Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default 67 giant African snails, meant for human consumption, seized at LAX

Just reading this article made me feel pretty sluggish...

67 giant African snails, meant for human consumption, seized at LAX

Federal authorities seized 67 live giant African snails this month at
Los Angeles International Airport. The snails, which arrived from
Nigeria, were packed in two picnic baskets.
By Veronica Rocha

Two picnic baskets packed with 67 live giant African snails were seized
by federal authorities at Los Angeles International Airport, authorities
said Monday.

The snails, which weighed a total of more than 35 pounds and reportedly
were intended for human consumption, was apparently the largest seizure
at LAX of the mollusks, which are sometimes fried and served as a snack.

The snails were discovered July 1 in two picnic baskets, which weighed
more than 35 pounds, said Lee Harty of U.S. Customs and Border Protection.

The snails arrived from Lagos, Nigeria, and were headed to San Dimas,
she said.

In the past, federal inspectors have discovered one or two of the large
snails hidden in luggage, but this marked "the first time this pest has
been encountered in such large quantity and as a consumption entry" in
Los Angeles, said Todd C. Owen, director of field operations for the
customs agency.

Giant African snails, also known as land snails, can live as long as 10
years and grow up to eight inches long. The snails can carry parasites
harmful to humans.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture deems the large snails as a damaging
species, consuming more than 500 types of plants, according to federal
authorities.

But when the snails can't find fruits and vegetables to eat, they will
"eat paint and stucco off of houses," the customs agency said in a
statement.

The incident remains under investigation.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Jul 2014 02:28:58 -0400, Travis McGee >
wrote:

> The snails, which weighed a total of more than 35 pounds and reportedly
> were intended for human consumption,

Saw this earlier on TV - what a lame excuse.

> was apparently the largest seizure at LAX of the mollusks,

That made me laugh.

> which are sometimes fried and served as a snack.

So why weren't they frozen - or canned the way imported French snails
are? That's rhetorical.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/15/2014 3:41 AM, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Jul 2014 02:28:58 -0400, Travis McGee >
> wrote:
>
>> The snails, which weighed a total of more than 35 pounds and reportedly
>> were intended for human consumption,

> Saw this earlier on TV - what a lame excuse.
>
>> was apparently the largest seizure at LAX of the mollusks,

> That made me laugh.
>
>> which are sometimes fried and served as a snack.

> So why weren't they frozen - or canned the way imported French snails
> are? That's rhetorical.

An old friend of mine is an agricultural inspector for LA county. He has
a huge inventory of stories of how people try to smuggle in various
agricultural products from places that aren't allowed. Fruit from
Hawaii are one common attempt; people will put them into tennis ball
cans and all sorts of other hiding places. If they get caught it can be
expensive, and all for something that can be bought legally here on the
mainland.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/14/2014 8:28 PM, Travis McGee wrote:
> Just reading this article made me feel pretty sluggish...
>
> 67 giant African snails, meant for human consumption, seized at LAX
>
> Federal authorities seized 67 live giant African snails this month at
> Los Angeles International Airport. The snails, which arrived from
> Nigeria, were packed in two picnic baskets.
> By Veronica Rocha
>
> Two picnic baskets packed with 67 live giant African snails were seized
> by federal authorities at Los Angeles International Airport, authorities
> said Monday.
>
> The snails, which weighed a total of more than 35 pounds and reportedly
> were intended for human consumption, was apparently the largest seizure
> at LAX of the mollusks, which are sometimes fried and served as a snack.
>
> The snails were discovered July 1 in two picnic baskets, which weighed
> more than 35 pounds, said Lee Harty of U.S. Customs and Border Protection.
>
> The snails arrived from Lagos, Nigeria, and were headed to San Dimas,
> she said.
>
> In the past, federal inspectors have discovered one or two of the large
> snails hidden in luggage, but this marked "the first time this pest has
> been encountered in such large quantity and as a consumption entry" in
> Los Angeles, said Todd C. Owen, director of field operations for the
> customs agency.
>
> Giant African snails, also known as land snails, can live as long as 10
> years and grow up to eight inches long. The snails can carry parasites
> harmful to humans.
>
> The U.S. Department of Agriculture deems the large snails as a damaging
> species, consuming more than 500 types of plants, according to federal
> authorities.
>
> But when the snails can't find fruits and vegetables to eat, they will
> "eat paint and stucco off of houses," the customs agency said in a
> statement.
>
> The incident remains under investigation.

