, but I'd think the food itself would be
coming from the same source.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/25/2014 5:48 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Friday, July 25, 2014 11:58:56 AM UTC-10, Ema Nymton wrote:

>> They might eat chili over rice in Louisiana, but not in Texas.
>>

>> My mother was born on the border of Texas and Louisiana and she
>> cooked a
>>
>> lot of cajun food, we ate more rice than potatoes or noodles. In
>> school,
>>
>> in Louisiana, we had rice almost every day. Needless to say, I love
>> rice.
>>

>> Becca

> I've been trying to cut down on the rice but this morning I had a
> teriyaki Spam musubi and now I'm eating chicken katsu on a bed of
> rice with a side of macaroni salad. Holy carbs!

Nothing smells better than freshly cooked rice when you remove the lid.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/25/2014 9:08 PM, Michael Nielsen wrote:

>> In N Out will substitute lettuce for a bun. It's pretty tasty too,
>>
>> probably the only way I'll eat head lettuce - but I forgot all about
>>
>> that option when I was in there the other day.
>>

> Really? Ive been going to Carls for lettuce wrap burgers, and not gone to in and out during this stay in Davis, because I didnt know that haha.

Johnny Rockets will wrap your burger in lettuce.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/25/2014 10:07 PM, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Jul 2014 16:58:56 -0500, Ema Nymton >
> wrote:
>
>> They might eat chili over rice in Louisiana, but not in Texas.

> I've been told that Mexicans in Texas eat their leftover chili over
> rice. What do I know, it was hearsay.

They might do that, sf. I am surprised that Hispanics eat so much fideo
and pappas, pasta and potatoes).

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 26 Jul 2014 09:54:48 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> On 7/26/2014 9:42 AM, notbob wrote:
>
> > Not all Applesbee's are the same. We had a couple, about 6 miles
> > apart. One had an awesome fish and chips plate. Big thich chunks of
> > perfectly fried fish and large crisp chips, all perfectly hot. The
> > other, jes down the road, had thin flat filets of dubious origin and
> > thin soggy chips. All were almost cold when served.
> >
> > nb
> >

> I can see a difference in how things are prepared due to different work
> ethics of the staff and managers, but I'd think the food itself would be
> coming from the same source.

I can only say ABee's didn't last long in a shopping center near me.
I went there once, it was okay (couldn't complain) but it was nothing
I wanted to repeat. Can't remember what I ate, but I probably ordered
a burger. We have a great burger place that's even closer than that
shopping center. They hand shape their burgers and cook them over a
real fire - so when you look at what you're getting for the price,
Applebee's lost that contest.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 7/25/2014 11:47 PM, Doris Night wrote:
>> On Fri, 25 Jul 2014 19:52:42 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I tried Applebees twice. Both times bad. My dad liked the food there
>>> so
>>> tried it many times and finally gave up because someone's order was
>>> always
>>> messed up or forgotten. Usually the kid.
>>>
>>> The Outback nearest to us is notorious for slow service so it's not just
>>> me.
>>>
>>> But bottom line, the foods that they sell don't appeal to me so they are
>>> not
>>> places where I'd want to dine.

>> What was it that you didn't like about the food? I really enjoyed the
>> Applebees shrimp salad. The dressing was nice and spicy, and the salad
>> part was nice and fresh. The shrimp were excellent.
>>
>> I don't remember what we ate at Outback, but the service was good when
>> we were there.
>>
>> What kinds of foods appeal to you if the stuff at Applebees and
>> Outback aren't acceptable?
>>
>> Doris
>>

> Mexican, of course.

You got it!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/24/2014 9:07 AM, sf wrote:

> In N Out will substitute lettuce for a bun. It's pretty tasty too,
> probably the only way I'll eat head lettuce - but I forgot all about
> that option when I was in there the other day.

