Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default "sf" wears Fender Skirts to hide her Continental kit... Ahahahaha. . . .

I was just thinking about fender skirts.

FENDER SKIRTS AND SUPPER
I know some of you will not understand this message,
but I bet you know someone who might.

I came across this phrase yesterday.
'FENDER SKIRTS'

A term I haven't heard in a long time, and thinking about
'fender skirts' started me thinking about other words that quietly
Disappear from our language with hardly a notice, like 'curb feelers'

And 'steering knobs.' (AKA) 'suicide knob,' 'neckers knobs.'

Since I'd been thinking of cars, my mind naturally went that direction
first.

And kids, you will probably have to find some older person
Over 50 to explain some of these terms to you.

Remember 'Continental kits?'
They were rear bumper extenders and spare tire covers that were
Supposed to make any car as cool as a Lincoln Continental.

When did we quit calling them 'emergency brakes?
At some point 'parking brake' became the proper term.
But I miss the hint of drama that went with 'emergency brake.'

I'm sad, too, that almost all the old folks are gone
Who would call the accelerator the 'foot feed.'
Many today do not even know what a clutch is
Or that the dimmer switch used to be on the floor.
For that matter, the starter was down there too.

Didn't you ever wait at the street for your daddy to come home, so you
Could ride the 'running board' up to the house?

Here's a phrase I heard all the time in my youth but never anymore -
'store-bought.'
Of course, just about everything is store-bought these days. But once
It was bragging material to have a
Store-bought dress or a store-bought bag of candy.

'Coast to coast' is a phrase that once held all sorts of excitement
and
Now means almost nothing.
Now we take the term 'worldwide' for granted.
This floors me.

On a smaller scale, 'wall-to-wall' was once a magical term in our
Homes. In the '50s, everyone covered his or her hardwood floors with,
Wow, wall-to-wall carpeting!
Today, everyone replaces their wall-to-wall carpeting
with hardwood floors. Go figure.

When was the last time you heard the quaint phrase
'in the family way?' It's hard to imagine that the word 'pregnant'
Was once considered a little too graphic, a little too clinical for
use
In polite company, so we had all that talk about stork visits and
'being in the family way' or simply, 'expecting.'

Apparently 'brassiere' is a word no longer in usage. I guess it's just
'bra' now.
'Unmentionables' probably wouldn't be understood at all.

I always loved going to the 'picture show,' but I considered 'movie'
An affectation.
Most of these words go back to the '50s, but here's a pure '60s word I
Came across the other day: 'rat fink.' Ooh, what a nasty put-down!

Here's a word I miss - 'percolator.' That was just a fun word to
say.
And what was it replaced with 'Coffee maker.' How dull. Mr. Coffee, I
Blame you for this.

I miss those made-up marketing words that were
Meant to sound so modern and now sound so retro.
Words like 'Dyna Flow' and 'Electrolux' and 'Frigidaire'.
Introducing the 1963 Admiral TV, now with 'Spectra Vision!'

Food for thought.
Was there a telethon that wiped out lumbago? Nobody complains of that
Anymore. Maybe that's what Castor oil cured, because I never hear
Mothers threatening kids
With Castor Oil anymore.

Some words aren't gone, but are definitely on the endangered list.
The one that grieves me most is 'supper.' Now just about everybody
Says 'dinner.' Save a great word. Invite someone to supper. Discuss
Fender skirts.
----

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I really miss the car lights' dimmer switch being on the floor, it just seemed so much more convenient.

Denise in NH ( old enough to remember quite a few of those terms)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 08 May 2014 09:05:28 -0400, Brooklyn1
> [...]

> Here's a word I miss - 'percolator.' That was just a fun word to
>say.
>And what was it replaced with 'Coffee maker.' How dull. Mr. Coffee, I
>Blame you for this.
>
>I miss those made-up marketing words that were
>Meant to sound so modern and now sound so retro.
>Words like 'Dyna Flow' and 'Electrolux' and 'Frigidaire'.
>Introducing the 1963 Admiral TV, now with 'Spectra Vision!'
>
> Food for thought.
>Was there a telethon that wiped out lumbago? Nobody complains of that
>Anymore. Maybe that's what Castor oil cured, because I never hear
>Mothers threatening kids
>With Castor Oil anymore.
>
> Some words aren't gone, but are definitely on the endangered list.
>The one that grieves me most is 'supper.' Now just about everybody
>Says 'dinner.' Save a great word. Invite someone to supper. Discuss

My grandsons noticed a "corded telephone" while watching an old movie
on television. I told them that's how people communicated back in the
twentieth century. Typewriters are another interesting "relic" of the
twentieth century.

