FoodBanter.com

-   -   infused vodka? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/429143-infused-vodka.html)

sf[_9_] 17-05-2014 05:50 PM

infused vodka?

I've been looking at recipes this morning and am wondering if the
fresh pineapple used to make pineapple vodka can be used for something
else (like pineapple upside down cake) or if it's rendered flavorless
and should just be thrown out?

TIA

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.

ImStillMags 17-05-2014 06:13 PM

infused vodka?

On Saturday, May 17, 2014 9:50:39 AM UTC-7, sf wrote:
> I've been looking at recipes this morning and am wondering if the
>
> fresh pineapple used to make pineapple vodka can be used for something
>
> else (like pineapple upside down cake) or if it's rendered flavorless
>
> and should just be thrown out?

did you taste it?

James Silverton[_4_] 17-05-2014 06:25 PM

infused vodka?

On 5/17/2014 12:50 PM, sf wrote:

> I've been looking at recipes this morning and am wondering if the
> fresh pineapple used to make pineapple vodka can be used for something
> else (like pineapple upside down cake) or if it's rendered flavorless
> and should just be thrown out?

I'd have thought you could test the pineapple by eating a piece to see
if there is any flavor left. I make my own pepper vodka by soaking ancho
peppers and the flavor is pretty well extracted.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.

brooklyn1 17-05-2014 06:30 PM

infused vodka?

sf <sf@bigassmail> wrote:

>I've been looking at recipes this morning and am wondering if the
>fresh pineapple used to make pineapple vodka can be used for something
>else (like pineapple upside down cake) or if it's rendered flavorless
>and should just be thrown out?

Freeze the pineapple and add:
1 ripe frozen banana
1 big scoop nilla ice cream
1 big glug Coco Lopez
1 pint whole milk
6 ice cubes
2 ounces rum
Whiz to make 1 Big Ass smoothie.

sf[_9_] 17-05-2014 06:43 PM

infused vodka?

On Sat, 17 May 2014 10:13:31 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

> On Saturday, May 17, 2014 9:50:39 AM UTC-7, sf wrote:
> > I've been looking at recipes this morning and am wondering if the
> >
> > fresh pineapple used to make pineapple vodka can be used for something
> >
> > else (like pineapple upside down cake) or if it's rendered flavorless
> >
> > and should just be thrown out?
> >

> did you taste it?

What did I say that led you to think I made any at this point?

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.

sf[_9_] 17-05-2014 06:44 PM

infused vodka?

On Sat, 17 May 2014 13:25:58 -0400, James Silverton
> wrote:

> On 5/17/2014 12:50 PM, sf wrote:
> >
> > I've been looking at recipes this morning and am wondering if the
> > fresh pineapple used to make pineapple vodka can be used for something
> > else (like pineapple upside down cake) or if it's rendered flavorless
> > and should just be thrown out?
> >

> I'd have thought you could test the pineapple by eating a piece to see
> if there is any flavor left. I make my own pepper vodka by soaking ancho
> peppers and the flavor is pretty well extracted.

Thanks.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.

Paul M. Cook 17-05-2014 06:58 PM

infused vodka?

"sf" > wrote in message

> I've been looking at recipes this morning and am wondering if the
> fresh pineapple used to make pineapple vodka can be used for something
> else (like pineapple upside down cake) or if it's rendered flavorless
> and should just be thrown out?

Taste a piece.

It should be fine in anything.

---

Janet Wilder[_4_] 17-05-2014 10:20 PM

infused vodka?

On 5/17/2014 11:50 AM, sf wrote:

> I've been looking at recipes this morning and am wondering if the
> fresh pineapple used to make pineapple vodka can be used for something
> else (like pineapple upside down cake) or if it's rendered flavorless
> and should just be thrown out?
>
> TIA

I could never understand why someone would want to ruin perfectly good
vodka by flavoring it with fruit and such.

....and, yes, I am aware that vodka is neutral spirits with flavorings,
but not pineapples or coconuts or strawberries, etc.

It must be the Russian in me :-)

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

---

brooklyn1 17-05-2014 11:04 PM

infused vodka?

