Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Stuff from the Publix Weekly Ad 3/13-3/19/2014

Just for fun. This is a sampling of what is on sale at the local Publix
this week with some of my off-the-cuff comments. :-D

From the bakery:

Ten (count 'em!) Crusty White Baguettes for $10.00

Hopefully this means you can buy one for a dollar. I can't imagine
anyone needing 10 baguettes, can you?

In the Seafood department:

Fresh Salmon, select cuts. $4.99/lb.
Skinless, boneless, farm raised

Fresh Salmon Fillets. $9.99/lb
Farm raised, never frozen

Hmmmm. Aren't fillets by definition also skinless and boneless? I
wonder what cuts are "select"?

Canned tuna:

Bumble Bee Tuna. 4 pack, 5 oz cans. $6.49

*Someone* recently claimed Bumble Bee canned tuna is dirt cheap.

Produce:

Tomatoes on the vine. $2.49/lb.
Greenhouse grown

Okay, this time of year, at least where I live, most tomatoes are
greenhouse grown. There are tomato fields just a few miles from where I
live. They certainly aren't ripe in the fields yet, probably not even
in Florida.

IMHO, "on the vine" is sort of silly. They cost more than tomatoes you
select individually. You're paying for stems!

Organic Mini Sweet Peppers. $2.99 for a 1-pint pkg.

Sweet peppers, mini or not, I would rather hand select, thank you.

Having said all that, there's a blurb in the weekly ad which states:

"Walmart® wants to match Publix ad prices. Think about it. They’ll match
these low prices— if you ask. Or you can just enjoy shopping at Publix."

Hmmmm, I thought Walmart was already supposed to be so much cheaper?

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/15/2014 12:28 PM, jmcquown wrote:

> Having said all that, there's a blurb in the weekly ad which states:
>
> "Walmart® wants to match Publix ad prices. Think about it. They’ll match
> these low prices— if you ask. Or you can just enjoy shopping at Publix."
>
> Hmmmm, I thought Walmart was already supposed to be so much cheaper?

WalMart will match the price of any grocery item based on what the
customer tells them. No ads needed to prove the price. That's policy
at the WalMart where my son works as a cashier. He's never (so far!)
had anyone try a hugely ridiculous price.

I lived in FL for almost 20 years and loved loved loved shopping at
Publix! In my early days there (1974) all Publix stores were laid out
exactly the same way, with the possible exception of the produce dept.
and the refrigerated stuff. All of the aisles were identical in layout
and there was always a huge directory of items high on one of the walls.
I miss Publix... )-:

--
DreadfulBitch

There is no love more sincere than the love of food.
....George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/17/2014 4:18 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Mar 2014 13:28:01 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Fresh Salmon, select cuts. $4.99/lb.
>> Skinless, boneless, farm raised
>>
>> Fresh Salmon Fillets. $9.99/lb
>> Farm raised, never frozen

> WTF is the difference between "select cuts" and fillets that could
> warrant twice the cost? Salmon comes in two cuts: fillets and steaks,
> neither one worth twice as much as the other. Something really tragic
> must have happened to the "select cuts".
>
> -sw

Kind of what I was wondering, Steve. They're right next to each other
in the ad. If I'd read the entire circular before dashing in to buy
corned beef & cabbage, I'd have stopped and looked at the seafood case
so I could see what the "select cuts" looked like.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/15/2014 7:28 PM, DreadfulBitch wrote:
> On 3/15/2014 12:28 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Having said all that, there's a blurb in the weekly ad which states:
>>
>> "Walmart® wants to match Publix ad prices. Think about it. They’ll match
>> these low prices— if you ask. Or you can just enjoy shopping at Publix."
>>
>> Hmmmm, I thought Walmart was already supposed to be so much cheaper?

> WalMart will match the price of any grocery item based on what the
> customer tells them. No ads needed to prove the price. That's policy
> at the WalMart where my son works as a cashier. He's never (so far!)
> had anyone try a hugely ridiculous price.

It's nice they'll match prices. Still, WalMart is on the other side of
town. Even if I was inclined to shop there the distance would put me off.

> I lived in FL for almost 20 years and loved loved loved shopping at
> Publix! In my early days there (1974) all Publix stores were laid out
> exactly the same way, with the possible exception of the produce dept.
> and the refrigerated stuff. All of the aisles were identical in layout
> and there was always a huge directory of items high on one of the walls.
> I miss Publix... )-:

Publix is a great store. Everyone who works there is so nice and
helpful. When I was there on Friday I had relatively few items in my
cart. The gal who bagged the groceries asked, rather hopefully, if I
wanted her to take them out to the car. It was a *gorgeous* day, about
70F and sunny. I didn't need any assistance but I knew she really
wanted to get outside for a few minutes so I said sure.

Jill