Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default OT The one-legged cook is now a one-handed cook

On 6/6/2014 6:30 PM, Cheryl wrote:
> On 6/6/2014 10:03 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:

>>> I lost a child, and Janet did also. She's had a tough time and I admire
>>> her will to persevere.
>>>

>> It's nothing to do with "will" it all has to do with not having any
>> other choice but to go on.
>>

> Well, there are other choices, like go on without really living.

I never learned to capitulate. :-)

--

Janet Wilder
Posting from the Netbaby

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ema Nymton" > wrote in message
> On 6/6/2014 9:11 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>>>

>>> I had a friend who once said "I don't believe there is a Heaven... but
>>> at the same time, I KNOW my Grandmother is there!"
>>>
>>> I do believe in some sort of after-life... but I'm not big on the Angels
>>> playing harps thing, but I like the idea that there is something, even
>>> if I can't put it into words.
>>>
>>> George L

>> I believe there is an afterlife. What's there doesn't concern me. Who
>> is there concerns me more. The better a person you were on earth, the
>> closer your spot is to G-d, but everyone goes to the afterlife, doesn't
>> matter what they believed in.
>>
>> I also know that s**t happens and G-d is there to comfort you when it
>> does.

> Wish I believed in an afterlife. For you, Janet, I hope there is one, and
> I hope you see a few smiling faces to greet you.
>
> Here is a poem we read when we do memorials on cruise ships.
>
> Becca
>

> In Case You Are Looking For Me
>
> In case you are looking for me,
> I've sailed back home.
> My final voyage, the sails are set,
> The winds favor me.
>
> The spray and mist comfort me
> And I'm at peace with all.
> Water gently laps about the bow,
> Rocking, gliding, toward promised shores.
>
> On the nearing horizon I see,
> Such sights you would not believe.
> I think I see a friendly face,
> Someone I used to know.
>
> He is standing there,
> Arms reaching out for me.
> He is welcoming me home,
> To the final port.
> All is okay, I know,
> I've sailed back home.

Thanks for posting that, Becca. It really got to me.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
eb.com...

> thanks everyone. I still have to finish my physical therapy sessions, so
> that will get me out of the house 3 days a week. Then I can start back
> with the gym and yoga.
>
> I will be very busy settling the estate, changing accounts and titles from
> joint to single, learning what is to become of the health benefits I had
> through his union, etc. There is no time for sitting around,
>
> After I get everything straightened out, I intend to go into my room and
> have a three-day cry. :-)

Good for you, girl! *hugs*

> --
>

> Janet Wilder
> Posting from the Netbaby
>
> ---
> protection is active.

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 07 Jun 2014 00:47:07 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

>I don't think anyone needs to belong to an organized religion to have
>faith. If it isn't a personal thing between you and your Creator, then
>it's probably not genuine and a waste of time.

Exactly!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, June 1, 2014 3:32:49 PM UTC-4, Cheri wrote:
> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message

> > On 2014-06-01 12:07 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:

> >> Just as I was enjoying the freedom of being able to get around and

> >> drive, I came down with shingles. It's on my left arm and hand.

> >> I did have the vaccine, but the doctor thinks that the cancer messed up

> >> my immune system.

> >> We are still raising the kittens, bless their little, noisy hearts.

> > Bummer. I thought shingles usually manifested itself on the abdomen. That

> > is where it appeared on everyone I know who had it. They all reported it

> > that it is very expensive.

> > I have been told that the shot to prevent it is quite expensive, but

> > nowhere near 100% effective.

> Here, at Walgreen's it cost me 160.00 for the shingles shot. I do know a
>
> couple of people that have had the shot and still got shingles. Very painful
>
> theirs were on the back and the neck.
>

> Cheri

I've gotten quotes of $260 bucks, so I'm pressing my luck.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

What luck!!
Lousy, actually,

I hope you are on the mend soon and can enjoy those kits.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/7/2014 1:38 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> thanks everyone. I still have to finish my physical therapy sessions,
> so that will get me out of the house 3 days a week. Then I can start
> back with the gym and yoga.
>
> I will be very busy settling the estate, changing accounts and titles
> from joint to single, learning what is to become of the health benefits
> I had through his union, etc. There is no time for sitting around,

No mean feat, Janet. I feel for you.