On Sat, 17 May 2014 16:20:32 -0500, Janet Wilder >
wrote:

>On 5/17/2014 11:50 AM, sf wrote:
>>
>> I've been looking at recipes this morning and am wondering if the
>> fresh pineapple used to make pineapple vodka can be used for something
>> else (like pineapple upside down cake) or if it's rendered flavorless
>> and should just be thrown out?
>>
>> TIA
>>

>I could never understand why someone would want to ruin perfectly good
>vodka by flavoring it with fruit and such.
>
>...and, yes, I am aware that vodka is neutral spirits with flavorings,
>but not pineapples or coconuts or strawberries, etc.
>
>It must be the Russian in me :-)

Perfectly good vodka, NYET?
Crystal Palace is just as perfectly good as the priciest vodka but it
costs only $15 for 1.75 liters because they don't advertise and it's
marketed "plain vanilla" so I drink it with cherry Coke/Pepsi with
ice. When the big name distillers market flavored vodkas at inflated
prices it's what they do with batches that turned out skanky. That's
what a lot of beverage producers do, when OJ producers market
pineapple, tangerine, strawbery flavored etc. it's because some
batches of pure OJ turned out skanky. That's whats done with skanky
coffee, it's flavored, and they price it higher because it's
"special"... nothing special about flavored coffees other than
otherwise it's skanky. When your butcher sells you marinated meat,
guess what, SKANKY!

Jeßus[_3_] 17-05-2014 11:06 PM

infused vodka?

wrote:

>I could never understand why someone would want to ruin perfectly good
>vodka by flavoring it with fruit and such.
>
>...and, yes, I am aware that vodka is neutral spirits with flavorings,
>but not pineapples or coconuts or strawberries, etc.
>
>It must be the Russian in me :-)

Drink enough vodka, and you won't be russian any more.
Staggering maybe, but russian. I've never looked closely into how
vodka is made, other than it was traditionally from potatoes. I'll
have to investigate these flavourings of which you speak of.

Dave Smith[_1_] 17-05-2014 11:06 PM

infused vodka?

On 2014-05-17 12:50 PM, sf wrote:

> I've been looking at recipes this morning and am wondering if the
> fresh pineapple used to make pineapple vodka can be used for something
> else (like pineapple upside down cake) or if it's rendered flavorless
> and should just be thrown out?

I guess that depends on how long you soak them. I make raspberry hootch
with the old quart, quart and pond recipe... quart of raspberries,
quart of alcohol, pound of sugar. The fruit sits in the booze for months
and sucks the colour and flavour out of the berries and by the time it
is completely done the berries are pale and taste more like alcohol than
raspberries.

Dave Smith[_1_] 17-05-2014 11:19 PM

infused vodka?

On 2014-05-17 1:58 PM, Paul M. Cook wrote:
> "sf" > wrote in message
>>
>> I've been looking at recipes this morning and am wondering if the
>> fresh pineapple used to make pineapple vodka can be used for something
>> else (like pineapple upside down cake) or if it's rendered flavorless
>> and should just be thrown out?

> Taste a piece.
>
> It should be fine in anything.

Except that the flavour infused into the alcohol won't be in the fruit
anymore.

sf[_9_] 17-05-2014 11:23 PM

infused vodka?

wrote:

> On 5/17/2014 11:50 AM, sf wrote:
> >
> > I've been looking at recipes this morning and am wondering if the
> > fresh pineapple used to make pineapple vodka can be used for something
> > else (like pineapple upside down cake) or if it's rendered flavorless
> > and should just be thrown out?
> >
> > TIA
> >

> I could never understand why someone would want to ruin perfectly good
> vodka by flavoring it with fruit and such.
>
> ...and, yes, I am aware that vodka is neutral spirits with flavorings,
> but not pineapples or coconuts or strawberries, etc.
>
> It must be the Russian in me :-)

Seemed like a good idea at the time. ;)

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.

sf[_9_] 17-05-2014 11:29 PM

infused vodka?

