Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default OT Fireworks

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message

>>> And maybe some are women are buying for their FIL, so you just never
>>> know.
>>>

>> Since you are trying to hard to deny reality, I suggest that you check
>> out the advertisements. I know you will see ads for makeup, brassieres,
>> feminine hygiene products, tooth paste and whiteners soups and salad
>> dressings. You may see ads for family cars and female tye sports cars.
>> You won't be seeing ads for Harley Davidson motorcycles, Evinrude
>> outboard motors and Stihl chain saws

> I was simply saying that I have seen men buy them too, and since you are
> trying hard to prove something that can't be proven since nobody really
> knows who reads those things when the person that bought them brings them
> home, maybe both are reading, but you sure do know a lot about the ads, so
> I will defer to your expertise in the matter, and that should satisfy your
> cranky little self.

lol

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 7 Jul 2014 22:49:22 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:
>

> "sf" > wrote in message

> >> ^ +1! 8
> >>

> > Only if she buys it. Fortunately, there are decent cooking magazines
> > to peruse while waiting in line these days.

> If I have to wait in line, I have books on my phone and I would read on of
> those!

More often than not, my phone is dead by the time I'm in line. That
battery is not long lived, especially when I'm referring to Out of
Milk.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/7/2014 5:49 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> If I have to wait in line, I have books on my phone and I would read on
> of those!

I rarely have to wait long in line. Certainly not long enough to have
to find something to read.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/7/2014 6:51 PM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Jul 2014 22:49:22 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:

>>> Only if she buys it. Fortunately, there are decent cooking magazines
>>> to peruse while waiting in line these days.

>> If I have to wait in line, I have books on my phone and I would read on of
>> those!

> More often than not, my phone is dead by the time I'm in line. That
> battery is not long lived, especially when I'm referring to Out of
> Milk.

And here I thought those devices and apps were supposed to be so handy. LOL

Jill <---sticking with her paper list
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Celebrity Stuff (WAS: OT Fireworks)

On 7/7/2014 1:53 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 7/7/2014 10:42 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>

>> Fact: before Elvis' remains were interred on the grounds of Graceland
>> (his home/estate) he was buried in Memorial Park Cemetery. Someone
>> tried to dig up his body. Who the hell does that?! What were they
>> planning to do, stash him in the attic? Conclusion: some people are
>> just plain crazy.
>>
>> Jill

> Nothing new. In Italy they used to dig up and steal some saints and take
> them to other towns. Some people treat Elvis as a saint too, it seems.

Yep, these loonies have turned Elvis worship into a religion. It's
really rather freaky how people latch onto celebrities.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/7/2014 2:27 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

> Idol worship is a funny thing. There were some efforts not to renew the
> lease on Jim Morrison's grave in Pere LaChaisse cemetery, but it was
> eventually converted to a perpetual one. There were concerns about fans
> loitering and graffiti and other vandalism on nearby graves. I have
> been through that cemetery a couple times and there are always groups of
> young people hanging around morosely. The guy died in 1971 and most of
> those people were either very young or had not even been born then.

They must have seen the movie about The Doors. All that angst...

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-07-07 16:53, sf wrote:

>> Since you are trying to hard to deny reality, I suggest that you check
>> out the advertisements. I know you will see ads for makeup, brassieres,
>> feminine hygiene products, tooth paste and whiteners soups and salad
>> dressings. You may see ads for family cars and female tye sports cars.
>> You won't be seeing ads for Harley Davidson motorcycles, Evinrude
>> outboard motors and Stihl chain saws,

> It sounds like you've read more of them than Cheri has if you know who
> the ads are targeted at.

Really? How many of those things do you have to look at to realize what
is going on? I have spent enough time in walk in medical and dental
offices to be exposed to those things. I seriously doubt the target
demographic changes from one issue to the next.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-07-07 16:45, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 07 Jul 2014 16:11:56 -0400, pltrgyst > wrote:
>
>> On 7/7/14, 12:11 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>>> One of life's big disappointment is to be in a grocery store checkout
>>> line behind a very attractive woman.... and then she grabs one of those
>>> gossip rags. You are struck with the reality of the notion that brains
>>> and beauty do not mix.

