Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default OT Need science help, cat!

"Janet" > wrote in message
t...
> In article >, says...
>>
>> "Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message
>> > so "Kids of that age are old enough to do or not do for themselves and
>> > then suffer the consequences if they don't do it right." but you are
>> > here soliciting data for her so she doesn't suffer those consequences

>> > but you are here soliciting data for her so she doesn't suffer those
>> > consequences

>> And why shouldn't I?

> Because it's contrary to the professional advice given by her
> teachers, that she is at an age when "kids are old enough to do or not
> do for themselves and suffer the consequences if they don't do it
> right".
>
> You failed to let her learn that very important lesson when you were
> toon ill to buy or cook food. Now you're failing her again by trying to
> do her homework for her.
>
> When you train her to be helpless, lazy, dependent and incompetent,
> Angela will pay the price.

I didn't do her homework for her. She couldn't very well ask here. I
asked. I got one response. That was perfect! She only needed one more
person. I helped her friend with his project. He needed one more person
too. I was that person.

She only knows so many people. I'm not going to have her go out and ask
strangers.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> "dsi1" > wrote in message
> > On 5/5/2014 10:14 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
> >>
> >> "dsi1" > wrote in message
> >>
> >> The lesson she should get out of this is that research is a tough gig
> >> and that it's difficult to design an experiment, even one that appears
> >> simple. The most important lesson she should learn is that the
> >> temptation to make up data is strong. Professionals do it all the time.
> >>
> >> ---
> >>
> >> And knowing what I know about this teacher, I believe that is exactly
> >> what he is trying to teach.

> > That would be great, teaching how things really work is more important
> > than teaching how things are supposed to work.

> That's how we do things here in the PNW!

shame you haven't taught your daughter this
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
dsi1 > wrote:

> On 5/5/2014 1:51 PM, Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:
> > In article >,
> > dsi1 > wrote:
> >> The lesson she should get out of this is that research is a tough gig and
> >> that it's difficult to design an experiment, even one that appears simple.
> >> The most important lesson she should learn is that the temptation to make
> >> up
> >> data is strong. Professionals do it all the time.

> > the lesson she will learn is that Mom will always bail her out
> >

> Either way, it's an important lesson. :-)

and here I thought that what we learned from such lessons was to not
have to repeat them
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> "Janet" > wrote in message
> t...

> >> And why shouldn't I?

> > Because it's contrary to the professional advice given by her
> > teachers, that she is at an age when "kids are old enough to do or not
> > do for themselves and suffer the consequences if they don't do it
> > right".
> >
> > You failed to let her learn that very important lesson when you were
> > toon ill to buy or cook food. Now you're failing her again by trying to
> > do her homework for her.
> >
> > When you train her to be helpless, lazy, dependent and incompetent,
> > Angela will pay the price.

> I didn't do her homework for her. She couldn't very well ask here. I
> asked. I got one response. That was perfect! She only needed one more
> person. I helped her friend with his project. He needed one more person
> too. I was that person.
>
> She only knows so many people. I'm not going to have her go out and ask
> strangers.

so boggle us with the depth of her research: how many subjects did she
have for her experiment?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> "Janet" > wrote in message
> t...
> > In article >,
> > says...
> >>
> >> "Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in
> >> message

> >> And why shouldn't I?

> > Because it's contrary to the professional advice given by her
> > teachers, that she is at an age when "kids are old enough to do or
> > not do for themselves and suffer the consequences if they don't do
> > it right".
> >
> > You failed to let her learn that very important lesson when you
> > were
> > toon ill to buy or cook food. Now you're failing her again by
> > trying to do her homework for her.
> >
> > When you train her to be helpless, lazy, dependent and
> > incompetent,
> > Angela will pay the price.

> I didn't do her homework for her.

of course you did. it was you that started this thread

> She couldn't very well ask here.

could she have asker elsewhere?

> I asked. I got one response. That was perfect! She only needed one
> more person.

which you didn't make clear in your original post

> I helped her friend with his project. He needed one more person too.
> I was that person.

so you were the subject of his project. BFD. did he have a cat? if not,
could your daughter have taken your cat to his house to get one of the
adults in the house to be a test subject...or ask one of them to come to
your house to be tested with your cat?