I know it's not the same, but I was amazed at what was involved with
changing everything over from joint accounts/titles to just my mom's
name. So much paperwork. I do hope you don't have any problems with
the health benefits from Barry's union.

> After I get everything straightened out, I intend to go into my room and
> have a three-day cry. :-)

Go ahead and cry whenever you feel like it.

I had some other ideas about cooking for one since you're definitely
going to be busy. "Breakfast" for dinner. Now, I don't know if you
like what I consider breakfast foods. But omelets are quick, easy, you
can add vegetables and all sorts of things to them. Pancakes or french
toast with a side of fruit. Quick, easy, no need to worry about storing
leftovers.

I wish you all the best.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/7/2014 8:48 AM, Janet wrote:
> In article >, says...
>
>> In Case You Are Looking For Me
>>
>> In case you are looking for me,
>> I've sailed back home.
>> My final voyage, the sails are set,
>> The winds favor me.
>>
>> The spray and mist comfort me
>> And I'm at peace with all.
>> Water gently laps about the bow,
>> Rocking, gliding, toward promised shores.
>>
>> On the nearing horizon I see,
>> Such sights you would not believe.
>> I think I see a friendly face,
>> Someone I used to know.

> Reminds me of this one
>
> " The Sailing Ship - Charles Henry Brent (1862-1929)
>
> What is dying?
> I am standing on the seashore.
> A ship sails to the morning breeze and starts for the ocean.
> She is an object and I stand watching her
> Till at last she fades from the horizon,
> And someone at my side says, ?She is gone!? Gone where?
> Gone from my sight, that is all;
> She is just as large in the masts, hull and spars as she was when I saw
> her,
> And just as able to bear her load of living freight to its destination.
> The diminished size and total loss of sight is in me, not in her;
> And just at the moment when someone at my side says, "She is gone",
> There are others who are watching her coming,
> And other voices take up a glad shout,
> "There she comes" ? and that is dying."
>
> It was read at the funeral of my son's best friend, who crashed his
> car on his 18th birthday.
>
> Janet UK

This was lovely, Janet.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/7/2014 9:10 AM, jmcquown wrote:

> Go ahead and cry whenever you feel like it.
>
> I had some other ideas about cooking for one since you're definitely
> going to be busy. "Breakfast" for dinner. Now, I don't know if you
> like what I consider breakfast foods. But omelets are quick, easy, you
> can add vegetables and all sorts of things to them. Pancakes or french
> toast with a side of fruit. Quick, easy, no need to worry about storing
> leftovers.
>
> I wish you all the best.

Thanks, Jill. I do like omelets or migas. That's a good idea. I could
cut up veggies when I have the time and keep them in the fridge.

--

Janet Wilder
Posting from the Netbaby

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/7/2014 11:09 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 6/7/2014 9:10 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Go ahead and cry whenever you feel like it.
>>
>> I had some other ideas about cooking for one since you're definitely
>> going to be busy. "Breakfast" for dinner. Now, I don't know if you
>> like what I consider breakfast foods. But omelets are quick, easy, you
>> can add vegetables and all sorts of things to them. Pancakes or french
>> toast with a side of fruit. Quick, easy, no need to worry about storing
>> leftovers.
>>
>> I wish you all the best.
>>

> Thanks, Jill. I do like omelets or migas. That's a good idea. I could
> cut up veggies when I have the time and keep them in the fridge.

That is a great idea. I wasn't a good cook-for-one person, when
Ron was in Chicago every week, I really didn't make myself 'real'
food all the time. But I did make the occasional omelet and
it's a great meal that keeps me from being hungry for much of the
day.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/7/2014 11:09 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 6/7/2014 9:10 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Go ahead and cry whenever you feel like it.
>>
>> I had some other ideas about cooking for one since you're definitely
>> going to be busy. "Breakfast" for dinner. Now, I don't know if you
>> like what I consider breakfast foods. But omelets are quick, easy, you
>> can add vegetables and all sorts of things to them. Pancakes or french
>> toast with a side of fruit. Quick, easy, no need to worry about storing
>> leftovers.
>>
>> I wish you all the best.
>>

> Thanks, Jill. I do like omelets or migas. That's a good idea. I could
> cut up veggies when I have the time and keep them in the fridge.

You're welcome! I'm glad I could offer another suggestion.

