Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Crepe fillings

Like an idiot I did not d/l the message (19) on this topic. And now I
just bought the WP Crepe Maker.
I did try Nutella and Hershey's Almond. Both are very good, but I
don't always want something that sweet.
A thick chicken pot pie filling was really good though.

Stephen Bailey
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> Like an idiot I did not d/l the message (19) on this topic. And now I
> just bought the WP Crepe Maker.
> I did try Nutella and Hershey's Almond. Both are very good, but I
> don't always want something that sweet.
> A thick chicken pot pie filling was really good though.

I never make sweet crepes. Like you I like to use chicken and mushroom in
white sauce.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-03-20 12:16 AM, sf wrote:
d return it for a refund.

>> The lip around the cooking surface makes that thing useless as a crepe
>> maker.
>>

> I don't see why, have a lip like that or larger. I use a nonstick pan
> and say F it to a dedicated crepe pan.

I have a small steel pan that was supposedly a crepe pan. It is also
good for frying other things. In addition I have several non stick
pans, all of which are fine for cooking crepes.

I won't use the word finicky to describe crepe making this time, but it
is time consuming to have to make them one at a time, flip them, cook
them, stack them one at a time. I go for the production line and to them
3 at a time. I have an electric crepe maker too, but it is the least
helpful of the bunch.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-03-20 6:20 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> I never make sweet crepes. Like you I like to use chicken and mushroom
> in white sauce.

I don't make sweet crepes.... not crepes with sugar in the batter. I
make regular crepes and then can do what I like with them. Some may be
used for desserts. Some can be used for savory. One of my favourites is
not exactly sweet, and it can be a dessert or breakfast. Spoon some
yogurt onto a crepe, top with fruits of your juice, roll it up and
drizzle with honey.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/20/2014 6:20 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> > wrote in message
>> Like an idiot I did not d/l the message (19) on this topic. And now I
>> just bought the WP Crepe Maker.
>> I did try Nutella and Hershey's Almond. Both are very good, but I
>> don't always want something that sweet.
>> A thick chicken pot pie filling was really good though.

> I never make sweet crepes. Like you I like to use chicken and mushroom
> in white sauce.

I love crepes with a chicken-mushroom-cream sauce filling. No special
"crepe maker" required. All you need is a small non-stick skillet.
Prepare the batter (not sweet). Spoon a little batter into the lightly
greased hot pan. Swirl, turn, lift. Stack the crepes between sheets of
waxed paper. (Note: They freeze well.) A small amount of batter makes
a lot of crepes.

I haven't made crepes in a long time. I should do that again.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
news
> On 2014-03-20 6:20 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> I never make sweet crepes. Like you I like to use chicken and mushroom
>> in white sauce.
>>

> I don't make sweet crepes.... not crepes with sugar in the batter.

Ahh I've never heard of putting sugar in the batter! I mean I don't put
sweet stuff in/on them

> make regular crepes and then can do what I like with them. Some may be
> used for desserts. Some can be used for savory. One of my favourites is
> not exactly sweet, and it can be a dessert or breakfast. Spoon some
> yogurt onto a crepe, top with fruits of your juice, roll it up and drizzle
> with honey.

All sounds good

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 3/20/2014 6:20 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> > wrote in message
>>> Like an idiot I did not d/l the message (19) on this topic. And now I
>>> just bought the WP Crepe Maker.
>>> I did try Nutella and Hershey's Almond. Both are very good, but I
>>> don't always want something that sweet.
>>> A thick chicken pot pie filling was really good though.

>> I never make sweet crepes. Like you I like to use chicken and mushroom
>> in white sauce.
>>

> I love crepes with a chicken-mushroom-cream sauce filling. No special
> "crepe maker" required. All you need is a small non-stick skillet.
> Prepare the batter (not sweet). Spoon a little batter into the lightly
> greased hot pan. Swirl, turn, lift. Stack the crepes between sheets of
> waxed paper. (Note: They freeze well.) A small amount of batter makes a
> lot of crepes.

That is how I make mine. I hadn't really heard of a 'crepe maker' before
here, and then guess what, I saw one in the supermarket) I giggled when
I thought of the small skillet that I would use for mine) This was a
really big thing!!!

> I haven't made crepes in a long time. I should do that again.

Same here I have vague memories of making some and rolling them up (can't
remember what inside) but topping with a cheese sauce and browning in the
oven.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>> The lip around the cooking surface makes that thing useless as a crepe
>> maker.

> I don't see why, have a lip like that or larger. I use a nonstick pan
> and say F it to a dedicated crepe pan.

This thread is not about crepe pans -- it is about a dedicated crepe
maker, like this (mine): http://www.xhost.org/photos/crepes/Crepe.jpg

There's nothing wrong with using a standard or non-stick pan, although
non-stick pans, due to their uneven distribution of fats, yield a crepe
with a different surface texture that classicists may not like. Also,
when using a pan, the resulting crepes are usually much thicker than
those made using a rake on a dedicated crepe maker. This may or may not
suit your dish.

