Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Are burger places becoming more common?

On 7/24/2014 1:44 PM, Cheri wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

>>> A good burger and fries is a combo that just works, for me and a lot of
>>> other people. Don't like the combo? Fine, don't eat it. I can't stand
>>> liver (prepared in any fashion but chopped) so I don't eat it. Simple.
>>>

>> It works for me, too. As I said in another reply, I don't eat burgers
>> and fries every day. I don't know anyone who does.
>>
>> I certainly dislike the idea of a beef patty smothered in cheese and
>> pickles. Ugh.
>>
>> Jill

> I like the idea and have it often. I make a beef patty, melt some cheese
> on it, add some dill pickle relish and I'm good to go.
>
> Cheri.

I don't much care for cheese on the burgers but I'll do it for the rest
of the family. As an added bonus, I'll flip the burger with the cheese
on it and brown the cheese. You have to have a non-stick pan to do this.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> I don't understand why restaurants can't make good sausage gravy.

Because saw-seege gravy is something that's only good when prepared
like from one's childhood, and no one else knows what that is other
than you and whoever prepared it for you.... so sorry to inform
you but you'll have to get up off your fat petunia pig ass and make
saw-seege gravy for yourself or take what you're given and
quichabithin'.
Julie Bove Wishing for Saw-Seege Gravy... I got yer Saw-Seege Gravy:
https://static1.e621.net/data/9e/de/...9760aa8f9a.jpg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/24/2014 7:44 PM, Cheri wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

>>> A good burger and fries is a combo that just works, for me and a lot of
>>> other people. Don't like the combo? Fine, don't eat it. I can't stand
>>> liver (prepared in any fashion but chopped) so I don't eat it. Simple.
>>>

>> It works for me, too. As I said in another reply, I don't eat burgers
>> and fries every day. I don't know anyone who does.
>>
>> I certainly dislike the idea of a beef patty smothered in cheese and
>> pickles. Ugh.
>>
>> Jill

> I like the idea and have it often. I make a beef patty, melt some cheese
> on it, add some dill pickle relish and I'm good to go.
>
> Cheri

I guess it's telling that I don't like pickles. But I'm also not
afraid of the occasional burger (on a bun) and fries.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/23/2014 5:50 PM, Ema Nymton wrote:
> Hot dogs and chili dogs are often served with Frito's in the South. I
> went to Skyline Chili, while traveling, and they had zero Frito's. I was
> surprised.
>
> Becca

Fritos? Hmmmm. I'll have to check out The Dog House on Lady's Island
and find out what kind of chips they serve with their hot dogs.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 7/23/2014 5:59 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>

>> I didn't grow up eating chili with rice. We often had cornbread with
>> bean dishes or perhaps Fritos or popcorn. But when I found a 3 bean
>> chili recipe in a magazine that I liked, it was served over rice. I
>> often made that dish when my husband was out to sea. A pot of rice and
>> a pot of chili would last me the week. That was before I had to concern
>> myself with carbs. These days when I make chili, the chili is the
>> meal. I might have a couple of tortilla chips or crackers on the side
>> but no more.

> My guess is most people didn't grow up eating chili with rice, unless they
> were from Hawaii. You'd probably have a hard time finding chili with rice
> on the mainland.
>
> Last night we ate at a place called "The Fat Greek" the last part of the
> signage fell of so some people might have thought the joint was called
> "The Fat. " My wife had a baklava at the end of the meal. My wife thought
> it had falafel in it but it was powdered walnuts and cumin. I used to
> assemble a mean baklava but this was a new one for me. It's an interesting
> variation.

That's weird. I was just looking at some online that had no butter in it
but it did have almonds. I thought that was weird.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 7/23/2014 10:38 AM, graham wrote:
>> Why are burgers served with fries? Isn't the carbohydrate of the bread
>> bun enough?
>> Graham

> Not *everyone* eats burgers and fries every day or even every month. I
> certainly don't. I also don't worry my head off about carbs.
>
> There was a comment on the site below. "It's meat & potatoes."
>
> http://www.quora.com/Hamburgers/Why-...erved-together
>
> Yes, it's meat & potatoes. Beef & potatoes is a very traditional dinner
> in the US. Served with, you guessed it, dinner rolls. (There are
> vegetable sides, which in the case of a burger would be burger toppings
> and/or side salad.) That's one idea.
>
> Or, fries could be simply a cheap and convenient money maker for fast food
> and other chain restaurants. In actuality, they always have been. People
> who don't know that haven't gone out to eat much. YMMV.

