Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Bottled water- LOL

Whoever started the bottled water thing years ago was a genius. Fooled
the entire world into thinking that city water was bad, then charging
a fortune for bottled water.

I drink bottled water at work too but I fill my bottle from the tap
each morning. I do own a Britta water filter but I rarely bother. The
ferrets get more of that, just because it's fridge cold.

Here's a mention in my newspaper the other day for "Earth Day" on the
subject:
It's an exact quote, not my opinion, although I do agree.

--------------
Myth: Bottled water is better than tap.

Truth: Tap water is clean, safe, convenient, and affordable. Hampton
Roads drinking water (my area) is continuously tested and always meets
of exceeds EPA standards for safe drinking water. Price conscious? You
can fill 1,500 glasses of tap water for about the price of a single
bottle of water.

PS- my dentist also told me that city water that adds a nip of floride
cuts down the amount of cavities in patients very highly. People with
well water or always drinking bottled water have a higher amount of
cavities.

As Marty often says: Just sayin

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 Apr 2014 17:20:38 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Whoever started the bottled water thing years ago was a genius. Fooled
>the entire world into thinking that city water was bad, then charging
>a fortune for bottled water.
>
>I drink bottled water at work too but I fill my bottle from the tap
>each morning. I do own a Britta water filter but I rarely bother. The
>ferrets get more of that, just because it's fridge cold.

Me too,. I didn't get the whole bottled water thing until I realized
that not everyone has as good tap water as I do in St Louis MO, which
was voted to have some of the best tasting tap water in the U.S. by
some group of governor's or something. I remember my mom being up in
Chicago area when my niece was born years ago and she reported their
tap water running orange (probably rust). Then I though, "Oh yeah!"

But you're right, just on principle. Compared to the cost of tap
water, I heard it would be if someone wanted $1000 for a sandwich.
DUH! I mean, unless that's the only water you can get or something. I
buy quarts of Gatorade and pour the Gatorade down the sink and wash
out the bottles really well. Then bottle my own tap water! Wash the
bottles every once in a while and they last for months! Thern I buy
some new ones.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Whoever started the bottled water thing years ago was a genius. Fooled
> the entire world into thinking that city water was bad, then charging
> a fortune for bottled water.
>
> I drink bottled water at work too but I fill my bottle from the tap
> each morning. I do own a Britta water filter but I rarely bother. The
> ferrets get more of that, just because it's fridge cold.
>
> Here's a mention in my newspaper the other day for "Earth Day" on the
> subject:
> It's an exact quote, not my opinion, although I do agree.
>
> --------------
> Myth: Bottled water is better than tap.
>
> Truth: Tap water is clean, safe, convenient, and affordable. Hampton
> Roads drinking water (my area) is continuously tested and always meets
> of exceeds EPA standards for safe drinking water. Price conscious? You
> can fill 1,500 glasses of tap water for about the price of a single
> bottle of water.
>
> PS- my dentist also told me that city water that adds a nip of floride
> cuts down the amount of cavities in patients very highly. People with
> well water or always drinking bottled water have a higher amount of
> cavities.
>
> As Marty often says: Just sayin
>
> G.

I drink tap water at home here, unless I am sick and then I drink Smart
Water. But I haven't always lived where tap water was safe. On Cape Cod we
had Chlordane and jet fuel in our water and no filter will remove those
things. I was forced to buy bottled water then. I also didn't like the
looks of the water in NY so opted to buy bottled there. Yes, I know they
say NY water is the best but we were on a military base and did not have
municipal water. All bets are off there.

I don't really like filters. Too many times I have run across people who
did not change theirs when they should and that's even worse than plain
water. I am sure I would fall into that category of forgetting to change.
Heh.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"John Kuthe" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 24 Apr 2014 17:20:38 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
>>Whoever started the bottled water thing years ago was a genius. Fooled
>>the entire world into thinking that city water was bad, then charging
>>a fortune for bottled water.
>>
>>I drink bottled water at work too but I fill my bottle from the tap
>>each morning. I do own a Britta water filter but I rarely bother. The
>>ferrets get more of that, just because it's fridge cold.

