Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default infused vodka?

Janet Wilder wrote:
>Gary wrote:
>> Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>>
>>> I tried them and I like them but I prefer my gummy bears straight.

>> Grown adults buying gummy bears? Really?

>Are you kidding? They are even making senior citizen vitamins in gummie
>bear form.

I have a bottle of Adult Gummys right here on my desk... Equate
brand... says compares to One A Day Vitacraves.

I usually buy gummy bears from Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Haribo-Gummi-C...bears+5+pounds

I like gummy candy, no fat, low salt.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
eb.com...
> On 5/18/2014 8:21 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2014-05-18 12:36 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>>
>>> Most vodka is made from grain. Polish vodka is made from potatoes. I
>>> drink Tito's Handmade vodka which is made from corn (in Austin, TX) and
>>> gluten free.
>>>

>> That sounds like a good marketing pitch. Vodka and other liquors are
>> distilled. A person would have to be pretty sensitive to react to the
>> minute amount of gluten that might make it through the distillation
>> process.

> I don't have a problem with gluten so that's not what sells me on Tito's
> vodka. It's the taste. I drink my vodka on the rocks or with a tiny bit
> of dry vermouth and a couple of olives so the flavor of the vodka is very
> important to me. If I were mixing it with sodas or juices, I don't think
> I'd care what brand I bought.

Sounds interesting. Got a name for that cocktail?

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/18/2014 3:58 PM, Paul M. Cook wrote:
> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> eb.com...

>>> That sounds like a good marketing pitch. Vodka and other liquors are
>>> distilled. A person would have to be pretty sensitive to react to the
>>> minute amount of gluten that might make it through the distillation
>>> process.

>> I don't have a problem with gluten so that's not what sells me on Tito's
>> vodka. It's the taste. I drink my vodka on the rocks or with a tiny bit
>> of dry vermouth and a couple of olives so the flavor of the vodka is very
>> important to me. If I were mixing it with sodas or juices, I don't think
>> I'd care what brand I bought.

> Sounds interesting. Got a name for that cocktail?

vodka martini on the rocks.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 18 May 2014 11:41:46 -0500, Janet Wilder >
wrote:

>On 5/18/2014 12:10 AM, Jeßus wrote:
>> On Sat, 17 May 2014 23:36:32 -0500, Janet Wilder >
>> wrote:

>>> Most vodka is made from grain. Polish vodka is made from potatoes. I
>>> drink Tito's Handmade vodka which is made from corn (in Austin, TX) and
>>> gluten free.

>> Thanks for the info, that's quite interesting.
>> I've always assumed gluten wouldn't be a problem once the wash was
>> distilled.
>>

>I'm not gluten intolerant, so I really don't know, but the bottle has a
>paper neck label that clearly states that it is gluten free. I assumed
>if they were proud of that fact, gluten in booze was a problem.

It comes as news to me, I distill quite regularly and am quite
familiar with the process .

Let's see...
http://titosvodka.com/faq/

"How is Tito’s gluten-free?

Tito’s is made from 100% corn and as a distilled spirit, is completely
gluten-free. Some producers add a little bit of mash back into the
spirit after distillation, which would add gluten content into an
otherwise gluten-free distillate (if using wheat as the base), but I
don’t do that regardless. It’s an important thing for us, and we
actually include “GLUTEN-FREE” in lots of our materials and on the
website so people can make informed choices. But, I am a vodka man,
not a doctor, so if you have more questions or concerns, you should
definitely talk to your doctor about it!"

Ah-ha, so now we know why there can be gluten in certain distilled
spirits

I've intentionally allowed my still to 'puke' the mash/wash when
making rum before, to add flavour to the finished product. That was
years ago though and I'm really not a rum drinker. Just did it out of
curiosity.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder > wrote:

> Most vodka is made from grain. Polish vodka is made from potatoes.

Well, most Polish vodka is made from grain and some Russian and some
other vodka is made from potatoes. And none of this is of any
importance, once one considers that modern vodka is made not from just
distilled, but from rectificated spirits, which are all perfectly
neutral in taste.

> drink Tito's Handmade vodka which is made from corn (in Austin, TX) and
> gluten free.

Modern unflavoured vodka is gluten-free quasi by definition.

Victor

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder > wrote:

> Also, while in Russia, I learned that Catherine the Great liked cherry
> flavored vodka. I tried to find some, but couldn't.

What Catherine the Great drank has little to do with modern vodka, which
originated at the end of the 19th century, with the advent of the
rectifying columns technology. If you want to drink something similar
to old-style vodka, try some German Korn.

