Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Unknown callers

On 2014-05-02 11:40 AM, sf wrote:

> I hear ya. DD and SIL still have 805 cell phone numbers even though
> they've been in the SFBA for 10+ years. They're fine with it. They
> are programmed into all their friends/families phones and it would be
> a hassle for everyone if they changed their area code. I haven't even
> bothered to memorize their numbers, my phone just auto dials them for
> me.

That is my son's view. All his friends have his number in their phones,
mostly cells, and they are scattered all over..... Toronto, Montreal,
New York. They all have long distance plans, so they don't care. He was
also looking for work/career change for a while and didn't want to miss
any calls from prospective employers. However, he did land a good job in
the field he was interested in, is back this way and has settled into an
apartment closer to home. The only problem I have is with calling him
on my plan.

He has another issue with his cell, that being that he works very close
to the border and has to cope with roaming. Even though he works in
Canada he is closer to American cell towers.

I have similar issues on some of my bicycle rides. My wife has events to
attend in Fort Erie and Niagara on the Lake. She drops me off in Niagara
Falls and I cycle there and meet her. I start getting messages that I am
roaming.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

It is your phone and you are paying for it, so it is your privilege to answer or not. Since I am retired with no
expected emergency type phone calls like from a school or something, I never answer a call that is a
number I don't recognize or has no ID or the like. Generally, I click my cordless phone on and then off in
quick succession. I am receiving about one such call every 10 days or two weeks or so, so it must
work. I figure the system thinks it is a bad number when I do that.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, May 2, 2014 10:40:22 AM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:

> I have to pay long distance rates to call him in my cell, even though it
> could be a local call of he got a local number.

Check out Goggle voice. for free he can get a
number that is local to you and automatically
forwards all calls to his phone.

http://www.richardfisher.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/2/2014 11:46 AM, Helpful person wrote:
> On Friday, May 2, 2014 10:40:22 AM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> I have to pay long distance rates to call him in my cell, even though it
>> could be a local call of he got a local number.

> Check out Goggle voice. for free he can get a
> number that is local to you and automatically
> forwards all calls to his phone.
>
> http://www.richardfisher.com

I use Google voice when I am traveling abroad. I switch the house phone
to DH's number. His phone stays home. I activate hi9s number on Google
voice and I can get any calls in my email. I can either read a
transcript or listen to the calls. I never use the Google phone number,
though.

This way I am not using my phone on international roaming to get
messages. Works great.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:

>It is your phone and you are paying for it, so it is your privilege to answer or not. Since I am retired with no
>expected emergency type phone calls like from a school or something, I never answer a call that is a
>number I don't recognize or has no ID or the like. Generally, I click my cordless phone on and then off in
>quick succession. I am receiving about one such call every 10 days or two weeks or so, so it must
>work. I figure the system thinks it is a bad number when I do that.

How do you know if it's the same caller, you don't. Since using the
"Do Not Call Registry" I get very few solicitors. I answer all calls,
could be important, most doctor offices don't display their name or
number (to protect your privacy) it could be a computer call to verify
your appointment. My mail order pharmacy onlly displays one of
several states (they ship from several locations) and it's usually a
computer call telling me they mailed my Rx so to expect it shortly. I
get very few wrong numbers, last was about a week ago, some guy
apologized when he heard my voice, I asked what number he was calling,
he was one digit off, said he's old and his eyes aren't good (so now I
know his sisters number), was a local exchange, probably a neighbor.
I'm not paranoid about phone calls... if someone is selling something
I simply hang up... I'm much more annoyed by jehovas who ring my door
bell selling heysus... sometimes it's female jehovas, then I engage
them so I can brazenly check out their boobies. LOL Many years ago
there was a big black out in NYC but the land lines worked (no cells
back then, no caller ID either), I picked up the phone and it was a
female's voice but a wrong number, somehow we spoke for over an hour
and turned out we met and dated a few times until I discovered she was
jail bait, she sure didn't look fourteen.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-05-02 12:46 PM, Helpful person wrote:
> On Friday, May 2, 2014 10:40:22 AM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> I have to pay long distance rates to call him in my cell, even though it
>> could be a local call of he got a local number.

> Check out Goggle voice. for free he can get a
> number that is local to you and automatically
> forwards all calls to his phone.