On Sat, 17 May 2014 18:06:51 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> On 2014-05-17 12:50 PM, sf wrote:
> >
> > I've been looking at recipes this morning and am wondering if the
> > fresh pineapple used to make pineapple vodka can be used for something
> > else (like pineapple upside down cake) or if it's rendered flavorless
> > and should just be thrown out?
> >

> I guess that depends on how long you soak them. I make raspberry hootch
> with the old quart, quart and pond recipe... quart of raspberries,
> quart of alcohol, pound of sugar. The fruit sits in the booze for months
> and sucks the colour and flavour out of the berries and by the time it
> is completely done the berries are pale and taste more like alcohol than
> raspberries.

Yeah, I thought berries would do that but I wasn't sure about
pineapple... I'm thinking about doing it with lemon now. It would be
a better all purpose vodka - good for sipping by itself and I could
also use it to turn an Arnold Palmer into a John Daly.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.

Jeßus[_3_] 17-05-2014 11:57 PM

infused vodka?

On Sat, 17 May 2014 18:06:51 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2014-05-17 12:50 PM, sf wrote:
>>
>> I've been looking at recipes this morning and am wondering if the
>> fresh pineapple used to make pineapple vodka can be used for something
>> else (like pineapple upside down cake) or if it's rendered flavorless
>> and should just be thrown out?
>>

>I guess that depends on how long you soak them. I make raspberry hootch
> with the old quart, quart and pond recipe... quart of raspberries,
>quart of alcohol, pound of sugar. The fruit sits in the booze for months
>and sucks the colour and flavour out of the berries and by the time it
>is completely done the berries are pale and taste more like alcohol than
>raspberries.

I have jars of cherries done the same way, albeit without the sugar.
They're about 3.5 years old now... they're a big hit with the ladies
in particular during summertime.

Dave Smith[_1_] 18-05-2014 12:14 AM

infused vodka?

On 2014-05-17 6:57 PM, Jeßus wrote:

>> I guess that depends on how long you soak them. I make raspberry hootch
>> with the old quart, quart and pond recipe... quart of raspberries,
>> quart of alcohol, pound of sugar. The fruit sits in the booze for months
>> and sucks the colour and flavour out of the berries and by the time it
>> is completely done the berries are pale and taste more like alcohol than
>> raspberries.

> I have jars of cherries done the same way, albeit without the sugar.
> They're about 3.5 years old now... they're a big hit with the ladies
> in particular during summertime.

Boogie Berries. I used to get sweet cherries as a friend's orchard and
pour in a mixture of brandy and sugar. The last time I did it was
probably about 25 years ago and I still have a jar left. I should crack
her open one of these days. I may have a delicious treat. Even if not so
good I will have a tiny bit more shelf space.

Paul M. Cook 18-05-2014 01:43 AM

infused vodka?

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2014-05-17 1:58 PM, Paul M. Cook wrote:
>> "sf" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> I've been looking at recipes this morning and am wondering if the
>>> fresh pineapple used to make pineapple vodka can be used for something
>>> else (like pineapple upside down cake) or if it's rendered flavorless
>>> and should just be thrown out?

>> Taste a piece.
>>
>> It should be fine in anything.
>>

> Except that the flavour infused into the alcohol won't be in the fruit
> anymore.

Just how much juice will that take? Two drops, three?

---

jmcquown[_2_] 18-05-2014 03:23 AM

infused vodka?

On 5/17/2014 6:29 PM, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 17 May 2014 18:06:51 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>> On 2014-05-17 12:50 PM, sf wrote:
>>>
>>> I've been looking at recipes this morning and am wondering if the
>>> fresh pineapple used to make pineapple vodka can be used for something
>>> else (like pineapple upside down cake) or if it's rendered flavorless
>>> and should just be thrown out?
>>>

>> I guess that depends on how long you soak them. I make raspberry hootch
>> with the old quart, quart and pond recipe... quart of raspberries,
>> quart of alcohol, pound of sugar. The fruit sits in the booze for months
>> and sucks the colour and flavour out of the berries and by the time it
>> is completely done the berries are pale and taste more like alcohol than
>> raspberries.

> Yeah, I thought berries would do that but I wasn't sure about
> pineapple... I'm thinking about doing it with lemon now. It would be
> a better all purpose vodka - good for sipping by itself and I could
> also use it to turn an Arnold Palmer into a John Daly.

