Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Now, for London broil

Wow! Guess where I found a "grass fed" London broil. Safeway! And
damned if the price wasn't very reasonable. Either it's a flat out
deception (I wouldn't be surprised) or the organic trend is starting
to catch hold. Regardless, I've got a 1 lb London broil. Never did
an Lb. What should I do with it? Much like flank steak, most recipes
online involve marinating. ???? I'm a lost-cause carnivore. Help me
maintain my animal-juiced jones.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, May 1, 2014 12:50:21 PM UTC-4, notbob wrote:
> Wow! Guess where I found a "grass fed" London broil. Safeway! And
> damned if the price wasn't very reasonable. Either it's a flat out
> deception (I wouldn't be surprised) or the organic trend is starting
> to catch hold. Regardless, I've got a 1 lb London broil. Never did
> an Lb. What should I do with it? Much like flank steak, most recipes
> online involve marinating. ???? I'm a lost-cause carnivore. Help me
> maintain my animal-juiced jones.

Could actually be flank steak. Or it could be top round. Or even a chuck
steak. They're all good. "London Broil" refers to the prep, as you probably
know.

Marinate it in your favorite marinade. Grill it, hot and quick (very hot
and very quick for only a one-pound chunk!). Keep it rare. Slice thinly.

I like this treatment, because garlic and rosemary, well ... drool:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/f...de-recipe.html

--
Silvar Beitel
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-05-01, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On 1 May 2014 16:50:21 GMT, notbob wrote:

> What you probably have is a piece of top round. It's cheap because
> it's not very friendly.

That would explain the cost. Not real cheap, but cheap for grass fed
beef. Hmmm.... I know top round is tough, even when pressure cooked.

I also know a good p/c beef bourguignon will work, but even round is too
tough for that dish. OTOH, never marinated round in wine. I recall
my mom usta make to-die-for lamb kabobs that were marinated in
OO/wine, overnight, and they were marshmellow tender, even off the
grill. I see an experiment in my future.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> Wow! Guess where I found a "grass fed" London broil. Safeway! And
> damned if the price wasn't very reasonable. Either it's a flat out
> deception (I wouldn't be surprised) or the organic trend is starting
> to catch hold. Regardless, I've got a 1 lb London broil. Never did
> an Lb. What should I do with it? Much like flank steak, most recipes
> online involve marinating. ???? I'm a lost-cause carnivore. Help me
> maintain my animal-juiced jones.

My mom frequently made it when my dad was alive and I doubt that she ever
marinated a thing in her life. She said that she made it in her toaster
oven. Her standard seasonings were either nothing or Mrs. Dash.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/1/2014 11:50 AM, notbob wrote:
> Wow! Guess where I found a "grass fed" London broil. Safeway! And
> damned if the price wasn't very reasonable. Either it's a flat out
> deception (I wouldn't be surprised) or the organic trend is starting
> to catch hold. Regardless, I've got a 1 lb London broil. Never did
> an Lb. What should I do with it? Much like flank steak, most recipes
> online involve marinating. ???? I'm a lost-cause carnivore. Help me
> maintain my animal-juiced jones.
>

> nb

It's probably round. The ones I used to get in New Jersey were cut
like a boomerang.

Marinate in red wine, lemon juice a little EVOO and lots of herbs.
Grill on a hot grill long enough to cook outside. Inside should be
rare. Slice on an angle thinly.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 1 May 2014 10:09:54 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

>On Thursday, May 1, 2014 12:50:21 PM UTC-4, notbob wrote:
>> Wow! Guess where I found a "grass fed" London broil. Safeway! And
>> damned if the price wasn't very reasonable. Either it's a flat out
>> deception (I wouldn't be surprised) or the organic trend is starting
>> to catch hold. Regardless, I've got a 1 lb London broil. Never did
>> an Lb. What should I do with it? Much like flank steak, most recipes
>> online involve marinating. ???? I'm a lost-cause carnivore. Help me
>> maintain my animal-juiced jones.

>Could actually be flank steak. Or it could be top round. Or even a chuck
>steak. They're all good. "London Broil" refers to the prep, as you probably
>know.
>
>Marinate it in your favorite marinade. Grill it, hot and quick (very hot
>and very quick for only a one-pound chunk!). Keep it rare. Slice thinly.

I do London broil at least once a month, almost always top round -
flank steak costs twice as much and I see nothing warranting that
exorbitant price other than there's a lot less flank steak than top
round per steer.. when both are marinated, properly cooked, and
properly sliced it's near impossible to tell which is which. I cooked
a 2 lb slab of top round last night and have half for tonight's
dinner, it's already sliced and will be eaten cold.

