Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Preference for Carbon Steel over Stainless Steel

When looking to buy a wok, even in the Posh Chinese supermarkets they are
all Carbon Steel. I know I can easily buy a stainless steel or non-stick
coated ones in department stores.

But since the Chinese are the masters of the wok, i wonder if there is a
reason in terms of their use and convenience for this *preference* for
carbon steel ?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"T Blake" wrote:

>When looking to buy a wok, even in the Posh Chinese supermarkets they are
>all Carbon Steel. I know I can easily buy a stainless steel or non-stick
>coated ones in department stores.
>
>But since the Chinese are the masters of the wok, i wonder if there is a
>reason in terms of their use and convenience for this *preference* for
>carbon steel ?

Non-Stick can't get hot enough without destroying the non-stick
coating. Stainless steel works fine but simply costs more is all.
There are also hammered iron woks and cast iron woks.
I don't use a wok, for the oriental concoctions I cook a heavy
stainless steel sauce pot works fine, and never loses its seasoning.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 27 May 2014 11:26:21 +0100, "T Blake" >
wrote:

>When looking to buy a wok, even in the Posh Chinese supermarkets they are
>all Carbon Steel. I know I can easily buy a stainless steel or non-stick
>coated ones in department stores.
>
>But since the Chinese are the masters of the wok, i wonder if there is a
>reason in terms of their use and convenience for this *preference* for
>carbon steel ?

Adding carbon to iron and making "carbon steel" was the first
metallurgical technological advancement over more pure iron that was
mace by people thousands of years ago. The term "carbon steel" stuck
as being a higher quality steel, that's all.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-05-27, T Blake > wrote:

> But since the Chinese are the masters of the wok, i wonder if there is a
> reason in terms of their use and convenience for this *preference* for
> carbon steel ?

Go to yer library and check out The Breath of a Wok, a book dedicated
to the mythos of the classic carbon steel wok. It covers all that
how/when/why stuff in detail with a heavy dose of nostalgic reverie
thrown in. Then, make up yer own mind.

I have a 14" carbon steal wok with a perpendicular wooden pan handle
on one side and a helper handle (sqr loop) on the other. The only
thing I would change is to remove the wood grip in the helper handle,
as it's gonna get burned, anyway. Is it better or worse than a SS or
cast-iron or even a hand-hammered wok? Damned if I know.

What is really important when comes to cooking with a wok is the heat
source. I don't care if you have a nat gas/propane stove or an
oversized electric hob or any of that stuff. None of it is hot
enough. I use my wok on my turkey fryer burner, which is 5X-10X
hotter than any kitchen stove and I still wish it was hotter.
Commercial wok burners have an adjustable foot fuel pedal the cook can
step on to immediately supercharge the burner flame and keep the wok
at high stir-fry temps when dumping in a buncha food. Otherwise you
gotta toss in smaller amts of food or wait for the wok to get back up
to s/f speed.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/27/2014 9:27 AM, notbob wrote:

> I have a 14" carbon steal wok with a perpendicular wooden pan handle
> on one side and a helper handle (sqr loop) on the other. The only
> thing I would change is to remove the wood grip in the helper handle,
> as it's gonna get burned, anyway. Is it better or worse than a SS or
> cast-iron or even a hand-hammered wok? Damned if I know.

I have one just like that. Bought it 25 years ago and it's ugly as sin
but it cooks perfectly. Helper handle never did get burned. It was
used on natural gas then two propane fueled stoves and now on the
electric smooth-top where it's not supposed to work, but it does just
fine. :-)

I think stainless steel will stay pretty longer.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

---

Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Blake View Post
When looking to buy a wok, even in the Posh Chinese supermarkets they are
all Carbon Steel. I know I can easily buy a stainless steel or non-stick
coated ones in department stores.

But since the Chinese are the masters of the wok, i wonder if there is a
reason in terms of their use and convenience for this *preference* for
carbon steel ?
I dont mess with many woks but have owned enough pots and pans to know SS is a real poor heat conductor but maybe no more so than regular old carbon steel which suffers from the same bad habits. Copper or Aluminum has much better heat transfer characteristics. If I wanted a good wok I would spring for a hard anodized aluminum model.
Amazon.com: anodized aluminum wok: Home & Kitchen
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/27/2014 12:26 AM, T Blake wrote:
> When looking to buy a wok, even in the Posh Chinese supermarkets they are
> all Carbon Steel. I know I can easily buy a stainless steel or non-stick
> coated ones in department stores.
>
> But since the Chinese are the masters of the wok, i wonder if there is a
> reason in terms of their use and convenience for this *preference* for
> carbon steel ?