> Me too,. I didn't get the whole bottled water thing until I realized
> that not everyone has as good tap water as I do in St Louis MO, which
> was voted to have some of the best tasting tap water in the U.S. by
> some group of governor's or something. I remember my mom being up in
> Chicago area when my niece was born years ago and she reported their
> tap water running orange (probably rust). Then I though, "Oh yeah!"
>
> But you're right, just on principle. Compared to the cost of tap
> water, I heard it would be if someone wanted $1000 for a sandwich.
> DUH! I mean, unless that's the only water you can get or something. I
> buy quarts of Gatorade and pour the Gatorade down the sink and wash
> out the bottles really well. Then bottle my own tap water! Wash the
> bottles every once in a while and they last for months! Thern I buy
> some new ones.
>
> John Kuthe...

I love the portability of bottled. I don't like having to try to clean a
bottle to take with me although I will do that sometimes. When the weather
isn't too hot or cold, I keep bottles of water in my van.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Our pediatrician told us she preferred tap water to bottled for mixing
baby formula. She said she knew what was in our local tap water and how
often it was tested. She didn't have that information about bottled
water.

Tara

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Whoever started the bottled water thing years ago was a genius. Fooled
> the entire world into thinking that city water was bad, then charging
> a fortune for bottled water.
>
> I drink bottled water at work too but I fill my bottle from the tap
> each morning. I do own a Britta water filter but I rarely bother. The
> ferrets get more of that, just because it's fridge cold.
>
> Here's a mention in my newspaper the other day for "Earth Day" on the
> subject:
> It's an exact quote, not my opinion, although I do agree.

I watched a special on it, mind boggling to be sure. In Maine they are
pulling groundwater and bottling it for sale, I believe it was Nestle that
was sending the tankers in.

Cehri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, April 24, 2014 2:20:38 PM UTC-7, Gary wrote:
> Whoever started the bottled water thing years ago was a genius. Fooled
>
> the entire world into thinking that city water was bad, then charging
>
> a fortune for bottled water.
>

> I drink bottled water at work too but I fill my bottle from the tap
>
> each morning. I do own a Britta water filter but I rarely bother. The
>
> ferrets get more of that, just because it's fridge cold.
>

> Here's a mention in my newspaper the other day for "Earth Day" on the
>
> subject:
>
> It's an exact quote, not my opinion, although I do agree.
>

> --------------
>
> Myth: Bottled water is better than tap.
>

> Truth: Tap water is clean, safe, convenient, and affordable. Hampton
>
> Roads drinking water (my area) is continuously tested and always meets
>
> of exceeds EPA standards for safe drinking water. Price conscious? You
>
> can fill 1,500 glasses of tap water for about the price of a single
>
> bottle of water.
>

> PS- my dentist also told me that city water that adds a nip of floride
>
> cuts down the amount of cavities in patients very highly. People with
>
> well water or always drinking bottled water have a higher amount of
>
> cavities.
>

> As Marty often says: Just sayin
>

> G.

You should taste some of the water in my area...taste and smells like sulphur.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 Apr 2014 16:39:08 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Gary" > wrote in message ...
>> Whoever started the bottled water thing years ago was a genius. Fooled
>> the entire world into thinking that city water was bad, then charging
>> a fortune for bottled water.
>>
>> I drink bottled water at work too but I fill my bottle from the tap
>> each morning. I do own a Britta water filter but I rarely bother. The
>> ferrets get more of that, just because it's fridge cold.
>>
>> Here's a mention in my newspaper the other day for "Earth Day" on the
>> subject:
>> It's an exact quote, not my opinion, although I do agree.

>I watched a special on it, mind boggling to be sure. In Maine they are
>pulling groundwater and bottling it for sale, I believe it was Nestle that
>was sending the tankers in.

