Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default OT The one-legged cook is now a one-handed cook

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 6/1/2014 12:52 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
>> eb.com...
>>> Just as I was enjoying the freedom of being able to get around and
>>> drive, I came down with shingles. It's on my left arm and hand.

>> Commiserations I've never heard of it on the arm and hand before. I
>> get it in my side.
>>

> Any place you can get chicken pox you can get shingles. That includes
> private parts.

Oh dear(( The itching and pain in my side was bad enough ...

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "sf" > wrote in message
>> On Sun, 1 Jun 2014 22:27:45 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

>>> The TV commercials have shown people who had it on their legs and torso.
>>> tried to get a shot and couldn't. They don't advise it for people under
>>> 60
>>> because it is only good for maybe 10 years.

>> The shingles vaccine is approved for use in people ages 50 to 59 years
>> and the CDC "recommends" it for people age 60+. So it's only good for
>> 10 years, so what? You get a pneumonia vaccine every 5-10 years and a
>> tetanus booster every 10 years, don't you? How is that any different?

> It might be approved for that age but my Dr. won't prescribe it nor did
> the pharmacist recommend it for my age. They both made it sound like you
> could only get the shot once.

I got the pneumonia vac at a young age because of the asthma. I had been
told you only had one. I later learned that they said that because only
older people got it.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "sf" > wrote in message
>>> On Sun, 1 Jun 2014 22:27:45 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>>> The shingles vaccine is approved for use in people ages 50 to 59 years
>>> and the CDC "recommends" it for people age 60+. So it's only good for
>>> 10 years, so what? You get a pneumonia vaccine every 5-10 years and a
>>> tetanus booster every 10 years, don't you? How is that any different?

>> It might be approved for that age but my Dr. won't prescribe it nor did
>> the pharmacist recommend it for my age. They both made it sound like you
>> could only get the shot once.

> I got the pneumonia vac at a young age because of the asthma. I had been
> told you only had one. I later learned that they said that because only
> older people got it.

Hmmm... Maybe they have changed it. My friend got the pneumonia one years
ago and was told that she needed it every three years. The hospital was
pushing me to get it. I only ever had pneumonia once in my life and that
was following some sort of respiratory thing. If I do get respiratory
things now, they only last perhaps 1-2 days and are very mild. They do not
seem to progress like they used to. Used to be if I got so much as a cold,
I would have a sinus infection, ear infection or bronchitis. But I no
longer smoke and since I changed my diet, I don't seem to get sick with that
sort of things. Now I just step on nails and... Well, it's always
something!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Mon, 2 Jun 2014 10:38:38 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>>
>>I got the pneumonia vac at a young age because of the asthma. I had been
>>told you only had one. I later learned that they said that because only
>>older people got it.

> They believed at first that it would take effect for longer but I see
> they now recommend a booster every ten years or so.

Yes that is the same here. As I said, it is usually given to older people
for whom 10 years might be a wee bit too long

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/2/2014 12:43 AM, sf wrote:

> There are too many things that can happen in our old age. I know two
> people who dated when they were young and both have MS now. What are
> the odds in that and I was talking to someone I know casually
> yesterday who has psoriasis now, but it was preceded by a lifetime of
> eczema. I shudder for the future of my brother and daughter.
> Daughter's eczema is worse than brother's, so if there's really a
> connection - it will be awful when she's older, if they haven't
> figured out what to do about it by that time.

Geez, it's a weird thing. Ron's had problems with eczema over
the last year. Says he had it as a kid. Hello, we've been
married 30 years and this is the first I'm hearing of it??
Just came back out of nowhere. Very annoying for him.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> On 6/2/2014 12:43 AM, sf wrote:
>
>> There are too many things that can happen in our old age. I know two
>> people who dated when they were young and both have MS now. What are
>> the odds in that and I was talking to someone I know casually
>> yesterday who has psoriasis now, but it was preceded by a lifetime of
>> eczema. I shudder for the future of my brother and daughter.
>> Daughter's eczema is worse than brother's, so if there's really a
>> connection - it will be awful when she's older, if they haven't
>> figured out what to do about it by that time.