My guess is that the non-stick ones are made of aluminum. I'd stay away
from woks made of aluminum. You need to be able to get the pan up to
high heat which would really mess up aluminum and non-stick coatings.

I've never seen a stainless steel wok so I don't have anything to
mention about that. The carbon steel woks will develop a hard black
non-stick coating with use and proper cleaning. The great thing about a
wok is that it only takes a few seconds to clean one. When picking a
wok, I'd get a heavy one with a smoother finish.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/27/2014 11:59 AM, dsi1 wrote:

> I've never seen a stainless steel wok so I don't have anything to
> mention about that. The carbon steel woks will develop a hard black
> non-stick coating with use and proper cleaning.

Yes! That is why I say my ancient carbon steel wok is "ugly"

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 27 May 2014 09:46:38 -0500, Janet Wilder >
wrote:

>On 5/27/2014 9:27 AM, notbob wrote:
>
>> I have a 14" carbon steal wok with a perpendicular wooden pan handle
>> on one side and a helper handle (sqr loop) on the other. The only
>> thing I would change is to remove the wood grip in the helper handle,
>> as it's gonna get burned, anyway. Is it better or worse than a SS or
>> cast-iron or even a hand-hammered wok? Damned if I know.

>I have one just like that. Bought it 25 years ago and it's ugly as sin
>but it cooks perfectly. Helper handle never did get burned. It was
>used on natural gas then two propane fueled stoves and now on the
>electric smooth-top where it's not supposed to work, but it does just
>fine. :-)
>
>I think stainless steel will stay pretty longer.

I don't care about pretty, I use SS because I don't have to concern
myself with preserving the seasoning, acetic foods have no effect on
properly seasoned SS.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/27/2014 8:26 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 5/27/2014 11:59 AM, dsi1 wrote:
>
>> I've never seen a stainless steel wok so I don't have anything to
>> mention about that. The carbon steel woks will develop a hard black
>> non-stick coating with use and proper cleaning.

> Yes! That is why I say my ancient carbon steel wok is "ugly"

Black is beautiful baby!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 27 May 2014 10:22:20 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

> On 5/27/2014 8:26 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> > On 5/27/2014 11:59 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> >
> >> I've never seen a stainless steel wok so I don't have anything to
> >> mention about that. The carbon steel woks will develop a hard black
> >> non-stick coating with use and proper cleaning.

> > Yes! That is why I say my ancient carbon steel wok is "ugly"
> >

> Black is beautiful baby!

It's no uglier than a cast iron pan.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/27/2014 10:24 AM, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 27 May 2014 10:22:20 -1000, dsi1
> > wrote:

>>> Yes! That is why I say my ancient carbon steel wok is "ugly"
>>>

>> Black is beautiful baby!

> It's no uglier than a cast iron pan.

I didn't think it was ugly. I would gaze at wonder at the hard, black,
smooth, finish on my wok. Skillets and woks don't get ugly, they develop
a magical patina born of fire.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, May 28, 2014 1:02:44 AM UTC+10, bigwheel wrote:

> I dont mess with many woks but have owned enough pots and pans to know
> SS is a real poor heat conductor but maybe no more so than regular old
> carbon steel which suffers from the same bad habits. Copper or Aluminum
> has much better heat transfer characteristics.

For typically cookware alloys, stainless steel is three times worse than carbon steel or cast iron (i.e., 1/3 of the thermal conductivity). Aluminium is about 4-5 times better than carbon steel or cast iron, so much, much better than SS. If SS didn't suck so badly thermally, people wouldn't bother with SS-Al-SS composites.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob > wrote:
> On 2014-05-27, T Blake > wrote:
>
>> But since the Chinese are the masters of the wok, i wonder if there is a
>> reason in terms of their use and convenience for this *preference* for
>> carbon steel ?