Not being a lettuce fan, I prefer to substitute a wide slice of ripe
bell pepper for the bun. Nice and juicy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/24/2014 9:59 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> I quit going to a highly rated little hole in the wall place perhaps
> best known for their catering after getting two burgers that were so raw
> in the middle, I couldn't eat them. They weren't even rare. Just
> cooked on the outside, almost to the point of being burned but the
> inside was cold and just plain raw.

I actually really like them like that! Even if they still have a bit of
cold in the middle, I'm good with it as long as the outside has a sear.

--
ღ.¸¸.œ«*¨`*œ¶
Cheryl
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
b.com...
> On 7/24/2014 9:59 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> I quit going to a highly rated little hole in the wall place perhaps
>> best known for their catering after getting two burgers that were so raw
>> in the middle, I couldn't eat them. They weren't even rare. Just
>> cooked on the outside, almost to the point of being burned but the
>> inside was cold and just plain raw.

> I actually really like them like that! Even if they still have a bit of
> cold in the middle, I'm good with it as long as the outside has a sear.

Oh, not me. Well done only. I even asked for them to be well done. Nope.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl wrote:
>Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> I quit going to a highly rated little hole in the wall place perhaps
>> best known for their catering after getting two burgers that were so raw
>> in the middle, I couldn't eat them. They weren't even rare. Just
>> cooked on the outside, almost to the point of being burned but the
>> inside was cold and just plain raw.

>I actually really like them like that! Even if they still have a bit of
>cold in the middle, I'm good with it as long as the outside has a sear.

Then hopefully you are grinding your own meat... preground mystery
meat needs to be cooked to well done to prevent consuming food borne
pathogens. If you grind your own meat it is safe to eat at any level
of doneness, even raw. You can safely consume a rare steak but not
rare preground mystery meat. And the ONLY way to know ground meat is
safe is to grind it yourself in your own properly cleaned machine.
Keep in mind, the fancier and more expensive the eatery the filthier.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/31/2014 9:44 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> If you grind your own meat it is safe to eat at any level
> of doneness, even raw.

Wrong again, Einstein. Odds are high that meat cuts have been
mechanically tenderized, which drives pathogens and other surface
contaminants deep into the tissues. The process uses small needles or
blades, so you can't tell by looking at the meat whether it has been
mechanically tenderized. And there's no requirement that it be labeled
as having been tenderized.

Because of the filthy conditions in processing plants, the prudent
approach is to treat all meat coming from those sources as potentially
contaminated. The way things are now, you are more likely to get
cleaner meat from an animal slaughtered and processed at a small local
facility, or even on the farm, than you are from the industrial meat
processing plants.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 04 Aug 2014 15:34:23 -0500, Moe DeLoughan >
wrote:

>On 7/31/2014 9:44 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>
>> If you grind your own meat it is safe to eat at any level
>> of doneness, even raw.

>Wrong again, Einstein. Odds are high that meat cuts have been
>mechanically tenderized, which drives pathogens and other surface
>contaminants deep into the tissues. The process uses small needles or
>blades, so you can't tell by looking at the meat whether it has been
>mechanically tenderized. And there's no requirement that it be labeled
>as having been tenderized.
>
>Because of the filthy conditions in processing plants, the prudent
>approach is to treat all meat coming from those sources as potentially
>contaminated. The way things are now, you are more likely to get
>cleaner meat from an animal slaughtered and processed at a small local
>facility, or even on the farm, than you are from the industrial meat
>processing plants.

So you only eat roast beef well done... MORON!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, July 22, 2014 3:46:13 AM UTC+2, Julie Bove wrote:
> Is this sort of place becoming more common in your area? Seems there are
>
> very few places here any more where they do cooking from scratch. And all
>
> of the food seems the same from one place to the next.

This is what I was talking about in my infamous post

In the area I was in in California, foodies complained about "oh no , not another burger joint" , or "sysco reheat assemble joint". Seems to be a growing trend. While good places close. Its hard to compete against those cheap labour and quality-ingredient saving formulas.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael Nielsen" > wrote in message
On Tuesday, July 22, 2014 3:46:13 AM UTC+2, Julie Bove wrote:
> Is this sort of place becoming more common in your area? Seems there are
>
> very few places here any more where they do cooking from scratch. And all
>
> of the food seems the same from one place to the next.

