Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default OT The one-legged cook is now a one-handed cook

Just as I was enjoying the freedom of being able to get around and
drive, I came down with shingles. It's on my left arm and hand.

I did have the vaccine, but the doctor thinks that the cancer messed up
my immune system.

We are still raising the kittens, bless their little, noisy hearts.
--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-06-01 12:07 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> Just as I was enjoying the freedom of being able to get around and
> drive, I came down with shingles. It's on my left arm and hand.
>
> I did have the vaccine, but the doctor thinks that the cancer messed up
> my immune system.
>
> We are still raising the kittens, bless their little, noisy hearts.

Bummer. I thought shingles usually manifested itself on the abdomen.
That is where it appeared on everyone I know who had it. They all
reported it that it is very expensive.
I have been told that the shot to prevent it is quite expensive, but
nowhere near 100% effective.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/1/2014 12:07 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> Just as I was enjoying the freedom of being able to get around and
> drive, I came down with shingles. It's on my left arm and hand.
>
> I did have the vaccine, but the doctor thinks that the cancer messed up
> my immune system.
>
> We are still raising the kittens, bless their little, noisy hearts.

Wow, you've really had some bad luck! I never really heard about
shingles until recently.

Take care of yourself and those wee kitties. Hopefully we'll get to see
some pics of the little cuties soon.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
eb.com...
> Just as I was enjoying the freedom of being able to get around and drive,
> I came down with shingles. It's on my left arm and hand.

Commiserations I've never heard of it on the arm and hand before. I get
it in my side.

> I did have the vaccine, but the doctor thinks that the cancer messed up my
> immune system.
>
> We are still raising the kittens, bless their little, noisy hearts.
> --
> Janet Wilder
> Way-the-heck-south Texas
> Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
>
> ---
> protection is active.

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 01 Jun 2014 12:14:45 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>Bummer. I thought shingles usually manifested itself on the abdomen.
>That is where it appeared on everyone I know who had it. They all
>reported it that it is very expensive.
>I have been told that the shot to prevent it is quite expensive, but
>nowhere near 100% effective.

You can get it any place you have skin. Any place.
The vaccine is about $100 depending on insurance coverage, if any.
Having seen a few people with shingles, I strongly advise getting it.
The people I know would pay 10X that not to have the shingles.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 01 Jun 2014 12:14:45 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2014-06-01 12:07 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>> Just as I was enjoying the freedom of being able to get around and
>> drive, I came down with shingles. It's on my left arm and hand.
>>
>> I did have the vaccine, but the doctor thinks that the cancer messed up
>> my immune system.
>>
>> We are still raising the kittens, bless their little, noisy hearts.

>Bummer. I thought shingles usually manifested itself on the abdomen.
>That is where it appeared on everyone I know who had it. They all
>reported it that it is very expensive.
>I have been told that the shot to prevent it is quite expensive, but
>nowhere near 100% effective.

I asked my doctor about the shingles shot for myself and DH, and she
told me it wasn't effective at all, and in fact could CAUSE shingles!

What you have to do is immediately go to the ER if you have shingles
symptom - pain that is on one side of the body only. It can manifest
on the abdomen, arm, or face.

Doris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/1/2014 11:07 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> Just as I was enjoying the freedom of being able to get around and
> drive, I came down with shingles. It's on my left arm and hand.
>
> I did have the vaccine, but the doctor thinks that the cancer messed up
> my immune system.
>
> We are still raising the kittens, bless their little, noisy hearts.

Well doggoneit, Janet. With all the luck you've had recently, it might
be a good idea to buy a lottery ticket <vbg>! You'd be bound to win I
bet, knock on wood Hopefully, the shingles will resolve itself quickly!

Sky
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doris Night" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 01 Jun 2014 12:14:45 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>>On 2014-06-01 12:07 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>>> Just as I was enjoying the freedom of being able to get around and
>>> drive, I came down with shingles. It's on my left arm and hand.
>>>
>>> I did have the vaccine, but the doctor thinks that the cancer messed up
>>> my immune system.
>>>
>>> We are still raising the kittens, bless their little, noisy hearts.