The house we grew up in was next to the biggest preservation wetland in
the state. As such, the place was crawling, slithering, and hopping with
the local wildlife. Cane toads and African snails were the most
prevalent and noticeable. The African snails were quite impressive to
see and they overran our backyard. In order to reach our house they had
to cross the road and this is where a lot of them met their doom. The
street was literally paved with the squashed bodies of toad and snail.
Eventually man won out over nature and these days, we rarely ever see a
large African snail or cane toad. You guys in CA got nothing to worry
about. Take that, nature!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Jul 2014 00:10:57 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

> The house we grew up in was next to the biggest preservation wetland in
> the state. As such, the place was crawling, slithering, and hopping with
> the local wildlife. Cane toads and African snails were the most
> prevalent and noticeable. The African snails were quite impressive to
> see and they overran our backyard. In order to reach our house they had
> to cross the road and this is where a lot of them met their doom. The
> street was literally paved with the squashed bodies of toad and snail.
> Eventually man won out over nature and these days, we rarely ever see a
> large African snail or cane toad. You guys in CA got nothing to worry
> about. Take that, nature!

We get a Gypsy moth scare occasionally, but we have lots of chemicals
to use.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Travis McGoo wrote:

>Just reading this article made me feel pretty sluggish...
>
>67 giant African snails, meant for human consumption, seized at LAX
>
>Federal authorities seized 67 live giant African snails this month at
>Los Angeles International Airport. The snails, which arrived from
>Nigeria, were packed in two picnic baskets.
>By Veronica Rocha
>
>Two picnic baskets packed with 67 live giant African snails were seized
>by federal authorities at Los Angeles International Airport, authorities
>said Monday.
>
>The snails, which weighed a total of more than 35 pounds and reportedly
>were intended for human consumption, was apparently the largest seizure
>at LAX of the mollusks, which are sometimes fried and served as a snack.
>
>The snails were discovered July 1 in two picnic baskets, which weighed
>more than 35 pounds, said Lee Harty of U.S. Customs and Border Protection.
>
>The snails arrived from Lagos, Nigeria, and were headed to San Dimas,
>she said.
>
>In the past, federal inspectors have discovered one or two of the large
>snails hidden in luggage, but this marked "the first time this pest has
>been encountered in such large quantity and as a consumption entry" in
>Los Angeles, said Todd C. Owen, director of field operations for the
>customs agency.
>
>Giant African snails, also known as land snails, can live as long as 10
>years and grow up to eight inches long. The snails can carry parasites
>harmful to humans.
>
>The U.S. Department of Agriculture deems the large snails as a damaging
>species, consuming more than 500 types of plants, according to federal
>authorities.
>
>But when the snails can't find fruits and vegetables to eat, they will
>"eat paint and stucco off of houses," the customs agency said in a
>statement.
>
>The incident remains under investigation.

Travis/Travisty MickGoo is slimier than those snails...

When copying and pasting an article it behooves to include a citation
otherwise you're commiting a Douchebag act of Plagiarism, especially
if you redact to make the issue innocent... those mollusks harbor
dangerous parasites.
http://www.aol.com/article/2014/07/1...6pLid%3D501729

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/15/2014 2:42 AM, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Jul 2014 00:10:57 -1000, dsi1
> > wrote:
>
>> The house we grew up in was next to the biggest preservation wetland in
>> the state. As such, the place was crawling, slithering, and hopping with
>> the local wildlife. Cane toads and African snails were the most
>> prevalent and noticeable. The African snails were quite impressive to
>> see and they overran our backyard. In order to reach our house they had
>> to cross the road and this is where a lot of them met their doom. The
>> street was literally paved with the squashed bodies of toad and snail.
>> Eventually man won out over nature and these days, we rarely ever see a
>> large African snail or cane toad. You guys in CA got nothing to worry
>> about. Take that, nature!

> We get a Gypsy moth scare occasionally, but we have lots of chemicals
> to use.

It was mosquito hell at our place for the first few years. We used to
have DDT trucks come down our street spraying the neighborhood. I can't
say if it really was DDT though. Evidently, that stuff we were breathing
was completely harmless. Most things were harmless back then. Not like
today... :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/15/2014 12:21 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Jul 2014 02:28:58 -0400, Travis McGee wrote:
>
>> The snails were discovered July 1 in two picnic baskets, which weighed
>> more than 35 pounds, said Lee Harty of U.S. Customs and Border Protection.

> Picnic baskets. How ingenious. Who would have ever thought ot look
> in picnic baskets.