We never had sliced bread at the table unless we were in a restaurant that
served it. My dad said that the only people who did that were the poor who
couldn't afford to put better food and that if anyone was hungry after their
plate was finished, they could then eat the bread. We only had rolls for
holiday. Always Brown N' Serve until my nephew decided that he liked King's
Hawaiian and then those. Until the day that my nephew said that he really
didn't want any rolls. And then we were all fine with that because I don't
think anyone wanted the rolls to begin with.

We did have biscuits or cornbread from time to time. Usually served with
soup. But we would just as commonly have popcorn with soup.

As for the burgers with fries, it would seem logical that ordering in a
restaurant would have the burger come with fries. But more and more at
least in this area, it doesn't always. Sometimes there is a choice of
things like salad, soup, fruit or fries. Sometimes they come with perhaps
salad or chips. We have a few places here with no fryer. But I have also
seen menus where if you want fries, you have to order them separately. This
always comes as a shock to me when I see a price of $9.95 and up for a
burger only to learn that you don't get fries with it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 7/23/2014 2:15 PM, DreadfulBitch wrote:

>>> It's likely because the people who like high fat high salt burgers on
>>> white buns with empty calories need some high carb, salty greasy food to
>>> go with it.
>>>

>> You obviously never had a good burger and fries.
>>

> I hear that! There's nothing like a good burger and fries. These days I
> don't know anyone in real life who buys fast food burgers and fries on a
> regular basis.
>
> I had a really nice cheeseburger at the Club a couple of weeks ago, with
> nicely cooked shoestring fries. Neither the burger nor the fries were
> greasy or too salty. Some restaurants can do some things well.
>
> Jill

And those are two things that I think that they should get right. Both are
very simple foods.

I quit going to a highly rated little hole in the wall place perhaps best
known for their catering after getting two burgers that were so raw in the
middle, I couldn't eat them. They weren't even rare. Just cooked on the
outside, almost to the point of being burned but the inside was cold and
just plain raw.

I also hate it when I get a plate of anemic fries. Perhaps barely warm and
totally limp. And I think by far the worst fries I have ever tried are
those lower fat ones from Burger King. I can't remember what they called
them. But they might as well serve fried cardboard.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message

>>> That wasn't the point. One could have the patty, smothered in cheese and
>>> pickles with the fries.

>> A good burger and fries is a combo that just works, for me and a lot of
>> other people. Don't like the combo? Fine, don't eat it. I can't stand
>> liver (prepared in any fashion but chopped) so I don't eat it. Simple.
>>

> It works for me, too. As I said in another reply, I don't eat burgers and
> fries every day. I don't know anyone who does.
>
> I certainly dislike the idea of a beef patty smothered in cheese and
> pickles. Ugh.
>
> Jill

I don't mind a plain burger patty on a plate as that is what I grew up
eating. But my ideal would have some lettuce or even spinach...some kind of
greens, with a really good tomato slice or two and a nice slice of onion.
Dill pickle on the side is nice. That reminds me. Need to put pickles on
the shopping list.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/24/2014 12:39 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> I am surrounded by Denny's, Applebees, Outback, IHop, Bonefish, Qboba, Chipotle, Taco Del Mar,

(snipped a bunch of stuff)

> We do have two small local chains that is good and cooks from scratch
> but they rarely make changes to the menu and it gets boring.

Everything gets boring if you eat out all the time at chain restaurants.
You claim to be a good cook. So... cook it yourself.

"Seems there are very few places here any more where they do cooking
from scratch. And all of the food seems the same from one place to the
next."

It seems you're the one buying food on the run. You claim you can
easily make the same things at home. I quote: "Stuff that I can easily
make at home and for cheap." [BTW, that was very poor sentence
structure.] You'd have to prove it since you know the names of more
chain and fast food restaurants than I've ever heard of.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message

> I don't much care for cheese on the burgers but I'll do it for the rest of
> the family. As an added bonus, I'll flip the burger with the cheese on it
> and brown the cheese. You have to have a non-stick pan to do this.

I used to think that I needed cheese on burgers Until I couldn't eat
cheese. And now? I can't stand cheese on them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 7/23/2014 3:31 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

>>> You obviously never had a good burger and fries.
>>>

>> I have had good burgers and fries on several occasions. I don't live on
>> them. I am willing to bet that the people who live on them are not
>> getting the good ones. They are more likely to be fast food burgers and
>> fries.
>>

> I don't live on them, either. But I'd agree with Dreadful Bitch's and
> your assessment: the people who don't like them have never tasted a good
> burger and fries. Good burgers are not greasy. I'm not saying they don't
> contain fat - of course they do. But when properly prepared they're not
> dripping grease when you eat them.
>
> Good french fries aren't greasy, either. Or overly salted. If someone
> eats fast food and calls that a burger and fries, they really need to
> venture out of that restaurant chain-zone.