Nestle certainly are. After all, their benevolent CEO/chairman
believes water isn't a right and should be privatised.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, April 24, 2014 5:20:38 PM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> Whoever started the bottled water thing years ago was a genius. Fooled
>
> the entire world into thinking that city water was bad, then charging
>
> a fortune for bottled water.
>

> I drink bottled water at work too but I fill my bottle from the tap
>
> each morning. I do own a Britta water filter but I rarely bother. The
>
> ferrets get more of that, just because it's fridge cold.
>

> Here's a mention in my newspaper the other day for "Earth Day" on the
>
> subject:
>
> It's an exact quote, not my opinion, although I do agree.
>

> --------------
>
> Myth: Bottled water is better than tap.
>

> Truth: Tap water is clean, safe, convenient, and affordable. Hampton
>
> Roads drinking water (my area) is continuously tested and always meets
>
> of exceeds EPA standards for safe drinking water. Price conscious? You
>
> can fill 1,500 glasses of tap water for about the price of a single
>
> bottle of water.
>

> PS- my dentist also told me that city water that adds a nip of floride
>
> cuts down the amount of cavities in patients very highly. People with
>
> well water or always drinking bottled water have a higher amount of
>
> cavities.

We have no fluoride in our tap water here in Kitchener. However, I only drink tap water. Once upon a time I purchased a bottle of water that was bottled in the heart of tobacco country. Tobacco farmers put lots of nasty stuff on the plants which leaks into the soil and the water table.
On the other hand, on my Godfather's tobacco farm, he had the most delicious water I have ever tasted. So wonderfully cold. The first couple of days out there, the water tastes of sulfur. But then you get used to it, and no longer taste the sulfur. Wonderful stuff. But what's in it: pesticides, anti sucker agents, etc. Oh well. I'm still kickin'.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, April 24, 2014 7:13:34 PM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Gary" > wrote in message ...
>
> > Whoever started the bottled water thing years ago was a genius. Fooled

> > the entire world into thinking that city water was bad, then charging

> > a fortune for bottled water.

> > I drink bottled water at work too but I fill my bottle from the tap

> > each morning. I do own a Britta water filter but I rarely bother. The

> > ferrets get more of that, just because it's fridge cold.

> > Here's a mention in my newspaper the other day for "Earth Day" on the

> > subject:

> > It's an exact quote, not my opinion, although I do agree.

> > --------------

> > Myth: Bottled water is better than tap.

> > Truth: Tap water is clean, safe, convenient, and affordable. Hampton

> > Roads drinking water (my area) is continuously tested and always meets

> > of exceeds EPA standards for safe drinking water. Price conscious? You

> > can fill 1,500 glasses of tap water for about the price of a single

> > bottle of water.

> > PS- my dentist also told me that city water that adds a nip of floride

> > cuts down the amount of cavities in patients very highly. People with

> > well water or always drinking bottled water have a higher amount of

> > cavities.

> > As Marty often says: Just sayin

> > G.

> I drink tap water at home here, unless I am sick and then I drink Smart
>
> Water. But I haven't always lived where tap water was safe.

A few years back in Walkerton Ontario, a few people died from drinking contaminated tap water.

>On Cape Cod we
>
> had Chlordane and jet fuel in our water and no filter will remove those
>
> things. I was forced to buy bottled water then. I also didn't like the
>
> looks of the water in NY so opted to buy bottled there. Yes, I know they
>
> say NY water is the best but we were on a military base and did not have
>
> municipal water. All bets are off there.
>

> I don't really like filters. Too many times I have run across people who
>
> did not change theirs when they should and that's even worse than plain
>
> water. I am sure I would fall into that category of forgetting to change.
>
> Heh.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 Apr 2014 16:42:08 -0700 (PDT), Chemo
> wrote:

>You should taste some of the water in my area...taste and smells like sulphur.

Yes. There's some pretty bad water supplies around, and fracking
certainly hasn't helped either, its spreading like a cancer around the
world. I'm very fortunate where I live, we pretty much have the
cleanest air and water in the world.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I have an RO unit under my sink that I rent from Culligan. If I want
bottled water to go, like to the gym, I fill an aluminum bottle from the
RO spigot.