> Go to yer library and check out The Breath of a Wok, a book dedicated
> to the mythos of the classic carbon steel wok. It covers all that
> how/when/why stuff in detail with a heavy dose of nostalgic reverie
> thrown in. Then, make up yer own mind.
>
> I have a 14" carbon steal wok with a perpendicular wooden pan handle
> on one side and a helper handle (sqr loop) on the other. The only
> thing I would change is to remove the wood grip in the helper handle,
> as it's gonna get burned, anyway. Is it better or worse than a SS or
> cast-iron or even a hand-hammered wok? Damned if I know.
>
> What is really important when comes to cooking with a wok is the heat
> source. I don't care if you have a nat gas/propane stove or an
> oversized electric hob or any of that stuff. None of it is hot
> enough. I use my wok on my turkey fryer burner, which is 5X-10X
> hotter than any kitchen stove and I still wish it was hotter.
> Commercial wok burners have an adjustable foot fuel pedal the cook can
> step on to immediately supercharge the burner flame and keep the wok
> at high stir-fry temps when dumping in a buncha food. Otherwise you
> gotta toss in smaller amts of food or wait for the wok to get back up
> to s/f speed.
>
> nb

I got a large carbon steel wok. Pretty much useless on my gas stove.

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/27/14, 6:26 AM, T Blake wrote:

> But since the Chinese are the masters of the wok, i wonder if there is a
> reason in terms of their use and convenience for this *preference* for
> carbon steel ?

Woks need to develop non-stick properties through frequent use. Carbon
steel does that; stainless steel does not.

I once had an All Clad SS wok; I wound up giving it away. Useless.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-05-28, gregz > wrote:

> I got a large carbon steel wok. Pretty much useless on my gas stove.

Yep. A lot depends on how patient you are. If you don't mind waiting
a bit, a wok will get up to s/f speed eventually. Problem is, if too
slow, the food gets steamed and becomes soggy before it's can be truly
s/f'd. That's why it's best to use as hot a flame burner as you can
muster. Mine is a really cheapo turkey frier kit from Lowe's fer $20,
end of season mark down. I tossed the cheapo porcelain pot, but kept the
burner. I can add hotter burners to the stand. You can find burners
and full wok cookers on Amazon from $20 to $200.

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&page...Aaps%2Ck%3Awok burner

The commercial turbo burners are truly expensive and really only
necessary for fast paced resto cooking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoPclRe66pw#t=60

If yer gonna cook for more 1-2 ppl, I'd go with a 16" wok.

http://tinyurl.com/mwogr2n

I'd choose this one. This from the Wok Shop in SF's Chinatown. These
ppl know woks and speak fluent round-eye and will probably answer Qs
on the phone: http://www.wokshop.com/.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/28/2014 11:41 AM, pltrgyst wrote:
> On 5/27/14, 6:26 AM, T Blake wrote:
>
>> But since the Chinese are the masters of the wok, i wonder if there is a
>> reason in terms of their use and convenience for this *preference* for
>> carbon steel ?

> Woks need to develop non-stick properties through frequent use. Carbon
> steel does that; stainless steel does not.
>
> I once had an All Clad SS wok; I wound up giving it away. Useless.

In other words, burned on food, only gently cleaned makes the best
non-stick coating. It doesn't sound impossible to attain with stainless
steel pots but I haven't seen it.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

pltrgyst wrote:
>T Blake wrote:
>
>> But since the Chinese are the masters of the wok, i wonder if there is a
>> reason in terms of their use and convenience for this *preference* for
>> carbon steel ?

>Woks need to develop non-stick properties through frequent use. Carbon
>steel does that; stainless steel does not. I once had an All Clad SS wok;
>I wound up giving it away. Useless.

You didn't season it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 28 May 2014 11:41:50 -0400, pltrgyst > wrote:

> On 5/27/14, 6:26 AM, T Blake wrote:
>
> > But since the Chinese are the masters of the wok, i wonder if there is a
> > reason in terms of their use and convenience for this *preference* for
> > carbon steel ?

> Woks need to develop non-stick properties through frequent use. Carbon
> steel does that; stainless steel does not.
>
> I once had an All Clad SS wok; I wound up giving it away. Useless.