Some people don't have that option. In some parts of the country there is
nothing but fast food and chain places. And where I live, it seems to be
becoming one of them.

We had a place that changed hands several times and eventually had a fire.
I liked them at various times, depending on what they served. I do not like
them now except perhaps for breakfast. They claim to be a burger bar and
yet their burgers and fries are just not very good. They serve these really
tiny fries. Skinnier than shoestring. Seriously like the diameter of
spaghetti so you'd think they'd be very crisp. But they're not. They're
kind of soggy and taste unseasoned despite the fact that you can see some
sort of dried green stuff on them. Parsley? Dunno.

Another place where I never order a burger is also a burger place. I
actually haven't tried them so I can't say whether they are good or bad but
now that I think of it, nobody I have dined with has ever ordered a burger
in there. I have seen people with the mammoth and gloppy looking burgers.
I don't think they have any plain burgers on the menu. Only fancy ones. I
see them struggle to eat the sloppy things, then halfway through, they look
like they're going to bust and they ask for a doggy bag.

We like them because they offer a raw veggie platter but... Everything else
is just too much. Sadly there is no one meal that they serve that we would
all eat. Otherwise the three females in the family could share something
and still not be able to finish it. I order half a taco salad and I can't
even put a dent in that. I just don't understand the need to only serve
huge portions. They really should put some smaller things on their menu.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/24/2014 9:56 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> On 7/23/2014 10:38 AM, graham wrote:
>>> Why are burgers served with fries? Isn't the carbohydrate of the bread
>>> bun enough?
>>> Graham

>> Not *everyone* eats burgers and fries every day or even every month.
>> I certainly don't. I also don't worry my head off about carbs.
>>
>> There was a comment on the site below. "It's meat & potatoes."
>>
>> http://www.quora.com/Hamburgers/Why-...erved-together
>>

>> Yes, it's meat & potatoes. Beef & potatoes is a very traditional
>> dinner in the US. Served with, you guessed it, dinner rolls. (There
>> are vegetable sides, which in the case of a burger would be burger
>> toppings and/or side salad.) That's one idea.
>>
>> Or, fries could be simply a cheap and convenient money maker for fast
>> food and other chain restaurants. In actuality, they always have
>> been. People who don't know that haven't gone out to eat much. YMMV.

> We never had sliced bread at the table

Did I mention *sliced bread*? No, I did not. I said dinner rolls.

> unless we were in a restaurant
> that served it.

Yeah, the restaurant. Or maybe a soup kitchen from the 1930's. Sliced
bread with bits of beef and some gravy. If you're lucky you might get
some vegetables or even stew!

> We did have biscuits or cornbread from time to time. Usually served
> with soup. But we would just as commonly have popcorn with soup.

Popcorn with soup? That's a crazy idea.

> As for the burgers with fries, it would seem logical that ordering in a
> restaurant would have the burger come with fries. But more and more at
> least in this area, it doesn't always. Sometimes there is a choice of
> things like salad, soup, fruit or fries.

(snip)

Most places have had those choices on the menu for years.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> I don't understand why restaurants can't make good sausage gravy.

> Because saw-seege gravy is something that's only good when prepared
> like from one's childhood, and no one else knows what that is other
> than you and whoever prepared it for you.... so sorry to inform
> you but you'll have to get up off your fat petunia pig ass and make
> saw-seege gravy for yourself or take what you're given and
> quichabithin'.
> Julie Bove Wishing for Saw-Seege Gravy... I got yer Saw-Seege Gravy:
> https://static1.e621.net/data/9e/de/...9760aa8f9a.jpg

I never ate sausage gravy until I was an adult...and perhaps into my 20's at
that. I don't even remember seeing it in any restaurant menus in this area
until we moved back here 10 years ago.

My ass isn't fat either. Parts of me might be but not my ass.

Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn1 View Post
Julie Bove wrote:

I don't understand why restaurants can't make good sausage gravy.

Because saw-seege gravy is something that's only good when prepared
like from one's childhood, and no one else knows what that is other
than you and whoever prepared it for you.... so sorry to inform
you but you'll have to get up off your fat petunia pig ass and make
saw-seege gravy for yourself or take what you're given and
quichabithin'.
Julie Bove Wishing for Saw-Seege Gravy... I got yer Saw-Seege Gravy:
https://static1.e621.net/data/9e/de/...9760aa8f9a.jpg
Yes..yankmes aint permittted to know about it. Good point.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 7/24/2014 9:56 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> Not *everyone* eats burgers and fries every day or even every month.
>>> I certainly don't. I also don't worry my head off about carbs.
>>>
>>> There was a comment on the site below. "It's meat & potatoes."
>>>
>>> http://www.quora.com/Hamburgers/Why-...erved-together
>>>

>>> Yes, it's meat & potatoes. Beef & potatoes is a very traditional
>>> dinner in the US. Served with, you guessed it, dinner rolls. (There
>>> are vegetable sides, which in the case of a burger would be burger
>>> toppings and/or side salad.) That's one idea.
>>>
>>> Or, fries could be simply a cheap and convenient money maker for fast
>>> food and other chain restaurants. In actuality, they always have
>>> been. People who don't know that haven't gone out to eat much. YMMV.

