Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

Default Wow....look at what this town is doing with growing food.

I think this should be done everywhere. You can grow food in the unlikeliest of places.
And it's not expensive to do. What a great idea. No pesticides, no GMO's, just good clean fresh food.

http://tinyurl.com/pkhtnbv
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags wrote:

>I think this should be done everywhere. You can grow food in the unlikeliest of places.
>And it's not expensive to do. What a great idea. No pesticides, no GMO's, just good clean fresh food.
>http://tinyurl.com/pkhtnbv

That's nothing new, community gardens have existed world-wide for
thousands of years... where I live most everyone has a home garden and
many raise livestock, and crops are shared... even the HOAs have land
set aside for a community garden. There are many community gardens in
NYC.
http://www.greenthumbnyc.org/
http://www.greenthumbnyc.org/gardensearch.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 23 Mar 2014 10:23:50 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

> I think this should be done everywhere. You can grow food in the unlikeliest of places.
> And it's not expensive to do. What a great idea. No pesticides, no GMO's, just good clean fresh food.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/pkhtnbv

Get back to me when you can figure out how to do that without watering
with a hose and little to no summer rain.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/23/2014 1:54 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> ImStillMags wrote:
>>
>> I think this should be done everywhere. You can grow food in the unlikeliest of places.
>> And it's not expensive to do. What a great idea. No pesticides, no GMO's, just good clean fresh food.
>> http://tinyurl.com/pkhtnbv

> That's nothing new, community gardens have existed world-wide for
> thousands of years... where I live most everyone has a home garden and
> many raise livestock, and crops are shared... even the HOAs have land
> set aside for a community garden. There are many community gardens in
> NYC.
> http://www.greenthumbnyc.org/
> http://www.greenthumbnyc.org/gardensearch.html

There were plenty of "Victory gardens". It's not a new concept.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 23 Mar 2014 10:23:50 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

>I think this should be done everywhere. You can grow food in the unlikeliest of places.
>And it's not expensive to do. What a great idea. No pesticides, no GMO's, just good clean fresh food.
>
>http://tinyurl.com/pkhtnbv

thank you for sharing a positive story. Ignore the curmudgeons. I
think it is wonderful.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/23/14 1:23 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
> I think this should be done everywhere. You can grow food in the unlikeliest of places.
> And it's not expensive to do. What a great idea. No pesticides, no GMO's, just good clean fresh food.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/pkhtnbv

Not terribly impressed with how they demonize supermarkets though. I
suspect they still do need a few things from the market now and then and
yet they're the bad guys? I'd say they're serving a purpose even if
their are now better alternatives for many (not all) of the things this
community is growing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 23 Mar 2014 12:30:19 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

>On Sun, 23 Mar 2014 10:23:50 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:
>
>>I think this should be done everywhere. You can grow food in the unlikeliest of places.
>>And it's not expensive to do. What a great idea. No pesticides, no GMO's, just good clean fresh food.
>>
>>http://tinyurl.com/pkhtnbv

>thank you for sharing a positive story. Ignore the curmudgeons. I
>think it is wonderful.

In the UK don't they call that an Allotment?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/23/14 2:47 PM, Goomba wrote:

> Not terribly impressed with how they demonize supermarkets though. I
> suspect they still do need a few things from the market now and then and
> yet they're the bad guys? I'd say they're serving a purpose even if
> their are now better alternatives for many (not all) of the things this
> community is growing.

Let me rephrase this- I think the supermarkets still serve a purpose
even though many in the community can now get free, locally grown
produce etc. To demonize them is to imply they never served any
function or need and that's just not true.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 23 Mar 2014 12:30:19 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> > wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 23 Mar 2014 10:23:50 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:
>>
>>>I think this should be done everywhere. You can grow food in the
>>>unlikeliest of places.
>>>And it's not expensive to do. What a great idea. No pesticides, no
>>>GMO's, just good clean fresh food.
>>>
>>>http://tinyurl.com/pkhtnbv

>>thank you for sharing a positive story. Ignore the curmudgeons. I
>>think it is wonderful.

