Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Denver Restaurant Recommendations

Denver Restaurant Recommendations Needed

I have never been to Denver- need to know what local specialties there
might be? Good places to eat?

TIA
Goomba
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/5/2014 1:00 PM, Goomba wrote:
> Denver Restaurant Recommendations Needed
>
> I have never been to Denver- need to know what local specialties there
> might be? Good places to eat?
>
> TIA
> Goomba

If you don't get answers here, I always found asking at the front desk
(assuming you'll be in a hotel) is helpful. Tell them if you're looking
for a mom & pop type place or a chain. Have fun!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-05-05 1:21 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 5/5/2014 1:00 PM, Goomba wrote:
>> Denver Restaurant Recommendations Needed
>>
>> I have never been to Denver- need to know what local specialties there
>> might be? Good places to eat?
>>
>> TIA
>> Goomba

> If you don't get answers here, I always found asking at the front desk
> (assuming you'll be in a hotel) is helpful. Tell them if you're looking
> for a mom & pop type place or a chain. Have fun!

A lot of hotels have some sort of arrangement with local restaurants, so
they are likely to tell you the ones that give them a kick back.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 05 May 2014 13:00:39 -0400, Goomba >
wrote:

> Denver Restaurant Recommendations Needed
>
> I have never been to Denver- need to know what local specialties there
> might be? Good places to eat?

I asked a friend who moved to Denver 3 or 4 years ago. She says:

I'm technically still not a local but if they are staying in downtown
Denver, the "LODO" area has a bunch of great restaurants. Rioja,
ChoLon BIstro, Tag. Pearl St is also a great area.... Izakaya Den.
FOR a crazy but delicious food experience... The Buckhorn Exchange,
oldest restaurant in Denver/first liquor license issued in Denver.
Kind of in an obscure area.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/5/2014 1:31 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2014-05-05 1:21 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> On 5/5/2014 1:00 PM, Goomba wrote:
>>> Denver Restaurant Recommendations Needed
>>>
>>> I have never been to Denver- need to know what local specialties there
>>> might be? Good places to eat?
>>>
>>> TIA
>>> Goomba

>> If you don't get answers here, I always found asking at the front desk
>> (assuming you'll be in a hotel) is helpful. Tell them if you're looking
>> for a mom & pop type place or a chain. Have fun!
>>

> A lot of hotels have some sort of arrangement with local restaurants, so
> they are likely to tell you the ones that give them a kick back.

Probably, but then we don't know where she'll be staying.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:

> Denver Restaurant Recommendations Needed
>
> I have never been to Denver- need to know what local specialties there
> might be? Good places to eat?
>
> TIA
> Goomba

I've heard Denver Biscuit Co. is good, however when I was in the area
the line around the block did away with the idea of trying it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 5/5/2014 1:31 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

>>> If you don't get answers here, I always found asking at the front desk
>>> (assuming you'll be in a hotel) is helpful. Tell them if you're looking
>>> for a mom & pop type place or a chain. Have fun!
>>>

>> A lot of hotels have some sort of arrangement with local restaurants, so
>> they are likely to tell you the ones that give them a kick back.
>>

> Probably, but then we don't know where she'll be staying.

Do we need to?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/5/14 2:14 PM, sf wrote:

> I asked a friend who moved to Denver 3 or 4 years ago. She says:
>
> I'm technically still not a local but if they are staying in downtown
> Denver, the "LODO" area has a bunch of great restaurants. Rioja,
> ChoLon BIstro, Tag. Pearl St is also a great area.... Izakaya Den.
> FOR a crazy but delicious food experience... The Buckhorn Exchange,
> oldest restaurant in Denver/first liquor license issued in Denver.
> Kind of in an obscure area.

Thank you (and your friend) for this.
I was surprised by how little is written about Denver on Chowhound, by
usual favorite site when visiting new places.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 05 May 2014 16:05:06 -0400, Goomba >
wrote:

> On 5/5/14 2:14 PM, sf wrote:
>
> > I asked a friend who moved to Denver 3 or 4 years ago. She says:
> >
> > I'm technically still not a local but if they are staying in downtown
> > Denver, the "LODO" area has a bunch of great restaurants. Rioja,
> > ChoLon BIstro, Tag. Pearl St is also a great area.... Izakaya Den.
> > FOR a crazy but delicious food experience... The Buckhorn Exchange,
> > oldest restaurant in Denver/first liquor license issued in Denver.
> > Kind of in an obscure area.
> >

> Thank you (and your friend) for this.