>> We never had sliced bread at the table

> Did I mention *sliced bread*? No, I did not. I said dinner rolls.

Correct. But on countless TV shows, movies and in countless photographs,
you see the stack of bread on the table.

>> unless we were in a restaurant
>> that served it.

> Yeah, the restaurant. Or maybe a soup kitchen from the 1930's. Sliced
> bread with bits of beef and some gravy. If you're lucky you might get
> some vegetables or even stew!
>
>> We did have biscuits or cornbread from time to time. Usually served
>> with soup. But we would just as commonly have popcorn with soup.
>>

> Popcorn with soup? That's a crazy idea.

Hardly. Often served with salads too in lieu of croutons. I'm from the
Midwest where pocorn is pretty much a food group. Also eaten as a breakfast
cereal.

>> As for the burgers with fries, it would seem logical that ordering in a
>> restaurant would have the burger come with fries. But more and more at
>> least in this area, it doesn't always. Sometimes there is a choice of
>> things like salad, soup, fruit or fries.

> (snip)
>
> Most places have had those choices on the menu for years.

Not here, they haven't.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 7/24/2014 12:39 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> I am surrounded by Denny's, Applebees, Outback, IHop, Bonefish, Qboba,
>> Chipotle, Taco Del Mar,

> (snipped a bunch of stuff)
>>
>> We do have two small local chains that is good and cooks from scratch
>> but they rarely make changes to the menu and it gets boring.

> Everything gets boring if you eat out all the time at chain restaurants.
> You claim to be a good cook. So... cook it yourself.
>
> "Seems there are very few places here any more where they do cooking from
> scratch. And all of the food seems the same from one place to the next."
>
> It seems you're the one buying food on the run. You claim you can easily
> make the same things at home. I quote: "Stuff that I can easily make at
> home and for cheap." [BTW, that was very poor sentence structure.] You'd
> have to prove it since you know the names of more chain and fast food
> restaurants than I've ever heard of.

I'd have to prove...what? Just because we have those restaurants here
doesn't mean that I've eaten at them. There are many that I've never eaten
at and never will.

The problem is that my mom *only* likes to go out to eat. She dislikes home
cooked food no matter who cooks it. So we have to take her out to eat when
we go there because the cook there can't seem to come up with any safe meals
for me to eat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message

> I don't much care for cheese on the burgers but I'll do it for the rest of
> the family. As an added bonus, I'll flip the burger with the cheese on it
> and brown the cheese. You have to have a non-stick pan to do this.

I do that occasionally too.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message

> I guess it's telling that I don't like pickles. But I'm also not
> afraid of the occasional burger (on a bun) and fries.
>
> Jill

I'm not afraid of them either, just can't eat them anymore. Of course I
could eat them, but I want to keep my legs and eyesight more. :-)

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/23/2014 7:23 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 7/23/2014 11:50 AM, Ema Nymton wrote:
>> On 7/23/2014 3:17 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>>
>>> It's traditional to serve fries with burgers in the US. We don't
>>> typically serve fries with hot dogs but chips go well with dogs. This
>>> would not be English chips but American potato chips. In Hawaii, we
>>> like to serve spaghetti with garlic bread. Sometimes we'll add a side
>>> of macaroni salad. Don't ask me why cause the answer is "we just
>>> do."

>> Hot dogs and chili dogs are often served with Frito's in the South. I
>> went to Skyline Chili, while traveling, and they had zero Frito's. I was
>> surprised.
>>
>> Becca
>>

> Chili and Frito's go together greatly. Over here they're almost always
> served over rice. I've served chili over tortilla chips. It's good but
> kind of salty.
>
> I once saw a couple all dressed up like Roy Rogers and Dale Evans in a
> local restaurant. Roy ordered a bowl of chili and blew his mind out when
> he got his bowl. He couldn't comprehend a chili with beans served over
> rice. It was not a pretty sight. He should have just stuck with a fruit
> salad served in a hollowed out pineapple. That was my favorite dish when
> me and the wife were a'courtin'. As I recall, it was called a "pineapple
> boat." Oh yeah.

