Louis Cohen

Default Skirt Steak Question

Skirt steak is traditional for fajitas, before it became fashionable. My
guess is that marinating time depends on acidity - a very acid marinade
(lots of vinegar, citrus, etc.) would ruin thin cuts of meat overnight. If
you use more oil and herbs and less vinegar, overnight would be fine.

Louis Cohen
Living la vida loca at N37° 43' 7.9" W122° 8' 42.8"

"Dog3" <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote in message
4...
>I picked up a 4lb skirt steak tonight. I'll be cooking it tomorrow and
> making fajitas with it. I googled and found a ton of marinades for it but
> I am completely confused on marinating time. I've seen everything from 30
> minutes to 12 hours. I'm afraid it would be cooked after a 12 hour stint
> of marinating. I usually use flank steak but the skirt is less expensive
> and I've read it's about the same as flank. I do not want to ruin the
> meat. Any suggestions on marinade time? TIA.
>
> Michael
>
> --
> "I stayed up all night playing poker with tarot cards. I got a full house
> and four people died.
> -Steven Wright

Levelwave©

Dog3 wrote:

> I picked up a 4lb skirt steak tonight. I'll be cooking it tomorrow and
> making fajitas with it. I googled and found a ton of marinades for it but
> I am completely confused on marinating time. I've seen everything from 30
> minutes to 12 hours. I'm afraid it would be cooked after a 12 hour stint
> of marinating. I usually use flank steak but the skirt is less expensive
> and I've read it's about the same as flank. I do not want to ruin the
> meat. Any suggestions on marinade time? TIA.

Flank steak can withstand some pretty brutal marinating time... Not so
sure about Skirt Steak though. Dale's is my marinade of choice for Flank...

~john
Levelwave©

Dog3 wrote:

> I picked up a 4lb skirt steak tonight. I'll be cooking it tomorrow and
> making fajitas with it. I googled and found a ton of marinades for it but
> I am completely confused on marinating time. I've seen everything from 30
> minutes to 12 hours. I'm afraid it would be cooked after a 12 hour stint
> of marinating. I usually use flank steak but the skirt is less expensive
> and I've read it's about the same as flank. I do not want to ruin the
> meat. Any suggestions on marinade time? TIA.

Flank steak can withstand some pretty brutal marinating time... Not so
sure about Skirt Steak though. Dale's is my marinade of choice for Flank...

~john
SportKite1

>From: Dog3

>I picked up a 4lb skirt steak tonight.

Woo hoo...that's a hefty piece of meat. At the prices I pay for skirt steak
that would cost me close to $28.00.

My best results are to do a nice strong RUB using chili, cumin, oregano,
paprika, salt and pepper with some olive oil to slightly moisten. Marinate for
24 hours.

Two hours before grilliing - place skirt steak in a marinade of lime & orange
juice, tequilla, worchestershire or soy sauce, pureed garlic and a shot of
olive oil.

Grill over hot mesquite 5 minutes on each side. Slice thinly and serve with
grilled red/orange and or/yellow bell peppers plus sweet onions and strips of
fresh alapenos, refried beans, shaved cabbage with chipolte flavored oil
combined with a bit of sour cream...and plenty of grilled corn tortillas to
make tacos. Oh yeah, don't forget the guacamole and salsa fresca.

Ellen

SportKite1

>From: Dog3

>I picked up a 4lb skirt steak tonight.

Woo hoo...that's a hefty piece of meat. At the prices I pay for skirt steak
that would cost me close to $28.00.

My best results are to do a nice strong RUB using chili, cumin, oregano,
paprika, salt and pepper with some olive oil to slightly moisten. Marinate for
24 hours.

Two hours before grilliing - place skirt steak in a marinade of lime & orange
juice, tequilla, worchestershire or soy sauce, pureed garlic and a shot of
olive oil.

Grill over hot mesquite 5 minutes on each side. Slice thinly and serve with
grilled red/orange and or/yellow bell peppers plus sweet onions and strips of
fresh alapenos, refried beans, shaved cabbage with chipolte flavored oil
combined with a bit of sour cream...and plenty of grilled corn tortillas to
make tacos. Oh yeah, don't forget the guacamole and salsa fresca.

Ellen

MrAoD

Louis Cohen writes:

>Skirt steak is traditional for fajitas, before it became fashionable. My
>guess is that marinating time depends on acidity - a very acid marinade
>(lots of vinegar, citrus, etc.) would ruin thin cuts of meat overnight. If
>you use more oil and herbs and less vinegar, overnight would be fine.