The water here tastes awful. We were spending a bunch on bottled water
and figured it's cheaper to rent the RO.

I also have water bottles with filters in the caps for when we travel.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-04-24, Jeßus > wrote:

> Nestle certainly are. After all, their benevolent CEO/chairman
> believes water isn't a right and should be privatised.

Yes, seen several documentaries on this issue. Nestle acquired rights
to pump/ship water from our area, about 6 miles north of where I live,
in the Arkansas River headwaters valley. OTOH, I'm grateful Nestle
sees our water, the Ark R, as clean enough to bottle, which it is.
Elsewhere in CO, fracking is destroying entire counties and watersheds
with its polluting technology. There is, CURRENTLY, no fracking in
this watershed/valley!! If anything, Nestle is our canary in the coal
mine. Never thought I'd say this, as I'm a rabid pro ecology nut, but
it's freakishly true and, for now, I'm glad to see Nestle pumping
away. 8|

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 25 Apr 2014 01:10:37 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2014-04-24, Jeßus > wrote:
>
>> Nestle certainly are. After all, their benevolent CEO/chairman
>> believes water isn't a right and should be privatised.

>Yes, seen several documentaries on this issue. Nestle acquired rights
>to pump/ship water from our area, about 6 miles north of where I live,
>in the Arkansas River headwaters valley. OTOH, I'm grateful Nestle
>sees our water, the Ark R, as clean enough to bottle, which it is.
>Elsewhere in CO, fracking is destroying entire counties and watersheds
>with its polluting technology. There is, CURRENTLY, no fracking in
>this watershed/valley!! If anything, Nestle is our canary in the coal
>mine. Never thought I'd say this, as I'm a rabid pro ecology nut, but
>it's freakishly true and, for now, I'm glad to see Nestle pumping
>away. 8|

That may be okay for now, but if they have their way and get water
privatised you'll most likely have a change of heart. It's been said
now for quite a few years that water is the new oil, and the powerful
have been gradually setting themselves up to be in control of the
resource. I would imagine they'd also love the side-effects of
fracking as well. The Bush family saw the light long ago and have
invested heavily in water, for example. Just watch it become more
difficult/illegal to collect your own rain or well water in coming
years...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 Apr 2014 20:01:22 -0500, Janet Wilder >
wrote:

>I have an RO unit under my sink that I rent from Culligan. If I want
>bottled water to go, like to the gym, I fill an aluminum bottle from the
>RO spigot.
>
>The water here tastes awful. We were spending a bunch on bottled water
>and figured it's cheaper to rent the RO.
>
>I also have water bottles with filters in the caps for when we travel.

That's what I mean, some peolle have crappy tasting water. And bottled
water certainly is best for conveience and portability. I have a big 5
gallon plastic water jug I keep in my Caravan "Baby" for camping. I
refill my Gatorade bottles from it too, while camping.

John Kuthe..

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/25/2014 6:43 AM, John Kuthe wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Apr 2014 20:01:22 -0500, Janet Wilder >
> wrote:
>
>> I have an RO unit under my sink that I rent from Culligan. If I want
>> bottled water to go, like to the gym, I fill an aluminum bottle from the
>> RO spigot.
>>
>> The water here tastes awful. We were spending a bunch on bottled water
>> and figured it's cheaper to rent the RO.
>>
>> I also have water bottles with filters in the caps for when we travel.

> That's what I mean, some peolle have crappy tasting water. And bottled
> water certainly is best for conveience and portability. I have a big 5
> gallon plastic water jug I keep in my Caravan "Baby" for camping. I
> refill my Gatorade bottles from it too, while camping.
>
> John Kuthe..

We have a small RV, as well. We fill gallon jugs from the RO prior to
leaving. The RO water is used for drinking, coffee and for the dog.
It's best for the dog to drink only water that he is used to when
traveling. He drinks RO water at home as well.

