Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Reminder: Amy's Baking Co./Kitchen Nightmares Tonight

Outside of posts here, I missed the original hoopla and only saw the
episode on Youtube last year.

The two hour season premiere of Kitchen Nightmares airs tonight on Fox
at 8:00 Eastern time in the US.

I happened to catch Amy and Samy on Dr. Phil while flipping through
channels the other day. This isn't (seriously!) the type of show I'd
normally watch. As soon as I saw them sitting there I had to watch the
last few minutes. It sure sounds to me like they're still nuts. Very
defensive. Friday night television is usually pretty dull. Maybe not
tonight.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> Outside of posts here, I missed the original hoopla and only saw the
> episode on Youtube last year.
>
> The two hour season premiere of Kitchen Nightmares airs tonight on Fox at
> 8:00 Eastern time in the US.
>
> I happened to catch Amy and Samy on Dr. Phil while flipping through
> channels the other day. This isn't (seriously!) the type of show I'd
> normally watch. As soon as I saw them sitting there I had to watch the
> last few minutes. It sure sounds to me like they're still nuts. Very
> defensive. Friday night television is usually pretty dull. Maybe not
> tonight.
>
> Jill

You don't like Hawaii 5-0, Bluebloods, or Grimm?

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/11/2014 1:43 PM, Cheri wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> Outside of posts here, I missed the original hoopla and only saw the
>> episode on Youtube last year.
>>
>> The two hour season premiere of Kitchen Nightmares airs tonight on Fox
>> at 8:00 Eastern time in the US.
>>
>> I happened to catch Amy and Samy on Dr. Phil while flipping through
>> channels the other day. This isn't (seriously!) the type of show I'd
>> normally watch. As soon as I saw them sitting there I had to watch
>> the last few minutes. It sure sounds to me like they're still nuts.
>> Very defensive. Friday night television is usually pretty dull.
>> Maybe not tonight.
>>
>> Jill

> You don't like Hawaii 5-0, Bluebloods, or Grimm?
>
> Cheri

Nope. I don't even like the original Hawaii 5-0 (and I'm a fiend for
old and classic TV shows). If I'm not reading and posting here on
Friday's I'm either reading a book or maybe watching online videos.

When I remember it is on I do watch the television show Castle. I was
late to the game but it's cute. I don't really watch much of anything
so regularly that I have a weekly television lineup, if you know what I
mean.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, April 11, 2014 11:16:55 AM UTC-7, jmcquown wrote:
> On 4/11/2014 1:43 PM, Cheri wrote:
>

> > "jmcquown" > wrote in message

> >> Outside of posts here, I missed the original hoopla and only saw the

> >> episode on Youtube last year.

> >> The two hour season premiere of Kitchen Nightmares airs tonight on Fox

> >> at 8:00 Eastern time in the US.

> >> I happened to catch Amy and Samy on Dr. Phil while flipping through

> >> channels the other day. This isn't (seriously!) the type of show I'd

> >> normally watch. As soon as I saw them sitting there I had to watch

> >> the last few minutes. It sure sounds to me like they're still nuts.

> >> Very defensive. Friday night television is usually pretty dull.

> >> Maybe not tonight.

> >> Jill

> > You don't like Hawaii 5-0, Bluebloods, or Grimm?

> > Cheri

> Nope. I don't even like the original Hawaii 5-0 (and I'm a fiend for
>
> old and classic TV shows). If I'm not reading and posting here on
>
> Friday's I'm either reading a book or maybe watching online videos.
>

> When I remember it is on I do watch the television show Castle. I was
>
> late to the game but it's cute. I don't really watch much of anything
>
> so regularly that I have a weekly television lineup, if you know what I
>
> mean.
>

> Jill

Don't forget all the time you spend with the chef at the club....
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-04-11, jmcquown > wrote:

> The two hour season premiere of Kitchen Nightmares airs tonight on Fox
> at 8:00 Eastern time in the US.

Geez.... I'll hafta see if my mom's TV in her bedroom still works and
the repeater on the mountain-top is still broadcasting. I think it
gets a fuzzy Fox. So, that's 8:00 Eastern .....daylight savings?....