The lip is totally unnecessary on a crepe maker. While it prevents
grease from overflowing if you use the maker to cook other items, it
serves no useful purpose for making crepes.

Further, the lip is a substantial negative, because it make difficult or
impossible to use a standard crepe spatula to flip, manipulate, and fold
the crepe.

IMO, the OP's crepe maker, at half the price of the Tibos, has much less
than half the utility.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 20 Mar 2014 11:27:40 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> On 2014-03-20 12:16 AM, sf wrote:
> d return it for a refund.
> >>
> >> The lip around the cooking surface makes that thing useless as a crepe
> >> maker.
> >>

> > I don't see why, have a lip like that or larger. I use a nonstick pan
> > and say F it to a dedicated crepe pan.
> >

> I have a small steel pan that was supposedly a crepe pan. It is also
> good for frying other things. In addition I have several non stick
> pans, all of which are fine for cooking crepes.
>
> I won't use the word finicky to describe crepe making this time, but it
> is time consuming to have to make them one at a time, flip them, cook
> them, stack them one at a time. I go for the production line and to them
> 3 at a time. I have an electric crepe maker too, but it is the least
> helpful of the bunch.

I only make one batch of crepes at a time and don't mind using one
pan. I think it's fast. Pour the batter into the pan, swirl, turn,
done.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 20 Mar 2014 11:43:52 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> I love crepes with a chicken-mushroom-cream sauce filling. No special
> "crepe maker" required. All you need is a small non-stick skillet.
> Prepare the batter (not sweet). Spoon a little batter into the lightly
> greased hot pan. Swirl, turn, lift. Stack the crepes between sheets of
> waxed paper. (Note: They freeze well.) A small amount of batter makes
> a lot of crepes.
>
> I haven't made crepes in a long time. I should do that again.

I will freeze mine in groups of 4 - or in the amount I think I will
need at any one time, which is usually the entire batch. Crepes are
very sturdy, so I don't worry about anything tearing after they are
thawed.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" wrote:

>That is how I make mine.

I like these:
http://www.yummly.com/recipes/lobster-crepes

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-03-20 1:52 PM, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Mar 2014 11:27:40 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>> On 2014-03-20 12:16 AM, sf wrote:
>> d return it for a refund.

>>> I don't see why, have a lip like that or larger. I use a nonstick pan
>>> and say F it to a dedicated crepe pan.
>>>

>> I have a small steel pan that was supposedly a crepe pan. It is also
>> good for frying other things. In addition I have several non stick
>> pans, all of which are fine for cooking crepes.
>>
>> I won't use the word finicky to describe crepe making this time, but it
>> is time consuming to have to make them one at a time, flip them, cook
>> them, stack them one at a time. I go for the production line and to them
>> 3 at a time. I have an electric crepe maker too, but it is the least
>> helpful of the bunch.

> I only make one batch of crepes at a time and don't mind using one
> pan. I think it's fast. Pour the batter into the pan, swirl, turn,
> done.

20-30 times? I can cut the cooking time in half by using two pans.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 20 Mar 2014 15:37:50 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> On 2014-03-20 1:52 PM, sf wrote:
> >
> > I only make one batch of crepes at a time and don't mind using one
> > pan. I think it's fast. Pour the batter into the pan, swirl, turn,
> > done.
> >

> 20-30 times? I can cut the cooking time in half by using two pans.

My one recipe makes 12-15 crepes at the most.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 20 Mar 2014 15:37:50 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>
>> On 2014-03-20 1:52 PM, sf wrote:
>> >
>> > I only make one batch of crepes at a time and don't mind using one
>> > pan. I think it's fast. Pour the batter into the pan, swirl, turn,
>> > done.
>> >

>> 20-30 times? I can cut the cooking time in half by using two pans.

> My one recipe makes 12-15 crepes at the most.

When I used to make them I made around half a dozen just for that one meal.
We wouldn't eat enough to make a lot.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> When I used to make them I made around half a dozen just for that one meal.
> We wouldn't eat enough to make a lot.

The crepe recipe is the same as my pancake recipe (Betty Crocker).
Only difference is to "water them down" with twice the milk called for
in the recipe.

My stack of 9 pancakes is as high as maybe 4 regular cakey pancakes.
I like them thin. Very moist. Since mine are that thin, you can also
treat them like smaller crepes. My favorite is to take one, sprinkle
with sugar, squeeze some lemon juice, roll up and enjoy. Grape jam
filling is another decent one.

And as sf mentioned, you can freeze them, a meals worth at a time in a
tupperware. Microwave them back to hot later and they are just as good
as fresh made.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 21 Mar 2014 10:10:28 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> When I used to make them I made around half a dozen just for that one meal.
>> We wouldn't eat enough to make a lot.

>The crepe recipe is the same as my pancake recipe (Betty Crocker).
>Only difference is to "water them down" with twice the milk called for
>in the recipe.

