Dee Randall

Default Chocolate Coating for Graham Crackers

My mom in 1940 used to coat/frost regular boxed graham crackers with
chocolate which hardened enough to eat without coating our hands. It was
thin, but not brittle. I have occasionally, but seldom, seen these in
"Borders" at the coffee counter.

I would like to make something similar, but don't want to put a packaged
frothy frosting or a "boiled to a certain degree candy-like" fudge on top.

Does anyone have any ideas about this or remember their mom doing the same
and have a suggestion?

Thanks,
Dee

PENMART01

>"Dee Randall" writes:
>
>My mom in 1940 used to coat/frost regular boxed graham crackers with
>chocolate which hardened enough to eat without coating our hands. It was
>thin, but not brittle. I have occasionally, but seldom, seen these in
>"Borders" at the coffee counter.
>
>I would like to make something similar, but don't want to put a packaged
>frothy frosting or a "boiled to a certain degree candy-like" fudge on top.
>
>Does anyone have any ideas about this or remember their mom doing the same
>and have a suggestion?

Try with a schmear of PB.

http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-...racker,FF.html

CHOCOLATE COVERED GRAHAM CRACKERS
from COOKS.COM

Graham crackers1 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips1 c. milk chocolate chipsParaffin
Melt semi-sweet and milk chocolate chips over hot but not boiling water. Add a
little paraffin to thin slightly. Dip graham crackers in mixture, completely
coating (don't let them get soggy). Remove and place on wax paper. Let cool
until coating sets.
---

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Nancy Young

Dee Randall wrote:

> Does anyone have any ideas about this or remember their mom doing the same
> and have a suggestion?

How about checking out a candy/cake supply store. They sell
'chocolate' discs, I forget what they are called. The word
Coating comes to mind, but I'm super not sure. I checked out
Wilton, they call them Candy Melts. I took a little candy making
class once, we made things like peanut butter cups, etc with them,
they tasted great.

nancy
Dimitri

"PENMART01" > wrote in message
> >"Dee Randall" writes:
> >
> >My mom in 1940 used to coat/frost regular boxed graham crackers with
> >chocolate which hardened enough to eat without coating our hands. It was
> >thin, but not brittle. I have occasionally, but seldom, seen these in
> >"Borders" at the coffee counter.
> >
> >I would like to make something similar, but don't want to put a packaged
> >frothy frosting or a "boiled to a certain degree candy-like" fudge on

top.

> >Does anyone have any ideas about this or remember their mom doing the

same
> >and have a suggestion?

> Try with a schmear of PB.

And an ice cold glass of extra rich milk.

Dimitri

Alex Rast

at Tue, 03 Feb 2004 12:49:09 GMT in >,
deedoveyatshenteldotnet (Dee Randall) wrote :

>My mom in 1940 used to coat/frost regular boxed graham crackers with
>chocolate which hardened enough to eat without coating our hands. It was
>thin, but not brittle. I have occasionally, but seldom, seen these in
>"Borders" at the coffee counter.

What you are describing is what is known as "compound coating" - chocolate
that's been combined with a certain amount of another vegetable fat,
generally palm kernel. Using palm kernel oil instead of cocoa butter raises
the melting point, so it doesn't melt in your hands so readily, and also
softens the consistency so it isn't as hard as pure chocolate. You can find
it in some supermarkets with bulk bins, usually as discs. Guittard is one
of the larger manufacturers of compound coating. They also make good
"regular" chocolate for coating graham crackers, which goes by the name of
"couverture". Couverture, unlike compound coating, uses only cocoa butter,
and has a large amount of it. It does melt in your hands, and it hardens to
a fully hard, brittle shell. In addition, it's more fussy to work with
because you have to "temper" it. Its advantage is that it tastes
significantly better than compound coating. Couverture is usually easier to
find for the home chef - virtually all quality eating chocolate is
couverture, as are the broken-up chunks of chocolate you see in other bulk
bins in other supermarkets.

One easy place to get compound coating online is
http://www.bakerscandc.com. It may be easier going that way than asking
your supermarket clerk, who as likely as not is going to be clueless.

