Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ciabatta bread

So I can finally enjoy a sandwich with mayo again! Thanks sf for
recommending the Just Mayo. But... My bread was crumbling!

I am not very familiar with Ciabatta bread. I remember hearing it about it
on some commercial. Jack in the Box? Not sure. Something about toasted
Ciabatta bread. I did have a turkey sandwich at Shari's with that kind of
bread and it was fine.

But when *I* made a turkey sandwich with Ciabatta (purchased and exp date of
5/22), the whole bottom piece of bread just crumbled in my hand! I wound up
having to turn the sandwich upside down.

When I had the sandwich at Shari's, the bread wasn't toasted and I don't
recall it being heated but that was a few months ago and I just may not be
remembering it right.

So... Did I do something wrong? Should I have heated the bread first or
something? Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 20 May 2014 04:07:08 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>So I can finally enjoy a sandwich with mayo again! Thanks sf for
>recommending the Just Mayo. But... My bread was crumbling!
>
>I am not very familiar with Ciabatta bread. I remember hearing it about it
>on some commercial. Jack in the Box? Not sure. Something about toasted
>Ciabatta bread. I did have a turkey sandwich at Shari's with that kind of
>bread and it was fine.
>
>But when *I* made a turkey sandwich with Ciabatta (purchased and exp date of
>5/22), the whole bottom piece of bread just crumbled in my hand! I wound up
>having to turn the sandwich upside down.
>
>When I had the sandwich at Shari's, the bread wasn't toasted and I don't
>recall it being heated but that was a few months ago and I just may not be
>remembering it right.
>
>So... Did I do something wrong? Should I have heated the bread first or
>something? Thanks!

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-hom-159913

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 20 May 2014 04:07:08 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> So I can finally enjoy a sandwich with mayo again! Thanks sf for
> recommending the Just Mayo. But... My bread was crumbling!
>
> I am not very familiar with Ciabatta bread. I remember hearing it about it
> on some commercial. Jack in the Box? Not sure. Something about toasted
> Ciabatta bread. I did have a turkey sandwich at Shari's with that kind of
> bread and it was fine.
>
> But when *I* made a turkey sandwich with Ciabatta (purchased and exp date of
> 5/22), the whole bottom piece of bread just crumbled in my hand! I wound up
> having to turn the sandwich upside down.
>
> When I had the sandwich at Shari's, the bread wasn't toasted and I don't
> recall it being heated but that was a few months ago and I just may not be
> remembering it right.
>
> So... Did I do something wrong? Should I have heated the bread first or
> something? Thanks!

Sounds super fresh, maybe you should have toasted it first. Still
can't imagine how mayonnaise would make it disintegrate though. How
thinly did you slice it? Try a ciabatta roll next time and crisp up
the crust before you use it. I like that crunch.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, May 20, 2014 4:07:08 AM UTC-7, Julie Bove wrote:
> So I can finally enjoy a sandwich with mayo again! Thanks sf for
>
> recommending the Just Mayo. But... My bread was crumbling!
>

> I am not very familiar with Ciabatta bread. I remember hearing it about it
>
> on some commercial. Jack in the Box? Not sure. Something about toasted
>
> Ciabatta bread. I did have a turkey sandwich at Shari's with that kind of
>
> bread and it was fine.
>

> But when *I* made a turkey sandwich with Ciabatta (purchased and exp date of
>
> 5/22), the whole bottom piece of bread just crumbled in my hand! I wound up
>
> having to turn the sandwich upside down.
>

> When I had the sandwich at Shari's, the bread wasn't toasted and I don't
>
> recall it being heated but that was a few months ago and I just may not be
>
> remembering it right.
>

> So... Did I do something wrong? Should I have heated the bread first or
>
> something? Thanks!

The pear made the problem.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 20 May 2014 04:07:08 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>So I can finally enjoy a sandwich with mayo again! Thanks sf for
>recommending the Just Mayo. But... My bread was crumbling!
>
>I am not very familiar with Ciabatta bread. I remember hearing it about it
>on some commercial. Jack in the Box? Not sure. Something about toasted
>Ciabatta bread. I did have a turkey sandwich at Shari's with that kind of
>bread and it was fine.
>
>But when *I* made a turkey sandwich with Ciabatta (purchased and exp date of
>5/22), the whole bottom piece of bread just crumbled in my hand! I wound up
>having to turn the sandwich upside down.
>
>When I had the sandwich at Shari's, the bread wasn't toasted and I don't
>recall it being heated but that was a few months ago and I just may not be
>remembering it right.
>
>So... Did I do something wrong? Should I have heated the bread first or
>something? Thanks!