Pretty funny. Nope, no one would ever think to look in those. I wonder
if they were checked luggage or shipped via a commercial air service?
Who knows what the airport scanners are like in Nigeria. The sender
forgot that whole annoying Customs Agents thing.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/15/2014 2:59 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> Travis McGoo wrote:
>>
>> Just reading this article made me feel pretty sluggish...
>>
>> 67 giant African snails, meant for human consumption, seized at LAX
>>
>> Federal authorities seized 67 live giant African snails this month at
>> Los Angeles International Airport. The snails, which arrived from
>> Nigeria, were packed in two picnic baskets.
>> By Veronica Rocha
>>
>> Two picnic baskets packed with 67 live giant African snails were seized
>> by federal authorities at Los Angeles International Airport, authorities
>> said Monday.
>>
>> The snails, which weighed a total of more than 35 pounds and reportedly
>> were intended for human consumption, was apparently the largest seizure
>> at LAX of the mollusks, which are sometimes fried and served as a snack.
>>
>> The snails were discovered July 1 in two picnic baskets, which weighed
>> more than 35 pounds, said Lee Harty of U.S. Customs and Border Protection.
>>
>> The snails arrived from Lagos, Nigeria, and were headed to San Dimas,
>> she said.
>>
>> In the past, federal inspectors have discovered one or two of the large
>> snails hidden in luggage, but this marked "the first time this pest has
>> been encountered in such large quantity and as a consumption entry" in
>> Los Angeles, said Todd C. Owen, director of field operations for the
>> customs agency.
>>
>> Giant African snails, also known as land snails, can live as long as 10
>> years and grow up to eight inches long. The snails can carry parasites
>> harmful to humans.
>>
>> The U.S. Department of Agriculture deems the large snails as a damaging
>> species, consuming more than 500 types of plants, according to federal
>> authorities.
>>
>> But when the snails can't find fruits and vegetables to eat, they will
>> "eat paint and stucco off of houses," the customs agency said in a
>> statement.
>>
>> The incident remains under investigation.

> Travis/Travisty MickGoo is slimier than those snails...
>
> When copying and pasting an article it behooves to include a citation
> otherwise you're commiting a Douchebag act of Plagiarism, especially
> if you redact to make the issue innocent... those mollusks harbor
> dangerous parasites.
> http://www.aol.com/article/2014/07/1...6pLid%3D501729

The OP did give credit to the writer of this article so it probably does
not qualify as plagiarism. The writer was not Krysta Fauria.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, July 15, 2014 12:21:51 PM UTC-4, Sqwertz wrote:

> Picnic baskets. How ingenious. Who would have ever thought ot look
>
> in picnic baskets.

Well, yes and no.

I suppose customs officials will look everywhere these days.
However, Edgar Allen Poe's well-known trick CAN work in other,
different situations...if you know your enemy well enough. (The
other problem is that when you have multiple people in a group
searching for the same thing, chances are that if one person
overlooks a hiding place, the next person won't.)

Here's Poe's text, if you like:

http://xroads.virginia.edu/~HYPER/POE/purloine.html

(And in theory, you don't have to hide an object in plain sight -
you can put food in a picnic basket IF your enemy is likely to think
"that's too obvious - they'd never hide it there.")

Lenona.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Aargh...that's "Allan."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Jul 2014 06:59:06 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

> On 7/15/2014 2:42 AM, sf wrote:
> > On Tue, 15 Jul 2014 00:10:57 -1000, dsi1
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> The house we grew up in was next to the biggest preservation wetland in
> >> the state. As such, the place was crawling, slithering, and hopping with
> >> the local wildlife. Cane toads and African snails were the most
> >> prevalent and noticeable. The African snails were quite impressive to
> >> see and they overran our backyard. In order to reach our house they had
> >> to cross the road and this is where a lot of them met their doom. The
> >> street was literally paved with the squashed bodies of toad and snail.
> >> Eventually man won out over nature and these days, we rarely ever see a
> >> large African snail or cane toad. You guys in CA got nothing to worry
> >> about. Take that, nature!

> > We get a Gypsy moth scare occasionally, but we have lots of chemicals
> > to use.
> >

> It was mosquito hell at our place for the first few years. We used to
> have DDT trucks come down our street spraying the neighborhood. I can't
> say if it really was DDT though. Evidently, that stuff we were breathing
> was completely harmless. Most things were harmless back then. Not like
> today... :-)

If you believe in the bible as it was written, don't you wish Noah had
swatted those two mosquitoes?

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/15/2014 9:32 AM, sf wrote:

> If you believe in the bible as it was written, don't you wish Noah had
> swatted those two mosquitoes?

