FoodBanter.com

-   -   cooking bacon in water (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/428759-cooking-bacon-water.html)

Phyllis Stone[_2_] 28-04-2014 02:07 PM

cooking bacon in water

In one of the cooking magazines there are instructions for cooking bacon in
water. It says to put in skillet with enough water to cover. When the water
boils lower heat to medium. Once water is gone turn heat to medium low and
cook until crisp. Has anyone ever heard of this and tried it?

ImStillMags 28-04-2014 03:12 PM

cooking bacon in water

On Monday, April 28, 2014 7:00:52 AM UTC-7, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Apr 2014 08:07:14 -0500, Phyllis Stone wrote:
>

> > In one of the cooking magazines there are instructions for cooking bacon in

> > water. It says to put in skillet with enough water to cover. When the water

> > boils lower heat to medium. Once water is gone turn heat to medium low and

> > cook until crisp. Has anyone ever heard of this and tried it?

> Yes. It leaches all the salt and flavor out of the bacon and leaves
>
> it burnt onto the bottom of the pan. Stick with the oven-sheet
>
> pan-optional rack method, especially if you want to cook any sort of
>
> quantity (more than 7 ounces at a time).
>

> -sw

what he said. I cook a lot of bacon at one time in the oven. Then I keep it in the fridge for uses all week. It's the best methodology for perfectly done bacon.

brooklyn1 28-04-2014 03:55 PM

cooking bacon in water

On Mon, 28 Apr 2014 07:12:17 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

>On Monday, April 28, 2014 7:00:52 AM UTC-7, Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Mon, 28 Apr 2014 08:07:14 -0500, Phyllis Stone wrote:
>>

>> > In one of the cooking magazines there are instructions for cooking bacon in

>> > water. It says to put in skillet with enough water to cover. When the water

>> > boils lower heat to medium. Once water is gone turn heat to medium low and

>> > cook until crisp. Has anyone ever heard of this and tried it?

>> Yes. It leaches all the salt and flavor out of the bacon and leaves
>>
>> it burnt onto the bottom of the pan. Stick with the oven-sheet
>>
>> pan-optional rack method, especially if you want to cook any sort of
>>
>> quantity (more than 7 ounces at a time).
>>

>> -sw

>what he said. I cook a lot of bacon at one time in the oven. Then I keep it in the fridge for uses all week. It's the best methodology for perfectly done bacon.

I have a 14" pan with high sides (more like a chicken fryer) that can
easily cook a whole pound of bacon at a time... the high sides cut way
down on spatter.

sf[_9_] 28-04-2014 04:08 PM

cooking bacon in water

On Mon, 28 Apr 2014 08:07:14 -0500, "Phyllis Stone"
> wrote:

> In one of the cooking magazines there are instructions for cooking bacon in
> water. It says to put in skillet with enough water to cover. When the water
> boils lower heat to medium. Once water is gone turn heat to medium low and
> cook until crisp. Has anyone ever heard of this and tried it?

No. That's a new one and it sounds as silly as deep frying bacon.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.

Janet Wilder[_4_] 28-04-2014 04:56 PM

cooking bacon in water

On 4/28/2014 8:07 AM, Phyllis Stone wrote:
> In one of the cooking magazines there are instructions for cooking bacon
> in water. It says to put in skillet with enough water to cover. When the
> water boils lower heat to medium. Once water is gone turn heat to medium
> low and cook until crisp. Has anyone ever heard of this and tried it?

Not with bacon, but I do that with sausage.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

---

Steve Freides[_2_] 28-04-2014 06:03 PM

cooking bacon in water

Phyllis Stone wrote:
> In one of the cooking magazines there are instructions for cooking
> bacon in water. It says to put in skillet with enough water to cover.
> When the water boils lower heat to medium. Once water is gone turn
> heat to medium low and cook until crisp. Has anyone ever heard of
> this and tried it?

This is not new - my wife, whose mother was Welsh, grew up on boiled
bacon and hates it (and still talksa about it)to this day.