What is the catch. Thanks to Google and FB I now have all sorts of ads
popping up because they think I might be interested in the products
based on my searches history.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/1/14, 1:19 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> I have two corded phones and neither has caller ID. I finally put a
> cordless in the kitchen so I can see who is calling. I frequently get
> automated calls from the school when I am cooking.

We have Verizon FIOS "triple play" -- cable tv, Internet, and telephone.

One great feature is that when the telephone rings, caller ID
information shows up immediately on the TV screen. We don't even have to
touch a phone unless we know who's calling...

--Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-05-02 2:50 PM, pltrgyst wrote:

> One great feature is that when the telephone rings, caller ID
> information shows up immediately on the TV screen. We don't even have to
> touch a phone unless we know who's calling...

I have that on my satellite TV. It works sporadically on the TV upstairs
and, according to the one downstairs, we have not had a call in about 5
years.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/2/14, 12:10 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

> I have similar issues on some of my bicycle rides. My wife has events to
> attend in Fort Erie and Niagara on the Lake. She drops me off in Niagara
> Falls and I cycle there and meet her. I start getting messages that I am
> roaming.

Niagara on the Lake? I'd have to stop off on every ride to sit at a
table sipping a bottle of Henry of Pelham's Baco Noir!

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, May 2, 2014 2:23:05 PM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2014-05-02 12:46 PM, Helpful person wrote:
>
> > Check out Goggle voice. for free he can get a
> > number that is local to you and automatically
> > forwards all calls to his phone.

> What is the catch. Thanks to Google and FB I now have all sorts of ads
> popping up because they think I might be interested in the products
> based on my searches history.

There's no catch.

http://www.richardfisher.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, May 2, 2014 3:12:29 PM UTC-4, pltrgyst wrote:
> On 5/2/14, 12:10 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>
> Niagara on the Lake? I'd have to stop off on every ride to sit at a
> table sipping a bottle of Henry of Pelham's Baco Noir!
>
> -- Larry

I assume you mean at the winery. One of my favorite
places. If you're looking for a good restaurant in
Niagara-on-the-Lake try The Stone Road Grill.

http://www.richardfisher.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Let your answering device screen all calls. No more do I run for any phone - between caller id and my answering feature, I am well shielded. It's no longer an issue, but I do feel for folks who can't afford these features. If they're smart, they won't run either. No call is so important to risk a fall.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, May 2, 2014 2:50:36 PM UTC-4, pltrgyst wrote:

> One great feature is that when the telephone rings, caller ID
>
> information shows up immediately on the TV screen. We don't even have to
>
> touch a phone unless we know who's calling...

What if one is not a big tv viewer? Do you still have a display on or near the phone?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, May 1, 2014 6:30:07 PM UTC-4, John Kuthe wrote:
> On Thu, 01 May 2014 13:13:48 -0400, James Silverton
>
> > wrote:
>

> >I suppose this is OT but they seem to call when I'm cooking or eating

> >and I wonder if telephone solicitors etc. realize that most people don't

> >have old-fashioned phones without displays. As far as I can tell, if a

> >caller has "Unknown name", "Caller not available", shows the calling

> >phone number, etc., they are generally people I don't want to talk to. I

> >have almost made the decision to ignore any of those unknowns. I don't

> >think I'll lose much.

> I let it go to voicemail!
>

> Most irritating callers don't even leave a message anyway.
>

> With the advent of CallerID years ago, I quickly extinguished my
>
> Pavlovian developed habituaton to puick up the phone right away. Now I
>
> run to look and see wwho's calling, and if I don't rtecognize the
>
> number/name (I say it in that order because SO many phone#s don't have
>
> a name anymore! :-( ) I just let it go to voicemail!
>

> John Kuthe...

Did that Pavlovian habit result from a job, maybe, where it was anathema not to answer on the first ring?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/2/2014 2:05 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2014-05-02 2:50 PM, pltrgyst wrote:
>
>> One great feature is that when the telephone rings, caller ID
>> information shows up immediately on the TV screen. We don't even have to
>> touch a phone unless we know who's calling...
>>

> I have that on my satellite TV. It works sporadically on the TV upstairs
> and, according to the one downstairs, we have not had a call in about 5
> years.

We had that when we had a land line phone. The TV receiver was plugged
into the phone line.

