SportKite1

Default Pickled Shrimp

I'm planning on making some Pickled Shrimp for Thanksgiving. There are quite a
few recipes on the WWW that look quite good. Have any of you made this dish
before? Is it good?

Thanks,
Ellen

kilikini

"SportKite1" > wrote in message
> I'm planning on making some Pickled Shrimp for Thanksgiving. There are

quite a
> few recipes on the WWW that look quite good. Have any of you made this

dish
> before? Is it good?
>
> Thanks,
> Ellen

Pickled shrimp, interesting! After you decided on a recipe, will you please
let us know how it turned out? I'm curious. Sounds like something my
husband would like.

kili

SportKite1

>From: "kilikini"

>Pickled shrimp, interesting! After you decided on a recipe, will you please
>let us know how it turned out? I'm curious. Sounds like something my
>husband would like.
>
>kili

Here are two recipes I'm trying to decide between. Shrimp is very reasonable
right now - $4.99 lb for both white and pink - so I thought it would be a good
"make-ahead" contribution to Thanksgiving.

Fox Hill Pickled Shrimp Recipe

1 pound shrimp
1 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup water
2 to 3 sprigs French tarragon
3 cloves
2 bay leaves
2 cloves garlic or 2 3-inch sprigs of garlic greens
10 to 12 black peppercorns
3 to 4 peeled shallots or 1 small onion

Boil shrimp quickly in two quarts of water until they just begin to turn pink.
Cool, shell, devein. Set aside.

In a saucepan, combine and bring to a fast boil the remaining ingredients.

Place shrimp in a glass jar and pour hot marinade over them. Cover securely and
shake to distribute herbs evenly.

Refrigerate 24 to 48 hours. Drain.

Serve with toothpicks on a bed of watercress.

Makes about six appetizer servings.

Second Recipe -
http://www.goodcooking.com/gest_rec/pkshrigr.htm

Ellen

SportKite1

>From: "kilikini"

>Pickled shrimp, interesting! After you decided on a recipe, will you please
>let us know how it turned out? I'm curious. Sounds like something my
>husband would like.
>
>kili

Here are two recipes I'm trying to decide between. Shrimp is very reasonable
right now - $4.99 lb for both white and pink - so I thought it would be a good
"make-ahead" contribution to Thanksgiving.

Fox Hill Pickled Shrimp Recipe

1 pound shrimp
1 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup water
2 to 3 sprigs French tarragon
3 cloves
2 bay leaves
2 cloves garlic or 2 3-inch sprigs of garlic greens
10 to 12 black peppercorns
3 to 4 peeled shallots or 1 small onion

Boil shrimp quickly in two quarts of water until they just begin to turn pink.
Cool, shell, devein. Set aside.

In a saucepan, combine and bring to a fast boil the remaining ingredients.

Place shrimp in a glass jar and pour hot marinade over them. Cover securely and
shake to distribute herbs evenly.

Refrigerate 24 to 48 hours. Drain.

Serve with toothpicks on a bed of watercress.

Makes about six appetizer servings.

Second Recipe -
http://www.goodcooking.com/gest_rec/pkshrigr.htm

Ellen

notbob

On 2004-11-09, SportKite1 > wrote:

> Here are two recipes I'm trying to decide between. Shrimp is very reasonable
> right now - $4.99 lb for both white and pink....

My plug for buying environmentally safe seafood:

http://www.mbayaq.org/cr/cr_seafoodw..._regional.aspx

Clicking on each entry will provide further information.

nb

Katra

In article >,
(SportKite1) wrote:

> >From: "kilikini"

> >Pickled shrimp, interesting! After you decided on a recipe, will you please
> >let us know how it turned out? I'm curious. Sounds like something my
> >husband would like.
> >
> >kili

> Here are two recipes I'm trying to decide between. Shrimp is very reasonable
> right now - $4.99 lb for both white and pink - so I thought it would be a
> good
> "make-ahead" contribution to Thanksgiving.
>
> Fox Hill Pickled Shrimp Recipe
>
> 1 pound shrimp
> 1 cup white vinegar
> 1/4 cup water
> 2 to 3 sprigs French tarragon
> 3 cloves
> 2 bay leaves
> 2 cloves garlic or 2 3-inch sprigs of garlic greens
> 10 to 12 black peppercorns
> 3 to 4 peeled shallots or 1 small onion
>
> Boil shrimp quickly in two quarts of water until they just begin to turn
> pink.
> Cool, shell, devein. Set aside.
>
> In a saucepan, combine and bring to a fast boil the remaining ingredients.
>
> Place shrimp in a glass jar and pour hot marinade over them. Cover securely
> and
> shake to distribute herbs evenly.
>
> Refrigerate 24 to 48 hours. Drain.
>
> Serve with toothpicks on a bed of watercress.
>
> Makes about six appetizer servings.
>

