Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default cooking bacon in water

On 2014-05-01, Sqwertz > wrote:

> Figures there would be somebody here that worked at a nasty-assed
> restaurant serving 3 day old bacon.

They served the finest rib-eye I've ever eaten. Dry aged and cut
directly from the roast, in house.

> You were the dishwasher, not the cook.

Honest work for which I feel no shame. What? You eat off dirty
dishes?

> I stepped in Jack Shit.

Well, if you wanna give yer fecal pile a name, far be it from me to
admonish you. Not a rose, by any name.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2014-05-01, Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>> Figures there would be somebody here that worked at a nasty-assed
>> restaurant serving 3 day old bacon.

> They served the finest rib-eye I've ever eaten. Dry aged and cut
> directly from the roast, in house.
>
>> You were the dishwasher, not the cook.

> Honest work for which I feel no shame. What? You eat off dirty
> dishes?
>
>> I stepped in Jack Shit.

> Well, if you wanna give yer fecal pile a name, far be it from me to
> admonish you. Not a rose, by any name.

lol
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 01 May 2014 09:33:55 -0400, S Viemeister
> wrote:

> I don't remember what else they stocked, but that shop on the Bridges
> was the only place in Edinburgh I could find cornmeal.

Polenta is close enough. Doesn't it come in three different grinds?
I've made my cornbread with coarsely ground polenta lately and like it
that way.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/1/2014 10:04 AM, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 01 May 2014 09:33:55 -0400, S Viemeister
> > wrote:
>
>> I don't remember what else they stocked, but that shop on the Bridges
>> was the only place in Edinburgh I could find cornmeal.

> Polenta is close enough. Doesn't it come in three different grinds?
> I've made my cornbread with coarsely ground polenta lately and like it
> that way.

This was the 60s - not much Italian stuff, either. There was spaghetti,
though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 01 May 2014 10:08:11 -0400, S Viemeister
> wrote:

> On 5/1/2014 10:04 AM, sf wrote:
> > On Thu, 01 May 2014 09:33:55 -0400, S Viemeister
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> I don't remember what else they stocked, but that shop on the Bridges
> >> was the only place in Edinburgh I could find cornmeal.

> > Polenta is close enough. Doesn't it come in three different grinds?
> > I've made my cornbread with coarsely ground polenta lately and like it
> > that way.
> >

> This was the 60s - not much Italian stuff, either. There was spaghetti,
> though.

Hopefully the situation has changed by now.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/1/2014 10:24 AM, sf wrote:
> > wrote:
>>>
>>> Polenta is close enough. Doesn't it come in three different grinds?
>>> I've made my cornbread with coarsely ground polenta lately and like it
>>> that way.
>>>

>> This was the 60s - not much Italian stuff, either. There was spaghetti,
>> though.

> Hopefully the situation has changed by now.

Very much so! I find a better selection in Inverness markets, than I do
in NJ.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 01 May 2014 11:23:36 -0400, S Viemeister
> wrote:

> On 5/1/2014 10:24 AM, sf wrote:
> > > wrote:

> >> This was the 60s - not much Italian stuff, either. There was spaghetti,
> >> though.

> > Hopefully the situation has changed by now.
> >

> Very much so! I find a better selection in Inverness markets, than I do
> in NJ.

Yay!

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, April 28, 2014 3:07:14 AM UTC-10, Phyllis Stone wrote:
> In one of the cooking magazines there are instructions for cooking bacon in
>
> water. It says to put in skillet with enough water to cover. When the water
>
> boils lower heat to medium. Once water is gone turn heat to medium low and
>
> cook until crisp. Has anyone ever heard of this and tried it?

I have not tried this but this morning, I dredged bacon in flour and fried it up in some vegetable oil. Fry the bacon until light brown. Bacon done this way will splatter less and be crispy with being burnt. It also frys up faster and has a smoother taste. It's good looking too. :-)