There is nothing good about this, save the fact that the "recipe" you
cite has you cook it until the water is gone and then you get to fry it
as the good Lord intended. If you see someone doing this, scream and
run away.

-S-

Cheri[_3_] 28-04-2014 06:46 PM

cooking bacon in water

"Phyllis Stone" > wrote in message
> In one of the cooking magazines there are instructions for cooking bacon
> in water. It says to put in skillet with enough water to cover. When the
> water boils lower heat to medium. Once water is gone turn heat to medium
> low and cook until crisp. Has anyone ever heard of this and tried it?

Many times I will soak bacon in water overnight before frying which makes it
taste more like side pork, but I have never actually cooked it in water.

Cheri

Janet 28-04-2014 07:20 PM

cooking bacon in water

In article >, says...

> Phyllis Stone wrote:
> > In one of the cooking magazines there are instructions for cooking
> > bacon in water. It says to put in skillet with enough water to cover.
> > When the water boils lower heat to medium. Once water is gone turn
> > heat to medium low and cook until crisp. Has anyone ever heard of
> > this and tried it?

> This is not new - my wife, whose mother was Welsh, grew up on boiled
> bacon and hates it (and still talksa about it)to this day.

Boiled bacon (in Wales, or anywhere else in the UK) is not what was
described above. It's a joint of meat, not rashers, and you don't boil
it dry or crisp it after. It stays covered in water throughout the
cooking. Unrelated to crispy breakfast bacon.

A neighbour gave us supper the other evening and served a joint of
boiled bacon with a mustard sauce, steamed new potatoes and beans.. it
was homely and delicious. I usually serve it with a parsley sauce.

Janet UK.

Ed Pawlowski 28-04-2014 07:39 PM

cooking bacon in water

On 4/28/2014 11:56 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 4/28/2014 8:07 AM, Phyllis Stone wrote:
>> In one of the cooking magazines there are instructions for cooking bacon
>> in water. It says to put in skillet with enough water to cover. When the
>> water boils lower heat to medium. Once water is gone turn heat to medium
>> low and cook until crisp. Has anyone ever heard of this and tried it?

> Not with bacon, but I do that with sausage.

Yes, but I bring the water maybe half way up the side. It helps to cook
it through and once the water is gone, you can get the casing done.

sf[_9_] 28-04-2014 07:58 PM

cooking bacon in water

On Mon, 28 Apr 2014 10:56:19 -0500, Janet Wilder >
wrote:

> On 4/28/2014 8:07 AM, Phyllis Stone wrote:
> > In one of the cooking magazines there are instructions for cooking bacon
> > in water. It says to put in skillet with enough water to cover. When the
> > water boils lower heat to medium. Once water is gone turn heat to medium
> > low and cook until crisp. Has anyone ever heard of this and tried it?

> Not with bacon, but I do that with sausage.

Yes! Steam first to cook through, then brown the outside.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.

jmcquown[_2_] 28-04-2014 08:36 PM

cooking bacon in water

On 4/28/2014 2:58 PM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Apr 2014 10:56:19 -0500, Janet Wilder >
> wrote:
>
>> On 4/28/2014 8:07 AM, Phyllis Stone wrote:
>>> In one of the cooking magazines there are instructions for cooking bacon
>>> in water. It says to put in skillet with enough water to cover. When the
>>> water boils lower heat to medium. Once water is gone turn heat to medium
>>> low and cook until crisp. Has anyone ever heard of this and tried it?

>> Not with bacon, but I do that with sausage.

> Yes! Steam first to cook through, then brown the outside.

Yeppers. I mostly do that with Italian sausage or fresh bratwurst.

Jill

Paul M. Cook 28-04-2014 09:22 PM

cooking bacon in water

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 28 Apr 2014 08:08:26 -0700, sf wrote:
>
>> No. That's a new one and it sounds as silly as deep frying bacon.

> Deep frying bacon is the best way to cook it f you're in a restaurant
> kitchen with nice deep, always-on fryers with vent hoods. But it's
> not worth doing at home unless you already have oil on for something
> else.

We always used salamanders for bacon. Wasting 5 gallons of oil got
expensive fast.