LOL John Daly. He was on his way up until vodka did him in. I
remember once after one of his early big wins, he came into O'Charley's
with a gang of friends and ordered Lemon Drops (shooters) for everyone.
Over and over. I felt bad for the bartender because they didn't use
some piddly sour mix, he had to hand squeeze all those lemons. By the
end of the night his hand was very irritated.

Jill

sf[_9_] 18-05-2014 05:09 AM

infused vodka?

On Sat, 17 May 2014 22:23:01 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 5/17/2014 6:29 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Sat, 17 May 2014 18:06:51 -0400, Dave Smith
> > > wrote:

> >> I guess that depends on how long you soak them. I make raspberry hootch
> >> with the old quart, quart and pond recipe... quart of raspberries,
> >> quart of alcohol, pound of sugar. The fruit sits in the booze for months
> >> and sucks the colour and flavour out of the berries and by the time it
> >> is completely done the berries are pale and taste more like alcohol than
> >> raspberries.

> > Yeah, I thought berries would do that but I wasn't sure about
> > pineapple... I'm thinking about doing it with lemon now. It would be
> > a better all purpose vodka - good for sipping by itself and I could
> > also use it to turn an Arnold Palmer into a John Daly.
> >

> LOL John Daly. He was on his way up until vodka did him in. I
> remember once after one of his early big wins, he came into O'Charley's
> with a gang of friends and ordered Lemon Drops (shooters) for everyone.
> Over and over. I felt bad for the bartender because they didn't use
> some piddly sour mix, he had to hand squeeze all those lemons. By the
> end of the night his hand was very irritated.

Obviously he was a man with a discerning palate!

Honest to "Bob", I hadn't heard of either an Arnold Palmer OR a John
Daly before 2-3 years ago. Turns out I'm addicted to AP's and I'm
totally open to the idea of turning it into something with more kick.
:)

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.

Janet Wilder[_4_] 18-05-2014 05:36 AM

infused vodka?

On 5/17/2014 5:06 PM, Jeßus wrote:
> On Sat, 17 May 2014 16:20:32 -0500, Janet Wilder >
> wrote:
>

>> I could never understand why someone would want to ruin perfectly good
>> vodka by flavoring it with fruit and such.
>>
>> ...and, yes, I am aware that vodka is neutral spirits with flavorings,
>> but not pineapples or coconuts or strawberries, etc.
>>
>> It must be the Russian in me :-)

> Drink enough vodka, and you won't be russian any more.
> Staggering maybe, but russian. I've never looked closely into how
> vodka is made, other than it was traditionally from potatoes. I'll
> have to investigate these flavourings of which you speak of.

Most vodka is made from grain. Polish vodka is made from potatoes. I
drink Tito's Handmade vodka which is made from corn (in Austin, TX) and
gluten free.

Jeßus[_3_] 18-05-2014 06:10 AM

infused vodka?

On Sat, 17 May 2014 23:36:32 -0500, Janet Wilder >
wrote:

>On 5/17/2014 5:06 PM, Jeßus wrote:
>> On Sat, 17 May 2014 16:20:32 -0500, Janet Wilder >
>> wrote:
>>

>>> I could never understand why someone would want to ruin perfectly good
>>> vodka by flavoring it with fruit and such.
>>>
>>> ...and, yes, I am aware that vodka is neutral spirits with flavorings,
>>> but not pineapples or coconuts or strawberries, etc.
>>>
>>> It must be the Russian in me :-)

>> Drink enough vodka, and you won't be russian any more.
>> Staggering maybe, but russian. I've never looked closely into how
>> vodka is made, other than it was traditionally from potatoes. I'll
>> have to investigate these flavourings of which you speak of.
>>

>Most vodka is made from grain. Polish vodka is made from potatoes. I
>drink Tito's Handmade vodka which is made from corn (in Austin, TX) and
>gluten free.

Thanks for the info, that's quite interesting.
I've always assumed gluten wouldn't be a problem once the wash was
distilled.

Ed Pawlowski 18-05-2014 06:10 AM

infused vodka?

