Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Will wonders ever cease?

My kids made it abundantly clear to me that I'm not one for ready made
foods or keep any significant quantity of fully cooked food on hand...
because they told me a story about when they were teenagers. One of
my son's best friends remarked to him upon surveying my stuffed
refrigerator: There's lots of food, but nothing to eat!

That said, I do admit to not paying attention to what's available in
the deli section or the inner aisles for that matter, so you can only
imagine my surprise when I discovered shredded chicken in the deli
refrigerator case. I'm hoping it's a regular item because it would
certainly shave some time off making certain dishes like enchilada
stuffed zucchini where I had to thaw and cook a couple of chicken
thighs so I could shred them - just to get going with the recipe.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Tuesday, April 1, 2014 3:10:50 PM UTC-7, sf wrote:

You can buy frozen shredded whole chicken meat or frozen shredded breast meat, etc., by the case (usually 10 lbs) in most Cash and Carry or Restaurant Supply type stores.

If you use a lot of chicken meat for Mexican food or soups or chicken salad, etc., it is a LOT cheaper to buy a case and portion it out and keep it in the freezer.

I'm willing to bet the shredded chicken in that deli case was just thawed from that same product.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 01 Apr 2014 15:10:50 -0700, sf > wrote:

>My kids made it abundantly clear to me that I'm not one for ready made
>foods or keep any significant quantity of fully cooked food on hand...
>because they told me a story about when they were teenagers. One of
>my son's best friends remarked to him upon surveying my stuffed
>refrigerator: There's lots of food, but nothing to eat!
>
>That said, I do admit to not paying attention to what's available in
>the deli section or the inner aisles for that matter, so you can only
>imagine my surprise when I discovered shredded chicken in the deli
>refrigerator case. I'm hoping it's a regular item because it would
>certainly shave some time off making certain dishes like enchilada
>stuffed zucchini where I had to thaw and cook a couple of chicken
>thighs so I could shred them - just to get going with the recipe.

It is a sign of getting older. I'm more inclined to buy a frozen
veggie with a butter sauce now.

About 18 months ago a new bakery opened not too far from us and we get
most of our bread there instead of baking. Some days we just don't
have the energy to do everything from scratch.

Probably another half dozen examples that will come to mind later.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message

> My kids made it abundantly clear to me that I'm not one for ready made
> foods or keep any significant quantity of fully cooked food on hand...
> because they told me a story about when they were teenagers. One of
> my son's best friends remarked to him upon surveying my stuffed
> refrigerator: There's lots of food, but nothing to eat!
>
> That said, I do admit to not paying attention to what's available in
> the deli section or the inner aisles for that matter, so you can only
> imagine my surprise when I discovered shredded chicken in the deli
> refrigerator case. I'm hoping it's a regular item because it would
> certainly shave some time off making certain dishes like enchilada
> stuffed zucchini where I had to thaw and cook a couple of chicken
> thighs so I could shred them - just to get going with the recipe.

Albertsons sells that. They also sell whole cooked chicken breasts as do
other stores. I pay attention to most all of the aisles. Don't usually
look at dog food or liquor and don't often look at frozen foods unless
perhaps I have a coupon or need something specific. I often find little
racks of things in odd spots where I wouldn't otherwise have looked.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 01 Apr 2014 18:28:50 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
>> About 18 months ago a new bakery opened not too far from us and we get
>> most of our bread there instead of baking. Some days we just don't
>> have the energy to do everything from scratch.

> Ahah! You're one of those whippersnappers that is responsible for
> ruining Trader Joes by buying [semi-]prepared foods! You heathen!
>
> Quote:
>
> "Those spoiled brats in
> the younger generation should be taken out behind the barn and
> horsewhipped. They're the ones who ruined TJ's and made it what it is
> now with all that premade processed crap they can pick up after work
> to just heat and eat."
>
> I would say somebody buying pre-cooked, pre-shredded chicken also
> falls into that same category.