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message

> Nope. I don't even like the original Hawaii 5-0 (and I'm a fiend for old
> and classic TV shows). If I'm not reading and posting here on Friday's
> I'm either reading a book or maybe watching online videos.
>
> When I remember it is on I do watch the television show Castle. I was
> late to the game but it's cute. I don't really watch much of anything so
> regularly that I have a weekly television lineup, if you know what I mean.
>
> Jill

Yes, I do know what you mean. I always catch them...but only thanks to a
DVR, before that I hardly remembered when they were on. :-)

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/11/2014 3:22 PM, notbob wrote:
> On 2014-04-11, jmcquown > wrote:
>
>> The two hour season premiere of Kitchen Nightmares airs tonight on Fox
>> at 8:00 Eastern time in the US.

> Geez.... I'll hafta see if my mom's TV in her bedroom still works and
> the repeater on the mountain-top is still broadcasting. I think it
> gets a fuzzy Fox. So, that's 8:00 Eastern .....daylight savings?....
>

> nb

Yes, daylight savings time. Whatever translates to 8:00 PM Eastern in
your time zone.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 Apr 2014 10:43:02 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> > Outside of posts here, I missed the original hoopla and only saw the
> > episode on Youtube last year.
> >
> > The two hour season premiere of Kitchen Nightmares airs tonight on Fox at
> > 8:00 Eastern time in the US.
> >
> > I happened to catch Amy and Samy on Dr. Phil while flipping through
> > channels the other day. This isn't (seriously!) the type of show I'd
> > normally watch. As soon as I saw them sitting there I had to watch the
> > last few minutes. It sure sounds to me like they're still nuts. Very
> > defensive. Friday night television is usually pretty dull. Maybe not
> > tonight.
> >
> > Jill

> You don't like Hawaii 5-0, Bluebloods, or Grimm?

I don't watch the other two, but it doesn't conflict with Grimm.
Tonight's lineup will be Rachael Maddow, Big Bang Theory and Kitchen
Nightmares. I'll record Grimm and watch it later, commercial free
(loving the current story line).

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 Apr 2014 14:16:55 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> When I remember it is on I do watch the television show Castle. I was
> late to the game but it's cute. I don't really watch much of anything
> so regularly that I have a weekly television lineup, if you know what I
> mean.

If you like Castle, do you like Burn Notice? Of the two, I like Burn
Notice better. One that I came to the party 5-7 years late and don't
think I've seen more than a handful of first run episodes (if that
many) is Psych. It's my kind of silliness.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/11/2014 7:30 PM, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Apr 2014 14:16:55 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> When I remember it is on I do watch the television show Castle. I was
>> late to the game but it's cute. I don't really watch much of anything
>> so regularly that I have a weekly television lineup, if you know what I
>> mean.

> If you like Castle, do you like Burn Notice? Of the two, I like Burn
> Notice better. One that I came to the party 5-7 years late and don't
> think I've seen more than a handful of first run episodes (if that
> many) is Psych. It's my kind of silliness.

They just wrapped Psych Too bad, it was fun. I really like Dulé
Hill. I haven't managed to catch Burn Notice, although I've seen ads
for it. I like Perception with Eric McCormack.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 Apr 2014 19:16:42 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 4/11/2014 3:22 PM, notbob wrote:
> > On 2014-04-11, jmcquown > wrote:
> >
> >> The two hour season premiere of Kitchen Nightmares airs tonight on Fox
> >> at 8:00 Eastern time in the US.

> > Geez.... I'll hafta see if my mom's TV in her bedroom still works and
> > the repeater on the mountain-top is still broadcasting. I think it
> > gets a fuzzy Fox. So, that's 8:00 Eastern .....daylight savings?....
> >

> > nb
> >

> Yes, daylight savings time. Whatever translates to 8:00 PM Eastern in
> your time zone.

Why not watch it on the computer?
http://www.fox.com/kitchen-nightmares/

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 Apr 2014 19:38:50 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> I like Perception with Eric McCormack.

Haven't even heard of that one. Will Google for it, thanks.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/11/2014 1:25 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> Outside of posts here, I missed the original hoopla and only saw the
> episode on Youtube last year.
>
> The two hour season premiere of Kitchen Nightmares airs tonight on Fox
> at 8:00 Eastern time in the US.
>
> I happened to catch Amy and Samy on Dr. Phil while flipping through
> channels the other day. This isn't (seriously!) the type of show I'd
> normally watch. As soon as I saw them sitting there I had to watch the
> last few minutes. It sure sounds to me like they're still nuts. Very
> defensive. Friday night television is usually pretty dull. Maybe not
> tonight.
>
> Jill

Thanks. I missed the first 10 minutes but I'm watching it now.