Chili is not served over rice, here, but it is all what you are used to.
If you like it, then enjoy it. I would never put beans in my chili,
but I like chili-mac, which has beans.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/24/2014 9:12 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 7/24/2014 9:56 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

>> As for the burgers with fries, it would seem logical that ordering in a
>> restaurant would have the burger come with fries. But more and more at
>> least in this area, it doesn't always. Sometimes there is a choice of
>> things like salad, soup, fruit or fries.

> (snip)
>
> Most places have had those choices on the menu for years.
>
> Jill

Following up on your post because I do not get her messages. You are
right, some restaurants do offer alternatives.

We recently ate brunch in a restaurant with my firstborn and his wife,
and George ordered a cheeseburger, it came with 4 large onion rings and
potato chips. This cheeseburger was $15 and he did care for it, probably
because of the sauces they included on their burger (it was cooked rare,
though). He passed his onion rings around the table, and after an $80
brunch, for the four of us, he was still hungry when we left. This
restaurant was suggested by our DIL and I always enjoy seeing them, but
I would not go back there.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message ...

>>> We never had sliced bread at the table

>> Did I mention *sliced bread*? No, I did not. I said dinner rolls.

> Correct. But on countless TV shows, movies and in countless photographs,
> you see the stack of bread on the table.
>>
>>> unless we were in a restaurant
>>> that served it.

>> Yeah, the restaurant. Or maybe a soup kitchen from the 1930's. Sliced
>> > bread with bits of beef and some gravy. If you're lucky you might get

>>> We did have biscuits or cornbread from time to time. Usually served
>>> with soup. But we would just as commonly have popcorn with soup.
>>>

>> Popcorn with soup? That's a crazy idea.

> Hardly. Often served with salads too in lieu of croutons. I'm from the
> Midwest where pocorn is pretty much a food group. Also eaten as a breakfast cereal.

Perhaps in *your* sheltered part of the Midwest, Kansas, but please do not
speak for the Midwest in general as you are incorrect. If you ate popcorn
as a breakfast cereal, that only speaks to your mother's gross incompetence
in the kitchen.

--
jinx the minx
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/24/2014 9:59 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> On 7/23/2014 2:15 PM, DreadfulBitch wrote:
>>>>
>>> You obviously never had a good burger and fries.
>>>

>> I hear that! There's nothing like a good burger and fries. These
>> days I don't know anyone in real life who buys fast food burgers and
>> fries on a regular basis.
>>
>> I had a really nice cheeseburger at the Club a couple of weeks ago,
>> with nicely cooked shoestring fries. Neither the burger nor the fries
>> were greasy or too salty. Some restaurants can do some things well.
>>
>> Jill

> And those are two things that I think that they should get right. Both
> are very simple foods.

Indeed they are. The Club isn't serving them with limp steak fries
these days, either.

> I quit going to a highly rated little hole in the wall place perhaps
> best known for their catering after getting two burgers that were so raw
> in the middle, I couldn't eat them. They weren't even rare. Just
> cooked on the outside, almost to the point of being burned but the
> inside was cold and just plain raw.

I like my burgers close to medium-rare in the middle but they *must* be
hot throughout. It sounds like the folks at that place just don't know
how to make good burgers. Or they are in a rush or something.

> I also hate it when I get a plate of anemic fries. Perhaps barely warm
> and totally limp.

Nasty. Fries must have a nice crisp outside and still be tender inside.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/24/2014 10:12 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> Another place where I never order a burger is also a burger place. I
> actually haven't tried them so I can't say whether they are good or bad
> but now that I think of it, nobody I have dined with has ever ordered a
> burger in there. I have seen people with the mammoth and gloppy looking
> burgers. I don't think they have any plain burgers on the menu. Only
> fancy ones. I see them struggle to eat the sloppy things, then halfway
> through, they look like they're going to bust and they ask for a doggy bag.

I have never, ever encountered a place that wouldn't serve a plain
hamburger. They don't have to list them on the menu, just ask for a
plain hamburger. Even McDonald's will do this.

I agree about the piled high gloppy burgers. Looks like you need a
knife and fork to eat them.

I occasionally catch an episode of Diners, Drive-ins & Dives (Guy
Fieri). Some of the burgers and sandwiches are stacked so high it's
incomprehensible (to me).

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/25/2014 10:31 AM, jinx the minx wrote:
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:

>>> Popcorn with soup? That's a crazy idea.

