Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default American foodstuffs

Grabbed this quote from Gawker, where a commenter was talking about
American food:

"She says that compared to food in Ireland (where she lives) US bread
is sweet, nothing is perishable, fresh fruit and vegetables are really
expensive, and the meat is full of water and has a weird texture."

All true.

I never understood the widespread practice of adding sugar to bread
dough, and what corporate food production has done to meat is a crime.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 23 Jun 2014 09:56:18 -0500, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
>
>> Grabbed this quote from Gawker, where a commenter was talking about
>> American food:
>>
>> "She says that compared to food in Ireland (where she lives) US bread
>> is sweet, nothing is perishable, fresh fruit and vegetables are really
>> expensive, and the meat is full of water and has a weird texture."
>>
>> All true.

> It's NOT true. She just doesn't know where to shop. You don't have
> to shop at upscale grocers to get untreated meat or get bread without
> sugar (I don't even know where to get regular bread WITH sugar). And
> I don't know what she means by "nothing is perishable".
>
> She must be shopping at Walmart. What do you expect from a nation who
> eats haggis 3 times and are always liquored up on whiskey (since we're
> carelessly stereotyping).

Haggis is Scottish not Irish.
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, June 23, 2014 7:56:18 AM UTC-7, Moe DeLoughan wrote:

> Grabbed this quote from Gawker, where a commenter was talking about
> American food:
>

> "She says that compared to food in Ireland (where she lives) US bread
> is sweet, nothing is perishable, fresh fruit and vegetables are really
> expensive, and the meat is full of water and has a weird texture."

Of course, to Irishmen, US meat seems weird. Flying Aer Lingus, I had
a beefsteak, presumably grass fed, which the most amazingly chewy bit
of beef I had ever eaten. Then there was the chicken dish that tasted
so strongly of fish that I was never quite sure what I had eaten. Turns
out that instead of feeding chickens on corn, in the British Isles they
prefer fishmeal.

And fresh fruit and vegetables in Ireland come from Spain and Israel.

But I would advise her to stop buying her groceries at Walmart.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Grabbed this quote from Gawker, where a commenter was talking about
>American food:
>
>"She says that compared to food in Ireland (where she lives) US bread
>is sweet, nothing is perishable, fresh fruit and vegetables are really
>expensive, and the meat is full of water and has a weird texture."
>
>All true.
>
>I never understood the widespread practice of adding sugar to bread
>dough, and what corporate food production has done to meat is a crime.

generalizations about the US sell almost as well as stories about sex.
I would like to know where she shopped, at what time of year and what
she looked at.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 23 Jun 2014 09:56:18 -0500, Moe DeLoughan >
> wrote:
>
>>Grabbed this quote from Gawker, where a commenter was talking about
>>American food:
>>
>>"She says that compared to food in Ireland (where she lives) US bread
>>is sweet, nothing is perishable, fresh fruit and vegetables are really
>>expensive, and the meat is full of water and has a weird texture."
>>
>>All true.
>>
>>I never understood the widespread practice of adding sugar to bread
>>dough, and what corporate food production has done to meat is a crime.

> generalizations about the US sell almost as well as stories about sex.
> I would like to know where she shopped, at what time of year and what
> she looked at.

I'd like to know how she prefers her sex.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Jun 2014 16:47:04 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> Haggis is Scottish not Irish.

Speaking of Scottish food. I've never thought twice about Scotch Eggs
because I thought the egg at the core was hard boiled, but I saw a
version on a cooking show this last weekend where he left the yolk
runny. Do you know anything about them?

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message

> generalizations about the US sell almost as well as stories about sex.
> I would like to know where she shopped, at what time of year and what
> she looked at.
> Janet US

Yes, and the generalizations are NEVER positive.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 23 Jun 2014 16:47:04 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>
>> Haggis is Scottish not Irish.

> Speaking of Scottish food. I've never thought twice about Scotch Eggs
> because I thought the egg at the core was hard boiled, but I saw a
> version on a cooking show this last weekend where he left the yolk
> runny. Do you know anything about them?

There's a recipe in the old Good Housekeeping cookbook. I tried them once,
but the eggs were hardboiled as you say. I was curious as to the runny yolk
so I found this on the net:

"Timing and precision are key. First off, you need to boil your eggs for
exactly 5 minutes, assuming they're large. They should be at room
temperature before you start, and you should let them cool afterwards. This
should result in a cooked white and a very runny yolk before you fry.