I had to look up migas. I've never eaten *authentic* Spanish or
Portuguese cuisine, but the Tex-Mex version (according to Wikipedia)
sounds like something I might enjoy, with a few modifications. This is
their definition of the Tex-Mex version:

"Scrambled eggs mixed with strips of corn tortilla, diced onions, sliced
chile peppers, diced fresh tomatoes, and cheese, plus various spices and
condiments (e.g. salsa or pico de gallo). Migas is typically served with
refried beans, and corn or flour tortillas are used to enfold all of the
ingredients into tacos. In some areas, it may have been traditionally
eaten during Lent.[8] One common variation is to add chorizo to the
standard ingredients."

I'd definitely be adding chorizo, but not the sludgy cheap greasy stuff
I once made the sad mistake (many years ago) of buying.

I do have a nearby Taqueria & Tienda (that's all it says on the sign by
the road). They stock some nice Mexican melting cheeses such as queso
blanco and oaxaca.

Hmmmm. They might have some (non-sludge) chorizo. Problem is, no one
in the place speaks English. I don't speak Spanish.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/7/2014 11:27 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 6/7/2014 11:09 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>> On 6/7/2014 9:10 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>>
>>> Go ahead and cry whenever you feel like it.
>>>
>>> I had some other ideas about cooking for one since you're definitely
>>> going to be busy. "Breakfast" for dinner. Now, I don't know if you
>>> like what I consider breakfast foods. But omelets are quick, easy, you
>>> can add vegetables and all sorts of things to them. Pancakes or french
>>> toast with a side of fruit. Quick, easy, no need to worry about storing
>>> leftovers.
>>>
>>> I wish you all the best.
>>>

>> Thanks, Jill. I do like omelets or migas. That's a good idea. I could
>> cut up veggies when I have the time and keep them in the fridge.

> That is a great idea. I wasn't a good cook-for-one person, when
> Ron was in Chicago every week, I really didn't make myself 'real'
> food all the time. But I did make the occasional omelet and
> it's a great meal that keeps me from being hungry for much of the
> day.
>
> nancy

Thanks! The notion of "breakfast" for dinner just hit me yesterday.
Easy, quick, tasty and really not much cleanup involved.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder wrote:

> On 6/7/2014 9:10 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>
> > Go ahead and cry whenever you feel like it.
> >
> > I had some other ideas about cooking for one since you're definitely
> > going to be busy. "Breakfast" for dinner. Now, I don't know if you
> > like what I consider breakfast foods. But omelets are quick, easy, you
> > can add vegetables and all sorts of things to them. Pancakes or french
> > toast with a side of fruit. Quick, easy, no need to worry about storing
> > leftovers.
> >
> > I wish you all the best.
> >

> Thanks, Jill. I do like omelets or migas. That's a good idea. I could
> cut up veggies when I have the time and keep them in the fridge.

Here's my bottom line theory on life, Janet. You have endured so darn
many hardships and now the loss of your beloved husband. I would just
go ballistic now and eat any damn thing that sounds good at the time.
If that causes me to die a bit sooner, so be it....at least I ended my
long life on a happy note.

My beloved parents (both about mid-80's now) are lately eating a very
bland and crappy diet on doctor's recommendation. They are old, mostly
just sit around and just watch tv each day...and now they can't even
enjoy their meals. That's not living well to me.

Quality of life means more to me than quantity. I will never give up a
decent meal just to live longer and miss my good food.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, June 4, 2014 9:59:50 PM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Cheri" > wrote in message

> > > wrote in message

> >> She re-confirms my atheism lol How would a kind, loving god come up

> >> with Julie ?

> > She's an atheist too, so you're in good company.

> After seeing those nasty comments, I may change my religion. I don't know
>
> to what but... I don't want to be lumped in with them!

I'm Lutheran. Be Lutheran. I learned to respect people when I went to Sunday School every Sunday. I might not believe in a Christian God(I'm Not Sure), but I learned good values; I learned to treat my fellows with respect and got it back. I also learned to kick the shit out of people that wanted to hack on me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking,can.politics,uk.politics.misc

On 6/7/2014 8:21 PM, A Moose in Love wrote:
> I'm Lutheran. Be Lutheran. I learned to respect people when I went to Sunday School every Sunday. I might not believe in a Christian God(I'm Not Sure),

Shut up Nazi, no one wants to hear one more word from you.

