Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default 9 ways to use a meat pounder

From Food 52 http://food52.com/blog/9903-9-ways-t...a-meat-pounder

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Good Memories.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Wednesday, March 5, 2014 12:25:35 PM UTC-8, sf wrote:
> From Food 52 http://food52.com/blog/9903-9-ways-t...a-meat-pounder

mine looks like this. Never thought about using for some of those applications though.

http://www.amazon.com/Sur-La-Table-P.../dp/B005GQWO66
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 05 Mar 2014 12:25:35 -0800, sf > wrote:

>From Food 52 http://food52.com/blog/9903-9-ways-t...a-meat-pounder

Some good ideas there, however, I use a 9-inch skillet for a meat
pounder when needed. and this to tenderize. http://tinyurl.com/qgp8odc
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-03-05, ImStillMags > wrote:

> mine looks like this.

Mine looks like this:

http://www.extremehomeworkout.com/106800096.html

What was the real name of a meat pounder? It got bandied about on rfc
many yrs ago, but I forget the exact term.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/5/2014 4:18 PM, notbob wrote:
> On 2014-03-05, ImStillMags > wrote:
>
>> mine looks like this.

> Mine looks like this:
>
> http://www.extremehomeworkout.com/106800096.html
>
> What was the real name of a meat pounder? It got bandied about on rfc
> many yrs ago, but I forget the exact term.

Batte carne?

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 05 Mar 2014 14:00:16 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> On Wed, 05 Mar 2014 12:25:35 -0800, sf > wrote:
>
> >From Food 52 http://food52.com/blog/9903-9-ways-t...a-meat-pounder

> Some good ideas there, however, I use a 9-inch skillet for a meat
> pounder when needed. and this to tenderize. http://tinyurl.com/qgp8odc

One of these days, I'll get one of those gadgets just to have it...
but in all honesty I don't buy meat that needs tenderizing.

My meat pounder looks like this
http://galleryplus.ebayimg.com/ws/we.../1000x1000.jpg
that's two sides of the one disk. Unscrew the handle and flip the
disk to go from rough to smooth, but I've only used the smooth side to
pound chicken.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-03-05, Nancy Young > wrote:

> Batte carne?

Nope. All one word. Even wiki doesn't list it. Perhaps someone who
is brave enough to venture into gobble groups can find it.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/5/2014 3:25 PM, sf wrote:
> From Food 52 http://food52.com/blog/9903-9-ways-t...a-meat-pounder

Never saw one, never owned one. Don't need one.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-03-05, jmcquown > wrote:

> Never saw one, never owned one. Don't need one.

I mostly use it for smashing ginger slices. Cut off a 1/4 inch slice
o' ginger, trim off peel, *SMASH*, chop, toss in pan/pot/wok.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 05 Mar 2014 14:30:01 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Wed, 05 Mar 2014 14:00:16 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 05 Mar 2014 12:25:35 -0800, sf > wrote:
>>
>> >From Food 52 http://food52.com/blog/9903-9-ways-t...a-meat-pounder

>> Some good ideas there, however, I use a 9-inch skillet for a meat
>> pounder when needed. and this to tenderize. http://tinyurl.com/qgp8odc

>One of these days, I'll get one of those gadgets just to have it...
>but in all honesty I don't buy meat that needs tenderizing.
>
>My meat pounder looks like this
>http://galleryplus.ebayimg.com/ws/we.../1000x1000.jpg
>that's two sides of the one disk. Unscrew the handle and flip the
>disk to go from rough to smooth, but I've only used the smooth side to
>pound chicken.

I don't think the pork chops or chicken from Costco need tenderizing,
but a little run through with the knives and let sit with some
seasoning, seems to make some tasty, juicy meat -- that happens to be
tender. I do use it on tougher cuts of beef steak because I use them
for sandwiches, Phillys, fajitas etc. I just don't buy regular steaks
because neither one of us eats that much meat.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 03/05/2014 01:18 PM, notbob wrote:
> On 2014-03-05, ImStillMags > wrote:
>
>> mine looks like this.