You're very welcome. I'll pass your thanks on to her.

> I was surprised by how little is written about Denver on Chowhound, by
> usual favorite site when visiting new places.

I saw! The page I read said the Denver part of Chowhound was almost
dead. It can't be *that* bad in Denver! Maybe they're too busy
working, skiing and eating out to write about it in Chowhound.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-05-05 4:33 PM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 05 May 2014 16:05:06 -0400, Goomba >
> wrote:
>
>> On 5/5/14 2:14 PM, sf wrote:
>>
>>> I asked a friend who moved to Denver 3 or 4 years ago. She says:
>>>
>>> I'm technically still not a local but if they are staying in downtown
>>> Denver, the "LODO" area has a bunch of great restaurants. Rioja,
>>> ChoLon BIstro, Tag. Pearl St is also a great area.... Izakaya Den.
>>> FOR a crazy but delicious food experience... The Buckhorn Exchange,
>>> oldest restaurant in Denver/first liquor license issued in Denver.
>>> Kind of in an obscure area.
>>>

>> Thank you (and your friend) for this.

> You're very welcome. I'll pass your thanks on to her.
>
>> I was surprised by how little is written about Denver on Chowhound, by
>> usual favorite site when visiting new places.
>>

> I saw! The page I read said the Denver part of Chowhound was almost
> dead. It can't be *that* bad in Denver! Maybe they're too busy
> working, skiing and eating out to write about it in Chowhound.

The closest I was to Denver Boulder and Longmont and we had one
restaurant meal in each. Neither was particularly good. Restaurant
choice was my wife's cousins, and I don't know them very well, but I
don't think they could be called foodies. We did have a nice breakfast
at a place between Longmont and Estes Park. The food in restaurants in
Estes Park was not at all impressive.

Based on my limited experience there, I would suggest that you go to
Denver for the scenery, not for the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Denver Restaurant Recommendations Needed
>
>I have never been to Denver- need to know what local specialties there
>might be? Good places to eat?
>
>TIA
>Goomba

Where is Gloria? She probably knows better than any of us since she
lives there. I have an address for her if you need it. Email me.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Goomba
> wrote:

> Denver Restaurant Recommendations Needed
>
> I have never been to Denver- need to know what local specialties there
> might be? Good places to eat?

The best steak I ever ate was in Denver, well, in the suburb of Aurora.
The restaurant was called the "Aurora Summit". That sublime steak was
consumed in the late eighties, and they've changed their name by
dropping Aurora.
It's now <http://www.opentable.com/the-summit-steakhouse>.
It's "possible" that the menu/quality has changed. Still, "The Summit"
is in business to this day, and that says something. Just a thought.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/5/2014 3:10 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

>>> A lot of hotels have some sort of arrangement with local restaurants, so
>>> they are likely to tell you the ones that give them a kick back.
>>>

>> Probably, but then we don't know where she'll be staying.

> Do we need to?

No, but then I'm not the one who suggested the hotel employees might
steer Goomba to a place the hotel has some sort of arrangement with.
Over the years John and I have been told about a number of very good
local eateries by hotel employees. They're happy to offer suggestions.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 05 May 2014 16:05:06 -0400, Goomba >
> wrote:
>
>> On 5/5/14 2:14 PM, sf wrote:
>>
>> > I asked a friend who moved to Denver 3 or 4 years ago. She says:
>> >
>> > I'm technically still not a local but if they are staying in downtown
>> > Denver, the "LODO" area has a bunch of great restaurants. Rioja,
>> > ChoLon BIstro, Tag. Pearl St is also a great area.... Izakaya Den.
>> > FOR a crazy but delicious food experience... The Buckhorn Exchange,
>> > oldest restaurant in Denver/first liquor license issued in Denver.
>> > Kind of in an obscure area.
>> >

>> Thank you (and your friend) for this.

> You're very welcome. I'll pass your thanks on to her.
>
>> I was surprised by how little is written about Denver on Chowhound, by
>> usual favorite site when visiting new places.
>>

> I saw! The page I read said the Denver part of Chowhound was almost
> dead. It can't be *that* bad in Denver! Maybe they're too busy
> working, skiing and eating out to write about it in Chowhound.

I have eaten in Denver but most of the places I ate at are probably no
longer there as it was over 30 years ago. Casa Bonita is still there but
from what I read online, it is no longer good. It was a nice Mexican place
when we were there. Beautiful interior with nearly nude male cliff divers
for entertainment. But from what I read, not only did they let the place go
but they cheapened the food that they served to the the point of being
inedible.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2014-05-05 4:33 PM, sf wrote:
>> On Mon, 05 May 2014 16:05:06 -0400, Goomba >
>> wrote:

>>> Thank you (and your friend) for this.