> She only knows so many people. I'm not going to have her go out and
> ask strangers.

Do you consider all of the students/teachers at her high school to be
strangers? what about the people at your church? what about using her
computer to join a forum that specializes in cats and asking there?

of course this begs the question: why have a project that requires real
live humans to be the test subjects when you don't have access to enough
human test subjects?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> "Janet" > wrote in message
>> t...
>> > In article >,
>> > says...

>> > Because it's contrary to the professional advice given by her
>> > teachers, that she is at an age when "kids are old enough to do or
>> > not do for themselves and suffer the consequences if they don't do
>> > it right".
>> >
>> > You failed to let her learn that very important lesson when you
>> > were
>> > toon ill to buy or cook food. Now you're failing her again by
>> > trying to do her homework for her.
>> >
>> > When you train her to be helpless, lazy, dependent and
>> > incompetent,
>> > Angela will pay the price.

>> I didn't do her homework for her.

> of course you did. it was you that started this thread
>

>> She couldn't very well ask here.

> could she have asker elsewhere?
>

>> I asked. I got one response. That was perfect! She only needed one
>> more person.

> which you didn't make clear in your original post
>

>> I helped her friend with his project. He needed one more person too.
>> I was that person.

> so you were the subject of his project. BFD. did he have a cat? if not,
> could your daughter have taken your cat to his house to get one of the
> adults in the house to be a test subject...or ask one of them to come to
> your house to be tested with your cat?
>

>> She only knows so many people. I'm not going to have her go out and
>> ask strangers.

> Do you consider all of the students/teachers at her high school to be
> strangers? what about the people at your church? what about using her
> computer to join a forum that specializes in cats and asking there?

The people at my *church*? Last time I looked, there wasn't an atheiest
church but even if there was, I wouldn't feel compelled to go to it! There
is a cat newsgroup and nobody posts to it. I know that people here have
cats. So I asked. It never hurts to ask.

She knows a lot of people but not all people like cats, have cats or were
able to come to our house at a time that was convenient for us. We have a
very tight schedule right now and in order to get all of those people over
here, she wound up missing dance class. Most of her friends have jobs and
have to go to work right after school. At any rate, it's all over now.
Give it a rest.

> of course this begs the question: why have a project that requires real
> live humans to be the test subjects when you don't have access to enough
> human test subjects?

Who cares!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> In article >,
> dsi1 > wrote:
>
>> On 5/5/2014 1:51 PM, Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:
>>>
>>> the lesson she will learn is that Mom will always bail her out
>>>

>> Either way, it's an important lesson. :-)

> and here I thought that what we learned from such lessons was to not
> have to repeat them

Lessons teach you how things work and they relate to each other. What
one chooses to do with this knowledge differs from person to person.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 5/7/2014 6:37 PM, Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:
>> In article >,
>> dsi1 > wrote:

>>> Either way, it's an important lesson. :-)

>> and here I thought that what we learned from such lessons was to not
>> have to repeat them
>>

> Lessons teach you how things work and they relate to each other. What one
> chooses to do with this knowledge differs from person to person.

Indeed! And I know of several people who fall into that idiotic category of
doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Such people can be very stubborn and hard headed.

Then there are those of us who try hard not to make the same mistakes and
still keep doing them. I would fall into that category. Mostly it is
forgetfulness. Such as... I will remember to get a drink before I sit down
at the computer. Then I sit down here and no drink. Or I will remember to
take some socks with me to put on after I get out of the shower. And then
realize once in the shower that I have forgotten the socks once again. Not
that any of these things have severe consequences and they only affect me
but still... Does get a tad annoying.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> "Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> >
> >> "Janet" > wrote in message
> >> t...

> >> I didn't do her homework for her.

> > of course you did. it was you that started this thread
> >

> >> She couldn't very well ask here.

> > could she have asker elsewhere?
> >

> >> I asked. I got one response. That was perfect! She only needed one
> >> more person.

