Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Corned Beef Brisket

Publix has it on sale this week for $3.79/lb. That's about the lowest
price I've seen in years. Last year right before (and even after) St.
Patrick's day it was still more than that per pound. Of course you have
to buy this one brand, Murphy & David's.

They are also offering Grobbel’s Lower Sodium Corned Beef Brisket at the
same price per pound. Low sodium corned beef brisket doesn't make sense
to me. <shrug>

I do love corned beef. This year I'm going to stock up so I can have it
year round.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 08 Mar 2014 15:17:24 -0500, jmcquown >
wrote:

>Publix has it on sale this week for $3.79/lb. That's about the lowest
>price I've seen in years. Last year right before (and even after) St.
>Patrick's day it was still more than that per pound. Of course you have
>to buy this one brand, Murphy & David's.
>
>They are also offering Grobbel’s Lower Sodium Corned Beef Brisket at the
>same price per pound. Low sodium corned beef brisket doesn't make sense
>to me. <shrug>
>
>I do love corned beef. This year I'm going to stock up so I can have it
>year round.
>
>Jill

BJ's regular price is 3.49

Stop & Shop regular price is 4.49 but is on sale for 2.99

It seems that not too many years ago you could get it for much less
than that. Along with cheap cabbage and potatoes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/8/2014 4:14 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On Sat, 08 Mar 2014 15:17:24 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> Publix has it on sale this week for $3.79/lb. That's about the lowest
>> price I've seen in years. Last year right before (and even after) St.
>> Patrick's day it was still more than that per pound. Of course you have
>> to buy this one brand, Murphy & David's.
>>
>> They are also offering Grobbel’s Lower Sodium Corned Beef Brisket at the
>> same price per pound. Low sodium corned beef brisket doesn't make sense
>> to me. <shrug>
>>
>> I do love corned beef. This year I'm going to stock up so I can have it
>> year round.
>>
>> Jill

> BJ's regular price is 3.49
>
> Stop & Shop regular price is 4.49 but is on sale for 2.99

$4.79/lb. or more is about what I'm used to.

> It seems that not too many years ago you could get it for much less
> than that. Along with cheap cabbage and potatoes.

Every year people here talk about the $2.99/lb. deals. Every year, I
sigh. Those sales just don't happen in this area. I don't remember
getting it for that price when I lived in west TN, either. Enjoy it!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, March 8, 2014 3:17:24 PM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:
> Publix has it on sale this week for $3.79/lb. That's about the lowest
>
> price I've seen in years. Last year right before (and even after) St.
>
> Patrick's day it was still more than that per pound. Of course you have
>
> to buy this one brand, Murphy & David's.
>

> They are also offering Grobbel's Lower Sodium Corned Beef Brisket at the
>
> same price per pound. Low sodium corned beef brisket doesn't make sense
>
> to me. <shrug>

Low sodium CB makes much sense to me. I'm an angry young black jewish male; I've been disallowed excess sodium by my rabbi. Too much sodium, and my foreskin starts to grow back. You???
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/8/2014 2:17 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> Publix has it on sale this week for $3.79/lb. That's about the lowest
> price I've seen in years. Last year right before (and even after) St.
> Patrick's day it was still more than that per pound. Of course you have
> to buy this one brand, Murphy & David's.
>
> They are also offering Grobbel’s Lower Sodium Corned Beef Brisket at the
> same price per pound. Low sodium corned beef brisket doesn't make sense
> to me. <shrug>
>
> I do love corned beef. This year I'm going to stock up so I can have it
> year round.
>
> Jill

I stock up this time of year. Throw it right into the freezer. I have
learned to make pretty decent pastrami from packaged corned beef on the
smoker.

We also like corned beef and cabbage.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/8/2014 7:40 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 3/8/2014 2:17 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> Publix has it on sale this week for $3.79/lb. That's about the lowest
>> price I've seen in years. Last year right before (and even after) St.
>> Patrick's day it was still more than that per pound. Of course you have
>> to buy this one brand, Murphy & David's.
>>
>> They are also offering Grobbel’s Lower Sodium Corned Beef Brisket at the
>> same price per pound. Low sodium corned beef brisket doesn't make sense
>> to me. <shrug>
>>
>> I do love corned beef. This year I'm going to stock up so I can have it
>> year round.
>>
>> Jill

> I stock up this time of year. Throw it right into the freezer. I have
> learned to make pretty decent pastrami from packaged corned beef on the
> smoker.
>
> We also like corned beef and cabbage.