I thought you didn't like sandwiches. Having said that...

The ciabatta bread you can buy around here is a rather flat crusty
loaf. Looks like a baguette. Instead of slicing it (the slices would
be too small for a sandwich, IMO), I'd cut it the long way so you have
a crusty piece on the bottom and on the top. That way, it would be
impossible for the bread to crumble.

Doris

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 20 May 2014 04:07:08 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>So I can finally enjoy a sandwich with mayo again! Thanks sf for
>>recommending the Just Mayo. But... My bread was crumbling!
>>
>>I am not very familiar with Ciabatta bread. I remember hearing it about
>>it
>>on some commercial. Jack in the Box? Not sure. Something about toasted
>>Ciabatta bread. I did have a turkey sandwich at Shari's with that kind of
>>bread and it was fine.
>>
>>But when *I* made a turkey sandwich with Ciabatta (purchased and exp date
>>of
>>5/22), the whole bottom piece of bread just crumbled in my hand! I wound
>>up
>>having to turn the sandwich upside down.
>>
>>When I had the sandwich at Shari's, the bread wasn't toasted and I don't
>>recall it being heated but that was a few months ago and I just may not be
>>remembering it right.
>>
>>So... Did I do something wrong? Should I have heated the bread first or
>>something? Thanks!

> http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-hom-159913

Thanks but that didn't exactly answer my question. And although I used to
love making bread, I just don't have the inclination for it now.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 20 May 2014 04:07:08 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> So I can finally enjoy a sandwich with mayo again! Thanks sf for
>> recommending the Just Mayo. But... My bread was crumbling!
>>
>> I am not very familiar with Ciabatta bread. I remember hearing it about
>> it
>> on some commercial. Jack in the Box? Not sure. Something about toasted
>> Ciabatta bread. I did have a turkey sandwich at Shari's with that kind
>> of
>> bread and it was fine.
>>
>> But when *I* made a turkey sandwich with Ciabatta (purchased and exp date
>> of
>> 5/22), the whole bottom piece of bread just crumbled in my hand! I wound
>> up
>> having to turn the sandwich upside down.
>>
>> When I had the sandwich at Shari's, the bread wasn't toasted and I don't
>> recall it being heated but that was a few months ago and I just may not
>> be
>> remembering it right.
>>
>> So... Did I do something wrong? Should I have heated the bread first or
>> something? Thanks!

> Sounds super fresh, maybe you should have toasted it first. Still
> can't imagine how mayonnaise would make it disintegrate though. How
> thinly did you slice it? Try a ciabatta roll next time and crisp up
> the crust before you use it. I like that crunch.

I don't think the mayo was the problem. The rolls came pre-sliced and were
pretty thick. I will try toasting it next time. Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Chemo" > wrote in message
> On Tuesday, May 20, 2014 4:07:08 AM UTC-7, Julie Bove wrote:
>> So I can finally enjoy a sandwich with mayo again! Thanks sf for
>>
>> recommending the Just Mayo. But... My bread was crumbling!
>>

>> I am not very familiar with Ciabatta bread. I remember hearing it about
>> it
>>
>> on some commercial. Jack in the Box? Not sure. Something about toasted
>>
>> Ciabatta bread. I did have a turkey sandwich at Shari's with that kind
>> of
>>
>> bread and it was fine.
>>

>> But when *I* made a turkey sandwich with Ciabatta (purchased and exp date
>> of
>>
>> 5/22), the whole bottom piece of bread just crumbled in my hand! I wound
>> up
>>
>> having to turn the sandwich upside down.
>>

>> When I had the sandwich at Shari's, the bread wasn't toasted and I don't
>>
>> recall it being heated but that was a few months ago and I just may not
>> be
>>
>> remembering it right.
>>

>> So... Did I do something wrong? Should I have heated the bread first or
>>
>> something? Thanks!

> The pear made the problem.