>> Hardly. Often served with salads too in lieu of croutons. I'm from the
>> Midwest where pocorn is pretty much a food group. Also eaten as a breakfast cereal.
>>>

> Perhaps in *your* sheltered part of the Midwest, Kansas, but please do not
> speak for the Midwest in general as you are incorrect. If you ate popcorn
> as a breakfast cereal, that only speaks to your mother's gross incompetence
> in the kitchen.

LOL jinx! To most people, popcorn is a *snack*. It's not a mainstay in
ones diet and certainly not eaten as a breakfast cereal. Nor is it
served with soup. It might explain why she's always on the lookout for
popcorn, though.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message

> LOL jinx! To most people, popcorn is a *snack*. It's not a mainstay in
> ones diet and certainly not eaten as a breakfast cereal. Nor is it served
> with soup. It might explain why she's always on the lookout for popcorn,
> though.
>
> Jill

It's been pretty common with soup in my life. A lot of people, including me,
would often use popcorn in soup while eating. in place of croutons and
crackers.I have never had it for breakfast cereal, though I imagine it would
be like puffed corn cereal.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 Jul 2014 22:01:30 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 7/24/2014 12:39 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> I am surrounded by Denny's, Applebees, Outback, IHop, Bonefish, Qboba, Chipotle, Taco Del Mar,

>(snipped a bunch of stuff)
>>
>> We do have two small local chains that is good and cooks from scratch
>> but they rarely make changes to the menu and it gets boring.

>Everything gets boring if you eat out all the time at chain restaurants.
> You claim to be a good cook. So... cook it yourself.
>
>"Seems there are very few places here any more where they do cooking
>from scratch. And all of the food seems the same from one place to the
>next."
>
>It seems you're the one buying food on the run. You claim you can
>easily make the same things at home. I quote: "Stuff that I can easily
>make at home and for cheap." [BTW, that was very poor sentence
>structure.] You'd have to prove it since you know the names of more
>chain and fast food restaurants than I've ever heard of.

FWIW, when we were on vacation we ate dinner at Applebees and Outback
a couple of times, and I thought they were very good.

If I had to eat there more than a couple of times a year I'd probably
get bored of them too.

Doris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/24/2014 3:50 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> That's weird. I was just looking at some online that had no butter in
> it but it did have almonds. I thought that was weird.

Almonds would be tasty. No butter - now that's really something.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/24/2014 4:04 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "dsi1" > wrote in message
>
>> I don't much care for cheese on the burgers but I'll do it for the
>> rest of the family. As an added bonus, I'll flip the burger with the
>> cheese on it and brown the cheese. You have to have a non-stick pan to
>> do this.

> I used to think that I needed cheese on burgers Until I couldn't eat
> cheese. And now? I can't stand cheese on them.

I'm not a big fan of dairy products. I'm probably not white enough. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/24/2014 7:54 PM, Cheri wrote:

> "dsi1" > wrote in message
>
>> I don't much care for cheese on the burgers but I'll do it for the
>> rest of the family. As an added bonus, I'll flip the burger with the
>> cheese on it and brown the cheese. You have to have a non-stick pan to
>> do this.

> I do that occasionally too.
>
> Cheri

It's grilled cheese - literally. I think more folks should be doing it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/25/2014 2:04 AM, Ema Nymton wrote:

> Chili is not served over rice, here, but it is all what you are used to.
> If you like it, then enjoy it. I would never put beans in my chili,
> but I like chili-mac, which has beans.
>
> Becca

Chili isn't popular in Japan but if it were, you can bet it's gonna be
served over rice. Until then, Hawaii might be the only place to get this
weird dish - at least we're not serving it on spaghetti. :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 25 Jul 2014 07:34:05 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

> On 7/25/2014 2:04 AM, Ema Nymton wrote:
> >
> > Chili is not served over rice, here, but it is all what you are used to.
> > If you like it, then enjoy it. I would never put beans in my chili,
> > but I like chili-mac, which has beans.
> >
> > Becca

> Chili isn't popular in Japan but if it were, you can bet it's gonna be
> served over rice. Until then, Hawaii might be the only place to get this
> weird dish - at least we're not serving it on spaghetti. :-)

I thought they do that in Texas too. I learned it from someone who
was Filipino (and not from Hawaii).

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/25/2014 9:59 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 7/24/2014 10:12 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> Another place where I never order a burger is also a burger place. I
>> actually haven't tried them so I can't say whether they are good or bad
>> but now that I think of it, nobody I have dined with has ever ordered a
>> burger in there. I have seen people with the mammoth and gloppy looking
>> burgers. I don't think they have any plain burgers on the menu. Only
>> fancy ones. I see them struggle to eat the sloppy things, then halfway
>> through, they look like they're going to bust and they ask for a doggy
>> bag.