>> You're very welcome. I'll pass your thanks on to her.
>>
>>> I was surprised by how little is written about Denver on Chowhound, by
>>> usual favorite site when visiting new places.
>>>

>> I saw! The page I read said the Denver part of Chowhound was almost
>> dead. It can't be *that* bad in Denver! Maybe they're too busy
>> working, skiing and eating out to write about it in Chowhound.
>>

> The closest I was to Denver Boulder and Longmont and we had one restaurant
> meal in each. Neither was particularly good. Restaurant choice was my
> wife's cousins, and I don't know them very well, but I don't think they
> could be called foodies. We did have a nice breakfast at a place between
> Longmont and Estes Park. The food in restaurants in Estes Park was not
> at all impressive.
>
> Based on my limited experience there, I would suggest that you go to
> Denver for the scenery, not for the food.

Unless things have changed since I was there, I am inclined to agree with
you. My aunt cooked several meals or took us out of town to eat most of the
time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 05 May 2014 13:31:49 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2014-05-05 1:21 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> On 5/5/2014 1:00 PM, Goomba wrote:
>>> Denver Restaurant Recommendations Needed
>>>
>>> I have never been to Denver- need to know what local specialties there
>>> might be? Good places to eat?
>>>
>>> TIA
>>> Goomba

>> If you don't get answers here, I always found asking at the front desk
>> (assuming you'll be in a hotel) is helpful. Tell them if you're looking
>> for a mom & pop type place or a chain. Have fun!
>>

>A lot of hotels have some sort of arrangement with local restaurants, so
>they are likely to tell you the ones that give them a kick back.

Until a couple of years ago, I worked part-time in the local LCBO
(liquor store). We would *always* give honest references for
restaurants. There are a few places in town that are great, and those
are the ones we would recommend.

Doris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/5/14 5:12 PM, jay wrote:

> Green Russell is an awesome speakeasy! Never seen anything like it.
> The entry is a secret sort of... it is underground at 1422 Larimer St.
>
> http://www.greenrussell.com/
>

> Go into the pie shop located at 1422 Larimer St and ask for a drink.
> They will lead you underground to an incredible bar experience. Larimer
> Street has a number of very nice restaurants and shops.
>
> http://www.wednesdayspie.com/
>

> Get your western attire he
>
> http://www.rockmount.com/
>
> Have fun!
>
> jay

Now this sounds like a plan! fun!! Thanks!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-05-05 8:53 PM, jmcquown wrote:

> No, but then I'm not the one who suggested the hotel employees might
> steer Goomba to a place the hotel has some sort of arrangement with.
> Over the years John and I have been told about a number of very good
> local eateries by hotel employees. They're happy to offer suggestions.

I said it because my son used to work in a hotel and that is what they
did. In fact, shortly after he started at the first one there was an
orientation evening and several of them were taken out for dinner and
drinks at a couple of them. What university student working their way
through school wouldn't be impress. The the last time I stayed in a
hotel the girl at the desk offered three suggestions. Then when we got
to our room and I looked through the literature in the room they had
information about those same three restaurants.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/6/2014 6:53 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2014-05-05 8:53 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>>>

>> No, but then I'm not the one who suggested the hotel employees might
>> steer Goomba to a place the hotel has some sort of arrangement with.
>> Over the years John and I have been told about a number of very good
>> local eateries by hotel employees. They're happy to offer suggestions.
>>

> I said it because my son used to work in a hotel and that is what they
> did. In fact, shortly after he started at the first one there was an
> orientation evening and several of them were taken out for dinner and
> drinks at a couple of them. What university student working their way
> through school wouldn't be impress. The the last time I stayed in a
> hotel the girl at the desk offered three suggestions. Then when we got
> to our room and I looked through the literature in the room they had
> information about those same three restaurants.

Doesn't matter to me if the hotel and restaurant have some sort of deal
worked out. As long as the food is good, what's the difference?

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-05-06 9:20 AM, jmcquown wrote:

>> I said it because my son used to work in a hotel and that is what they
>> did. In fact, shortly after he started at the first one there was an
>> orientation evening and several of them were taken out for dinner and
>> drinks at a couple of them. What university student working their way
>> through school wouldn't be impress. The the last time I stayed in a
>> hotel the girl at the desk offered three suggestions. Then when we got
>> to our room and I looked through the literature in the room they had
>> information about those same three restaurants.
>>

> Doesn't matter to me if the hotel and restaurant have some sort of deal
> worked out. As long as the food is good, what's the difference?