Got rid of the land line and now have a Verizon home phone. Kept the
land line number. I have a set of one master and three slave phones.
The base is plugged into the Verizon thingie so all the phones work off
of it. All the phones announce the caller and show the caller's name on
the handset.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/2/2014 2:41 PM, Helpful person wrote:
> On Friday, May 2, 2014 3:12:29 PM UTC-4, pltrgyst wrote:
>> On 5/2/14, 12:10 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> Niagara on the Lake? I'd have to stop off on every ride to sit at a
>> table sipping a bottle of Henry of Pelham's Baco Noir!
>>
>> -- Larry

> I assume you mean at the winery. One of my favorite
> places. If you're looking for a good restaurant in
> Niagara-on-the-Lake try The Stone Road Grill.
>
> http://www.richardfisher.com

Last time I was there we did the jet boat and found a wonderful store
with all kinds of jams.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/2/2014 3:02 PM, Kalmia wrote:
> On Friday, May 2, 2014 2:50:36 PM UTC-4, pltrgyst wrote:
>

>> One great feature is that when the telephone rings, caller ID
>>
>> information shows up immediately on the TV screen. We don't even have to
>>
>> touch a phone unless we know who's calling...

> What if one is not a big tv viewer? Do you still have a display on or near the phone?

Yes.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-05-02 3:12 PM, pltrgyst wrote:
> On 5/2/14, 12:10 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>
>> I have similar issues on some of my bicycle rides. My wife has events to
>> attend in Fort Erie and Niagara on the Lake. She drops me off in Niagara
>> Falls and I cycle there and meet her. I start getting messages that I am
>> roaming.

> Niagara on the Lake? I'd have to stop off on every ride to sit at a
> table sipping a bottle of Henry of Pelham's Baco Noir!

Great winery and their Baco Noir is excellent, but they are in
St.Catharines and closer to me. AAMOF, I will be driving past that
winery in about a half hour when I deliver my wife to catch a bus to
Toronto.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-05-02 3:41 PM, Helpful person wrote:
> On Friday, May 2, 2014 3:12:29 PM UTC-4, pltrgyst wrote:
>> On 5/2/14, 12:10 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> Niagara on the Lake? I'd have to stop off on every ride to sit at a
>> table sipping a bottle of Henry of Pelham's Baco Noir!
>>
>> -- Larry

> I assume you mean at the winery. One of my favorite
> places. If you're looking for a good restaurant in
> Niagara-on-the-Lake try The Stone Road Grill.

That is where we went for our anniversary dinner last year. I usually
avoid NotL restaurants because they are all so expensive. We used to go
the the Oban Inn at least once a month when were were first dating and
married. Then the prices seems to be a little more each time we went,
only 20-25 cents each time, but over the years that added up. The last
time I went there it was too expensive for me.

I love that ride and used to do it at least once a month when wife had
her pedicures done at a salon in Virgil. She would drop me off on the
west side of Niagara Falls and I would work my way over to the parkway
and take the bike trail to Notl, then over to Virgil.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-05-02 4:00 PM, Kalmia wrote:
> Let your answering device screen all calls. No more do I run for any
> phone - between caller id and my answering feature, I am well
> shielded. It's no longer an issue, but I do feel for folks who can't
> afford these features. If they're smart, they won't run either. No
> call is so important to risk a fall.

I am not that much of a curmudgeon .... yet. I still answer the phone.
Some of the regular pests have been blocked. I am on the Do Not Call
list, so anyone who calls me is fair game for me to treat as I see fit
at the time. If I am busy I will be rude and abrasive and point out that
I am on the DNC list. If I am bored and have time I have some fun with
them and try to waste as much of their time as I can. It's like playing
a fish. You have to make them think they are making a sale, then run a
bit, then let them think I am getting closer to their boat and then run
again. If I am wasting their time they are not annoying someone else.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-05-02 4:14 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 5/2/2014 2:41 PM, Helpful person wrote:
>> On Friday, May 2, 2014 3:12:29 PM UTC-4, pltrgyst wrote:
>>> On 5/2/14, 12:10 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>>>
>>> Niagara on the Lake? I'd have to stop off on every ride to sit at a
>>> table sipping a bottle of Henry of Pelham's Baco Noir!
>>>
>>> -- Larry

>> I assume you mean at the winery. One of my favorite
>> places. If you're looking for a good restaurant in
>> Niagara-on-the-Lake try The Stone Road Grill.
>>
>> http://www.richardfisher.com
>>

> Last time I was there we did the jet boat and found a wonderful store
> with all kinds of jams.