If we are on a long trip, we refill the water jugs at WalMart or other
places where they have RO machines available.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder wrote:

>I have an RO unit under my sink that I rent from Culligan.

How much does Culligan charge for rent?
I bought mine outright for under $250 installed.
You can buy one for under $200 and install it yourself.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/25/2014 10:51 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> Janet Wilder wrote:
>>
>> I have an RO unit under my sink that I rent from Culligan.

> How much does Culligan charge for rent?
> I bought mine outright for under $250 installed.
> You can buy one for under $200 and install it yourself.

I am aware of that, Sheldon. I'm also aware that the filters are not
inexpensive and they have to be changed at least once a year.

Further, neither myself nor my DH are capable of getting under the sink
to either install or change filters on the system.

If anything goes wrong with it, Culligan has a 24/7 service number and
they have come when called.

We pay $40 every other month for the system and it is worth it for us in
our particular circumstances.

Sometimes it's not about the money.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Wilder wrote:
>Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> Janet Wilder wrote:
>>>
>>> I have an RO unit under my sink that I rent from Culligan.

>> How much does Culligan charge for rent?
>> I bought mine outright for under $250 installed.
>> You can buy one for under $200 and install it yourself.
>>

>I am aware of that, Sheldon. I'm also aware that the filters are not
>inexpensive and they have to be changed at least once a year.
>
>Further, neither myself nor my DH are capable of getting under the sink
>to either install or change filters on the system.
>
>If anything goes wrong with it, Culligan has a 24/7 service number and
>they have come when called.
>
>We pay $40 every other month for the system and it is worth it for us in
>our particular circumstances.
>
>Sometimes it's not about the money.

No need to defend your choice, I was just interested out of curiosity
in how much it cost to rent an RO filter, you're the first person I
heard of who rents one. So you pay $240 a year to rent something that
you could buy for well under a $200 one time payment. An RO membrane
with typical water use for a family of four should last ten years,
yours should last near twice that. The cartridge filters that are
changed once a year should cost no more than $30 total... does your
rent include the cost of the filters? I don't change the filters
myself either, I have my unit serviced about every two years together
with my water softener, that's what the service company recommends.
Servicing just the RO cost me $40 last time (included filters), So far
that RO filter has been working perfectly for more than ten years.
Mine is mounted on the wall in my basement directly under my kitchen
sink but if it were in the cabinet under my kitchen sink I probably
couldn't easily fit in to change those filters either (there's a
mullion between the two doors, but I'm sure I could find some skinny
teenager to perform that ten minute task for like $20. Here's what a
full set of filter cartridges cost: http://tinyurl.com/k2wgcuz
http://www.amazon.com/Watts-Filters-...cement+4+stage

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/25/2014 7:56 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> Janet Wilder wrote:
>> Brooklyn1 wrote:

>>> How much does Culligan charge for rent?
>>> I bought mine outright for under $250 installed.
>>> You can buy one for under $200 and install it yourself.
>>>

>> I am aware of that, Sheldon. I'm also aware that the filters are not
>> inexpensive and they have to be changed at least once a year.
>>
>> Further, neither myself nor my DH are capable of getting under the sink
>> to either install or change filters on the system.
>>
>> If anything goes wrong with it, Culligan has a 24/7 service number and
>> they have come when called.
>>
>> We pay $40 every other month for the system and it is worth it for us in
>> our particular circumstances.
>>
>> Sometimes it's not about the money.