> I will not buy the
> flavored stuff off the liquor store shelves as I don't think it's
> remotely authentic.

What's authentic in the context?

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
eb.com...
> On 5/18/2014 3:58 PM, Paul M. Cook wrote:
>> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
>> eb.com...

>>> I don't have a problem with gluten so that's not what sells me on Tito's
>>> vodka. It's the taste. I drink my vodka on the rocks or with a tiny bit
>>> of dry vermouth and a couple of olives so the flavor of the vodka is
>>> very
>>> important to me. If I were mixing it with sodas or juices, I don't
>>> think
>>> I'd care what brand I bought.

>> Sounds interesting. Got a name for that cocktail?
>>

> vodka martini on the rocks.

Catchy. I like it.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Victor Sack" > wrote in message
.. .
> Janet Wilder > wrote:
>
>> Most vodka is made from grain. Polish vodka is made from potatoes.

> Well, most Polish vodka is made from grain and some Russian and some
> other vodka is made from potatoes. And none of this is of any
> importance, once one considers that modern vodka is made not from just
> distilled, but from rectificated spirits, which are all perfectly
> neutral in taste.

>> drink Tito's Handmade vodka which is made from corn (in Austin, TX) and
>> gluten free.

> Modern unflavoured vodka is gluten-free quasi by definition.

And it is fat free, sugar free and vegan to boot.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder > wrote:

> On Victor Sack wrote:
> > Janet Wilder > wrote:
> >
> >> Also, while in Russia, I learned that Catherine the Great liked cherry
> >> flavored vodka. I tried to find some, but couldn't.

> > What Catherine the Great drank has little to do with modern vodka, which
> > originated at the end of the 19th century, with the advent of the
> > rectifying columns technology. If you want to drink something similar
> > to old-style vodka, try some German Korn.
> >
> >> I will not buy the
> >> flavored stuff off the liquor store shelves as I don't think it's
> >> remotely authentic.

> > What's authentic in the context?

> The stuff Catherine the Great drank.

Well, get some German Korn and flavour it with cherries - in the context
- that would have to be sour cherries. That would likely make it close
enough.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/18/2014 4:22 PM, Jeßus wrote:

> I've intentionally allowed my still to 'puke' the mash/wash when
> making rum before, to add flavour to the finished product. That was
> years ago though and I'm really not a rum drinker. Just did it out of
> curiosity.

There are sugar cane fields all around me. I wish I could co-opt a few
canes and make rum. I have no idea how to do it.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/18/2014 4:27 PM, Victor Sack wrote:
> Janet Wilder > wrote:
>
>> Also, while in Russia, I learned that Catherine the Great liked cherry
>> flavored vodka. I tried to find some, but couldn't.

> What Catherine the Great drank has little to do with modern vodka, which
> originated at the end of the 19th century, with the advent of the
> rectifying columns technology. If you want to drink something similar
> to old-style vodka, try some German Korn.
>
>> I will not buy the
>> flavored stuff off the liquor store shelves as I don't think it's
>> remotely authentic.

> What's authentic in the context?
>
> Victor

The stuff Catherine the Great drank.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/18/2014 4:42 PM, Paul M. Cook wrote:
> "Victor Sack" > wrote in message
> .. .
>> Janet Wilder > wrote:
>>
>>> Most vodka is made from grain. Polish vodka is made from potatoes.

>> Well, most Polish vodka is made from grain and some Russian and some
>> other vodka is made from potatoes. And none of this is of any
>> importance, once one considers that modern vodka is made not from just
>> distilled, but from rectificated spirits, which are all perfectly
>> neutral in taste.

>>> drink Tito's Handmade vodka which is made from corn (in Austin, TX) and
>>> gluten free.

>> Modern unflavoured vodka is gluten-free quasi by definition.

> And it is fat free, sugar free and vegan to boot.

Let's not forget yummy :-)

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 18 May 2014 17:02:29 -0500, Janet Wilder >
wrote:

>On 5/18/2014 4:22 PM, Jeßus wrote:
>>
>> I've intentionally allowed my still to 'puke' the mash/wash when
>> making rum before, to add flavour to the finished product. That was
>> years ago though and I'm really not a rum drinker. Just did it out of
>> curiosity.
>>

>There are sugar cane fields all around me. I wish I could co-opt a few
>canes and make rum. I have no idea how to do it.