That would be Greaves.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 02 May 2014 14:23:05 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> On 2014-05-02 12:46 PM, Helpful person wrote:
> > On Friday, May 2, 2014 10:40:22 AM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
> >>
> >> I have to pay long distance rates to call him in my cell, even though it
> >> could be a local call of he got a local number.

> > Check out Goggle voice. for free he can get a
> > number that is local to you and automatically
> > forwards all calls to his phone.

> What is the catch. Thanks to Google and FB I now have all sorts of ads
> popping up because they think I might be interested in the products
> based on my searches history.

No catch with Google, in fact you don't need to do a Google lets you
call land lines and cell phones. Get yourself a permanent Google
number (free) and use it to call him. You'll access it through your
gmail account. Download Google Voice and then you'll have a phone
icon in the left column to click on. A dialer pops up on your screen
and you can figure out the rest. If the person's phone number is in
your gmail information, then all you need to do is click on the phone
icon next to their name.

I never see Google ads because I have an ad blocker installed - so the
bots can read key words and customize ads all day long, but I won't
see them.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, May 2, 2014 1:43:07 PM UTC-4, Brooklyn1 wrote:
Many years ago

> there was a big black out in NYC but the land lines worked (no cells
>
> back then, no caller ID either), I picked up the phone and it was a
>
> female's voice but a wrong number, somehow we spoke for over an hour
>
> and turned out we met and dated a few times until I discovered she was
>
> jail bait, she sure didn't look fourteen.

Dated 'a few times' til you discovered her age? That was some mature gal, or a very dark location. Was that the blackout of November '65? BIG spike in the birth numbers 9 mo later....
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, May 2, 2014 4:31:38 PM UTC-4, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2014-05-02 3:41 PM, Helpful person wrote:
> > On Friday, May 2, 2014 3:12:29 PM UTC-4, pltrgyst wrote:
> >> On 5/2/14, 12:10 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

> >> Niagara on the Lake? I'd have to stop off on every ride to sit at a
> >> table sipping a bottle of Henry of Pelham's Baco Noir!

> >> -- Larry

> > I assume you mean at the winery. One of my favorite
> > places. If you're looking for a good restaurant in
> > Niagara-on-the-Lake try The Stone Road Grill.

> That is where we went for our anniversary dinner last year. I usually
> avoid NotL restaurants because they are all so expensive. We used to go
> the the Oban Inn at least once a month when were were first dating and
> married. Then the prices seems to be a little more each time we went,
> only 20-25 cents each time, but over the years that added up. The last
> time I went there it was too expensive for me.
>
> I love that ride and used to do it at least once a month when wife had
> her pedicures done at a salon in Virgil. She would drop me off on the
> west side of Niagara Falls and I would work my way over to the parkway
> and take the bike trail to Notl, then over to Virgil.

The Oban Inn used to be my favorite place for
before theater dinner. Then it burned down.

Although I haven't been there for a few years I
assume Niagara-on-the-Lake still has the same
restaurant problem. Lot's of pretentious
expensive restaurants but almost no good ones.
(The Stone Road Grill and the Prince of Wales
being exceptions.)

Although quite crowded these days (I started
going there in 1985) it's still a special place.
My biggest regret is that much of the wonderful
fruit has given way to very mediocre wine.

http://www.richardfisher.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:

>Let your answering device screen all calls. No more do I run for
>any phone - between caller id and my answering feature, I am
>well shielded. It's no longer an issue, but I do feel for folks
>who can't afford these features. If they're smart, they won't
>run either. No call is so important to risk a fall.

Why do you need to run, can't you just walk? I have my answering
machine set for the phone to ring 10 times before it comes on... more
than enough time for me to stroll over from anywhere in my house...
and I have four phones plus two cordless... I usually need to restrain
myself from answering before two rings, because the caller ID needs
two rings to register. And there's not much to afford, most all
phones nowadays have caller ID, voice mail, and more features than one
will ever use, and for like $30. I bought this phone last year, works
great:
http://www.amazon.com/AT-1-Handset-L...31XWMJZ0W7B7HY

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 2 May 2014 13:45:21 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:

>On Friday, May 2, 2014 1:43:07 PM UTC-4, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> Many years ago
>>
>> there was a big blackout in NYC but the land lines worked (no cells
>>
>> back then, no caller ID either), I picked up the phone and it was a
>>
>> female's voice but a wrong number, somehow we spoke for over an hour
>>
>> and turned out we met and dated a few times until I discovered she was
>>
>> jail bait, she sure didn't look fourteen.