The oil you use to fry the Scotch eggs needs to be just the right
temperature - too hot and the crust will brown before the sausage is cooked,
too cool and the yolk will cook solid before the crust is browned. The oil
needs to be 350F/180C; a cube of bread should take 1 minute to completely
brown.

If the temperature is right the Scotch egg should take about 5 minutes to
brown evenly, and you should have properly-cooked sausage and a yolk that's
still runny"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
>
>> generalizations about the US sell almost as well as stories about sex.
>> I would like to know where she shopped, at what time of year and what
>> she looked at.
>> Janet US

> Yes, and the generalizations are NEVER positive.
>
> Cheri

rubbish. We all know that Italians are wonderful people.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> "sf" > wrote in message
>> On Mon, 23 Jun 2014 16:47:04 +0100, "Ophelia"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Haggis is Scottish not Irish.

>> Speaking of Scottish food. I've never thought twice about Scotch Eggs
>> because I thought the egg at the core was hard boiled, but I saw a
>> version on a cooking show this last weekend where he left the yolk
>> runny. Do you know anything about them?

No and I wouldn't fancy them if I did They are not a favourite of mine
however they are cooked)

> There's a recipe in the old Good Housekeeping cookbook. I tried them once,
> but the eggs were hardboiled as you say. I was curious as to the runny
> yolk so I found this on the net:
>

> "Timing and precision are key. First off, you need to boil your eggs for
> exactly 5 minutes, assuming they're large. They should be at room
> temperature before you start, and you should let them cool afterwards.
> This should result in a cooked white and a very runny yolk before you fry.
>
> The oil you use to fry the Scotch eggs needs to be just the right
> temperature - too hot and the crust will brown before the sausage is
> cooked, too cool and the yolk will cook solid before the crust is browned.
> The oil needs to be 350F/180C; a cube of bread should take 1 minute to
> completely brown.
>
> If the temperature is right the Scotch egg should take about 5 minutes to
> brown evenly, and you should have properly-cooked sausage and a yolk
> that's still runny"

Do you like the idea? Will you try it?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Jun 2014 10:43:56 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Mon, 23 Jun 2014 16:47:04 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> Haggis is Scottish not Irish.

> > Speaking of Scottish food. I've never thought twice about Scotch Eggs
> > because I thought the egg at the core was hard boiled, but I saw a
> > version on a cooking show this last weekend where he left the yolk
> > runny. Do you know anything about them?

> There's a recipe in the old Good Housekeeping cookbook. I tried them once,
> but the eggs were hardboiled as you say. I was curious as to the runny yolk
> so I found this on the net:
>

> "Timing and precision are key. First off, you need to boil your eggs for
> exactly 5 minutes, assuming they're large. They should be at room
> temperature before you start, and you should let them cool afterwards. This
> should result in a cooked white and a very runny yolk before you fry.
>
> The oil you use to fry the Scotch eggs needs to be just the right
> temperature - too hot and the crust will brown before the sausage is cooked,
> too cool and the yolk will cook solid before the crust is browned. The oil
> needs to be 350F/180C; a cube of bread should take 1 minute to completely
> brown.
>
> If the temperature is right the Scotch egg should take about 5 minutes to
> brown evenly, and you should have properly-cooked sausage and a yolk that's
> still runny"

Thanks! That explains what I saw. the plated dish looked pretty good
to me. The other type just strikes me as being over cooked. I was
thinking it would be fun to serve at brunch in a shredded potato
basket... and it would be better as a restaurant dish because I don't
deep fry.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/23/2014 10:32 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Jun 2014 09:56:18 -0500, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
>
>> Grabbed this quote from Gawker, where a commenter was talking about
>> American food:
>>
>> "She says that compared to food in Ireland (where she lives) US bread
>> is sweet, nothing is perishable, fresh fruit and vegetables are really
>> expensive, and the meat is full of water and has a weird texture."
>>
>> All true.

