Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default OT Something to cheer us up:) A priest sings his sermon at a wedding in Ireland :)

Something to cheer us up A priest sings his sermon at a wedding in
Ireland

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYKwq...tSYVlh-ibvbk4g

Story he

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ernet-hit.html

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default OT Something to cheer us up:) A priest sings his sermon at a wedding

Loved it! Thanks!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> Loved it! Thanks!

Welcome, I loved it too. I thought there might be some Irish descendents
here. That priest has performed in US too

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 Apr 2014 11:43:25 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>Something to cheer us up A priest sings his sermon at a wedding in
>Ireland
>
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYKwq...tSYVlh-ibvbk4g
>
>Story he
>
>http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ernet-hit.html

Most of my favorite prophets and "priests" if you will sing their
material! One of my faves is a Gospel according to Mick! Even begins
with a nice choir opening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7leQB_Oe_k

:-)

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"John Kuthe" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 10 Apr 2014 11:43:25 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>
>>Something to cheer us up A priest sings his sermon at a wedding in
>>Ireland
>>
>>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYKwq...tSYVlh-ibvbk4g
>>
>>Story he
>>
>>http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ernet-hit.html

> Most of my favorite prophets and "priests" if you will sing their
> material! One of my faves is a Gospel according to Mick! Even begins
> with a nice choir opening:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7leQB_Oe_k
>
> :-)

Quite a bit different from the other one but I've always had a soft spot for
the Stones)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/10/2014 7:44 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> > wrote in message
>> Loved it! Thanks!

> Welcome, I loved it too. I thought there might be some Irish
> descendents here. That priest has performed in US too

My great-great grandmother on my mother's side married five (!) times.
One husband was an Irishman named Melvyn Kelly. Does that count?

What a great surprise for that couple's wedding.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 4/10/2014 7:44 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> > wrote in message
>>> Loved it! Thanks!

>> Welcome, I loved it too. I thought there might be some Irish
>> descendents here. That priest has performed in US too
>>

> My great-great grandmother on my mother's side married five (!) times. One
> husband was an Irishman named Melvyn Kelly. Does that count?

For this purpose? Yes))) But you don't have to be Irish to enjoy that)

> What a great surprise for that couple's wedding.

Wonderful Did you read the story? He is part of a group which sings for
charity. He says he likes to sing, but but not all the time and he prefers
being a priest best. I see they have also sung in USA
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/10/2014 11:56 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> Welcome, I loved it too. I thought there might be some Irish
>>> descendents here. That priest has performed in US too
>>>

>> My great-great grandmother on my mother's side married five (!) times.
>> One
>> husband was an Irishman named Melvyn Kelly. Does that count?

> For this purpose? Yes))) But you don't have to be Irish to enjoy
> that)
>

>> What a great surprise for that couple's wedding.

> Wonderful Did you read the story? He is part of a group which sings
> for charity. He says he likes to sing, but but not all the time and he
> prefers being a priest best. I see they have also sung in USA

I did read the story. I wondered while listening maybe he'd missed his
calling, so to speak. Not really, but he's got a good voice.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 4/10/2014 11:56 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> My great-great grandmother on my mother's side married five (!) times.
>>> One
>>> husband was an Irishman named Melvyn Kelly. Does that count?

>> For this purpose? Yes))) But you don't have to be Irish to enjoy
>> that)
>>

>>> What a great surprise for that couple's wedding.

>> Wonderful Did you read the story? He is part of a group which sings
>> for charity. He says he likes to sing, but but not all the time and he
>> prefers being a priest best. I see they have also sung in USA

> I did read the story. I wondered while listening maybe he'd missed his
> calling, so to speak. Not really, but he's got a good voice.