> Geez, it's a weird thing. Ron's had problems with eczema over
> the last year. Says he had it as a kid. Hello, we've been
> married 30 years and this is the first I'm hearing of it??
> Just came back out of nowhere. Very annoying for him.

I hope there is good treatment for it these days and he is comfortable.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Mon, 2 Jun 2014 12:39:13 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

> wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Mon, 2 Jun 2014 10:38:38 +0100, "Ophelia"

>>> They believed at first that it would take effect for longer but I see
>>> they now recommend a booster every ten years or so.

>>Yes that is the same here. As I said, it is usually given to older people
>>for whom 10 years might be a wee bit too long

> Yabbut if you've already croaked I don't think you will care :-Þ

That was rather the point))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/2/2014 8:47 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>> Geez, it's a weird thing. Ron's had problems with eczema over
>> the last year. Says he had it as a kid. Hello, we've been
>> married 30 years and this is the first I'm hearing of it??
>> Just came back out of nowhere. Very annoying for him.

> I hope there is good treatment for it these days and he is comfortable.

The weather warmed up and he's just fine now.
Thanks for the good thoughts.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
news
> On 6/2/2014 8:47 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>>> Geez, it's a weird thing. Ron's had problems with eczema over
>>> the last year. Says he had it as a kid. Hello, we've been
>>> married 30 years and this is the first I'm hearing of it??
>>> Just came back out of nowhere. Very annoying for him.

>> I hope there is good treatment for it these days and he is comfortable.

> The weather warmed up and he's just fine now.
> Thanks for the good thoughts.

Long may it continue
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Wilder" wrote in message
eb.com...

Just as I was enjoying the freedom of being able to get around and
drive, I came down with shingles. It's on my left arm and hand.

I did have the vaccine, but the doctor thinks that the cancer messed up
my immune system.

We are still raising the kittens, bless their little, noisy hearts.
--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

---

Oh, no. I do hope you have a mild case. I had shingles a number of years
ago (centered over my left shoulder blade). It was so painful that I could
not even bear to have a sheet touch that area. We were on vacation at the
time, and I went to a walk-in urgent care center. The doctor prescribed
Zovirax and told me that it *might* give *some* relief from the duration and
intensity since I had it diagnosed quickly. The prescription was very
expensive, but I was in such pain that I was willing to try *anything.* The
Zovirax was in the form of pills, and I was told to also put cream over the
pustules. I feel fortunate because the pain only lasted a few weeks, but it
was so severe that I also got the vaccine years later when it became
available. I hope the vaccine did at least give you the benefit of reducing
the severity.

MaryL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

On Sun, 01 Jun 2014 12:14:45 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>Bummer. I thought shingles usually manifested itself on the abdomen.
>That is where it appeared on everyone I know who had it. They all
>reported it that it is very expensive.
>I have been told that the shot to prevent it is quite expensive, but
>nowhere near 100% effective.

You can get it any place you have skin. Any place.
The vaccine is about $100 depending on insurance coverage, if any.
Having seen a few people with shingles, I strongly advise getting it.
The people I know would pay 10X that not to have the shingles.

~~~~~~~
Yes! Absolutely! Terrible pain, at least in my case. I opted to get the
vaccine when it became available, even though it was expensive and my
insurance did not pay for it. It is not recommended for people who have
already had shingles, but I was willing to do *anything* to avoid another
attack of it. My mother had shingles twice in her life, and I hope to never
go through that again.

MaryL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in message ...

On Sun, 01 Jun 2014 13:56:11 -0400, Doris Night
> wrote:

>On Sun, 01 Jun 2014 12:14:45 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:
>
>>On 2014-06-01 12:07 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>>> Just as I was enjoying the freedom of being able to get around and
>>> drive, I came down with shingles. It's on my left arm and hand.
>>>
>>> I did have the vaccine, but the doctor thinks that the cancer messed up
>>> my immune system.
>>>
>>> We are still raising the kittens, bless their little, noisy hearts.

>>Bummer. I thought shingles usually manifested itself on the abdomen.
>>That is where it appeared on everyone I know who had it. They all
>>reported it that it is very expensive.
>>I have been told that the shot to prevent it is quite expensive, but
>>nowhere near 100% effective.

>I asked my doctor about the shingles shot for myself and DH, and she
>told me it wasn't effective at all, and in fact could CAUSE shingles!

That is very incorrect !

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-c...e/faq-20057859

The current vaccine does not guarantee you will not contract shingles
but it will be less violent.

There is a new one that likely will be on the market in the coming
year.

>What you have to do is immediately go to the ER if you have shingles
>symptom - pain that is on one side of the body only. It can manifest
>on the abdomen, arm, or face.
>
>Doris

