Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What exactly is 'home made'?

generally speaking, to me,
homemade is when I know what [ingredients] I'm eating.

Well, ok,
we can't always know what we're eating;
if I make cookies, and throw in some Chocolate Chips,
who knows exactly what those are made of...etc

marc
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2014-02-28 23:08:00 +0000, gtr said:

> On 2014-02-28 22:04:44 +0000, sf said:
>
>> On Fri, 28 Feb 2014 13:52:06 -0800, gtr > wrote:
>>
>>> Honestly, after hearing a number of people talking about mixing up a
>>> gallon of their home-made sauce and freezing it in quarts or whatever I
>>> seriously considered it. First I went looking for canned tomatoes,
>>> then began calculating costs, the amount of time needed to make it and
>>> suddenly a 2-buck jar of straight-up marinara began to be as easily
>>> selected a convenience as a loaf of French bread.

>> I know! They're making things taste more and more like home made
>> these days, so if you're lucky enough to find something you like that
>> has a list of ingredients you approve of or will be able to "live
>> with", then I say go for the convenience and expend your effort on the
>> rest of the meal... or take it easy for once - whatever attitude works
>> for you at the moment.

> Along those lines we've been buying laterally across brands. The wife
> really doesn't like those dressing with too much corn-starch or
> whatever it is they add to completely muck up the taste.
>
> She read a recipe for a quick spahetti sauce from Mark Bittman, and it
> did taste fabulous with little more than a can of marzaon tomatoes and
> a few significant fresh herbs. Yeah, it's better than a jar of
> marinara, and didn't take as long to make as "from scratch". So that's
> a serious alternative we may pursue.
>
> Right now we're eliminating unsatisfactory labels, but it is hard to
> keep track of them. I like the Newman sauches but I'm not spending 6-7
> bucks on a jar of tomato sauce. $2-3 is really all it takes for a base
> to work with.

Actually I find it wasn't Mark Bittman, but by Marcella Hazan "with
minor adjustments by Mark Bittman". I'm reminded that it was really
excellent and very easy. Easy relative to cooking down a deep and
complex marinara on your own. This one is neither deep or complex in
flavor, but bright and fresh and alive.

Anywhere here it is, and it's worth the effort. Link to Article:
http://tinyurl.com/lojke3n

*---===---

Tomato Sauce With Onion and Butter
Recipe by Marcella Hazan, with minor adjustments from Mark Bittman.

TOTAL TIME: About 1 hour

INGREDIENTS:
2 pounds fresh ripe tomatoes, blanched as described below*, or 2 cups
canned imported Italian tomatoes, cut up, with their juice
5 tablespoons butter
1 medium onion, peeled and cut in half
Salt
PREPARATION:
1. Put either the prepared fresh tomatoes or the canned ones in a
medium saucepan, add the butter, onion and salt and cook uncovered at a
very slow but steady simmer for about 45 minutes, or until it is
thickened to your liking and the fat floats free from the tomato.

2. Stir from time to time, mashing up large pieces of tomato with the
back of a wooden spoon. Taste and correct for salt. Discard the onion
before tossing with pasta.

YIELD: 6 servings (enough for 1 1/2 pounds pasta)

NOTE* To blanch fresh tomatoes: Drop the tomatoes in boiling water for
about a minute. Drain; as soon as they are cool enough to handle, skin
them, cut the core out and roughly chop.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gtr" > wrote in message news:2014030114575887798-xxx@yyyzzz...

> Actually I find it wasn't Mark Bittman, but by Marcella Hazan "with
> minor adjustments by Mark Bittman". I'm reminded that it was really
> excellent and very easy. Easy relative to cooking down a deep and
> complex marinara on your own. This one is neither deep or complex in
> flavor, but bright and fresh and alive.
>
> Anywhere here it is, and it's worth the effort. Link to Article:
> http://tinyurl.com/lojke3n
>
> ---===---
>
> Tomato Sauce With Onion and Butter
> Recipe by Marcella Hazan, with minor adjustments from Mark Bittman.
>
> TOTAL TIME: About 1 hour
>
> INGREDIENTS:
> 2 pounds fresh ripe tomatoes, blanched as described below*, or 2 cups
> canned imported Italian tomatoes, cut up, with their juice
> 5 tablespoons butter
> 1 medium onion, peeled and cut in half
> Salt
> PREPARATION:
> 1. Put either the prepared fresh tomatoes or the canned ones in a
> medium saucepan, add the butter, onion and salt and cook uncovered at a
> very slow but steady simmer for about 45 minutes, or until it is
> thickened to your liking and the fat floats free from the tomato.
>
> 2. Stir from time to time, mashing up large pieces of tomato with the
> back of a wooden spoon. Taste and correct for salt. Discard the onion
> before tossing with pasta.
>
> YIELD: 6 servings (enough for 1 1/2 pounds pasta)
>
> NOTE* To blanch fresh tomatoes: Drop the tomatoes in boiling water for
> about a minute. Drain; as soon as they are cool enough to handle, skin
> them, cut the core out and roughly chop.

Thanks very much! I've saved that

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> Others will make the sauce from scratch.....note that jarred or canned
> tomatoes are preserved foods which IMO count as home cooking. I also
> consider dried pasta as a valid component to home cooking.
>
> At any rate.... there is a line in there somewhere.

I bought dried lima beans, a ham shank, carrots and cabbage and made
this tonight.
<http://tinypic.com/r/29y1mzb/8>
My wife liked it OK but said she preferred pinto beans and minus
carrots and cabbage. Yes, the carrots were done and the cabbage was
added five minutes before the photograph. I like my cabbage rare to
start. The lima beans were perfect.
I "think" that's home cooking.
Someday, I'll post the ham and beans that she really likes with the ham
shank and canned pintos. Pfffft. It'll be an ugly photo representing
pretty tasty food.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2014-03-02 06:32:54 +0000, Leonard Blaisdell said:

> In article >, Dave Smith
> > wrote:
>

>> Others will make the sauce from scratch.....note that jarred or canned
>> tomatoes are preserved foods which IMO count as home cooking. I also
>> consider dried pasta as a valid component to home cooking.
>>
>> At any rate.... there is a line in there somewhere.

> I bought dried lima beans, a ham shank, carrots and cabbage and made
> this tonight.
> <http://tinypic.com/r/29y1mzb/8>
> My wife liked it OK but said she preferred pinto beans and minus
> carrots and cabbage. Yes, the carrots were done and the cabbage was
> added five minutes before the photograph. I like my cabbage rare to
> start. The lima beans were perfect.
> I "think" that's home cooking.
> Someday, I'll post the ham and beans that she really likes with the ham
> shank and canned pintos. Pfffft. It'll be an ugly photo representing
> pretty tasty food.

I looked at that and thought it was strange and unappetizing but I
couldn't figure out why. Then it occured to me that I'm use to seeing
food in a pile like that with specs of some kind of herbs, or at least
pepper on it. Not comment on the contents--just the oddity that I
couldn't quite place.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 1 Mar 2014 23:34:54 -0800, gtr > wrote:

> On 2014-03-02 06:32:54 +0000, Leonard Blaisdell said:
>

> >> At any rate.... there is a line in there somewhere.

> > I bought dried lima beans, a ham shank, carrots and cabbage and made
> > this tonight.
> > <http://tinypic.com/r/29y1mzb/8>

<snip>

> I looked at that and thought it was strange and unappetizing but I
> couldn't figure out why. Then it occured to me that I'm use to seeing
> food in a pile like that with specs of some kind of herbs, or at least
> pepper on it. Not comment on the contents--just the oddity that I
> couldn't quite place.

What I saw looked more like a stew to me. Wasn't it in a pot on the
stove... or are you talking about something other than what's in the
link above?

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2014-03-02 12:35:21 +0000, sf said:

>>> I bought dried lima beans, a ham shank, carrots and cabbage and made
>>> this tonight.
>>> <http://tinypic.com/r/29y1mzb/8>

> <snip>
>>
>> I looked at that and thought it was strange and unappetizing but I
>> couldn't figure out why. Then it occured to me that I'm use to seeing
>> food in a pile like that with specs of some kind of herbs, or at least
>> pepper on it. [No] comment on the contents--just the oddity that I
>> couldn't quite place.

> What I saw looked more like a stew to me. Wasn't it in a pot on the
> stove... or are you talking about something other than what's in the
> link above?

Just the link; yeah I see there seems to be a clear broth I didn't see
at first, which would make it more stew than "pile".

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-03-02 10:17 AM, gtr wrote:
> On 2014-03-02 12:35:21 +0000, sf said:

>> <snip>
>>>
>>> I looked at that and thought it was strange and unappetizing but I
>>> couldn't figure out why. Then it occured to me that I'm use to seeing
>>> food in a pile like that with specs of some kind of herbs, or at least
>>> pepper on it. [No] comment on the contents--just the oddity that I
>>> couldn't quite place.

>> What I saw looked more like a stew to me. Wasn't it in a pot on the
>> stove... or are you talking about something other than what's in the
>> link above?

> Just the link; yeah I see there seems to be a clear broth I didn't see
> at first, which would make it more stew than "pile".

It looks more like a soup to me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> > > I bought dried lima beans, a ham shank, carrots and cabbage and made
> > > this tonight.
> > > <http://tinypic.com/r/29y1mzb/8>

> <snip>
> >
> > I looked at that and thought it was strange and unappetizing but I
> > couldn't figure out why. Then it occured to me that I'm use to seeing
> > food in a pile like that with specs of some kind of herbs, or at least
> > pepper on it. Not comment on the contents--just the oddity that I
> > couldn't quite place.

> What I saw looked more like a stew to me. Wasn't it in a pot on the
> stove... or are you talking about something other than what's in the
> link above?

That looks to me like something that needs to simmer with a lid for
many hours.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article <2014030123345478470-xxx@yyyzzz>, gtr > wrote:

> I looked at that and thought it was strange and unappetizing but I
> couldn't figure out why. Then it occured to me that I'm use to seeing
> food in a pile like that with specs of some kind of herbs, or at least
> pepper on it. Not comment on the contents--just the oddity that I
> couldn't quite place.

After reading your posting and those below, you are all correct. It was
just awful. I don't remember when I put the ipecac and cod liver oil in
it, but I must have. I fed ninety percent of it to the garbage
disposal. Yuck!
I bomb big time once in a while. It's a wonder that one didn't blow up
the house.

leo

Home made pickles Paul M. Cook General Cooking 9 22-08-2009 08:21 PM
Authentic Home-made lagringapoblana Mexican Cooking 0 08-08-2009 03:58 PM
Home-made Proof Box? Tapper Baking 27 05-04-2005 06:53 PM
Home Made Pop? Gregor Winemaking 11 06-02-2005 03:47 AM
Home Made Soy Yogurt ? Hip Mama Vegetarian cooking 0 29-02-2004 11:58 PM