> In the UK don't they call that an Allotment?

An allotment is a piece of land rented from the local authority.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
>> On Sun, 23 Mar 2014 12:30:19 -0600, Janet Bostwick
>> > wrote:

>>>thank you for sharing a positive story. Ignore the curmudgeons. I
>>>think it is wonderful.

>> In the UK don't they call that an Allotment?

> An allotment is a piece of land rented from the local authority.

I should have added, they are mostly used for growing veg/flowers etc but
some people keep chickens on them.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote in
:

> On Sun, 23 Mar 2014 10:23:50 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> > wrote:
>
>> I think this should be done everywhere. You can grow food in the
>> unlikeliest of places. And it's not expensive to do. What a great
>> idea. No pesticides, no GMO's, just good clean fresh food.
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/pkhtnbv

> Get back to me when you can figure out how to do that without watering
> with a hose and little to no summer rain.

Opium poppies require very little watering.

--
--Bryan
"The 1960's called. They want their recipe back."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 23 Mar 2014 14:52:23 -0400, Goomba >
wrote:

>On 3/23/14 2:47 PM, Goomba wrote:
>
>> Not terribly impressed with how they demonize supermarkets though. I
>> suspect they still do need a few things from the market now and then and
>> yet they're the bad guys? I'd say they're serving a purpose even if
>> their are now better alternatives for many (not all) of the things this
>> community is growing.

>Let me rephrase this- I think the supermarkets still serve a purpose
>even though many in the community can now get free, locally grown
>produce etc. To demonize them is to imply they never served any
>function or need and that's just not true.

Lot's of folks here grow crops and raise livestock but they still need
to shop, it's not possible to grow and raise everything, not even
close... a lot of foods have to be shipped great distances, the
markets do enough volume to afford the shipping and still sell at an
affordable price. My vegetable garden is a hobby, it saves me not a
cent, in fact it costs me more to grow crops than I would pay at
market.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 23 Mar 2014 14:48:42 -0400, Brooklyn1
> wrote:

>On Sun, 23 Mar 2014 12:30:19 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 23 Mar 2014 10:23:50 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:
>>
>>>I think this should be done everywhere. You can grow food in the unlikeliest of places.
>>>And it's not expensive to do. What a great idea. No pesticides, no GMO's, just good clean fresh food.
>>>
>>>http://tinyurl.com/pkhtnbv

>>thank you for sharing a positive story. Ignore the curmudgeons. I
>>think it is wonderful.

>In the UK don't they call that an Allotment?

I believe that an allotment is for individual use -- or at least for
those that have rented that space. This article indicates that
everyone in town is devoting space/work/supplies gratis, however
small, to food production and the results are available to anyone who
wants/needs it. The concept in the article is certainly more like a
Victory Garden.
In my opinion, it doesn't do to project a jaded attitude toward
efforts like this. It's easy to sit back and declare BTDT. That's
what leads to a general attitude of ennui. That's when we give over
the care and keeping of our country to those that are out to take our
freedoms and good living away from us. Here ends the sermon.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 Mar 2014 08:21:57 +1100, John J > wrote:

>On Sun, 23 Mar 2014 11:04:58 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 23 Mar 2014 10:23:50 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:
>>
>>> I think this should be done everywhere. You can grow food in the unlikeliest of places.
>>> And it's not expensive to do. What a great idea. No pesticides, no GMO's, just good clean fresh food.
>>>
>>> http://tinyurl.com/pkhtnbv

>>Get back to me when you can figure out how to do that without watering
>>with a hose and little to no summer rain.

>Move?

That's why sf's ass is so gigantic, she hardly moves, can't even water
a dinky widdle garden. I don't see any big deal to watering a garden,
open the valve and stand there with a hose like a guy ****ing... sf
may even enjoy it... the closest that lard ass has been to a male's
****er in more than thirty years.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, gravesend10
@verizon.net says...