---

Paul M. Cook 29-04-2014 03:14 AM

cooking bacon in water

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 28 Apr 2014 13:22:25 -0700, Paul M. Cook wrote:

>>> Deep frying bacon is the best way to cook it f you're in a restaurant
>>> kitchen with nice deep, always-on fryers with vent hoods. But it's
>>> not worth doing at home unless you already have oil on for something
>>> else.

>> We always used salamanders for bacon. Wasting 5 gallons of oil got
>> expensive fast.

> Most restaurants always have filtered fryers going. You're not
> wasting oil, you're adding to it. Much more efficient.

If you want everything fried to taste like bacon.

---

Paul M. Cook 29-04-2014 05:00 AM

cooking bacon in water

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 28 Apr 2014 19:14:44 -0700, Paul M. Cook wrote:

>>> Most restaurants always have filtered fryers going. You're not
>>> wasting oil, you're adding to it. Much more efficient.

>> If you want everything fried to taste like bacon.

> It doesn't. The amount of bacon fat in the fryer is negligible. And
> bacon fat doesn't taste much like bacon assuming the fryer filter is
> doing it's job.

Fryer filters remove particulates which burn and prematurely destroy he oil.
They do not remove flavor and smoked bacon has a heavy hickory aroma which
you cannot get rid of.

> I thought you were too busy inventing the INternet to be working in a
> restaurant for any length of time?

I am a multi-tasker. I worked all through college. 40-50 hours a week.

brooklyn1 29-04-2014 05:58 PM

cooking bacon in water

On Mon, 28 Apr 2014 21:00:02 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
wrote:

>"Sqwertz" > wrote in message

>>> If you want everything fried to taste like bacon.

>> It doesn't. The amount of bacon fat in the fryer is negligible. And
>> bacon fat doesn't taste much like bacon assuming the fryer filter is
>> doing it's job.
>>

>Fryer filters remove particulates which burn and prematurely destroy he oil.
>They do not remove flavor and smoked bacon has a heavy hickory aroma which
>you cannot get rid of.

No need to dispose of it, the deep fryer used for bacon is drained and
that fat is stored in the walk-in reefer until the next batch of bacon
needs cooking. Restaurants will cook a week's worth at a time and
store it in the fridge for use as needed, then they reheat a portion
or three in a small amount of hot oil, typically a sauce pan with a
fry basket. I deep fried bacon to feed 400 every day. There is no
other way to fry that much bacon from raw to feed so many in forty
minutes. Restaurants that do a large breakfast business (like IHOP,
HoJos, etal.) do exactly the same. And used cooking fat isn't wasted,
it's sold to fat brokers who guard their route, there's big bucks in
used cooking fat, plus it's illegal to dump it with waste water or in
landfills. Used cooking fat is reclaimed and used for many everyday
products, from dried animal feed, to cosmetics, all kinds of soaps,
etc. Dried animal feed uses more reclaimed cooking fat than all other
uses combined. Lipstick is reclaimed cooking fat.

brooklyn1 29-04-2014 06:02 PM

cooking bacon in water

On Tue, 29 Apr 2014 00:21:04 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Mon, 28 Apr 2014 21:00:02 -0700, Paul M. Cook wrote:

>>> It doesn't. The amount of bacon fat in the fryer is negligible. And
>>> bacon fat doesn't taste much like bacon assuming the fryer filter is
>>> doing it's job.
>>>

>> Fryer filters remove particulates which burn and prematurely destroy he oil.
>> They do not remove flavor and smoked bacon has a heavy hickory aroma which
>> you cannot get rid of.

>Had you ever worked in a restaurant that deep fries bacon, you'd know
>you're wrong. The smoke flavor manifests itself as solids which are
>removed by proper filters. If you're worried about it, then don't fry
>anything else in the bacon fryer.

Many restaurants, especially in the south, prize the excess
accumulated bacon fryer fat for cooking eggs, home fries, grits, etc.

jmcquown[_2_] 29-04-2014 07:06 PM

cooking bacon in water

On 4/29/2014 1:02 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> Many restaurants, especially in the south, prize the excess
> accumulated bacon fryer fat for cooking eggs, home fries, grits, etc.