~~~~~~~
This is interesting. The reference you supplied says we should get the
vaccine even if we have already had shingles. My doctor said the vaccine
was not recommended to those who have already had shingles. He indicated
that it was considered ineffective in that case, not that it could cause a
problem. The shingles I had was so painful that I opted to get the vaccine
even if not recommended. I had the vaccine shortly after it became
available, which may explain the difference in recommendation.

MaryL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, June 2, 2014 12:54:43 AM UTC-4, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Jun 2014 12:34:11 -0700, "Cheri" >
>
> wrote:
>

> > I don't believe what your doctor said about the shot at all, personally....I

> > would get it.

> I got it and mine was free, thanks to Kaiser.

Kaiser is German. I can't stand Germans. I worked in 1974, I worked for W..H.Hall Construction. We did subcontracting for Kaiser Coal Mines in Sparwood, British Columbia, Canada. I put up fences, dug holes(pick, my partner was the shovel guy), painted, and other assorted labour shit. A great experience.
I had chicken pox when I was a kid. If I get shingles, I'll scream!

If I get shingles,

> according to what I've read here - it won't be as bad as it would have
>
> been.
>

> The chicken pox vaccine came out when I was as a kid. I got chicken
>
> pox and then they vaccinated my sister for it. Her body was chicken
>
> pox free *except* for the bottom of her feet, which were red with door
>
> to door chicken pox. Poor kid, it must have been awful! I remember
>
> rubbing the bottom of her feet with my knuckles because they itched so
>
> much.
>

> --
>

> Good Food.
>
> Good Friends.
>
> Good Memories.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I had shingles on one side of my back a couple of years ago and still have the occasional itching and burning. I have since been given the shingles vaccine, at my doctor's office, and my health insurance paid for the whole thing.

Denise in NH

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 2 Jun 2014 09:25:42 -0500, "MaryL"
> wrote:

> wrote in message ...
>
> On Sun, 01 Jun 2014 13:56:11 -0400, Doris Night
> > wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 01 Jun 2014 12:14:45 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:

> >>Bummer. I thought shingles usually manifested itself on the abdomen.
> >>That is where it appeared on everyone I know who had it. They all
> >>reported it that it is very expensive.
> >>I have been told that the shot to prevent it is quite expensive, but
> >>nowhere near 100% effective.

> >I asked my doctor about the shingles shot for myself and DH, and she
> >told me it wasn't effective at all, and in fact could CAUSE shingles!

> That is very incorrect !
>
> http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-c...e/faq-20057859
>
> The current vaccine does not guarantee you will not contract shingles
> but it will be less violent.
>
> There is a new one that likely will be on the market in the coming
> year.
> >
> >What you have to do is immediately go to the ER if you have shingles
> >symptom - pain that is on one side of the body only. It can manifest
> >on the abdomen, arm, or face.
> >
> >Doris

> ~~~~~~~
> This is interesting. The reference you supplied says we should get the
> vaccine even if we have already had shingles. My doctor said the vaccine
> was not recommended to those who have already had shingles. He indicated
> that it was considered ineffective in that case, not that it could cause a
> problem. The shingles I had was so painful that I opted to get the vaccine
> even if not recommended. I had the vaccine shortly after it became
> available, which may explain the difference in recommendation.