William

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 08 May 2014 11:46:18 -0400, William > wrote:

> [...]
>>Words like 'Dyna Flow' and 'Electrolux' and 'Frigidaire'.
>>Introducing the 1963 Admiral TV, now with 'Spectra Vision!'
>>
>> Food for thought.
>>Was there a telethon that wiped out lumbago? Nobody complains of that
>>Anymore. Maybe that's what Castor oil cured, because I never hear
>>Mothers threatening kids
>>With Castor Oil anymore.
>>
>> Some words aren't gone, but are definitely on the endangered list.
>>The one that grieves me most is 'supper.' Now just about everybody
>>Says 'dinner.' Save a great word. Invite someone to supper. Discuss
>>Fender skirts.
>>----

>My grandsons noticed a "corded telephone" while watching an old movie
>on television. I told them that's how people communicated back in the
>twentieth century. Typewriters are another interesting "relic" of the

Tell him so were jobs and working for what you have.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-05-08 9:05 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> I'm sad, too, that almost all the old folks are gone
> Who would call the accelerator the 'foot feed.'
> Many today do not even know what a clutch is
> Or that the dimmer switch used to be on the floor.

Yes they were, and because of the salt tracked in from the roads and
sidewalks in winter, they were frequently replaced. I have not had to
change a dimmer switch since they went to the steering column.

> For that matter, the starter was down there too.

Starter was on the floor in the pickup I learned to drive in and in
military vehicles.... which did not require keys.

> Didn't you ever wait at the street for your daddy to come home, so you
> Could ride the 'running board' up to the house?

Nope. The earliest car I remember my father having was a 1953 Ford.

> On a smaller scale, 'wall-to-wall' was once a magical term in our
> Homes. In the '50s, everyone covered his or her hardwood floors with,
> Wow, wall-to-wall carpeting!
> Today, everyone replaces their wall-to-wall carpeting
> with hardwood floors. Go figure.

LOL.... people are thrilled to rip up wall to wall carpeting and
discover the hardwood floor that previous owners had laid to cover up
the wall to wall. I remember how much work it was to clean and wax
those old hardwood floors.

> In polite company, so we had all that talk about stork visits and
> 'being in the family way' or simply, 'expecting.'

"Pregnant" was considered to be rude. There were no pregnant teachers,
and pregnant single teachers were fired.... morally unfit to teach children.

> Apparently 'brassiere' is a word no longer in usage. I guess it's just
> 'bra' now.

Bras were not even to be talked about.

> Here's a word I miss - 'percolator.' That was just a fun word to
> say.
> And what was it replaced with 'Coffee maker.' How dull. Mr. Coffee, I
> Blame you for this.

There was the occasional person who could make decent coffee in a
percolator, but those things are the reason that drip machines became so
popular.

> Was there a telethon that wiped out lumbago? Nobody complains of that

No, they don't. They talk about lower back pain, which is lumbago.

> Anymore. Maybe that's what Castor oil cured, because I never hear
> Mothers threatening kids
> With Castor Oil anymore.

My crazy health food fanatic sister in law used to feed her kids cod
liver oil. The kids are all grown up now but they still take it.
AAMOF, I was visiting with them on Easter weekend and two of them said
that they like it.... actually like it. Yech.

> Some words aren't gone, but are definitely on the endangered list.
> The one that grieves me most is 'supper.' Now just about everybody
> Says 'dinner.' Save a great word. Invite someone to supper.

It is usually supper here. Maybe that is because my grandmother was
English and supper is the evening meal, and they could not afford to go
out for dinner. My father spent more than three years in England and
Scotland during the war, and it was supper there. It was supper when I
was a kid, so it is usually supper here. We have dinner out.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 08 May 2014 13:07:18 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2014-05-08 9:05 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

>> Here's a word I miss - 'percolator.' That was just a fun word to
>> say.
>> And what was it replaced with 'Coffee maker.' How dull. Mr. Coffee, I
>> Blame you for this.

>There was the occasional person who could make decent coffee in a
>percolator, but those things are the reason that drip machines became so
>popular.

Percoating commits the first sin of coffee making! It BOILS the
coffee!

No wonder housewives could never make a decent cup of coffee!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Then there were running boards and curb-feelers. I always think of Woody Allen when she parks a bit away from the curb, he looks out and says, 'Oh well we can walk to the curb' or something like that.

In a family way wouldn't hold now - what is it - 47% now born out of wedlock? Where's the family in THAT picture? Mom, kid and the social worker?

Fiance used to mean 'we've set a date and will marry soon.' Now, it's just a fancy name for the long term live-in. What a joke.

There was a time when a woman didn't venture forth in her 8th and 9th month. Now - let it ALL hang out. And do they even MAKE maternity tops anymore?

"Had to get married" is another phrase gone with the wind.