--
ღ.¸¸.œ«*¨`*œ¶
Cheryl
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/11/2014 7:59 PM, Sqwertz wrote:

> With all the fake reality shows and supernatural/futuristic/fantasy
> crap on TV it's hardly worth watching any more.
>
> -sw

Then along comes some of the special series like Planet Earth , Cosmos
and the like and you appreciate that big screen TV. The DVR makes it
easy to watch on my terms.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/11/2014 1:25 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> Outside of posts here, I missed the original hoopla and only saw the
> episode on Youtube last year.
>
> The two hour season premiere of Kitchen Nightmares airs tonight on Fox
> at 8:00 Eastern time in the US.
>
> I happened to catch Amy and Samy on Dr. Phil while flipping through
> channels the other day. This isn't (seriously!) the type of show I'd
> normally watch. As soon as I saw them sitting there I had to watch the
> last few minutes. It sure sounds to me like they're still nuts. Very
> defensive. Friday night television is usually pretty dull. Maybe not
> tonight.
>
> Jill

Well that was a waste of time. It was just a redux of what happened at
Amy's Baking Co. last year with some "unseen footage" and more comments
from Ramsay. He did send someone from the show in to talk with Amy &
Samy with a camera crew. It was the same old everyone is picking on us
and we're going to defend ourselves crap. The second hour is an
unrelated new episode at an Italian restaurant.

OB Food: Sloppy joes for dinner.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/11/2014 7:57 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> Is this the show where Gordon usually remodels the restaurant and
> changes the menu on their dime?
>
> -sw

Yes, Gordon revamps the menu if needed. Any remodel is on the show's
dime. The one good thing Ramsay had to say about Amy's Baking Co. was
the decor was great, the restaurant and the kitchen were very clean. I
doubt he'd have remodeled anything other than their personalities.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 Apr 2014 21:18:58 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> Well that was a waste of time. It was just a redux of what happened at
> Amy's Baking Co. last year with some "unseen footage" and more comments
> from Ramsay. He did send someone from the show in to talk with Amy &
> Samy with a camera crew. It was the same old everyone is picking on us
> and we're going to defend ourselves crap. The second hour is an
> unrelated new episode at an Italian restaurant.

Darn! Glad I didn't waste my time on it then.

> OB Food: Sloppy joes for dinner.

Package or homemade?

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/12/2014 2:58 AM, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Apr 2014 21:18:58 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> Well that was a waste of time. It was just a redux of what happened at
>> Amy's Baking Co. last year with some "unseen footage" and more comments
>> from Ramsay. He did send someone from the show in to talk with Amy &
>> Samy with a camera crew. It was the same old everyone is picking on us
>> and we're going to defend ourselves crap. The second hour is an
>> unrelated new episode at an Italian restaurant.

> Darn! Glad I didn't waste my time on it then.
>>
>> OB Food: Sloppy joes for dinner.
>>

> Package or homemade?

Homemade.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/11/2014 8:08 PM, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Apr 2014 19:38:50 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> I like Perception with Eric McCormack.

> Haven't even heard of that one. Will Google for it, thanks.

Another TNT show I like - Rizzoli & Isles (Angie Harmon and Sasha
Alexander). Sadly, a young member of the cast (Lee Thompson Young)
committed suicide last year. It's a bit unnerving to see him in recent
episodes because, well, he's dead. The new season starts in June.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/11/2014 9:14 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 4/11/2014 7:59 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> With all the fake reality shows and supernatural/futuristic/fantasy
>> crap on TV it's hardly worth watching any more.
>>
>> -sw
>>

> Then along comes some of the special series like Planet Earth , Cosmos
> and the like and you appreciate that big screen TV. The DVR makes it
> easy to watch on my terms.

Planet Earth is great. I haven't seen the new Cosmos. I only catch
these shows occasionally. They aren't listed on the channel guide.
Heck, the *channels* aren't listed on the channel guide.