>> ^ +1! 8
>>

> Only if she buys it. Fortunately, there are decent cooking magazines
> to peruse while waiting in line these days.

It was a grocery store not Starbucks attached to a Chapters.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/7/2014 7:45 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> I have spent enough time in walk in medical and dental offices to be
> exposed to those things. I seriously doubt the target demographic
> changes from one issue to the next.

Funny. Whenever I've gone into medical or dental offices I didn't pick
up the magazines on the table. If I knew I'd have a wait I brought a
book along. Even the out of date magazines in said offices never
equated to the supermarket tabloids.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/7/2014 7:46 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2014-07-07 16:45, sf wrote:

>>> ^ +1! 8
>>>

>> Only if she buys it. Fortunately, there are decent cooking magazines
>> to peruse while waiting in line these days.
>>

> It was a grocery store not Starbucks attached to a Chapters.

I still don't understand why people are standing in line reading rag
newspapers at the grocery store. Are the lines really that long? Is
the wait time all that much? I don't need reading material when I'm at
the checkout stand. Maybe I'm just odd.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-07-07 20:21, jmcquown wrote:
> On 7/7/2014 7:46 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

>>> Only if she buys it. Fortunately, there are decent cooking magazines
>>> to peruse while waiting in line these days.
>>>

>> It was a grocery store not Starbucks attached to a Chapters.

> I still don't understand why people are standing in line reading rag
> newspapers at the grocery store. Are the lines really that long? Is
> the wait time all that much? I don't need reading material when I'm at
> the checkout stand. Maybe I'm just odd.

When I mentioned that observation I was referring to people buying the
magazines. It never occurred to me that they were just reading while
they waited, especially since, being that close to the magazines would
mean they are next in line.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 07 Jul 2014 20:20:30 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 7/7/2014 7:45 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> > I have spent enough time in walk in medical and dental offices to be
> > exposed to those things. I seriously doubt the target demographic
> > changes from one issue to the next.

> Funny. Whenever I've gone into medical or dental offices I didn't pick
> up the magazines on the table. If I knew I'd have a wait I brought a
> book along. Even the out of date magazines in said offices never
> equated to the supermarket tabloids.

I've never seen that type of magazine in a medical or dental office.
Ever.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/7/2014 8:45 PM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 07 Jul 2014 20:20:30 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 7/7/2014 7:45 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>>> I have spent enough time in walk in medical and dental offices to be
>>> exposed to those things. I seriously doubt the target demographic
>>> changes from one issue to the next.

>> Funny. Whenever I've gone into medical or dental offices I didn't pick
>> up the magazines on the table. If I knew I'd have a wait I brought a
>> book along. Even the out of date magazines in said offices never
>> equated to the supermarket tabloids.
>>

> I've never seen that type of magazine in a medical or dental office.
> Ever.

What I've seen have been out of date Southern Living magazines.
Certainly not tabloid rags.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 07 Jul 2014 19:24:38 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 7/7/2014 6:51 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Mon, 7 Jul 2014 22:49:22 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > > wrote:

> >> If I have to wait in line, I have books on my phone and I would read on of
> >> those!

> > More often than not, my phone is dead by the time I'm in line. That
> > battery is not long lived, especially when I'm referring to Out of
> > Milk.
> >

> And here I thought those devices and apps were supposed to be so handy. LOL
>
> Jill <---sticking with her paper list

Oh, no. The old flip phones were fine because you didn't do anything
but talk on them. These smart phones are asked to do so much that
their batteries die quickly.
http://pixel.nymag.com/imgs/daily/in...60.h470.2x.jpg

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 07 Jul 2014 19:46:28 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> On 2014-07-07 16:45, sf wrote:

> >> ^ +1! 8
> >>

> > Only if she buys it. Fortunately, there are decent cooking magazines
> > to peruse while waiting in line these days.
> >

> It was a grocery store not Starbucks attached to a Chapters.

No idea what you're talking about, but I was talking grocery store.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On 7/7/2014 7:45 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> I have spent enough time in walk in medical and dental offices to be
>> exposed to those things. I seriously doubt the target demographic
>> changes from one issue to the next.