> It's NOT true. She just doesn't know where to shop. You don't have
> to shop at upscale grocers to get untreated meat or get bread without
> sugar (I don't even know where to get regular bread WITH sugar). And
> I don't know what she means by "nothing is perishable".
>
> She must be shopping at Walmart. What do you expect from a nation who
> eats haggis 3 times and are always liquored up on whiskey (since we're
> carelessly stereotyping).
>
> -sw

The Scotts eat haggis. I don't believe the Irish do.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Jun 2014 09:56:18 -0500, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
>
> > Grabbed this quote from Gawker, where a commenter was talking about
> > American food:
> >
> > "She says that compared to food in Ireland (where she lives) US bread
> > is sweet, nothing is perishable, fresh fruit and vegetables are really
> > expensive, and the meat is full of water and has a weird texture."
> >
> > All true.

> It's NOT true. She just doesn't know where to shop. You don't have
> to shop at upscale grocers to get untreated meat or get bread without
> sugar (I don't even know where to get regular bread WITH sugar). And
> I don't know what she means by "nothing is perishable".
>
> She must be shopping at Walmart. What do you expect from a nation who
> eats haggis 3 times and are always liquored up on whiskey (since we're
> carelessly stereotyping).
>
> -sw

Bingo!

It's very easy to find non "enhanced" meats, reasonably priced fresh
vegetables and high quality breads. Certainly we have access to a lot of
non-perishable foodstuffs, but all the normal fresh stuff is quite
perishable.

Mostly folks in Europe and elsewhere have a difficult time grasping just
how large and diverse the US is. If they think about applying a
generalization to the whole of Europe they might start to understand how
silly it is to generalize about the US. Each US state is more comparable
to an entire European country and there are 50 US states and a handfull
of territories that are all notably different from each other.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/23/2014 10:56 AM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
> Grabbed this quote from Gawker, where a commenter was talking about
> American food:
>
> "She says that compared to food in Ireland (where she lives) US bread is
> sweet, nothing is perishable, fresh fruit and vegetables are really
> expensive, and the meat is full of water and has a weird texture."
>
> All true.
>
> I never understood the widespread practice of adding sugar to bread
> dough, and what corporate food production has done to meat is a crime.

Sad that she never got to eat real food while visiting. There is crap
available but so is real food.

The bread I buy has no sugar and no preservatives. Some meat is
injected, but good meat is readily available.

Fresh fruit and veggies are not expensive in season. It is expensive
when we want peaches in January that has been flown in from South
America. Most of that stuff has poor taste adn texture too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/23/2014 2:36 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 6/23/2014 10:56 AM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
>> Grabbed this quote from Gawker, where a commenter was talking about
>> American food:
>>
>> "She says that compared to food in Ireland (where she lives) US bread is
>> sweet, nothing is perishable, fresh fruit and vegetables are really
>> expensive, and the meat is full of water and has a weird texture."
>>
>> All true.
>>
>> I never understood the widespread practice of adding sugar to bread
>> dough, and what corporate food production has done to meat is a crime.

> Sad that she never got to eat real food while visiting. There is crap
> available but so is real food.
>
> The bread I buy has no sugar and no preservatives. Some meat is
> injected, but good meat is readily available.
>
> Fresh fruit and veggies are not expensive in season. It is expensive
> when we want peaches in January that has been flown in from South
> America. Most of that stuff has poor taste adn texture too.

She could have found some wonderful foods to talk about, but sadly, bad
news sells.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, June 23, 2014 11:57:02 AM UTC-7, Pete C. wrote:

> Mostly folks in Europe and elsewhere have a difficult time grasping just
> how large and diverse the US is. If they think about applying a
> generalization to the whole of Europe they might start to understand how
> silly it is to generalize about the US. Each US state is more comparable
> to an entire European country and there are 50 US states and a handfull
> of territories that are all notably different from each other.

Yes, the United Kingdom covers exactly as much of the Earth as does the
state of Michigan. Oregon is slightly larger than the UK.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/23/2014 1:13 PM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Jun 2014 16:47:04 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>
>> Haggis is Scottish not Irish.

> Speaking of Scottish food. I've never thought twice about Scotch Eggs
> because I thought the egg at the core was hard boiled, but I saw a
> version on a cooking show this last weekend where he left the yolk
> runny. Do you know anything about them?

I'd always had a *hard-boiled egg* in Scotch eggs and the same is true
for the Indian version, Nargisi Kofta.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> On 6/23/2014 1:13 PM, sf wrote:
>> On Mon, 23 Jun 2014 16:47:04 +0100, "Ophelia"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Haggis is Scottish not Irish.

