Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Reuseable K Cups

K Cups are "pods," those things that a lot of coffee machines now accept
or use exclusively.

A while back, we got a few refillable K cups for my wife to use at work,
and she's been figuring out that how you put the coffee into them
matters, specifically that you have to tamp it down somewhat. If it's
loose in there, the water doesn't spend much time in contact with the
coffee grounds, and you get weak coffee and sometimes the inside of the
pod will actually seem dry because the water went pretty much straight
through it.

Anyone else find the same? Anyone else using reusable K cups and have
any observations to share? I home roast coffee, which was part of our
motivation for this, plus the single use pods are, in my eco-snob
opinion, a waste.

Thanks.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/29/14, 12:30 PM, Steve Freides wrote:
> .... she's been figuring out that how you put the coffee into them
> matters, specifically that you have to tamp it down somewhat....
>
> Anyone else find the same? Anyone else using reusable K cups and have
> any observations to share?

I don't use K-cups, but my wife does , in her office. I do use
refillable Capsul'in pods for my Nespresso, and yes, tamping firmly is
definitely required, as it is for any other espresso machine I've come
across. The Capsul'in pods come with a small plastic tamper sized
perfectly for the pods (shown he http://amzn.to/1lUBp7v.

You should be able to tamp firmly enough with anything of the
appropriate diameter, such as the smaller end of a used k-cup, or even
with a finger.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, May 29, 2014 9:30:17 AM UTC-7, Steve Freides wrote:
> K Cups are "pods," those things that a lot of coffee machines now accept
>
> or use exclusively.
>

> A while back, we got a few refillable K cups for my wife to use at work,
>
> and she's been figuring out that how you put the coffee into them
>
> matters, specifically that you have to tamp it down somewhat. If it's
>
> loose in there, the water doesn't spend much time in contact with the
>
> coffee grounds, and you get weak coffee and sometimes the inside of the
>
> pod will actually seem dry because the water went pretty much straight
>
> through it.
>

> Anyone else find the same? Anyone else using reusable K cups and have
>
> any observations to share? I home roast coffee, which was part of our
>
> motivation for this, plus the single use pods are, in my eco-snob
>
> opinion, a waste.
>

> Thanks.
>

> -S-

K-cups are a big waste of money.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/29/2014 12:30 PM, Steve Freides wrote:

> A while back, we got a few refillable K cups for my wife to use at work,
> and she's been figuring out that how you put the coffee into them
> matters, specifically that you have to tamp it down somewhat. If it's
> loose in there, the water doesn't spend much time in contact with the
> coffee grounds, and you get weak coffee and sometimes the inside of the
> pod will actually seem dry because the water went pretty much straight
> through it.
>
> Anyone else find the same? Anyone else using reusable K cups and have
> any observations to share? I home roast coffee, which was part of our
> motivation for this, plus the single use pods are, in my eco-snob
> opinion, a waste.

Never used them, but it makes perfect sense. You have to tamp down the
portafilter of an espresso machine for the same reason. You may also
want to play with the grind a bit and go finer for better extraction.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Thursday, May 29, 2014 10:47:29 AM UTC-7, Chemo wrote:

> K-cups are a big waste of money.

Not only are they a waste of money, they are a recycling nightmare.
Just more stuff that doesn't break down in landfills.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/29/2014 1:47 PM, Chemo wrote:

> K-cups are a big waste of money.

No shit. Do you think that is why he is using the refillable ones?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 29 May 2014 10:55:08 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

>On Thursday, May 29, 2014 10:47:29 AM UTC-7, Chemo wrote:
>
>> K-cups are a big waste of money.

>Not only are they a waste of money, they are a recycling nightmare.
>Just more stuff that doesn't break down in landfills.

Oh that is so specious and funny! Plastics break down! Just very
slowly and not into anything that Mother Nature can use right away!!