This is what I was talking about in my infamous post

In the area I was in in California, foodies complained about "oh no , not
another burger joint" , or "sysco reheat assemble joint". Seems to be a
growing trend. While good places close. Its hard to compete against those
cheap labour and quality-ingredient saving formulas.

---

They seriously used the word "Sysco"? Somehow I don't think so.

I wasn't impressed with Hop Jacks and it looked to me like a lot of the food
came frozen but I think people really can't tell. The online reviews of
that location are good so far. But the other locations? Not so good.
People seem to like the place the first couple of times but then after that?
Not so much. And most of the praise comes from the cocktails such as
something called a White Gummy Bear.

I would imagine that the food waste is huge there. Huge portions and food
that's not good enough that you want to finish eating it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, August 5, 2014 12:15:23 AM UTC+2, Julie Bove wrote:

> They seriously used the word "Sysco"? Somehow I don't think so.

They did. thats when I asked "ok so what does sysco mean?" and I got the whole charade.

And most of the praise comes from the cocktails such as

> something called a White Gummy Bear.

Whats a gummi bear drink? Gummi bears are horrible (fit under my classification "gelatine candy" which is a bad word in my book), so the drink doesnt sound good haha

> I would imagine that the food waste is huge there. Huge portions and food
>
> that's not good enough that you want to finish eating it.

They could do like some asian restaurants; charge extra if you dont finish. But I guess that kind of people arent into the "save packaging, reduce food waste" mindset. They probably call us "bloody communists".
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael Nielsen" > wrote in message
> On Tuesday, August 5, 2014 12:15:23 AM UTC+2, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> They seriously used the word "Sysco"? Somehow I don't think so.
>>

> They did. thats when I asked "ok so what does sysco mean?" and I got the
> whole charade.
>
> And most of the praise comes from the cocktails such as
>>
>> something called a White Gummy Bear.
>>

> Whats a gummi bear drink? Gummi bears are horrible (fit under my
> classification "gelatine candy" which is a bad word in my book), so the
> drink doesnt sound good haha

I have no clue. I saw pics and they just looked kind of white/clear. I
don't drink. They were also really pushing the lemonade which has real
fruit in it. When my mom asked if the lemonade was sugar free, the waiter
got a dumb look on his face and then proudly announced that they were made
with syrup! She declined.

>> I would imagine that the food waste is huge there. Huge portions and
>> food
>>
>> that's not good enough that you want to finish eating it.

> They could do like some asian restaurants; charge extra if you dont
> finish. But I guess that kind of people arent into the "save packaging,
> reduce food waste" mindset. They probably call us "bloody communists".

Who charges extra if you don't finish it and why would they are how could
they?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, August 5, 2014 2:07:50 AM UTC+2, Julie Bove wrote:
> Who charges extra if you don't finish it and why would they are how could
>
> they?

There was an article in the danish newspaper about that it is getting increasingly popular in japanese restaurants. At the time I never saw it for myself. Later there were articles that some fancy danish restaurants started doing it. "pay a fine if you dont eat up". In our favorite sushi place in Trieste, they have a "all you can eat" concept where you order any dish from the menu and they make it fresh and you keep ordering for a fixed price. But if you dont eat up the plates, you will pay those individually on top of the fixed price.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael Nielsen" > wrote in message
On Tuesday, August 5, 2014 2:07:50 AM UTC+2, Julie Bove wrote:
> Who charges extra if you don't finish it and why would they are how could
>
> they?

There was an article in the danish newspaper about that it is getting
increasingly popular in japanese restaurants. At the time I never saw it for
myself. Later there were articles that some fancy danish restaurants started
doing it. "pay a fine if you dont eat up". In our favorite sushi place in
Trieste, they have a "all you can eat" concept where you order any dish from
the menu and they make it fresh and you keep ordering for a fixed price. But
if you dont eat up the plates, you will pay those individually on top of the
fixed price.