>>Bummer. I thought shingles usually manifested itself on the abdomen.
>>That is where it appeared on everyone I know who had it. They all
>>reported it that it is very expensive.
>>I have been told that the shot to prevent it is quite expensive, but
>>nowhere near 100% effective.

> I asked my doctor about the shingles shot for myself and DH, and she
> told me it wasn't effective at all, and in fact could CAUSE shingles!
>
> What you have to do is immediately go to the ER if you have shingles
> symptom - pain that is on one side of the body only. It can manifest
> on the abdomen, arm, or face.

My doc gave me antihistamines for mine and it works well.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 1, 2014 12:07:10 PM UTC-4, Janet Wilder wrote:
> Just as I was enjoying the freedom of being able to get around and
>
> drive, I came down with shingles. It's on my left arm and hand.
>

> I did have the vaccine, but the doctor thinks that the cancer messed up
>
> my immune system.
>

> We are still raising the kittens, bless their little, noisy hearts.

You have a good strong positive attitude. That's enough of the complements. Since you're a Texan, I'm accusing you of being a German.

> --
>
> Janet Wilder
>
> Way-the-heck-south Texas
>
> Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
>

> ---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh, no. Take care of yourself.

Tara

Posted to rec.food.cooking

At first, going by your subject line, I thought you must be a habitual thief in the land of the devout muslims.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2014-06-01 12:07 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>> Just as I was enjoying the freedom of being able to get around and
>> drive, I came down with shingles. It's on my left arm and hand.
>>
>> I did have the vaccine, but the doctor thinks that the cancer messed up
>> my immune system.
>>
>> We are still raising the kittens, bless their little, noisy hearts.

> Bummer. I thought shingles usually manifested itself on the abdomen. That
> is where it appeared on everyone I know who had it. They all reported it
> that it is very expensive.
> I have been told that the shot to prevent it is quite expensive, but
> nowhere near 100% effective.

Here, at Walgreen's it cost me 160.00 for the shingles shot. I do know a
couple of people that have had the shot and still got shingles. Very painful
theirs were on the back and the neck.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doris Night" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 01 Jun 2014 12:14:45 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>>On 2014-06-01 12:07 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>>> Just as I was enjoying the freedom of being able to get around and
>>> drive, I came down with shingles. It's on my left arm and hand.
>>>
>>> I did have the vaccine, but the doctor thinks that the cancer messed up
>>> my immune system.
>>>
>>> We are still raising the kittens, bless their little, noisy hearts.

>>Bummer. I thought shingles usually manifested itself on the abdomen.
>>That is where it appeared on everyone I know who had it. They all
>>reported it that it is very expensive.
>>I have been told that the shot to prevent it is quite expensive, but
>>nowhere near 100% effective.

> I asked my doctor about the shingles shot for myself and DH, and she
> told me it wasn't effective at all, and in fact could CAUSE shingles!
>
> What you have to do is immediately go to the ER if you have shingles
> symptom - pain that is on one side of the body only. It can manifest
> on the abdomen, arm, or face.
>
> Doris

I don't believe what your doctor said about the shot at all, personally...I
would get it.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 6/1/2014 12:07 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>> Just as I was enjoying the freedom of being able to get around and
>> drive, I came down with shingles. It's on my left arm and hand.
>>
>> I did have the vaccine, but the doctor thinks that the cancer messed up
>> my immune system.
>>
>> We are still raising the kittens, bless their little, noisy hearts.

> Wow, you've really had some bad luck! I never really heard about shingles
> until recently.
>
> Take care of yourself and those wee kitties. Hopefully we'll get to see
> some pics of the little cuties soon.
>
> Jill

If you've ever had chicken pox, you should have it, but I will say when I
was getting mine a younger man was asking about it, and the pharmacist told
him they couldn't give it to anyone under 60 at this time. Dunno why, unless
they were short of the vaccine. It cost 160.00 which insurance or medicare
didn't pay, though I believe some do.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 1 Jun 2014 12:34:11 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Doris Night" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sun, 01 Jun 2014 12:14:45 -0400, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:

>>>Bummer. I thought shingles usually manifested itself on the abdomen.
>>>That is where it appeared on everyone I know who had it. They all
>>>reported it that it is very expensive.
>>>I have been told that the shot to prevent it is quite expensive, but
>>>nowhere near 100% effective.