Apparently there's no definitive answer at this point. I got the
vaccine and will get a booster if/'when my HMO tells me I should.
http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsle...ingles-vaccine

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 2 Jun 2014 13:47:40 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:
>

> "Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> > On 6/2/2014 12:43 AM, sf wrote:
> >
> >> There are too many things that can happen in our old age. I know two
> >> people who dated when they were young and both have MS now. What are
> >> the odds in that and I was talking to someone I know casually
> >> yesterday who has psoriasis now, but it was preceded by a lifetime of
> >> eczema. I shudder for the future of my brother and daughter.
> >> Daughter's eczema is worse than brother's, so if there's really a
> >> connection - it will be awful when she's older, if they haven't
> >> figured out what to do about it by that time.

> > Geez, it's a weird thing. Ron's had problems with eczema over
> > the last year. Says he had it as a kid. Hello, we've been
> > married 30 years and this is the first I'm hearing of it??
> > Just came back out of nowhere. Very annoying for him.

> I hope there is good treatment for it these days and he is comfortable.

There is, but DD has to be careful even of water. She wears gloves in
the kitchen and perfumed bath products irritate her skin in the
shower. I don't have skin problems, so after decades of buying Dove -
I'd forgotten why. In a burst of thriftiness I bought Caress and was
shocked by the perfume smell when I opened the box but I saved a few
pennies and was pleased with myself because it has fat too. DD spent
some time with us shortly afterward and the Caress really did a number
on her skin.... *then* I remembered why I was buying Dove all those
years. I think I'll chase down some of those bath bars Julie uses and
put them in the guest shower.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" wrote in message ...

On Mon, 2 Jun 2014 09:25:42 -0500, "MaryL"
> wrote:

> wrote in message ...
>
> On Sun, 01 Jun 2014 13:56:11 -0400, Doris Night
> > wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 01 Jun 2014 12:14:45 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:

> >>Bummer. I thought shingles usually manifested itself on the abdomen.
> >>That is where it appeared on everyone I know who had it. They all
> >>reported it that it is very expensive.
> >>I have been told that the shot to prevent it is quite expensive, but
> >>nowhere near 100% effective.

> >I asked my doctor about the shingles shot for myself and DH, and she
> >told me it wasn't effective at all, and in fact could CAUSE shingles!

> That is very incorrect !
>
> http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-c...e/faq-20057859
>
> The current vaccine does not guarantee you will not contract shingles
> but it will be less violent.
>
> There is a new one that likely will be on the market in the coming
> year.
> >
> >What you have to do is immediately go to the ER if you have shingles
> >symptom - pain that is on one side of the body only. It can manifest
> >on the abdomen, arm, or face.
> >
> >Doris

> ~~~~~~~
> This is interesting. The reference you supplied says we should get the
> vaccine even if we have already had shingles. My doctor said the vaccine
> was not recommended to those who have already had shingles. He indicated
> that it was considered ineffective in that case, not that it could cause a
> problem. The shingles I had was so painful that I opted to get the
> vaccine
> even if not recommended. I had the vaccine shortly after it became
> available, which may explain the difference in recommendation.

Apparently there's no definitive answer at this point. I got the
vaccine and will get a booster if/'when my HMO tells me I should.
http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsle...ingles-vaccine

--
Thanks. That report is close to what my doctor said. He did not recommend
it since I already had shingles, but he did write a prescription for it

MaryL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 02 Jun 2014 08:58:09 -0400, Nancy Young
> wrote:

> On 6/2/2014 8:47 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> >

> > "Nancy Young" > wrote

> >> Geez, it's a weird thing. Ron's had problems with eczema over
> >> the last year. Says he had it as a kid. Hello, we've been
> >> married 30 years and this is the first I'm hearing of it??
> >> Just came back out of nowhere. Very annoying for him.

> > I hope there is good treatment for it these days and he is comfortable.

> The weather warmed up and he's just fine now.
> Thanks for the good thoughts.

I live in the fog, so not much sun here... but when my mother was
alive and living in San Diego county, we'd visit for a couple of
weeks. All the patches where she had shingles would bleed and scab
over. When the scabs fell off, the skin underneath was good. I don't
know if it's the sunshine itself or vitamin D, but it was good for
her.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 2 Jun 2014 13:47:40 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:

>> > Geez, it's a weird thing. Ron's had problems with eczema over
>> > the last year. Says he had it as a kid. Hello, we've been
>> > married 30 years and this is the first I'm hearing of it??
>> > Just came back out of nowhere. Very annoying for him.