But it's not just young people. I know people older than me who simply do
not cook. If they did buy shredded chicken, they would eat it as is or top
some bagged salad with it. They would never make enchiladas.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 01 Apr 2014 15:10:50 -0700, sf > wrote:

>My kids made it abundantly clear to me that I'm not one for ready made
>foods or keep any significant quantity of fully cooked food on hand...
>because they told me a story about when they were teenagers. One of
>my son's best friends remarked to him upon surveying my stuffed
>refrigerator: There's lots of food, but nothing to eat!
>
>That said, I do admit to not paying attention to what's available in
>the deli section or the inner aisles for that matter, so you can only
>imagine my surprise when I discovered shredded chicken in the deli
>refrigerator case. I'm hoping it's a regular item because it would
>certainly shave some time off making certain dishes like enchilada
>stuffed zucchini where I had to thaw and cook a couple of chicken
>thighs so I could shred them - just to get going with the recipe.

I saw bags of lightly salted, toasted tortilla strips at Cash and
Carry today. They were in bags like chips but were in the aisle with
flour and stuff like that. The strips were just exactly as you would
cut them for chicken tortilla soup.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 01 Apr 2014 17:49:44 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> On Tue, 01 Apr 2014 15:10:50 -0700, sf > wrote:
>

> >My kids made it abundantly clear to me that I'm not one for ready made
> >foods or keep any significant quantity of fully cooked food on hand...
> >because they told me a story about when they were teenagers. One of
> >my son's best friends remarked to him upon surveying my stuffed
> >refrigerator: There's lots of food, but nothing to eat!
> >
> >That said, I do admit to not paying attention to what's available in
> >the deli section or the inner aisles for that matter, so you can only
> >imagine my surprise when I discovered shredded chicken in the deli
> >refrigerator case. I'm hoping it's a regular item because it would
> >certainly shave some time off making certain dishes like enchilada
> >stuffed zucchini where I had to thaw and cook a couple of chicken
> >thighs so I could shred them - just to get going with the recipe.

> I saw bags of lightly salted, toasted tortilla strips at Cash and
> Carry today. They were in bags like chips but were in the aisle with
> flour and stuff like that. The strips were just exactly as you would
> cut them for chicken tortilla soup.

I can buy random weight bags of restaurant style "thin and crispy"
triangular chips that are IMO 100% better than what I'd make at home.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 1 Apr 2014 20:42:02 -0500, barbie gee >
wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Apr 2014, sf wrote:
>

> > My kids made it abundantly clear to me that I'm not one for ready made
> > foods or keep any significant quantity of fully cooked food on hand...
> > because they told me a story about when they were teenagers. One of
> > my son's best friends remarked to him upon surveying my stuffed
> > refrigerator: There's lots of food, but nothing to eat!
> >
> > That said, I do admit to not paying attention to what's available in
> > the deli section or the inner aisles for that matter, so you can only
> > imagine my surprise when I discovered shredded chicken in the deli
> > refrigerator case. I'm hoping it's a regular item because it would
> > certainly shave some time off making certain dishes like enchilada
> > stuffed zucchini where I had to thaw and cook a couple of chicken
> > thighs so I could shred them - just to get going with the recipe.

> look at the ingredients before you start dabbling in using that stuff...
> always very high in sodium, so unless you do not salt anything else in the
> recipes you make, you might be okay, but the ingredients will scare you!

If and when I buy it, I'll study the situation more closely - but the
meat looked hand shredded and fresh. I buy rotisserie chickens from
time to time and don't expect it to have any more sodium than those.
Thanks.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 01 Apr 2014 17:49:44 -0600, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>
>> I saw bags of lightly salted, toasted tortilla strips at Cash and
>> Carry today. They were in bags like chips but were in the aisle with
>> flour and stuff like that. The strips were just exactly as you would
>> cut them for chicken tortilla soup.

> A common item here in Texas, some brands are multi-colored, sold next
> to the croutons for topping salads and soups.

Here too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"barbie gee" > wrote in message
crg.pbz...

