Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default San Francisco Bay Area Mosquito Control

For those who are getting a little sick of mosquito bites, what the government
would do for you in the Bay Area:

http://www.mosquitoes.org/fish_request.htm
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 29 Mar 2014 11:00:00 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

> For those who are getting a little sick of mosquito bites, what the government
> would do for you in the Bay Area:

http://www.mosquitoes.org/fish_request.htm

"We will deliver the fish only to Alameda County addresses."

IME, you can buy mosquito fish just about anywhere aquatic plants are
sold.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in news:d849162b-30b5-4c3a-9a38-d95b7e96ce08
@googlegroups.com:

http://www.mosquitoes.org/fish_request.htm

I use mosquito bits. I toss it into the gutters of both houses, and set
out ovitraps. Last Friday I promised to build a raised bed for a neighbor
who is kind like an unofficial block captain. She was complaining that
most residents had not been good about getting back to her with recipes for
the West Ranken Ave. cookbook she's trying to put together. Anyway, I
might be able to convince her to talk to other neighbors about putting
ovitraps out that I would happily service, adding granules after every
rain. The stuff works.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacillu...is_israelensis

--
--Bryan
"The 1960's called. They want their recipe back."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Winters_Lackey wrote:

> wrote in news:d849162b-30b5-4c3a-9a38-d95b7e96ce08
> @googlegroups.com:

http://www.mosquitoes.org/fish_request.htm

> I use mosquito bits. I toss it into the gutters of both houses...

Really? >:-o
The time that you take to put some anti-mosquito bits/poison in your
gutters, you could just clean them out, slacker...gutters and
downspouts. Mosquitos only breed and hatch in stagnant water. Quit
dreaming about all things sexual and go clean out and clean your damn
gutters and downspouts, you assmonkey!

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary > wrote in :

> Winters_Lackey wrote:
>>
>> wrote in
>> news:d849162b-30b5-4c3a-9a38-d95b7e96ce08 @googlegroups.com:

http://www.mosquitoes.org/fish_request.htm

>> I use mosquito bits. I toss it into the gutters of both houses...

> Really? >:-o
> The time that you take to put some anti-mosquito bits/poison in your
> gutters, you could just clean them out, slacker...gutters and
> downspouts.

It takes A LOT longer to clean the gutters than to throw the bits up there,
and since I don't like ladders, I use one of these--
http://www.smarthome.com/31262/Gutte...2-Rain-Gutter-
Cleaning-Device/p.aspx

It needs to be a nice, warm day because I get completely soaked.

> Mosquitos only breed and hatch in stagnant water.

But it doesn't take much. I'm not going out every 3-4 weeks to spray out
my gutters.

> Quit dreaming about all things sexual and go
> clean out and clean your damn
> gutters and downspouts, you assmonkey!

But Gary, since I've become enlightened to the practice of non-stop
romantic feelings, my life has become very happy. I know that
International Kissing Day isn't for a little over three months, but it's
supposed to be 66F and sunny here today. Seems like a perfect day to take
a picnic out into the forest, way off path, to somewhere that is private
enough to spend an hour or more kissing, but not private enough for
anything to progress beyond kissing. We're planning on leaving a little
before noon. A solid hour of kissy-face. Fairly recently, a dearly
beloved platonic fried told me that she considers her face to be the most
personal part of her body. That is *so* true. Kisses transcend hot.

Like I keep saying, see that movie. The kisses are spectacular. Way
better than gutter cleaning. I guess that makes me a pervert.

--
--Bryan
"The 1960's called. They want their recipe back."
--Steve Wertz in rec.food.cooking 4-20-2009

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/30/2014 11:36 AM, Winters_Lackey wrote:
> Gary > wrote in :
>
>> Winters_Lackey wrote:
>>>
>>> wrote in
>>> news:d849162b-30b5-4c3a-9a38-d95b7e96ce08 @googlegroups.com:

http://www.mosquitoes.org/fish_request.htm

>>> I use mosquito bits. I toss it into the gutters of both houses...

>> Really? >:-o
>> The time that you take to put some anti-mosquito bits/poison in your
>> gutters, you could just clean them out, slacker...gutters and
>> downspouts.
>>

> It takes A LOT longer to clean the gutters than to throw the bits up there,
> and since I don't like ladders, I use one of these--
> http://www.smarthome.com/31262/Gutte...2-Rain-Gutter-
> Cleaning-Device/p.aspx
>
> It needs to be a nice, warm day because I get completely soaked.
>>
>> Mosquitos only breed and hatch in stagnant water.
>>

> But it doesn't take much. I'm not going out every 3-4 weeks to spray out
> my gutters.
>>
>> Quit dreaming about all things sexual and go
>> clean out and clean your damn
>> gutters and downspouts, you assmonkey!
>>

> But Gary, since I've become enlightened to the practice of non-stop
> romantic feelings, my life has become very happy. I know that
> International Kissing Day isn't for a little over three months, but it's
> supposed to be 66F and sunny here today. Seems like a perfect day to take
> a picnic out into the forest, way off path, to somewhere that is private
> enough to spend an hour or more kissing, but not private enough for
> anything to progress beyond kissing. We're planning on leaving a little
> before noon. A solid hour of kissy-face. Fairly recently, a dearly
> beloved platonic fried told me that she considers her face to be the most
> personal part of her body. That is *so* true. Kisses transcend hot.
>>

> Like I keep saying, see that movie. The kisses are spectacular. Way
> better than gutter cleaning. I guess that makes me a pervert.