>> Speaking of Scottish food. I've never thought twice about Scotch Eggs
>> because I thought the egg at the core was hard boiled, but I saw a
>> version on a cooking show this last weekend where he left the yolk
>> runny. Do you know anything about them?
>>

> I'd always had a *hard-boiled egg* in Scotch eggs and the same is true for
> the Indian version, Nargisi Kofta.

Yes. I like the components but not necessarily together and cold
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Moe DeLoughan" > wrote in message
> Grabbed this quote from Gawker, where a commenter was talking about
> American food:
>
> "She says that compared to food in Ireland (where she lives) US bread is
> sweet, nothing is perishable, fresh fruit and vegetables are really
> expensive, and the meat is full of water and has a weird texture."
>
> All true.

Nonsense! Some fruits and vegetables are expensive. Depends on where you
live and what you buy.

You can get organic, grass fed meat here and it's not full of wahter.

And not all bread is sweet.

> I never understood the widespread practice of adding sugar to bread dough,
> and what corporate food production has done to meat is a crime.

I add sugar when I make bread from scratch but it's a very tiny amount. I
always read that it was to help the yeast along. The bread I make toast with
has honey instead of sugar. It does taste sweet. But I don't think most
bread tastes sweet,

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 23 Jun 2014 09:56:18 -0500, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
>
>> Grabbed this quote from Gawker, where a commenter was talking about
>> American food:
>>
>> "She says that compared to food in Ireland (where she lives) US bread
>> is sweet, nothing is perishable, fresh fruit and vegetables are really
>> expensive, and the meat is full of water and has a weird texture."
>>
>> All true.

> It's NOT true. She just doesn't know where to shop. You don't have
> to shop at upscale grocers to get untreated meat or get bread without
> sugar (I don't even know where to get regular bread WITH sugar). And
> I don't know what she means by "nothing is perishable".
>
> She must be shopping at Walmart. What do you expect from a nation who
> eats haggis 3 times and are always liquored up on whiskey (since we're
> carelessly stereotyping).

My thought was Walmart too. Okay for cereal or soda pop but not okay for
fresh meat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> On Mon, 23 Jun 2014 09:56:18 -0500, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
>>
>>> Grabbed this quote from Gawker, where a commenter was talking about
>>> American food:
>>>
>>> "She says that compared to food in Ireland (where she lives) US bread
>>> is sweet, nothing is perishable, fresh fruit and vegetables are really
>>> expensive, and the meat is full of water and has a weird texture."
>>>
>>> All true.

>> It's NOT true. She just doesn't know where to shop. You don't have
>> to shop at upscale grocers to get untreated meat or get bread without
>> sugar (I don't even know where to get regular bread WITH sugar). And
>> I don't know what she means by "nothing is perishable".
>>
>> She must be shopping at Walmart. What do you expect from a nation who
>> eats haggis 3 times and are always liquored up on whiskey (since we're
>> carelessly stereotyping).

> Haggis is Scottish not Irish.

Right. Potatoes are Irish. Them Irish do nothing but fight and eat
potatoes. How's that for a stereotype?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pete C." > wrote in message
om...

> Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 23 Jun 2014 09:56:18 -0500, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
>>
>> > Grabbed this quote from Gawker, where a commenter was talking about
>> > American food:
>> >
>> > "She says that compared to food in Ireland (where she lives) US bread
>> > is sweet, nothing is perishable, fresh fruit and vegetables are really
>> > expensive, and the meat is full of water and has a weird texture."
>> >
>> > All true.

>> It's NOT true. She just doesn't know where to shop. You don't have
>> to shop at upscale grocers to get untreated meat or get bread without
>> sugar (I don't even know where to get regular bread WITH sugar). And
>> I don't know what she means by "nothing is perishable".
>>
>> She must be shopping at Walmart. What do you expect from a nation who
>> eats haggis 3 times and are always liquored up on whiskey (since we're
>> carelessly stereotyping).
>>
>> -sw

> Bingo!
>
> It's very easy to find non "enhanced" meats, reasonably priced fresh
> vegetables and high quality breads. Certainly we have access to a lot of
> non-perishable foodstuffs, but all the normal fresh stuff is quite
> perishable.
>
> Mostly folks in Europe and elsewhere have a difficult time grasping just
> how large and diverse the US is. If they think about applying a
> generalization to the whole of Europe they might start to understand how
> silly it is to generalize about the US. Each US state is more comparable
> to an entire European country and there are 50 US states and a handfull
> of territories that are all notably different from each other.