> Second Recipe -

http://www.goodcooking.com/gest_rec/pkshrigr.htm

> Ellen

I think I'd substitute dill for the tarragon,
but that's just me. ;-)

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

PENMART01

> Katra writes:
>
>>(SportKite1) wrote:
>> >From: "kilikini"
>> >
>> >Pickled shrimp, interesting!

>> Here are two recipes
>>
>> Fox Hill Pickled Shrimp Recipe
>>
>> 1 pound shrimp
>> 1 cup white vinegar
>> 1/4 cup water
>> 2 to 3 sprigs French tarragon
>> 3 cloves

>I think I'd substitute dill for the tarragon,
>but that's just me. ;-)

No, it's me too... I hate tarragon, yik!

I'd omit the cloves too, I like them, very perfumy... but not with seafood...
I'm pretty certain my dental hygienist keeps a sachet of cloves tucked into her
cleavage.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
PENMART01

> Katra writes:
>
>>(SportKite1) wrote:
>> >From: "kilikini"
>> >
>> >Pickled shrimp, interesting!

>> Here are two recipes
>>
>> Fox Hill Pickled Shrimp Recipe
>>
>> 1 pound shrimp
>> 1 cup white vinegar
>> 1/4 cup water
>> 2 to 3 sprigs French tarragon
>> 3 cloves

>I think I'd substitute dill for the tarragon,
>but that's just me. ;-)

No, it's me too... I hate tarragon, yik!

I'd omit the cloves too, I like them, very perfumy... but not with seafood...
I'm pretty certain my dental hygienist keeps a sachet of cloves tucked into her
cleavage.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Katra

In article >,
(PENMART01) wrote:

> > Katra writes:

> >> Here are two recipes
> >>
> >> Fox Hill Pickled Shrimp Recipe
> >>
> >> 1 pound shrimp
> >> 1 cup white vinegar
> >> 1/4 cup water
> >> 2 to 3 sprigs French tarragon
> >> 3 cloves

> >I think I'd substitute dill for the tarragon,
> >but that's just me. ;-)

> No, it's me too... I hate tarragon, yik!

I don't really hate Tarragon, just not on seafood!
It's fine for poultry, but I can't seem to keep it alive in neigher my
greenhouse nor my herb garden. ;-( I prefer it fresh, not dried.

Dill and seafood just seem to go together. And maybe, just maybe, a
teensy bit of rosemary... but not much!

I've done baked fish with lemon and fresh dill, with a few leaves of
fresh basil. Comes out nice, then dressed lightly with some salt free
lemon pepper.

> I'd omit the cloves too, I like them, very perfumy... but not with seafood...
> I'm pretty certain my dental hygienist keeps a sachet of cloves tucked into
> her
> cleavage.

Cloves IMHO would overpower the delicate flavor of shrimp. It's best to
use lightly flavored herbs. Maybe 1 clove if you want just a hint of it,
but I'd substitute peppercorns.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

rmg

"SportKite1" > wrote in message
> I'm planning on making some Pickled Shrimp for Thanksgiving. There are
> quite a
> few recipes on the WWW that look quite good. Have any of you made this
> dish
> before? Is it good?
>
> Thanks,
> Ellen

This one has been intriguing me for a while:

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/re...s/views/105271

cheers,

rox

Gregory Morrow

Katra wrote:

> In article >,
> (PENMART01) wrote:

> > >I think I'd substitute dill for the tarragon,
> > >but that's just me. ;-)

> > No, it's me too... I hate tarragon, yik!

> I don't really hate Tarragon, just not on seafood!
> It's fine for poultry, but I can't seem to keep it alive in neigher my
> greenhouse nor my herb garden. ;-( I prefer it fresh, not dried.
>
> Dill and seafood just seem to go together. And maybe, just maybe, a
> teensy bit of rosemary... but not much!
>
> I've done baked fish with lemon and fresh dill, with a few leaves of
> fresh basil. Comes out nice, then dressed lightly with some salt free
> lemon pepper.
>

> > I'd omit the cloves too, I like them, very perfumy... but not with

seafood...
> > I'm pretty certain my dental hygienist keeps a sachet of cloves tucked

into
> > her
> > cleavage.