Couldn't have been. I did not eat the pear at the same time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doris Night" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 20 May 2014 04:07:08 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>So I can finally enjoy a sandwich with mayo again! Thanks sf for
>>recommending the Just Mayo. But... My bread was crumbling!
>>
>>I am not very familiar with Ciabatta bread. I remember hearing it about
>>it
>>on some commercial. Jack in the Box? Not sure. Something about toasted
>>Ciabatta bread. I did have a turkey sandwich at Shari's with that kind of
>>bread and it was fine.
>>
>>But when *I* made a turkey sandwich with Ciabatta (purchased and exp date
>>of
>>5/22), the whole bottom piece of bread just crumbled in my hand! I wound
>>up
>>having to turn the sandwich upside down.
>>
>>When I had the sandwich at Shari's, the bread wasn't toasted and I don't
>>recall it being heated but that was a few months ago and I just may not be
>>remembering it right.
>>
>>So... Did I do something wrong? Should I have heated the bread first or
>>something? Thanks!

> I thought you didn't like sandwiches. Having said that...

I don't really like sandwiches but... I had already eaten beans for dinner
and I needed more protein for the day.

> The ciabatta bread you can buy around here is a rather flat crusty
> loaf. Looks like a baguette. Instead of slicing it (the slices would
> be too small for a sandwich, IMO), I'd cut it the long way so you have
> a crusty piece on the bottom and on the top. That way, it would be
> impossible for the bread to crumble.

This was not a loaf. They are square rolls, precut and seemingly cut
evenly.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, May 21, 2014 8:35:23 AM UTC+10, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Doris Night" > wrote:
>
> > The ciabatta bread you can buy around here is a rather flat crusty
> > loaf. Looks like a baguette. Instead of slicing it (the slices would
> > be too small for a sandwich, IMO), I'd cut it the long way so you have
> > a crusty piece on the bottom and on the top. That way, it would be
> > impossible for the bread to crumble.

> This was not a loaf. They are square rolls, precut and seemingly cut
> evenly.

Ciabatta around here (and in Italy) is pretty tough elastic bread, whether in loaves or rolls. It shouldn't crumble. You had psedu-ciabatta or defective ciabatta.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/20/2014 2:10 PM, Chemo wrote:
> On Tuesday, May 20, 2014 4:07:08 AM UTC-7, Julie Bove wrote:
>> So I can finally enjoy a sandwich with mayo again! Thanks sf for
>>
>> recommending the Just Mayo. But... My bread was crumbling!
>>

>> I am not very familiar with Ciabatta bread. I remember hearing it about it
>>
>> on some commercial. Jack in the Box? Not sure. Something about toasted
>>
>> Ciabatta bread. I did have a turkey sandwich at Shari's with that kind of
>>
>> bread and it was fine.
>>

>> But when *I* made a turkey sandwich with Ciabatta (purchased and exp date of
>>
>> 5/22), the whole bottom piece of bread just crumbled in my hand! I wound up
>>
>> having to turn the sandwich upside down.
>>

>> When I had the sandwich at Shari's, the bread wasn't toasted and I don't
>>
>> recall it being heated but that was a few months ago and I just may not be
>>
>> remembering it right.
>>

>> So... Did I do something wrong? Should I have heated the bread first or
>>
>> something? Thanks!

> The pear made the problem.

LOL !!!!

Sky
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Timo" > wrote in message
> On Wednesday, May 21, 2014 8:35:23 AM UTC+10, Julie Bove wrote:
>> "Doris Night" > wrote:
>>
>> > The ciabatta bread you can buy around here is a rather flat crusty
>> > loaf. Looks like a baguette. Instead of slicing it (the slices would
>> > be too small for a sandwich, IMO), I'd cut it the long way so you have
>> > a crusty piece on the bottom and on the top. That way, it would be
>> > impossible for the bread to crumble.

>> This was not a loaf. They are square rolls, precut and seemingly cut
>> evenly.

> Ciabatta around here (and in Italy) is pretty tough elastic bread, whether
> in loaves or rolls. It shouldn't crumble. You had psedu-ciabatta or
> defective ciabatta.

That could well be. It was new to me. Hadn't seen it before.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/20/2014 5:34 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Chemo" > wrote in message
>> On Tuesday, May 20, 2014 4:07:08 AM UTC-7, Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>> So I can finally enjoy a sandwich with mayo again! Thanks sf for
>>> recommending the Just Mayo. But... My bread was crumbling!
>>>
>>> I am not very familiar with Ciabatta bread. I remember hearing it
>>> about it on some commercial. Jack in the Box? Not sure. Something
>>> about toasted Ciabatta bread. I did have a turkey sandwich at Shari's
>>> with that kind of bread and it was fine.
>>>
>>> But when *I* made a turkey sandwich with Ciabatta (purchased and exp
>>> date of 5/22), the whole bottom piece of bread just crumbled in my
>>> hand! Iwound up having to turn the sandwich upside down.
>>>
>>> When I had the sandwich at Shari's, the bread wasn't toasted and I don't
>>> recall it being heated but that was a few months ago and I just may
>>> not be remembering it right.
>>>
>>> So... Did I do something wrong? Should I have heated the bread
>>> first or something? Thanks!