I think that the difference is that they are telling you about what they
are being paid to tell you because of an arrangement they have with the
management or what they know from the extensive dining experience of
someone who is working in an entry level job. Most of them don't have
any direct knowledge of the local restaurants. It might be different in
a small town where they would be more likely to have eaten in all of the
few restaurants around.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, May 5, 2014 11:00:39 AM UTC-6, Goomba38 wrote:
> Denver Restaurant Recommendations Needed
>

> I have never been to Denver- need to know what local specialties there
>
> might be? Good places to eat?
>

> TIA
>
> Goomba

I live 2 miles from downtown Denver. Downtown favorites that are not chain stores a Panzano absolutely great food
Venice Downtown very good Italian
Sams3 A diner with great breakfast and generous cocktails
Elway's downtown or Cherry Creek, steaks good but not special
Keg Steakhouse A small chain with good steak and good prices

Outside of downtown there is East 17th Avenue that is restaurant row. Everything from diners to fine dining. This area is close to downtown and starts at the uptown area. The places on East 17th Ave a
Avenue Grill not as good as it was, but still good
Hamburger Marys OK it is a franchise but fun and great patio for afternoon
Humboldts new and very good
Gumbos moved from downtown a few years back, good Cajun food
Tony P's for pizza
Limon a Latin american bistro

On a summer eve we like to walk along 17th Avenue and go into the various places for a drink and an appetizer. It is a walk friendly area. We live on 17th Avenue just past the restaurant area, so we can walk on home, no driving.

One of the best restaurants in Denver is Mizuna - Great but expensive

Highland area and the HiLo area are up and coming with great local places.
Linger is a great place for drinks and small plates

Don't over think the decision. There are good restaurants all over town. Experiment and have fun.
Dale P
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/6/2014 9:20 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 5/6/2014 6:53 AM, Dave Smith wrote:

>> through school wouldn't be impress. The the last time I stayed in a
>> hotel the girl at the desk offered three suggestions. Then when we got
>> to our room and I looked through the literature in the room they had
>> information about those same three restaurants.
>>

> Doesn't matter to me if the hotel and restaurant have some sort of deal
> worked out. As long as the food is good, what's the difference?

Who knows if it's good food or not. They're being paid to steer
people there, probably just a tourist trap. Not really what I
have in mind if I ask for a recommendation.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-05-06 9:53 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 5/6/2014 9:20 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>> On 5/6/2014 6:53 AM, Dave Smith wrote:

>>> through school wouldn't be impress. The the last time I stayed in a
>>> hotel the girl at the desk offered three suggestions. Then when we got
>>> to our room and I looked through the literature in the room they had
>>> information about those same three restaurants.
>>>

>> Doesn't matter to me if the hotel and restaurant have some sort of deal
>> worked out. As long as the food is good, what's the difference?

> Who knows if it's good food or not. They're being paid to steer
> people there, probably just a tourist trap. Not really what I
> have in mind if I ask for a recommendation.

That was pretty much my point. I was beginning to wonder what the
problem was with me that I would think that. As I mentioned earlier,
when my son worked at a nice hotel in old Montreal he got a night out at
a couple of the local restaurants that had some sort of deal with the
hotel to steer business their way. At least in that case he had some
personal experience with it.

My experience with restaurants in or near hotels tend to be very
expensive. A lot of their business is from people on expense accounts
or not daring enough to wander. If you get further away you can usually
find better food and better prices. The people who work at the front
desk usually aren't the best informed about good restaurants.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 06 May 2014 09:20:28 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 5/6/2014 6:53 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> > On 2014-05-05 8:53 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> >>>
> >> No, but then I'm not the one who suggested the hotel employees might
> >> steer Goomba to a place the hotel has some sort of arrangement with.
> >> Over the years John and I have been told about a number of very good
> >> local eateries by hotel employees. They're happy to offer suggestions.
> >>

> > I said it because my son used to work in a hotel and that is what they
> > did. In fact, shortly after he started at the first one there was an
> > orientation evening and several of them were taken out for dinner and
> > drinks at a couple of them. What university student working their way
> > through school wouldn't be impress. The the last time I stayed in a
> > hotel the girl at the desk offered three suggestions. Then when we got
> > to our room and I looked through the literature in the room they had
> > information about those same three restaurants.
> >

> Doesn't matter to me if the hotel and restaurant have some sort of deal
> worked out. As long as the food is good, what's the difference?