The article said he had made records with the proceeds going to charity.
I've been trying to find them but haven't managed to I would buy them.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 Apr 2014 12:53:02 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"John Kuthe" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Thu, 10 Apr 2014 11:43:25 +0100, "Ophelia"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>Something to cheer us up A priest sings his sermon at a wedding in
>>>Ireland
>>>
>>>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYKwq...tSYVlh-ibvbk4g
>>>
>>>Story he
>>>
>>>http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ernet-hit.html

>> Most of my favorite prophets and "priests" if you will sing their
>> material! One of my faves is a Gospel according to Mick! Even begins
>> with a nice choir opening:
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7leQB_Oe_k
>>
>> :-)

>Quite a bit different from the other one but I've always had a soft spot for
>the Stones)

It was funnym, but several years ago my sister told me that the
minister where she and my father go to church in Sundays told his
"flock" about this wise theologian he's heard of that said "You can't
always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you
need!" And I was like, of course. The Gospel according to Mick! ;-)

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"John Kuthe" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 10 Apr 2014 12:53:02 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

>>"John Kuthe" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Thu, 10 Apr 2014 11:43:25 +0100, "Ophelia"

>>> Most of my favorite prophets and "priests" if you will sing their
>>> material! One of my faves is a Gospel according to Mick! Even begins
>>> with a nice choir opening:
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7leQB_Oe_k
>>>
>>> :-)

>>Quite a bit different from the other one but I've always had a soft spot
>>for
>>the Stones)

> It was funnym, but several years ago my sister told me that the
> minister where she and my father go to church in Sundays told his
> "flock" about this wise theologian he's heard of that said "You can't
> always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you get what you
> need!" And I was like, of course. The Gospel according to Mick! ;-)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Thanks for posting this.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/10/2014 5:43 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> Something to cheer us up A priest sings his sermon at a wedding in
> Ireland
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYKwq...tSYVlh-ibvbk4g
>
> Story he
>
> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ernet-hit.html

That was fun and very touching. Made me smile through my tears. (-:

--
DreadfulBitch

There is no love more sincere than the love of food.
....George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/10/2014 8:26 PM, DreadfulBitch wrote:
> On 4/10/2014 5:43 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>> Something to cheer us up A priest sings his sermon at a wedding in
>> Ireland
>>
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYKwq...tSYVlh-ibvbk4g
>>
>> Story he
>>
>> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ernet-hit.html
>>

> That was fun and very touching. Made me smile through my tears. (-:

Leonard Cohen wrote the original song and (according to an interview I
saw) is rather perplexed by its continued popularity. This is one of
those songs that gives me an earworm. I had to go listen to the
original version after Ophelia posted this fun version. The (original)
lyrics are rather strange. She tied you to a kitchen chair?

An aside, I think everyone should be allowed to sit down during most of
their wedding.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 10 Apr 2014 20:57:20 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 4/10/2014 8:26 PM, DreadfulBitch wrote:
>> On 4/10/2014 5:43 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>> Something to cheer us up A priest sings his sermon at a wedding in
>>> Ireland
>>>
>>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYKwq...tSYVlh-ibvbk4g

>Leonard Cohen wrote the original song and (according to an interview I
>saw) is rather perplexed by its continued popularity. This is one of
>those songs that gives me an earworm. I had to go listen to the
>original version after Ophelia posted this fun version. The (original)
>lyrics are rather strange. She tied you to a kitchen chair?
>
>An aside, I think everyone should be allowed to sit down during most of
>their wedding.
>
>Jill

A lot of Cohen's lyrics are a bit strange, but I still listen to his
Live in London album frequently. One of my favorites is Dance Me To
The End of Love.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, April 10, 2014 8:57:20 PM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:
> On 4/10/2014 8:26 PM, DreadfulBitch wrote:
>
> > On 4/10/2014 5:43 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> >> Something to cheer us up A priest sings his sermon at a wedding in

> >> Ireland

> >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYKwq...tSYVlh-ibvbk4g

> >> Story he

> >> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ernet-hit.html

> > That was fun and very touching. Made me smile through my tears. (-:

> Leonard Cohen wrote the original song and (according to an interview I
>
> saw) is rather perplexed by its continued popularity. This is one of
>
> those songs that gives me an earworm. I had to go listen to the
>
> original version after Ophelia posted this fun version. The (original)
>
> lyrics are rather strange. She tied you to a kitchen chair?
>