I can understand that. Wow, you must have made some real messes.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 28 May 2014 11:57:50 -0400, James Silverton
> wrote:

> On 5/28/2014 11:41 AM, pltrgyst wrote:
> > On 5/27/14, 6:26 AM, T Blake wrote:
> >
> >> But since the Chinese are the masters of the wok, i wonder if there is a
> >> reason in terms of their use and convenience for this *preference* for
> >> carbon steel ?

> > Woks need to develop non-stick properties through frequent use. Carbon
> > steel does that; stainless steel does not.
> >
> > I once had an All Clad SS wok; I wound up giving it away. Useless.
> >

> In other words, burned on food, only gently cleaned makes the best
> non-stick coating. It doesn't sound impossible to attain with stainless
> steel pots but I haven't seen it.

I suppose you could, but why when you don't need a bank loan to buy a
perfectly good wok.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/27/2014 3:24 PM, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 27 May 2014 10:22:20 -1000, dsi1
> > wrote:

>>> Yes! That is why I say my ancient carbon steel wok is "ugly"
>>>

>> Black is beautiful baby!

> It's no uglier than a cast iron pan.

Mine is kind of shiny black.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/28/2014 2:27 AM, gregz wrote:
> notbob > wrote:
>> On 2014-05-27, T Blake > wrote:
>>
>>> But since the Chinese are the masters of the wok, i wonder if there is a
>>> reason in terms of their use and convenience for this *preference* for
>>> carbon steel ?

>> Go to yer library and check out The Breath of a Wok, a book dedicated
>> to the mythos of the classic carbon steel wok. It covers all that
>> how/when/why stuff in detail with a heavy dose of nostalgic reverie
>> thrown in. Then, make up yer own mind.
>>
>> I have a 14" carbon steal wok with a perpendicular wooden pan handle
>> on one side and a helper handle (sqr loop) on the other. The only
>> thing I would change is to remove the wood grip in the helper handle,
>> as it's gonna get burned, anyway. Is it better or worse than a SS or
>> cast-iron or even a hand-hammered wok? Damned if I know.
>>
>> What is really important when comes to cooking with a wok is the heat
>> source. I don't care if you have a nat gas/propane stove or an
>> oversized electric hob or any of that stuff. None of it is hot
>> enough. I use my wok on my turkey fryer burner, which is 5X-10X
>> hotter than any kitchen stove and I still wish it was hotter.
>> Commercial wok burners have an adjustable foot fuel pedal the cook can
>> step on to immediately supercharge the burner flame and keep the wok
>> at high stir-fry temps when dumping in a buncha food. Otherwise you
>> gotta toss in smaller amts of food or wait for the wok to get back up
>> to s/f speed.
>>
>> nb

> I got a large carbon steel wok. Pretty much useless on my gas stove.
>
> Greg

I used my large carbon steel wok on my gas stove. Some of them come
with a ring that helps concentrate the heat, but I never used it.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 28 May 2014 13:16:44 -0500, Janet Wilder >
wrote:

> I used my large carbon steel wok on my gas stove. Some of them come
> with a ring that helps concentrate the heat, but I never used it.

I haven't figured out how to use a wok effectively on a gas stove. I
used the ring on electric and that was fine, but my wok seems to be
too far away from the heat if I put the ring on the grate and too
close if I take the grate off and put the ring directly on the stove.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder wrote:

> I used my large carbon steel wok on my gas stove. Some of them come
> with a ring that helps concentrate the heat, but I never used it.

That's what I have too, Janet. I use the ring just to get it heated up
as much as possible and not have to hold it. When cooking, i normally
will hold it. A gas stove works ok...you just have to cook small
amounts at a time to keep it all hot at all times.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 28 May 2014 13:16:44 -0500, Janet Wilder >
> wrote:
>
>> I used my large carbon steel wok on my gas stove. Some of them come
>> with a ring that helps concentrate the heat, but I never used it.

> I haven't figured out how to use a wok effectively on a gas stove. I
> used the ring on electric and that was fine, but my wok seems to be
> too far away from the heat if I put the ring on the grate and too
> close if I take the grate off and put the ring directly on the stove.

My gas hob has a special ring for things like woks. It has a double ring of
gas, one inside the other.