That's my attitude too.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 06 May 2014 09:53:20 -0400, Nancy Young
> wrote:

> On 5/6/2014 9:20 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> > On 5/6/2014 6:53 AM, Dave Smith wrote:

> >> through school wouldn't be impress. The the last time I stayed in a
> >> hotel the girl at the desk offered three suggestions. Then when we got
> >> to our room and I looked through the literature in the room they had
> >> information about those same three restaurants.
> >>

> > Doesn't matter to me if the hotel and restaurant have some sort of deal
> > worked out. As long as the food is good, what's the difference?

> Who knows if it's good food or not. They're being paid to steer
> people there, probably just a tourist trap. Not really what I
> have in mind if I ask for a recommendation.

I worked at the concierge desk when I was just out of college and I
personally knew the restaurants that I recommended. I had prior
experience with most and was comp'd a meal at those I didn't, so I
knew the menu and the atmosphere personally. No idea how it works
now. It seems like concierge and bell men occupy the same desk at
some hotels.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 06 May 2014 11:31:34 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> The people who work at the front
> desk usually aren't the best informed about good restaurants.

They are if you get specific and ask where *they* like to eat.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/6/2014 11:59 AM, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 06 May 2014 11:31:34 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>> The people who work at the front
>> desk usually aren't the best informed about good restaurants.

> They are if you get specific and ask where *they* like to eat.

Here's hoping it's not McDonald's.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> The people who work at the front
> desk usually aren't the best informed about good restaurants.

Ask the valet or other non-concierge person and you're likely to get far
better recommendations, certainly that has been my experience.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-05-06 12:30 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 5/6/2014 11:59 AM, sf wrote:
>> On Tue, 06 May 2014 11:31:34 -0400, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> The people who work at the front
>>> desk usually aren't the best informed about good restaurants.

>> They are if you get specific and ask where *they* like to eat.
>>

> Here's hoping it's not McDonald's.

You might be surprised at how many people are actually looking for
McDonalds. Most of the time that I was working I was at the side of a
road somewhere and several times I had people stop and ask me where was
the nearest McDonalds. Those things are everywhere, and it is not just
the locals who eat in them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 06 May 2014 12:30:18 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 5/6/2014 11:59 AM, sf wrote:
> > On Tue, 06 May 2014 11:31:34 -0400, Dave Smith
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> The people who work at the front
> >> desk usually aren't the best informed about good restaurants.

> > They are if you get specific and ask where *they* like to eat.
> >

> Here's hoping it's not McDonald's.

If they say: at least they're being honest. I've been in situations
where there was nothing but chains to chose from and I am not familiar
with sit down type chains of the Applebee's/Cracker Barrel/TGIF
variety... so I'd go by their assessment of the local situation.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 06 May 2014 12:47:39 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> You might be surprised at how many people are actually looking for
> McDonalds. Most of the time that I was working I was at the side of a
> road somewhere and several times I had people stop and ask me where was
> the nearest McDonalds. Those things are everywhere, and it is not just
> the locals who eat in them.

What surprised me was how many Subways are scattered all over the USA
and in not very populated areas, so you know their business is coming
straight from the Interstate.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/6/2014 12:47 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2014-05-06 12:30 PM, jmcquown wrote:

>> Here's hoping it's not McDonald's.

> You might be surprised at how many people are actually looking for
> McDonalds. Most of the time that I was working I was at the side of a
> road somewhere and several times I had people stop and ask me where was
> the nearest McDonalds. Those things are everywhere, and it is not just
> the locals who eat in them.

If I'm on the road, with a destination in mind, I'm going to want
fast food. I'm not looking for a real dining experience, just
some food as fuel. Of course there are exceptions, but I'm not
surprised people on the highway just want to know where to grab
a quick, no-surprises bite to eat and a restroom.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-05-06 1:23 PM, Nancy Young wrote:

>> You might be surprised at how many people are actually looking for
>> McDonalds. Most of the time that I was working I was at the side of a
>> road somewhere and several times I had people stop and ask me where was
>> the nearest McDonalds. Those things are everywhere, and it is not just
>> the locals who eat in them.

> If I'm on the road, with a destination in mind, I'm going to want
> fast food. I'm not looking for a real dining experience, just
> some food as fuel. Of course there are exceptions, but I'm not
> surprised people on the highway just want to know where to grab
> a quick, no-surprises bite to eat and a restroom.

