Old 05-05-2014, 06:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Denver Restaurant Recommendations

Denver Restaurant Recommendations Needed

I have never been to Denver- need to know what local specialties there
might be? Good places to eat?

TIA
Goomba

Old 05-05-2014, 06:21 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/5/2014 1:00 PM, Goomba wrote:
Denver Restaurant Recommendations Needed

I have never been to Denver- need to know what local specialties there
might be? Good places to eat?

TIA
Goomba

If you don't get answers here, I always found asking at the front desk
(assuming you'll be in a hotel) is helpful. Tell them if you're looking
for a mom & pop type place or a chain. Have fun!

Jill
Old 05-05-2014, 06:31 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-05-05 1:21 PM, jmcquown wrote:
On 5/5/2014 1:00 PM, Goomba wrote:
Denver Restaurant Recommendations Needed

I have never been to Denver- need to know what local specialties there
might be? Good places to eat?

TIA
Goomba

If you don't get answers here, I always found asking at the front desk
(assuming you'll be in a hotel) is helpful. Tell them if you're looking
for a mom & pop type place or a chain. Have fun!

A lot of hotels have some sort of arrangement with local restaurants, so
they are likely to tell you the ones that give them a kick back.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 05 May 2014 13:00:39 -0400, Goomba
wrote:

Denver Restaurant Recommendations Needed

I have never been to Denver- need to know what local specialties there
might be? Good places to eat?

I asked a friend who moved to Denver 3 or 4 years ago. She says:

I'm technically still not a local but if they are staying in downtown
Denver, the "LODO" area has a bunch of great restaurants. Rioja,
ChoLon BIstro, Tag. Pearl St is also a great area.... Izakaya Den.
FOR a crazy but delicious food experience... The Buckhorn Exchange,
oldest restaurant in Denver/first liquor license issued in Denver.
Kind of in an obscure area.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-05-05 1:21 PM, jmcquown wrote:
On 5/5/2014 1:00 PM, Goomba wrote:
Denver Restaurant Recommendations Needed

I have never been to Denver- need to know what local specialties there
might be? Good places to eat?

TIA
Goomba

If you don't get answers here, I always found asking at the front desk
(assuming you'll be in a hotel) is helpful. Tell them if you're looking
for a mom & pop type place or a chain. Have fun!

A lot of hotels have some sort of arrangement with local restaurants, so
they are likely to tell you the ones that give them a kick back.

Probably, but then we don't know where she'll be staying.

Jill

Old 05-05-2014, 07:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:

Denver Restaurant Recommendations Needed

I have never been to Denver- need to know what local specialties there
might be? Good places to eat?

TIA
Goomba

I've heard Denver Biscuit Co. is good, however when I was in the area
the line around the block did away with the idea of trying it.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:10 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-05-05 1:21 PM, jmcquown wrote:
On 5/5/2014 1:00 PM, Goomba wrote:
Denver Restaurant Recommendations Needed

I have never been to Denver- need to know what local specialties there
might be? Good places to eat?

TIA
Goomba

If you don't get answers here, I always found asking at the front desk
(assuming you'll be in a hotel) is helpful. Tell them if you're looking
for a mom & pop type place or a chain. Have fun!

A lot of hotels have some sort of arrangement with local restaurants, so
they are likely to tell you the ones that give them a kick back.

Probably, but then we don't know where she'll be staying.

Do we need to?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Old 05-05-2014, 09:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/5/14 2:14 PM, sf wrote:

I asked a friend who moved to Denver 3 or 4 years ago. She says:

I'm technically still not a local but if they are staying in downtown
Denver, the "LODO" area has a bunch of great restaurants. Rioja,
ChoLon BIstro, Tag. Pearl St is also a great area.... Izakaya Den.
FOR a crazy but delicious food experience... The Buckhorn Exchange,
oldest restaurant in Denver/first liquor license issued in Denver.
Kind of in an obscure area.

Thank you (and your friend) for this.
I was surprised by how little is written about Denver on Chowhound, by
usual favorite site when visiting new places.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 05 May 2014 16:05:06 -0400, Goomba
wrote:

On 5/5/14 2:14 PM, sf wrote:

I asked a friend who moved to Denver 3 or 4 years ago. She says:

I'm technically still not a local but if they are staying in downtown
Denver, the "LODO" area has a bunch of great restaurants. Rioja,
ChoLon BIstro, Tag. Pearl St is also a great area.... Izakaya Den.
FOR a crazy but delicious food experience... The Buckhorn Exchange,
oldest restaurant in Denver/first liquor license issued in Denver.
Kind of in an obscure area.

Thank you (and your friend) for this.

You're very welcome. I'll pass your thanks on to her.

I was surprised by how little is written about Denver on Chowhound, by
usual favorite site when visiting new places.