>> I asked my doctor about the shingles shot for myself and DH, and she
>> told me it wasn't effective at all, and in fact could CAUSE shingles!
>>
>> What you have to do is immediately go to the ER if you have shingles
>> symptom - pain that is on one side of the body only. It can manifest
>> on the abdomen, arm, or face.
>>
>> Doris

>I don't believe what your doctor said about the shot at all, personally...I
>would get it.

I got the ingles vaccine, only suprise was I found out doctors don't
give it, the shingles vaccine is given by your local pharmacy... your
doc gives you a Rx and you make an appointment with your pharmacy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 1, 2014 4:05:48 PM UTC-4, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Jun 2014 12:34:11 -0700, "Cheri" >
>
> wrote:
>

> >"Doris Night" > wrote in message

> .. .

> >> On Sun, 01 Jun 2014 12:14:45 -0400, Dave Smith

> >> I asked my doctor about the shingles shot for myself and DH, and she

> >> told me it wasn't effective at all, and in fact could CAUSE shingles!

> >> What you have to do is immediately go to the ER if you have shingles

> >> symptom - pain that is on one side of the body only. It can manifest

> >> on the abdomen, arm, or face.

> >> Doris

> >I don't believe what your doctor said about the shot at all, personally...I

> >would get it.

> I got the ingles vaccine, only suprise was I found out doctors don't
>
> give it, the shingles vaccine is given by your local pharmacy... your
>
> doc gives you a Rx and you make an appointment with your pharmacy.

You're a ****ing idiot. But that's not news to anyone.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 1, 2014 12:07:10 PM UTC-4, Janet Wilder wrote:
> Just as I was enjoying the freedom of being able to get around and
>
> drive, I came down with shingles. It's on my left arm and hand.
>

> I did have the vaccine, but the doctor thinks that the cancer messed up
>
> my immune system.
>

> We are still raising the kittens, bless their little, noisy hearts.
>
> --
>
> Janet Wilder
>
> Way-the-heck-south Texas
>
> Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
>

> ---

You suck. Big time.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/1/2014 1:56 PM, Doris Night wrote:

> I asked my doctor about the shingles shot for myself and DH, and she
> told me it wasn't effective at all, and in fact could CAUSE shingles!

I think your doctor is misinformed. Not perfect, they can lessen the
effects.

> What you have to do is immediately go to the ER if you have shingles
> symptom - pain that is on one side of the body only. It can manifest
> on the abdomen, arm, or face.
>
> Doris

What is the ER going to do? We recently had a thread here about ER and
walk in clinics that are best suited to handle thing like that. Fast
treatment helps, but it is not life threatening. Save the ER for heart
attacks and auto accidents.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/1/2014 3:36 PM, Cheri wrote:

> If you've ever had chicken pox, you should have it, but I will say when
> I was getting mine a younger man was asking about it, and the pharmacist
> told him they couldn't give it to anyone under 60 at this time. Dunno
> why, unless they were short of the vaccine. It cost 160.00 which
> insurance or medicare didn't pay, though I believe some do.
>
> Cheri

With my United Healthcare RX plan it was $90. Not sure of the age limit
as this is a Medicare supplement policy. Seems that 50 - 59 is
questionable.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/1/2014 12:52 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> eb.com...
>> Just as I was enjoying the freedom of being able to get around and
>> drive, I came down with shingles. It's on my left arm and hand.

> Commiserations I've never heard of it on the arm and hand before. I
> get it in my side.

Any place you can get chicken pox you can get shingles. That includes
private parts.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 01 Jun 2014 11:07:10 -0500, Janet Wilder >
wrote:

> Just as I was enjoying the freedom of being able to get around and
> drive, I came down with shingles. It's on my left arm and hand.
>
> I did have the vaccine, but the doctor thinks that the cancer messed up
> my immune system.
>
> We are still raising the kittens, bless their little, noisy hearts.