> I have never, ever encountered a place that wouldn't serve a plain
> hamburger. They don't have to list them on the menu, just ask for a
> plain hamburger. Even McDonald's will do this.
>
> I agree about the piled high gloppy burgers. Looks like you need a
> knife and fork to eat them.
>
> I occasionally catch an episode of Diners, Drive-ins & Dives (Guy
> Fieri). Some of the burgers and sandwiches are stacked so high it's
> incomprehensible (to me).
>
> Jill

At a restaurant, I ordered a half-sandwich, it had grilled chicken,
Applewood smoked bacon, taleggio cheese, sliced avocado, alfalfa
sprouts, lettuce and tomato, this 1/2 sandwich was 5-6" thick, there is
no way I could eat that like you would a typical sandwich. It was
delicious, but I had to nibble it down. They had a skewer through the
sandwich and I could see why.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 25 Jul 2014 14:00:34 -0500, Ema Nymton >
wrote:

> At a restaurant, I ordered a half-sandwich, it had grilled chicken,
> Applewood smoked bacon, taleggio cheese, sliced avocado, alfalfa
> sprouts, lettuce and tomato, this 1/2 sandwich was 5-6" thick, there is
> no way I could eat that like you would a typical sandwich. It was
> delicious, but I had to nibble it down. They had a skewer through the
> sandwich and I could see why.

Holy cow! Sounds absolutely delicious, but I'd hold the cheese and
the lettuce. There's no need for both alfalfa spouts and lettuce.
The cheese might be good - but I'm not a big fan of cheese with bacon.
Gee, you have me thinking that I'll get some chicken and make that
sandwich. Today is a "Smart Day" (energy saving from 2-7 PM), so
maybe I'll buy a rotisserie chicken.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, July 25, 2014 8:52:24 AM UTC-10, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Jul 2014 07:34:05 -1000, dsi1
>
> > wrote:
>

> > On 7/25/2014 2:04 AM, Ema Nymton wrote:

> > > Chili is not served over rice, here, but it is all what you are used to.

> > > If you like it, then enjoy it. I would never put beans in my chili,

> > > but I like chili-mac, which has beans.

> > > Becca

> > Chili isn't popular in Japan but if it were, you can bet it's gonna be

> > served over rice. Until then, Hawaii might be the only place to get this

> > weird dish - at least we're not serving it on spaghetti. :-)

> I thought they do that in Texas too. I learned it from someone who
>
> was Filipino (and not from Hawaii).

A Filipino probably would serve chili over rice. What I could go for is pork adobo on rice right now! That would be just great.

> --
>
> All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jinx the minx" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:

>>> Did I mention *sliced bread*? No, I did not. I said dinner rolls.

>> Correct. But on countless TV shows, movies and in countless photographs,
>> you see the stack of bread on the table.

>>> Yeah, the restaurant. Or maybe a soup kitchen from the 1930's. Sliced

>>> Popcorn with soup? That's a crazy idea.

>> Hardly. Often served with salads too in lieu of croutons. I'm from the
>> Midwest where pocorn is pretty much a food group. Also eaten as a
>> breakfast cereal.
>>>

> Perhaps in *your* sheltered part of the Midwest, Kansas, but please do not
> speak for the Midwest in general as you are incorrect. If you ate popcorn
> as a breakfast cereal, that only speaks to your mother's gross
> incompetence
> in the kitchen.

Wichita is hardly sheltered. Nor is Iowa.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/25/2014 1:52 PM, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Jul 2014 07:34:05 -1000, dsi1
> > wrote:
>
>> On 7/25/2014 2:04 AM, Ema Nymton wrote:
>>>
>>> Chili is not served over rice, here, but it is all what you are used to.
>>> If you like it, then enjoy it. I would never put beans in my chili,
>>> but I like chili-mac, which has beans.
>>>
>>> Becca

>> Chili isn't popular in Japan but if it were, you can bet it's gonna be
>> served over rice. Until then, Hawaii might be the only place to get this
>> weird dish - at least we're not serving it on spaghetti. :-)

> I thought they do that in Texas too. I learned it from someone who
> was Filipino (and not from Hawaii).

They might eat chili over rice in Louisiana, but not in Texas.

My mother was born on the border of Texas and Louisiana and she cooked a
lot of cajun food, we ate more rice than potatoes or noodles. In school,
in Louisiana, we had rice almost every day. Needless to say, I love rice.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 7/24/2014 10:12 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> Another place where I never order a burger is also a burger place. I
>> actually haven't tried them so I can't say whether they are good or bad
>> but now that I think of it, nobody I have dined with has ever ordered a
>> burger in there. I have seen people with the mammoth and gloppy looking
>> burgers. I don't think they have any plain burgers on the menu. Only
>> fancy ones. I see them struggle to eat the sloppy things, then halfway
>> through, they look like they're going to bust and they ask for a doggy
>> bag.