>Dated 'a few times' til you discovered her age? That was some mature gal, or a very dark location.

Some gals mature very young. Someone I worked with had an 11 year old
daughter who was more developed than most 18 year olds.

>Was that the blackout of November '65? BIG spike in the birth numbers 9 mo later....

That was the one.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 2 May 2014 13:02:05 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:

>On Friday, May 2, 2014 2:50:36 PM UTC-4, pltrgyst wrote:
>

>> One great feature is that when the telephone rings, caller ID
>>
>> information shows up immediately on the TV screen. We don't even have to
>>
>> touch a phone unless we know who's calling...

>What if one is not a big tv viewer? Do you still have a display on or near the phone?

Sure, any caller ID will work.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 02 May 2014 10:40:22 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>That's probably why they have to keep coming up with new area codes. We
>used to have one area code for Toronto, Hamilton, Niagara and further.
>Somewhere along the line Toronto got to keep that code and we got a new
>one. Now there are at least two other area codes in this area.
>
>At least we now have the option of keeping our numbers here now. It
>used to be that if you moved you got a new number. If you changed
>carriers you got a new number. Now you can keep it, so long as you are
>in the same exchange.

My daughter in CT still has her Las Vegas AC. Granddaughter in Las
Vegas has a CT area code. The AC is not a very good identifier of
location any more.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-05-02 4:46 PM, Helpful person wrote:

> Although I haven't been there for a few years I
> assume Niagara-on-the-Lake still has the same
> restaurant problem. Lot's of pretentious
> expensive restaurants but almost no good ones.
> (The Stone Road Grill and the Prince of Wales
> being exceptions.)
>
> Although quite crowded these days (I started
> going there in 1985) it's still a special place.
> My biggest regret is that much of the wonderful
> fruit has given way to very mediocre wine.

Every region has its mediocre wines. There are lots of excellent Niagara
wines. I think the best are from the Bench wineries.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-05-02 6:23 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> My daughter in CT still has her Las Vegas AC. Granddaughter in Las
> Vegas has a CT area code. The AC is not a very good identifier of
> location any more.

Tell me about it. No matter what area code shows up on those calls the
person with a very anglosized name has a thick Indian accent.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/2/2014 6:00 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2014-05-02 4:46 PM, Helpful person wrote:
>
>> Although I haven't been there for a few years I
>> assume Niagara-on-the-Lake still has the same
>> restaurant problem. Lot's of pretentious
>> expensive restaurants but almost no good ones.
>> (The Stone Road Grill and the Prince of Wales
>> being exceptions.)
>>
>> Although quite crowded these days (I started
>> going there in 1985) it's still a special place.
>> My biggest regret is that much of the wonderful
>> fruit has given way to very mediocre wine.

> Every region has its mediocre wines. There are lots of excellent Niagara
> wines. I think the best are from the Bench wineries.

I got ice wine up there many years ago. I liked it a lot though I
usually don't care for sweet wine. Good thing they sold tiny bottles as
that stuff is way, way expensive. To produce it takes a lot of money

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-05-02 20:13, Janet Wilder wrote:

>> Every region has its mediocre wines. There are lots of excellent Niagara
>> wines. I think the best are from the Bench wineries.
>>

> I got ice wine up there many years ago. I liked it a lot though I
> usually don't care for sweet wine. Good thing they sold tiny bottles as
> that stuff is way, way expensive. To produce it takes a lot of money

Y1p. It is pricey. It is soooo sweet that I can only handle a small
glass. I won't open it unless there are 6-8 people to help drink it once
it is opened. At that price I am not going to let it go to waste.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/2/2014 8:48 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2014-05-02 20:13, Janet Wilder wrote:
>
>>> Every region has its mediocre wines. There are lots of excellent Niagara
>>> wines. I think the best are from the Bench wineries.
>>>

>> I got ice wine up there many years ago. I liked it a lot though I
>> usually don't care for sweet wine. Good thing they sold tiny bottles as
>> that stuff is way, way expensive. To produce it takes a lot of money
>>

> Y1p. It is pricey. It is soooo sweet that I can only handle a small
> glass. I won't open it unless there are 6-8 people to help drink it once
> it is opened. At that price I am not going to let it go to waste.