God works in mysterious ways and even though it might not be evident,
they must fit into his plan. I've been trying to figure out what purpose
they serve and the only think I can think of is that they provide food
for bats. That can't be it, can it?

OTOH, they are the most dangerous animal in the world, and some folks
believe that malaria has killed half the number of humans that have ever
lived. If that's the case, then mosquitoes exist because God likes to
kill people. That's the breaks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Jul 2014 11:15:28 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

> OTOH, they are the most dangerous animal in the world, and some folks
> believe that malaria has killed half the number of humans that have ever
> lived. If that's the case, then mosquitoes exist because God likes to
> kill people. That's the breaks.

It helps with population control too.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 7/15/2014 9:32 AM, sf wrote:
>>
>> If you believe in the bible as it was written, don't you wish Noah had
>> swatted those two mosquitoes?
>>

> God works in mysterious ways and even though it might not be evident, they
> must fit into his plan. I've been trying to figure out what purpose they
> serve and the only think I can think of is that they provide food for
> bats. That can't be it, can it?
>
> OTOH, they are the most dangerous animal in the world, and some folks
> believe that malaria has killed half the number of humans that have ever
> lived. If that's the case, then mosquitoes exist because God likes to kill
> people. That's the breaks.

lol

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/15/2014 3:32 PM, sf wrote:

> If you believe in the bible as it was written, don't you wish Noah had
> swatted those two mosquitoes?

And the midgies, too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Jul 2014 17:34:02 -0400, S Viemeister
> wrote:

> On 7/15/2014 3:32 PM, sf wrote:
>
> > If you believe in the bible as it was written, don't you wish Noah had
> > swatted those two mosquitoes?
> >

> And the midgies, too.

Not sure what they are. Gnats, fruit flies?

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Senior Member

Location: WI

Or, just one of the two. maybe one of the ticks , as well.

These smugglers need to take some lessons from narcotrafickers and dehydrate and pulverize the gargantuan snails, and hide them in foot powder bottles.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Travis McGee wrote:

> 67 giant African snails, meant for human consumption, seized at LAX

They're terrible pests. Just ask anyone from Hawaii.
Voracious snails on steroids.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/15/2014 5:52 PM, sf wrote:
> > wrote:
>
>> On 7/15/2014 3:32 PM, sf wrote:
>>
>>> If you believe in the bible as it was written, don't you wish Noah had
>>> swatted those two mosquitoes?
>>>

>> And the midgies, too.

> Not sure what they are. Gnats, fruit flies?

Similar to no-see-ums.
<http://www.ionalister.com/midge.htm>
I have a midge-proof hooded jacket to wear when I work in the garden.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/15/2014 3:32 PM, sf wrote:
> If you believe in the bible as it was written, don't you wish Noah had
> swatted those two mosquitoes?

We could have done without Palmetto bugs (big roaches), too.
Although I suppose some birds and snakes eat them.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Jul 2014 20:46:36 -0400, S Viemeister
> wrote:

> On 7/15/2014 5:52 PM, sf wrote:
> > > wrote:

> >> And the midgies, too.

> > Not sure what they are. Gnats, fruit flies?
> >

> Similar to no-see-ums.
> <http://www.ionalister.com/midge.htm>
> I have a midge-proof hooded jacket to wear when I work in the garden.

Thanks. We have something that goes by the common name "mosquito
eater" here that looks similar and I can certainly "see-em", because
they are huge. I didn't have any experience with them until I came to
California, but I was assured they didn't bite. Oh, yes they do! One
bit me, so obviously they are not crane flies. I was shocked, so I
watched when the next time one landed on me and sure enough it started
putting its proboscis into my skin. I killed that sucker and haven't
looked back. If I see them first, I kill them before they can do any
damage to me.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"S Viemeister" > wrote in message
> On 7/15/2014 3:32 PM, sf wrote:
>
>> If you believe in the bible as it was written, don't you wish Noah had
>> swatted those two mosquitoes?
>>

> And the midgies, too.

Ohhhhh Yes! Especially the midges!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"S Viemeister" > wrote in message
> On 7/15/2014 5:52 PM, sf wrote:
>> > wrote:

>>> And the midgies, too.

>> Not sure what they are. Gnats, fruit flies?
>>

> Similar to no-see-ums.
> <http://www.ionalister.com/midge.htm>
> I have a midge-proof hooded jacket to wear when I work in the garden.

They might be wee but they are vicious!!!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/15/2014 10:29 PM, sf wrote:
> > wrote:
>>> Not sure what they are. Gnats, fruit flies?

>> Similar to no-see-ums.
>> <http://www.ionalister.com/midge.htm>
>> I have a midge-proof hooded jacket to wear when I work in the garden.