On 5/17/2014 5:20 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:

> I could never understand why someone would want to ruin perfectly good
> vodka by flavoring it with fruit and such.
>
> ...and, yes, I am aware that vodka is neutral spirits with flavorings,
> but not pineapples or coconuts or strawberries, etc.
>
> It must be the Russian in me :-)

Don't think of it as infused vodka, but a pineapple liquor. My neighbor
made limoncello that is fantastic. Same idea.

jmcquown[_2_] 18-05-2014 06:53 AM

infused vodka?

On 5/18/2014 12:09 AM, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 17 May 2014 22:23:01 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 5/17/2014 6:29 PM, sf wrote:
>>> On Sat, 17 May 2014 18:06:51 -0400, Dave Smith

>>> Yeah, I thought berries would do that but I wasn't sure about
>>> pineapple... I'm thinking about doing it with lemon now. It would be
>>> a better all purpose vodka - good for sipping by itself and I could
>>> also use it to turn an Arnold Palmer into a John Daly.
>>>

>> LOL John Daly. He was on his way up until vodka did him in. I
>> remember once after one of his early big wins, he came into O'Charley's
>> with a gang of friends and ordered Lemon Drops (shooters) for everyone.
>> Over and over. I felt bad for the bartender because they didn't use
>> some piddly sour mix, he had to hand squeeze all those lemons. By the
>> end of the night his hand was very irritated.
>>

> Obviously he was a man with a discerning palate!
>
> Honest to "Bob", I hadn't heard of either an Arnold Palmer OR a John
> Daly before 2-3 years ago. Turns out I'm addicted to AP's and I'm
> totally open to the idea of turning it into something with more kick.
> :)

I didn't know John Daly had a drink named after him. But after the way
he crashed and burned on the golf circuit, I shouldn't be surprised. :)

Jill

Ema Nymton 18-05-2014 12:27 PM

infused vodka?

On 5/17/2014 5:06 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2014-05-17 12:50 PM, sf wrote:
>>
>> I've been looking at recipes this morning and am wondering if the
>> fresh pineapple used to make pineapple vodka can be used for something
>> else (like pineapple upside down cake) or if it's rendered flavorless
>> and should just be thrown out?
>>

> I guess that depends on how long you soak them. I make raspberry hootch
> with the old quart, quart and pond recipe... quart of raspberries,
> quart of alcohol, pound of sugar. The fruit sits in the booze for months
> and sucks the colour and flavour out of the berries and by the time it
> is completely done the berries are pale and taste more like alcohol than
> raspberries.

Did I mention that I made Drunken Gummy Bears? We tasted them
yesterday, George cringed and I am not sure I like them either. lol
They taste like liquor.

Becca

brooklyn1 18-05-2014 01:20 PM

infused vodka?

Ema Nymton wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:
>> sf wrote:
>>>
>>> I've been looking at recipes this morning and am wondering if the
>>> fresh pineapple used to make pineapple vodka can be used for something
>>> else (like pineapple upside down cake) or if it's rendered flavorless
>>> and should just be thrown out?

>> I guess that depends on how long you soak them. I make raspberry hootch
>> with the old quart, quart and pond recipe... quart of raspberries,
>> quart of alcohol, pound of sugar. The fruit sits in the booze for months
>> and sucks the colour and flavour out of the berries and by the time it
>> is completely done the berries are pale and taste more like alcohol than
>> raspberries.

>Did I mention that I made Drunken Gummy Bears? We tasted them
>yesterday, George cringed and I am not sure I like them either. lol
>They taste like liquor.

That's the whole idea.

I tried them and I like them but I prefer my gummy bears straight.
I think just like with gummy bears a fresh pineapple soaked in vodka
would absorb more vodka than it would impart pineapple flavor.

Dave Smith[_1_] 18-05-2014 02:21 PM

infused vodka?

On 2014-05-18 12:36 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:

> Most vodka is made from grain. Polish vodka is made from potatoes. I
> drink Tito's Handmade vodka which is made from corn (in Austin, TX) and
> gluten free.

That sounds like a good marketing pitch. Vodka and other liquors are
distilled. A person would have to be pretty sensitive to react to the
minute amount of gluten that might make it through the distillation
process.

James Silverton[_4_] 18-05-2014 02:43 PM

infused vodka?