>> I hope there is good treatment for it these days and he is comfortable.

> There is, but DD has to be careful even of water. She wears gloves in
> the kitchen and perfumed bath products irritate her skin in the
> shower. I don't have skin problems, so after decades of buying Dove -
> I'd forgotten why. In a burst of thriftiness I bought Caress and was
> shocked by the perfume smell when I opened the box but I saved a few
> pennies and was pleased with myself because it has fat too. DD spent
> some time with us shortly afterward and the Caress really did a number
> on her skin.... *then* I remembered why I was buying Dove all those
> years. I think I'll chase down some of those bath bars Julie uses and
> put them in the guest shower.

Poor wee soul I do hope the soap helps.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 2 Jun 2014 09:10:48 -0700 (PDT), A Goose in Love
> wrote:

> On Monday, June 2, 2014 12:54:43 AM UTC-4, sf wrote:
> > On Sun, 1 Jun 2014 12:34:11 -0700, "Cheri" >
> >
> > wrote:
> >

> > > I don't believe what your doctor said about the shot at all, personally...I

> > > would get it.

> > I got it and mine was free, thanks to Kaiser.

> Kaiser is German. I can't stand Germans.

Too bad for you then.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 2 Jun 2014 14:02:55 +0100, Janet > wrote:

>In article >,
>says...
>
> I was talking to someone I know casually
>> yesterday who has psoriasis now, but it was preceded by a lifetime of
>> eczema.

> Or, a lifetime of psoriatic skin symptoms, misdiagnosed as eczema.

The heartache disease...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 01 Jun 2014 21:47:38 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 6/1/2014 1:56 PM, Doris Night wrote:
>

>> I asked my doctor about the shingles shot for myself and DH, and she
>> told me it wasn't effective at all, and in fact could CAUSE shingles!

>I think your doctor is misinformed. Not perfect, they can lessen the
>effects.

She is a very good doctor. I defer to her wisdom.

>> What you have to do is immediately go to the ER if you have shingles
>> symptom - pain that is on one side of the body only. It can manifest
>> on the abdomen, arm, or face.

>What is the ER going to do? We recently had a thread here about ER and
>walk in clinics that are best suited to handle thing like that. Fast
>treatment helps, but it is not life threatening. Save the ER for heart
>attacks and auto accidents.

She told me to go to the ER if I had symptoms, and they would make a
firm diagnosis plus prescribe suitable medication. (BTW, she is the
head ER doctor in our hospital.) We don't have walk-in clinics where I
live. Just a hospital.

Doris.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doris Night" wrote in message

On Sun, 01 Jun 2014 21:47:38 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 6/1/2014 1:56 PM, Doris Night wrote:
>

>> I asked my doctor about the shingles shot for myself and DH, and she
>> told me it wasn't effective at all, and in fact could CAUSE shingles!

>I think your doctor is misinformed. Not perfect, they can lessen the
>effects.

She is a very good doctor. I defer to her wisdom.

>> What you have to do is immediately go to the ER if you have shingles
>> symptom - pain that is on one side of the body only. It can manifest
>> on the abdomen, arm, or face.

>What is the ER going to do? We recently had a thread here about ER and
>walk in clinics that are best suited to handle thing like that. Fast
>treatment helps, but it is not life threatening. Save the ER for heart
>attacks and auto accidents.

She told me to go to the ER if I had symptoms, and they would make a
firm diagnosis plus prescribe suitable medication. (BTW, she is the
head ER doctor in our hospital.) We don't have walk-in clinics where I
live. Just a hospital.