Yep. And each part of the country has foods that are common there but less
common elsewhere. Like that soup that I ate in South Dakota...or was it
North Dakota? I had never heard of it and when I asked what was in it, the
waitress looked at me like I had two heads. It was a potato dumpling soup
that is dead common there but AFAIK never served in restaurants anywhere
else. Might be made at home if the person was familiar with it though.

Or the guy in TX who was talking about Cicis. I didn't know what Cicis was
and he replied that he thought they were everywhere. Nope. Pizza place. I
have since seen ads on TV for them but we still don't have them.

If you were to order nachos on Cape Cod, you'd get them all covered with
lettuce. So if this was your first time eating them, you might think this
is typical Nope. Never seen the lettuce anywhere else but Cape Cod.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote:
> "Pete C." > wrote in message
> om...
>>
>> Sqwertz wrote:

>>> It's NOT true. She just doesn't know where to shop. You don't have
>>> to shop at upscale grocers to get untreated meat or get bread without
>>> sugar (I don't even know where to get regular bread WITH sugar). And
>>> I don't know what she means by "nothing is perishable".
>>>
>>> She must be shopping at Walmart. What do you expect from a nation who
>>> eats haggis 3 times and are always liquored up on whiskey (since we're
>>> carelessly stereotyping).
>>>
>>> -sw

>> Bingo!
>>
>> It's very easy to find non "enhanced" meats, reasonably priced fresh
>> vegetables and high quality breads. Certainly we have access to a lot of
>> non-perishable foodstuffs, but all the normal fresh stuff is quite
>> perishable.
>>
>> Mostly folks in Europe and elsewhere have a difficult time grasping just
>> how large and diverse the US is. If they think about applying a
>> generalization to the whole of Europe they might start to understand how
>> silly it is to generalize about the US. Each US state is more comparable
>> to an entire European country and there are 50 US states and a handfull
>> of territories that are all notably different from each other.

> Yep. And each part of the country has foods that are common there but
> less common elsewhere. Like that soup that I ate in South Dakota...or
> was it North Dakota? I had never heard of it and when I asked what was
> in it, the waitress looked at me like I had two heads. It was a potato
> dumpling soup that is dead common there but AFAIK never served in
> restaurants anywhere else. Might be made at home if the person was
> familiar with it though.
>
> Or the guy in TX who was talking about Cicis. I didn't know what Cicis
> was and he replied that he thought they were everywhere. Nope. Pizza
> place. I have since seen ads on TV for them but we still don't have them.
>
> If you were to order nachos on Cape Cod, you'd get them all covered with
> lettuce. So if this was your first time eating them, you might think
> this is typical Nope. Never seen the lettuce anywhere else but Cape Cod.

Restaurant nachos in the Midwest are also commonly served with shredded
lettuce on top. It's not unique to Cape Cod.
--
jinx the minx
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ema Nymton" > wrote in message
> On 6/23/2014 2:36 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On 6/23/2014 10:56 AM, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
>>> Grabbed this quote from Gawker, where a commenter was talking about
>>> American food:
>>>
>>> "She says that compared to food in Ireland (where she lives) US bread is
>>> sweet, nothing is perishable, fresh fruit and vegetables are really
>>> expensive, and the meat is full of water and has a weird texture."
>>>
>>> All true.
>>>
>>> I never understood the widespread practice of adding sugar to bread
>>> dough, and what corporate food production has done to meat is a crime.

>> Sad that she never got to eat real food while visiting. There is crap
>> available but so is real food.
>>
>> The bread I buy has no sugar and no preservatives. Some meat is
>> injected, but good meat is readily available.
>>
>> Fresh fruit and veggies are not expensive in season. It is expensive
>> when we want peaches in January that has been flown in from South
>> America. Most of that stuff has poor taste adn texture too.

> She could have found some wonderful foods to talk about, but sadly, bad
> news sells.

I read that book "Knickerbocker Glory Years" where the author poked fun at
food in the UK and made it sound hilariously horrible! Of course I know
that all food in the UK isn't like what he mentioned in the book and he went
out of his way to find unusually flavored frozen foods, candies, etc. I
thought it was a very good book but I didn't come away from reading it
thinking that all food in the UK was horrid. It did seem that they have a
ton of prepared foods that we don't have here but then...