Would you trust a 20 year old plastic baby car seat? No! Why do you
think "they" say always buy a new baby car seat? Because the plastics
they are made from DO break down and get less structurally sound!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Freides" > wrote:
> K Cups are "pods," those things that a lot of coffee machines now accept
> or use exclusively.
>
> A while back, we got a few refillable K cups for my wife to use at work,
> and she's been figuring out that how you put the coffee into them
> matters, specifically that you have to tamp it down somewhat. If it's
> loose in there, the water doesn't spend much time in contact with the
> coffee grounds, and you get weak coffee and sometimes the inside of the
> pod will actually seem dry because the water went pretty much straight
> through it.
>
> Anyone else find the same? Anyone else using reusable K cups and have
> any observations to share? I home roast coffee, which was part of our
> motivation for this, plus the single use pods are, in my eco-snob
> opinion, a waste.
>
> Thanks.
>
> -S-

I hope they are BPA-free. I prefer either percolator coffee or French
press, and to me the French press seems easier than those k-cup machines.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 29 May 2014 12:30:17 -0400, "Steve Freides" >
wrote:

>K Cups are "pods," those things that a lot of coffee machines now accept
>or use exclusively.
>
>A while back, we got a few refillable K cups for my wife to use at work,
>and she's been figuring out that how you put the coffee into them
>matters, specifically that you have to tamp it down somewhat. If it's
>loose in there, the water doesn't spend much time in contact with the
>coffee grounds, and you get weak coffee and sometimes the inside of the
>pod will actually seem dry because the water went pretty much straight
>through it.
>
>Anyone else find the same? Anyone else using reusable K cups and have
>any observations to share? I home roast coffee, which was part of our
>motivation for this, plus the single use pods are, in my eco-snob
>opinion, a waste.
>
>Thanks.
>
>-S-

With my Keurig Coffee Maker I will grind one batch of coffee beans
medium grind in my Cusinart grinder, then just fill the reuseable
K-Cup Adapter up even with the top of the metal screen in the basket.
It tastes just as good as if I made a whole pot in my old twentieth
century coffee pot.

William
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/29/2014 6:30 AM, Steve Freides wrote:
> K Cups are "pods," those things that a lot of coffee machines now accept
> or use exclusively.
>
> A while back, we got a few refillable K cups for my wife to use at work,
> and she's been figuring out that how you put the coffee into them
> matters, specifically that you have to tamp it down somewhat. If it's
> loose in there, the water doesn't spend much time in contact with the
> coffee grounds, and you get weak coffee and sometimes the inside of the
> pod will actually seem dry because the water went pretty much straight
> through it.
>
> Anyone else find the same? Anyone else using reusable K cups and have
> any observations to share? I home roast coffee, which was part of our
> motivation for this, plus the single use pods are, in my eco-snob
> opinion, a waste.
>
> Thanks.
>
> -S-

I've used the Keurig fill your own cartridge. They don't work very well
at all. My suggestion is that you try using the finest grind of coffee
you can get. If that doesn't make a good cup, you could try tamping it
down a little. There is some danger of clogging the nylon mesh and
bypassing the grounds altogether.

There's lots of info on the internet on how to refill the K-cup cart. I
guess that would give folks with extra time on their hands and a love of
crafting a little diversion.

We love our Keurig. It's totally boss! Costco is selling their Kirkland
dark roast for $29.99 for a hundred K-cups. I can calculate what each
one costs as soon as I find a calculator app for my phone.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, May 29, 2014 2:54:14 PM UTC-7, dsi1 wrote:
> On 5/29/2014 6:30 AM, Steve Freides wrote:
>
> > K Cups are "pods," those things that a lot of coffee machines now accept

> > or use exclusively.

> > A while back, we got a few refillable K cups for my wife to use at work,

> > and she's been figuring out that how you put the coffee into them

> > matters, specifically that you have to tamp it down somewhat. If it's

> > loose in there, the water doesn't spend much time in contact with the

> > coffee grounds, and you get weak coffee and sometimes the inside of the

> > pod will actually seem dry because the water went pretty much straight

> > through it.

> > Anyone else find the same? Anyone else using reusable K cups and have

> > any observations to share? I home roast coffee, which was part of our

> > motivation for this, plus the single use pods are, in my eco-snob

> > opinion, a waste.

> > Thanks.

> > -S-

> I've used the Keurig fill your own cartridge. They don't work very well
>
> at all. My suggestion is that you try using the finest grind of coffee
>
> you can get. If that doesn't make a good cup, you could try tamping it
>
> down a little. There is some danger of clogging the nylon mesh and
>
> bypassing the grounds altogether.
>

> There's lots of info on the internet on how to refill the K-cup cart. I
>
> guess that would give folks with extra time on their hands and a love of
>
> crafting a little diversion.
>

> We love our Keurig. It's totally boss! Costco is selling their Kirkland
>
> dark roast for $29.99 for a hundred K-cups. I can calculate what each
>
> one costs as soon as I find a calculator app for my phone.

