Old 01-06-2014, 05:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default OT The one-legged cook is now a one-handed cook

Just as I was enjoying the freedom of being able to get around and
drive, I came down with shingles. It's on my left arm and hand.

I did have the vaccine, but the doctor thinks that the cancer messed up
my immune system.

We are still raising the kittens, bless their little, noisy hearts.
--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

---

Old 01-06-2014, 05:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-06-01 12:07 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
Just as I was enjoying the freedom of being able to get around and
drive, I came down with shingles. It's on my left arm and hand.

I did have the vaccine, but the doctor thinks that the cancer messed up
my immune system.

We are still raising the kittens, bless their little, noisy hearts.

Bummer. I thought shingles usually manifested itself on the abdomen.
That is where it appeared on everyone I know who had it. They all
reported it that it is very expensive.
I have been told that the shot to prevent it is quite expensive, but
nowhere near 100% effective.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/1/2014 12:07 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
Just as I was enjoying the freedom of being able to get around and
drive, I came down with shingles. It's on my left arm and hand.

I did have the vaccine, but the doctor thinks that the cancer messed up
my immune system.

We are still raising the kittens, bless their little, noisy hearts.

Wow, you've really had some bad luck! I never really heard about
shingles until recently.

Take care of yourself and those wee kitties. Hopefully we'll get to see
some pics of the little cuties soon.

Jill
Old 01-06-2014, 05:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Wilder" wrote in message
eb.com...
Just as I was enjoying the freedom of being able to get around and drive,
I came down with shingles. It's on my left arm and hand.

Commiserations I've never heard of it on the arm and hand before. I get
it in my side.

I did have the vaccine, but the doctor thinks that the cancer messed up my
immune system.

We are still raising the kittens, bless their little, noisy hearts.
--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

---
protection is active.

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 01-06-2014, 06:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 01 Jun 2014 12:14:45 -0400, Dave Smith
wrote:

Bummer. I thought shingles usually manifested itself on the abdomen.
That is where it appeared on everyone I know who had it. They all
reported it that it is very expensive.
I have been told that the shot to prevent it is quite expensive, but
nowhere near 100% effective.

You can get it any place you have skin. Any place.
The vaccine is about $100 depending on insurance coverage, if any.
Having seen a few people with shingles, I strongly advise getting it.
The people I know would pay 10X that not to have the shingles.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-06-01 12:07 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
Just as I was enjoying the freedom of being able to get around and
drive, I came down with shingles. It's on my left arm and hand.

I did have the vaccine, but the doctor thinks that the cancer messed up
my immune system.

We are still raising the kittens, bless their little, noisy hearts.

Bummer. I thought shingles usually manifested itself on the abdomen.
That is where it appeared on everyone I know who had it. They all
reported it that it is very expensive.
I have been told that the shot to prevent it is quite expensive, but
nowhere near 100% effective.

I asked my doctor about the shingles shot for myself and DH, and she
told me it wasn't effective at all, and in fact could CAUSE shingles!

What you have to do is immediately go to the ER if you have shingles
symptom - pain that is on one side of the body only. It can manifest
on the abdomen, arm, or face.

Doris
Old 01-06-2014, 07:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/1/2014 11:07 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:
Just as I was enjoying the freedom of being able to get around and
drive, I came down with shingles. It's on my left arm and hand.

I did have the vaccine, but the doctor thinks that the cancer messed up
my immune system.

We are still raising the kittens, bless their little, noisy hearts.

Well doggoneit, Janet. With all the luck you've had recently, it might
be a good idea to buy a lottery ticket vbg! You'd be bound to win I
bet, knock on wood Hopefully, the shingles will resolve itself quickly!

Sky
Old 01-06-2014, 07:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

On 2014-06-01 12:07 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
[...]

My doc gave me antihistamines for mine and it works well.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 01-06-2014, 08:02 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 1, 2014 12:07:10 PM UTC-4, Janet Wilder wrote:
Just as I was enjoying the freedom of being able to get around and

drive, I came down with shingles. It's on my left arm and hand.

I did have the vaccine, but the doctor thinks that the cancer messed up

my immune system.

We are still raising the kittens, bless their little, noisy hearts.

You have a good strong positive attitude. That's enough of the complements. Since you're a Texan, I'm accusing you of being a German.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:04 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh, no. Take care of yourself.

Tara

Old 01-06-2014, 08:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

At first, going by your subject line, I thought you must be a habitual thief in the land of the devout muslims.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-06-01 12:07 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
Just as I was enjoying the freedom of being able to get around and
drive, I came down with shingles. It's on my left arm and hand.

I did have the vaccine, but the doctor thinks that the cancer messed up
my immune system.

We are still raising the kittens, bless their little, noisy hearts.

Bummer. I thought shingles usually manifested itself on the abdomen. That
is where it appeared on everyone I know who had it. They all reported it
that it is very expensive.
I have been told that the shot to prevent it is quite expensive, but
nowhere near 100% effective.

Here, at Walgreen's it cost me 160.00 for the shingles shot. I do know a
couple of people that have had the shot and still got shingles. Very painful
theirs were on the back and the neck.

Cheri

Old 01-06-2014, 08:34 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

On 2014-06-01 12:07 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
[...]

I don't believe what your doctor said about the shot at all, personally...I
would get it.

Cheri

Old 01-06-2014, 08:36 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in message
On 6/1/2014 12:07 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
Just as I was enjoying the freedom of being able to get around and
drive, I came down with shingles. It's on my left arm and hand.

I did have the vaccine, but the doctor thinks that the cancer messed up
my immune system.

We are still raising the kittens, bless their little, noisy hearts.

Wow, you've really had some bad luck! I never really heard about shingles
until recently.

Take care of yourself and those wee kitties. Hopefully we'll get to see
some pics of the little cuties soon.

Jill

If you've ever had chicken pox, you should have it, but I will say when I
was getting mine a younger man was asking about it, and the pharmacist told
him they couldn't give it to anyone under 60 at this time. Dunno why, unless
they were short of the vaccine. It cost 160.00 which insurance or medicare
didn't pay, though I believe some do.

Cheri

Old 01-06-2014, 09:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 1 Jun 2014 12:34:11 -0700, "Cheri"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

On 2014-06-01 12:07 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
[...]

I got the ingles vaccine, only suprise was I found out doctors don't
give it, the shingles vaccine is given by your local pharmacy... your
doc gives you a Rx and you make an appointment with your pharmacy.