There are too many things that can happen in our old age. I know two
people who dated when they were young and both have MS now. What are
the odds in that and I was talking to someone I know casually
yesterday who has psoriasis now, but it was preceded by a lifetime of
eczema. I shudder for the future of my brother and daughter.
Daughter's eczema is worse than brother's, so if there's really a
connection - it will be awful when she's older, if they haven't
figured out what to do about it by that time.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 01 Jun 2014 12:14:45 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> On 2014-06-01 12:07 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> > Just as I was enjoying the freedom of being able to get around and
> > drive, I came down with shingles. It's on my left arm and hand.
> >
> > I did have the vaccine, but the doctor thinks that the cancer messed up
> > my immune system.
> >
> > We are still raising the kittens, bless their little, noisy hearts.

> Bummer. I thought shingles usually manifested itself on the abdomen.
> That is where it appeared on everyone I know who had it. They all
> reported it that it is very expensive.
> I have been told that the shot to prevent it is quite expensive, but
> nowhere near 100% effective.

My friend's daughter had it when she was around 12 and besides all the
usual places people can think of - it was in places you'd never think
about... inside her nose, under her eyelids, in her throat. Sounded
like a truly awful experience to me.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> I don't believe what your doctor said about the shot at all, personally...I
> would get it.

I got it and mine was free, thanks to Kaiser. If I get shingles,
according to what I've read here - it won't be as bad as it would have
been.

The chicken pox vaccine came out when I was as a kid. I got chicken
pox and then they vaccinated my sister for it. Her body was chicken
pox free *except* for the bottom of her feet, which were red with door
to door chicken pox. Poor kid, it must have been awful! I remember
rubbing the bottom of her feet with my knuckles because they itched so
much.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message

> There are too many things that can happen in our old age. I know two
> people who dated when they were young and both have MS now. What are
> the odds in that and I was talking to someone I know casually
> yesterday who has psoriasis now, but it was preceded by a lifetime of
> eczema. I shudder for the future of my brother and daughter.
> Daughter's eczema is worse than brother's, so if there's really a
> connection - it will be awful when she's older, if they haven't
> figured out what to do about it by that time.

I have eczema and psoriasis, both in remission now. The psoriasis was at
the worst when I lived in CA, probably because it was almost always sunny
and I was outdoors a lot. For most people, sun makes it better. For me, it
makes it worse. I took to wearing long sleeves or at least 3/4 length
sleeves because the worst spot for the psoriasis was on my elbows. As long
as I kept them moisturized and out of the sun, they were usually clear.

The biggest help though was changing my diet and eliminating all of the food
intolerances. Now I rarely have skin problems. If it does start up, it
will be the tiniest patch ever. I did have some trouble for a few years
with my face, perhaps because it is hard to protect that from the sun. But
still, the patches that I did get were tiny.

Also if you can tolerate coconut, coconut soap is great! I used to use
shower wash but am getting much better results with the coconut soap. Only
drawback to it is that the only kind I can find in the stores here is
expensive (Skin Trip) or Kirkland (not related to Costco) but the Kirkland
in particular goes to mush very quickly. You have to isolate it in the
shower so that the water doesn't accidentally hit it or you'll have no soap
left.

What I am currently using is a lavender scented one that I got from Ebay.
Years ago I got a bar that was locally made. I loved it but the store that
sold it closed and I haven't been able to locate it anywhere else.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 01 Jun 2014 12:14:45 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>> On 2014-06-01 12:07 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>> > Just as I was enjoying the freedom of being able to get around and
>> > drive, I came down with shingles. It's on my left arm and hand.
>> >
>> > I did have the vaccine, but the doctor thinks that the cancer messed up
>> > my immune system.
>> >
>> > We are still raising the kittens, bless their little, noisy hearts.

>> Bummer. I thought shingles usually manifested itself on the abdomen.
>> That is where it appeared on everyone I know who had it. They all
>> reported it that it is very expensive.
>> I have been told that the shot to prevent it is quite expensive, but
>> nowhere near 100% effective.

> My friend's daughter had it when she was around 12 and besides all the
> usual places people can think of - it was in places you'd never think
> about... inside her nose, under her eyelids, in her throat. Sounded
> like a truly awful experience to me.