On 5/18/2014 9:21 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2014-05-18 12:36 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>
>> Most vodka is made from grain. Polish vodka is made from potatoes. I
>> drink Tito's Handmade vodka which is made from corn (in Austin, TX) and
>> gluten free.
>>

> That sounds like a good marketing pitch. Vodka and other liquors are
> distilled. A person would have to be pretty sensitive to react to the
> minute amount of gluten that might make it through the distillation
> process.

I'm sure you are quite correct; it would take the most clumsy of stills
to allow any gluten in vodka, especially as vodka can be made from
potatoes. I know gluten sensitivity exists but it's not an allergy as
people sometimes maintain. Anyway, I don't think any usually eaten
fruits or vegetables contain gluten.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.

Ed Pawlowski 18-05-2014 03:09 PM

infused vodka?

On 2014-05-18 12:36 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:

>> Most vodka is made from grain. Polish vodka is made from potatoes.

SOME Polish vodka is made from potatoes. Others are made with grains
and Sobieski is from rye. Excellent at a good price.

http://www.proof66.com/vodka/sobieski-vodka.html
Sobieski vodka is named for Poland's King Jan Sobieski III. Their
marketing prides itself on the tradition of Polish vodka
production--including rye as a base, a lack of glitz, and the
acknowledgment that multiple distillations are not necessarily making
the product better (this is true, by the way). This vodka is made with
Polish Dankowski Rye grain with water from the Oligocene springs

Gary 18-05-2014 04:52 PM

infused vodka?

Brooklyn1 wrote:

> I tried them and I like them but I prefer my gummy bears straight.

Grown adults buying gummy bears? Really? ;)

G.

Janet Wilder[_4_] 18-05-2014 05:40 PM

infused vodka?

On 5/18/2014 12:10 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 5/17/2014 5:20 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>
>> I could never understand why someone would want to ruin perfectly good
>> vodka by flavoring it with fruit and such.
>>
>> ...and, yes, I am aware that vodka is neutral spirits with flavorings,
>> but not pineapples or coconuts or strawberries, etc.
>>
>> It must be the Russian in me :-)
>>

> Don't think of it as infused vodka, but a pineapple liquor. My neighbor
> made limoncello that is fantastic. Same idea.

So this is that "retro" thing we did in the 70's by purchasing
inexpensive vodka and flavoring it with stuff? That is different. I
was referring to the myriad of flavored vodkas now found in bars and
liquor stores.

Janet Wilder[_4_] 18-05-2014 05:41 PM

infused vodka?

On 5/18/2014 12:10 AM, Jeßus wrote:
> On Sat, 17 May 2014 23:36:32 -0500, Janet Wilder >
> wrote:
>
>> On 5/17/2014 5:06 PM, Jeßus wrote:

>>> Drink enough vodka, and you won't be russian any more.
>>> Staggering maybe, but russian. I've never looked closely into how
>>> vodka is made, other than it was traditionally from potatoes. I'll
>>> have to investigate these flavourings of which you speak of.
>>>

>> Most vodka is made from grain. Polish vodka is made from potatoes. I
>> drink Tito's Handmade vodka which is made from corn (in Austin, TX) and
>> gluten free.

> Thanks for the info, that's quite interesting.
> I've always assumed gluten wouldn't be a problem once the wash was
> distilled.

I'm not gluten intolerant, so I really don't know, but the bottle has a
paper neck label that clearly states that it is gluten free. I assumed
if they were proud of that fact, gluten in booze was a problem.

Janet Wilder[_4_] 18-05-2014 05:44 PM

infused vodka?

On 5/18/2014 8:21 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2014-05-18 12:36 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>
>> Most vodka is made from grain. Polish vodka is made from potatoes. I
>> drink Tito's Handmade vodka which is made from corn (in Austin, TX) and
>> gluten free.
>>

> That sounds like a good marketing pitch. Vodka and other liquors are
> distilled. A person would have to be pretty sensitive to react to the
> minute amount of gluten that might make it through the distillation
> process.