> On Sun, 23 Mar 2014 12:30:19 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> > wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 23 Mar 2014 10:23:50 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> > wrote:
> >
> >>I think this should be done everywhere. You can grow food in the unlikeliest of places.
> >>And it's not expensive to do. What a great idea. No pesticides, no GMO's, just good clean fresh food.
> >>
> >>http://tinyurl.com/pkhtnbv

> >thank you for sharing a positive story. Ignore the curmudgeons. I
> >think it is wonderful.

> In the UK don't they call that an Allotment?

No, people pay rent for allotments and have a formal contract of use;
this is just people using any vacant patch .. with or without permission

Janet UK

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 Mar 2014 08:21:57 +1100, John J > wrote:

>On Sun, 23 Mar 2014 11:04:58 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 23 Mar 2014 10:23:50 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:
>>
>>> I think this should be done everywhere. You can grow food in the unlikeliest of places.
>>> And it's not expensive to do. What a great idea. No pesticides, no GMO's, just good clean fresh food.
>>>
>>> http://tinyurl.com/pkhtnbv

>>Get back to me when you can figure out how to do that without watering
>>with a hose and little to no summer rain.

>Move?

I suggest another planet, just to be sure.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 23 Mar 2014 15:11:24 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

>On Sun, 23 Mar 2014 14:48:42 -0400, Brooklyn1
> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 23 Mar 2014 12:30:19 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

>>>thank you for sharing a positive story. Ignore the curmudgeons. I
>>>think it is wonderful.

>>In the UK don't they call that an Allotment?

>I believe that an allotment is for individual use -- or at least for
>those that have rented that space. This article indicates that
>everyone in town is devoting space/work/supplies gratis, however
>small, to food production and the results are available to anyone who
>wants/needs it. The concept in the article is certainly more like a
>Victory Garden.
>In my opinion, it doesn't do to project a jaded attitude toward
>efforts like this. It's easy to sit back and declare BTDT. That's
>what leads to a general attitude of ennui. That's when we give over
>the care and keeping of our country to those that are out to take our
>freedoms and good living away from us. Here ends the sermon.

A good sermon though!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Onket.

> I buy a 100 iceberg lettuce seeds at the same price as 1 supermarket
> lettuce. I have to do an awful lot wrong to lose money on that deal.

That's like may herb garden. Bunches of herbs coast $1.50 or more. For
$20 I can buy a lot of plants and seeds that will keep me in fresh herbs
for the season.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jeßus" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 24 Mar 2014 08:21:57 +1100, John J > wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 23 Mar 2014 11:04:58 -0700, sf > wrote:

>>>Get back to me when you can figure out how to do that without watering
>>>with a hose and little to no summer rain.

>>Move?

> I suggest another planet, just to be sure.

Or Scotland? We haven't had a proper winter here although there as been
plenty elsewhere. I am fed up with dark cloud, rain and gales

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-03-24 12:40 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
..

> I dared to say that once, that growing vegetables isn't especially
> cheap. I could buy a lot of tomatoes for the amount I spend on
> soil/pots/raised bed lumber/etc etc. I don't have a cow, so I buy
> composted manure. It goes on. I do it because I get a kick out of
> picking cucumbers and peppers, whatever.

Gardening is not for everyone. You need the space for a garden and the
tools. If you are lucky enough to have a feed store or farmers coop
handy the seed is pretty cheap in bulk. The smaller the seed packages
the higher the cost per unit. Around here, tomato seedling in 6 packs
are about $2. That is not bad considering that tomatoes are now 50 cents
apiece or more, and tomatoes are so much better fresh off the vine.

> I probably do save a lot on herbs. Parsley, basil. rosemary, etc,
> all expensive to buy and grow easily all summer.

It costs about as much for a bundle of fresh herbs as it costs for a
package of seeds. I hate spending a buck and a half or more for a bunch
of herbs and get only one meal of it while the rest deteriorates. Fresh
rosemary gets used a lot. I can use most of the herbs right up to December.