End of old lady rant.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, May 8, 2014 11:46:18 AM UTC-4, William wrote:
> [...]

> >Words like 'Dyna Flow' and 'Electrolux' and 'Frigidaire'.

> >Introducing the 1963 Admiral TV, now with 'Spectra Vision!'

> > Food for thought.

> >Was there a telethon that wiped out lumbago? Nobody complains of that

> >Anymore. Maybe that's what Castor oil cured, because I never hear

> >Mothers threatening kids

> >With Castor Oil anymore.

> > Some words aren't gone, but are definitely on the endangered list.

> >The one that grieves me most is 'supper.' Now just about everybody

> >Says 'dinner.' Save a great word. Invite someone to supper. Discuss

> >Fender skirts.

> >----

> My grandsons noticed a "corded telephone" while watching an old movie
>
> on television. I told them that's how people communicated back in the
>
> twentieth century. Typewriters are another interesting "relic" of the

How about wooden phone booths, with closing doors, a light, a fan, a seat and a phone book on a chain - all for a dime.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave,

I knew of a gal who hid her marriage for 21 years from coworkers. She must've worn a muzzle and taken the bus. Def. didn't attend Xmas parties with a male.

The bit with married teachers: it was felt that they were 'robbing' a single woman of a job. The husband was supposed to be able to support two then. Marriage was a huge step then for reasons like that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-05-08, John Kuthe > wrote:

> to fake out people and tell them he had a moisture sensitive
> windsheld! ;-)

Might make fer a good laugh if they didn't really exist. Actually,
moisture sensitive wipers that turn on automatically when rainy.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-05-08, William > wrote:

> My grandsons noticed a "corded telephone" while watching an old movie
> on television. I told them that's how people communicated back in the
> twentieth century.

Remember no remote. Hadda get up and actually walk to the TV to
change channels ....uphill, both ways!

> Typewriters are another interesting "relic" of the twentieth
> century.

.....along with the slide rule.

What's really weird is, some of the alleged innovations in mid 20th
century. Remember how futuristic the automatic transmission with gear
change buttons in the center of the steering wheel hub was on the
newfangled '58 Edsel? Later, a car collector showed me a car from the
pre-twenties that featured the same thing. Packard? LaSalle? Same
with 4 valves per cyclinder on Jap motorcycles. Revolutionary? Until
you learn Harley-Davidson did it in 1909. Lotta that stuff.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-05-08, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> We grew up with one phone and one TV in the house. I have 5 of each now.

Part of that is, mfrs who provide no less. I bought a new phone.
Didn't know until I unboxed it, it had two satellite phones!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/8/2014 1:59 PM, Kalmia wrote:

> The bit with married teachers: it was felt that they were 'robbing' a single woman of a job.

>The husband was supposed to be able to support two then. Marriage was a huge step then for reasons like that.

Back then, it was common for mom to be at home. I knew of very few kids
that had a mother that worked. For better or worse, that started to
change in the 60's.

I still wonder though, how may families "could" live on a single income
versus those that have two very good incomes and still complain they
can't afford to live. Drive a Chevy instead of a BMW, vacation at the
beach nearby instead of Bimini. We did it but started in 1966.

We grew up with one phone and one TV in the house. I have 5 of each now.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-05-08 3:42 PM, notbob wrote:
> On 2014-05-08, William > wrote:
>>
>> My grandsons noticed a "corded telephone" while watching an old movie
>> on television. I told them that's how people communicated back in the
>> twentieth century.

> Remember no remote. Hadda get up and actually walk to the TV to
> change channels ....uphill, both ways!

That was back in the days when people actually watched commercials.

> What's really weird is, some of the alleged innovations in mid 20th
> century. Remember how futuristic the automatic transmission with gear
> change buttons in the center of the steering wheel hub was on the
> newfangled '58 Edsel?

I think the novelty part of that was it being in the steering wheel.
Chrysler had push button automatic into the 1960s. A girlfriend's mother
had one.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> I still wonder though, how may families "could" live on a single income
> versus those that have two very good incomes and still complain they
> can't afford to live. Drive a Chevy instead of a BMW, vacation at the
> beach nearby instead of Bimini. We did it but started in 1966.

Few families can live on a single income these days since dual income
has become the norm and given supply and demand when the average person
could afford to pay more, prices increased to match what the market
would pay. Recall the early dual income folks lived high on the hog,
while now dual income just keeps you middle class for the most part.

If single income became the norm again for whatever reason such as lack
of jobs, that means sales will go down due to folks not being able to
afford things, which means surplus inventory and then lowered prices to
clear inventory. The market will adjust to any conditions, but it takes
a year or two to full adjust.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-05-08, Dave Smith > wrote:

> Chrysler had push button automatic into the 1960s. A girlfriend's mother
> had one.