What's a San Franciscan doing to worry about stagnant water? I thought
they were having a drought :-)

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 Mar 2014 11:42:52 -0400, James Silverton
> wrote:

> What's a San Franciscan doing to worry about stagnant water? I thought
> they were having a drought :-)

Yes it's an official drought, but we had rain yesterday.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote in newschgj9tsno7i2kvhp2jtbh3o2g5kvrou2v@
4ax.com:

> On Sun, 30 Mar 2014 11:42:52 -0400, James Silverton
> > wrote:
>
>> What's a San Franciscan doing to worry about stagnant water? I thought
>> they were having a drought :-)

> Yes it's an official drought, but we had rain yesterday.

Oh no! Gary better get out there and clean his gutters.

--
--Bryan
"The 1960's called. They want their recipe back."
--Steve Wertz in rec.food.cooking 4-20-2009
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 Mar 2014 16:40:38 +0000 (UTC), "Winters_Lackey"
> wrote:

> sf > wrote in newschgj9tsno7i2kvhp2jtbh3o2g5kvrou2v@
> 4ax.com:
>
> > On Sun, 30 Mar 2014 11:42:52 -0400, James Silverton
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> What's a San Franciscan doing to worry about stagnant water? I thought
> >> they were having a drought :-)

> > Yes it's an official drought, but we had rain yesterday.
> >

> Oh no! Gary better get out there and clean his gutters.

Gary lives on the East coast, not the West coast.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 30 Mar 2014 09:52:03 -0700, sf > wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Mar 2014 16:40:38 +0000 (UTC), "Winters_Lackey"
> > wrote:
>
> > sf > wrote in newschgj9tsno7i2kvhp2jtbh3o2g5kvrou2v@
> > 4ax.com:
> >
> > > On Sun, 30 Mar 2014 11:42:52 -0400, James Silverton

> > > Yes it's an official drought, but we had rain yesterday.
> > >

> > Oh no! Gary better get out there and clean his gutters.
> > >

> Gary lives on the East coast, not the West coast.

FYI: The OP was about ponds, not puddles.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Winters_Lackey wrote:

> Gary wrote:
> > Mosquitos only breed and hatch in stagnant water.
> >

> But it doesn't take much. I'm not going out every 3-4 weeks to spray out
> my gutters.

Dude. Leaves falling in the fall are what will clog your gutters. If
you never clean them out, they break down into soil (great for your
garden).

Gutters only need to be cleaned out once a year after all the leaves
fall. January is a good time. Maybe a 2nd time 6 months later to be
safe. If you have pine trees, those needles fall all year so maybe 3-4
times a year.

If you don't clean your gutters occasionally, and even worse, any
valleys in your roof (if you have them), not cleaning them out can
cause rain water to back up (especially after a freeze and they cause
an ice dam) and damage the inside of your house. Your gutters should
never be a stagnant water/mosquito issue just keep them clear.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:
>Winters_Lackey wrote:
>> Gary wrote:
>> >
>> > Mosquitos only breed and hatch in stagnant water.
>> >

>> But it doesn't take much. I'm not going out every 3-4 weeks to spray out
>> my gutters.

>Dude. Leaves falling in the fall are what will clog your gutters. If
>you never clean them out, they break down into soil (great for your
>garden).
>
>Gutters only need to be cleaned out once a year after all the leaves
>fall. January is a good time. Maybe a 2nd time 6 months later to be
>safe. If you have pine trees, those needles fall all year so maybe 3-4
>times a year.
>
>If you don't clean your gutters occasionally, and even worse, any
>valleys in your roof (if you have them), not cleaning them out can
>cause rain water to back up (especially after a freeze and they cause
>an ice dam) and damage the inside of your house. Your gutters should
>never be a stagnant water/mosquito issue just keep them clear.

First remedy is to remove all over hanging tree branches, that
minimizes leaves falling into gutters, also allows sun to reach the
roof so it dries quickly so preventing the growth of moss/mold from
destroying a roof. My problem is a windbreak of 60' conifers (Norway
spruce) about 50' away, when windy the cones blow into my gutters, so
I put those strainer thingies into my down spouts. Once a year I
clean my gutters. The bigger problem with clogged gutters (much worse
than skeeters) here in winter is ice dams in gutters, so it's very
important to keep gutters flowing or water can back up into eaves and
destroy a house. Home ownership is NOT a comatose endeaver.