> I have never, ever encountered a place that wouldn't serve a plain
> hamburger. They don't have to list them on the menu, just ask for a plain
> hamburger. Even McDonald's will do this.

Dicks will not. You have to get them as is. Most restaruants will serve
them as you want them. But as I said... I'm not a burger lover so if
there are other options, I'll eat that.

> I agree about the piled high gloppy burgers. Looks like you need a knife
> and fork to eat them.
>
> I occasionally catch an episode of Diners, Drive-ins & Dives (Guy Fieri).
> Some of the burgers and sandwiches are stacked so high it's
> incomprehensible (to me).

Yeah.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doris Night" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 24 Jul 2014 22:01:30 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>>On 7/24/2014 12:39 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>> I am surrounded by Denny's, Applebees, Outback, IHop, Bonefish, Qboba,
>>> Chipotle, Taco Del Mar,

>>(snipped a bunch of stuff)
>>>
>>> We do have two small local chains that is good and cooks from scratch
>>> but they rarely make changes to the menu and it gets boring.

>>Everything gets boring if you eat out all the time at chain restaurants.
>> You claim to be a good cook. So... cook it yourself.
>>
>>"Seems there are very few places here any more where they do cooking
>>from scratch. And all of the food seems the same from one place to the
>>next."
>>
>>It seems you're the one buying food on the run. You claim you can
>>easily make the same things at home. I quote: "Stuff that I can easily
>>make at home and for cheap." [BTW, that was very poor sentence
>>structure.] You'd have to prove it since you know the names of more
>>chain and fast food restaurants than I've ever heard of.

> FWIW, when we were on vacation we ate dinner at Applebees and Outback
> a couple of times, and I thought they were very good.
>
> If I had to eat there more than a couple of times a year I'd probably
> get bored of them too.
>
> Doris

I haven't tried Applebees in many years. The food didn't appeal to me and
the service was horrid. I also know from people who worked there that the
food comes frozen. Tried Outback once. Horrid service there too and not my
kind of food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "jinx the minx" > wrote in message

>>> Correct. But on countless TV shows, movies and in countless photographs,
>>> you see the stack of bread on the table.

>>> Hardly. Often served with salads too in lieu of croutons. I'm from the
>>> Midwest where pocorn is pretty much a food group. Also eaten as a >> breakfast cereal.
>>>>

>> Perhaps in *your* sheltered part of the Midwest, Kansas, but please do not
>> speak for the Midwest in general as you are incorrect. If you ate popcorn
>> as a breakfast cereal, that only speaks to your mother's gross > incompetence
>> in the kitchen.

> Wichita is hardly sheltered. Nor is Iowa.

Ah, yes, your experience living in Kansas as a very young child and your
(secondhand) knowledge of Iowa makes you an absolute expert on the whole of
the Midwest!
--
jinx the minx
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, July 25, 2014 11:58:56 AM UTC-10, Ema Nymton wrote:
> On 7/25/2014 1:52 PM, sf wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 25 Jul 2014 07:34:05 -1000, dsi1

> > > wrote:

> >> Chili isn't popular in Japan but if it were, you can bet it's gonna be

> >> served over rice. Until then, Hawaii might be the only place to get this

> >> weird dish - at least we're not serving it on spaghetti. :-)

> > I thought they do that in Texas too. I learned it from someone who

> > was Filipino (and not from Hawaii).

> They might eat chili over rice in Louisiana, but not in Texas.
>

> My mother was born on the border of Texas and Louisiana and she cooked a
>
> lot of cajun food, we ate more rice than potatoes or noodles. In school,
>
> in Louisiana, we had rice almost every day. Needless to say, I love rice.
>

> Becca

I've been trying to cut down on the rice but this morning I had a teriyaki Spam musubi and now I'm eating chicken katsu on a bed of rice with a side of macaroni salad. Holy carbs!

common crackers Jean B.[_1_] Historic 7 29-07-2013 05:50 PM
All-Bacon Burger Created By SoCal Burger Chain Slater's 50/50 Malcom \Mal\ Reynolds General Cooking 3 09-07-2012 12:33 AM
Best Burger Places in Denver, CO lsniff Restaurants 2 12-09-2011 12:31 PM
First Burger Join in Beirut - Lebanon (Classic Burger Joint)www.cbj.me lboodl Restaurants 0 05-04-2010 12:33 PM
World's most expensive ($200) Burger King burger Corey Richardson General Cooking 7 31-07-2008 12:53 PM