We probably have a lot of prepared foods here that I pay no mind to. I do
buy some prepared foods. But unless it is something that looks fairly plain
like just cooked meat, I tend to skip right over it. And I don't often look
at frozen foods. Once in a while I will buy something but I find that most
of the meals and side dishes are loaded with stuff that I wouldn't want to
eat. But I do go through and look once in a while because there might be
some clearance item or new item of interest.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "Ophelia" > wrote in message

> >> It's NOT true. She just doesn't know where to shop. You don't have
> >> to shop at upscale grocers to get untreated meat or get bread without
> >> sugar (I don't even know where to get regular bread WITH sugar). And
> >> I don't know what she means by "nothing is perishable".
> >>
> >> She must be shopping at Walmart. What do you expect from a nation who
> >> eats haggis 3 times and are always liquored up on whiskey (since we're
> >> carelessly stereotyping).

> > Haggis is Scottish not Irish.

> Right. Potatoes are Irish. Them Irish do nothing but fight and eat
> potatoes. How's that for a stereotype?

You forgot drink.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/23/2014 7:20 PM, Pete C. wrote:

> Julie Bove wrote:

>>> Haggis is Scottish not Irish.

>> Right. Potatoes are Irish. Them Irish do nothing but fight and eat
>> potatoes. How's that for a stereotype?

> You forgot drink.

Now vodka can be made from potatoes and I wonder if Irish Poteen was? Or
did the news never get to them?

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Jun 2014 19:30:51 -0400, James Silverton
> wrote:

> Now vodka can be made from potatoes and I wonder if Irish Poteen was? Or
> did the news never get to them?

How did you know about Poitín? I thought you were talking about
Poutine until I googled.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pete C." > wrote in message
om...

> Julie Bove wrote:

>> > Haggis is Scottish not Irish.

>> Right. Potatoes are Irish. Them Irish do nothing but fight and eat
>> potatoes. How's that for a stereotype?

> You forgot drink.

Yeah but seeing as how I'm part Irish, well... You do forget things when
you drink. Right?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jinx the minx" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>> "Pete C." > wrote in message
>> om...

>>> Bingo!
>>>
>>> It's very easy to find non "enhanced" meats, reasonably priced fresh
>>> vegetables and high quality breads. Certainly we have access to a lot of
>>> non-perishable foodstuffs, but all the normal fresh stuff is quite
>>> perishable.
>>>
>>> Mostly folks in Europe and elsewhere have a difficult time grasping just
>>> how large and diverse the US is. If they think about applying a
>>> generalization to the whole of Europe they might start to understand how
>>> silly it is to generalize about the US. Each US state is more comparable
>>> to an entire European country and there are 50 US states and a handfull
>>> of territories that are all notably different from each other.

>> Yep. And each part of the country has foods that are common there but
>> less common elsewhere. Like that soup that I ate in South Dakota...or
>> was it North Dakota? I had never heard of it and when I asked what was
>> in it, the waitress looked at me like I had two heads. It was a potato
>> dumpling soup that is dead common there but AFAIK never served in
>> restaurants anywhere else. Might be made at home if the person was
>> familiar with it though.
>>
>> Or the guy in TX who was talking about Cicis. I didn't know what Cicis
>> was and he replied that he thought they were everywhere. Nope. Pizza
>> place. I have since seen ads on TV for them but we still don't have
>> them.
>>
>> If you were to order nachos on Cape Cod, you'd get them all covered with
>> lettuce. So if this was your first time eating them, you might think
>> this is typical Nope. Never seen the lettuce anywhere else but Cape
>> Cod.

> Restaurant nachos in the Midwest are also commonly served with shredded
> lettuce on top. It's not unique to Cape Cod.

Really? We didn't have nachos yet when I lived there. Okay. I stand
corrected. But you won't find lettuce on them here.

My bro and SIL did order taquitos this weekend and they came served on a
weird bed of salad. Huge pile it of. Shredded lettuce and finely chopped
tomatoes. That part wasn't listed on the menu. I could see how it elevated
the taquitos on one end, perhaps making for a better presentation but
then... It's never a good idea to put hot fried food on lettuce. Only
wilts it.

Bob's Burger and Brew serves their Joe Joes on and fries on large lettuce
leaves. I always immediately pull those off of the plate. The lettuce goes
soggy and any of the potatoes that touched it go soggy too. Makes no sense
to me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/23/2014 6:43 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> Or the guy in TX who was talking about Cicis. I didn't know what Cicis
> was and he replied that he thought they were everywhere. Nope. Pizza
> place. I have since seen ads on TV for them but we still don't have them.