> Mine looks like this:
>
> http://www.extremehomeworkout.com/106800096.html
>
> What was the real name of a meat pounder? It got bandied about on rfc
> many yrs ago, but I forget the exact term.
>
> nb

I've heard it called a "meat mallet". Works for me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick wrote:

>On Wed, 05 Mar 2014 14:30:01 -0800, sf > wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 05 Mar 2014 14:00:16 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

>>> Some good ideas there, however, I use a 9-inch skillet for a meat
>>> pounder when needed. and this to tenderize. http://tinyurl.com/qgp8odc

>>One of these days, I'll get one of those gadgets just to have it...
>>but in all honesty I don't buy meat that needs tenderizing.
>>
>>My meat pounder looks like this
>>http://galleryplus.ebayimg.com/ws/we.../1000x1000.jpg
>>that's two sides of the one disk. Unscrew the handle and flip the
>>disk to go from rough to smooth, but I've only used the smooth side to
>>pound chicken.

>I don't think the pork chops or chicken from Costco need tenderizing,
>but a little run through with the knives and let sit with some
>seasoning, seems to make some tasty, juicy meat -- that happens to be
>tender. I do use it on tougher cuts of beef steak because I use them
>for sandwiches, Phillys, fajitas etc. I just don't buy regular steaks
>because neither one of us eats that much meat.
>Janet US

Pounding any meat ruins it... breaks the cells and lets the moisture
out... cooks dry and tough. For thin meat learn to slice cutlets, for
thicker cuts tenderize with a cuber. A trick I learned for
tenderizing top round for London broil is to with a dinner fork in
each hand punch lots of holes over the entire surfce, both sides...
then dry rub or marinate, the seasoning penetrates for better
flavor... the fork tines don't rupture the cells, they go between.
Toss your meat mallets in the trash or use them for doorstops.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Wednesday, March 5, 2014 1:18:09 PM UTC-8, notbob wrote:

> What was the real name of a meat pounder? It got bandied about on rfc
>
> many yrs ago, but I forget the exact term.

Are you thinking of a Jaccard?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-03-06, ImStillMags > wrote:

> Are you thinking of a Jaccard?

I think that's a brand name.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/5/2014 10:52 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:

> I don't think the pork chops or chicken from Costco need tenderizing,
> but a little run through with the knives and let sit with some
> seasoning, seems to make some tasty, juicy meat -- that happens to be
> tender. I do use it on tougher cuts of beef steak because I use them
> for sandwiches, Phillys, fajitas etc. I just don't buy regular steaks
> because neither one of us eats that much meat.
> Janet US

Tenderize with this
http://www.jaccard.com/Original-Supe...nife_p_10.html

Use the pounder for picata.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 06 Mar 2014 11:29:45 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 3/5/2014 10:52 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>
>> I don't think the pork chops or chicken from Costco need tenderizing,
>> but a little run through with the knives and let sit with some
>> seasoning, seems to make some tasty, juicy meat -- that happens to be
>> tender. I do use it on tougher cuts of beef steak because I use them
>> for sandwiches, Phillys, fajitas etc. I just don't buy regular steaks
>> because neither one of us eats that much meat.
>> Janet US
>>

>Tenderize with this
>http://www.jaccard.com/Original-Supe...nife_p_10.html
>
>Use the pounder for picata.

yup, that's what I have except mine is a Deni. The skillet is used
to flatten stuff for picata.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 6 Mar 2014 06:43:27 -0800 (PST), ImStillMags
> wrote:

> On Wednesday, March 5, 2014 1:18:09 PM UTC-8, notbob wrote:
>

> > What was the real name of a meat pounder? It got bandied about on rfc
> >
> > many yrs ago, but I forget the exact term.
> >

> Are you thinking of a Jaccard?

Jaccard is doodad Janet B has. Meat pounders are called mallets.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>Janet Bostwick wrote:
>
>> I don't think the pork chops or chicken from Costco need tenderizing,
>> but a little run through with the knives and let sit with some
>> seasoning, seems to make some tasty, juicy meat -- that happens to be
>> tender. I do use it on tougher cuts of beef steak because I use them
>> for sandwiches, Phillys, fajitas etc. I just don't buy regular steaks
>> because neither one of us eats that much meat.

>Tenderize with this
>http://www.jaccard.com/Original-Supe...nife_p_10.html

The jaccard is a variation on a cuber, does the same thing but slower,
with more effort, and costs less. The jaccard or cuber doesn't make
the meat thinner.