The TV commercials have shown people who had it on their legs and torso. I
tried to get a shot and couldn't. They don't advise it for people under 60
because it is only good for maybe 10 years.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 1 Jun 2014 12:34:11 -0700, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>
>> I don't believe what your doctor said about the shot at all,
>> personally...I
>> would get it.

> I got it and mine was free, thanks to Kaiser. If I get shingles,
> according to what I've read here - it won't be as bad as it would have
> been.
>
> The chicken pox vaccine came out when I was as a kid. I got chicken
> pox and then they vaccinated my sister for it. Her body was chicken
> pox free *except* for the bottom of her feet, which were red with door
> to door chicken pox. Poor kid, it must have been awful! I remember
> rubbing the bottom of her feet with my knuckles because they itched so
> much.

I remember the Chicken Pox and they were no fun. My nephew also got them
and he is 26 now so I don't think there was a vaccine even then. He had
them everywhere and I do mean everywhere!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 1 Jun 2014 22:29:18 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Sun, 1 Jun 2014 12:34:11 -0700, "Cheri" >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I don't believe what your doctor said about the shot at all,
> >> personally...I would get it.

> > I got it and mine was free, thanks to Kaiser. If I get shingles,
> > according to what I've read here - it won't be as bad as it would have
> > been.
> >
> > The chicken pox vaccine came out when I was as a kid. I got chicken
> > pox and then they vaccinated my sister for it. Her body was chicken
> > pox free *except* for the bottom of her feet, which were red with door
> > to door chicken pox. Poor kid, it must have been awful! I remember
> > rubbing the bottom of her feet with my knuckles because they itched so
> > much.

> I remember the Chicken Pox and they were no fun. My nephew also got them
> and he is 26 now so I don't think there was a vaccine even then. He had
> them everywhere and I do mean everywhere!

The chicken pox vaccine was most certainly commonly available when he
was little. Sounds like his parents were stuck on stupid if they
didn't immunize him. Find out if he was given the DPT vaccine.
Whooping cough has a miserable sick time and long recovery period.
This is what it sounds like - he doesn't want to go there.
http://www.whoopingcough.net/cough-c...chwhooping.wav

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 1 Jun 2014 22:29:18 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>> "sf" > wrote in message

>> > I got it and mine was free, thanks to Kaiser. If I get shingles,
>> > according to what I've read here - it won't be as bad as it would have
>> > been.
>> >
>> > The chicken pox vaccine came out when I was as a kid. I got chicken
>> > pox and then they vaccinated my sister for it. Her body was chicken
>> > pox free *except* for the bottom of her feet, which were red with door
>> > to door chicken pox. Poor kid, it must have been awful! I remember
>> > rubbing the bottom of her feet with my knuckles because they itched so
>> > much.

>> I remember the Chicken Pox and they were no fun. My nephew also got them
>> and he is 26 now so I don't think there was a vaccine even then. He had
>> them everywhere and I do mean everywhere!

> The chicken pox vaccine was most certainly commonly available when he
> was little. Sounds like his parents were stuck on stupid if they
> didn't immunize him. Find out if he was given the DPT vaccine.
> Whooping cough has a miserable sick time and long recovery period.
> This is what it sounds like - he doesn't want to go there.
> http://www.whoopingcough.net/cough-c...chwhooping.wav

No, they're not stupid. He had all of his shots. Angela had whooping
cough. And yes she was vaccinated. The Dr. said they now know that the
shot isn't very effective.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 1 Jun 2014 22:27:45 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Sun, 01 Jun 2014 12:14:45 -0400, Dave Smith
> > > wrote:

> >> Bummer. I thought shingles usually manifested itself on the abdomen.
> >> That is where it appeared on everyone I know who had it. They all
> >> reported it that it is very expensive.
> >> I have been told that the shot to prevent it is quite expensive, but
> >> nowhere near 100% effective.

> > My friend's daughter had it when she was around 12 and besides all the
> > usual places people can think of - it was in places you'd never think
> > about... inside her nose, under her eyelids, in her throat. Sounded
> > like a truly awful experience to me.

> The TV commercials have shown people who had it on their legs and torso. I
> tried to get a shot and couldn't. They don't advise it for people under 60
> because it is only good for maybe 10 years.