Yeah,I guess there is that attitude. I agree that with McD's you know
what you will be getting. My personal experience is that I know I will
be suffering from gastric distress shortly after eating there. I have
not eaten anything from McDs in a long time.

However, the OP was about places to eat in Denver, not on the road to
there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
news
> On Tue, 06 May 2014 12:47:39 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>

>> You might be surprised at how many people are actually looking for
>> McDonalds. Most of the time that I was working I was at the side of a
>> road somewhere and several times I had people stop and ask me where was
>> the nearest McDonalds. Those things are everywhere, and it is not just
>> the locals who eat in them.

> What surprised me was how many Subways are scattered all over the USA
> and in not very populated areas, so you know their business is coming
> straight from the Interstate.

We walked past a 'Subway' today and the smell coming out of it was not
pleasant!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/6/2014 1:30 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2014-05-06 1:23 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
>

>>> You might be surprised at how many people are actually looking for
>>> McDonalds. Most of the time that I was working I was at the side of a
>>> road somewhere and several times I had people stop and ask me where was
>>> the nearest McDonalds. Those things are everywhere, and it is not just
>>> the locals who eat in them.

>> If I'm on the road, with a destination in mind, I'm going to want
>> fast food. I'm not looking for a real dining experience, just
>> some food as fuel. Of course there are exceptions, but I'm not
>> surprised people on the highway just want to know where to grab
>> a quick, no-surprises bite to eat and a restroom.

> Yeah,I guess there is that attitude. I agree that with McD's you know
> what you will be getting. My personal experience is that I know I will
> be suffering from gastric distress shortly after eating there. I have
> not eaten anything from McDs in a long time.
>
> However, the OP was about places to eat in Denver, not on the road to
> there.

Of course, I was responding to your comment about people asking
for MCD's on the road.

If I was in some hotel, I'd look it up on my cell phone or in the
yellow pages if some fast food chain was what I was looking for.
In n Out comes to mind. But, it doesn't fall under the heading
of asking for restaurant recommendations.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/6/2014 2:22 PM, Ophelia wrote:

>> What surprised me was how many Subways are scattered all over the USA
>> and in not very populated areas, so you know their business is coming
>> straight from the Interstate.

> We walked past a 'Subway' today and the smell coming out of it was not
> pleasant!

Amazes me how well they do. I know a guy that goes there because the
bread is so good! Evidently, he has never had anything other than
Wonder Bread in his life.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 5/6/2014 2:22 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>>> What surprised me was how many Subways are scattered all over the USA
>>> and in not very populated areas, so you know their business is coming
>>> straight from the Interstate.

>> We walked past a 'Subway' today and the smell coming out of it was not
>> pleasant!
>>

> Amazes me how well they do. I know a guy that goes there because the
> bread is so good! Evidently, he has never had anything other than Wonder
> Bread in his life.

I've never eaten there but it wouldn't surprise me.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/6/2014 2:30 PM, Nancy Young wrote:

> If I was in some hotel, I'd look it up on my cell phone or in the
> yellow pages if some fast food chain was what I was looking for.
> In n Out comes to mind. But, it doesn't fall under the heading
> of asking for restaurant recommendations.
>
> nancy

Often, after a long day of travel you really don't want to go out and
drive some more. Some hotels have a decent meal in their own restaurant.

Anyone traveling with electronics can easily find reviews of places
nearby though. Yelp, Rich locations, etc.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> On 5/6/2014 11:59 AM, sf wrote:
> > On Tue, 06 May 2014 11:31:34 -0400, Dave Smith
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> The people who work at the front
> >> desk usually aren't the best informed about good restaurants.

> > They are if you get specific and ask where *they* like to eat.
> >

> Here's hoping it's not McDonald's.

Nothing wrong at all about McDonald's. If that's where you like to eat
then go for it and enjoy.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/6/2014 10:23 AM, Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> On 5/6/2014 11:59 AM, sf wrote:
>>> On Tue, 06 May 2014 11:31:34 -0400, Dave Smith

>>> They are if you get specific and ask where *they* like to eat.
>>>

>> Here's hoping it's not McDonald's.

> Nothing wrong at all about McDonald's. If that's where you like to eat
> then go for it and enjoy.
>
> G.

I had a sausage McMuffin this morning. It was kind of a gutbuster but at
one dollar, I can't complain. There was nothing wrong with the sandwich
since it was one sausage patty, one slice of American cheese, between an
English muffin. Three ingredients, about as simple as you can get.