>Use the pounder for picata.

For piccata use a sharp knife to slice cutlets... pounding meat ruins
it. Don't you go to those specialty butcher shops... a good Italian
butcher shop will charge like $20/lb for veal, were you to buy a veal
roast and told the butcher you intended to hack it up into slabs and
pound each thin they'd cry. A real butcher slices veal cutlets to
order, cut in advance they dry. Veal cutlets are sliced with the
grain or on the bias, same with pork or chicken breasts. It's very
easy to slice cutlets almost paper thin (I have described the process
here a few times) but people are still pounding their meat, oy.
Scallopini is sliced a bit thicker (3/16") than cutlets for piccata
(1/8"), but neither should be pounded. If you can fillet a flounder
you can slice cutlets.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I've used my mallet to act as a make-weight over a plate over something I want to keep flat in a skillet.

I've also used it to hammer a knife thru a something really tough, like a head of cabbage, when I don't want any fingers NEAR the blade.

Mine isn't round tho - it's shaped like a hammer and has a tenderizer on one end of the head, flat on the other.

I figure I'll try to grab it if I'm ever cornered by an assailant in that part of the kitchen - it lives in a counter caddy. Do I need a permit? It sure ain't concealed. "Blunt, heavy object," as the police reports go.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 7 Mar 2014 07:57:19 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
> wrote:

> I've used my mallet to act as a make-weight over a plate over something I want to keep flat in a skillet.
>
> I've also used it to hammer a knife thru a something really tough, like a head of cabbage, when I don't want any fingers NEAR the blade.
>
> Mine isn't round tho - it's shaped like a hammer and has a tenderizer on one end of the head, flat on the other.
>
> I figure I'll try to grab it if I'm ever cornered by an assailant in that part of the kitchen - it lives in a counter caddy. Do I need a permit? It sure ain't concealed. "Blunt, heavy object," as the police reports go.

Mine could easily be used as a deadly object, but I used it on ginger
last night. I like it for that use! I'll still use my microplane to
grate ginger, but it works well to smash both frozen (thawed) and
fresh ginger and subsequently chop it. Juice goes flying all over the
place with frozen and thawed... but that's the worst I can say.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, March 5, 2014 1:18:09 PM UTC-8, notbob wrote:

> What was the real name of a meat pounder? It got bandied about on rfc
> many yrs ago, but I forget the exact term.

Tenderizer.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Wednesday, March 5, 2014 1:18:09 PM UTC-8, notbob wrote:
>
>> What was the real name of a meat pounder? It got bandied about on rfc
>> many yrs ago, but I forget the exact term.
>>

> Tenderizer.

I got a Victor EasyChef. I was worried about hollow tines and how I could
get them clean, so I got this one which has blades.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Victor-easyC.../dp/B009UDS7JY

Or did you mean the hammer type?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, March 7, 2014 12:08:03 PM UTC-8, Ophelia wrote:
> > wrote in message

> > On Wednesday, March 5, 2014 1:18:09 PM UTC-8, notbob wrote:

> >> What was the real name of a meat pounder? It got bandied about on rfc
> >> many yrs ago, but I forget the exact term.

> > Tenderizer.

> I got a Victor EasyChef. I was worried about hollow tines and how I could
> get them clean, so I got this one which has blades.
>

> http://www.amazon.co.uk/Victor-easyC.../dp/B009UDS7JY
>

> Or did you mean the hammer type?

The hammer with the pyramid side, we called a "tenderizer." Beating, say,
a round steak with it, would make it a little easier to eat.

Does cutting through the tough fibres, as your tenderizer does, really tenderize the meat?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Friday, March 7, 2014 12:08:03 PM UTC-8, Ophelia wrote:
>> > wrote in message

>> > Tenderizer.

>> I got a Victor EasyChef. I was worried about hollow tines and how I
>> could
>> get them clean, so I got this one which has blades.
>>

>> http://www.amazon.co.uk/Victor-easyC.../dp/B009UDS7JY
>>

>> Or did you mean the hammer type?
>>

> The hammer with the pyramid side, we called a "tenderizer." Beating, say,
> a round steak with it, would make it a little easier to eat.
>
> Does cutting through the tough fibres, as your tenderizer does, really
> tenderize the meat?