> An aside, I think everyone should be allowed to sit down during most of
>
> their wedding.
>

> Jill

Please explain an 'earworm'.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>> DreadfulBitch wrote:

>> > That was fun and very touching. Made me smile through my tears. (-:

>> Leonard Cohen wrote the original song and (according to an interview I
>> saw) is rather perplexed by its continued popularity. This is one of
>> those songs that gives me an earworm. I had to go listen to the
>> original version after Ophelia posted this fun version. The (original)
>> lyrics are rather strange. She tied you to a kitchen chair?
>> An aside, I think everyone should be allowed to sit down during most of
>> their wedding.

>Please explain an 'earworm'.

Huh... you're incapable of using a dictionary?

Definition 2:
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/earworm
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/11/2014 4:22 PM, Kalmia wrote:
> On Thursday, April 10, 2014 8:57:20 PM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:
>> Leonard Cohen wrote the original song and (according to an interview I
>> saw) is rather perplexed by its continued popularity. This is one of
>> those songs that gives me an earworm.

(snipped self)
>> Jill

> Please explain an 'earworm'.

Hmmmm. To me it means sometimes after I hear a song it gets stuck in my
head. Cohen's 'Hallelujah' is one of those songs.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 11 Apr 2014 06:03:07 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On Thu, 10 Apr 2014 20:57:20 -0400, jmcquown >
>wrote:

>>Leonard Cohen wrote the original song and (according to an interview I
>>saw) is rather perplexed by its continued popularity. This is one of
>>those songs that gives me an earworm. I had to go listen to the
>>original version after Ophelia posted this fun version. The (original)
>>lyrics are rather strange. She tied you to a kitchen chair?

Listen to Halleluja done by K.D. Lang. It's amazing.

Doris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 4/11/2014 4:22 PM, Kalmia wrote:
>> On Thursday, April 10, 2014 8:57:20 PM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:
>>> Leonard Cohen wrote the original song and (according to an interview I
>>> saw) is rather perplexed by its continued popularity. This is one of
>>> those songs that gives me an earworm.
>> >

> (snipped self)
>>> Jill

>> Please explain an 'earworm'.
>>

> Hmmmm. To me it means sometimes after I hear a song it gets stuck in my
> head. Cohen's 'Hallelujah' is one of those songs.
>
> Jill

I keep going back to "The River" by Bruce Springsteen, and it drives me
crazy.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/12/2014 12:48 AM, Cheri wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>>> >

>> (snipped self)
>>>
>>> Please explain an 'earworm'.
>>>

>> Hmmmm. To me it means sometimes after I hear a song it gets stuck in
>> my head. Cohen's 'Hallelujah' is one of those songs.
>>
>> Jill

> I keep going back to "The River" by Bruce Springsteen, and it drives me
> crazy.
>
> Cheri

At least it's decent music! I once got the theme song from 'The Golden
Girls' stuck in my head. Talk about annoying!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/11/2014 11:25 PM, Doris Night wrote:
> On Fri, 11 Apr 2014 06:03:07 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 10 Apr 2014 20:57:20 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>>> Leonard Cohen wrote the original song and (according to an interview I
>>> saw) is rather perplexed by its continued popularity. This is one of
>>> those songs that gives me an earworm. I had to go listen to the
>>> original version after Ophelia posted this fun version. The (original)
>>> lyrics are rather strange. She tied you to a kitchen chair?

> Listen to Halleluja done by K.D. Lang. It's amazing.
>
> Doris

I prefer Rufus Wainright's version.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 12 Apr 2014 09:35:27 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 4/11/2014 11:25 PM, Doris Night wrote:
>> On Fri, 11 Apr 2014 06:03:07 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>> Listen to Halleluja done by K.D. Lang. It's amazing.
>>
>> Doris
>>

>I prefer Rufus Wainright's version.
>
>Jill

I think k.d. lang is one of the greatest female singers of all time.
I guess Leonard prefers k.d.'s version too ;-)
She performed it at the induction of Leonard Cohen into the Canadian
Songwriter's Hall of Fame in 2006.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYiMJ2bC65A
Cohen's partner, singer Anjani Thomas, said: "After hearing K.D. Lang
perform that song we looked at each other and said, 'well, I think we
can lay that song to rest now! It's really been done to its ultimate
blissful state of perfection'."