Doris.

~~~~~~~
Well, once you get that "firm diagnosis," it is too late--the "suitable
medication" may slightly reduce the length and severity, but you can be in
for extreme pain for several months. I speak from experience!! Some people
will even have a lifetime of neuralgia.

MaryL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 2 Jun 2014 21:26:15 +0100, Janet > wrote:

> In article >,
> says...
>
> > There is, but DD has to be careful even of water. She wears gloves in
> > the kitchen and perfumed bath products irritate her skin in the
> > shower. I don't have skin problems, so after decades of buying Dove -
> > I'd forgotten why. In a burst of thriftiness I bought Caress and was
> > shocked by the perfume smell when I opened the box but I saved a few
> > pennies and was pleased with myself because it has fat too. DD spent
> > some time with us shortly afterward and the Caress really did a number
> > on her skin.... *then* I remembered why I was buying Dove all those
> > years. I think I'll chase down some of those bath bars Julie uses and
> > put them in the guest shower.

> I'd strongly recommend she showers/washes with plain water, no soap
> or other washing products at all; and that she washes her hair in the
> sink or leaning into the shower so she doesn't get shampoo rinsed onto
> her body.
> Our dermatologist recommended Filetti washing detergent for
> sensitive skin, to launder all clothes towels and bedding ; it's
> expensive but worth it.

Thanks, Janet - I'll pass that info on to her. In the mean time, I
see there are several detergent free choices, including soap nuts, but
All Free and Clear seems to popular.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
> On 6/2/2014 12:43 AM, sf wrote:
>
>> There are too many things that can happen in our old age. I know two
>> people who dated when they were young and both have MS now. What are
>> the odds in that and I was talking to someone I know casually
>> yesterday who has psoriasis now, but it was preceded by a lifetime of
>> eczema. I shudder for the future of my brother and daughter.
>> Daughter's eczema is worse than brother's, so if there's really a
>> connection - it will be awful when she's older, if they haven't
>> figured out what to do about it by that time.

> Geez, it's a weird thing. Ron's had problems with eczema over
> the last year. Says he had it as a kid. Hello, we've been
> married 30 years and this is the first I'm hearing of it??
> Just came back out of nowhere. Very annoying for him.

I had all sorts of skin problems as a kid and teen. Was once sent home from
school with ringworm which wasn't. It was eczema. I was misdiagnosed with
flea bites. Only after we washed all my bedding in hot water and gave the
dog many baths and applied all sorts of problems did the dermatologist
realize that it wasn't flea bites at all but an allergic reaction to Irish
Spring soap. My dad switched from Dial to that. Then I reacted to Dial and
had to stop using all soap. Could only use Camay. Then there was the pink
sparkly eye shadow that caused a pink and not so sparkly rash on my eyelids
and underneath my eyes where it flaked off.

I also have trouble with lots of lipsticks. They burn and sting or cause an
itchy rash. Now I am down to nail polish which *knock wood* doesn't bother
me. Once in a while I will wear a tinted lip balm but I use very few
cosmetics.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Mon, 2 Jun 2014 15:17:32 -0500, "MaryL"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Doris Night" wrote in message
. ..

>>>I think your doctor is misinformed. Not perfect, they can lessen the
>>>effects.

>>She is a very good doctor. I defer to her wisdom.

>>>What is the ER going to do? We recently had a thread here about ER and
>>>walk in clinics that are best suited to handle thing like that. Fast
>>>treatment helps, but it is not life threatening. Save the ER for heart
>>>attacks and auto accidents.

>>She told me to go to the ER if I had symptoms, and they would make a
>>firm diagnosis plus prescribe suitable medication. (BTW, she is the
>>head ER doctor in our hospital.) We don't have walk-in clinics where I
>>live. Just a hospital.
>>
>>Doris.
>>
>>~~~~~~~
>>Well, once you get that "firm diagnosis," it is too late--the "suitable
>>medication" may slightly reduce the length and severity, but you can be in
>>for extreme pain for several months. I speak from experience!! Some
>>people
>>will even have a lifetime of neuralgia.
>>
>>MaryL

> Yes, it damages nerves. My daughter had it on her back and anytime
> she is out when the weather is around -5°C or below, she says it is
> like she has it all over again. Very painful.
>
> I believe the only thing once shingles are diagnosed is Zovirax and
> that works for few people and only serves to lessen it a bit. Too
> late once you know.