Sure seems to It also doesn't smash the meat around which I prefer.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, March 7, 2014 12:27:17 PM UTC-5, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 7 Mar 2014 07:57:19 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
>
> > wrote:
>

> > I've used my mallet to act as a make-weight over a plate over something I want to keep flat in a skillet.

> > I've also used it to hammer a knife thru a something really tough, like a head of cabbage, when I don't want any fingers NEAR the blade.

> > Mine isn't round tho - it's shaped like a hammer and has a tenderizer on one end of the head, flat on the other.

> > I figure I'll try to grab it if I'm ever cornered by an assailant in that part of the kitchen - it lives in a counter caddy. Do I need a permit? It sure ain't concealed. "Blunt, heavy object," as the police reports go.

> Mine could easily be used as a deadly object, but I used it on ginger
>
> last night. I like it for that use! I'll still use my microplane to
>
> grate ginger, but it works well to smash both frozen (thawed) and
>
> fresh ginger and subsequently chop it. Juice goes flying all over the
>
> place with frozen and thawed... but that's the worst I can say.
>

> --
>

> Good Food.
>
> Good Friends.
>
> Good Memories.

I used it recently to separate a chicken. I could get my chef's knife about midway tween thigh and body - used mallet on edge of knife to whack my way thru.

The mallet tenderizer side is also useful if I have time and energy to make braciole.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, March 11, 2014 7:54:39 PM UTC-4, Kalmia wrote:
> On Friday, March 7, 2014 12:27:17 PM UTC-5, sf wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 7 Mar 2014 07:57:19 -0800 (PST), Kalmia

> > > wrote:

> > > I've used my mallet to act as a make-weight over a plate over something I want to keep flat in a skillet.

> > > I've also used it to hammer a knife thru a something really tough, like a head of cabbage, when I don't want any fingers NEAR the blade.

> > > Mine isn't round tho - it's shaped like a hammer and has a tenderizer on one end of the head, flat on the other.

> > > I figure I'll try to grab it if I'm ever cornered by an assailant in that part of the kitchen - it lives in a counter caddy. Do I need a permit? It sure ain't concealed. "Blunt, heavy object," as the police reports go.

> > Mine could easily be used as a deadly object, but I used it on ginger

> > last night. I like it for that use! I'll still use my microplane to

> > grate ginger, but it works well to smash both frozen (thawed) and

> > fresh ginger and subsequently chop it. Juice goes flying all over the

> > place with frozen and thawed... but that's the worst I can say.

Put it in a baggie first to avoid the splatter?
Tell me about freezing ginger. DIY or buy it that way?
I just let mine float in cheapo wine and fish it out as needed. I do peel it first, tho.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/20/2014 1:34 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:

>>> You're speaking my language! Do you do the egg inside?

>> No. Neither do I put a hardcooked egg in meatloaf, unless it's for company and I remember to cook the egg ahead of time.

> A hard cooked egg in the meat loaf would have me refusing any. I
> don't know why, but the pictures and thought of that really turns me
> off. Who eats a hot, re-cooked hard boiled egg anyway?
> Janet US

That might be me. I make a half dozen hard cooked eggs and then reheat
one for my breakfast during the week. Along with the leftover bacon or
sausage from the weekend breakfast. Toast is made fresh though.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/...ese-and-pickle

> that looks really pretty. It would have to be a cold egg for me.

I like the looks of it. Where's the damn recipe?

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2014-03-20, Janet Bostwick > wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 20 Mar 2014 13:56:55 -0700 (PDT),

>>>The Scots, apparently.

https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/...ese-and-pickle

>> that looks really pretty. It would have to be a cold egg for me.

> I like the looks of it. Where's the damn recipe?

Jamie Oliver recipe:

Ingredients

10 large free-range eggs, 2 beaten
800 g quality sausage meat
1 small bunch fresh chives, finely chopped
1 small bunch fresh parsley, leaves picked and finely chopped
1 whole nutmeg
1 tablespoon English mustard
sea salt
freshly ground black pepper
plain flour, for dusting
150 g good-quality white breadcrumbs
2 litres vegetable oil
3 tablespoons vegetable or corn oil

Method

Often, the best way to get quality sausage meat is to buy some really lovely
sausages, slit them open, then squeeze out the meat. I like my Scotch eggs a
little runny in the middle, but if you like a harder boiled centre, simply
boil them for an extra couple of minutes at the start. You want the pork
cooked through, the outside golden and crispy and the inside hot and runny.
That's when you know you've got yourself a good Scotch egg.