I don't have a problem with gluten so that's not what sells me on Tito's
vodka. It's the taste. I drink my vodka on the rocks or with a tiny bit
of dry vermouth and a couple of olives so the flavor of the vodka is
very important to me. If I were mixing it with sodas or juices, I don't
think I'd care what brand I bought.

Janet Wilder[_4_] 18-05-2014 05:48 PM

infused vodka?

On 5/18/2014 9:09 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> On 2014-05-18 12:36 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>>
>>> Most vodka is made from grain. Polish vodka is made from potatoes.

> SOME Polish vodka is made from potatoes. Others are made with grains
> and Sobieski is from rye. Excellent at a good price.
>
> http://www.proof66.com/vodka/sobieski-vodka.html
> Sobieski vodka is named for Poland's King Jan Sobieski III. Their
> marketing prides itself on the tradition of Polish vodka
> production--including rye as a base, a lack of glitz, and the
> acknowledgment that multiple distillations are not necessarily making
> the product better (this is true, by the way). This vodka is made with
> Polish Dankowski Rye grain with water from the Oligocene springs

I got my information on vodka bases when I was on the Volga River
cruise. We did a vodka tasting. One that was very tasty was infused
with St. John's Wort. These were mild infusions, like the vodkas we are
used to, not the heavily flavored ones.

Also, while in Russia, I learned that Catherine the Great liked cherry
flavored vodka. I tried to find some, but couldn't. I will not buy the
flavored stuff off the liquor store shelves as I don't think it's
remotely authentic.

Janet Wilder[_4_] 18-05-2014 05:49 PM

infused vodka?

On 5/18/2014 10:52 AM, Gary wrote:
> Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>
>> I tried them and I like them but I prefer my gummy bears straight.

> Grown adults buying gummy bears? Really? ;)
>
> G.

Are you kidding? They are even making senior citizen vitamins in gummie
bear form.

Dave Smith[_1_] 18-05-2014 06:10 PM

infused vodka?

On 2014-05-18 7:27 AM, Ema Nymton wrote:

> Did I mention that I made Drunken Gummy Bears? We tasted them
> yesterday, George cringed and I am not sure I like them either. lol They
> taste like liquor.

I can see that doing that could improve them. I can't imagine them being
any worse than the way they come.

Gary 18-05-2014 06:32 PM

infused vodka?

Janet Wilder wrote:

> On 5/18/2014 10:52 AM, Gary wrote:
> > Brooklyn1 wrote:
> >>
> >> I tried them and I like them but I prefer my gummy bears straight.

> > Grown adults buying gummy bears? Really? ;)
> >

> Are you kidding? They are even making senior citizen vitamins in gummie
> bear form.

LOL! ;)

G.

James Silverton[_4_] 18-05-2014 07:07 PM

infused vodka?

On 5/18/2014 10:09 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> On 2014-05-18 12:36 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>>
>>> Most vodka is made from grain. Polish vodka is made from potatoes.

> SOME Polish vodka is made from potatoes. Others are made with grains
> and Sobieski is from rye. Excellent at a good price.
>
> http://www.proof66.com/vodka/sobieski-vodka.html
> Sobieski vodka is named for Poland's King Jan Sobieski III. Their
> marketing prides itself on the tradition of Polish vodka
> production--including rye as a base, a lack of glitz, and the
> acknowledgment that multiple distillations are not necessarily making
> the product better (this is true, by the way). This vodka is made with
> Polish Dankowski Rye grain with water from the Oligocene springs

Sounds wonderful but, given the best vodka is closest to neutral
spirits, I can't see what the grain variety or the geological era of the
diluting water have to do with it.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.

James Silverton[_4_] 18-05-2014 07:12 PM

infused vodka?

On 5/18/2014 12:48 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:

>> SOME Polish vodka is made from potatoes. Others are made with grains
>> and Sobieski is from rye. Excellent at a good price.
>>
>> http://www.proof66.com/vodka/sobieski-vodka.html
>> Sobieski vodka is named for Poland's King Jan Sobieski III. Their
>> marketing prides itself on the tradition of Polish vodka
>> production--including rye as a base, a lack of glitz, and the
>> acknowledgment that multiple distillations are not necessarily making
>> the product better (this is true, by the way). This vodka is made with
>> Polish Dankowski Rye grain with water from the Oligocene springs
>>

> I got my information on vodka bases when I was on the Volga River
> cruise. We did a vodka tasting. One that was very tasty was infused
> with St. John's Wort. These were mild infusions, like the vodkas we are
> used to, not the heavily flavored ones.
>
> Also, while in Russia, I learned that Catherine the Great liked cherry
> flavored vodka. I tried to find some, but couldn't. I will not buy the
> flavored stuff off the liquor store shelves as I don't think it's
> remotely authentic.