---

That makes no sense.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, August 5, 2014 12:01:22 PM UTC+2, Julie Bove wrote:

> That makes no sense.

Its a fight against food waste. western countries toss 50% of their food. There's a movement that seeks to lower that number, as an alternative to the current approach to seek to produce more food thereby starving the soils. Methods include packageless foods, or at least changing how packaging works, changing how supermarkets handle expiring foods, educating consumers, changing procedures at restaurants, etc.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael Nielsen wrote:
>Julie Bove wrote:
>> Who charges extra if you don't finish it and why would they are how could
>>
>> they?

>There was an article in the danish newspaper about that it is getting increasingly popular in japanese restaurants. At the time I never saw it for myself. Later there were articles that some fancy danish restaurants started doing it. "pay a fine if you dont eat up". In our favorite sushi place in Trieste, they have a "all you can eat" concept where you order any dish from the menu and they make it fresh and you keep ordering for a fixed price. But if you dont eat up the plates, you will pay those individually on top of the fixed price.

I had a large sign at my chow line:
"Take all you want, eat all you take".
Anyone spotted shit canning their chow were served small portions of
their favorites.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 5 Aug 2014 03:01:22 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Michael Nielsen" > wrote in message
>On Tuesday, August 5, 2014 2:07:50 AM UTC+2, Julie Bove wrote:
>> Who charges extra if you don't finish it and why would they are how could
>>
>> they?

>There was an article in the danish newspaper about that it is getting
>increasingly popular in japanese restaurants. At the time I never saw it for
>myself. Later there were articles that some fancy danish restaurants started
>doing it. "pay a fine if you dont eat up". In our favorite sushi place in
>Trieste, they have a "all you can eat" concept where you order any dish from
>the menu and they make it fresh and you keep ordering for a fixed price. But
>if you dont eat up the plates, you will pay those individually on top of the
>fixed price.
>
>---
>
>That makes no sense.

What would you expect from a dumb Dane who writes "danish" in lower
case? Duh

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
news
> I had a large sign at my chow line:
> "Take all you want, eat all you take".

That used to be one of my moms favorite table "musts."

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael Nielsen" > wrote in message
On Tuesday, August 5, 2014 12:01:22 PM UTC+2, Julie Bove wrote:

> That makes no sense.

Its a fight against food waste. western countries toss 50% of their food.
There's a movement that seeks to lower that number, as an alternative to the
current approach to seek to produce more food thereby starving the soils.
Methods include packageless foods, or at least changing how packaging works,
changing how supermarkets handle expiring foods, educating consumers,
changing procedures at restaurants, etc.

---

What does it really matter if there is food waste? Would they take that
food and feed it to the hungry? For free? If not, then it really doesn't
matter.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, August 6, 2014 12:14:52 AM UTC+2, Julie Bove wrote:
> What does it really matter if there is food waste? Would they take that
>
> food and feed it to the hungry? For free? If not, then it really doesn't
>
> matter.

Danish article. if google translate can help, but the title is "Homeless receives surplus food worth 500.000DKK"

http://www.jv.dk/artikel/1655591:Ind...million-kroner

But even if they did not also do this, it still matters to educate and change habits of the entire western population to stop wasting food. Food production is highly polluting. the less food we need to produce, the less environmental issues we will have, not least the starvation of soil (in the future we might not even be able to produce as much food as we have done so far). And best of all, it is one of the only "save the earth" kind of tricks that you can see on your own bottom line (money money money!). Which in turn could save the world a bit more because suddenly people can afford quality products that last, instead of cheap "buy and toss" products that fill our landfills (or 3rd world landfills). But if people think "nothing matters", unless some really tangible thing in front of them they can see immediately, how can we ever improve as a species.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael Nielsen" > wrote in message
On Wednesday, August 6, 2014 12:14:52 AM UTC+2, Julie Bove wrote:
> What does it really matter if there is food waste? Would they take that
>
> food and feed it to the hungry? For free? If not, then it really doesn't
>
> matter.