> On Tue, 1 Apr 2014, sf wrote:
>

>> My kids made it abundantly clear to me that I'm not one for ready made
>> foods or keep any significant quantity of fully cooked food on hand...
>> because they told me a story about when they were teenagers. One of
>> my son's best friends remarked to him upon surveying my stuffed
>> refrigerator: There's lots of food, but nothing to eat!
>>
>> That said, I do admit to not paying attention to what's available in
>> the deli section or the inner aisles for that matter, so you can only
>> imagine my surprise when I discovered shredded chicken in the deli
>> refrigerator case. I'm hoping it's a regular item because it would
>> certainly shave some time off making certain dishes like enchilada
>> stuffed zucchini where I had to thaw and cook a couple of chicken
>> thighs so I could shred them - just to get going with the recipe.

> look at the ingredients before you start dabbling in using that stuff...
> always very high in sodium, so unless you do not salt anything else in the
> recipes you make, you might be okay, but the ingredients will scare you!

Not always. Here we can get it plain. No seasonings whatever.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 01 Apr 2014 15:10:50 -0700, sf > wrote:
>

>>My kids made it abundantly clear to me that I'm not one for ready made
>>foods or keep any significant quantity of fully cooked food on hand...
>>because they told me a story about when they were teenagers. One of
>>my son's best friends remarked to him upon surveying my stuffed
>>refrigerator: There's lots of food, but nothing to eat!
>>
>>That said, I do admit to not paying attention to what's available in
>>the deli section or the inner aisles for that matter, so you can only
>>imagine my surprise when I discovered shredded chicken in the deli
>>refrigerator case. I'm hoping it's a regular item because it would
>>certainly shave some time off making certain dishes like enchilada
>>stuffed zucchini where I had to thaw and cook a couple of chicken
>>thighs so I could shred them - just to get going with the recipe.

> It is a sign of getting older. I'm more inclined to buy a frozen
> veggie with a butter sauce now.
>
> About 18 months ago a new bakery opened not too far from us and we get
> most of our bread there instead of baking. Some days we just don't
> have the energy to do everything from scratch.
>
> Probably another half dozen examples that will come to mind later.

I made my own bread since I married and even through all the years I was
working I made my own. These days we eat so little and I have lost the
urge to make a lot of things I used to. I use a small breadmaker these
days. I make up my own mixture and it does us fine

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Shredded chicken in the case? Sure, the convenience is there, but for anyone trying to live frugally, it's not the answer.

I used to wonder why I saw very elderly ppl buying ready to eat mashed spuds etc, - it finally dawned on me that they just can't do the work anymore. It's sad, because they prob. have to stretch the food dollar and can't. Ah, the dilemmas of old age on a meager income.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 2 Apr 2014 06:24:09 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:

> Shredded chicken in the case? Sure, the convenience is there, but for anyone trying to live frugally, it's not the answer.

I didn't say anything about living frugally, I said it's a great way
to get a meal started without needing to cook and shred the chicken
first. The biggest plus was that it looked like real meat, not
processed crap. I have no idea what they were charging per pound -
but whatever it was, the amount I'd need for the two of us was very
reasonable.

> I used to wonder why I saw very elderly ppl buying ready to eat mashed spuds etc, - it finally dawned on me that they just can't do the work anymore. It's sad, because they prob. have to stretch the food dollar and can't. Ah, the dilemmas of old age on a meager income.

I hope I die before it devolves to that situation.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

barbie gee wrote:
>sf wrote:
>>
>> My kids made it abundantly clear to me that I'm not one for ready made
>> foods or keep any significant quantity of fully cooked food on hand...
>> because they told me a story about when they were teenagers. One of
>> my son's best friends remarked to him upon surveying my stuffed
>> refrigerator: There's lots of food, but nothing to eat!
>>
>> That said, I do admit to not paying attention to what's available in
>> the deli section or the inner aisles for that matter, so you can only
>> imagine my surprise when I discovered shredded chicken in the deli
>> refrigerator case. I'm hoping it's a regular item because it would
>> certainly shave some time off making certain dishes like enchilada
>> stuffed zucchini where I had to thaw and cook a couple of chicken
>> thighs so I could shred them - just to get going with the recipe.

>look at the ingredients before you start dabbling in using that stuff...
>always very high in sodium, so unless you do not salt anything else in the
>recipes you make, you might be okay, but the ingredients will scare you!