Who didn't?

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/8/2014 3:42 PM, notbob wrote:

> On 2014-05-08, William > wrote:
>>
>> My grandsons noticed a "corded telephone" while watching an old movie
>> on television. I told them that's how people communicated back in the
>> twentieth century.

> Remember no remote. Hadda get up and actually walk to the TV to
> change channels ....uphill, both ways!
>

> nb

I can remember the first remote controls that came out. They had cords,
and I only remember them for the early VCRs, not for the TV. I'm sure
there were some TVs that had remote controls before my own memory of
this, but we didn't have them.

--
ღ.¸¸.œ«*¨`*œ¶
Cheryl
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
>I really miss the car lights' dimmer switch being on the floor, it just
>seemed so much more convenient.
>
> Denise in NH ( old enough to remember quite a few of those terms)

I agree! Although I rarely use the thing, I always manage to make it come
on accidentally, then I play hell trying to turn it off while driving. Same
goes for when I need it. Can't seem to find it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/8/2014 1:53 PM, Kalmia wrote:

> In a family way wouldn't hold now - what is it - 47% now born out of wedlock? Where's the family in THAT picture? Mom, kid and the social worker?

Don't forget the judge in family court.

> There was a time when a woman didn't venture forth in her 8th and 9th month.

Happened before I was born, but what about Lucille Ball insisting she be
allowed on television when she was pregnant. Apparently caused quite a
kerfuffle with the network execs. As if kids of that era had never seen
a pregant woman. Most likely their own mother or their best friend's
mother. But the network was appalled by the suggestion.

Of course it was up to the imagination how Lucy got pregnant. She and
Desi slept in separate beds.

> Now - let it ALL hang out. And do they even MAKE maternity tops anymore?

I'm pretty sure they make comfortable yet stylish maternity tops. I
really do get kind of ooked when I see pregnant women wearing skimpy
clothing. I'm no prude but I really don't want to see all that.

> "Had to get married" is another phrase gone with the wind.

What about the phrase "got herself in trouble"? When was the last time
you heard that?

In the mid-1970's I went to school with a girl who got pregnant. (I'm
sure that's what her parents called it.) There's always a grapevine in
high school. We all knew she had gotten pregnant. Her parents yanked
her out of school and sent her off "to visit her aunt". I don't know
who they thought they were kidding. Maybe the neighbors. It is soooo
important what the neighbors think, dontcha know. Heh.

> End of old lady rant.

End of middle-age lady agreeing with you.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, May 8, 2014 10:46:18 AM UTC-5, William wrote:

> My grandsons noticed a "corded telephone" while watching an old movie
> on television. I told them that's how people communicated back in the
> twentieth century. Typewriters are another interesting "relic" of the
> twentieth century.
>

> William

If he comes to my house he can see THREE corded phones! That should blow his underwear off.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-05-09, jmcquown > wrote:

> goes out, the corded phone still works. At least I can report the power
> outage.

Yep. I gotta push-button Princess phone in the shed.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> On 5/8/2014 1:53 PM, Kalmia wrote:
>>
>> In a family way wouldn't hold now - what is it - 47% now born out of
>> wedlock? Where's the family in THAT picture? Mom, kid and the
>> social worker?
>>

> Don't forget the judge in family court.
>
>> There was a time when a woman didn't venture forth in her 8th and 9th
>> month.

> Happened before I was born, but what about Lucille Ball insisting she
> be allowed on television when she was pregnant. Apparently caused
> quite a kerfuffle with the network execs. As if kids of that era had
> never seen a pregant woman. Most likely their own mother or their
> best friend's mother. But the network was appalled by the suggestion.
>
> Of course it was up to the imagination how Lucy got pregnant. She and
> Desi slept in separate beds.
>
>> Now - let it ALL hang out. And do they even MAKE maternity tops
>> anymore?
>>

> I'm pretty sure they make comfortable yet stylish maternity tops. I
> really do get kind of ooked when I see pregnant women wearing skimpy
> clothing. I'm no prude but I really don't want to see all that.
>
>> "Had to get married" is another phrase gone with the wind.
>>

> What about the phrase "got herself in trouble"? When was the last
> time you heard that?
>
> In the mid-1970's I went to school with a girl who got pregnant. (I'm
> sure that's what her parents called it.) There's always a grapevine
> in high school. We all knew she had gotten pregnant. Her parents
> yanked her out of school and sent her off "to visit her aunt". I
> don't know who they thought they were kidding. Maybe the neighbors.
> It is soooo important what the neighbors think, dontcha know. Heh.
>
>> End of old lady rant.
>>

> End of middle-age lady agreeing with you.
>
> Jill

No, you're old. Once the hair goes, you've hit that mark.