The shingles vaccine is approved for use in people ages 50 to 59 years
and the CDC "recommends" it for people age 60+. So it's only good for
10 years, so what? You get a pneumonia vaccine every 5-10 years and a
tetanus booster every 10 years, don't you? How is that any different?

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 1 Jun 2014 22:24:39 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> Also if you can tolerate coconut, coconut soap is great! I used to use
> shower wash but am getting much better results with the coconut soap. Only
> drawback to it is that the only kind I can find in the stores here is
> expensive (Skin Trip) or Kirkland (not related to Costco) but the Kirkland
> in particular goes to mush very quickly. You have to isolate it in the
> shower so that the water doesn't accidentally hit it or you'll have no soap
> left.

What store are you buying the coconut soap in? I'll tell DD to look
for it.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 02 Jun 2014 00:00:01 -0700, sf > wrote:

> On Sun, 1 Jun 2014 22:24:39 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

> > Also if you can tolerate coconut, coconut soap is great! I used to use
> > shower wash but am getting much better results with the coconut soap. Only
> > drawback to it is that the only kind I can find in the stores here is
> > expensive (Skin Trip) or Kirkland (not related to Costco) but the Kirkland
> > in particular goes to mush very quickly. You have to isolate it in the
> > shower so that the water doesn't accidentally hit it or you'll have no soap
> > left.

> What store are you buying the coconut soap in? I'll tell DD to look
> for it.

I googled for images and saw Kirk's Castile soap. Is that what you're
talking about?

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 1 Jun 2014 22:27:45 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>> "sf" > wrote in message
>> > On Sun, 01 Jun 2014 12:14:45 -0400, Dave Smith

>> > My friend's daughter had it when she was around 12 and besides all the
>> > usual places people can think of - it was in places you'd never think
>> > about... inside her nose, under her eyelids, in her throat. Sounded
>> > like a truly awful experience to me.

>> The TV commercials have shown people who had it on their legs and torso.
>> tried to get a shot and couldn't. They don't advise it for people under
>> 60
>> because it is only good for maybe 10 years.

> The shingles vaccine is approved for use in people ages 50 to 59 years
> and the CDC "recommends" it for people age 60+. So it's only good for
> 10 years, so what? You get a pneumonia vaccine every 5-10 years and a
> tetanus booster every 10 years, don't you? How is that any different?

It might be approved for that age but my Dr. won't prescribe it nor did the
pharmacist recommend it for my age. They both made it sound like you could
only get the shot once.

As for the chicken pox vaccine, that didn't come out in this country until
1995.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/When_was_c...ccine_come_out

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 1 Jun 2014 22:24:39 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>> Also if you can tolerate coconut, coconut soap is great! I used to use
>> shower wash but am getting much better results with the coconut soap.
>> Only
>> drawback to it is that the only kind I can find in the stores here is
>> expensive (Skin Trip) or Kirkland (not related to Costco) but the
>> Kirkland
>> in particular goes to mush very quickly. You have to isolate it in the
>> shower so that the water doesn't accidentally hit it or you'll have no
>> soap
>> left.

> What store are you buying the coconut soap in? I'll tell DD to look
> for it.

Not any that you have. Central Market and Bartell Drugs. You can get it on
Ebay.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 02 Jun 2014 00:00:01 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 1 Jun 2014 22:24:39 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>

>> > Also if you can tolerate coconut, coconut soap is great! I used to use
>> > shower wash but am getting much better results with the coconut soap.
>> > Only
>> > drawback to it is that the only kind I can find in the stores here is
>> > expensive (Skin Trip) or Kirkland (not related to Costco) but the
>> > Kirkland
>> > in particular goes to mush very quickly. You have to isolate it in the
>> > shower so that the water doesn't accidentally hit it or you'll have no
>> > soap
>> > left.

>> What store are you buying the coconut soap in? I'll tell DD to look
>> for it.

> I googled for images and saw Kirk's Castile soap. Is that what you're
> talking about?

Sorry, that's it! Only had a little sample bar of that. It is Castile but
does have coconut in it. I think Dr. Bronners makes one like that too. I
just prefer the straight coconut kind. What I got on Ebay is Tropical
Traditions. I just placed an order straight from them for 10 bars. I got
the lavender but they have other scents and also unscented.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 2 Jun 2014 00:11:44 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> As for the chicken pox vaccine, that didn't come out in this country until
> 1995.