>> The pear made the problem.

> Couldn't have been. I did not eat the pear at the same time.

Er, BIG WHOOSH and DOH! DUH!

Sky
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ciabatta bread/toasting didn't help

Not much anyway. It did get crisp, but after the sandwich sat for a few
minutes, it began to get soggy. Not sure where the problem lies. It's
turkey, bacon, tomato, lettuce, red onion and Just Mayo on top and bottom.
This time, both the top *and* the bottom are beginning to crack and crumble.
The bread didn't fall apart on me like it did prior but it just doesn't seem
right. And both sides of the bun are actually damp in the middle!

I checked the wrapper. This stuff is made by Seattle Sourdough. Apparently
a subsidiary of Franz. Odd thing is, this isn't listed on their website:

http://franzbakery.com/category/prod...ing-co-breads/

So... Dunno.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 21 May 2014 04:09:07 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> Not much anyway. It did get crisp, but after the sandwich sat for a few
> minutes, it began to get soggy. Not sure where the problem lies. It's
> turkey, bacon, tomato, lettuce, red onion and Just Mayo on top and bottom.
> This time, both the top *and* the bottom are beginning to crack and crumble.
> The bread didn't fall apart on me like it did prior but it just doesn't seem
> right. And both sides of the bun are actually damp in the middle!
>
> I checked the wrapper. This stuff is made by Seattle Sourdough. Apparently
> a subsidiary of Franz. Odd thing is, this isn't listed on their website:
>
> http://franzbakery.com/category/prod...ing-co-breads/
>
> So... Dunno.

Can't help you. Sounds like you need to switch brands. I've never
tried them, but Safeway sells ciabatta rolls that look great to me. I
ordered a BLT on ciabatta roll at La Boulange for dinner last night
and it was delicious. The bread was crisped lightly didn't fall
apart. PROVENCAL BLT: bacon, lettuce, tomato, goat cheese, aioli,
ciabatta.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/20/2014 5:35 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> I don't really like sandwiches but... I had already eaten beans for
> dinner and I needed more protein for the day.

You might try one of my favorites that eliminates bread. Use thinly
sliced turkey and roll up whatever you like (cheese, tomato, lettuce,
mayo, etc.) inside the turkey. Eliminates the bread and still gives you
the protein you need, all in a yummy snack! Works for me.

--
DreadfulBitch

I'm a nobody, nobody is perfect, therefore I'm perfect.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 21 May 2014 04:09:07 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> Not much anyway. It did get crisp, but after the sandwich sat for a few
>> minutes, it began to get soggy. Not sure where the problem lies. It's
>> turkey, bacon, tomato, lettuce, red onion and Just Mayo on top and
>> bottom.
>> This time, both the top *and* the bottom are beginning to crack and
>> crumble.
>> The bread didn't fall apart on me like it did prior but it just doesn't
>> seem
>> right. And both sides of the bun are actually damp in the middle!
>>
>> I checked the wrapper. This stuff is made by Seattle Sourdough.
>> Apparently
>> a subsidiary of Franz. Odd thing is, this isn't listed on their website:
>>
>> http://franzbakery.com/category/prod...ing-co-breads/
>>
>> So... Dunno.

> Can't help you. Sounds like you need to switch brands. I've never
> tried them, but Safeway sells ciabatta rolls that look great to me. I
> ordered a BLT on ciabatta roll at La Boulange for dinner last night
> and it was delicious. The bread was crisped lightly didn't fall
> apart. PROVENCAL BLT: bacon, lettuce, tomato, goat cheese, aioli,
> ciabatta.

I have seen the Macrina brand bread but can't eat it for some reason. Can't
remember why. I just tried toasting this more. I took it out yesterday as
it smelled like it was burning. It wasn't. Also tried drying off the
lettuce better. Still starting to go soggy so... I think it is the bread.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"DreadfulBitch" > wrote in message
> On 5/20/2014 5:35 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> I don't really like sandwiches but... I had already eaten beans for
>> dinner and I needed more protein for the day.

> You might try one of my favorites that eliminates bread. Use thinly
> sliced turkey and roll up whatever you like (cheese, tomato, lettuce,
> mayo, etc.) inside the turkey. Eliminates the bread and still gives you
> the protein you need, all in a yummy snack! Works for me.