I had my first taste of ice wine up there about a dozen years ago. I
buy it on occasion, but like you, I want to be sure it is gone in a day
or two. I understand it is risky to leave the grapes until just the
right time to harvest.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/2/14, 4:02 PM, Kalmia wrote:
> On Friday, May 2, 2014 2:50:36 PM UTC-4, pltrgyst wrote:
>
>> One great feature is that when the telephone rings, caller ID
>> information shows up immediately on the TV screen. We don't even have to
>> touch a phone unless we know who's calling...

> What if one is not a big tv viewer? Do you still have a display on or near the phone?

Yes -- each of the four wireless handsets also displays caller ID
information.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/2/2014 2:41 PM, Helpful person wrote:
>> On Friday, May 2, 2014 3:12:29 PM UTC-4, pltrgyst wrote:
>>> Niagara on the Lake? I'd have to stop off on every ride to sit at a
>>> table sipping a bottle of Henry of Pelham's Baco Noir!

> I assume you mean at the winery. One of my favorite
> places. If you're looking for a good restaurant in
> Niagara-on-the-Lake try The Stone Road Grill.

We discovered the Baco Noir at Shaw's Cafe and Wine Bar, which we've
enjoyed. We'll check out Stone Road next time up...thanks!

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I only turn on my answering machine if I am expecting a call-back from someone. Anyone who needs to talk to
me can call back. They know I am usually here since I am retired. Otherwise, the marketers
fill up the message space with crap. And yes, I am on the DNC list. If I accidentally answer a telemarketing call,
as soon as I start to say
I am on the do not call list, they hang up. And no matter how many times I fill out the FCC's online
complaint form, nothing ever happens. I haven't got the patience to play games with the idiots who ignore the law.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/1/2014 1:13 PM, James Silverton wrote:
> I suppose this is OT but they seem to call when I'm cooking or eating
> and I wonder if telephone solicitors etc. realize that most people don't
> have old-fashioned phones without displays. As far as I can tell, if a
> caller has "Unknown name", "Caller not available", shows the calling
> phone number, etc., they are generally people I don't want to talk to. I
> have almost made the decision to ignore any of those unknowns. I don't
> think I'll lose much.

Just ignore them. I haven't answered an unknown caller in years. I also
don't answer if i don't recognize the number. If I know them, they can
leave a message and i'll call back.

--
ღ.¸¸.œ«*¨`*œ¶
Cheryl
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/1/2014 6:37 PM, jmcquown wrote:

> In the US there was a food charity known as Angel Food Ministries. You
> order and buy boxes of food for $30. Frozen, yes. But that bought a
> box of food to feed a family of four including steaks, ground beef,
> chicken breasts, frozen vegetables, shelf stable milk. A carton of eggs
> with every box. The food was all donated by local food vendors. Great
> idea at the time. Until the "clergy" family running the outfit started
> paying themselves 6 figure salaries. I don't trust most charities.

Is that why they stopped Angel Food ministries? I never looked into
why, but it was a handy way to buy my sister a box of groceries at a
good price because there was a church just blocks from me that sold the
food. And she's had money troubles for years due to a deadbeat baby
daddy so I do what I can for them.

--
ღ.¸¸.œ«*¨`*œ¶
Cheryl
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/1/2014 4:31 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 5/1/2014 1:13 PM, James Silverton wrote:
>> I suppose this is OT but they seem to call when I'm cooking or eating
>> and I wonder if telephone solicitors etc. realize that most people don't
>> have old-fashioned phones without displays. As far as I can tell, if a
>> caller has "Unknown name", "Caller not available", shows the calling
>> phone number, etc., they are generally people I don't want to talk to. I
>> have almost made the decision to ignore any of those unknowns. I don't
>> think I'll lose much.
>>

> It's a particular thorn in my side, especially these days. Lately I'm
> getting calls from Unknown Caller with the phone number displayed as
> 000-000-0000. Can't exactly put that in the complaint for on the Do Not
> Call Registry. They're getting trickier all the time. It's no wonder I
> don't answer the phone most of the time.
>
> Jill

Enter it anyway. As long as you have the time of the call it can still
be investigated.

--
Cheryl

Unknown Meat (to me) questions Janet Wilder[_1_] Barbecue 9 27-07-2009 03:26 PM
Unknown puer architecture Space Cowboy Tea 8 23-09-2006 05:00 PM
My unknown Tuo Space Cowboy Tea 3 18-11-2005 03:37 AM
Unknown Tequila cocktail? Tim General 0 06-10-2003 08:43 PM