I think mine must have been very mild! Yes it was painful and it was very
itchy. I was scratching myself raw, but strong antihistamine helped and
keeps it under control.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/2/2014 12:53 PM, Sqwertz wrote:

> On Sun, 01 Jun 2014 13:34:32 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
>> You can get it any place you have skin. Any place.
>> The vaccine is about $100 depending on insurance coverage, if any.
>> Having seen a few people with shingles, I strongly advise getting it.
>> The people I know would pay 10X that not to have the shingles.

> Somebody has to pay for those 50 nationally televised shingles vaccine
> commercials a day.
>
> -sw

I hate those commercials where they have a different person for
basically the same commercial. Lyrica commercials are like that, too. I
feel like saying, alright already. We got the idea when the last guy
said it.

--
ღ.¸¸.œ«*¨`*œ¶
Cheryl

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
news
> On Mon, 2 Jun 2014 21:26:15 +0100, Janet > wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> says...
>>
>> > There is, but DD has to be careful even of water. She wears gloves in
>> > the kitchen and perfumed bath products irritate her skin in the
>> > shower. I don't have skin problems, so after decades of buying Dove -
>> > I'd forgotten why. In a burst of thriftiness I bought Caress and was
>> > shocked by the perfume smell when I opened the box but I saved a few
>> > pennies and was pleased with myself because it has fat too. DD spent
>> > some time with us shortly afterward and the Caress really did a number
>> > on her skin.... *then* I remembered why I was buying Dove all those
>> > years. I think I'll chase down some of those bath bars Julie uses and
>> > put them in the guest shower.

>> I'd strongly recommend she showers/washes with plain water, no soap
>> or other washing products at all; and that she washes her hair in the
>> sink or leaning into the shower so she doesn't get shampoo rinsed onto
>> her body.
>> Our dermatologist recommended Filetti washing detergent for
>> sensitive skin, to launder all clothes towels and bedding ; it's
>> expensive but worth it.
>>

> Thanks, Janet - I'll pass that info on to her. In the mean time, I
> see there are several detergent free choices, including soap nuts, but
> All Free and Clear seems to popular.

That's what I used for my dad's laundry.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, June 2, 2014 1:10:33 PM UTC-4, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Jun 2014 09:10:48 -0700 (PDT), A Goose in Love
>
> > wrote:
>

> > On Monday, June 2, 2014 12:54:43 AM UTC-4, sf wrote:

> > > I got it and mine was free, thanks to Kaiser.

> > Kaiser is German. I can't stand Germans.

> Too bad for you then.

I was only joking. I'm Ethnic German. I was being sarcastic towards people here who hate Germans. My family comes from Hungary. We're ethnic Germans. There were many German villages in Hungary. At one time the official language was German in Hungary. They also spoke as an official language, they also spoke Latin. Now the lingo is Magyar. They are, the Magyars, are an ethnic minority.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 2 Jun 2014 17:53:59 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love
> wrote:

> I was only joking. I'm Ethnic German. I was being sarcastic towards people here who hate Germans. My family comes from Hungary. We're ethnic Germans. There were many German villages in Hungary. At one time the official language was German in Hungary. They also spoke as an official language, they also spoke Latin. Now the lingo is Magyar. They are, the Magyars, are an ethnic minority.

Do you have your finger on the pulse of Hungarian cooking? I
absolutely LOVE the dish that is essentially cabbage and noodles
(káposztás tészta) and make it occasionally. Just went through my
rather sparse folder of Hungarian recipes and have a question for you
about an ingredient in Lecsó called "smoked szalonna". Is there a
suitable substitute for Americanos or are we stuck with regular bacon
(cooked) or ham?

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/1/2014 3:36 PM, Cheri wrote:
> If you've ever had chicken pox, you should have it, but I will say when
> I was getting mine a younger man was asking about it, and the pharmacist
> told him they couldn't give it to anyone under 60 at this time. Dunno
> why, unless they were short of the vaccine. It cost 160.00 which
> insurance or medicare didn't pay, though I believe some do.
>
> Cheri

I'm not sure if I ever had chicken pox. (I was immunized for all sorts
of things well before I reached Kindergarten age but I've no idea what,
exactly, all those shots were for.)

It's only in the last year I've been seeing advertisements (can you say