I buy canned chicken, it's solid white meat... a change from tuna.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-04-02 5:04 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

>> look at the ingredients before you start dabbling in using that stuff...
>> always very high in sodium, so unless you do not salt anything else in the
>> recipes you make, you might be okay, but the ingredients will scare you!

> I buy canned chicken, it's solid white meat... a change from tuna.

I am curious.... is that a good deal? I can't remember the last time I
bought canned chicken.... if ever. We eat chicken a lot and usually cook
enough to have some left over for sandwiches.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
>Brooklyn1 wrote:
>
>>> look at the ingredients before you start dabbling in using that stuff...
>>> always very high in sodium, so unless you do not salt anything else in the
>>> recipes you make, you might be okay, but the ingredients will scare you!

>> I buy canned chicken, it's solid white meat... a change from tuna.

>I am curious.... is that a good deal? I can't remember the last time I
>bought canned chicken.... if ever. We eat chicken a lot and usually cook
>enough to have some left over for sandwiches.

I buy Walmart's Great Value brand, it's excellent.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> I can buy random weight bags of restaurant style "thin and crispy"
> triangular chips that are IMO 100% better than what I'd make at home.

Yep...sometimes it's a waste of time and effort to insist on homemade.
The best I've found are Tostitos, Restaurant Style, White corn chips.
I think that's the brand but it's been a couple of years since I
bought any. Homemade nachoes are on my menu for soon and I always get
them for the tortilla chips.

G.

On the same note...many years ago, on another food group, someone was
asking for a recipe to make diet coke. LOL. That was the stupidest
request I'd ever read. In hindsight, it was most likely just a troll.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2014-04-02 5:04 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>
>>> look at the ingredients before you start dabbling in using that stuff...
>>> always very high in sodium, so unless you do not salt anything else in
>>> the
>>> recipes you make, you might be okay, but the ingredients will scare you!

>> I buy canned chicken, it's solid white meat... a change from tuna.

> I am curious.... is that a good deal? I can't remember the last time I
> bought canned chicken.... if ever. We eat chicken a lot and usually cook
> enough to have some left over for sandwiches.

It can be if you get it on sale and use coupons. I've gotten many small
cans for free.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 02 Apr 2014 18:33:36 -0400, Gary > wrote:

> On the same note...many years ago, on another food group, someone was
> asking for a recipe to make diet coke. LOL. That was the stupidest
> request I'd ever read. In hindsight, it was most likely just a troll.

Do you have any good European recipes?

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 02 Apr 2014 19:55:19 -0400, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

> On Tue, 01 Apr 2014 15:10:50 -0700, sf > wrote:
>

> >That said, I do admit to not paying attention to what's available in
> >the deli section or the inner aisles for that matter, so you can only
> >imagine my surprise when I discovered shredded chicken in the deli
> >refrigerator case. I'm hoping it's a regular item because it would
> >certainly shave some time off making certain dishes like enchilada
> >stuffed zucchini where I had to thaw and cook a couple of chicken
> >thighs so I could shred them - just to get going with the recipe.

> Trader Joes has had stuff like this for quite some time..maybe years.
> They have several varieties, in their fresh section... One is called,
> Just Chicken, if I remember correctly.

This is different from the cooked chicken I've seen at TJ's. What I
see there is thick slices of breast that I have to shred... and it's
expensive. This stuff is already shredded and the price didn't blow
me away.

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 02 Apr 2014 19:55:19 -0400, Christine Dabney
> > wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 01 Apr 2014 15:10:50 -0700, sf > wrote:
>>

>> >That said, I do admit to not paying attention to what's available in
>> >the deli section or the inner aisles for that matter, so you can only
>> >imagine my surprise when I discovered shredded chicken in the deli
>> >refrigerator case. I'm hoping it's a regular item because it would
>> >certainly shave some time off making certain dishes like enchilada
>> >stuffed zucchini where I had to thaw and cook a couple of chicken
>> >thighs so I could shred them - just to get going with the recipe.