What the man said. I'd marinate less than two hours in an acidic marinade.

If you're feeling adventurous, try two shots of tequila per pound of skirt
steak, some fajita spices (can be as simple as crushed garlic, oregano, chiles
and onions (I like scallions, white and green) or use a spice package) and a
quarter cup each of oil and OJ, with about two tbsp of lime juice.

I'm currently favoring blackening the whole pieces of meat in a skillet,
letting the meat rest and then slicing before serving.

A while back I was into slicing the meat before marinating cooking. Chacun son
gout.

Oh yeah, get some queso fresco and skip the Merkin abomination of sour cream as
a condiment.

Marc
>"Dog3" <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote in message
. 44...
>>I picked up a 4lb skirt steak tonight. I'll be cooking it tomorrow and
>> making fajitas with it. I googled and found a ton of marinades for it but
>> I am completely confused on marinating time. I've seen everything from 30
>> minutes to 12 hours. I'm afraid it would be cooked after a 12 hour stint
>> of marinating. I usually use flank steak but the skirt is less expensive
>> and I've read it's about the same as flank. I do not want to ruin the
>> meat. Any suggestions on marinade time? TIA.
>>
>> Michael
>>
>> --
>> "I stayed up all night playing poker with tarot cards. I got a full house
>> and four people died.
>> -Steven Wright

Kswck

"Dog3" <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote in message
4...
>I picked up a 4lb skirt steak tonight. I'll be cooking it tomorrow and
> making fajitas with it. I googled and found a ton of marinades for it but
> I am completely confused on marinating time. I've seen everything from 30
> minutes to 12 hours. I'm afraid it would be cooked after a 12 hour stint
> of marinating. I usually use flank steak but the skirt is less expensive
> and I've read it's about the same as flank. I do not want to ruin the
> meat. Any suggestions on marinade time? TIA.
>
> Michael

Depends if the marinade is oil based or vinegar based. The more vinegar in
the marinade, the less time to let it sit.

Jack Schidt®

"Dog3" <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote in message
4...
>I picked up a 4lb skirt steak tonight. I'll be cooking it tomorrow and
> making fajitas with it. I googled and found a ton of marinades for it but
> I am completely confused on marinating time. I've seen everything from 30
> minutes to 12 hours. I'm afraid it would be cooked after a 12 hour stint
> of marinating. I usually use flank steak but the skirt is less expensive
> and I've read it's about the same as flank. I do not want to ruin the
> meat. Any suggestions on marinade time? TIA.

Another option is not to marinate the meat but to just apply a dry rub and
grill it. Lately I've been grilling skirts using just salt and pepper.

Jack NoSoak

Jack Schidt®

"Dog3" <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote in message
4...
>I picked up a 4lb skirt steak tonight. I'll be cooking it tomorrow and
> making fajitas with it. I googled and found a ton of marinades for it but
> I am completely confused on marinating time. I've seen everything from 30
> minutes to 12 hours. I'm afraid it would be cooked after a 12 hour stint
> of marinating. I usually use flank steak but the skirt is less expensive
> and I've read it's about the same as flank. I do not want to ruin the
> meat. Any suggestions on marinade time? TIA.

Another option is not to marinate the meat but to just apply a dry rub and
grill it. Lately I've been grilling skirts using just salt and pepper.

Jack NoSoak

Rick & Cyndi

"Jack Schidt®" > wrote in message
news

> "Dog3" <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote in message
> 4...
>>I picked up a 4lb skirt steak tonight. I'll be cooking it tomorrow and
>> making fajitas with it. I googled and found a ton of marinades for it
>> but
>> I am completely confused on marinating time. I've seen everything from
>> 30
>> minutes to 12 hours. I'm afraid it would be cooked after a 12 hour stint
>> of marinating. I usually use flank steak but the skirt is less expensive
>> and I've read it's about the same as flank. I do not want to ruin the
>> meat. Any suggestions on marinade time? TIA.
>>

> Another option is not to marinate the meat but to just apply a dry rub and
> grill it. Lately I've been grilling skirts using just salt and pepper.
>
> Jack NoSoak
>==================

But why do steaks where skirts in the first place? Is it a fashion thing?
A Scotish thing...? What?