You need a caculator to figure that out? Good grief....didn't you learn any math? .2999 each!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, May 29, 2014 4:16:53 PM UTC-4, Oregonian Haruspex wrote:
> "Steve Freides" > wrote:
>
> > K Cups are "pods," those things that a lot of coffee machines now accept

> > or use exclusively.

> > A while back, we got a few refillable K cups for my wife to use at work,

> > and she's been figuring out that how you put the coffee into them

> > matters, specifically that you have to tamp it down somewhat. If it's

> > loose in there, the water doesn't spend much time in contact with the

> > coffee grounds, and you get weak coffee and sometimes the inside of the

> > pod will actually seem dry because the water went pretty much straight

> > through it.

> > Anyone else find the same? Anyone else using reusable K cups and have

> > any observations to share? I home roast coffee, which was part of our

> > motivation for this, plus the single use pods are, in my eco-snob

> > opinion, a waste.

> > Thanks.

> > -S-

> I hope they are BPA-free. I prefer either percolator coffee or French
>
> press, and to me the French press seems easier than those k-cup machines.

I'm with you. I own two Frenchies - one for reg, one for decaf. I get about 60 cups of coffee out of a 12 oz. bag of beans. Try THAT, K-cups. Plus, with the Frenchie, I can regulate the heat of the water, the fineness of the grind, the amt of coffee and so on.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/29/2014 1:42 PM, Chemo wrote:

> You need a caculator to figure that out? Good grief....didn't you learn any math? .2999 each!!

I'm testing to see if there are any ASD guys out there. Congratulations,
you're our lucky winner! :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:

>I'm with you. I own two Frenchies. Try THAT, K-cups.
>Plus, with the Frenchie, I can regulate the heat.

K cups are wonderful:

http://img.tjskl.org.cn/nimg/6f/2b/c...for_ladies.jpg
http://www.boobpedia.com/boobs/Category:K_cup
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>K Cups are "pods," those things that a lot of coffee machines now accept
>or use exclusively.

Damn. You had me very interested there, with that subject heading.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-05-29 23:43:08 +0000, Kalmia said:

> On Thursday, May 29, 2014 4:16:53 PM UTC-4, Oregonian Haruspex wrote:
>> "Steve Freides" > wrote:
>>
>>> K Cups are "pods," those things that a lot of coffee machines now
>>> accept>> > or use exclusively.

>>> A while back, we got a few refillable K cups for my wife to use at
>>> work,>> > and she's been figuring out that how you put the coffee into
>>> them>> > matters, specifically that you have to tamp it down somewhat.
>>> If it's>> > loose in there, the water doesn't spend much time in
>>> contact with the>> > coffee grounds, and you get weak coffee and
>>> sometimes the inside of the>> > pod will actually seem dry because the
>>> water went pretty much straight>> > through it.

>>> Anyone else find the same? Anyone else using reusable K cups and
>>> have>> > any observations to share? I home roast coffee, which was
>>> part of our>> > motivation for this, plus the single use pods are, in
>>> my eco-snob>> > opinion, a waste.

>>> Thanks.

>>> -S-

>> I hope they are BPA-free. I prefer either percolator coffee or French
>>
>> press, and to me the French press seems easier than those k-cup machines.

> I'm with you. I own two Frenchies - one for reg, one for decaf. I get
> about 60 cups of coffee out of a 12 oz. bag of beans. Try THAT,
> K-cups. Plus, with the Frenchie, I can regulate the heat of the water,
> the fineness of the grind, the amt of coffee and so on.

K-cups are one step from Soylent.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/29/2014 4:07 PM, Jeßus wrote:
> On Thu, 29 May 2014 12:30:17 -0400, "Steve Freides" >
> wrote:
>
>> K Cups are "pods," those things that a lot of coffee machines now accept
>> or use exclusively.

> Damn. You had me very interested there, with that subject heading.