I definitely will stock up because I love corned beef brisket. I also
love cabbage. The farm stands should be selling cabbage right about
now. Grilled cabbage is wonderful. If it will stop raining long enough
for me to grill. LOL The sun did come out today, which is nice.

I've yet to see these $2.99/lb. "deals" for corned beef people mention
around this time every year. Seems to me I even called WalMart last
year to ask about the price there. I was given quite the telephone
runaround just trying to get a price check. It was comical. I timed
it. I was on hold most of the time. People kept picking up and asking
what I wanted. HELLO?! It took over twenty minutes before I finally
got someone to tell me the price. And no, it wasn't any cheaper. Would
have cost more to drive there, too.

I like shopping at Publix. I can *always* get someone on the phone if I
have a question. When I was thinking about oxtails, rather than just
take a chance, I called first. I was immediately connected with a
butcher who said yes, they had them. He gave me the price per lb. That
sort of responsiveness is as important to me as saving a few pennies.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/9/2014 3:42 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sat, 08 Mar 2014 15:17:24 -0500, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> Publix has it on sale this week for $3.79/lb. That's about the lowest
>> price I've seen in years.

> It should be less than $3. $1.79-$2 on sale this year (market price
> for retail non-corned brisket is $2.18/lb for the last 7 months).
>
> -sw

Send me four @ $2/lb. I'll even pay for shipping.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> On 3/9/2014 3:42 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> > On Sat, 08 Mar 2014 15:17:24 -0500, jmcquown wrote:
> >
> >> Publix has it on sale this week for $3.79/lb. That's about the lowest
> >> price I've seen in years.

> > It should be less than $3. $1.79-$2 on sale this year (market price
> > for retail non-corned brisket is $2.18/lb for the last 7 months).
> >
> > -sw
> >

> Send me four @ $2/lb. I'll even pay for shipping.

$3.99 a pound at my store this morning. Yeah right...homey don't play
that.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/9/2014 11:32 AM, Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:

>>> It should be less than $3. $1.79-$2 on sale this year (market price
>>> for retail non-corned brisket is $2.18/lb for the last 7 months).
>>>
>>> -sw
>>>

>> Send me four @ $2/lb. I'll even pay for shipping.

> $3.99 a pound at my store this morning. Yeah right...homey don't play
> that.
>
> G.

I guess we just live in the wrong places, Gary. Even after St.
Patrick's Day, when you'd expect they might have a glut, it doesn't go
on sale for the prices some people talk about. Same thing with turkeys
(not that I buy turkeys).

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 09 Mar 2014 12:13:40 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> I guess we just live in the wrong places, Gary. Even after St.
> Patrick's Day, when you'd expect they might have a glut, it doesn't go
> on sale for the prices some people talk about.

If corned beef went on sale last year, it was never a cost leader
price. I thought it remained high. I just added corned beef to my
grocery list, so I'll remember to check it when I'm at the grocery
store.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 09 Mar 2014 12:13:40 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:
snip

>I guess we just live in the wrong places, Gary. Even after St.
>Patrick's Day, when you'd expect they might have a glut, it doesn't go
>on sale for the prices some people talk about. Same thing with turkeys
>(not that I buy turkeys).
>
>Jill

I noticed yesterday when I was at Cash and Carry that they had corned
beef on special for $2.39 or something like that. The only problem
is you have to buy an entire brisket. At that store, that's between
15-20 pounds. I've done that with an uncorned brisket, but I don't
think we would eat that much corned beef in a year.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> Publix has it on sale this week for $3.79/lb. That's about the lowest
> price I've seen in years. Last year right before (and even after) St.
> Patrick's day it was still more than that per pound. Of course you have
> to buy this one brand, Murphy & David's.
>
> They are also offering Grobbel’s Lower Sodium Corned Beef Brisket at the
> same price per pound. Low sodium corned beef brisket doesn't make sense
> to me. <shrug>
>
> I do love corned beef. This year I'm going to stock up so I can have it
> year round.
>
> Jill

I was looking at natural corned beef today. The first one I picked up
was $29! That cured me of the desire for now. It seems to me that I
usually decide to pick up one later, thinking that it'd be marked down,
but that never seems to work.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." wrote:

>I was looking at natural corned beef today. The first one I picked up
>was $29! That cured me of the desire for now. It seems to me that I
>usually decide to pick up one later, thinking that it'd be marked down,
>but that never seems to work.

What is "natural" corned beef... is that like "natural" breasts, no
silicone?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/15/2014 11:37 PM, Jean B. wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>> Publix has it on sale this week for $3.79/lb. That's about the lowest
>> price I've seen in years. Last year right before (and even after) St.
>> Patrick's day it was still more than that per pound.

(snipped self)

>> I do love corned beef. This year I'm going to stock up so I can have it
>> year round.
>>
>> Jill

> I was looking at natural corned beef today. The first one I picked up
> was $29! That cured me of the desire for now. It seems to me that I
> usually decide to pick up one later, thinking that it'd be marked down,
> but that never seems to work.
>
> --
> Jean B.

The one I got was $13, 3-1/2 lbs. Of course it will shrink but still
plenty for me what with the cabbage and potatoes. And leftovers for the
freezer. Like you, I don't find them marked down after St. Patrick's
Day. I do keep hoping.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Mar 2014 11:02:12 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> On 3/15/2014 11:37 PM, Jean B. wrote:
> > jmcquown wrote:
> >> Publix has it on sale this week for $3.79/lb. That's about the lowest
> >> price I've seen in years. Last year right before (and even after) St.
> >> Patrick's day it was still more than that per pound.

> (snipped self)
> >>
> >> I do love corned beef. This year I'm going to stock up so I can have it
> >> year round.
> >>
> >> Jill

> > I was looking at natural corned beef today. The first one I picked up
> > was $29! That cured me of the desire for now. It seems to me that I
> > usually decide to pick up one later, thinking that it'd be marked down,
> > but that never seems to work.
> >
> > --
> > Jean B.

> The one I got was $13, 3-1/2 lbs. Of course it will shrink but still
> plenty for me what with the cabbage and potatoes. And leftovers for the
> freezer. Like you, I don't find them marked down after St. Patrick's
> Day. I do keep hoping.

Corned beef (not "natural") and cabbage are still low here - not
expecting to see any deep discounts after the 17th. I did get one
bunch of asparagus when it was 99¢ lb, but it has gone up to $3.99.
At this rate, it will be sky high just in time for Easter. Bracing
myself for the price of a leg of lamb. Maybe I should put aside $5 a
week from now until Easter so I won't go into sticker shock.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 16 Mar 2014 11:02:12 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:

>> (snipped self)

>> > I was looking at natural corned beef today. The first one I picked up
>> > was $29! That cured me of the desire for now. It seems to me that I
>> > usually decide to pick up one later, thinking that it'd be marked down,
>> > but that never seems to work.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Jean B.

>> The one I got was $13, 3-1/2 lbs. Of course it will shrink but still
>> plenty for me what with the cabbage and potatoes. And leftovers for the
>> freezer. Like you, I don't find them marked down after St. Patrick's
>> Day. I do keep hoping.
>>

> Corned beef (not "natural") and cabbage are still low here - not
> expecting to see any deep discounts after the 17th. I did get one
> bunch of asparagus when it was 99¢ lb, but it has gone up to $3.99.
> At this rate, it will be sky high just in time for Easter. Bracing
> myself for the price of a leg of lamb. Maybe I should put aside $5 a
> week from now until Easter so I won't go into sticker shock.

Yes, I imagine lamb will be through the roof. DH doesn't like lamb so I
usually buy a boneless leg from Costco, and freeze the leftovers for later.
I've found that the lamb from Costco is quite good.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Mar 2014 11:00:36 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Sun, 16 Mar 2014 11:02:12 -0400, jmcquown >
> > wrote:

> >> (snipped self)

> >> The one I got was $13, 3-1/2 lbs. Of course it will shrink but still
> >> plenty for me what with the cabbage and potatoes. And leftovers for the
> >> freezer. Like you, I don't find them marked down after St. Patrick's
> >> Day. I do keep hoping.
> >>

> > Corned beef (not "natural") and cabbage are still low here - not
> > expecting to see any deep discounts after the 17th. I did get one
> > bunch of asparagus when it was 99¢ lb, but it has gone up to $3.99.
> > At this rate, it will be sky high just in time for Easter. Bracing
> > myself for the price of a leg of lamb. Maybe I should put aside $5 a
> > week from now until Easter so I won't go into sticker shock.

> Yes, I imagine lamb will be through the roof. DH doesn't like lamb so I
> usually buy a boneless leg from Costco, and freeze the leftovers for later.
> I've found that the lamb from Costco is quite good.

Costco has Australian lamb, which I hate. I'd buy it if it was New
Zealand lamb, but there's something about the flavor of Australian
that is just plain wrong (they are probably too old when they are
slaughtered). I prefer American lamb and will buy it from Lucky's
when the time comes.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/16/2014 12:49 PM, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Mar 2014 11:02:12 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:

>> (snipped self)

>>> I was looking at natural corned beef today. The first one I picked up
>>> was $29! That cured me of the desire for now. It seems to me that I
>>> usually decide to pick up one later, thinking that it'd be marked down,
>>> but that never seems to work.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Jean B.

>> The one I got was $13, 3-1/2 lbs. Of course it will shrink but still
>> plenty for me what with the cabbage and potatoes. And leftovers for the
>> freezer. Like you, I don't find them marked down after St. Patrick's
>> Day. I do keep hoping.
>>

> Corned beef (not "natural") and cabbage are still low here - not
> expecting to see any deep discounts after the 17th. I did get one
> bunch of asparagus when it was 99¢ lb, but it has gone up to $3.99.

Asparagus was on "sale" last week for $2.99/lb, I don't remember what
the price was before that but obviously higher. I'd kill for 99¢ lb.
asparagus!

> At this rate, it will be sky high just in time for Easter. Bracing
> myself for the price of a leg of lamb. Maybe I should put aside $5 a
> week from now until Easter so I won't go into sticker shock.

I've never bought a leg of lamb so I wouldn't know what to expect in
terms of price. But sure, I'd say you'd better start setting aside your
pin money.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

>On 3/16/2014 12:49 PM, sf wrote:
>> On Sun, 16 Mar 2014 11:02:12 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>>> (snipped self)

>>> The one I got was $13, 3-1/2 lbs. Of course it will shrink but still
>>> plenty for me what with the cabbage and potatoes. And leftovers for the
>>> freezer. Like you, I don't find them marked down after St. Patrick's
>>> Day. I do keep hoping.
>>>

>> Corned beef (not "natural") and cabbage are still low here - not
>> expecting to see any deep discounts after the 17th. I did get one
>> bunch of asparagus when it was 99¢ lb, but it has gone up to $3.99.

>Asparagus was on "sale" last week for $2.99/lb, I don't remember what the
>price was before that but obviously higher. I'd kill for 99¢ lb.
>asparagus!

Kroger has it for 99ȼ starting 3.17.14.

http://krogercincinnati.mywebgrocer....814/Weekly/2/7

Robert

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:
> "Jean B." wrote:
> >
> > I was looking at natural corned beef today. The first one I picked up
> > was $29! That cured me of the desire for now. It seems to me that I
> > usually decide to pick up one later, thinking that it'd be marked down,
> > but that never seems to work.

> What is "natural" corned beef... is that like "natural" breasts, no
> silicone?

No preservatives. You wish!
--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> The one I got was $13, 3-1/2 lbs. Of course it will shrink but still
> plenty for me what with the cabbage and potatoes. And leftovers for the
> freezer. Like you, I don't find them marked down after St. Patrick's
> Day. I do keep hoping.
>
> Jill

I guess we will just have to win the lottery. I LOVE corned beef!
--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Mar 2014 11:00:36 -0700, >
> wrote:
>

> > > wrote in message

> lowest

> after) St.

> picked up

> down,

> for the

> Patrick's
> >>>

> >> Corned beef (not "natural") and cabbage are still low here - not
> >> expecting to see any deep discounts after the 17th. I did get one
> >> bunch of asparagus when it was 99¢ lb, but it has gone up to $3.99.
> >> At this rate, it will be sky high just in time for Easter. Bracing
> >> myself for the price of a leg of lamb. Maybe I should put aside $5 a
> >> week from now until Easter so I won't go into sticker shock.

> > Yes, I imagine lamb will be through the roof. DH doesn't like lamb so I
> > usually buy a boneless leg from Costco, and freeze the leftovers for

> later.
> > I've found that the lamb from Costco is quite good.
> >

> Costco has Australian lamb, which I hate. I'd buy it if it was New
> Zealand lamb, but there's something about the flavor of Australian
> that is just plain wrong (they are probably too old when they are
> slaughtered). I prefer American lamb and will buy it from Lucky's
> when the time comes.

Ah! That's a good tip for me. I want lamby lamb.... But now I am
thinking of the little lambs who gambol on a nearby hill. And of the
farmstand below that sells their own lamb.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/16/2014 8:36 PM, Jean B. wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>> The one I got was $13, 3-1/2 lbs. Of course it will shrink but still
>> plenty for me what with the cabbage and potatoes. And leftovers for the
>> freezer. Like you, I don't find them marked down after St. Patrick's
>> Day. I do keep hoping.
>>
>> Jill

> I guess we will just have to win the lottery. I LOVE corned beef!
> --
> Jean B.

I had to sign up for a "card" (I hate those things) but Food Lion (which
is across the street from Publix and a somewhat dingy store) has corned
beef brisket for $2.99/lb! I'll be going to get some more for the
freezer tomorrow. If it looks good.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Mar 2014 18:34:55 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> I've never bought a leg of lamb so I wouldn't know what to expect in
> terms of price. But sure, I'd say you'd better start setting aside your
> pin money.

Thank you, I think I will. I always have lamb for Easter, but didn't
do it last year because the price was sky high - so I'll plan ahead
this year and relieve some of the pain of paying for it.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Mar 2014 21:22:15 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> I had to sign up for a "card" (I hate those things) but Food Lion (which
> is across the street from Publix and a somewhat dingy store) has corned
> beef brisket for $2.99/lb! I'll be going to get some more for the
> freezer tomorrow. If it looks good.

YAY!

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 3/16/2014 8:36 PM, Jean B. wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>> The one I got was $13, 3-1/2 lbs. Of course it will shrink but still
>>> plenty for me what with the cabbage and potatoes. And leftovers for the
>>> freezer. Like you, I don't find them marked down after St. Patrick's
>>> Day. I do keep hoping.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> I guess we will just have to win the lottery. I LOVE corned beef!
>> --
>> Jean B.

> I had to sign up for a "card" (I hate those things) but Food Lion (which
> is across the street from Publix and a somewhat dingy store) has corned
> beef brisket for $2.99/lb! I'll be going to get some more for the freezer
> tomorrow. If it looks good.

Please describe the 'card'? Is it the same thing I see when people speak of
being 'carded' when they buy alcohol?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/17/2014 6:00 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

>>> I guess we will just have to win the lottery. I LOVE corned beef!
>>> --
>>> Jean B.

>> I had to sign up for a "card" (I hate those things) but Food Lion (which
>> is across the street from Publix and a somewhat dingy store) has corned
>> beef brisket for $2.99/lb! I'll be going to get some more for the
>> freezer
>> tomorrow. If it looks good.

> Please describe the 'card'? Is it the same thing I see when people
> speak of being 'carded' when they buy alcohol?

No, it's a card associated with the store and if you have one you get
the lower sales price. I think it's ridiculous to make people use a
card to get those prices. But it also allows them to track what you
buy. Also unnecessary since the cash registers track that info anyway.
They won't get much info from my purchases since I don't plan to shop
there regularly.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 17 Mar 2014 10:00:49 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> Please describe the 'card'?

She's talking about a "loyalty" card.
<http://business.time.com/2013/07/11/a-disloyalty-movement-supermarkets-and-customers-drop-loyalty-card-programs/>

> Is it the same thing I see when people speak of
> being 'carded' when they buy alcohol?

No. "Carded" just means you have to show your ID card.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/17/2014 10:35 AM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Mar 2014 10:00:49 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

>> Please describe the 'card'?

> She's talking about a "loyalty" card.
> <http://business.time.com/2013/07/11/a-disloyalty-movement-supermarkets-and-customers-drop-loyalty-card-programs/>
>
>> Is it the same thing I see when people speak of
>> being 'carded' when they buy alcohol?

> No. "Carded" just means you have to show your ID card.

Also called "proofing"; proof of legal age.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 17 Mar 2014 10:00:49 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

>> Please describe the 'card'?

> She's talking about a "loyalty" card.
> <http://business.time.com/2013/07/11/a-disloyalty-movement-supermarkets-and-customers-drop-loyalty-card-programs/>
>
>> Is it the same thing I see when people speak of
>> being 'carded' when they buy alcohol?

> No. "Carded" just means you have to show your ID card.

Ahh understood thanks.
--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 3/17/2014 10:35 AM, sf wrote:
>> On Mon, 17 Mar 2014 10:00:49 -0000, "Ophelia"
>> > wrote:
>>

>>> Please describe the 'card'?

>> She's talking about a "loyalty" card.
>> <http://business.time.com/2013/07/11/a-disloyalty-movement-supermarkets-and-customers-drop-loyalty-card-programs/>
>>
>>> Is it the same thing I see when people speak of
>>> being 'carded' when they buy alcohol?

>> No. "Carded" just means you have to show your ID card.
>>

> Also called "proofing"; proof of legal age.

Yes we have that here too!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 17 Mar 2014 09:51:20 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 3/17/2014 6:00 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> I had to sign up for a "card" (I hate those things) but Food Lion (which
>>> is across the street from Publix and a somewhat dingy store) has corned
>>> beef brisket for $2.99/lb! I'll be going to get some more for the
>>> freezer
>>> tomorrow. If it looks good.

>> Please describe the 'card'? Is it the same thing I see when people
>> speak of being 'carded' when they buy alcohol?
>>

>No, it's a card associated with the store and if you have one you get
>the lower sales price. I think it's ridiculous to make people use a
>card to get those prices. But it also allows them to track what you
>buy. Also unnecessary since the cash registers track that info anyway.
> They won't get much info from my purchases since I don't plan to shop
>there regularly.
>
>Jill

We live in a town with a population of about 5,000 counting the
adjoining county population.

We shop primarily at one local grocery store. We sometimes go to the
other store and we do shop at the curb market, the meat market, the
Mexican stores, the "Country" store and farmers' markets in season. At
our regular store my latest tape says that we have saved $160.39 so
far this year. For one thing we stocked up on coffee that is a deal
at BOGO.

Our regular store sends me an email every Sunday morning listing
things that we buy that are on sale this week. This is in addition to
the weekly flyer that comes out on Sunday.

Once or twice a month we go 80 miles round trip to Winston Salem for
Costco, Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Fresh Market and other types of
stores depending on what we need or want.

A Publix is coming to Winston and I feel certain we will be going
there frequently to see what they have. My SIL took us to the one in
West Palm Beach, FL. We were blown away. And yes, if they offer
cards we will get one.

--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 17 Mar 2014 15:26:44 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> > On 3/17/2014 10:35 AM, sf wrote:
> >> On Mon, 17 Mar 2014 10:00:49 -0000, "Ophelia"

> >> She's talking about a "loyalty" card.
> >> <http://business.time.com/2013/07/11/a-disloyalty-movement-supermarkets-and-customers-drop-loyalty-card-programs/>

> >> No. "Carded" just means you have to show your ID card.
> >>

> > Also called "proofing"; proof of legal age.

> Yes we have that here too!