In that case, I'd like to know what it was they called a chicken pox
vaccine that my sister got in the '50's and my children got in the
'80s.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 2 Jun 2014 00:15:02 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Mon, 02 Jun 2014 00:00:01 -0700, sf > wrote:
> >
> >> On Sun, 1 Jun 2014 22:24:39 -0700, "Julie Bove"

> >> What store are you buying the coconut soap in? I'll tell DD to look
> >> for it.

> > I googled for images and saw Kirk's Castile soap. Is that what you're
> > talking about?

> Sorry, that's it! Only had a little sample bar of that. It is Castile but
> does have coconut in it. I think Dr. Bronners makes one like that too. I
> just prefer the straight coconut kind. What I got on Ebay is Tropical
> Traditions. I just placed an order straight from them for 10 bars. I got
> the lavender but they have other scents and also unscented.

Thanks, I'll tell her to look for Organic Virgin Coconut Oil soap.
She will need to go unscented. Is Tropical Traditions the only brand?

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 2 Jun 2014 00:12:39 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Sun, 1 Jun 2014 22:24:39 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:
> >

> >> Also if you can tolerate coconut, coconut soap is great! I used to use
> >> shower wash but am getting much better results with the coconut soap.
> >> Only
> >> drawback to it is that the only kind I can find in the stores here is
> >> expensive (Skin Trip) or Kirkland (not related to Costco) but the
> >> Kirkland
> >> in particular goes to mush very quickly. You have to isolate it in the
> >> shower so that the water doesn't accidentally hit it or you'll have no
> >> soap
> >> left.

> > What store are you buying the coconut soap in? I'll tell DD to look
> > for it.

> Not any that you have. Central Market and Bartell Drugs. You can get it on
> Ebay.

jDarn. OK, I'll let her know.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 2 Jun 2014 00:11:44 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> As for the chicken pox vaccine, that didn't come out in this country
>> until
>> 1995.

> In that case, I'd like to know what it was they called a chicken pox
> vaccine that my sister got in the '50's and my children got in the
> '80s.

I think you are mistaken. I was born in 1959 and there was no vaccine.
When Angela got it, we were told it was fairly new. She was born in 1998
but I don't know the time frame of when they can get it. I don't think it
is given as a baby but I could be wrong.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 2 Jun 2014 00:15:02 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:

>> > I googled for images and saw Kirk's Castile soap. Is that what you're
>> > talking about?

>> Sorry, that's it! Only had a little sample bar of that. It is Castile
>> but
>> does have coconut in it. I think Dr. Bronners makes one like that too.
>> just prefer the straight coconut kind. What I got on Ebay is Tropical
>> Traditions. I just placed an order straight from them for 10 bars. I
>> got
>> the lavender but they have other scents and also unscented.

> Thanks, I'll tell her to look for Organic Virgin Coconut Oil soap.
> She will need to go unscented. Is Tropical Traditions the only brand?

I really don't know. There are a lot of people who make soap at home.
That's how I discovered my first bar. If there are health food shops where
she lives she could check those.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 2 Jun 2014 00:12:39 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>> "sf" > wrote in message
>> > On Sun, 1 Jun 2014 22:24:39 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>> > What store are you buying the coconut soap in? I'll tell DD to look
>> > for it.

>> Not any that you have. Central Market and Bartell Drugs. You can get it
>> on
>> Ebay.

> jDarn. OK, I'll let her know.

Have her check whatever health food stores. Whole foods likely has it too.
I just have to check the ingredients. Many of the soaps I saw have other
things in them. Like shea butter, goat's milk or almond oil. Although I do
love shea butter, the reason I needed the soap was to help quash a skin
fungal infection that I got from the antibiotics for my foot. Had I been
using it just for psoriasis or dry skin, the shea would have been fine. I
just can't do dairy or almonds.

However, I have noticed that my skin is much, much softer than it was when
using the Olay or Dove washes. So I think I will stick with this for now.
And it doesn't seem to leave the shower floor slippery like the Dove did.