> Cloves IMHO would overpower the delicate flavor of shrimp. It's best to
> use lightly flavored herbs. Maybe 1 clove if you want just a hint of it,
> but I'd substitute peppercorns.

Mebbe Sheldon's dental hygienist stashes some cloves in a place "lower" than
her cleavage...

;---p

--
Best
Greg "ducking and running..."

Katra

In article .net>,
"Gregory Morrow" >
wrote:

> Katra wrote:

> > > No, it's me too... I hate tarragon, yik!

> > I don't really hate Tarragon, just not on seafood!
> > It's fine for poultry, but I can't seem to keep it alive in neigher my
> > greenhouse nor my herb garden. ;-( I prefer it fresh, not dried.
> >
> > Dill and seafood just seem to go together. And maybe, just maybe, a
> > teensy bit of rosemary... but not much!
> >
> > I've done baked fish with lemon and fresh dill, with a few leaves of
> > fresh basil. Comes out nice, then dressed lightly with some salt free
> > lemon pepper.
> >

> > > I'd omit the cloves too, I like them, very perfumy... but not with

> seafood...
> > > I'm pretty certain my dental hygienist keeps a sachet of cloves tucked

> into
> > > her
> > > cleavage.

> > Cloves IMHO would overpower the delicate flavor of shrimp. It's best to
> > use lightly flavored herbs. Maybe 1 clove if you want just a hint of it,
> > but I'd substitute peppercorns.

> Mebbe Sheldon's dental hygienist stashes some cloves in a place "lower" than
> her cleavage...
>
> ;---p

Was there ever any doubt? <lol>

K.
Katra

In article >,
The Joneses > wrote:

> Katra wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > (SportKite1) wrote:
> > > Fox Hill Pickled Shrimp Recipe
> > > 1 pound shrimp
> > > 1 cup white vinegar
> > > 1/4 cup water
> > > 2 to 3 sprigs French tarragon
> > > 3 cloves
> > > 2 bay leaves
> > > 2 cloves garlic or 2 3-inch sprigs of garlic greens
> > > 10 to 12 black peppercorns
> > > 3 to 4 peeled shallots or 1 small onion
> > > Boil shrimp quickly in two quarts of water until they just begin to turn
> > > pink. Cool, shell, devein. Set aside.
> > > In a saucepan, combine and bring to a fast boil the remaining
> > > ingredients.
> > > Place shrimp in a glass jar and pour hot marinade over them. Cover
> > > securely
> > > and shake to distribute herbs evenly.
> > > Refrigerate 24 to 48 hours. Drain.
> > > Serve with toothpicks on a bed of watercress.
> > > Makes about six appetizer servings.
> > >
> > > Second Recipe -

http://www.goodcooking.com/gest_rec/pkshrigr.htm

> > > Ellen

> > I think I'd substitute dill for the tarragon, but that's just me. ;-)
> > K.

> I just have to add a little hot chiles somewhere. Some minced jalepenyo, &
> might use a
> teeny sprinkle of cilantro. Red jalepenyos would keep their color better if
> added to
> the hot vinegar. An interesting addition instead of cloves might be a
> juniper berry.
> Edrena

That's an interesting idea... or a shot of gin if you don't have juniper
berries. :-)

I'd pass on the cilantro, but mine are the genes that make it taste like
soap! :-P My dad loves cilantro but I avidly hate it. <sigh>

I agree with the addition of chiles.
I get hundreds of Petin chiles from my wild bushes every year and
usually put them into vinigar. It flavors it nice and warm and I can use
that in various dishes.

The cockatoo gets a lot of them! <lol>

K.

2 Pickled Shrimp Recipes Hahabogus Diabetic 0 09-11-2004 02:58 PM
Pickled Shrimp? Bubba General Cooking 3 23-09-2004 10:40 AM
SHRIMP SCAMPI---- means "shrimp shrimp" Nancree General Cooking 54 05-05-2004 01:06 AM
Shrimp Cassarole-cook shrimp first?? Frank Mancuso General Cooking 1 05-12-2003 10:45 AM