Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Clarissa Dickson Wright of Two Fat Ladies dies aged 66

On 3/17/2014 7:09 PM, Ubiquitous wrote:

> How will you remember Clarissa Dickson Wright? Have your say by leaving
> a tribute.

I have been using one of their pastry techniques for many years. For pie
crust and biscuits, use frozen butter and grate it on the large holes
of the box grater. The small size of the grated butter incorporates
well with the flour.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
eb.com...
> On 3/17/2014 7:09 PM, Ubiquitous wrote:
>
>> How will you remember Clarissa Dickson Wright? Have your say by leaving
>> a tribute.
>>

> I have been using one of their pastry techniques for many years. For pie
> crust and biscuits, use frozen butter and grate it on the large holes of
> the box grater. The small size of the grated butter incorporates well
> with the flour.

I really loved their shows

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
eb.com...
> On 3/17/2014 7:09 PM, Ubiquitous wrote:
>
>> How will you remember Clarissa Dickson Wright? Have your say by leaving
>> a tribute.
>>

> I have been using one of their pastry techniques for many years. For pie
> crust and biscuits, use frozen butter and grate it on the large holes of
> the box grater. The small size of the grated butter incorporates well
> with the flour.
>
> --
> Janet Wilder
> Way-the-heck-south Texas
> Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

I haven't made pastry since xmas but an article in Cooks Illustrated
intrigues me. They suggest using vodka instead of the small amount of water
to bind it.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> eb.com...
>> On 3/17/2014 7:09 PM, Ubiquitous wrote:
>>
>>> How will you remember Clarissa Dickson Wright? Have your say by leaving
>>> a tribute.
>>>

>> I have been using one of their pastry techniques for many years. For pie
>> crust and biscuits, use frozen butter and grate it on the large holes of
>> the box grater. The small size of the grated butter incorporates well
>> with the flour.

> I really loved their shows

Me too. I have all of their DVD's and never grow tired of them. I like the
backstories.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>>

>> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
>> eb.com...

>>> I have been using one of their pastry techniques for many years. For pie
>>> crust and biscuits, use frozen butter and grate it on the large holes
>>> of the box grater. The small size of the grated butter incorporates
>>> well with the flour.

>> I really loved their shows

> Me too. I have all of their DVD's and never grow tired of them. I like the
> backstories.

Yes, so down to earth and good solid recipes.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 18 Mar 2014 11:35:01 -0500, Janet Wilder >
wrote:

>On 3/17/2014 7:09 PM, Ubiquitous wrote:
>
>> How will you remember Clarissa Dickson Wright? Have your say by leaving
>> a tribute.
>>

>I have been using one of their pastry techniques for many years. For pie
>crust and biscuits, use frozen butter and grate it on the large holes
>of the box grater. The small size of the grated butter incorporates
>well with the flour.

I've just recently seen that demo'ed on TV. I think Melissa d'Arabian
Thanks for the reminder.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 18 Mar 2014 11:29:35 -0600, "graham" > wrote:

>"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
web.com...
>> On 3/17/2014 7:09 PM, Ubiquitous wrote:
>>
>>> How will you remember Clarissa Dickson Wright? Have your say by leaving
>>> a tribute.
>>>

>> I have been using one of their pastry techniques for many years. For pie
>> crust and biscuits, use frozen butter and grate it on the large holes of
>> the box grater. The small size of the grated butter incorporates well
>> with the flour.
>>
>> --
>> Janet Wilder
>> Way-the-heck-south Texas
>> Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
>>

>I haven't made pastry since xmas but an article in Cooks Illustrated
>intrigues me. They suggest using vodka instead of the small amount of water
>to bind it.
>Graham

Was it that the vodka didn't activate the gluten forming process? I
don't remember for sure.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 18 Mar 2014 11:29:35 -0600, "graham" > wrote:
>

>>"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
aweb.com...

>>> I have been using one of their pastry techniques for many years. For pie
>>> crust and biscuits, use frozen butter and grate it on the large holes
>>> of
>>> the box grater. The small size of the grated butter incorporates well
>>> with the flour.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Janet Wilder
>>> Way-the-heck-south Texas
>>> Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
>>>

>>I haven't made pastry since xmas but an article in Cooks Illustrated
>>intrigues me. They suggest using vodka instead of the small amount of
>>water
>>to bind it.
>>Graham
>>

> Was it that the vodka didn't activate the gluten forming process? I
> don't remember for sure.

Neither do I but it makes sense. I couldn't use it at xmas beacuse an AA
member loves an almond tart speciality of mine.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, March 18, 2014 2:14:57 PM UTC-5, Janet Bostwick wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Mar 2014 11:35:01 -0500, Janet Wilder >
> wrote:
>

> >I have been using one of their pastry techniques for many years. For pie
> >crust and biscuits, use frozen butter and grate it on the large holes
> >of the box grater. The small size of the grated butter incorporates
> >well with the flour.

> I've just recently seen that demo'ed on TV. I think Melissa d'Arabian
> Thanks for the reminder.
>
> Janet US

I saw someone recently take butter and add it to about 1/3 of their flour and whir it around in the food processor. Really fast and it cut the cold butter into pea size pieces.

Clarissa Dickson Wright of Two Fat Ladies dies aged 66 sf[_9_] General Cooking 2 18-03-2014 07:35 PM
Steven Wright Dimitri General Cooking 2 26-10-2011 12:26 AM
TN Ken Wright '99 Shea Vyd PN Ronin[_3_] Wine 4 10-09-2007 11:46 PM
TN - '98 Ken Wright Shea Vineyard PN Ronin Wine 6 31-01-2006 09:44 AM
David Wright's chili William Jennings Mexican Cooking 2 03-09-2004 01:34 PM