Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Flour vs. cornstarch?

If, as I'm assuming, cornstarch is more fattening, is it still somehow better than flour to use in, say, chocolate pudding? Why?

Lenona.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, April 9, 2014 7:10:00 PM UTC-4, Travis McGee wrote:

> I don't know this for a fact, but I was told that cornstarch does not
>
> need to be cooked after it thickens, whereas flour does, to make it
>
> digestible.

Well, in the eggless chocolate pudding recipe that I always use (with cornstarch), it says that once the pudding has thickened, you're supposed to cook it for another 15 minutes to get rid of any chalky taste.

BTW, once it's done, one can put a small amount of that pudding in the freezer, in a bowl, for two hours - by then, it's not quite hard and it's about as good as ice cream. (I never understand why almost all ice-cream recipes call for an ice-cream maker!)

Lenona.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, April 9, 2014 7:50:51 PM UTC-4, Travis McGee wrote:

> http://www.cheftalk.com/t/15684/flour-vs-cornstarch

Thanks for the link!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> If, as I'm assuming, cornstarch is more fattening, is it still somehow
> better than flour to use in, say, chocolate pudding? Why?

Not sure it's more fattening but you wouldn't want the taste of flour in a
chocolate pudding! Flour is better for things like gravy, IMO that you
might reheat. Cornstarch can break down when you reheat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
On Wednesday, April 9, 2014 7:10:00 PM UTC-4, Travis McGee wrote:

> I don't know this for a fact, but I was told that cornstarch does not
>
> need to be cooked after it thickens, whereas flour does, to make it
>
> digestible.

Well, in the eggless chocolate pudding recipe that I always use (with
cornstarch), it says that once the pudding has thickened, you're supposed to
cook it for another 15 minutes to get rid of any chalky taste.

BTW, once it's done, one can put a small amount of that pudding in the
freezer, in a bowl, for two hours - by then, it's not quite hard and it's
about as good as ice cream. (I never understand why almost all ice-cream
recipes call for an ice-cream maker!)

Lenona.

---

The ice cream maker incorporates air. You can do the same with a blender
but it's very time consuming and you can only do a small amount at a time.
Freeze your mix in ice cube trays. When frozen, put in the blender. Put
back in the ice cube trays and refreeze. Do this 2 or 3 times.