>I like this treatment, because garlic and rosemary, well ... drool:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/f...de-recipe.html

That's a slab of top round in the picture. That marinade is fine, I'd
try it... I usually mix up a batch on the fly, I tend towards oriental
marinades. On my trip to BJ's last week I picked up six huge slabs of
top round, each over 2 lbs... $4.79/lb... some will be London broil,
some could be beef barley 'shroom soup, some will be ground for
burgers or meat loaf. A good way to prep for marinading is to grab a
fork in each hand and stab alternately all over both sides.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1 May 2014 16:50:21 GMT, notbob > wrote:

> Wow! Guess where I found a "grass fed" London broil. Safeway! And
> damned if the price wasn't very reasonable. Either it's a flat out
> deception (I wouldn't be surprised) or the organic trend is starting
> to catch hold. Regardless, I've got a 1 lb London broil. Never did
> an Lb. What should I do with it? Much like flank steak, most recipes
> online involve marinating. ???? I'm a lost-cause carnivore. Help me
> maintain my animal-juiced jones.

I called around yesterday to find out what grass fed NY steak is going
for... it's +/- $23 lb. Ouch.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-05-01, Janet Wilder > wrote:

> Marinate in red wine, lemon juice a little EVOO and lots of herbs.
> Grill on a hot grill long enough to cook outside. Inside should be
> rare. Slice on an angle thinly.

Must be round. I know a flank steak and this ain't it.

Jes returned from buying couple bottles of red. Worcestershire or
soy? Got the rest. What kinda herbs? Thnx, Janet.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/1/2014 12:50 PM, notbob wrote:
> Wow! Guess where I found a "grass fed" London broil. Safeway! And
> damned if the price wasn't very reasonable. Either it's a flat out
> deception (I wouldn't be surprised) or the organic trend is starting
> to catch hold. Regardless, I've got a 1 lb London broil. Never did
> an Lb. What should I do with it? Much like flank steak, most recipes
> online involve marinating. ???? I'm a lost-cause carnivore. Help me
> maintain my animal-juiced jones.
>

> nb

I'd slap in on a hot grill, give it a good sear. Rest it and then cut
on an angle to help tenderness eating.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 01 May 2014 12:36:24 -0700, sf > wrote:

> On 1 May 2014 16:50:21 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>
> > Wow! Guess where I found a "grass fed" London broil. Safeway! And
> > damned if the price wasn't very reasonable. Either it's a flat out
> > deception (I wouldn't be surprised) or the organic trend is starting
> > to catch hold. Regardless, I've got a 1 lb London broil. Never did
> > an Lb. What should I do with it? Much like flank steak, most recipes
> > online involve marinating. ???? I'm a lost-cause carnivore. Help me
> > maintain my animal-juiced jones.
> >

> I called around yesterday to find out what grass fed NY steak is going
> for... it's +/- $23 lb. Ouch.

I went to Safeway today and they had grass fed rib-eye for $11.99 lb.
Their blurb online neatly sidesteps feed lots and corn/grain, so I
asked. The butcher was adamant that their beef was grass fed only....
because "they don't do that in Australia". Glad to hear it because
I've read that Argentina (of all places) has subscribed to the
practice of finishing beef off in a feed lot. <sob> Hopefully they
don't shoot their cattle full of hormones too, but I wouldn't be
surprised if they did.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/1/2014 12:50 PM, notbob wrote:
> Wow! Guess where I found a "grass fed" London broil. Safeway! And
> damned if the price wasn't very reasonable. Either it's a flat out
> deception (I wouldn't be surprised) or the organic trend is starting
> to catch hold. Regardless, I've got a 1 lb London broil. Never did
> an Lb. What should I do with it? Much like flank steak, most recipes
> online involve marinating. ???? I'm a lost-cause carnivore. Help me
> maintain my animal-juiced jones.
>

> nb

How many times do people have to say "london broil" is a method, not a
specific cut of meat? Kudos on the good price, however.

Of course you marinate it. It's not a tender cut of meat. It *is* a
lot like flank steak. Marinate it with whatever you'd use for a flank
steak. I've heard of people pouring a bottle of Italian salad dressing
over it and letting it sit in the fridge overnight. Heh. Or, use
teriyaki sauce, a dash of Worcestershire, minced onion, garlic, ginger,
pepper and a dash of oil. Then grill or broil it. Let it rest, then
slice it on the diagonal.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-05-02, jmcquown > wrote:

> over it and letting it sit in the fridge overnight.

Yeah, I put it in the fridge. Inna freezer bag in the fridge with a
wine/lemon/vin/herb marinade. I'll let it rot fer a couple days, then
grill when the wind dies down enough to not blow my grill kettle into
the river. It's insane wind, here.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/1/2014 11:09 PM, notbob wrote:
> On 2014-05-02, jmcquown > wrote:
>
>> over it and letting it sit in the fridge overnight.