"I admire the Zell character in 'Marathon Man.' Except for the end part
where he gets humiliated and has to eat his diamonds.
I'm a Nazi.
Really."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

says...
> > Uh, no. I just got a new car and a new roof. Angela will perhaps be given
> > a car soon. We'll be getting some new siding and the house painted. And my
> > foot is healed.

Buy Angela a home Apple computer first so she doesn't need to use a
friends computer far away or late at night and miss out on
assignments.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 09 Jun 2014 14:23:26 -0400, Gary > wrote:

> says...
> > > Uh, no. I just got a new car and a new roof. Angela will perhaps be given
> > > a car soon. We'll be getting some new siding and the house painted. And my
> > > foot is healed.

> Buy Angela a home Apple computer first so she doesn't need to use a
> friends computer far away or late at night and miss out on
> assignments.

Even a Chromebook would be fine for assignments because she can use
Google Drive for composition and presentations.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...

says...
>> > Uh, no. I just got a new car and a new roof. Angela will perhaps be
>> > given
>> > a car soon. We'll be getting some new siding and the house painted.
>> > And my
>> > foot is healed.

> Buy Angela a home Apple computer first so she doesn't need to use a
> friends computer far away or late at night and miss out on
> assignments.

I don't think so. But maybe if we can find a used one. We don't know of
anyone with a Mac. It would only be needed for Word and only if she started
something at school. And only in certain circumstances.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 9 Jun 2014 15:04:19 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Gary" > wrote in message ...

says...

>> Buy Angela a home Apple computer first so she doesn't need to use a
>> friends computer far away or late at night and miss out on
>> assignments.

>I don't think so. But maybe if we can find a used one. We don't know of
>anyone with a Mac. It would only be needed for Word and only if she started
>something at school. And only in certain circumstances.

What a ****ed up world you live in. Everything is a problem, nothing
makes sense. Is it *really* like that over there for everyone else as
well?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 9 Jun 2014 15:04:19 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "Gary" > wrote in message ...
> >
> says...

> > Buy Angela a home Apple computer first so she doesn't need to use a
> > friends computer far away or late at night and miss out on
> > assignments.

> I don't think so. But maybe if we can find a used one. We don't know of
> anyone with a Mac. It would only be needed for Word and only if she started
> something at school. And only in certain circumstances.

Chromebook, Google docs.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 09 Jun 2014 14:23:26 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>

>> says...

>> Buy Angela a home Apple computer first so she doesn't need to use a
>> friends computer far away or late at night and miss out on
>> assignments.

> Even a Chromebook would be fine for assignments because she can use
> Google Drive for composition and presentations.

I have no clue what any of that means. They do Powerpoint presentations and
they were told that they have to do those at the school but I don't know if
that has to do with the type of computer or not.

In elementary they did have some Windows PCs in the classroom but the
laptops were all Macs. Not sure what they had at Jr. High. I don't
remember any issues but they also had to use Noodle Tools. So nothing was
really stored on a computer. It was all online. They also use Noodle Tools
for some things this year, but not everything.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 9 Jun 2014 15:04:19 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>> "Gary" > wrote in message
>> >
>> says...
>> >
>> > Buy Angela a home Apple computer first so she doesn't need to use a
>> > friends computer far away or late at night and miss out on
>> > assignments.

>> I don't think so. But maybe if we can find a used one. We don't know of
>> anyone with a Mac. It would only be needed for Word and only if she
>> started
>> something at school. And only in certain circumstances.

> Chromebook, Google docs.

I looked it up and fail to see how that would help. They already use
Noodletools. I think the problems are with Powerpoint and Word.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 10 Jun 2014 22:27:36 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"sf" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Mon, 9 Jun 2014 15:04:19 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>> "Gary" > wrote in message
>>> I don't think so. But maybe if we can find a used one. We don't know of
>>> anyone with a Mac. It would only be needed for Word and only if she
>>> started
>>> something at school. And only in certain circumstances.

>> Chromebook, Google docs.
>>

>I looked it up and fail to see how that would help. They already use
>Noodletools. I think the problems are with Powerpoint and Word.

No. The problem lies between the keyboard and chair.
You don't even need Word, necessarily.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 10 Jun 2014 22:27:36 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Mon, 9 Jun 2014 15:04:19 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:
> >

> >> "Gary" > wrote in message
> >> >
> >> says...

> >> I don't think so. But maybe if we can find a used one. We don't know of
> >> anyone with a Mac. It would only be needed for Word and only if she
> >> started
> >> something at school. And only in certain circumstances.