This one is the same as mine:

http://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/...urners-gas-hob

I don't need a ring.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 28 May 2014 21:00:40 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Wed, 28 May 2014 13:16:44 -0500, Janet Wilder >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I used my large carbon steel wok on my gas stove. Some of them come
> >> with a ring that helps concentrate the heat, but I never used it.

> > I haven't figured out how to use a wok effectively on a gas stove. I
> > used the ring on electric and that was fine, but my wok seems to be
> > too far away from the heat if I put the ring on the grate and too
> > close if I take the grate off and put the ring directly on the stove.

> My gas hob has a special ring for things like woks. It has a double ring of
> gas, one inside the other.
>
> This one is the same as mine:
>
> http://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/...urners-gas-hob
>
> I don't need a ring.

No wok burner on my stove.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 28 May 2014 21:00:40 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

>> "sf" > wrote in message

>> > I haven't figured out how to use a wok effectively on a gas stove. I
>> > used the ring on electric and that was fine, but my wok seems to be
>> > too far away from the heat if I put the ring on the grate and too
>> > close if I take the grate off and put the ring directly on the stove.

>> My gas hob has a special ring for things like woks. It has a double ring
>> of
>> gas, one inside the other.
>>
>> This one is the same as mine:
>>
>> http://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/...urners-gas-hob
>>
>> I don't need a ring.

> No wok burner on my stove.

Sure I was just showing you mine

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 28 May 2014 22:46:43 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Wed, 28 May 2014 21:00:40 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > > wrote:

> >> My gas hob has a special ring for things like woks. It has a double ring
> >> of
> >> gas, one inside the other.
> >>
> >> This one is the same as mine:
> >>
> >> http://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/...urners-gas-hob
> >>
> >> I don't need a ring.

> > No wok burner on my stove.

> Sure I was just showing you mine

Well, you made me jealous. haha!

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 28 May 2014 22:46:43 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

>> "sf" > wrote in message
>> > On Wed, 28 May 2014 21:00:40 +0100, "Ophelia"

>> > No wok burner on my stove.

>> Sure I was just showing you mine

> Well, you made me jealous. haha!

Aww sorry That is not on a stove. It is separate from the ovens so I
guess you could have one;-)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 29 May 2014 10:49:42 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Wed, 28 May 2014 22:46:43 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > > wrote:

> >> Sure I was just showing you mine

> > Well, you made me jealous. haha!

> Aww sorry That is not on a stove. It is separate from the ovens so I
> guess you could have one;-)

My cooktop has 6 burners and that's enough for me. I'm sure my
problem has a simple solution, because the BTUs are not lacking - but
I don't use my wok like I used to and I am not motivated enough to
figure it out.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 29 May 2014 10:49:42 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

>> "sf" > wrote in message
>> > On Wed, 28 May 2014 22:46:43 +0100, "Ophelia"

>> > Well, you made me jealous. haha!

>> Aww sorry That is not on a stove. It is separate from the ovens so I
>> guess you could have one;-)

> My cooktop has 6 burners and that's enough for me. I'm sure my
> problem has a simple solution, because the BTUs are not lacking - but
> I don't use my wok like I used to and I am not motivated enough to
> figure it out.

No problem then)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo View Post
On Wednesday, May 28, 2014 1:02:44 AM UTC+10, bigwheel wrote:

I dont mess with many woks but have owned enough pots and pans to know
SS is a real poor heat conductor but maybe no more so than regular old
carbon steel which suffers from the same bad habits. Copper or Aluminum
has much better heat transfer characteristics.

For typically cookware alloys, stainless steel is three times worse than carbon steel or cast iron (i.e., 1/3 of the thermal conductivity). Aluminium is about 4-5 times better than carbon steel or cast iron, so much, much better than SS. If SS didn't suck so badly thermally, people wouldn't bother with SS-Al-SS composites.
Glad you mentioned the composites. I am the proud owner of Al waffle bottom All Clad brand SS stew/chili/Gumbo pot which I dearly love. Best dang pot I ever owned and pretty close to the biggest one they make I think. 20 lb batch of chili meat is not an issue and cooks it perfectly.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> No wok burner on my stove.

But I do remember when you first got your new stove you were
complaining about how hot your one burner got even when turned on low.
I would think that one would be good for stir frying in a wok.