> > which you didn't make clear in your original post
> >

> >> I helped her friend with his project. He needed one more person too.
> >> I was that person.

> > so you were the subject of his project. BFD. did he have a cat? if not,
> > could your daughter have taken your cat to his house to get one of the
> > adults in the house to be a test subject...or ask one of them to come to
> > your house to be tested with your cat?
> >

> >> She only knows so many people. I'm not going to have her go out and
> >> ask strangers.

> > Do you consider all of the students/teachers at her high school to be
> > strangers? what about the people at your church? what about using her
> > computer to join a forum that specializes in cats and asking there?

> The people at my *church*? Last time I looked, there wasn't an atheiest
> church but even if there was, I wouldn't feel compelled to go to it! There
> is a cat newsgroup and nobody posts to it.

there are also people who have cat oriented blogs

> I know that people here have
> cats. So I asked. It never hurts to ask.

except it wasn't your project, it was your daughters.

> She knows a lot of people

but you said she only knows so many people.

but not all people like cats, have cats or were
> able to come to our house at a time that was convenient for us. We have a
> very tight schedule right now and in order to get all of those people over
> here, she wound up missing dance class.

so she did ask them to come over. good. and she learned a lesson about
scheduling

> Most of her friends have jobs and
> have to go to work right after school.

most is not all

> At any rate, it's all over now.
> Give it a rest.

why? if you aren't taught what you are doing wrong, you'll just keep
doing it over and over

> > of course this begs the question: why have a project that requires real
> > live humans to be the test subjects when you don't have access to enough
> > human test subjects?

> Who cares!

you should

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> "dsi1" > wrote in message
> > On 5/7/2014 6:37 PM, Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:

> >> and here I thought that what we learned from such lessons was to
> >> not have to repeat them
> >>

> > Lessons teach you how things work and they relate to each other.
> > What one chooses to do with this knowledge differs from person to
> > person.

> Indeed! And I know of several people who fall into that idiotic
> category of doing the same thing over and over again and expecting
> different results. Such people can be very stubborn and hard headed.

you mean like someone who even though temporarily disabled by a
hospital stay would still allow herself to go thru the trouble of
shopping/cooking for her family instead of teaching them how to boil
water?

> Then there are those of us who try hard not to make the same mistakes
> and still keep doing them. I would fall into that category. Mostly
> it is forgetfulness. Such as... I will remember to get a drink
> before I sit down at the computer. Then I sit down here and no
> drink. Or I will remember to take some socks with me to put on after
> I get out of the shower. And then realize once in the shower that I
> have forgotten the socks once again. Not that any of these things
> have severe consequences and they only affect me but still... Does
> get a tad annoying.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, May 5, 2014 12:29:33 PM UTC-7, Julie Bove wrote:
> "dsi1" > wrote in message

> On Monday, May 5, 2014 3:19:12 AM UTC-10, barbie gee wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 3 May 2014, Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:

> > > I like the idea that for her science project she gets other people to do

> > > the research for her

> > yup, this. There's no science being done here at all, unless this is a

> > social psychology experiment.

> > Did I miss what the Control parts of the experiment are supposed to be?

> > This is how they do science nowadays?

> The control data is supposed to weed out variables that are not part of the
>
> study. In this case, you measure BP of groups of people sitting quietly and
>
> people sitting quietly petting a cat. My guess is that there won't be any
>
> differences. This is just my little old guess but it's a totally awesome
>
> guess!
>

> So far the differences have been so slight as to not really be a difference.
>
> The numbers have gone down, yes. But not by much.

Have her study include a cobra. that ought to produce some outstanding results.

It's Science Day St. Jockofgrapes General Cooking 0 12-04-2007 02:18 PM
Ham Before Science Doug Kanter General Cooking 11 02-02-2006 02:02 PM
Science Forum [email protected] General Cooking 0 23-07-2005 12:20 PM
art's and science xenophobe Wine 0 09-03-2005 03:00 AM
Science Lasantha Tea 58 14-01-2005 11:05 PM