> No need to defend your choice, I was just interested out of curiosity
> in how much it cost to rent an RO filter, you're the first person I
> heard of who rents one. So you pay $240 a year to rent something that
> you could buy for well under a $200 one time payment. An RO membrane
> with typical water use for a family of four should last ten years,
> yours should last near twice that. The cartridge filters that are
> changed once a year should cost no more than $30 total... does your
> rent include the cost of the filters? I don't change the filters
> myself either, I have my unit serviced about every two years together
> with my water softener, that's what the service company recommends.
> Servicing just the RO cost me $40 last time (included filters), So far
> that RO filter has been working perfectly for more than ten years.
> Mine is mounted on the wall in my basement directly under my kitchen
> sink but if it were in the cabinet under my kitchen sink I probably
> couldn't easily fit in to change those filters either (there's a
> mullion between the two doors, but I'm sure I could find some skinny
> teenager to perform that ten minute task for like $20. Here's what a
> full set of filter cartridges cost: http://tinyurl.com/k2wgcuz
> http://www.amazon.com/Watts-Filters-...cement+4+stage

The filters need changing every year. There are more than one and they
are a god deal more expensive than $30. I'm glad you can do it cheaper
but we can't.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking,can.general,can.politics

On 4/24/2014 6:03 PM, A Moose in Love wrote:
> We have no fluoride in our tap water here in Kitchener.

Kind of a shame you don't have arsenic, lots of it, nazi:

"I admire the Zell character in 'Marathon Man.' Except for the end part
where he gets humiliated and has to eat his diamonds.
I'm a Nazi.
Really."

Posted to rec.food.cooking,can.general,can.politics

On 4/24/2014 6:05 PM, A Moose in Love wrote:
> a few people died from drinking contaminated tap water.

But a nazi like you lived?

Darned shame.

"I admire the Zell character in 'Marathon Man.' Except for the end part
where he gets humiliated and has to eat his diamonds.
I'm a Nazi.
Really."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 25 Apr 2014 20:34:25 -0500, Janet Wilder >
wrote:

>On 4/25/2014 7:56 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> Janet Wilder wrote:

>>> I am aware of that, Sheldon. I'm also aware that the filters are not
>>> inexpensive and they have to be changed at least once a year.
>>>
>>> Further, neither myself nor my DH are capable of getting under the sink
>>> to either install or change filters on the system.
>>>
>>> If anything goes wrong with it, Culligan has a 24/7 service number and
>>> they have come when called.
>>>
>>> We pay $40 every other month for the system and it is worth it for us in
>>> our particular circumstances.
>>>
>>> Sometimes it's not about the money.

>> No need to defend your choice, I was just interested out of curiosity
>> in how much it cost to rent an RO filter, you're the first person I
>> heard of who rents one. So you pay $240 a year to rent something that
>> you could buy for well under a $200 one time payment. An RO membrane
>> with typical water use for a family of four should last ten years,
>> yours should last near twice that. The cartridge filters that are
>> changed once a year should cost no more than $30 total... does your
>> rent include the cost of the filters? I don't change the filters
>> myself either, I have my unit serviced about every two years together
>> with my water softener, that's what the service company recommends.
>> Servicing just the RO cost me $40 last time (included filters), So far
>> that RO filter has been working perfectly for more than ten years.
>> Mine is mounted on the wall in my basement directly under my kitchen
>> sink but if it were in the cabinet under my kitchen sink I probably
>> couldn't easily fit in to change those filters either (there's a
>> mullion between the two doors, but I'm sure I could find some skinny
>> teenager to perform that ten minute task for like $20. Here's what a
>> full set of filter cartridges cost: http://tinyurl.com/k2wgcuz
>> http://www.amazon.com/Watts-Filters-...cement+4+stage
>>

>The filters need changing every year. There are more than one and they
>are a god deal more expensive than $30. I'm glad you can do it cheaper
>but we can't.

Of course you can buy the *set* of filters for under $30... you
obviously didn't click on the link I provided... you can buy the set
of filters at most any hardware store they all fit the standard 10"
cartridge, and there are plenty of on line companys that sell nothing
but RO filters. Plenty of info on the net:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Tmigld5iAEThe

The same person who installed and sold me my water softeners and
services my wells sold me and services my RO too. I have two wells,
and two water softeners, all are serviced on the same visit. My water
is prefiltered from each well so I only need new cartridges at the RO
every two years, but even if I changed filters every year they are
rather inexpensive. The most expensive part of my water service is
replacing the UV bulb, all my water is UV treated, that bulb is about
$125.