That would be bacon grease, not "bacon fryer fat". Your conceptions
about how people living in the south cook is funny. We don't deep fry
everything. That includes bacon.

Who the heck adds bacon fat to grits? Grits are cooked in boiling
salted water.

Jill

jmcquown[_2_] 29-04-2014 07:48 PM

cooking bacon in water

On 4/29/2014 12:58 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Apr 2014 21:00:02 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
> wrote:
>
>> Fryer filters remove particulates which burn and prematurely destroy he oil.
>> They do not remove flavor and smoked bacon has a heavy hickory aroma which
>> you cannot get rid of.

(snippage and piggy backing)

Paul, not all bacon is hickory smoked.

(more snippage)

>I deep fried bacon to feed 400 every day.

We aren't talking about cooking bacon on a ship for 400 people. I doubt
anyone else here thinks of it that way. Except maybe Paul Cook who also
thinks waffle Monte Cristo sandwiches are a thing of beauty to be admired.

Then again, you're the guy who told me there were no Marines on Navy
ships during WWII. When I told my dad you said that he laughed his ass
off. He was on the AP-148 - the USS General ML. Hersey. Look it up.
I've got a photo (too large to scan) showing everyone on the deck. That
includes the contingency of Marines. There is even a dog in the
picture. He was the mascot. :)

Jill

Paul M. Cook 29-04-2014 07:54 PM

cooking bacon in water

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 4/29/2014 12:58 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> On Mon, 28 Apr 2014 21:00:02 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Fryer filters remove particulates which burn and prematurely destroy he
>>> oil.
>>> They do not remove flavor and smoked bacon has a heavy hickory aroma
>>> which
>>> you cannot get rid of.

> (snippage and piggy backing)
>
> Paul, not all bacon is hickory smoked.
>
> (more snippage)
>
>>I deep fried bacon to feed 400 every day.

> We aren't talking about cooking bacon on a ship for 400 people. I doubt
> anyone else here thinks of it that way. Except maybe Paul Cook who also
> thinks waffle Monte Cristo sandwiches are a thing of beauty to be admired.
>
> Then again, you're the guy who told me there were no Marines on Navy ships
> during WWII. When I told my dad you said that he laughed his ass off. He
> was on the AP-148 - the USS General ML. Hersey. Look it up. I've got a
> photo (too large to scan) showing everyone on the deck. That includes the
> contingency of Marines. There is even a dog in the picture. He was the
> mascot. :)

I bet they would have loved waffle Monte Cristo sandwiches.

Oh the Navy gets the Montes but the army gets the beans beans beans ....

---

Cheri[_3_] 29-04-2014 11:30 PM

cooking bacon in water

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 4/29/2014 1:02 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> Many restaurants, especially in the south, prize the excess
>> accumulated bacon fryer fat for cooking eggs, home fries, grits, etc.

> That would be bacon grease, not "bacon fryer fat". Your conceptions about
> how people living in the south cook is funny. We don't deep fry
> everything. That includes bacon.
>
> Who the heck adds bacon fat to grits? Grits are cooked in boiling salted
> water.
>
> Jill

Around dh's family, they add a bit of bacon grease to the water instead of
butter, it absorbs into the finished grits.

Cheri

Steve Freides[_2_] 30-04-2014 12:53 AM

cooking bacon in water

Janet wrote:
> In article >, says...
>>
>> Phyllis Stone wrote:
>>> In one of the cooking magazines there are instructions for cooking
>>> bacon in water. It says to put in skillet with enough water to
>>> cover. When the water boils lower heat to medium. Once water is
>>> gone turn heat to medium low and cook until crisp. Has anyone ever
>>> heard of this and tried it?

>> This is not new - my wife, whose mother was Welsh, grew up on boiled
>> bacon and hates it (and still talksa about it)to this day.