> Yeah, I put it in the fridge. Inna freezer bag in the fridge with a
> wine/lemon/vin/herb marinade. I'll let it rot fer a couple days, then
> grill when the wind dies down enough to not blow my grill kettle into
> the river. It's insane wind, here.
>
> nb

Garlic in the marinade, too, I hope. It's been very windy here, too.
I'm sure it's worse at your elevation. Chain the grill down! <ducking>

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-05-02, jmcquown > wrote:

> Garlic in the marinade, too, I hope. It's been very windy here, too.
> I'm sure it's worse at your elevation. Chain the grill down! <ducking>

I was outta garlic (yikes!), so hadda use garlic salt. I'll get some,
today. Yesterday was the worst winds ever. Been insanely windy for
the last 3 wks. Supposed to stop, today.

nb --crossing fingers
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, May 1, 2014 12:50:21 PM UTC-4, notbob wrote:
> Wow!

One word: BeefJerky.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/2/2014 10:43 AM, notbob wrote:
> On 2014-05-02, jmcquown > wrote:
>
>> Garlic in the marinade, too, I hope. It's been very windy here, too.
>> I'm sure it's worse at your elevation. Chain the grill down! <ducking>

> I was outta garlic (yikes!), so hadda use garlic salt.

This is why I keep (yikes!) jarred chopped garlic in the fridge. Damn
those convenience items.

> today. Yesterday was the worst winds ever. Been insanely windy for
> the last 3 wks. Supposed to stop, today.
>
> nb --crossing fingers

Got a broiler in the oven?

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/2/2014 1:15 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 5/2/2014 10:43 AM, notbob wrote:
>> On 2014-05-02, jmcquown > wrote:
>>
>>> Garlic in the marinade, too, I hope. It's been very windy here, too.
>>> I'm sure it's worse at your elevation. Chain the grill down!
>>> <ducking>

>> I was outta garlic (yikes!), so hadda use garlic salt.

> This is why I keep (yikes!) jarred chopped garlic in the fridge. Damn
> those convenience items.

I found this product at, of all places, WalMart. It is little cubes of
garlic (they also had basil) in a plastic trays, similar to this one
http://www.dorot.co.il/?CategoryID=27&ArticleID=34

You keep it frozen then pop one out and put it in the pan. The only
thing it has besides finely chopped garlic is a bit of vegetable oil.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder wrote:
>notbob wrote:
>
> I was outta garlic (yikes!), so hadda use garlic salt.
>
>I found this product at, of all places, WalMart. It is little cubes of
>garlic (they also had basil) in a plastic trays, similar to this one
>http://www.dorot.co.il/?CategoryID=27&ArticleID=34
>
>You keep it frozen then pop one out and put it in the pan. The only
>thing it has besides finely chopped garlic is a bit of vegetable oil.

It's not often I run out of garlic but I always have granulated
garlic... the same as on the table at pizzarias.
http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...eysgarlic.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/2/2014 3:31 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> Janet Wilder wrote:
>> notbob wrote:
>>
>> I was outta garlic (yikes!), so hadda use garlic salt.
>>
>> I found this product at, of all places, WalMart. It is little cubes of
>> garlic (they also had basil) in a plastic trays, similar to this one
>> http://www.dorot.co.il/?CategoryID=27&ArticleID=34
>>
>> You keep it frozen then pop one out and put it in the pan. The only
>> thing it has besides finely chopped garlic is a bit of vegetable oil.

> It's not often I run out of garlic but I always have granulated
> garlic... the same as on the table at pizzarias.
> http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...eysgarlic.html

I have granulated garlic that I get at Sam's club. Tone's, I believe.

This frozen stuff packs a punch the granulated stuff does not.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 02 May 2014 16:46:26 -0500, Janet Wilder >
wrote:

> On 5/2/2014 3:31 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> > Janet Wilder wrote:
> >> notbob wrote:
> >>
> >> I was outta garlic (yikes!), so hadda use garlic salt.
> >>
> >> I found this product at, of all places, WalMart. It is little cubes of
> >> garlic (they also had basil) in a plastic trays, similar to this one
> >> http://www.dorot.co.il/?CategoryID=27&ArticleID=34
> >>
> >> You keep it frozen then pop one out and put it in the pan. The only
> >> thing it has besides finely chopped garlic is a bit of vegetable oil.

> > It's not often I run out of garlic but I always have granulated
> > garlic... the same as on the table at pizzarias.
> > http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...eysgarlic.html
> >

> I have granulated garlic that I get at Sam's club. Tone's, I believe.
>
> This frozen stuff packs a punch the granulated stuff does not.

Trader Joe's sells that stuff too. I have the basil cubes, but never
remember I have it when I'm wishing I had some basil to use.
Frozen garlic would probably be the same story.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila