Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Beef broth/stock - help needed

I'm really comfortable working with chicken stock or ham bones for
making soup. Right now I have oodles of plain beef broth that I don't
know how to handle. The broth is totally unseasoned and defatted as I
am cooking chuck steaks, beef shank and the like to add to Baxter's
dinners.
I'd like to make soup, but I have no idea what kinds of things to do.
I did pull the Spanish Beef Soup recipe from Food Network and it looks
yummy, but I am shy too many ingredients right now. So, help, please?
Thanks
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick wrote:

>I'm really comfortable working with chicken stock or ham bones for
>making soup. Right now I have oodles of plain beef broth that I don't
>know how to handle. The broth is totally unseasoned and defatted as I
>am cooking chuck steaks, beef shank and the like to add to Baxter's
>dinners.
>I'd like to make soup, but I have no idea what kinds of things to do.
>I did pull the Spanish Beef Soup recipe from Food Network and it looks
>yummy, but I am shy too many ingredients right now. So, help, please?
>Thanks
>Janet US

Use to make any soup calling for beef stock; beef barley mushroom,
vegetable beef/minestrone, French onion, etc. So how many gallons is
"oodles"? I'd use it to make borscht.
With the stock you're already way ahead:
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/beef-and-beet-borscht/
http://easteuropeanfood.about.com/od...pe-Borshch.htm
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 12 Mar 2014 10:49:36 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> I'm really comfortable working with chicken stock or ham bones for
> making soup. Right now I have oodles of plain beef broth that I don't
> know how to handle. The broth is totally unseasoned and defatted as I
> am cooking chuck steaks, beef shank and the like to add to Baxter's
> dinners.
> I'd like to make soup, but I have no idea what kinds of things to do.
> I did pull the Spanish Beef Soup recipe from Food Network and it looks
> yummy, but I am shy too many ingredients right now. So, help, please?
> Thanks

I'd make "French" Onion Soup if I was in your predicament.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 12 Mar 2014 14:45:40 -0400, Brooklyn1
> wrote:

>Janet Bostwick wrote:
>>
>>I'm really comfortable working with chicken stock or ham bones for
>>making soup. Right now I have oodles of plain beef broth that I don't
>>know how to handle. The broth is totally unseasoned and defatted as I
>>am cooking chuck steaks, beef shank and the like to add to Baxter's
>>dinners.
>>I'd like to make soup, but I have no idea what kinds of things to do.
>>I did pull the Spanish Beef Soup recipe from Food Network and it looks
>>yummy, but I am shy too many ingredients right now. So, help, please?
>>Thanks
>>Janet US

>Use to make any soup calling for beef stock; beef barley mushroom,
>vegetable beef/minestrone, French onion, etc. So how many gallons is
>"oodles"? I'd use it to make borscht.
>With the stock you're already way ahead:
>http://allrecipes.com/recipe/beef-and-beet-borscht/
>http://easteuropeanfood.about.com/od...pe-Borshch.htm

I've got 5 of those 5# plastic containers that cottage cheese and sour
cream come in for commercial use. I only want to make a batch of soup
that will be eaten at most for 2 meals. I don't enjoy having lots in
the freezer. I actually enjoy puttering around and making soup. But
it does have to taste good. With the beef barley and the vegetable
beef I would need to have more meat, wouldn't I? I'd like to go with
what I have and make a sort of vegetarian soup (with beef broth)
Thanks for the borscht recipe. When I make that, it will have to be
for myself. My husband is in the dirt-chunks category with Barb.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 12 Mar 2014 11:50:47 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Wed, 12 Mar 2014 10:49:36 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:
>
>> I'm really comfortable working with chicken stock or ham bones for
>> making soup. Right now I have oodles of plain beef broth that I don't
>> know how to handle. The broth is totally unseasoned and defatted as I
>> am cooking chuck steaks, beef shank and the like to add to Baxter's
>> dinners.
>> I'd like to make soup, but I have no idea what kinds of things to do.
>> I did pull the Spanish Beef Soup recipe from Food Network and it looks
>> yummy, but I am shy too many ingredients right now. So, help, please?
>> Thanks

>I'd make "French" Onion Soup if I was in your predicament.

I hadn't thought of that. Thanks. Onions, I have a lot of those.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 03/12/2014 09:49 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> I'm really comfortable working with chicken stock or ham bones for
> making soup. Right now I have oodles of plain beef broth that I don't
> know how to handle. The broth is totally unseasoned and defatted as I
> am cooking chuck steaks, beef shank and the like to add to Baxter's
> dinners.
> I'd like to make soup, but I have no idea what kinds of things to do.
> I did pull the Spanish Beef Soup recipe from Food Network and it looks
> yummy, but I am shy too many ingredients right now. So, help, please?
> Thanks
> Janet US