> Boiled bacon (in Wales, or anywhere else in the UK) is not what was
> described above. It's a joint of meat, not rashers, and you don't boil
> it dry or crisp it after. It stays covered in water throughout the
> cooking. Unrelated to crispy breakfast bacon.
>
> A neighbour gave us supper the other evening and served a joint of
> boiled bacon with a mustard sauce, steamed new potatoes and beans.. it
> was homely and delicious. I usually serve it with a parsley sauce.
>
> Janet UK.

Thank you - I have never seen the stuff, just heard stories about it.

-S-

sf[_9_] 30-04-2014 04:23 AM

cooking bacon in water

On Tue, 29 Apr 2014 19:53:03 -0400, "Steve Freides" >
wrote:

> Janet wrote:
> > In article >, says...
> >
> > A neighbour gave us supper the other evening and served a joint of
> > boiled bacon with a mustard sauce, steamed new potatoes and beans.. it
> > was homely and delicious. I usually serve it with a parsley sauce.
> >
> > Janet UK.

> Thank you - I have never seen the stuff, just heard stories about it.

Would that be the parsley sauce or the *joint* of bacon? Both are new
to me.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.

Ophelia[_11_] 30-04-2014 11:45 AM

cooking bacon in water

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 29 Apr 2014 19:53:03 -0400, "Steve Freides" >
> wrote:
>
>> Janet wrote:
>> > In article >, says...
>> >
>> > A neighbour gave us supper the other evening and served a joint of
>> > boiled bacon with a mustard sauce, steamed new potatoes and beans.. it
>> > was homely and delicious. I usually serve it with a parsley sauce.
>> >
>> > Janet UK.

>> Thank you - I have never seen the stuff, just heard stories about it.
>>

> Would that be the parsley sauce or the *joint* of bacon? Both are new
> to me.

What you call a 'roast' we call a 'joint' ie a piece of meat.

Parsley sauce is just basically a white sauce with chopped parsley mixed in:

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/5442/parsley-sauce.aspx

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

sf[_9_] 30-04-2014 04:15 PM

cooking bacon in water

On Wed, 30 Apr 2014 11:45:06 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:
>

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Tue, 29 Apr 2014 19:53:03 -0400, "Steve Freides" >
> > wrote:

> >> Thank you - I have never seen the stuff, just heard stories about it.
> >>

> > Would that be the parsley sauce or the *joint* of bacon? Both are new
> > to me.

> What you call a 'roast' we call a 'joint' ie a piece of meat.

Which can be boneless? That clears up a lot. "Joint" implies meat
with a bone to me, thanks! We call it a "slab" of bacon because bacon
means pork belly here. I know it's popular, but I haven't gotten on
the pork belly for dinner bandwagon and doubt I ever will.

> Parsley sauce is just basically a white sauce with chopped parsley mixed in:

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/5442/parsley-sauce.aspx

Thanks again, I visualized it much differently (olive oil, lemon
juice, parsley).

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.

Ophelia[_11_] 30-04-2014 05:36 PM

cooking bacon in water

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 30 Apr 2014 11:45:06 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>>

>> "sf" > wrote in message

>> > Would that be the parsley sauce or the *joint* of bacon? Both are new
>> > to me.

>> What you call a 'roast' we call a 'joint' ie a piece of meat.

> Which can be boneless? That clears up a lot. "Joint" implies meat
> with a bone to me, thanks! We call it a "slab" of bacon because bacon
> means pork belly here. I know it's popular, but I haven't gotten on
> the pork belly for dinner bandwagon and doubt I ever will.
>>
>> Parsley sauce is just basically a white sauce with chopped parsley mixed
>> in:

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/5442/parsley-sauce.aspx

> Thanks again, I visualized it much differently (olive oil, lemon
> juice, parsley).

I hate it. It reminds me of school dinners:)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

notbob 30-04-2014 07:45 PM

cooking bacon in water

On 2014-04-30, Sqwertz > wrote:

> What restaurant that serves bacon isn't cooking bacon every day?
> Probably multiple times a day.

The last one I worked at. Served bacon every day, cooked bacon every
3 days. Cooked in a verticle rack oven that would take a 8-10 full
sized cookie sheets at once. Fill sheets with bacon, bake. PIA to
wash alum sheets.

http://www.foodservicewarehouse.com/...f50r/p363.aspx

> You really suck at this buillshit artist thing.