Danish article. if google translate can help, but the title is "Homeless
receives surplus food worth 500.000DKK"

http://www.jv.dk/artikel/1655591:Ind...million-kroner

But even if they did not also do this, it still matters to educate and
change habits of the entire western population to stop wasting food. Food
production is highly polluting. the less food we need to produce, the less
environmental issues we will have, not least the starvation of soil (in the
future we might not even be able to produce as much food as we have done so
far). And best of all, it is one of the only "save the earth" kind of tricks
that you can see on your own bottom line (money money money!). Which in turn
could save the world a bit more because suddenly people can afford quality
products that last, instead of cheap "buy and toss" products that fill our
landfills (or 3rd world landfills). But if people think "nothing matters",
unless some really tangible thing in front of them they can see immediately,
how can we ever improve as a species.

---

I don't think that's going to change the way anyone does anything. People
are either careful with their food or they're not. If I go to an all you
can eat place then I do try to take only what I'll eat. If it is something
I'm unfamiliar with, I'll just take a test then get more if I like it. But
sometimes even a familiar food will taste bad.

I don't like places that only serve big portions of food. If they are going
to do that, then I wish they would offer smaller or half portions for those
of us who want that. But not all places are like that and if they serve me
too much food, I'll then waste it. I rarely ever bother to take food with
me as I know I won't eat it later.

If they think something like this will change what people do at home, I'll
bet they are wrong. Perhaps a few will pay attention to it. But most won't
care. And some will even object. There are some people in this country who
dislike the homeless and won't do a thing to aid in their help.

I don't know what you refer to when you say quality product or cheap buy and
toss products. Perhaps you have different products than we do here. I do
know that here in the PNW we are very green. Food scraps are recycled and
almost everyone brings their own shopping bags.

One interesting thing though. They stopped the forced water rationing here.
They said that they discovered when people were only allowed to use the hose
on specific days, they were using more water than ever. Now they will
reward those who use less with less money per however they charge
us...gallon? Not sure. And if we use more than average, we pay more per
whatever it is. I did water this year. I don't usually. I'm still under
average. I rarely use my dishwasher. I have an HE clothes washer and I try
to take short showers.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/4/2014 4:34 PM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

> On 7/31/2014 9:44 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>
>> If you grind your own meat it is safe to eat at any level
>> of doneness, even raw.

> Wrong again, Einstein. Odds are high that meat cuts have been
> mechanically tenderized, which drives pathogens and other surface
> contaminants deep into the tissues. The process uses small needles or
> blades, so you can't tell by looking at the meat whether it has been
> mechanically tenderized. And there's no requirement that it be labeled
> as having been tenderized.
>
> Because of the filthy conditions in processing plants, the prudent
> approach is to treat all meat coming from those sources as potentially
> contaminated. The way things are now, you are more likely to get cleaner
> meat from an animal slaughtered and processed at a small local facility,
> or even on the farm, than you are from the industrial meat processing
> plants.

To both of you, I've been eating very rare meat all my life and am still
here. I have had a very bad stomach problem for the last few days,
but I haven't eaten beef in more than a week, maybe longer. Chicken yes,
lots of produce, yes. And, Cheerios Protein is my new favorite breakfast.

--
Cheryl

common crackers Jean B.[_1_] Historic 7 29-07-2013 05:50 PM
All-Bacon Burger Created By SoCal Burger Chain Slater's 50/50 Malcom \Mal\ Reynolds General Cooking 3 09-07-2012 12:33 AM
Best Burger Places in Denver, CO lsniff Restaurants 2 12-09-2011 12:31 PM
First Burger Join in Beirut - Lebanon (Classic Burger Joint)www.cbj.me lboodl Restaurants 0 05-04-2010 12:33 PM
World's most expensive ($200) Burger King burger Corey Richardson General Cooking 7 31-07-2008 12:53 PM