>> Trader Joes has had stuff like this for quite some time..maybe years.
>> They have several varieties, in their fresh section... One is called,
>> Just Chicken, if I remember correctly.
>>

> This is different from the cooked chicken I've seen at TJ's. What I
> see there is thick slices of breast that I have to shred... and it's
> expensive. This stuff is already shredded and the price didn't blow
> me away.
>
> --
> I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequilai
> used to buy shredded chicken there for Angela but it has been a few years.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

There are also various types of cut and shredded chicken, some flavored and some not, in the
packaged meat aisle where you would find things like sliced ham, Oscar Mayer sandwich meats, etc.
It been available there for years. If just chopped or cut up, you might have to shred it for your recipe, but
it is still a huge time-saver.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/3/2014 1:03 AM, sf wrote:

> Do you have any good European recipes?

Sure. I make hard boiled eggs European style. I put them in water and
bring it to a boil at 100C instead of 212F. I often make them the night
before, but instead of doing it a 8:00PM, I do it at 20:00

In the morning, they taste very European.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 4/3/2014 1:03 AM, sf wrote:
>

>> Do you have any good European recipes?
>>

> Sure. I make hard boiled eggs European style. I put them in water and
> bring it to a boil at 100C instead of 212F. I often make them the night
> before, but instead of doing it a 8:00PM, I do it at 20:00
>
> In the morning, they taste very European.

I can share my Brit version?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 03 Apr 2014 14:56:05 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 4/3/2014 1:03 AM, sf wrote:
>>
>> Do you have any good European recipes?
>>

>Sure. I make hard boiled eggs European style. I put them in water and
>bring it to a boil at 100C instead of 212F. I often make them the night
>before, but instead of doing it a 8:00PM, I do it at 20:00
>
>In the morning, they taste very European.

Heh

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 3 Apr 2014 20:13:06 +0100, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

>"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
>> On 4/3/2014 1:03 AM, sf wrote:
>>
>>> Do you have any good European recipes?
>>>

>> Sure. I make hard boiled eggs European style. I put them in water and
>> bring it to a boil at 100C instead of 212F. I often make them the night
>> before, but instead of doing it a 8:00PM, I do it at 20:00
>>
>> In the morning, they taste very European.

>I can share my Brit version?

Do you paint little union jacks on the eggs first?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jeßus" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 3 Apr 2014 20:13:06 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:

>>> Sure. I make hard boiled eggs European style. I put them in water and
>>> bring it to a boil at 100C instead of 212F. I often make them the night
>>> before, but instead of doing it a 8:00PM, I do it at 20:00
>>>
>>> In the morning, they taste very European.

>>I can share my Brit version?

> Do you paint little union jacks on the eggs first?

For you? Just ask <g>

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

The smallish cans of all white meat chicken is excellent, both in quality and convenience. I think you must be thinking of whole canned chickens, which aren't very popular any more, at least in my supermarkets. I think Sheldon is speaking of chunk white meat chicken, which can be found with other canned meats like tuna, shrimp, salmon and paper-wrapped cans of deviled ham. The brand I usually buy is Swanson's.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 > wrote in
:

> The smallish cans of all white meat chicken is excellent, both in
> quality and convenience. I think you must be thinking of whole canned
> chickens, which aren't very popular any more, at least in my
> supermarkets. I think Sheldon is speaking of chunk white meat
> chicken, which can be found with other canned meats like tuna, shrimp,
> salmon and paper-wrapped cans of deviled ham. The brand I usually buy
> is Swanson's.

Sheldon is awfully fond of canned meat. He praises SPAM, but disses
freshly ground beef from the grocery store, calling it, "Mystery meat."

No canned meat "is excellent." Lots of us have our little food slumming
things, but I would never claim that one of them is anything other than
just that, food slumming. I could say that I occasionally enjoy a package
of the cheapest chicken flavor Ramen noodles, with some carrot shaved into
the water and boiled for several minutes before adding the noodles, and in
addition to the seasoning packet, a rounded teaspoon of Better Than
Bouillon, a sprinkle of garlic salt, a half teaspoon or so of dried parsley
and a big pinch of black peeper and a little pinch of cayenne, and heck,
maybe even a tiny pinch of MSG, and about a half teaspoon of butter.

I like that. I don't consume it often--for one thing it's almost 100%
empty carbs--but I enjoy it upon occasion. I'd never describe it as
"excellent," or even really good, and I'm not recommending it. See the
difference?