I have basic cable, no DVR. Since buying a hi-def TV a few years ago, I
discovered I get more channels than the old analog set ever dreamed of.
LOL Sometimes I catch Planet Earth. It's truly spectacular.
Especially when you can see the images with such clarity. Great music,
too.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/12/2014 11:49 AM, jmcquown wrote:

> I have basic cable, no DVR. Since buying a hi-def TV a few years ago, I
> discovered I get more channels than the old analog set ever dreamed of.
> LOL Sometimes I catch Planet Earth. It's truly spectacular. Especially
> when you can see the images with such clarity. Great music, too.
>
> Jill

There are a handful of No TV adherents that boast then never watch the
rubbish that is on. I agree that the networks have a lot of rubudh but
there are some wonderful programs if you take the time to seek them out.
The clarity of a hi-def screen really adds to the viewing experience.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/12/2014 12:03 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 4/12/2014 11:49 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>

>> I have basic cable, no DVR. Since buying a hi-def TV a few years ago, I
>> discovered I get more channels than the old analog set ever dreamed of.
>> LOL Sometimes I catch Planet Earth. It's truly spectacular. Especially
>> when you can see the images with such clarity. Great music, too.
>>
>> Jill

> There are a handful of No TV adherents that boast then never watch the
> rubbish that is on. I agree that the networks have a lot of rubudh but
> there are some wonderful programs if you take the time to seek them out.

Sure there is rubbish. Most of the reality shows are rubbish, but
someone must be watching. But there are some fun shows on, too. Not
everything needs to be educational and PBS-ish to be entertaining.

I really enjoy Planet Earth when I catch it. Since the channel isn't
listed I never really know when it will be on.

> The clarity of a hi-def screen really adds to the viewing experience.

HD certainly does! My set isn't all that big. It's a 32" flat screen
(measured on the diagonal... lots of people don't know that's how to
measure screens/monitors.) The TV is the perfect size for the room. I
don't remember exactly what I paid for it but I know it wasn't much.

I know you remember when televisions used to be really expensive. They
were often huge heavy pieces of furniture. I don't miss that era one
iota.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-04-12 12:03 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> There are a handful of No TV adherents that boast then never watch the
> rubbish that is on. I agree that the networks have a lot of rubudh but
> there are some wonderful programs if you take the time to seek them out.
> The clarity of a hi-def screen really adds to the viewing experience.

The major networks are, for the most part, an cultural wasteland. I
never used to watch much television in the days that we caught the
transmissions over the air. Then I got satellite and got a bunch of
specialty channels. I watch a local news station... for local news, and
some of the international news stations, and there are a couple network
comedy shows. The rest of the stuff is a waste of my time.

Hi def is nice for some things. I have to say that if I watch hockey I
prefer in in the regular mode. My satellite includes close to 20 HD
stations. A lot of the nature stuff I get on DVD or BluRay from the
library.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 4/11/2014 8:08 PM, sf wrote:
>> On Fri, 11 Apr 2014 19:38:50 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I like Perception with Eric McCormack.

>> Haven't even heard of that one. Will Google for it, thanks.
>>

> Another TNT show I like - Rizzoli & Isles (Angie Harmon and Sasha
> Alexander). Sadly, a young member of the cast (Lee Thompson Young)
> committed suicide last year. It's a bit unnerving to see him in recent
> episodes because, well, he's dead. The new season starts in June.
>
> Jill

That was one of those shows that I started out not really liking, but I
really do look forward to it now. I agree that it is unnerving to see him
now. I really liked his character.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 4/12/2014 11:49 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>

>> I have basic cable, no DVR. Since buying a hi-def TV a few years ago, I
>> discovered I get more channels than the old analog set ever dreamed of.
>> LOL Sometimes I catch Planet Earth. It's truly spectacular. Especially
>> when you can see the images with such clarity. Great music, too.
>>
>> Jill

> There are a handful of No TV adherents that boast then never watch the
> rubbish that is on. I agree that the networks have a lot of rubudh but
> there are some wonderful programs if you take the time to seek them out.
> The clarity of a hi-def screen really adds to the viewing experience.

When I first got my HD DVR along with Directv, the clarity about knocked my
eyes out and took a bit to get used to it. It really does make a difference.
I do think the networks have some decent shows, but I also find that the
shows I enjoy the most are cable channels.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message

> I know you remember when televisions used to be really expensive. They
> were often huge heavy pieces of furniture. I don't miss that era one
> iota.
>
> Jill

I really miss the consoles since they were really nice pieces of furniture
many times and were great for putting things on top, but I do like the ease
of picking up the TV and moving it when it needs moving for dusting etc.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> On 4/12/2014 2:58 AM, sf wrote:

> > jmcquown wrote:
> >> OB Food: Sloppy joes for dinner.
> >>

> > Package or homemade?
> >

> Homemade.