>Funny. Whenever I've gone into medical or dental offices I didn't pick
>up the magazines on the table. If I knew I'd have a wait I brought a
>book along. Even the out of date magazines in said offices never
>equated to the supermarket tabloids.
>
>Jill

The only place that I have seen many, many magazines of many types is
at the cancer treatment center. They always had stacks of new and
newer magazines available in addition to TV, puzzles, coffee, juice,
crackers, cookies and snack bars. Any other doctor's office had that
children's health magazine and an adult health brochure of some sort.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-07-07 20:50, jmcquown wrote:
> On 7/7/2014 8:45 PM, sf wrote:
>> On Mon, 07 Jul 2014 20:20:30 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>>> Funny. Whenever I've gone into medical or dental offices I didn't pick
>>> up the magazines on the table. If I knew I'd have a wait I brought a
>>> book along. Even the out of date magazines in said offices never
>>> equated to the supermarket tabloids.
>>>

>> I've never seen that type of magazine in a medical or dental office.
>> Ever.
>>

> What I've seen have been out of date Southern Living magazines.
> Certainly not tabloid rags.

No People magazine? They are standard fare in hospital, doctors offices
and dental offices. According to my wife, they are also commonly
available in hair salons.
I pointed our that 83.7% of Heat magazine's readers are female, mostly
in their 20s and 30s.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/7/2014 8:50 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 7/7/2014 8:45 PM, sf wrote:
>> On Mon, 07 Jul 2014 20:20:30 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>>> Funny. Whenever I've gone into medical or dental offices I didn't pick
>>> up the magazines on the table. If I knew I'd have a wait I brought a
>>> book along. Even the out of date magazines in said offices never
>>> equated to the supermarket tabloids.
>>>

>> I've never seen that type of magazine in a medical or dental office.
>> Ever.
>>

> What I've seen have been out of date Southern Living magazines.
> Certainly not tabloid rags.

I certainly see People Magazine, though that is not a tabloid,
you might be including them there. My dentist office has a
really large selection of magazines to cover many interests.
You'd think they kept you waiting long if you saw that collection,
but they never do.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/7/2014 6:32 AM, Cheri wrote:

> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
>> On 2014-07-07 11:25 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>>
>>> I'm an exception, too. I've never bought one of those tabloid rags and
>>> never will. But yes, *someone* is buying them.
>>>

>> One of life's big disappointment is to be in a grocery store checkout
>> line behind a very attractive woman.... and then she grabs one of
>> those gossip rags. You are struck with the reality of the notion that
>> brains and beauty do not mix.

> Well, I do see men buying them too. When I worked at a drugstore, the
> new ones came out on Wednesdays and several older men would be there to
> buy them. More women for sure though.
>
> Cheri

Count me in on that! I used to be hooked on Weekly World News. Too bad
they stopped publishing so soon after I started being a fan. They have a
website but nothing beats holding an actual rag in your hands.

http://weeklyworldnews.com/headlines...e-chick-fil-a/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-07-07 21:26, dsi1 wrote:

> Count me in on that! I used to be hooked on Weekly World News. Too bad
> they stopped publishing so soon after I started being a fan. They have a
> website but nothing beats holding an actual rag in your hands.
>
> http://weeklyworldnews.com/headlines...e-chick-fil-a/

I will leave that one for Sheldon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/6/2014 10:28 AM, Pico Rico wrote:
> "Tommy Joe" > wrote in message
> ImStillMags wrote:
>

>> Don't try this at home.

> The other night the cops appeared at my door telling me they found a dead
> guy down the street and wanted to know if I had heard any shots.
>
> "Yeah", I said, "but I thought they were fireworks."
>
> I didn't like the way they were looking at me. They were the same two cops
> who showed up two months ago when a dude was shot to death down the street
> and they wanted to know if I had heard the shots.
>
> "Yes", I told them that time, "but I thought it was coming from someone's
> TV."
>
> "Well, you're going to know without a doubt where this sound is coming from,
> punk", boomed one of the cops while drawing his pistol as his partner
> grabbed him by the shoulder and shook him gently, calming him by repeating
> over and over, "It's just the 4th of July, Jack - forget it, forget it -
> it's just the 4th of July........", as the trumpet-lead theme from the movie
> China town edged in slowly and sweetly to wind down the drama.
>
> TJ
>
> ----------
>
> did he kill you?