> > Chromebook, Google docs.
> >

> I looked it up and fail to see how that would help. They already use
> Noodletools. I think the problems are with Powerpoint and Word.

I said she can use Google Drive for word processing and presentations.
You're obviously looking for an excuse to buy her a car and not a
computer. Weird priorities.

--
All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Jun 2014 22:27:36 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>> "sf" > wrote in message
>>> On Mon, 9 Jun 2014 15:04:19 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>>> Chromebook, Google docs.
>>>

>> I looked it up and fail to see how that would help. They already use
>> Noodletools. I think the problems are with Powerpoint and Word.

> I said she can use Google Drive for word processing and presentations.
> You're obviously looking for an excuse to buy her a car and not a
> computer. Weird priorities.

That's really very simple, sf. If Angela has a car, Julie doesn't have to
get off her ass to haul her around. That gives her more free time to shop
online and post about what she wouldn't like even though she's never tried
it, what she can't eat because she's "sensitive" to it, and the curiosity
of bread that molds before it's sell by date!
--
jinx the minx

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Jun 2014 14:46:18 +0000 (UTC), jinx the minx
> wrote:

>sf > wrote:
>> On Tue, 10 Jun 2014 22:27:36 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

>>> I looked it up and fail to see how that would help. They already use
>>> Noodletools. I think the problems are with Powerpoint and Word.

>> I said she can use Google Drive for word processing and presentations.
>> You're obviously looking for an excuse to buy her a car and not a
>> computer. Weird priorities.

>That's really very simple, sf. If Angela has a car, Julie doesn't have to
>get off her ass to haul her around. That gives her more free time to shop
>online and post about what she wouldn't like even though she's never tried
>it, what she can't eat because she's "sensitive" to it, and the curiosity
>of bread that molds before it's sell by date!

I can only imagine what Julie's husband has to endure. She's the very
antithesis of all the women I know around here. She wouldn't last a
day here without having a breakdown. She wouldn't be tolerated - by
anyone.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 10 Jun 2014 22:27:36 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>> "sf" > wrote in message
>> > On Mon, 9 Jun 2014 15:04:19 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>> > Chromebook, Google docs.
>> >

>> I looked it up and fail to see how that would help. They already use
>> Noodletools. I think the problems are with Powerpoint and Word.

> I said she can use Google Drive for word processing and presentations.
> You're obviously looking for an excuse to buy her a car and not a
> computer. Weird priorities.

Actually, she can't. I did say that she has to use Word. And Powerpoint.
No matter that your Google Drive can do word processing and presentations.
That isn't what they use. And I don't need to buy her a car. I am not
going to get into that here.

I don't have weird priorities at all. Would make no sense at all to buy a
computer for her remaining two years of school that she might only use for a
few things and would never use otherwise. Plus my husband's computer broke
and he has to get a new one. And no, it won't be a Mac.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> I don't have weird priorities at all. Would make no sense at all to buy a
> computer for her remaining two years of school that she might only use for a
> few things and would never use otherwise.

Two more years of high school and on to college after that. Buy her a
computer, Julie. She could really use one the next 2 years of high
school since YOU said she often needs one but you would have to drive
her over to a friends house to use one.... and most colleges require
one.

> plus my husband's computer broke
> and he has to get a new one.

So husband (Angela's own father) gets the new computer and won't even
let her use it for school work. You're losing me here, Julie. It just
get stranger and stranger lately.

<begin rant>
When you first became a parent, your MAIN job became to raise your
daughter to be the best that she can possibly be.

You encourage her to become independent and get the most education or
skills that she is capable of even before she gets married and has
kids.

If a future husband dies or just leaves her, she needs skills to cope
well on her own.

I raised my daughter by myself since age 7. I've always stressed high
education and independence. Get your education for a great career.
Once you graduate, I'm fine if you choose to marry, have kids, and be
a stay at home mom. But they need backup options.

A daughter needs to know that if a husband dies, or leaves her, or is
just verbally or physically abusive, she needs the skills to leave the
bum and know she can survive well on her own.

Way too many women these days stay in abusive relationships because
they feel stuck and have no better options.

Screw your husband and his new necessary computer. Buy it and give it
to Angela or at least have him let her use it for 2 more years of high
school.

</rant>

Grrrrr! >;-[]