Using words like excellent for food slummy fare degrades the word,
"excellent." It's like grade inflation. Enjoy your canned chicken, but
understand that it can never be more than mediocre, and nothing you make
with it is more than mediocre, though if I had to eat canned chicken,
Swanson's would certainly be my first choice.

--
--Bryan
"The 1960's called. They want their recipe back."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Well, we all are snobs about something...I guess yours is chunk white meat chicken in a can. It is excellent..
..has good flavor, is actual real non-re-formed chicken, and so far, none that I have purchased has ever had
any bits that weren't usable (like gristle, tendons, etc.) that you find in some other chicken products. I use
it for chicken salad and for chicken and rice casserole. You can't tell the difference between that and chicken
that you have cooked from raw yourself; except yours might not be as moist.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > wrote in message
> Well, we all are snobs about something...I guess yours is chunk white meat
> chicken in a can. It is excellent..
> .has good flavor, is actual real non-re-formed chicken, and so far, none
> that I have purchased has ever had
> any bits that weren't usable (like gristle, tendons, etc.) that you find
> in some other chicken products. I use
> it for chicken salad and for chicken and rice casserole. You can't tell
> the difference between that and chicken
> that you have cooked from raw yourself; except yours might not be as
> moist.

Agreed!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 > wrote in
:

> Well, we all are snobs about something...I guess yours is chunk white
> meat chicken in a can. It is excellent.. .has good flavor, is actual
> real non-re-formed chicken, and so far, none that I have purchased has
> ever had any bits that weren't usable (like gristle, tendons, etc.)
> that you find in some other chicken products. I use it for chicken
> salad and for chicken and rice casserole. You can't tell the
> difference between that and chicken that you have cooked from raw
> yourself; except yours might not be as moist.

You would have more properly written "*I* 'can't tell the difference,'" I
meaning you, not me.

In chicken salad, I probably wouldn't be able to discriminate, since I
don't eat food that is slopped with jarred "mayonnaise," which you might
insist is indistinguishable from real mayonnaise.

Take heart though. A more discriminating palate is mostly a curse, and it
seems that viewed in that light, you have been generously blessed.

--
--Bryan
"The 1960's called. They want their recipe back."
--Steve Wertz in rec.food.cooking 4-20-2009
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in
:

> "Nancy2" > wrote in message
>> Well, we all are snobs about something...I guess yours is chunk white
>> meat chicken in a can. It is excellent..
>> .has good flavor, is actual real non-re-formed chicken, and so far,
>> none that I have purchased has ever had
>> any bits that weren't usable (like gristle, tendons, etc.) that you
>> find in some other chicken products. I use
>> it for chicken salad and for chicken and rice casserole. You can't
>> tell the difference between that and chicken
>> that you have cooked from raw yourself; except yours might not be as
>> moist.

> Agreed!

No one would be surprised that *you* couldn't tell.

--
--Bryan
"The 1960's called. They want their recipe back."
--Steve Wertz in rec.food.cooking 4-20-2009
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 4 Apr 2014 07:00:29 +0000 (UTC), "Winters_Lackey"

:

>> Well, we all are snobs about something...I guess yours is chunk white
>> meat chicken in a can. It is excellent.. .has good flavor, is actual
>> real non-re-formed chicken, and so far, none that I have purchased has
>> ever had any bits that weren't usable (like gristle, tendons, etc.)
>> that you find in some other chicken products. I use it for chicken
>> salad and for chicken and rice casserole. You can't tell the
>> difference between that and chicken that you have cooked from raw
>> yourself; except yours might not be as moist.

>A more discriminating palate is mostly a curse.

Yeah, you discriminate whose penis you suck, only the long thick juicy
ones.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:

>Well, we all are snobs about something...I guess yours is chunk white meat chicken in a can. It is excellent..
>.has good flavor, is actual real non-re-formed chicken, and so far, none that I have purchased has ever had
>any bits that weren't usable (like gristle, tendons, etc.) that you find in some other chicken products. I use
>it for chicken salad and for chicken and rice casserole. You can't tell the difference between that and chicken
>that you have cooked from raw yourself; except yours might not be as moist.