Or no? :-O

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 29 May 2014 17:19:32 -0400, Gary > wrote:

> sf wrote:
> >
> > No wok burner on my stove.

> But I do remember when you first got your new stove you were
> complaining about how hot your one burner got even when turned on low.
> I would think that one would be good for stir frying in a wok.
>
> Or no? :-O

Did you read what I said the problem was or not? Did I complain about
a lack of heat?

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> Gary wrote:
>
> > sf wrote:
> > > No wok burner on my stove.

> > But I do remember when you first got your new stove you were
> > complaining about how hot your one burner got even when turned on low.
> > I would think that one would be good for stir frying in a wok.
> > Or no? :-O

> Did you read what I said the problem was or not? Did I complain about
> a lack of heat?

Are you in bitch mode again today? Yes, I read your problem...

Here's your quote from a few posts back:
I haven't figured out how to use a wok effectively on a gas stove. I
used the ring on electric and that was fine, but my wok seems to be
too far away from the heat if I put the ring on the grate and too
close if I take the grate off and put the ring directly on the stove.

You have a very hot burner (which is extremely wok-friendly) and you
just haven't figured out how to cook with a wok. Your argument is
lame. Learn to cook with a wok someday. It takes a little practice.

Leave the grate on..put the wok on the ring over the burner and let it
get super hot. Once it is hot enough to cook (and it will get hot) do
your stir fry in small batches.

You claimed to have one super-hot burner that was too hot even turned
on low for regular cooking and you now claim that it won't work for a
wok? Have you turned into Julie? I'm convinced now that you have NEVER
cooked with a wok.

Sorry 'bout this one but you deserved it.

G.

BTW - Cooking in a wok on a ring over an electric burner is a hard way
to go to start with. Only a newbie would miss an electric burner for
this cooking.

Naturally now, this post will put me in *your* killfile too. The
"head-in-sand syndrome" that's seems to be prevalent here, especially
lately. ;-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The electric range that I used in the 70s worked better with a wok than any range I've used since. That ******* would get super hot - I loved that range. As it goes, everything depends on the range as well as the cook.

> Naturally now, this post will put me in *your* killfile too. The
>
> "head-in-sand syndrome" that's seems to be prevalent here, especially
>
> lately. ;-)

May the killfiles be ever in your favor. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 30 May 2014 14:57:53 -0400, Gary > wrote:

> sf wrote:
> >
> > Gary wrote:

> > > But I do remember when you first got your new stove you were
> > > complaining about how hot your one burner got even when turned on low.
> > > I would think that one would be good for stir frying in a wok.
> > > Or no? :-O

> > Did you read what I said the problem was or not? Did I complain about
> > a lack of heat?

> Are you in bitch mode again today? Yes, I read your problem...
>
> Here's your quote from a few posts back:
> I haven't figured out how to use a wok effectively on a gas stove. I
> used the ring on electric and that was fine, but my wok seems to be
> too far away from the heat if I put the ring on the grate and too
> close if I take the grate off and put the ring directly on the stove.
>
> You have a very hot burner (which is extremely wok-friendly) and you
> just haven't figured out how to cook with a wok. Your argument is
> lame. Learn to cook with a wok someday. It takes a little practice.
>
> Leave the grate on..put the wok on the ring over the burner and let it
> get super hot. Once it is hot enough to cook (and it will get hot) do
> your stir fry in small batches.
>
> You claimed to have one super-hot burner that was too hot even turned
> on low for regular cooking and you now claim that it won't work for a
> wok? Have you turned into Julie? I'm convinced now that you have NEVER
> cooked with a wok.
>
> Sorry 'bout this one but you deserved it.
>
> G.

You're clearly demonstrating that you still can't comprehend what I
said. OBTW: I don't have *one* super hot burner (20,000 BTU), I have
four of them.

> BTW - Cooking in a wok on a ring over an electric burner is a hard way
> to go to start with. Only a newbie would miss an electric burner for
> this cooking.

I think you don't know your head from your tail when it comes to
cooking. Only idiots can't figure out how to cook on electric.

> Naturally now, this post will put me in *your* killfile too. The
> "head-in-sand syndrome" that's seems to be prevalent here, especially
> lately. ;-)

That wasn't even close to what gets people put into my kill file.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.