Ross.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, April 11, 2014 4:53:35 PM UTC-4, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> Kalmia wrote:
>
> > jmcquown wrote:

> >> Leonard Cohen wrote the original song and (according to an interview I

> >> saw) is rather perplexed by its continued popularity. This is one of

> >> those songs that gives me an earworm. I had to go listen to the

> >> original version after Ophelia posted this fun version. The (original)

> >> lyrics are rather strange. She tied you to a kitchen chair?

> >> An aside, I think everyone should be allowed to sit down during most of

> >> their wedding.

> >Please explain an 'earworm'.

> Huh... you're incapable of using a dictionary?
>

> Definition 2:
>
> http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/earworm

Forgive my stupidity - I thought is was just something she'd coined.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/13/2014 3:41 PM, Kalmia wrote:
> On Friday, April 11, 2014 4:53:35 PM UTC-4, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> Kalmia wrote:
>>

>>> Please explain an 'earworm'.

>> Huh... you're incapable of using a dictionary?
>>

>> Definition 2:
>>
>> http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/earworm

> Forgive my stupidity - I thought is was just something she'd coined.

I didn't coin the phrase. Sheldon is talking about some sort of actual
worms. I'm talking about when you get a song stuck in your head. As if
you can hear it, over and over. That is known as an earworm.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/13/2014 4:40 PM, jmcquown wrote:

> I didn't coin the phrase. Sheldon is talking about some sort of actual
> worms. I'm talking about when you get a song stuck in your head. As if
> you can hear it, over and over. That is known as an earworm.
>
> Jill

Yeah, some are good, others drive you nuts. Like some stupid commercial
jingle. I can enjoy if it is Romanian Rhapsody or Dvorak's New World
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, April 13, 2014 4:40:32 PM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:
> On 4/13/2014 3:41 PM, Kalmia wrote:

> >> Huh... you're incapable of using a dictionary?

> >> Definition 2:

> >> http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/earworm

> > Forgive my stupidity - I thought is was just something she'd coined.

> I didn't coin the phrase.

I realize that now.

Sheldon is talking about some sort of actual

> worms.

No - I don't think he meant that at all. He knew the term and I didn't, so it was just a good op to gimme da needle.

Hey - this would make a good thread: Your Current Earworm.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/14/2014 11:06 AM, Kalmia wrote:
> On Sunday, April 13, 2014 4:40:32 PM UTC-4, jmcquown wrote:

>>> Forgive my stupidity - I thought is was just something she'd coined.

>> I didn't coin the phrase.

> I realize that now.
>
> Sheldon is talking about some sort of actual
>>
>> worms.

> No - I don't think he meant that at all. He knew the term and I didn't, so it was just a good op to gimme da needle.

At least it wasn't a link to a picture of boobs.

> Hey - this would make a good thread: Your Current Earworm.

LOL! Having spent a bit of last night watching singing bird videos on
Youtube, my current earworm is [I left my heart in] "San Francisco".
Except it's not Tony Bennett I'm hearing, it's that damn parrot, Pancho.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cI6dPeNjRWw

Jill

TN: Kamptal lady sings this song, doo dah DaleW Wine 0 12-01-2010 06:52 PM
Ireland Maxwell Tea 3 14-01-2008 04:45 PM
Is my priest right re pasta sauce? FERRANTE General Cooking 10 28-12-2006 01:06 AM
A rabbi and a priest Sheldon General Cooking 28 02-02-2006 06:33 AM
TN: Mascarello sings, Pavie-Mac trails DaleW Wine 0 23-11-2005 06:34 PM