Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Slow cooking for the bean lovers

"A Year of Slow Cooking: Italian-Style Calico Bean Soup ( only 4
ingredients!)
by Stephanie O'Dea

The Ingredients
serves 8-10

1 (16-ounce) package bean soup mix, flavor packet discarded
1 (12 to 16-ounce) package bulk Italian sausage, browned and crumbled
1 (26-ounce) jar prepared pasta sauce
2 empty pasta sauce jars worth of water
1 chicken bouillon cube (12 grams)

The Directions

Use a 6-quart slow cooker. In a large pot on the stove top, bring the beans
to a rapid boil in a bunch of fresh water. Boil the beans for 10 minutes,
then cover and remove from the heat. Let the beans sit in the cooling water
for 1 hour, then drain and rinse in clean water. Place the beans into an
empty slow cooker insert.

{please note that because this bean mix contains red beans, the beans
*must* be boiled this way to kill a naturally-occurring potential toxin
found in red beans. It's best to be safe rather than sorry!]

In a large skillet, brown the bulk sausage on the stove top, and drain any
accumulated fat. Scrape the pan contents into your cooker. Add the entire
jar of pasta sauce, and two jars-worth of water. Drop in the bouillon cube.
Stir to combine. Cover, and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours, or on high for
about 5 hours. Serve with grated Parmesan cheese and a hunk of homemade
cornbread.

enjoy!

The Verdict

I love this bean mix because it has something for everyone -- I especially
love the great big huge butter beans that nearly triple in size while
cooking. The leftovers freeze beautifully, and I enjoy having lots of little
containers in the fridge ready to go for lunches during the week.
If freezing, you'll need to thin a tiny bit with broth or water upon
reheating."

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message
> "A Year of Slow Cooking: Italian-Style Calico Bean Soup ( only 4
> ingredients!)
> by Stephanie O'Dea
>
> The Ingredients
> serves 8-10
>
> 1 (16-ounce) package bean soup mix, flavor packet discarded
> 1 (12 to 16-ounce) package bulk Italian sausage, browned and crumbled
> 1 (26-ounce) jar prepared pasta sauce
> 2 empty pasta sauce jars worth of water
> 1 chicken bouillon cube (12 grams)
>
> The Directions
>
> Use a 6-quart slow cooker. In a large pot on the stove top, bring the
> beans to a rapid boil in a bunch of fresh water. Boil the beans for 10
> minutes, then cover and remove from the heat. Let the beans sit in the
> cooling water for 1 hour, then drain and rinse in clean water. Place the
> beans into an empty slow cooker insert.
>
> {please note that because this bean mix contains red beans, the beans
> *must* be boiled this way to kill a naturally-occurring potential toxin
> found in red beans. It's best to be safe rather than sorry!]
>
> In a large skillet, brown the bulk sausage on the stove top, and drain any
> accumulated fat. Scrape the pan contents into your cooker. Add the entire
> jar of pasta sauce, and two jars-worth of water. Drop in the bouillon
> cube. Stir to combine. Cover, and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours, or on
> high for about 5 hours. Serve with grated Parmesan cheese and a hunk of
> homemade cornbread.
>
> enjoy!
>
> The Verdict
>
> I love this bean mix because it has something for everyone -- I especially
> love the great big huge butter beans that nearly triple in size while
> cooking. The leftovers freeze beautifully, and I enjoy having lots of
> little containers in the fridge ready to go for lunches during the week.
> If freezing, you'll need to thin a tiny bit with broth or water upon
> reheating."
>
> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

I'm not sure I have seen an all bean mix here. I used to buy something in
the Jewish food section. I think it had split peas in it and perhaps also
some pasta. I did use the seasoning mix. Then at some point I think they
changed it. I can't remember the particulars but I think someone else
brought it up here. Whatever the issue was, I haven't bought it since.

I like butter beans. But I have found that many people do not.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 8 May 2014 12:57:39 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> I'm not sure I have seen an all bean mix here.

Sure you have, the mixes come in various numbers but 15 or 17 bean
mixes are the most common.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophelia[_11_] View Post
[...]

Not sure what kind of poison red beans yall are getting. The boil soak and drain strategy is to de phart the beabs for the benefit of yankees. Its simple indigestible sugars called scaccharides. Nothing deadly about it except maybe some of the smells the next morning..lol. It dont bother Texas folks cause we eat beans 3 times a day and twice on Sundays. Our sturdy constitutions learn to digest it. So if they make somebody gassy it prob somebody North of the Red River.

Oligosaccharide - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 8 May 2014 12:57:39 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure I have seen an all bean mix here.

> Sure you have, the mixes come in various numbers but 15 or 17 bean
> mixes are the most common.

Oh! So you know what I've seen? I'm not even sure I can think of 15 types
of beans. Hang on. I'll look it up.

Amazon has a 13 bean soup mix. It clearly has split peas in it just like I
said. Not all beans. Nuts.com does have a 7 bean soup mix. Includes black
eyed peas.

This is what I used to buy. I got it at Lucky. We don't have Lucky here
any more and not sure I can get this here any more. It does have peas in
it. And the seasoning has hydrolyzed soy protein. That would be the reason
why I quit buying it.

http://www.hurstbeans.com/products/1/15-bean-soup

Frontier makes an 11 bean mix. Also has peas.
Bass Pro Shop has Uncle Bucks 5 bean. It has peas in it.

Sorry. I'm not seeing what you refer to.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 8 May 2014 17:06:49 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Thu, 8 May 2014 12:57:39 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> I'm not sure I have seen an all bean mix here.