Of the several brands of canned chicken breast I've tried all are on
par with quality all white solid pack canned tuna, and can be used in
all the same recipes with equal success... only difference is that the
chicken is about half the price of the tuna... I like both and buy
both. I like the canned chicken better than picked off the frame
chicken in pot pies, costs less too as there's no waste, no cooking,
no pans to scrub... I prefer to buy the larger size cans, the chunks
are larger, and there's enough for left overs or to feed more
people... naturally my cats love canned chicken breast better than
canned tuna. Canned chicken breast works well in soups and many other
recipes, it's a staple in my pantry.
http://allrecipes.com/recipes/everyd...anned-chicken/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Wed, 02 Apr 2014 18:33:36 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
> > On the same note...many years ago, on another food group, someone was
> > asking for a recipe to make diet coke. LOL. That was the stupidest
> > request I'd ever read. In hindsight, it was most likely just a troll.

> Do you have any good European recipes?

Actually I do have some authentic Russian family recipes (not from a
cookbook). Quite a few years ago,I talked via email for a bit with a
woman who grew up there and I asked about something authentic. She
sent me a few family recipes. If you are really interested, I can try
to find them. I think they are still on my last computer but hopefully
I transferred them to this one when I changed. I do know that I never
printed them out. Two of them, that I tried, were very good.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 04 Apr 2014 18:56:12 -0400, Gary > wrote:

> sf wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 02 Apr 2014 18:33:36 -0400, Gary > wrote:
> >
> > > On the same note...many years ago, on another food group, someone was
> > > asking for a recipe to make diet coke. LOL. That was the stupidest
> > > request I'd ever read. In hindsight, it was most likely just a troll.

> > Do you have any good European recipes?

> Actually I do have some authentic Russian family recipes (not from a
> cookbook). Quite a few years ago,I talked via email for a bit with a
> woman who grew up there and I asked about something authentic. She
> sent me a few family recipes. If you are really interested, I can try
> to find them.

I was just trolling you, Gary. Quite successfully it seems.

> I think they are still on my last computer but hopefully
> I transferred them to this one when I changed. I do know that I never
> printed them out. Two of them, that I tried, were very good.

You should put them on a thumb drive or a portable hard drive ASAP for
safe keeping.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> sf wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 02 Apr 2014 18:33:36 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>>
>> > On the same note...many years ago, on another food group, someone was
>> > asking for a recipe to make diet coke. LOL. That was the stupidest
>> > request I'd ever read. In hindsight, it was most likely just a troll.

>> Do you have any good European recipes?

> Actually I do have some authentic Russian family recipes (not from a
> cookbook). Quite a few years ago,I talked via email for a bit with a
> woman who grew up there and I asked about something authentic. She
> sent me a few family recipes. If you are really interested, I can try
> to find them. I think they are still on my last computer but hopefully
> I transferred them to this one when I changed. I do know that I never
> printed them out. Two of them, that I tried, were very good.

Please do?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Gary" > wrote in message
>> sf wrote:

>>> Do you have any good European recipes?

>> Actually I do have some authentic Russian family recipes (not from a
>> cookbook). Quite a few years ago,I talked via email for a bit with a
>> woman who grew up there and I asked about something authentic. She
>> sent me a few family recipes. If you are really interested, I can try
>> to find them. I think they are still on my last computer but hopefully
>> I transferred them to this one when I changed. I do know that I never
>> printed them out. Two of them, that I tried, were very good.

> Please do?

Angela and I loved to eat at a Russian place on Staten Island. We never had
the meals though. Just appetizers, soups and salads.

The Kitchen, and All Its Wonders Victor Sack[_1_] General Cooking 1 18-11-2012 03:02 PM
Winter Wonders mixr General 0 27-01-2010 06:02 PM
The Wonders of Juicing Zaz General Cooking 2 12-07-2009 08:14 PM
Ship's Tour Of My Universe To Begin - Call To Arms! Duty Stations! Fire When Ready! Cease Fire Procola! Pt III/III Robert Peffers. Preserving 0 03-04-2007 12:57 PM
The medical wonders of wine Ray Winemaking 8 30-04-2004 03:16 AM