Rick & Cyndi

"Jack Schidt®" > wrote in message
news

> "Dog3" <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote in message
> 4...
>>I picked up a 4lb skirt steak tonight. I'll be cooking it tomorrow and
>> making fajitas with it. I googled and found a ton of marinades for it
>> but
>> I am completely confused on marinating time. I've seen everything from
>> 30
>> minutes to 12 hours. I'm afraid it would be cooked after a 12 hour stint
>> of marinating. I usually use flank steak but the skirt is less expensive
>> and I've read it's about the same as flank. I do not want to ruin the
>> meat. Any suggestions on marinade time? TIA.
>>

> Another option is not to marinate the meat but to just apply a dry rub and
> grill it. Lately I've been grilling skirts using just salt and pepper.
>
> Jack NoSoak
>==================

But why do steaks where skirts in the first place? Is it a fashion thing?
A Scotish thing...? What?

Bruce K.

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 13:21:12 GMT, "Rick & Cyndi"
> wrote:

>"Jack Schidt®" > wrote in message
>news
>>
>> "Dog3" <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote in message
>> 4...
>>>I picked up a 4lb skirt steak tonight. I'll be cooking it tomorrow and
>>> making fajitas with it. I googled and found a ton of marinades for it
>>> but
>>> I am completely confused on marinating time. I've seen everything from
>>> 30
>>> minutes to 12 hours. I'm afraid it would be cooked after a 12 hour stint
>>> of marinating. I usually use flank steak but the skirt is less expensive
>>> and I've read it's about the same as flank. I do not want to ruin the
>>> meat. Any suggestions on marinade time? TIA.
>>>

>> Another option is not to marinate the meat but to just apply a dry rub and
>> grill it. Lately I've been grilling skirts using just salt and pepper.
>>
>> Jack NoSoak
>>==================

>But why do steaks where skirts in the first place? Is it a fashion thing?
>A Scotish thing...? What?

Best Beef Steaks:

1. Skirt Steak

2. Rib Steak

3. Shell (New York Cut) Steak

4. Porterhouse (T-Bone) Steak

Just my opinion.

Bruce

Bruce K.

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 13:21:12 GMT, "Rick & Cyndi"
> wrote:

>"Jack Schidt®" > wrote in message
>news
>>
>> "Dog3" <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote in message
>> 4...
>>>I picked up a 4lb skirt steak tonight. I'll be cooking it tomorrow and
>>> making fajitas with it. I googled and found a ton of marinades for it
>>> but
>>> I am completely confused on marinating time. I've seen everything from
>>> 30
>>> minutes to 12 hours. I'm afraid it would be cooked after a 12 hour stint
>>> of marinating. I usually use flank steak but the skirt is less expensive
>>> and I've read it's about the same as flank. I do not want to ruin the
>>> meat. Any suggestions on marinade time? TIA.
>>>

>> Another option is not to marinate the meat but to just apply a dry rub and
>> grill it. Lately I've been grilling skirts using just salt and pepper.
>>
>> Jack NoSoak
>>==================

>But why do steaks where skirts in the first place? Is it a fashion thing?
>A Scotish thing...? What?

Best Beef Steaks:

1. Skirt Steak

2. Rib Steak

3. Shell (New York Cut) Steak

4. Porterhouse (T-Bone) Steak

Just my opinion.

Bruce

PENMART01

"Rick & Cyndi" rites:

>"Jack Schidt®" rote:
>>
>> "Dog3" rights:
>>
>>>I picked up a 4lb skirt steak tonight.
>>>Any suggestions on marinade time?

>> Another option is not to marinate the meat but to just apply a dry rub and
>> grill it. Lately I've been grilling skirts using just salt and pepper.
>>
>> Jack NoSoak

>But why do steaks where skirts in the first place?

Hehe, wasn't funny to begin with but then you absolutely murdered your little
jest... it's "wear".

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Andy

Dog3 <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote in
4:

> I picked up a 4lb skirt steak tonight. I'll be cooking it tomorrow
> and making fajitas with it. I googled and found a ton of marinades
> for it but I am completely confused on marinating time. I've seen
> everything from 30 minutes to 12 hours. I'm afraid it would be cooked
> after a 12 hour stint of marinating. I usually use flank steak but
> the skirt is less expensive and I've read it's about the same as
> flank. I do not want to ruin the meat. Any suggestions on marinade
> time? TIA.