*snork*

--
ღ.¸¸.œ«*¨`*œ¶
Cheryl
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/7/2014 3:46 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2014-07-07 21:26, dsi1 wrote:
>
>> Count me in on that! I used to be hooked on Weekly World News. Too bad
>> they stopped publishing so soon after I started being a fan. They have a
>> website but nothing beats holding an actual rag in your hands.
>>
>> http://weeklyworldnews.com/headlines...e-chick-fil-a/
>>

> I will leave that one for Sheldon.

Man, that's one good lookin' chicken sandwich! You lucky blokes!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/7/2014 8:55 PM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 07 Jul 2014 19:24:38 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 7/7/2014 6:51 PM, sf wrote:
>>> On Mon, 7 Jul 2014 22:49:22 +0100, "Ophelia"

>>> More often than not, my phone is dead by the time I'm in line. That
>>> battery is not long lived, especially when I'm referring to Out of
>>> Milk.
>>>

>> And here I thought those devices and apps were supposed to be so handy. LOL
>>
>> Jill <---sticking with her paper list

> Oh, no. The old flip phones were fine because you didn't do anything
> but talk on them. These smart phones are asked to do so much that
> their batteries die quickly.
> http://pixel.nymag.com/imgs/daily/in...60.h470.2x.jpg

Never had a flip phone. Phones with batteries and you need an app...
SORRY. I will never understand it. I take a paper list to the store.
If I miss something it won't be because a *battery* died. It's because
I forgot to write it down.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/7/2014 9:00 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2014-07-07 20:50, jmcquown wrote:
>> On 7/7/2014 8:45 PM, sf wrote:

>>> I've never seen that type of magazine in a medical or dental office.
>>> Ever.
>>>

>> What I've seen have been out of date Southern Living magazines.
>> Certainly not tabloid rags.
>>

> No People magazine? They are standard fare in hospital, doctors offices
> and dental offices. According to my wife, they are also commonly
> available in hair salons.

Since I don't tend to sit around in hospital, doctors or dental offices
(and certainly not hair salons) my answer would be NO. I don't read
People magazine. I honestly don't know who half those "people" are.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-07-07 22:34, jmcquown wrote:

>> No People magazine? They are standard fare in hospital, doctors offices
>> and dental offices. According to my wife, they are also commonly
>> available in hair salons.

> Since I don't tend to sit around in hospital, doctors or dental offices
> (and certainly not hair salons) my answer would be NO. I don't read
> People magazine. I honestly don't know who half those "people" are.

Either do I. As I said... I didn't know WTH the Kardashians or why
people cared about them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/7/2014 7:24 PM, jmcquown wrote:

> And here I thought those devices and apps were supposed to be so handy. LOL
>
> Jill <---sticking with her paper list

I keep a portable charging device in my purse for just those situations.
It has come in handy many times.

--
ღ.¸¸.œ«*¨`*œ¶
Cheryl
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/7/2014 8:21 PM, jmcquown wrote:

> I still don't understand why people are standing in line reading rag
> newspapers at the grocery store. Are the lines really that long? Is
> the wait time all that much? I don't need reading material when I'm at
> the checkout stand. Maybe I'm just odd.

We have lines long enough some times that I dread shopping. The worst
thing for my back is to be standing in one place without moving.
Incredibly painful.

--
ღ.¸¸.œ«*¨`*œ¶
Cheryl
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/7/2014 7:40 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 7/7/2014 2:27 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> Idol worship is a funny thing. There were some efforts not to renew the
>> lease on Jim Morrison's grave in Pere LaChaisse cemetery, but it was
>> eventually converted to a perpetual one. There were concerns about fans
>> loitering and graffiti and other vandalism on nearby graves. I have
>> been through that cemetery a couple times and there are always groups of
>> young people hanging around morosely. The guy died in 1971 and most of
>> those people were either very young or had not even been born then.
>>

> They must have seen the movie about The Doors. All that angst...
>
> Jill

I loved that movie. The one with Val Kilmer? What an amazing actor in
that movie.