I saw! The page I read said the Denver part of Chowhound was almost
dead. It can't be *that* bad in Denver! Maybe they're too busy
working, skiing and eating out to write about it in Chowhound.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

On 5/5/14 2:14 PM, sf wrote:

I asked a friend who moved to Denver 3 or 4 years ago. She says:

I'm technically still not a local but if they are staying in downtown
Denver, the "LODO" area has a bunch of great restaurants. Rioja,
ChoLon BIstro, Tag. Pearl St is also a great area.... Izakaya Den.
FOR a crazy but delicious food experience... The Buckhorn Exchange,
oldest restaurant in Denver/first liquor license issued in Denver.
Kind of in an obscure area.

Thank you (and your friend) for this.

You're very welcome. I'll pass your thanks on to her.

I was surprised by how little is written about Denver on Chowhound, by
usual favorite site when visiting new places.

I saw! The page I read said the Denver part of Chowhound was almost
dead. It can't be *that* bad in Denver! Maybe they're too busy
working, skiing and eating out to write about it in Chowhound.

The closest I was to Denver Boulder and Longmont and we had one
restaurant meal in each. Neither was particularly good. Restaurant
choice was my wife's cousins, and I don't know them very well, but I
don't think they could be called foodies. We did have a nice breakfast
at a place between Longmont and Estes Park. The food in restaurants in
Estes Park was not at all impressive.

Based on my limited experience there, I would suggest that you go to
Denver for the scenery, not for the food.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Denver Restaurant Recommendations Needed

I have never been to Denver- need to know what local specialties there
might be? Good places to eat?

TIA
Goomba

Where is Gloria? She probably knows better than any of us since she
lives there. I have an address for her if you need it. Email me.
--
Susan N.

Old 06-05-2014, 12:36 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article , Goomba
wrote:

Denver Restaurant Recommendations Needed

I have never been to Denver- need to know what local specialties there
might be? Good places to eat?

The best steak I ever ate was in Denver, well, in the suburb of Aurora.
The restaurant was called the "Aurora Summit". That sublime steak was
consumed in the late eighties, and they've changed their name by
dropping Aurora.
It's now http://www.opentable.com/the-summit-steakhouse.
It's "possible" that the menu/quality has changed. Still, "The Summit"
is in business to this day, and that says something. Just a thought.

leo
Old 06-05-2014, 01:53 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-05-05 1:21 PM, jmcquown wrote:
On 5/5/2014 1:00 PM, Goomba wrote:
Denver Restaurant Recommendations Needed

I have never been to Denver- need to know what local specialties there
might be? Good places to eat?

TIA
Goomba

If you don't get answers here, I always found asking at the front desk
(assuming you'll be in a hotel) is helpful. Tell them if you're
looking
for a mom & pop type place or a chain. Have fun!

A lot of hotels have some sort of arrangement with local restaurants, so
they are likely to tell you the ones that give them a kick back.

Probably, but then we don't know where she'll be staying.

Do we need to?

No, but then I'm not the one who suggested the hotel employees might
steer Goomba to a place the hotel has some sort of arrangement with.
Over the years John and I have been told about a number of very good
local eateries by hotel employees. They're happy to offer suggestions.

Jill
Old 06-05-2014, 03:20 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

On 5/5/14 2:14 PM, sf wrote:

I asked a friend who moved to Denver 3 or 4 years ago. She says:

I'm technically still not a local but if they are staying in downtown
Denver, the "LODO" area has a bunch of great restaurants. Rioja,
ChoLon BIstro, Tag. Pearl St is also a great area.... Izakaya Den.
FOR a crazy but delicious food experience... The Buckhorn Exchange,
oldest restaurant in Denver/first liquor license issued in Denver.
Kind of in an obscure area.

Thank you (and your friend) for this.

You're very welcome. I'll pass your thanks on to her.

I was surprised by how little is written about Denver on Chowhound, by
usual favorite site when visiting new places.

I saw! The page I read said the Denver part of Chowhound was almost
dead. It can't be *that* bad in Denver! Maybe they're too busy
working, skiing and eating out to write about it in Chowhound.

I have eaten in Denver but most of the places I ate at are probably no
longer there as it was over 30 years ago. Casa Bonita is still there but
from what I read online, it is no longer good. It was a nice Mexican place
when we were there. Beautiful interior with nearly nude male cliff divers
for entertainment. But from what I read, not only did they let the place go
but they cheapened the food that they served to the the point of being
inedible.

Old 06-05-2014, 03:22 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

On 5/5/14 2:14 PM, sf wrote:

[...]

Unless things have changed since I was there, I am inclined to agree with
you. My aunt cooked several meals or took us out of town to eat most of the
time.