Michael,

Looks like a nice cut of meat!

I've been on a tri-tip steak binge lately but will give that cut a try.
Flank steak has always been a favorite as well.

Andy

Andy

Dog3 <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote in
4:

> I picked up a 4lb skirt steak tonight. I'll be cooking it tomorrow
> and making fajitas with it. I googled and found a ton of marinades
> for it but I am completely confused on marinating time. I've seen
> everything from 30 minutes to 12 hours. I'm afraid it would be cooked
> after a 12 hour stint of marinating. I usually use flank steak but
> the skirt is less expensive and I've read it's about the same as
> flank. I do not want to ruin the meat. Any suggestions on marinade
> time? TIA.

Michael,

Looks like a nice cut of meat!

I've been on a tri-tip steak binge lately but will give that cut a try.
Flank steak has always been a favorite as well.

Andy

Melba's Jammin'

In article > , "Jack
Schidt®" > wrote:
> Another option is not to marinate the meat but to just apply a dry
> rub and grill it. Lately I've been grilling skirts using just salt
> and pepper.

> Jack NoSoak

Is the skirt a tough cut or a tender cut? I've a hispanic grocer nearby
with a meat counter - I'm tempted.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 11-10-04, The Butter Dish.
"There is no indigestion worse than that which comes from having
Melba's Jammin'

In article > , "Jack
Schidt®" > wrote:
> Another option is not to marinate the meat but to just apply a dry
> rub and grill it. Lately I've been grilling skirts using just salt
> and pepper.

> Jack NoSoak

Is the skirt a tough cut or a tender cut? I've a hispanic grocer nearby
with a meat counter - I'm tempted.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 11-10-04, The Butter Dish.
"There is no indigestion worse than that which comes from having
to eat your own words."
notbob

On 2004-11-10, Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> Is the skirt a tough cut or a tender cut? I've a hispanic grocer nearby
> with a meat counter - I'm tempted.

Barb, here's the definitive skirt steak page (IMO):

http://www.lomexicano.com/fajita.htm

Don't forget the margaritas!

nb
Rick & Cyndi

"PENMART01" > wrote in message
> "Rick & Cyndi" rites:
>>
>>"Jack Schidt®" rote:
>>>
>>> "Dog3" rights:

>>> Another option is not to marinate the meat but to just apply a dry rub
>>> and
>>> grill it. Lately I've been grilling skirts using just salt and pepper.
>>>
>>> Jack NoSoak

>>But why do steaks where skirts in the first place?

> Hehe, wasn't funny to begin with but then you absolutely murdered your
> little
> jest... it's "wear".
>
> ---= BOYCOTT FRANCE (belgium) GERMANY--SPAIN =---
> ---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
> *********
> "Life would be devoid of all meaning were it without tribulation."
> Sheldon
> `````==========

Yep. I know. It was way too early for me to be on the computer and I
wasn't paying attention... Bummer.

Rick & Cyndi

"Bruce K." > wrote in message
> On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 13:21:12 GMT, "Rick & Cyndi"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Jack Schidt®" > wrote in message
>>news
>>>
>>> "Dog3" <dognospam@adjfkdla;not> wrote in message
>>> 4...
>>>>

>>> Another option is not to marinate the meat but to just apply a dry rub
>>> and
>>> grill it. Lately I've been grilling skirts using just salt and pepper.
>>>
>>> Jack NoSoak
>>>==================

>>But why do steaks where skirts in the first place? Is it a fashion thing?
>>A Scotish thing...? What?

> Best Beef Steaks:
>
> 1. Skirt Steak
>
> 2. Rib Steak
>
> 3. Shell (New York Cut) Steak
>
> 4. Porterhouse (T-Bone) Steak
>
> Just my opinion.
>
> Bruce
>>

>===========

Oops... major grammar error - I was trying to make a joke and typed "where"
instead of "wear". Doh - kind or ruins the joke. Sorry.

Justice Gustine

Skirt Steak = Cow Vaginas

--
"If this is paradise, I wish I had a lawnmower"

Skirt steak substitute? Ravenlynne General Cooking 78 12-11-2009 06:32 PM
Skirt Steak Gunner[_6_] Mexican Cooking 1 19-03-2008 10:09 PM
Got skirt steak Bob General Cooking 8 19-08-2005 05:26 PM
FOUND: Skirt steak Andy General Cooking 5 13-08-2005 09:47 PM