Then yours would be crapes... crepes don't contain leavening (baking
powder).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-03-21 12:24 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Mar 2014 10:10:28 -0500, Gary > wrote:
>
>> Ophelia wrote:
>>>
>>> When I used to make them I made around half a dozen just for that one meal.
>>> We wouldn't eat enough to make a lot.

>> The crepe recipe is the same as my pancake recipe (Betty Crocker).
>> Only difference is to "water them down" with twice the milk called for
>> in the recipe.

> Then yours would be crapes... crepes don't contain leavening (baking
> powder).

I am going to play grammar cop and point out that you misspelled crap.
Crepe recipes tend to be richer than pancakes. Not only do they not use
leavening, they tend to have more egg and butter. They are also made
ahead of time and left to rest for a while.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Mar 2014 10:10:28 -0500, Gary > wrote:
>
> >Ophelia wrote:
> >>
> >> When I used to make them I made around half a dozen just for that one meal.
> >> We wouldn't eat enough to make a lot.

> >The crepe recipe is the same as my pancake recipe (Betty Crocker).
> >Only difference is to "water them down" with twice the milk called for
> >in the recipe.

> Then yours would be crapes... crepes don't contain leavening (baking
> powder).

True. Mine calls for baking soda (not powder). That's the only
difference though...very minor and insignificant, imo.

G.

Ps - How's your bowling arm?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, March 19, 2014 8:07:59 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> Like an idiot I did not d/l the message (19) on this topic. And now I
> just bought the WP Crepe Maker

I just snagged a copy of this at my local library's used book sale (for $.50, neener, neener :-) ). Old, and electric crepe makers barely get a mention, but lots of fun crepe-y stuff in it!

http://www.amazon.com/Crepe-Cookery-...=Crepe+Cookery

--
Silvar Beitel
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/21/14, 12:36 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

> Crepe recipes tend to be richer than pancakes. Not only do they not use
> leavening, they tend to have more egg and butter. They are also made
> ahead of time and left to rest for a while.

Hmmm. I use butter (actually, ghee) only for greasing the crepe maker.

My simple dessert crepe recipe:

1 cup ap flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg
1.25 cups milk

Sift flour and salt together.

(These steps can be performed in a blender or food processor.) Add the
egg and 1/3 of the milk; stir; beat well until smooth. Gradually blend
in remaining milk.

Transfer to jug. Let set for at least 30 minutes, or up to 12 hours.

Shake or stir before use.

For savory crepes, add an additional egg or two, according to your taste.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-03-21 4:27 PM, pltrgyst wrote:
> On 3/21/14, 12:36 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>
>> Crepe recipes tend to be richer than pancakes. Not only do they not use
>> leavening, they tend to have more egg and butter. They are also made
>> ahead of time and left to rest for a while.

> Hmmm. I use butter (actually, ghee) only for greasing the crepe maker.

I was going from memory, so I Googled crepe recipes and checked them.
With the exception of the recipe for Becel, they called for butter.

> My simple dessert crepe recipe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/19/14 8:07 PM, wrote:
> Like an idiot I did not d/l the message (19) on this topic. And now I
> just bought the WP Crepe Maker.
> I did try Nutella and Hershey's Almond. Both are very good, but I
> don't always want something that sweet.
> A thick chicken pot pie filling was really good though.
>
> Stephen Bailey

A couple recipes I picked up from a American women's function I went to
years ago while living in Germany when they held a cooking class all
about crepes-

Wuerzburg Crepes

Recipe By :Wuerzburg OWC
Serving Size : 5 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Desserts

8 ounces applesauce
1/4 cup peanut butter
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
10 cooked crepes
1 tablespoon butter
1/4 cup rum or other liqueur

In small mixing bowl combine applesauce and peanut butter thoroughly. In
another small mixing bowl combine powdered sugar and cinnamon.
Spoon 2 T. of the applesauce mixture and 1 T. of the sugar mixture in
center of each crepe. Set remaining sugar mixture aside.
Fold crepe bottom up, sides in, down for blintz shape. Chill till needed.
At serving time, melt butter in chafing dish or crepe pan. Arrange
crepes folded edges down in pan. Sprinkle crepes with remaining sugar
mixture.
Cook on low heat for about 1 minute. Pour rum over crepes and ignite
with long match. Gently slide pan back and forth over heat and spoon
sauce over crepes till flames die.
Place crepes on serving dishes and spoon hot sauce over and serve
immediately.
Quiche Lorraine Cups

Recipe By :Wuerzburg OWC Cooking Demo
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Appetizers Eggs

12 cooked crepes
4 slices bacon
1 cup grated Swiss cheese
2 tablespoons flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk

Line greased muffin pans or custard cups with cooked crepes. Cook bacon
until crisp, drain and crumble. Sprinkle in crepe shells. Top with
cheese. Mix flour, salt, eggs and milk. Pour over cheese. Bake in 350
degree oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until firm. Cool 5 minutes before
removing from pan. Serve hot.
Makes 12 crepes cups.