--
Alex Rast

Frogleg

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 07:49:09 -0500, "Dee Randall"
<deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote:

>My mom in 1940 used to coat/frost regular boxed graham crackers with
>chocolate which hardened enough to eat without coating our hands.

Didn't there used to be chocolate-covered graham crackers available
commercially? I'm pretty sure I remember them, and my mother didn't
dabble in chocolate.
sf

On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 15:45:58 GMT, Frogleg
> wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 07:49:09 -0500, "Dee Randall"
> <deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote:
>
> >My mom in 1940 used to coat/frost regular boxed graham crackers with
> >chocolate which hardened enough to eat without coating our hands.

> Didn't there used to be chocolate-covered graham crackers available
> commercially? I'm pretty sure I remember them, and my mother didn't
> dabble in chocolate.

Yes and call me hopelessly lost in the past, but I thougnt
they still exsited.

Frogleg

On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 04:33:21 GMT, sf > wrote:

>On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 15:45:58 GMT, Frogleg
> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 3 Feb 2004 07:49:09 -0500, "Dee Randall"
>> <deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote:
>>
>> >My mom in 1940 used to coat/frost regular boxed graham crackers with
>> >chocolate which hardened enough to eat without coating our hands.

>> Didn't there used to be chocolate-covered graham crackers available
>> commercially? I'm pretty sure I remember them, and my mother didn't
>> dabble in chocolate.

>Yes and call me hopelessly lost in the past, but I thougnt
>they still exsited.

I hunted the web to check, and didn't find anything. Nabsico has a
chocolate-FLAVORED version, which wouldn't be the same at all.

Glad to see both that my memory wasn't failing (more than usual) and
that the passing of time baffles others. :-)

jmk

On 2/6/2004 6:00 AM, Frogleg wrote:
> On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 04:33:21 GMT, sf > wrote:
>

>>On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 15:45:58 GMT, Frogleg
> wrote:

>>> Didn't there used to be chocolate-covered graham crackers available
>>> commercially? I'm pretty sure I remember them, and my mother didn't
>>> dabble in chocolate.

>>Yes and call me hopelessly lost in the past, but I thougnt
>>they still exsited.

> I hunted the web to check, and didn't find anything. Nabsico has a
> chocolate-FLAVORED version, which wouldn't be the same at all.
>
> Glad to see both that my memory wasn't failing (more than usual) and
> that the passing of time baffles others. :-)

Most coffee shops have them. Why don't you ask where they get their
chocolate covered graham crakers?

--
jmk in NC

PENMART01

> jmk
>Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
>Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 09:05:38 -0500

>On 2/6/2004 6:00 AM, Frogleg wrote:
>> On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 04:33:21 GMT, sf > wrote:

>>>Yes and call me hopelessly lost in the past, but I thougnt
>>>they still exsited.

>> I hunted the web to check, and didn't find anything. Nabsico has a
>> chocolate-FLAVORED version, which wouldn't be the same at all.
>>
>> Glad to see both that my memory wasn't failing (more than usual) and
>> that the passing of time baffles others. :-)

>Most coffee shops have them. Why don't you ask where they get their
>chocolate covered graham crakers?

They're considered a confection, not a cracker. There are plenty of companys
producing chocolate covered grahams, just not by the major cookie companys (too
costly to produce a good product, and folks these days are more health concious
so they are not a big seller)... there are also lots of cheapo versions made
with fake chocolate, I see them in the stupidmarket cookie aisle all the time,
sometimes I even buy a package, but they are not very good. Most every NYC
appetizing store sells chocolate covered grahams, loose, by the pound.

http://www.newyorkcityfood.com/w02.html

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

sf

On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 11:00:52 GMT, Frogleg
> wrote:

> On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 04:33:21 GMT, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 15:45:58 GMT, Frogleg
> > wrote:

> >> Didn't there used to be chocolate-covered graham crackers available
> >> commercially? I'm pretty sure I remember them, and my mother didn't
> >> dabble in chocolate.

> >Yes and call me hopelessly lost in the past, but I thougnt
> >they still exsited.