It's nice to grab a tomato off the plant, slice it in half and throw it
on the BBQ topped with freshly picked basil.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 Mar 2014 12:56:02 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:
snip

>Gardening is not for everyone. You need the space for a garden and the
>tools. If you are lucky enough to have a feed store or farmers coop
>handy the seed is pretty cheap in bulk. The smaller the seed packages
>the higher the cost per unit. Around here, tomato seedling in 6 packs
>are about $2. That is not bad considering that tomatoes are now 50 cents
>apiece or more, and tomatoes are so much better fresh off the vine.

snip
That's only true if you are not interested in growing anything
different. the bulk seeds are old standards -- nothing wrong with
that.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On 3/23/14 2:47 PM, Goomba wrote:
>
>> Not terribly impressed with how they demonize supermarkets though. I
>> suspect they still do need a few things from the market now and then and
>> yet they're the bad guys? I'd say they're serving a purpose even if
>> their are now better alternatives for many (not all) of the things this
>> community is growing.

>Let me rephrase this- I think the supermarkets still serve a purpose
>even though many in the community can now get free, locally grown
>produce etc. To demonize them is to imply they never served any
>function or need and that's just not true.

I'm sure your major supermarket chains are the same as here, in that
they strongly influence and make and break locally commercially grown
produce by buying elsewhere (frequently overseas) or forcing down
wholesale prices, and even putting small competitors out of business.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 Mar 2014 12:56:02 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2014-03-24 12:40 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
>.
>>
>> I dared to say that once, that growing vegetables isn't especially
>> cheap. I could buy a lot of tomatoes for the amount I spend on
>> soil/pots/raised bed lumber/etc etc. I don't have a cow, so I buy
>> composted manure. It goes on. I do it because I get a kick out of
>> picking cucumbers and peppers, whatever.

>Gardening is not for everyone. You need the space for a garden and the
>tools. If you are lucky enough to have a feed store or farmers coop
>handy the seed is pretty cheap in bulk. The smaller the seed packages
>the higher the cost per unit. Around here, tomato seedling in 6 packs
>are about $2. That is not bad considering that tomatoes are now 50 cents
>apiece or more, and tomatoes are so much better fresh off the vine.
>

>> I probably do save a lot on herbs. Parsley, basil. rosemary, etc,
>> all expensive to buy and grow easily all summer.

>It costs about as much for a bundle of fresh herbs as it costs for a
>package of seeds.

I bought about 20 packets of veggie seeds today, 22¢ at Walmart,
packets say packed by Burpee. The Burpee seed packets were right
along side, were $1.79 each. Same size packets.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 24 Mar 2014 18:23:22 -0400, Brooklyn1
> wrote:
snip

>I bought about 20 packets of veggie seeds today, 22¢ at Walmart,
>packets say packed by Burpee. The Burpee seed packets were right
>along side, were $1.79 each. Same size packets.

I wouldn't have touched those. That is way, way too cheap for this
day and age. Something is wrong. I won't buy seed packets off one
of those racks anyway. Limited varsities and the racks stand out in
all direct sun, sometimes rain and snow.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"John J" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 24 Mar 2014 21:33:43 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

>>"John J" > wrote in message
>>news
>>> On Mon, 24 Mar 2014 21:20:18 -0000, "Ophelia"

>>> No, not personally

>>Give it time! If they have their way you won't be sowing any seeds of
>>your
>>own from previous years. Fight it whenever you see it!

> That's about hybrid seed isn't it? So far, all the seed I've saved has
> come up nicely.

Keep it to your own and you will be fine.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >
Janet Bostwick > writes:
>On Mon, 24 Mar 2014 18:23:22 -0400, Brooklyn1
> wrote:
>snip
>>
>>I bought about 20 packets of veggie seeds today, 22¢ at Walmart,
>>packets say packed by Burpee. The Burpee seed packets were right
>>along side, were $1.79 each. Same size packets.

>I wouldn't have touched those. That is way, way too cheap for this
>day and age. Something is wrong. I won't buy seed packets off one
>of those racks anyway. Limited varsities and the racks stand out in
>all direct sun, sometimes rain and snow.
>Janet US

Where do they put the racks of *paper* seed packets out in the rain
and snow?

--
Drew Lawson And I know there's more to the story
I know I need to see more