It's a lot of work if you're only curious. You need to make a brew,
wash, mash - call it what you will. I used molasses for mine. The
tricky part is the still, you really need a 'pot' still that allows
for just enough impurities to come through with the distillate to
impart flavour and colour. I didn't much like my rum, but some friends
loved it and it's long gone now. I'm not a big rum drinker, so I may
not be the best judge.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/18/2014 6:17 PM, Jeßus wrote:
> On Sun, 18 May 2014 17:02:29 -0500, Janet Wilder >
> wrote:
>
>> On 5/18/2014 4:22 PM, Jeßus wrote:
>>>
>>> I've intentionally allowed my still to 'puke' the mash/wash when
>>> making rum before, to add flavour to the finished product. That was
>>> years ago though and I'm really not a rum drinker. Just did it out of
>>> curiosity.
>>>

>> There are sugar cane fields all around me. I wish I could co-opt a few
>> canes and make rum. I have no idea how to do it.

> It's a lot of work if you're only curious. You need to make a brew,
> wash, mash - call it what you will. I used molasses for mine. The
> tricky part is the still, you really need a 'pot' still that allows
> for just enough impurities to come through with the distillate to
> impart flavour and colour. I didn't much like my rum, but some friends
> loved it and it's long gone now. I'm not a big rum drinker, so I may
> not be the best judge.

Sounds like a whole lot of work. I think I'll just mosey down to Old
Mexico and buy my rum duty free. :-)

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/18/2014 12:48 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:

> I got my information on vodka bases when I was on the Volga River
> cruise. We did a vodka tasting. One that was very tasty was infused
> with St. John's Wort. These were mild infusions, like the vodkas we are
> used to, not the heavily flavored ones.

How to make gin:
1. Make vodka
2. Infuse the vodka with aromatics/herbs

BTW Luksusowa is a good potato vodka.
Karlsson Gold made in Sweden is from potatoes
Vodka can be made from grapes as well as most anythng else that will
ferment.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/18/2014 2:07 PM, James Silverton wrote:

>> SOME Polish vodka is made from potatoes. Others are made with grains
>> and Sobieski is from rye. Excellent at a good price.
>>
>> http://www.proof66.com/vodka/sobieski-vodka.html
>> Sobieski vodka is named for Poland's King Jan Sobieski III. Their
>> marketing prides itself on the tradition of Polish vodka
>> production--including rye as a base, a lack of glitz, and the
>> acknowledgment that multiple distillations are not necessarily making
>> the product better (this is true, by the way). This vodka is made with
>> Polish Dankowski Rye grain with water from the Oligocene springs
>>

> Sounds wonderful but, given the best vodka is closest to neutral
> spirits, I can't see what the grain variety or the geological era of the
> diluting water have to do with it.

In spite of the filtering and number of distillations, there is a
flavor. So does water since it can have an assortment of minerals.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/18/2014 11:03 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 5/18/2014 2:07 PM, James Silverton wrote:

>>> SOME Polish vodka is made from potatoes. Others are made with grains
>>> and Sobieski is from rye. Excellent at a good price.
>>>
>>> http://www.proof66.com/vodka/sobieski-vodka.html
>>> Sobieski vodka is named for Poland's King Jan Sobieski III. Their
>>> marketing prides itself on the tradition of Polish vodka
>>> production--including rye as a base, a lack of glitz, and the
>>> acknowledgment that multiple distillations are not necessarily making
>>> the product better (this is true, by the way). This vodka is made with
>>> Polish Dankowski Rye grain with water from the Oligocene springs
>>>

>> Sounds wonderful but, given the best vodka is closest to neutral
>> spirits, I can't see what the grain variety or the geological era of the
>> diluting water have to do with it.
>>

> In spite of the filtering and number of distillations, there is a
> flavor. So does water since it can have an assortment of minerals.

I'm not arguing the existence or non-existence of flavor but the fact
that blind tastings of vodkas tend to prefer the most neutral versions.
If I am going to infuse a flavor, you might as well use the cheapest
vodka available as I do.
--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 19 May 2014 08:46:16 -0400, James Silverton
> wrote:

> I'm not arguing the existence or non-existence of flavor but the fact
> that blind tastings of vodkas tend to prefer the most neutral versions.
> If I am going to infuse a flavor, you might as well use the cheapest
> vodka available as I do.