> Thanks. We have something that goes by the common name "mosquito
> eater" here that looks similar and I can certainly "see-em", because
> they are huge. I didn't have any experience with them until I came to
> California, but I was assured they didn't bite. Oh, yes they do! One
> bit me, so obviously they are not crane flies. I was shocked, so I
> watched when the next time one landed on me and sure enough it started
> putting its proboscis into my skin. I killed that sucker and haven't
> looked back. If I see them first, I kill them before they can do any
> damage to me.

Midges are tiny - vicious little bits of biting dust, and they travel in
huge, cloud-like groups. I hate them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/16/2014 4:56 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> "S Viemeister" > wrote in message
>> <http://www.ionalister.com/midge.htm>
>> I have a midge-proof hooded jacket to wear when I work in the garden.

> They might be wee but they are vicious!!!

They are, indeed. I react very badly to them - my arms are covered with
tiny white scars. And they _love_ me! If Himself wants to avoid midge
attack, all he has to do is stand next to me...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"S Viemeister" > wrote in message
> On 7/16/2014 4:56 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>> "S Viemeister" > wrote in message
>>> <http://www.ionalister.com/midge.htm>
>>> I have a midge-proof hooded jacket to wear when I work in the garden.

>> They might be wee but they are vicious!!!
>>

> They are, indeed. I react very badly to them - my arms are covered with
> tiny white scars. And they _love_ me! If Himself wants to avoid midge
> attack, all he has to do is stand next to me...

They rather like me too

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 16 Jul 2014 07:17:45 -0400, S Viemeister
> wrote:

> Midges are tiny - vicious little bits of biting dust, and they travel in
> huge, cloud-like groups. I hate them.

That reminds me of gnats, but I haven't been bitten by one of those
since I left Michigan.

Finally! Enough people have searched for "midge insect" that Google
turned up some decent information for me. They *are* gnats.
http://wildaboututah.org/midges-gnats-and-no-see-ums/
I hate gnat bites too, they hurt and bleed.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, July 15, 2014 1:28:58 AM UTC-5, Travis McGee wrote:
> [...]

> snails hidden in luggage, but this marked "the first time this pest has
>
> been encountered in such large quantity and as a consumption entry" in
>
> Los Angeles, said Todd C. Owen, director of field operations for the
>
> customs agency.
>

> Giant African snails, also known as land snails, can live as long as 10
>
> years and grow up to eight inches long. The snails can carry parasites
>
> harmful to humans.
>

> The U.S. Department of Agriculture deems the large snails as a damaging
>
> species, consuming more than 500 types of plants, according to federal
>
> authorities.
>

> But when the snails can't find fruits and vegetables to eat, they will
>
> "eat paint and stucco off of houses," the customs agency said in a
>
> statement.
>

> The incident remains under investigation.

when we lived in Hawaii, they were pretty common, They were huge. At that time I did not think about eating them!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, says...

> On Wed, 16 Jul 2014 07:17:45 -0400, S Viemeister
> > wrote:
>
> > Midges are tiny - vicious little bits of biting dust, and they travel in
> > huge, cloud-like groups. I hate them.

> That reminds me of gnats, but I haven't been bitten by one of those
> since I left Michigan.
>
> Finally! Enough people have searched for "midge insect" that Google
> turned up some decent information for me. They *are* gnats.

http://wildaboututah.org/midges-gnats-and-no-see-ums/

No, they are not. Yout cite is American, it's an American comnparing American
insects. American midges may be gnats.

Scottish midges (Culicoides impunctatus) are NOT gnats (culex pipiens) and nothing
like mosquitoes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highland_midge

http://www.bpca.org.uk/pages/?page_id=178

Janet UK

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, July 16, 2014 12:21:56 PM UTC+1, S Viemeister wrote:
> On 7/16/2014 4:56 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>
> > "S Viemeister" > wrote in message

> >> <http://www.ionalister.com/midge.htm>

> >> I have a midge-proof hooded jacket to wear when I work in the garden.

> > They might be wee but they are vicious!!!
> >

> They are, indeed. I react very badly to them - my arms are covered with
>
> tiny white scars. And they _love_ me! If Himself wants to avoid midge
>
> attack, all he has to do is stand next to me...

Midges dislike very much Lavender and Rosemary. My sil was always getting bitten when working in the garden. The poor luv her face would quite swollen from where she was bit. I had read an article about Lavender and Rosemary and now she as goes into the garden she crushes some in her hand and rubs it over her face and arms. She said it works like a charm.

Cherry