You stepped in it, this time, Steve.

nb

Paul M. Cook 30-04-2014 10:53 PM

cooking bacon in water

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2014-04-30, Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>> What restaurant that serves bacon isn't cooking bacon every day?
>> Probably multiple times a day.

> The last one I worked at. Served bacon every day, cooked bacon every
> 3 days. Cooked in a verticle rack oven that would take a 8-10 full
> sized cookie sheets at once. Fill sheets with bacon, bake. PIA to
> wash alum sheets.
>
>> Restaurants to NOT drain fryers unless they are throwing out the oil.
>> To suggest they drain it, cool it, and reuse it is laughable.

> http://www.foodservicewarehouse.com/...f50r/p363.aspx
>
>> You really suck at this buillshit artist thing.

> You stepped in it, this time, Steve.

Pretty pricey piece. We would filter oil by heating it, draining it into a
pot via dump valve then clean the fryer basin and refill by scooping the oil
through a large paper filter. We never pulled oil for storage. There is
simply no need to when you have minumim wage flunkies working for you.

Pico Rico[_2_] 30-04-2014 11:59 PM

cooking bacon in water

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2014-04-30, Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>> What restaurant that serves bacon isn't cooking bacon every day?
>> Probably multiple times a day.

> The last one I worked at. Served bacon every day, cooked bacon every
> 3 days. Cooked in a verticle rack oven that would take a 8-10 full
> sized cookie sheets at once. Fill sheets with bacon, bake. PIA to
> wash alum sheets.

You worked in a restaurant where they called sheet trays "full sized cookie
sheets"?

yeah, sure you did.

Janet 01-05-2014 01:41 AM

cooking bacon in water

In article >,
says...

> On Tue, 29 Apr 2014 19:53:03 -0400, "Steve Freides" >
> wrote:
>
> > Janet wrote:
> > > In article >,
says...

> > > A neighbour gave us supper the other evening and served a joint of
> > > boiled bacon with a mustard sauce, steamed new potatoes and beans.. it
> > > was homely and delicious. I usually serve it with a parsley sauce.
> > >
> > > Janet UK.

> > Thank you - I have never seen the stuff, just heard stories about it.
> >

> Would that be the parsley sauce or the *joint* of bacon? Both are new
> to me.

Pic and recipe here

http://www.goodhousekeeping.co.uk/fo...n-and-cabbage-
with-parsley-sauce

Janet UK

Janet 01-05-2014 01:43 AM

cooking bacon in water

In article >, ost
says...

> On Tue, 29 Apr 2014 20:23:12 -0700, sf wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 29 Apr 2014 19:53:03 -0400, "Steve Freides" >
> > wrote:

says...

http://colmans.co.uk/our-range/pour-...parsley-sauce/

> -sw

Horrible stuff! So easy to make fresh

Janet UK

sf[_9_] 01-05-2014 04:05 AM

cooking bacon in water

On Thu, 1 May 2014 01:41:54 +0100, Janet > wrote:

> In article >,
> says...
> >
> > On Tue, 29 Apr 2014 19:53:03 -0400, "Steve Freides" >
> > wrote:

says...

> > > Thank you - I have never seen the stuff, just heard stories about it.
> > >

> > Would that be the parsley sauce or the *joint* of bacon? Both are new
> > to me.

> Pic and recipe here

http://www.goodhousekeeping.co.uk/fo...n-and-cabbage-
> with-parsley-sauce

Thanks!

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.

sf[_9_] 01-05-2014 04:06 AM

cooking bacon in water

On Thu, 1 May 2014 01:43:56 +0100, Janet > wrote:

> In article >, ost
> says...
> >
> > On Tue, 29 Apr 2014 20:23:12 -0700, sf wrote:

says...

> > > Would that be the parsley sauce or the *joint* of bacon? Both are new
> > > to me.