ad nauseam?) on TV for the shingles vaccine.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, June 2, 2014 9:40:29 PM UTC-4, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Jun 2014 17:53:59 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love
>
> > wrote:
>

> > I was only joking. I'm Ethnic German. I was being sarcastic towards people here who hate Germans. My family comes from Hungary. We're ethnic Germans. There were many German villages in Hungary. At one time the official language was German in Hungary. They also spoke as an official language, they also spoke Latin. Now the lingo is Magyar. They are, the Magyars, are an ethnic minority.

> Do you have your finger on the pulse of Hungarian cooking? I
>
> absolutely LOVE the dish that is essentially cabbage and noodles
>
> (k�poszt�s t�szta) and make it occasionally.

Yes. I love cabbage and noodles. I basically is simple and needs fresh ground black pepper. We call it by the German name: Kraut Kloese(although in our dialect it's Kraut Klase). It's good fried in butter. The proper way to make it is to use of course cabbage, and nockerln(a little Hungarian style dumpling; basically the same recipe as Spaetzle, but with a different shape all together; you can use bow tie pasta though.)

Just went through my

> rather sparse folder of Hungarian recipes and have a question for you
>
> about an ingredient in Lecs� called "smoked szalonna". Is there a
>
> suitable substitute for Americanos or are we stuck with regular bacon
>
> (cooked) or ham?

I understand Lecso, but not szalonna. We made a very very hot lecso using very hot peppers, and added home made smoked sausage. Pretty fiery. Basically just tomatoes, very hot peppers, onions and sausage. For some Hungarians, including my father, eating hot peppers was a macho thing. He used to eat these little green crazy hot peppers raw. That and raw garlic. Rye bread smeared with goose fat. Go figure.

> --
>
> All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

On 6/1/2014 3:36 PM, Cheri wrote:
> If you've ever had chicken pox, you should have it, but I will say when
> I was getting mine a younger man was asking about it, and the pharmacist
> told him they couldn't give it to anyone under 60 at this time. Dunno
> why, unless they were short of the vaccine. It cost 160.00 which
> insurance or medicare didn't pay, though I believe some do.
>
> Cheri

I'm not sure if I ever had chicken pox. (I was immunized for all sorts
of things well before I reached Kindergarten age but I've no idea what,
exactly, all those shots were for.)

It's only in the last year I've been seeing advertisements (can you say
ad nauseam?) on TV for the shingles vaccine.

Jill

My husband had RA. Type 2 diabetes, a lung disorder, and various other
things but other than the lung disease that killed him the shingles were the
very worst. He was in agony. Shingles is something you do not want.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/1/2014 11:46 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 6/1/2014 12:07 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>> Just as I was enjoying the freedom of being able to get around and
>> drive, I came down with shingles. It's on my left arm and hand.
>>
>> I did have the vaccine, but the doctor thinks that the cancer messed up
>> my immune system.
>>
>> We are still raising the kittens, bless their little, noisy hearts.

> Wow, you've really had some bad luck! I never really heard about
> shingles until recently.
>
> Take care of yourself and those wee kitties. Hopefully we'll get to see
> some pics of the little cuties soon.
>
> Jill

Not sure what Janet did with the kittens, she is in New Jersey right
now, her husband's funeral is today. Just when we thought things
couldn't get worse. :-(

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/2/2014 9:21 AM, MaryL wrote:

> You can get it any place you have skin. Any place.
> The vaccine is about $100 depending on insurance coverage, if any.
> Having seen a few people with shingles, I strongly advise getting it.
> The people I know would pay 10X that not to have the shingles.
>
> ~~~~~~~
> Yes! Absolutely! Terrible pain, at least in my case. I opted to get
> the vaccine when it became available, even though it was expensive and
> my insurance did not pay for it. It is not recommended for people who
> have already had shingles, but I was willing to do *anything* to avoid
> another attack of it. My mother had shingles twice in her life, and I
> hope to never go through that again.
>
> MaryL

One of my friends had the shingles, she went to the doctor early, but
she was still in pain. She called her son, who was a doctor, demanding
that he do something and he told her that everything possible had
already been done. She could not stand the sheets touching her skin at
night, I have never seen anyone who was so miserable. I don't want it
and I hope I don't get it.

Becca