> > Sure you have, the mixes come in various numbers but 15 or 17 bean
> > mixes are the most common.
> >

> Oh! So you know what I've seen? I'm not even sure I can think of 15 types
> of beans. Hang on. I'll look it up.
>
> Amazon has a 13 bean soup mix. It clearly has split peas in it just like I
> said. Not all beans. Nuts.com does have a 7 bean soup mix. Includes black
> eyed peas.
>
> This is what I used to buy. I got it at Lucky. We don't have Lucky here
> any more and not sure I can get this here any more. It does have peas in
> it. And the seasoning has hydrolyzed soy protein. That would be the reason
> why I quit buying it.
>
> http://www.hurstbeans.com/products/1/15-bean-soup
>
> Frontier makes an 11 bean mix. Also has peas.
> Bass Pro Shop has Uncle Bucks 5 bean. It has peas in it.
>
> Sorry. I'm not seeing what you refer to.

Google images is your friend - as will a good look at the bean shelf
in your grocery store.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"bigwheel" > wrote in message

> 'Ophelia[_11_ Wrote:
>> ;1929188']"A Year of Slow Cooking: Italian-Style Calico Bean Soup ( only
>> 4
>> ingredients!)
>> by Stephanie O'Dea
>>
>> The Ingredients
>> serves 8-10
>>
>> 1 (16-ounce) package bean soup mix, flavor packet discarded
>> 1 (12 to 16-ounce) package bulk Italian sausage, browned and crumbled
>> 1 (26-ounce) jar prepared pasta sauce
>> 2 empty pasta sauce jars worth of water
>> 1 chicken bouillon cube (12 grams)
>>
>> The Directions
>>
>> Use a 6-quart slow cooker. In a large pot on the stove top, bring the
>> beans
>> to a rapid boil in a bunch of fresh water. Boil the beans for 10
>> minutes,
>> then cover and remove from the heat. Let the beans sit in the cooling
>> water
>> for 1 hour, then drain and rinse in clean water. Place the beans into an
>>
>> empty slow cooker insert.
>>
>> {please note that because this bean mix contains red beans, the beans
>> *must* be boiled this way to kill a naturally-occurring potential toxin
>>
>> found in red beans. It's best to be safe rather than sorry!]
>>
>> In a large skillet, brown the bulk sausage on the stove top, and drain
>> any
>> accumulated fat. Scrape the pan contents into your cooker. Add the
>> entire
>> jar of pasta sauce, and two jars-worth of water. Drop in the bouillon
>> cube.
>> Stir to combine. Cover, and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours, or on high
>> for
>> about 5 hours. Serve with grated Parmesan cheese and a hunk of homemade
>>
>> cornbread.
>>
>> enjoy!
>>
>> The Verdict
>>
>> I love this bean mix because it has something for everyone -- I
>> especially
>> love the great big huge butter beans that nearly triple in size while
>> cooking. The leftovers freeze beautifully, and I enjoy having lots of
>> little
>> containers in the fridge ready to go for lunches during the week.
>> If freezing, you'll need to thin a tiny bit with broth or water upon
>> reheating."
>>
>> --
>> 'Help for Heroes' (http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/)

> Not sure what kind of poison red beans yall are getting. The boil soak
> and drain strategy is to de phart the beabs for the benefit of yankees.
> Its simple indigestible sugars called scaccharides. Nothing deadly about
> it except maybe some of the smells the next morning..lol. It dont bother
> Texas folks cause we eat beans 3 times a day and twice on Sundays. Our
> sturdy constitutions learn to digest it. So if they make somebody gassy
> it prob somebody North of the Red River.
>
> 'Oligosaccharide - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia'
> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oligosaccharide)

IIRC, black beans are the ones that contain the most of this stuff that can
kill you if they are not boiled for a few minutes. I think kidney and small
red also contain it but to a much lesser extent. Raw vegans were sickening
themselves by sprouting these and eating them. You can sprout peas, lentils
and chickpeas though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 8 May 2014 17:06:49 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>> "sf" > wrote in message
>> > On Thu, 8 May 2014 12:57:39 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>> > Sure you have, the mixes come in various numbers but 15 or 17 bean
>> > mixes are the most common.
>> >

>> Oh! So you know what I've seen? I'm not even sure I can think of 15
>> types
>> of beans. Hang on. I'll look it up.
>>
>> Amazon has a 13 bean soup mix. It clearly has split peas in it just like
>> said. Not all beans. Nuts.com does have a 7 bean soup mix. Includes
>> black
>> eyed peas.
>>
>> This is what I used to buy. I got it at Lucky. We don't have Lucky here
>> any more and not sure I can get this here any more. It does have peas in
>> it. And the seasoning has hydrolyzed soy protein. That would be the
>> reason
>> why I quit buying it.
>>
>> http://www.hurstbeans.com/products/1/15-bean-soup
>>
>> Frontier makes an 11 bean mix. Also has peas.
>> Bass Pro Shop has Uncle Bucks 5 bean. It has peas in it.
>>
>> Sorry. I'm not seeing what you refer to.

> Google images is your friend - as will a good look at the bean shelf
> in your grocery store.

I did look there. Saw no such thing. I used froogle in fact. And have not
seen any mixed beans in my grocery stores. But I have so many kinds of
beans in my cupboard, it would be no big deal to mix some.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in
:

> Raw vegans were sickening

Raw vegans are still sickening.

--
--Bryan

"Happy ****ing 'new years' that was when me and my father
had to identify her dead mud covered body they pulled from
the family car she'd driven into the Mississippi river!"
--John Kuthe in rec.food.cooking, 3-7-2014