Chances are very high that any beef-based soup will already call for
beef broth. If it only lists water, consider adding broth instead. Some
of my very favorite beef soups are Beef, Barley and Mushroom soup, Steak
Soup (with real leftover steak. This doesn't happen often!), Beef
Vegetable soup and Beef and Cabbage soup. Cholent could possibly
included. Nancy's Hungarian Short Ribs call for water. I don't see any
reason why you couldn't use your homemade broth, though I haven't
actually tried it. Another thought is to reduce the broth a bit and
season it for cold consommé or bouillon to sip. Just a few ideas. I
think you have a treasure there.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 12 Mar 2014 13:37:08 -0700, Whirled Peas >
wrote:

>On 03/12/2014 09:49 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>> I'm really comfortable working with chicken stock or ham bones for
>> making soup. Right now I have oodles of plain beef broth that I don't
>> know how to handle. The broth is totally unseasoned and defatted as I
>> am cooking chuck steaks, beef shank and the like to add to Baxter's
>> dinners.
>> I'd like to make soup, but I have no idea what kinds of things to do.
>> I did pull the Spanish Beef Soup recipe from Food Network and it looks
>> yummy, but I am shy too many ingredients right now. So, help, please?
>> Thanks
>> Janet US
>>

>Chances are very high that any beef-based soup will already call for
>beef broth. If it only lists water, consider adding broth instead. Some
>of my very favorite beef soups are Beef, Barley and Mushroom soup, Steak
>Soup (with real leftover steak. This doesn't happen often!), Beef
>Vegetable soup and Beef and Cabbage soup. Cholent could possibly
>included. Nancy's Hungarian Short Ribs call for water. I don't see any
>reason why you couldn't use your homemade broth, though I haven't
>actually tried it. Another thought is to reduce the broth a bit and
>season it for cold consommé or bouillon to sip. Just a few ideas. I
>think you have a treasure there.

I'm interested in the Beef and Cabbage soup. Could you post your
recipe, please? I checked the 'Net, but the recipes are quite
different one to another.
Thanks
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Wednesday, March 12, 2014 2:01:18 PM UTC-7, Janet Bostwick wrote:

> I'm interested in the Beef and Cabbage soup. Could you post your
>
> recipe, please? I checked the 'Net, but the recipes are quite
>
> different one to another.

Here's my Cabbage Patch soup we served in the restaurant. See if this fits your bill.

1 cup small red beans -- soaked overnight (or use kidney beans if you prefer)
1/2 large head of cabbage -- chopped
1 medium green pepper -- diced
1 medium onion -- chopped
4 cups tomato juice
1 28oz can diced tomato -- in juice
1 1/2 quarts beef stock
1 tablespoon chili powder -- more to taste
1 tablespoon garlic, chopped fine
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup parsley flakes
1/2 pound hamburger -- cooked, crumbled and well drained

1. Soak beans overnight in your big soup pot.

2 Add rest of ingredients to the beans. Add water as necessary to cover cabbage as it cooks down.
Cook till beans are just tender and not mushy and cabbage is tender.

3. Add hamburger about 30 minutes before soup is done.

This is really good with a big piece of cornbread.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 12 Mar 2014 15:14:34 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, March 12, 2014 2:01:18 PM UTC-7, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>>
>> I'm interested in the Beef and Cabbage soup. Could you post your
>>
>> recipe, please? I checked the 'Net, but the recipes are quite
>>
>> different one to another.

>Here's my Cabbage Patch soup we served in the restaurant. See if this fits your bill.
>

> 1 cup small red beans -- soaked overnight (or use kidney beans if you prefer)
> 1/2 large head of cabbage -- chopped
> 1 medium green pepper -- diced
> 1 medium onion -- chopped
> 4 cups tomato juice
> 1 28oz can diced tomato -- in juice
> 1 1/2 quarts beef stock
> 1 tablespoon chili powder -- more to taste
> 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped fine
> 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
> 1/4 cup parsley flakes
> 1/2 pound hamburger -- cooked, crumbled and well drained
>
>1. Soak beans overnight in your big soup pot.
>
>2 Add rest of ingredients to the beans. Add water as necessary to cover cabbage as it cooks down.
> Cook till beans are just tender and not mushy and cabbage is tender.
>
>3. Add hamburger about 30 minutes before soup is done.
>
>This is really good with a big piece of cornbread.

thanks for the recipe. I saw something similar on the 'Net. It's
good to have a recipe from someone you trust. No cornbread for me.
I'll have the torta rolls from the La Brea Bakery that I get at
Costco.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

In article >,
Janet Bostwick > wrote:

> I'm really comfortable working with chicken stock or ham bones for
> making soup. Right now I have oodles of plain beef broth that I don't
> know how to handle. The broth is totally unseasoned and defatted as I
> am cooking chuck steaks, beef shank and the like to add to Baxter's
> dinners.
> I'd like to make soup, but I have no idea what kinds of things to do.
> I did pull the Spanish Beef Soup recipe from Food Network and it looks
> yummy, but I am shy too many ingredients right now. So, help, please?
> Thanks
> Janet US

How about a good vegetable beef soup?