Vodka itself is one thing and flavored vodka another. There are two ways
in which vodka is flavored, infusing before and after distilling. I
happen to like hot pepper flavored vodka and I make that by infusing
peppers in pretty ordinary vodka. I also like to toss back a shot from a
bottle kept in the freezer even if I don't keep the bottle in a block of
ice as do some Russian restaurants.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.

Janet Wilder[_4_] 18-05-2014 07:25 PM

infused vodka?

On 5/18/2014 1:12 PM, James Silverton wrote:
> On 5/18/2014 12:48 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:

>>> SOME Polish vodka is made from potatoes. Others are made with grains
>>> and Sobieski is from rye. Excellent at a good price.
>>>
>>> http://www.proof66.com/vodka/sobieski-vodka.html
>>> Sobieski vodka is named for Poland's King Jan Sobieski III. Their
>>> marketing prides itself on the tradition of Polish vodka
>>> production--including rye as a base, a lack of glitz, and the
>>> acknowledgment that multiple distillations are not necessarily making
>>> the product better (this is true, by the way). This vodka is made with
>>> Polish Dankowski Rye grain with water from the Oligocene springs
>>>

>> I got my information on vodka bases when I was on the Volga River
>> cruise. We did a vodka tasting. One that was very tasty was infused
>> with St. John's Wort. These were mild infusions, like the vodkas we are
>> used to, not the heavily flavored ones.
>>
>> Also, while in Russia, I learned that Catherine the Great liked cherry
>> flavored vodka. I tried to find some, but couldn't. I will not buy the
>> flavored stuff off the liquor store shelves as I don't think it's
>> remotely authentic.
>>

> Vodka itself is one thing and flavored vodka another. There are two ways
> in which vodka is flavored, infusing before and after distilling. I
> happen to like hot pepper flavored vodka and I make that by infusing
> peppers in pretty ordinary vodka. I also like to toss back a shot from a
> bottle kept in the freezer even if I don't keep the bottle in a block of
> ice as do some Russian restaurants.

What I am used to is the infusion as part of the distillation process.
While I do like my vodka cold, as in on the rocks, I don't like it from
the freezer. It's too cold for me and I don't taste it at all. Then
again, maybe that's what it's all about?

James Silverton[_4_] 18-05-2014 07:39 PM

infused vodka?

On 5/18/2014 2:25 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 5/18/2014 1:12 PM, James Silverton wrote:

>>> I got my information on vodka bases when I was on the Volga River
>>> cruise. We did a vodka tasting. One that was very tasty was infused
>>> with St. John's Wort. These were mild infusions, like the vodkas we are
>>> used to, not the heavily flavored ones.
>>>
>>> Also, while in Russia, I learned that Catherine the Great liked cherry
>>> flavored vodka. I tried to find some, but couldn't. I will not buy the
>>> flavored stuff off the liquor store shelves as I don't think it's
>>> remotely authentic.
>>>

>> Vodka itself is one thing and flavored vodka another. There are two ways
>> in which vodka is flavored, infusing before and after distilling. I
>> happen to like hot pepper flavored vodka and I make that by infusing
>> peppers in pretty ordinary vodka. I also like to toss back a shot from a
>> bottle kept in the freezer even if I don't keep the bottle in a block of
>> ice as do some Russian restaurants.
>>

> What I am used to is the infusion as part of the distillation process.
> While I do like my vodka cold, as in on the rocks, I don't like it from
> the freezer. It's too cold for me and I don't taste it at all. Then
> again, maybe that's what it's all about?

You're onto something! :-) That's the thing about the pepper; you taste
it even tossing back the frigid liquid!

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.