> I hunted the web to check, and didn't find anything. Nabsico has a
> chocolate-FLAVORED version, which wouldn't be the same at all.
>
> Glad to see both that my memory wasn't failing (more than usual) and
> that the passing of time baffles others. :-)

Sorry to hear they (Nabisco's) aren't around anymore... they
were a real treat!

Lawrence Gilburtson

I can buy chocolate covered graham crackers at the local walmart...they
don;t have them all the time, but they do show pretty regular in the cookie
section...LG

> On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 11:00:52 GMT, Frogleg
> > wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 04:33:21 GMT, sf > wrote:

with

> > >Yes and call me hopelessly lost in the past, but I thougnt
> > >they still exsited.

> > I hunted the web to check, and didn't find anything. Nabsico has a
> > chocolate-FLAVORED version, which wouldn't be the same at all.
> >
> > Glad to see both that my memory wasn't failing (more than usual) and
> > that the passing of time baffles others. :-)

> Sorry to hear they (Nabisco's) aren't around anymore... they
> were a real treat!
>

> Practice safe eating - always use condiments

sf

Aha... look in the cookie section, not the crackers!

````````````

On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 10:13:31 GMT, "Lawrence Gilburtson"
> wrote:

> I can buy chocolate covered graham crackers at the local walmart...they
> don;t have them all the time, but they do show pretty regular in the cookie
> section...LG
>

> > Sorry to hear they (Nabisco's) aren't around anymore... they
> > were a real treat!

NancyJaye

Don't the Keebler Elves cover their graham crackers in chocolate??

NancyJaye

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 11:00:52 GMT, Frogleg
> > wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 04:33:21 GMT, sf > wrote:

with

> > >Yes and call me hopelessly lost in the past, but I thougnt
> > >they still exsited.

> > I hunted the web to check, and didn't find anything. Nabsico has a
> > chocolate-FLAVORED version, which wouldn't be the same at all.
> >
> > Glad to see both that my memory wasn't failing (more than usual) and
> > that the passing of time baffles others. :-)

> Sorry to hear they (Nabisco's) aren't around anymore... they
> were a real treat!
>

> Practice safe eating - always use condiments

PENMART01

>"NancyJaye"
>
>Don't the Keebler Elves cover their graham crackers in chocolate??

Used to. At one time, not too long ago, most every major cookie company
produced chocolate covered grahams. But folks have become much more diet
concious and those types of products have fallen from grace. Sales have
dropped off drastically and so they are discontinued... also decent chocolate
has become too costly so folks are not about to pay the price... and the cheapo
versions, 'no name' brands, are still sold but the chocolate is fake and tastes
awful.

Good quality chocolate covered grahams are still available from specialty
shops, but they cost about $10 a pound.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Wayne Boatwright

"NancyJaye" > wrote in
:

> Don't the Keebler Elves cover their graham crackers in chocolate??
>
> NancyJaye

They do indeed, and I bet they lick their fingers, too! <G>

> "sf" > wrote in message
>> On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 11:00:52 GMT, Frogleg
>> > wrote:

> with

>> > I hunted the web to check, and didn't find anything. Nabsico has a
>> > chocolate-FLAVORED version, which wouldn't be the same at all.
>> >
>> > Glad to see both that my memory wasn't failing (more than usual)
>> > and that the passing of time baffles others. :-)

>> Sorry to hear they (Nabisco's) aren't around anymore... they
>> were a real treat!
>>

>> Practice safe eating - always use condiments

blake murphy

On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 04:02:22 GMT, Wayne Boatwright

:

>> Don't the Keebler Elves cover their graham crackers in chocolate??
>>
>> NancyJaye

>They do indeed, and I bet they lick their fingers, too! <G>

not only that, but i think they're undocumented aliens.

your pal,
zontar

Graham crackers; also vinegar pie Dee Randall General Cooking 4 21-02-2006 05:06 PM
Nabisco original graham crackers? [email protected] Baking 20 06-01-2006 12:17 AM
Graham Crackers Tim Recipes 0 15-06-2005 10:31 AM
Graham Crackers Tim Recipes 0 15-06-2005 03:13 AM
Chocolate Coating Ice Cream LIsa Chocolate 6 16-10-2004 11:47 PM