When I was in Italy, the tour guides told me how they made limoncello.
They go to their version of a pharmacy and buy whatever the alcohol is
they need right off the shelf. We use Everclear over here, but I'd
never tasted that stuff. DD's realtor gave her a bottle of homemade
lemoncello when they bought their new house so I was treated to my
first taste of it recently. It's very strong with a harsh undertone I
will attribute to Everclear until I taste that product straight from
the bottle. It changed my mind about waiting to make lemoncello until
I buy Everclear. I'll just use regular vodka because no matter how
cheap the vodka, I've never tasted an as nasty as that stuff was. For
me, it was as pleasurable as drinking grappa (blech).

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 18 May 2014 18:47:53 -0500, Janet Wilder >
wrote:

>On 5/18/2014 6:17 PM, Jeßus wrote:
>> On Sun, 18 May 2014 17:02:29 -0500, Janet Wilder >
>> wrote:

>>> There are sugar cane fields all around me. I wish I could co-opt a few
>>> canes and make rum. I have no idea how to do it.

>> It's a lot of work if you're only curious. You need to make a brew,
>> wash, mash - call it what you will. I used molasses for mine. The
>> tricky part is the still, you really need a 'pot' still that allows
>> for just enough impurities to come through with the distillate to
>> impart flavour and colour. I didn't much like my rum, but some friends
>> loved it and it's long gone now. I'm not a big rum drinker, so I may
>> not be the best judge.
>>

>Sounds like a whole lot of work. I think I'll just mosey down to Old
>Mexico and buy my rum duty free. :-)

Definitely easier to just buy it
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-05-17 12:50 PM, sf wrote:

> I've been looking at recipes this morning and am wondering if the
> fresh pineapple used to make pineapple vodka can be used for something
> else (like pineapple upside down cake) or if it's rendered flavorless
> and should just be thrown out?

FWIW... I regularly make raspberry hooch using Alcool sugar and
raspberries. The recipe is a quart a quart and a pound. It sits for a
few months and then you pour it off and filter it. The colour and
flavour is infused into the alcohol. I have tried eating the leftover
berries. They are very pale and there is little raspberry taste left in
them. It is has been sucked into the booze.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 17, 2014 12:30:28 PM UTC-5, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> sf <sf@bigassmail> wrote:
> >
> >I've been looking at recipes this morning and am wondering if the
> >fresh pineapple used to make pineapple vodka can be used for something
> >else (like pineapple upside down cake) or if it's rendered flavorless
> >and should just be thrown out?

> Freeze the pineapple and add:
> 1 ripe frozen banana
> 1 big scoop nilla ice cream
> 1 big glug Coco Lopez
> 1 pint whole milk
> 6 ice cubes
> 2 ounces rum
> Whiz to make 1 Big Ass smoothie.

That was hilarious, Sheldon. Seriously. Humor on the level of Winter.
Brilliance from someone I dislike, at the expense of someone whom I do
pretty much like is still brilliance.

Looking down the thread, I wonder if anyone else even got it.

--Bryan
http://www.amazon.com/Winters-Presen.../dp/B00QJPEI6M
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 8 Dec 2014 15:37:42 -0800 (PST), Bryan-TGWWW
> wrote:

> On Saturday, May 17, 2014 12:30:28 PM UTC-5, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> > sf <sf@bigassmail> wrote WAY BACK IN MAY:
> > >
> > >I've been looking at recipes this morning and am wondering if the
> > >fresh pineapple used to make pineapple vodka can be used for something
> > >else (like pineapple upside down cake) or if it's rendered flavorless
> > >and should just be thrown out?

To which the JACKASS in the great state of New York replied:

> > Freeze the pineapple and add:
> > 1 ripe frozen banana
> > 1 big scoop nilla ice cream
> > 1 big glug Coco Lopez
> > 1 pint whole milk
> > 6 ice cubes
> > 2 ounces rum
> > Whiz to make 1 Big Ass smoothie.

> That was hilarious, Sheldon. Seriously. Humor on the level of Winter.
> Brilliance from someone I dislike, at the expense of someone whom I do
> pretty much like is still brilliance.

It also is an excellent example about why he wasn't welcomed with open
arms to rfc on facebook when most people are given the benefit of the
doubt. Even Steve Wertz wasn't told to go away.

> Looking down the thread, I wonder if anyone else even got it.

There was nothing to "get" other than it's just another example of him
being the jackass as he usually is and how everyone studiously ignores
it. I don't need them to address his behavior on my behalf though,
because they know I have him filtered out; so if they don't reply -
his efforts are in vain and that's the best revenge. BWAHAHAHA!

--
A kitchen without a cook is just a room
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I once had a bottle hot pepper Russian vodka, it was fine.