You're not missing anything at CiCi's. We have them here and I've only
eaten there once, but that was enough.

--
ღ.¸¸.œ«*¨`*œ¶
Cheryl
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/23/2014 7:40 PM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Jun 2014 19:30:51 -0400, James Silverton
> > wrote:
>
>> Now vodka can be made from potatoes and I wonder if Irish Poteen was? Or
>> did the news never get to them?

> How did you know about Poitín? I thought you were talking about
> Poutine until I googled.

"Poitin" is perhaps a more authentic Irish spelling but "Poteen" is used
too (same effect :-)

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Jun 2014 22:51:33 +0000 (UTC), jinx the minx
> wrote:

>"Julie Bove" > wrote:
>> "Pete C." > wrote in message
>> om...

>>> Bingo!
>>>
>>> It's very easy to find non "enhanced" meats, reasonably priced fresh
>>> vegetables and high quality breads. Certainly we have access to a lot of
>>> non-perishable foodstuffs, but all the normal fresh stuff is quite
>>> perishable.
>>>
>>> Mostly folks in Europe and elsewhere have a difficult time grasping just
>>> how large and diverse the US is. If they think about applying a
>>> generalization to the whole of Europe they might start to understand how
>>> silly it is to generalize about the US. Each US state is more comparable
>>> to an entire European country and there are 50 US states and a handfull
>>> of territories that are all notably different from each other.

>> Yep. And each part of the country has foods that are common there but
>> less common elsewhere. Like that soup that I ate in South Dakota...or
>> was it North Dakota? I had never heard of it and when I asked what was
>> in it, the waitress looked at me like I had two heads. It was a potato
>> dumpling soup that is dead common there but AFAIK never served in
>> restaurants anywhere else. Might be made at home if the person was
>> familiar with it though.
>>
>> Or the guy in TX who was talking about Cicis. I didn't know what Cicis
>> was and he replied that he thought they were everywhere. Nope. Pizza
>> place. I have since seen ads on TV for them but we still don't have them.
>>
>> If you were to order nachos on Cape Cod, you'd get them all covered with
>> lettuce. So if this was your first time eating them, you might think
>> this is typical Nope. Never seen the lettuce anywhere else but Cape Cod.

>Restaurant nachos in the Midwest are also commonly served with shredded
>lettuce on top. It's not unique to Cape Cod.

also here in the West.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
eb.com...
> On 6/23/2014 6:43 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> Or the guy in TX who was talking about Cicis. I didn't know what Cicis
>> was and he replied that he thought they were everywhere. Nope. Pizza
>> place. I have since seen ads on TV for them but we still don't have
>> them.

> You're not missing anything at CiCi's. We have them here and I've only
> eaten there once, but that was enough.

I don't eat pizza now unless I make it. I suppose I would if I could find
some with no egg or dairy but I can only find that frozen and I'm not big
into pizza anyway. From what I have heard, the only thing CiCi's has going
for them is cheap.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 23 Jun 2014 22:51:33 +0000 (UTC), jinx the minx
> > wrote:
>
>>"Julie Bove" > wrote:
>>> "Pete C." > wrote in message
>>> om...

>>> Yep. And each part of the country has foods that are common there but
>>> less common elsewhere. Like that soup that I ate in South Dakota...or
>>> was it North Dakota? I had never heard of it and when I asked what was
>>> in it, the waitress looked at me like I had two heads. It was a potato
>>> dumpling soup that is dead common there but AFAIK never served in
>>> restaurants anywhere else. Might be made at home if the person was
>>> familiar with it though.
>>>
>>> Or the guy in TX who was talking about Cicis. I didn't know what Cicis
>>> was and he replied that he thought they were everywhere. Nope. Pizza
>>> place. I have since seen ads on TV for them but we still don't have
>>> them.
>>>
>>> If you were to order nachos on Cape Cod, you'd get them all covered with
>>> lettuce. So if this was your first time eating them, you might think
>>> this is typical Nope. Never seen the lettuce anywhere else but Cape
>>> Cod.

>>Restaurant nachos in the Midwest are also commonly served with shredded
>>lettuce on top. It's not unique to Cape Cod.

> also here in the West.
> Janet US

What? Where in the West? I've never gotten them like that in WA, OR or CA.
Not ID either.