Sorry, no. Not a fan of protein but putting it in a sandwich is one way to
get me to eat it. The bread kind of helps to disguise it. Plus I need the
carbs. Eating straight protein raises my blood sugar too high.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 21 May 2014 21:09:54 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> I have seen the Macrina brand bread but can't eat it for some reason. Can't
> remember why. I just tried toasting this more. I took it out yesterday as
> it smelled like it was burning. It wasn't. Also tried drying off the
> lettuce better. Still starting to go soggy so... I think it is the bread.

Julie, you said you were using a roll - so it's not the bread. You're
doing something wrong - I don't know what, but it's not the bread's
fault.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 21 May 2014 21:09:54 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> I have seen the Macrina brand bread but can't eat it for some reason.
>> Can't
>> remember why. I just tried toasting this more. I took it out yesterday
>> as
>> it smelled like it was burning. It wasn't. Also tried drying off the
>> lettuce better. Still starting to go soggy so... I think it is the
>> bread.

> Julie, you said you were using a roll - so it's not the bread. You're
> doing something wrong - I don't know what, but it's not the bread's
> fault.

Yes, it was a roll. And I had a similar roll at Sharis. I plan to get
their Ciabatta sandwich this weekend so that I can compare the two. I have
bought the Seattle Sourdough bread before and it was kind of crumbly. But
it is odd that these rolls aren't listed on the website and I have never
seen them in a store before. I am always looking for new sandwich bread
too. Seems to be harder and harder to find in some stores. I don't know
why. Maybe more people are eating low carb or just buying their sandwiches?
Albertsons had several empty spots on the shelves where the bread rolls
would go and then I spotted this on sale. So I thought I would try it.

Tonight's sandwich didn't get nearly as soggy as the last one and the bread
didn't actually totally fall apart but it was cracking all over. So...
Just do not know.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 21 May 2014 23:16:06 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Wed, 21 May 2014 21:09:54 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:
>
>> I have seen the Macrina brand bread but can't eat it for some reason. Can't
>> remember why. I just tried toasting this more. I took it out yesterday as
>> it smelled like it was burning. It wasn't. Also tried drying off the
>> lettuce better. Still starting to go soggy so... I think it is the bread.

>Julie, you said you were using a roll - so it's not the bread. You're
>doing something wrong - I don't know what, but it's not the bread's
>fault.

Do you think maybe it's the Mayo? The stuff she's using doesn't have
egg in it, and it contains water, so maybe it doesn't hold together
well.

I find that if I use Miracle Whip on a toasted BLT it will make the
bread soggy. Miracle whip is lower in calories by virtue of the fact
that it's mainly water.

Doris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 22 May 2014 08:56:28 -0400, Doris Night
> wrote:

> Do you think maybe it's the Mayo? The stuff she's using doesn't have
> egg in it, and it contains water, so maybe it doesn't hold together
> well.

No, I don't think it's the Mayo. I use that brand and the way it
looks, acts, tastes is no different from mayo made with egg.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/21/2014 1:09 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> Not much anyway. It did get crisp, but after the sandwich sat for a few
> minutes, it began to get soggy. Not sure where the problem lies. It's
> turkey, bacon, tomato, lettuce, red onion and Just Mayo on top and
> bottom. This time, both the top *and* the bottom are beginning to crack
> and crumble. The bread didn't fall apart on me like it did prior but it
> just doesn't seem right. And both sides of the bun are actually damp in
> the middle!
>
> I checked the wrapper. This stuff is made by Seattle Sourdough.
> Apparently a subsidiary of Franz. Odd thing is, this isn't listed on
> their website:
>
> http://franzbakery.com/category/prod...ing-co-breads/
>

> So... Dunno.

You're trying to make a good sandwich out of lousy bread - it can't be
done. Here's a recipe for ciabatta. You're probably not inclined to make
it but what the heck. You don't need to have machines to make this one.

http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.c...tice-ciabatta/

Shari's Ciabatta bread Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 2 25-05-2014 10:27 AM
ciabatta bread: what makes it different from++ Kalmia General Cooking 16 13-07-2012 09:54 PM
Ciabatta Italian Bread Sandy U. Recipes (moderated) 0 24-01-2007 01:12 PM
Ciabatta - Italian Bread Tim Recipes 0 11-06-2005 11:40 AM
Ciabatta Bread International Recipes OnLine Recipes (moderated) 0 05-01-2005 06:24 PM