--
ღ.¸¸.œ«*¨`*œ¶
Cheryl

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 07 Jul 2014 22:45:24 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:
snip

>Either do I. As I said... I didn't know WTH the Kardashians or why
>people cared about them.

I just got an answer to that one last week. Kardashian was one of the
attorneys for O.J. Simpson. Now, why the daughters are media
darlings, I have no idea.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 07 Jul 2014 22:34:44 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 7/7/2014 9:00 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

> >> What I've seen have been out of date Southern Living magazines.
> >> Certainly not tabloid rags.
> >>

> > No People magazine? They are standard fare in hospital, doctors offices
> > and dental offices. According to my wife, they are also commonly
> > available in hair salons.

> Since I don't tend to sit around in hospital, doctors or dental offices
> (and certainly not hair salons) my answer would be NO. I don't read
> People magazine. I honestly don't know who half those "people" are.

WTH is "Heat" magazine? Sounds like it should be guns, but he's
talking about something that has a readership of mostly women.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 07 Jul 2014 22:31:06 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> Never had a flip phone. Phones with batteries and you need an app...
> SORRY. I will never understand it. I take a paper list to the store.
> If I miss something it won't be because a *battery* died. It's because
> I forgot to write it down.

I thought we were talking about reading a book in the checkout line.
Oh, well.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 07 Jul 2014 23:07:53 -0400, Cheryl >
wrote:

> On 7/7/2014 7:24 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> >>

> > And here I thought those devices and apps were supposed to be so handy. LOL
> >
> > Jill <---sticking with her paper list

> I keep a portable charging device in my purse for just those situations.
> It has come in handy many times.

I have one, but I only bring it if I forget to recharge my phone and
it's dead or nearly dead. My purse is too small to lug that thing
around on purpose.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message

> Never had a flip phone. Phones with batteries and you need an app...
> SORRY. I will never understand it. I take a paper list to the store. If
> I miss something it won't be because a *battery* died. It's because I
> forgot to write it down.
>
> Jill

I sometimes forget the list. ;-)

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 7 Jul 2014 22:22:21 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>
> > Never had a flip phone. Phones with batteries and you need an app...
> > SORRY. I will never understand it. I take a paper list to the store. If
> > I miss something it won't be because a *battery* died. It's because I
> > forgot to write it down.
> >
> > Jill

> I sometimes forget the list. ;-)

It was pretty much a given for me because I'd often be out of the
house doing something else when I decided to stop by some store. I
like having the list on my phone app. I can add to the list from my
computer, my tablet or my phone and they all sync up - plus I have
several lists so, I know what I want to buy and where I want to buy
it.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/7/2014 11:40 PM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 07 Jul 2014 22:31:06 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> Never had a flip phone. Phones with batteries and you need an app...
>> SORRY. I will never understand it. I take a paper list to the store.
>> If I miss something it won't be because a *battery* died. It's because
>> I forgot to write it down.
>>

> I thought we were talking about reading a book in the checkout line.
> Oh, well.

I've never had to wait so long I'd be reading a book (or a checkoutstand
tabloid) in the checkout line. You brought up smartphones and the Out
of Milk app, not me.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 7 Jul 2014 22:49:22 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:

>> > Only if she buys it. Fortunately, there are decent cooking magazines
>> > to peruse while waiting in line these days.

>> If I have to wait in line, I have books on my phone and I would read on
>> of
>> those!

> More often than not, my phone is dead by the time I'm in line. That
> battery is not long lived, especially when I'm referring to Out of
> Milk.

I bought a new battery and it is much better. I was having similar problems
to you.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 7/7/2014 5:49 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> If I have to wait in line, I have books on my phone and I would read on
>> of those!
>>

> I rarely have to wait long in line. Certainly not long enough to have to
> find something to read.

Nor do I, but if I did have to 'I would' read a book.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

fireworks Sqwertz General Cooking 0 10-03-2016 04:34 PM
fireworks jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 4 09-03-2016 04:57 PM
fireworks Cheri[_3_] General Cooking 1 09-03-2016 04:47 AM
fireworks Jeßus[_53_] General Cooking 4 06-03-2016 08:29 PM
fireworks Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 0 01-03-2016 01:05 AM