> > Coleman's Parsley Sauce is a staple in most any grocery store's
> > British foods section.

http://colmans.co.uk/our-range/pour-...parsley-sauce/

> > -sw

> Horrible stuff! So easy to make fresh

It might be a shelf staple in Texas, but I haven't seen it here...
yet.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.

bigwheel 01-05-2014 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phyllis Stone[_2_] (Post 1926553)
In one of the cooking magazines there are instructions for cooking bacon in
water. It says to put in skillet with enough water to cover. When the water
boils lower heat to medium. Once water is gone turn heat to medium low and
cook until crisp. Has anyone ever heard of this and tried it?

Sounds like the formula to cook dry salt cured country ham slices cept..you got to chunk the water as opposed to letting it boil away..or it dont shed the salt which bound to be the object of the game. Not sure but maybe dry cured country bacon works the same way.

Janet 01-05-2014 11:29 AM

cooking bacon in water

In article >, ost
says...

> On Thu, 1 May 2014 01:43:56 +0100, Janet wrote:
>
> > In article >,
ost
> > says...
> >
> >> Coleman's Parsley Sauce is a staple in most any grocery store's
> >> British foods section.

http://colmans.co.uk/our-range/pour-...parsley-sauce/

> > Horrible stuff! So easy to make fresh

> I can honestly say it's the best "parsley sauce" I've ever had!
>
> And that why we send Twinkies to stock the American foods sections in
> Britan.

I don't think I've ever seen an "American food section" in the UK .

Janet UK.

S Viemeister[_2_] 01-05-2014 01:43 PM

cooking bacon in water

On 5/1/2014 6:29 AM, Janet wrote:

> I don't think I've ever seen an "American food section" in the UK .

I remember one in Edinburgh, back in the 60s. A small corner in one of
the big department stores on the Bridges, IIRC.

Ophelia[_11_] 01-05-2014 01:48 PM

cooking bacon in water

"S Viemeister" > wrote in message
> On 5/1/2014 6:29 AM, Janet wrote:
>
>> I don't think I've ever seen an "American food section" in the UK .
>>

> I remember one in Edinburgh, back in the 60s. A small corner in one of the
> big department stores on the Bridges, IIRC.

They are in many selected Tescos.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

sf[_9_] 01-05-2014 02:23 PM

cooking bacon in water

On Thu, 01 May 2014 08:43:33 -0400, S Viemeister
> wrote:

> On 5/1/2014 6:29 AM, Janet wrote:
>
> > I don't think I've ever seen an "American food section" in the UK .
> >

> I remember one in Edinburgh, back in the 60s. A small corner in one of
> the big department stores on the Bridges, IIRC.

American food is so easy to find all over the world, that I wonder why
anyone bothers to stock a few shelves with products most Americans may
not have even heard of. Aren't McDonald's and all the other fast food
franchises enough?

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.

S Viemeister[_2_] 01-05-2014 02:33 PM

cooking bacon in water

On 5/1/2014 9:23 AM, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 01 May 2014 08:43:33 -0400, S Viemeister
> > wrote:
>
>> On 5/1/2014 6:29 AM, Janet wrote:
>>
>>> I don't think I've ever seen an "American food section" in the UK .
>>>

>> I remember one in Edinburgh, back in the 60s. A small corner in one of
>> the big department stores on the Bridges, IIRC.

> American food is so easy to find all over the world, that I wonder why
> anyone bothers to stock a few shelves with products most Americans may
> not have even heard of. Aren't McDonald's and all the other fast food
> franchises enough?

I don't remember what else they stocked, but that shop on the Bridges
was the only place in Edinburgh I could find cornmeal.

notbob 01-05-2014 02:34 PM

cooking bacon in water

On 2014-04-30, Paul M. Cook > wrote:

> through a large paper filter.

I've seen those in resto sply places, but couldn't find one on
online. They've a big metal frame and what look like oversized coffee
filters.

Not fry oil, but high end vacuum pump oil. The stuff costs $800 gal,
and still picks up contaminants. We used a simple Mr Coffee rig. As
you say, flunkies, though somewhat higher paid. ;)

nb

Valoriestrahl 01-05-2014 02:38 PM

thanks for the information