I think he's talking about a Keurig product called "My K-Cup" or
something similar to that. The Keurig product is refillable and
reusable. It won't work in all Keurig coffee makers because you need one
with a removable cup holder. I never could get my "My K-Cup" coffee
filter to work. The mesh filter was also hard to clean. It's pretty much
a fail.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 > wrote:
> On 5/29/2014 4:07 PM, Jeßus wrote:
>> On Thu, 29 May 2014 12:30:17 -0400, "Steve Freides" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> K Cups are "pods," those things that a lot of coffee machines now accept
>>> or use exclusively.

>> Damn. You had me very interested there, with that subject heading.
>>

> I think he's talking about a Keurig product called "My K-Cup" or
> something similar to that. The Keurig product is refillable and reusable.
> It won't work in all Keurig coffee makers because you need one with a
> removable cup holder. I never could get my "My K-Cup" coffee filter to
> work. The mesh filter was also hard to clean. It's pretty much a fail.

Yeah but look on the bright side: the Keurig company can sell stale coffee
that tastes like plastic to idiots for $100 a pound, and they just keep
buying more!

PT Barnum would have something to say about Keurig.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 29 May 2014 22:45:28 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

>On 5/29/2014 4:07 PM, Jeßus wrote:
>> On Thu, 29 May 2014 12:30:17 -0400, "Steve Freides" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> K Cups are "pods," those things that a lot of coffee machines now accept
>>> or use exclusively.

>> Damn. You had me very interested there, with that subject heading.
>>

>I think he's talking about a Keurig product called "My K-Cup" or
>something similar to that. The Keurig product is refillable and
>reusable. It won't work in all Keurig coffee makers because you need one
>with a removable cup holder. I never could get my "My K-Cup" coffee
>filter to work. The mesh filter was also hard to clean. It's pretty much
>a fail.

Yup. I was just being facetious
I'd never use those pod things in a million years. They just don't
have any advantages for me, only disadvantages.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 30 May 2014 08:49:14 +0000 (UTC), Oregonian Haruspex
> wrote:

>dsi1 > wrote:
>> On 5/29/2014 4:07 PM, Jeßus wrote:

>>> Damn. You had me very interested there, with that subject heading.
>>>

>> I think he's talking about a Keurig product called "My K-Cup" or
>> something similar to that. The Keurig product is refillable and reusable.
>> It won't work in all Keurig coffee makers because you need one with a
>> removable cup holder. I never could get my "My K-Cup" coffee filter to
>> work. The mesh filter was also hard to clean. It's pretty much a fail.

>Yeah but look on the bright side: the Keurig company can sell stale coffee
>that tastes like plastic to idiots for $100 a pound, and they just keep
>buying more!
>
>PT Barnum would have something to say about Keurig.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jeßus" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 29 May 2014 22:45:28 -1000, dsi1
> > wrote:
>
>>On 5/29/2014 4:07 PM, Jeßus wrote:

>>> Damn. You had me very interested there, with that subject heading.
>>>

>>I think he's talking about a Keurig product called "My K-Cup" or
>>something similar to that. The Keurig product is refillable and
>>reusable. It won't work in all Keurig coffee makers because you need one
>>with a removable cup holder. I never could get my "My K-Cup" coffee
>>filter to work. The mesh filter was also hard to clean. It's pretty much
>>a fail.

> Yup. I was just being facetious
> I'd never use those pod things in a million years. They just don't
> have any advantages for me, only disadvantages.

I nearly bought one. The saleswoman was soooo persuasive that I took one
from her (we were in the wholesalers) and I came to my senses before I
reached the check out <g> I just parked it on a shelf. When we reached
the check out I saw her heading in our direction and felt really guilty LOL
not sure what I was thinking she might do)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/29/2014 10:49 PM, Oregonian Haruspex wrote:

> Yeah but look on the bright side: the Keurig company can sell stale coffee
> that tastes like plastic to idiots for $100 a pound, and they just keep
> buying more!
>
> PT Barnum would have something to say about Keurig.

PT Barnum never used a Keurig. I have no idea what you mean by stale
coffee. The reality is that the world is awash with shitty tasting
coffee but I've never had a bad cup from a Keurig brewer. Do you have
any experience with one of these machines?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/29/2014 11:00 PM, Jeßus wrote:

> Yup. I was just being facetious
> I'd never use those pod things in a million years. They just don't
> have any advantages for me, only disadvantages.

It all depends on your coffee drinking habits at home. When I had a
standard brewer, I'd be dumping the coffee down the drain because it
would be sitting on the hot pad for too long and get funky and black. We
don't waste any coffee because we can make each cup fresh and it's a
consistently good cup. It never sits in a pot. Is it worth less than $25
a month to always have a fresh brewed cup of coffee whenever we want?
You bet! With a 100 K-Cup box at 30 cents each, you're talking less than
$15 a month.

OTOH, the brewer is an expensive appliance and my previous Keurig died
of a malfunctioning water pump system. As far as I know, the water
metering system failing is a common problem with these machines. If the
one I have now craps out, I probably won't replace it. I ought to give
up drinking coffee anyway. As for now, I will enjoy myself while I still
can.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/30/2014 5:53 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> It all depends on your coffee drinking habits at home. When I had a
> standard brewer, I'd be dumping the coffee down the drain because it
> would be sitting on the hot pad for too long and get funky and black. We
> don't waste any coffee because we can make each cup fresh and it's a
> consistently good cup. It never sits in a pot. Is it worth less than $25
> a month to always have a fresh brewed cup of coffee whenever we want?
> You bet! With a 100 K-Cup box at 30 cents each, you're talking less than
> $15 a month.
>
> OTOH, the brewer is an expensive appliance and my previous Keurig died
> of a malfunctioning water pump system. As far as I know, the water
> metering system failing is a common problem with these machines. If the
> one I have now craps out, I probably won't replace it. I ought to give
> up drinking coffee anyway. As for now, I will enjoy myself while I still
> can.

I make coffee one cup at a time, using an electric kettle and a cone
placed over a mug. Inexpensive, takes up very little space, fast, and fresh.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, May 30, 2014 4:49:14 AM UTC-4, Oregonian Haruspex wrote:
> Yeah but look on the bright side: the Keurig company can sell stale >coffee that tastes like plastic to idiots for $100 a pound, and they >just keep buying more!

I have over 2,000 points at Keurig.com
1 point per cup purchased online. The Folgers is pretty good.

I use the refillable cup also. It works decent with a finer grind.
For the refillable and French press I buy Sumatra whole bean.
Workdays it's K Cup, days off it's 'real' coffee.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/29/14, 7:43 PM, Kalmia wrote:

> Oregonian Haruspex wrote:
>> I prefer either percolator coffee or French press, and to me the French press seems easier than those k-cup machines.

Well, the liking for percolator coffee disqualifies you from any sane
discussion.

> I'm with you. I own two Frenchies - one for reg, one for decaf. I get about 60 cups of coffee out of a 12 oz. bag of beans. Try THAT, K-cups.

The point of K-cups or Nespresso pods is convenience, not making the
ultimate quality coffee.

> Plus, with the Frenchie, I can regulate the heat of the water, the

fineness of the grind, the amt of coffee and so on.

That's all true, but you shouldn't need to adjust water temp -- there is
a proven optimum brewing temp, 204 deg. F.

And again, the whole point of pods is convenience. With my Nespresso, I
switch it on, and it's ready to brew in 25 seconds; it has completed
brewing in less than another 30 seconds. (That timing is attainable even
with refillable pods.)

That's under one minute from deciding to have coffee, to sitting down
with a decent cup. By then, your water hasn't even come to a boil, let
alone brewed for 3-4 minutes.

Which is why my Gaggia Classic, Jura E750 espresso machine, French press
pots, etc. are mostly collecting dust these days...

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/30/2014 2:39 AM, S Viemeister wrote:
> I make coffee one cup at a time, using an electric kettle and a cone
> placed over a mug. Inexpensive, takes up very little space, fast, and
> fresh.

This sounds reasonable. We're not a electric kettle kind of family but I
guess we could be when we get older.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 30 May 2014 06:59:48 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

> On 5/30/2014 2:39 AM, S Viemeister wrote:
> > I make coffee one cup at a time, using an electric kettle and a cone
> > placed over a mug. Inexpensive, takes up very little space, fast, and
> > fresh.

> This sounds reasonable. We're not a electric kettle kind of family but I
> guess we could be when we get older.

Those electric kettles are easy to get used to when you're traveling.
I don't own one, but due to comments I've seen here in the past - I
don't think the electric kettles we buy here in the USA would heat
water as fast as those in Europe and China do.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/30/2014 1:34 PM, sf wrote:

> Those electric kettles are easy to get used to when you're traveling.
> I don't own one, but due to comments I've seen here in the past - I
> don't think the electric kettles we buy here in the USA would heat
> water as fast as those in Europe and China do.

That is what makes them so popular overseas. For a single cup, I can
heat water just as fast in the microwave as in a US version electric
kettle.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, May 30, 2014 7:34:50 AM UTC-10, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 30 May 2014 06:59:48 -1000, dsi1
>
> > wrote:
>

> > On 5/30/2014 2:39 AM, S Viemeister wrote:

> > > I make coffee one cup at a time, using an electric kettle and a cone

> > > placed over a mug. Inexpensive, takes up very little space, fast, and

> > > fresh.

> > This sounds reasonable. We're not a electric kettle kind of family but I

> > guess we could be when we get older.

> Those electric kettles are easy to get used to when you're traveling.
>
> I don't own one, but due to comments I've seen here in the past - I
>
> don't think the electric kettles we buy here in the USA would heat
>
> water as fast as those in Europe and China do.

Boy I sure wish I had 220 volts available at my receptacle. I could make toast in half the time. :-) The electric kettles seem to be popular in countries that drink a lot of tea. What's popular in Japan is a tall, insulated, kettle that despenses hot water with a manual pump.

Oddly enough, the chai latte K-Cup is just alright with me.

> --
>

> Good Food.
>
> Good Friends.
>
> Good Memories.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/30/2014 1:34 PM, sf wrote:

> Those electric kettles are easy to get used to when you're traveling.
> I don't own one, but due to comments I've seen here in the past - I
> don't think the electric kettles we buy here in the USA would heat
> water as fast as those in Europe and China do.

You're right, they don't - but they're still faster than a stovetop
kettle. We had a five day power outage last year, and I had to use my
stovetop kettle - it seemed to take forever, compared to the electric one.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-05-30 13:38:59 +0000, pltrgyst said:

> On 5/29/14, 7:43 PM, Kalmia wrote:
>
>> Oregonian Haruspex wrote:
>>> I prefer either percolator coffee or French press, and to me the French
>>> press seems easier than those k-cup machines.

> Well, the liking for percolator coffee disqualifies you from any sane
> discussion.
>
>> I'm with you. I own two Frenchies - one for reg, one for decaf. I get
>> about 60 cups of coffee out of a 12 oz. bag of beans. Try THAT, K-cups.

> The point of K-cups or Nespresso pods is convenience, not making the
> ultimate quality coffee.
>
> > Plus, with the Frenchie, I can regulate the heat of the water, the

> fineness of the grind, the amt of coffee and so on.
>
> That's all true, but you shouldn't need to adjust water temp -- there
> is a proven optimum brewing temp, 204 deg. F.
>
> And again, the whole point of pods is convenience. With my Nespresso, I
> switch it on, and it's ready to brew in 25 seconds; it has completed
> brewing in less than another 30 seconds. (That timing is attainable
> even with refillable pods.)
>
> That's under one minute from deciding to have coffee, to sitting down
> with a decent cup. By then, your water hasn't even come to a boil, let
> alone brewed for 3-4 minutes.
>
> Which is why my Gaggia Classic, Jura E750 espresso machine, French
> press pots, etc. are mostly collecting dust these days...
>
> -- Larry

Good coffee takes a little time. How long does it really take to make
a French press? Must we treat something that is supposed to be
enjoyable like an instant drug? Heck even people who freebase and
inject hard drugs take a couple minutes to prepare them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-05-30 13:35:56 +0000, Thomas said:

> On Friday, May 30, 2014 4:49:14 AM UTC-4, Oregonian Haruspex wrote:
>> Yeah but look on the bright side: the Keurig company can sell stale
>> >coffee that tastes like plastic to idiots for $100 a pound, and they
>> >just keep buying more!

> I have over 2,000 points at Keurig.com
> 1 point per cup purchased online. The Folgers is pretty good.
>
> I use the refillable cup also. It works decent with a finer grind.
> For the refillable and French press I buy Sumatra whole bean.
> Workdays it's K Cup, days off it's 'real' coffee.

I'll give you 30 liver points if you throw away your Keurig and 1 liver
point per cup of coffee that you brew in an traditional way (excepting
drip). Once you have 500 liver points I will mail you your choice of 1
pound of calf, pig, or chicken livers. You can redeem on the honor
system, but I will require video of you throwing your Keurig away
including verification of your driver's license so I know where to mail
the livers.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-05-30 09:13:34 +0000, Ophelia said:

> "Jeßus" > wrote in message
>> On Thu, 29 May 2014 22:45:28 -1000, dsi1
>> > wrote:

>>> I think he's talking about a Keurig product called "My K-Cup" or
>>> something similar to that. The Keurig product is refillable and
>>> reusable. It won't work in all Keurig coffee makers because you need one
>>> with a removable cup holder. I never could get my "My K-Cup" coffee
>>> filter to work. The mesh filter was also hard to clean. It's pretty much
>>> a fail.

>> Yup. I was just being facetious
>> I'd never use those pod things in a million years. They just don't
>> have any advantages for me, only disadvantages.

> I nearly bought one. The saleswoman was soooo persuasive that I took
> one from her (we were in the wholesalers) and I came to my senses
> before I reached the check out <g> I just parked it on a shelf. When
> we reached the check out I saw her heading in our direction and felt
> really guilty LOL not sure what I was thinking she might do)

Last time I was at Sur le Table here in Portland, a lady tried to sell
me BOTH a Keurig and a Soda Stream. I told her that I don't drink soda
and that I don't like plastic flavored coffee, and she actually frowned
at me and bustled away. What a silly bint.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-05-29 21:35:23 +0000, William said:

> On Thu, 29 May 2014 12:30:17 -0400, "Steve Freides" >
> wrote:
>
>> K Cups are "pods," those things that a lot of coffee machines now accept
>> or use exclusively.
>>
>> A while back, we got a few refillable K cups for my wife to use at work,
>> and she's been figuring out that how you put the coffee into them
>> matters, specifically that you have to tamp it down somewhat. If it's
>> loose in there, the water doesn't spend much time in contact with the
>> coffee grounds, and you get weak coffee and sometimes the inside of the
>> pod will actually seem dry because the water went pretty much straight
>> through it.
>>
>> Anyone else find the same? Anyone else using reusable K cups and have
>> any observations to share? I home roast coffee, which was part of our
>> motivation for this, plus the single use pods are, in my eco-snob
>> opinion, a waste.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> -S-
>>

> With my Keurig Coffee Maker I will grind one batch of coffee beans
> medium grind in my Cusinart grinder, then just fill the reuseable
> K-Cup Adapter up even with the top of the metal screen in the basket.
> It tastes just as good as if I made a whole pot in my old twentieth
> century coffee pot.
>
> William

Or you could just, you know, make a small pot of coffee in a normal
sized coffee maker. Or a full pot of coffee in a small coffee maker.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

pltrgyst wrote:

> On 5/29/14, 7:43 PM, Kalmia wrote:
>
> > Oregonian Haruspex wrote:
> >> I prefer either percolator coffee or French press, and to me the French press seems easier than those k-cup machines.

> Well, the liking for percolator coffee disqualifies you from any sane
> discussion.

I broke my glass French Press a while ago. Today I went to Walmart for
the first time in 2 years. Two aisles of coffee machine things, and no
French Press. ;-( Guess I'll have to goto a dedicated cooking supply
store.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/30/2014 6:00 PM, Gary wrote:
> I broke my glass French Press a while ago. Today I went to Walmart for
> the first time in 2 years. Two aisles of coffee machine things, and no
> French Press. ;-( Guess I'll have to goto a dedicated cooking supply
> store.

Or you could try Amazon -
<http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_n_1?rh=n%3A289749%2Ck%3Acafetiere&keywor ds=cafetiere&ie=UTF8&qid=1401488937&rnid=294112001 1>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 30 May 2014 10:13:34 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>I nearly bought one. The saleswoman was soooo persuasive that I took one
>from her (we were in the wholesalers) and I came to my senses before I
>reached the check out <g> I just parked it on a shelf. When we reached
>the check out I saw her heading in our direction and felt really guilty LOL
>not sure what I was thinking she might do)

I've done that before - changing my mind before I got to the checkout.
Don't think I've ever regretted it either.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 29 May 2014 23:53:40 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

>On 5/29/2014 11:00 PM, Jeßus wrote:
>>
>> Yup. I was just being facetious
>> I'd never use those pod things in a million years. They just don't
>> have any advantages for me, only disadvantages.
>>

>It all depends on your coffee drinking habits at home. When I had a
>standard brewer, I'd be dumping the coffee down the drain because it
>would be sitting on the hot pad for too long and get funky and black. We
>don't waste any coffee because we can make each cup fresh and it's a
>consistently good cup. It never sits in a pot. Is it worth less than $25
>a month to always have a fresh brewed cup of coffee whenever we want?
>You bet! With a 100 K-Cup box at 30 cents each, you're talking less than
>$15 a month.