Vegetable Beef Soup with Macaroni
Ingredients:

2 qt. water or beef stock
1 lb. beef stew meat
1 beef soup bone, cut in half (butcher)
2 cups onion, chopped
1 cup carrots, sliced
1 28 oz. can Tomatoes, chopped
1/2 pkg. Frozen Cut Okra
1/2 pkg. Frozen Baby Lima Beans
1/4 lb. elbow or other small pasta
salt and pepper

Directions:

Simmer soup bones and beef pieces slowly until meat is very tender and
stock is rich. Remove bone; discard. Skim fat from stock. Remove meat to
plate; cover.

Add tomatoes (with juice), onions and carrots to stock. Simmer until
vegetables are tender. Add okra and lima beans. Add meat, in bite-size
pieces; season to taste with salt and pepper. If stock is not flavorful
enough, add a bit of beef base. Long, slow cooking is best.

Add pasta and cook until al dente. (If making multiple batches for
freezing, cook pasta separately and add to bowls; this will prevent it
getting squishy in the freezer).

Isaac

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 12 Mar 2014 22:03:34 -0700, isw > wrote:

>In article >,
> Janet Bostwick > wrote:
>
>> I'm really comfortable working with chicken stock or ham bones for
>> making soup. Right now I have oodles of plain beef broth that I don't
>> know how to handle. The broth is totally unseasoned and defatted as I
>> am cooking chuck steaks, beef shank and the like to add to Baxter's
>> dinners.
>> I'd like to make soup, but I have no idea what kinds of things to do.
>> I did pull the Spanish Beef Soup recipe from Food Network and it looks
>> yummy, but I am shy too many ingredients right now. So, help, please?
>> Thanks
>> Janet US

>How about a good vegetable beef soup?
>
>Vegetable Beef Soup with Macaroni
>Ingredients:
>
>2 qt. water or beef stock
>1 lb. beef stew meat
>1 beef soup bone, cut in half (butcher)
>2 cups onion, chopped
>1 cup carrots, sliced
>1 28 oz. can Tomatoes, chopped
>1/2 pkg. Frozen Cut Okra
>1/2 pkg. Frozen Baby Lima Beans
>1/4 lb. elbow or other small pasta
>salt and pepper
>
>Directions:
>
>Simmer soup bones and beef pieces slowly until meat is very tender and
>stock is rich. Remove bone; discard. Skim fat from stock. Remove meat to
>plate; cover.
>
>Add tomatoes (with juice), onions and carrots to stock. Simmer until
>vegetables are tender. Add okra and lima beans. Add meat, in bite-size
>pieces; season to taste with salt and pepper. If stock is not flavorful
>enough, add a bit of beef base. Long, slow cooking is best.
>
>Add pasta and cook until al dente. (If making multiple batches for
>freezing, cook pasta separately and add to bowls; this will prevent it
>getting squishy in the freezer).
>
>Isaac

That sounds really good. I've got everything except the lima beans. I
especially like lima beans, so I will wait until I have them. I'll
put them on my list immediately. I'm glad to have so many recipes to
try. Thanks Isaac
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 03/12/2014 02:01 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:

> I'm interested in the Beef and Cabbage soup. Could you post your
> recipe, please? I checked the 'Net, but the recipes are quite
> different one to another.
> Thanks
> Janet US

I use this one:

<a
href=http://www.food.com/recipe/lighthouse-point-yacht-and-racquet-club-beef-and-cabbage-soup-235692>Yacht
Club Beef and Cabbage Soup</a> at food.com.

I believe it was recommended here on r.f.c. some time ago, but I can't
find the reference in the Google archives right now.

Notice that it calls for water and bouillon cubes. I'd think you could
replace all the bouillon and half the water, at least, with your broth.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 13 Mar 2014 13:22:55 -0700, Whirled Peas >
wrote:

>On 03/12/2014 02:01 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>>
>> I'm interested in the Beef and Cabbage soup. Could you post your
>> recipe, please? I checked the 'Net, but the recipes are quite
>> different one to another.
>> Thanks
>> Janet US
>>

>I use this one:
>
><a
>href=http://www.food.com/recipe/lighthouse-point-yacht-and-racquet-club-beef-and-cabbage-soup-235692>Yacht
>Club Beef and Cabbage Soup</a> at food.com.
>
>I believe it was recommended here on r.f.c. some time ago, but I can't
>find the reference in the Google archives right now.
>
>Notice that it calls for water and bouillon cubes. I'd think you could
>replace all the bouillon and half the water, at least, with your broth.

thank you for looking that up for me.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/12/14 12:49 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:

> I'd like to make soup, but I have no idea what kinds of things to do.
> I did pull the Spanish Beef Soup recipe from Food Network and it looks
> yummy, but I am shy too many ingredients right now. So, help, please?
> Thanks
> Janet US

Perhaps a good use would be French Onion Soup.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 14 Mar 2014 06:47:57 -0400, Goomba >
wrote:

>On 3/12/14 12:49 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>
>> I'd like to make soup, but I have no idea what kinds of things to do.
>> I did pull the Spanish Beef Soup recipe from Food Network and it looks
>> yummy, but I am shy too many ingredients right now. So, help, please?
>> Thanks
>> Janet US
>>

>Perhaps a good use would be French Onion Soup.

Yes, plenty of opportunity for that as well.
Janet US