LOL!
That's one meal that's a waste of your time going "homemade." Manwich
Bold and Spicy will be better than anything you make. No need to
"reinvent the wheel." Next you'll be mixing up your own homemade Diet
Coke.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/12/2014 1:25 PM, Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:

>>> Package or homemade?
>>>

>> Homemade.

> LOL!
> That's one meal that's a waste of your time going "homemade." Manwich
> Bold and Spicy will be better than anything you make. No need to
> "reinvent the wheel."

Where you do think they *found* the wheel? Home recipes, dude!

Next you'll be mixing up your own homemade Diet
> Coke.
>
> G.

Diet Coke/Coca Cola/soda - Not me, G.

It's easy enough to make your own sloppy joes. I browned just over a
pound of ground chuck. I minced some onion, garlic and bell pepper and
cooked it together until the beef was done and the veggies were tender.
Drained off the fat.

Don't you have to do that cook and drain the beef thing when you use a
can of Manwich?

To the drained cooked beef and veggies, I added a 16 oz. can of plain
crushed tomatoes and some water. I did add a scant amount of brown
sugar. I let it simmer on low and let it cook down, stirring
frequently. Gave it a taste. It needed a kick. I gave it a few dashes
of Lousiana hot sauce and stirred in a sprinkling of cayenne pepper.

I served it on a toasted plain old white hamburger bun. The leftover
sloppy joe meat will stretch for a few days. It's very tasty yet simple
fare. And yes, my homemade does beat Manwich, IMHO.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-04-12 12:23 PM, jmcquown wrote:

> I know you remember when televisions used to be really expensive. They
> were often huge heavy pieces of furniture.

They are cheaper now than they were back in the 60s, and that is without
factoring for inflation. You also needed to be technically minded to
keep them running because they needed frequent tube replacements.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Apr 2014 10:15:56 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
m...
>> On 4/12/2014 11:49 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>>

>>> I have basic cable, no DVR. Since buying a hi-def TV a few years ago, I
>>> discovered I get more channels than the old analog set ever dreamed of.
>>> LOL Sometimes I catch Planet Earth. It's truly spectacular. Especially
>>> when you can see the images with such clarity. Great music, too.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> There are a handful of No TV adherents that boast then never watch the
>> rubbish that is on. I agree that the networks have a lot of rubudh but
>> there are some wonderful programs if you take the time to seek them out.
>> The clarity of a hi-def screen really adds to the viewing experience.

>When I first got my HD DVR along with Directv, the clarity about knocked my
>eyes out and took a bit to get used to it. It really does make a difference.
>I do think the networks have some decent shows, but I also find that the
>shows I enjoy the most are cable channels.
>
>Cheri

Hi Def makes a huge difference... I watch all the Nat Geos I can find
and I enjoy those gold mining shows a lot. If I can't watch them when
broadcast I DVR them. There's a huge difference watching Hi Def.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Apr 2014 15:56:55 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2014-04-12 12:23 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>

>> I know you remember when televisions used to be really expensive. They
>> were often huge heavy pieces of furniture.

>They are cheaper now than they were back in the 60s, and that is without
>factoring for inflation. You also needed to be technically minded to
>keep them running because they needed frequent tube replacements.

And very often you needed to call a TV repairman, who most times would
also sell you a new tuner... there was no remote back then... to
change channels you had to get up off your ass.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Apr 2014 08:47:51 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 4/12/2014 2:58 AM, sf wrote:
> > On Fri, 11 Apr 2014 21:18:58 -0400, jmcquown >
> > wrote:
> >

> >> OB Food: Sloppy joes for dinner.
> >>

> > Package or homemade?
> >

> Homemade.

I've never made homemade sloppy Joe's that I liked. Haven't had it in
years. Coincidentally - I had some for lunch today that was home made
(not by me) that didn't thrill me either. I know Manwich used to come
in a package and I preferred that over canned. Didn't like any of the
other brands, just Manwich powdered, but I guess they don't make it
anymore. I have a new sloppy Joe mix to try - the brand is Red Fork.
http://www.gourmetwarehouse.ca/sites...?itok=ClcQS0HJ
If it's any good, I'll try some of their other skillet sauces too -
this one looks interesting
http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/03...98_500X500.jpg

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Apr 2014 09:56:48 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 4/11/2014 8:08 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Fri, 11 Apr 2014 19:38:50 -0400, jmcquown >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I like Perception with Eric McCormack.