Put the first 8 eggs into a pan of cold water and bring to the boil. Boil
for 3 to 4 minutes, then transfer to a bowl of cold water. Once cooled,
carefully peel them.

Put the sausage meat into another bowl with the herbs, a good grating of
nutmeg, the mustard and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Give it all a good
mix together then divide into 8 balls.

Have 3 plates ready - one with a small handful of flour, one with the
beaten eggs and a third with the breadcrumbs. To make the Scotch eggs, start
by flouring your hands. In the palm of one hand, flatten one of the sausage
balls into an oval-shaped pattie. Roll a peeled egg in flour, then pop it in
the middle of the pattie. Gently shape the meat evenly around the egg,
moulding it with your hands.

Roll the meat-wrapped egg in the flour, shake off any excess, then dip into
the beaten egg, followed by the breadcrumbs. Roll in the egg and breadcrumbs
again for a really good coating.

Heat the oil in a deep pan or deep fat fryer to about 150ºC/300ºF. If you
have a cooking thermometer it's a good idea to use it. Otherwise, test if
the oil is hot enough by adding a piece of potato and leaving it for about a
minute – if it sizzles and browns, it's ready. Carefully lower the eggs into
the pan and cook for about 4 minutes, turning them every so often, until
golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper. (If you're
worried about the meat being under-cooked, deep-fry the scotch eggs until
they're golden and crispy, then pop them in a hot oven for a couple of
minutes.)

Cool the eggs slightly, then arrange them on board with a good piece of
Scottish Cheddar, some pickle and a few pickled onions. Heaven.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/20/2014 11:34 AM, notbob wrote:
> On 2014-03-20, Janet Bostwick > wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 20 Mar 2014 13:56:55 -0700 (PDT),

>>> The Scots, apparently.

https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/...ese-and-pickle

>> that looks really pretty. It would have to be a cold egg for me.

> I like the looks of it. Where's the damn recipe?
>
> nb

Here you go:

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/e...ese-and-pickle
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> On Thu, 20 Mar 2014 13:56:55 -0700 (PDT),

> wrote:
>
> >On Thursday, March 20, 2014 10:34:06 AM UTC-7, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> >snip
> >> A hard cooked egg in the meat loaf would have me refusing any. I
> >> don't know why, but the pictures and thought of that really turns me
> >> off. Who eats a hot, re-cooked hard boiled egg anyway?

> >The Scots, apparently.

https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/...ese-and-pickle

> that looks really pretty. It would have to be a cold egg for me.
> Janet US

Scotch eggs are eaten cold. Some people also put a hardboiled egg in a
pork pie (also, eaten cold). Both delicious.

Janet UK
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 21 Mar 2014 14:25:08 -0000, Janet > wrote:

>In article >,
says...

snip

>> >https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/...ese-and-pickle

>> that looks really pretty. It would have to be a cold egg for me.
>> Janet US

> Scotch eggs are eaten cold. Some people also put a hardboiled egg in a
>pork pie (also, eaten cold). Both delicious.
>
> Janet UK

O.k., that would be fine. I actually like eating cooked things cold.
Are the Scotch eggs hard to make? Or is there a trick to keeping the
whole thing together for/during cooking?
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

That Rachael Ray egg in a meatloaf looked pretty but was lame.
Worthless ingredient, imo.
http://www.rachaelray.com/recipe.php?recipe_id=4262

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> On Fri, 21 Mar 2014 14:25:08 -0000, Janet > wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> says...

> snip

https://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/...ese-and-pickle

> >> that looks really pretty. It would have to be a cold egg for me.
> >> Janet US

> > Scotch eggs are eaten cold. Some people also put a hardboiled egg in a
> >pork pie (also, eaten cold). Both delicious.
> >
> > Janet UK

> O.k., that would be fine. I actually like eating cooked things cold.
> Are the Scotch eggs hard to make?

No, easy peasy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMSi8HcE58o
..