Fair enough, it is more convenient that way.

Myself, I'd rather grind my beans as I need them. I also use an
Espresso machine and not a drip system, so no wastage there.
And I'd rather not be locked into a system that forces you to buy pods
in order to make coffee. I would also argue that the coffee itself
cannot be particularly fresh, using pods.

>OTOH, the brewer is an expensive appliance and my previous Keurig died
>of a malfunctioning water pump system. As far as I know, the water
>metering system failing is a common problem with these machines. If the
>one I have now craps out, I probably won't replace it.

I went for a Rancilio machine, as it is all brass and stainless steel,
built to a commercial standard. I only paid $500 for it second hand
nearly 6 years ago and still as good as the day I bought it. I make on
average two double lattes each morning, so that means I've made at
least 4300 coffees (mostly lattes) so far... wow I can buy any part
I need for it as well, if need be.

>I ought to give
>up drinking coffee anyway. As for now, I will enjoy myself while I still
>can.

I have NO plans on giving up coffee, perish the thought!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/30/2014 1:49 PM, Jeßus wrote:
> On Thu, 29 May 2014 23:53:40 -1000, dsi1
> > wrote:
>
>> On 5/29/2014 11:00 PM, Jeßus wrote:
>>>
>>> Yup. I was just being facetious
>>> I'd never use those pod things in a million years. They just don't
>>> have any advantages for me, only disadvantages.
>>>

>> It all depends on your coffee drinking habits at home. When I had a
>> standard brewer, I'd be dumping the coffee down the drain because it
>> would be sitting on the hot pad for too long and get funky and black. We
>> don't waste any coffee because we can make each cup fresh and it's a
>> consistently good cup. It never sits in a pot. Is it worth less than $25
>> a month to always have a fresh brewed cup of coffee whenever we want?
>> You bet! With a 100 K-Cup box at 30 cents each, you're talking less than
>> $15 a month.

> Fair enough, it is more convenient that way.
>
> Myself, I'd rather grind my beans as I need them. I also use an
> Espresso machine and not a drip system, so no wastage there.
> And I'd rather not be locked into a system that forces you to buy pods
> in order to make coffee. I would also argue that the coffee itself
> cannot be particularly fresh, using pods.

I haven't had any problem with stale coffee. I can taste oxidized coffee
right off that bat. I do not like funny tasting coffee. My assumption is
that the K-Cups are filled with nitrogen which is why this doesn't happen.

>> OTOH, the brewer is an expensive appliance and my previous Keurig died
>> of a malfunctioning water pump system. As far as I know, the water
>> metering system failing is a common problem with these machines. If the
>> one I have now craps out, I probably won't replace it.

> I went for a Rancilio machine, as it is all brass and stainless steel,
> built to a commercial standard. I only paid $500 for it second hand
> nearly 6 years ago and still as good as the day I bought it. I make on
> average two double lattes each morning, so that means I've made at
> least 4300 coffees (mostly lattes) so far... wow I can buy any part
> I need for it as well, if need be.

A commercial coffee maker is a neat thing. A commercial anything is a
neat thing. I'm just not that into coffee.

>> I ought to give
>> up drinking coffee anyway. As for now, I will enjoy myself while I still
>> can.

> I have NO plans on giving up coffee, perish the thought!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll drink the stuff but if it affects my heart, we're through. This
happened to me before and I quit for a while. These days, I limit my
intake.

K Cups Brooklyn1 General Cooking 2 01-09-2016 01:47 PM
Reuseable K Cups, Part Deux Steve Freides[_2_] General Cooking 0 05-06-2014 03:45 PM
Reuseable K-Cup Steve Freides[_2_] General Cooking 13 24-09-2013 03:32 PM
Seven cups tea Mark[_8_] Tea 2 02-01-2009 03:13 PM
Tea cups koko General Cooking 31 29-08-2008 06:16 PM