Must be an East Coast thing. I've never heard anyone say it out
here... in fact this is the first I've heard it, period.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
news
> On Mon, 17 Mar 2014 15:26:44 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:

>> > Also called "proofing"; proof of legal age.

>> Yes we have that here too!

> Must be an East Coast thing. I've never heard anyone say it out
> here... in fact this is the first I've heard it, period.

Ours just get asked for id to prove they are over 18.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/17/2014 11:33 AM, The Cook wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Mar 2014 09:51:20 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:

>>> Please describe the 'card'? Is it the same thing I see when people
>>> speak of being 'carded' when they buy alcohol?
>>>

>> No, it's a card associated with the store and if you have one you get
>> the lower sales price. I think it's ridiculous to make people use a
>> card to get those prices. But it also allows them to track what you
>> buy. Also unnecessary since the cash registers track that info anyway.
>> They won't get much info from my purchases since I don't plan to shop
>> there regularly.
>>
>> Jill

(snippety)

> A Publix is coming to Winston and I feel certain we will be going
> there frequently to see what they have. My SIL took us to the one in
> West Palm Beach, FL. We were blown away. And yes, if they offer
> cards we will get one.

Publix doesn't offer or require a card. I do like the store a lot.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 3/17/2014 6:00 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> I had to sign up for a "card" (I hate those things) but Food Lion (which
>>> is across the street from Publix and a somewhat dingy store) has corned
>>> beef brisket for $2.99/lb! I'll be going to get some more for the
>>> freezer
>>> tomorrow. If it looks good.

>> Please describe the 'card'? Is it the same thing I see when people
>> speak of being 'carded' when they buy alcohol?
>>

> No, it's a card associated with the store and if you have one you get the
> lower sales price. I think it's ridiculous to make people use a card to
> get those prices. But it also allows them to track what you buy. Also
> unnecessary since the cash registers track that info anyway. They won't
> get much info from my purchases since I don't plan to shop there
> regularly.
>
> Jill

Except the cash registers have no way of knowing who you are if you pay
cash. Not so with the cards.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 17 Mar 2014 12:42:40 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

> Publix doesn't offer or require a card. I do like the store a lot.

Locally, Lucky has a card but it's only to collect points for gas.
When an item goes on sale, everyone gets the sale price. We don't use
the gas brand they are partnered with so I don't bother with the card
or even keying in my telephone number.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/17/2014 1:10 PM, Cheri wrote:

>>> Please describe the 'card'? Is it the same thing I see when people
>>> speak of being 'carded' when they buy alcohol?
>>>

>> No, it's a card associated with the store and if you have one you get
>> the lower sales price. I think it's ridiculous to make people use a
>> card to get those prices. But it also allows them to track what you
>> buy. Also unnecessary since the cash registers track that info
>> anyway. They won't get much info from my purchases since I don't plan
>> to shop there regularly.
>>
>> Jill

> Except the cash registers have no way of knowing who you are if you pay
> cash. Not so with the cards.
>
> Cheri

True, but I don't pay cash for groceries. I rarely carry more than $20
in cash at any given time. Reason being, if my purse is stolen I can
cancel the debit/credit cards. You can't cancel cash.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message

> True, but I don't pay cash for groceries. I rarely carry more than $20 in
> cash at any given time. Reason being, if my purse is stolen I can cancel
> the debit/credit cards. You can't cancel cash.
>
> Jill

I do for the majority of grocery shopping. I don't seem to spend as much
when I pay cash as opposed to using my Visa Rewards Card which I use for
everything else. I only ever lost my purse once when I was young, and it had
2 dollars in it. Whoever found it returned the wallet by dropping it in a
mailbox, so everything else was there. That was way back when, I had no
credit cards at all, and Master Charge was a novelty that few people had.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 17 Mar 2014 16:37:01 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> news
> > On Mon, 17 Mar 2014 15:26:44 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > > wrote:

> >> Yes we have that here too!

> > Must be an East Coast thing. I've never heard anyone say it out
> > here... in fact this is the first I've heard it, period.

> Ours just get asked for id to prove they are over 18.

I meant I'd never heard the term "proofing" before.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.