> > Haven't even heard of that one. Will Google for it, thanks.
> >

> Another TNT show I like - Rizzoli & Isles (Angie Harmon and Sasha
> Alexander). Sadly, a young member of the cast (Lee Thompson Young)
> committed suicide last year. It's a bit unnerving to see him in recent
> episodes because, well, he's dead. The new season starts in June.

That's another one I haven't heard of, thanks.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 12 Apr 2014 15:56:55 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>>On 2014-04-12 12:23 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>>

>>> I know you remember when televisions used to be really expensive. They
>>> were often huge heavy pieces of furniture.

>>They are cheaper now than they were back in the 60s, and that is without
>>factoring for inflation. You also needed to be technically minded to
>>keep them running because they needed frequent tube replacements.

> And very often you needed to call a TV repairman, who most times would
> also sell you a new tuner... there was no remote back then... to
> change channels you had to get up off your ass.

That's why we had children. :-)

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/12/2014 1:13 PM, Cheri wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> On 4/11/2014 8:08 PM, sf wrote:

>>> Haven't even heard of that one. Will Google for it, thanks.
>>>

>> Another TNT show I like - Rizzoli & Isles (Angie Harmon and Sasha
>> Alexander). Sadly, a young member of the cast (Lee Thompson Young)
>> committed suicide last year. It's a bit unnerving to see him in
>> recent episodes because, well, he's dead. The new season starts in June.
>>
>> Jill

> That was one of those shows that I started out not really liking, but I
> really do look forward to it now. I agree that it is unnerving to see
> him now. I really liked his character.
>
> Cheri

I've always liked books by Tess Gerritsen; the series is loosely based
on characters she created.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/12/2014 8:33 PM, Cheri wrote:

> "Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
>> On Sat, 12 Apr 2014 15:56:55 -0400, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:

>>> They are cheaper now than they were back in the 60s, and that is without
>>> factoring for inflation. You also needed to be technically minded to
>>> keep them running because they needed frequent tube replacements.

>> And very often you needed to call a TV repairman, who most times would
>> also sell you a new tuner... there was no remote back then... to
>> change channels you had to get up off your ass.

> That's why we had children. :-)
>
> Cheri

LOL! Not having a remote wasn't a great hardship.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Apr 2014 17:33:33 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sat, 12 Apr 2014 15:56:55 -0400, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:

>>>They are cheaper now than they were back in the 60s, and that is without
>>>factoring for inflation. You also needed to be technically minded to
>>>keep them running because they needed frequent tube replacements.

>> And very often you needed to call a TV repairman, who most times would
>> also sell you a new tuner... there was no remote back then... to
>> change channels you had to get up off your ass.

>That's why we had children. :-)
>
>Cheri

Back then children were in bed by 8 PM or earlier, and they didn't
dare give parents any lip for fear of a good lickin'.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 12 Apr 2014 17:33:33 -0700, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Sat, 12 Apr 2014 15:56:55 -0400, Dave Smith

>>> And very often you needed to call a TV repairman, who most times would
>>> also sell you a new tuner... there was no remote back then... to
>>> change channels you had to get up off your ass.

>>That's why we had children. :-)
>>
>>Cheri

> Back then children were in bed by 8 PM or earlier, and they didn't
> dare give parents any lip for fear of a good lickin'.

They were in bed early because they were worn out from running back and
forth changing those channels. ;-)

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote:

>"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sat, 12 Apr 2014 17:33:33 -0700, "Cheri" >
>> wrote:

>>>That's why we had children. :-)
>>>
>>>Cheri

>> Back then children were in bed by 8 PM or earlier, and they didn't
>> dare give parents any lip for fear of a good lickin'.

>They were in bed early because they were worn out from running back and
>forth changing those channels. ;-)
>
>Cheri

Actually kids were not permitted to change channels, TVs were much too
expensive to let kids fiddle with the dials... in most homes "The
Wife" wasn't permitted to touch the TV... Archie would call you a
dingbat and you'd know to tick a lip. Ahahahahaha. . . .
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/12/2014 12:34 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

> Hi def is nice for some things. I have to say that if I watch hockey I
> prefer in in the regular mode. My satellite includes close to 20 HD
> stations.

Never heard of anyone preferring regular broadcast over HD. I've become
an HD snob and have only HD stations on the customized channel list.

My sat offers over 80 HD stations.