Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default have you made a homemade bouillon you've liked? Recipe plz....

not too salty, please.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Feb 2014 16:40:49 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
> wrote:

>not too salty, please.

Since you are asking for a recipe, you are clearly not asking about
bouillon cubes (salty, compressed, flavored squares you dissolve in
water. Bouillon is simply broth. I don't have a recipe for this as
it is something that I just do. For instance, take a chicken, put it
in cold water to cover the bird with some celery, onion and carrots.
The veggies are to flavor the broth and will be strained out later.
Add some salt, pepper, perhaps a bay leaf and a bit of thyme. Bring
to a boil, turn down the heat to a simmer, and simmer for several
hours. Skim any foam that rises to the top. You can do this with any
meat. You may brown the meat or bones first. You can use bones with
a little meat on them. The process is the same.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Feb 2014 16:40:49 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
> wrote:

> not too salty, please.

This is a really good idea, Kalmia... but I've never made bouillon in
my life. Looked at the internet and saw stuff I liked.

I'd start with this simple one
http://www.myrealfoodlife.com/home-m...ouillon-cubes/

but if you want something more complex, try
http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives...on-recipe.html
and cut the salt by half or eliminate it entirely and add it per use.

Bottom line: I think you will be able to make bouillon if you can make
stock... because homemade bullion just seems to be a concentrated
version of stock. I suppose you can make it more like the real thing
if you have a dehydrator.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Feb 2014 19:16:03 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Sat, 22 Feb 2014 16:40:49 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
> wrote:
>
>> not too salty, please.

>This is a really good idea, Kalmia... but I've never made bouillon in
>my life. Looked at the internet and saw stuff I liked.
>
>I'd start with this simple one
>http://www.myrealfoodlife.com/home-m...ouillon-cubes/
>
>but if you want something more complex, try
>http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives...on-recipe.html
>and cut the salt by half or eliminate it entirely and add it per use.
>
>Bottom line: I think you will be able to make bouillon if you can make
>stock... because homemade bullion just seems to be a concentrated
>version of stock. I suppose you can make it more like the real thing
>if you have a dehydrator.

Ahhh, I discounted the 'cubes' as being what we can get in the store.
What you have shown is just what we get when we cook down our stock or
broth and store it away in little cups in the freezer. I didn't
realize it had been named.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Feb 2014 21:09:40 -0700, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Feb 2014 19:16:03 -0800, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 22 Feb 2014 16:40:49 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
> > wrote:
> >
> >> not too salty, please.

> >This is a really good idea, Kalmia... but I've never made bouillon in
> >my life. Looked at the internet and saw stuff I liked.
> >
> >I'd start with this simple one
> >http://www.myrealfoodlife.com/home-m...ouillon-cubes/
> >
> >but if you want something more complex, try
> >http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives...on-recipe.html
> >and cut the salt by half or eliminate it entirely and add it per use.
> >
> >Bottom line: I think you will be able to make bouillon if you can make
> >stock... because homemade bullion just seems to be a concentrated
> >version of stock. I suppose you can make it more like the real thing
> >if you have a dehydrator.

> Ahhh, I discounted the 'cubes' as being what we can get in the store.
> What you have shown is just what we get when we cook down our stock or
> broth and store it away in little cups in the freezer. I didn't
> realize it had been named.

Heh,,, me either! The internet is a wonderful place, isn't it? I
think the "real" bullion requires a dehydrator, but that's me going
off on a bullion tangent.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 22 Feb 2014 16:40:49 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
> > wrote:
>
>> not too salty, please.

> This is a really good idea, Kalmia... but I've never made bouillon in
> my life. Looked at the internet and saw stuff I liked.
>
> I'd start with this simple one
> http://www.myrealfoodlife.com/home-m...ouillon-cubes/

I make mine like that all the time but I've never saved it in small sizes
like that. I usually freezer in in small tubs. They look cute though

> but if you want something more complex, try
> http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives...on-recipe.html
> and cut the salt by half or eliminate it entirely and add it per use.
>
> Bottom line: I think you will be able to make bouillon if you can make
> stock... because homemade bullion just seems to be a concentrated
> version of stock. I suppose you can make it more like the real thing
> if you have a dehydrator.

That is a very good idea! I will look into that, thanks

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 23 Feb 2014 10:59:44 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Sat, 22 Feb 2014 16:40:49 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> not too salty, please.

> > This is a really good idea, Kalmia... but I've never made bouillon in
> > my life.

I take that back, I've made "court bouillon" which isn't salty at all
and I've made stock so concentrated that it jelled when it cooled - so
I guess I have.

> Looked at the internet and saw stuff I liked.
> >
> > I'd start with this simple one
> > http://www.myrealfoodlife.com/home-m...ouillon-cubes/

> I make mine like that all the time but I've never saved it in small sizes
> like that. I usually freezer in in small tubs. They look cute though
>
> > but if you want something more complex, try
> > http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives...on-recipe.html
> > and cut the salt by half or eliminate it entirely and add it per use.
> >
> > Bottom line: I think you will be able to make bouillon if you can make
> > stock... because homemade bullion just seems to be a concentrated
> > version of stock. I suppose you can make it more like the real thing
> > if you have a dehydrator.

> That is a very good idea! I will look into that, thanks

If you ever get around to doing it, would you please post your
results? I've never been interested in a dehydrator, but this is
changing my mind because hubby likes to make soup (usually Ramen if I
don't have anything else) for his lunch and I think he would really
like it if I had home made stock in powder form on hand for him to
use.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Feb 2014 22:23:17 -0800, sf > wrote:

snip I
>think the "real" bullion requires a dehydrator, but that's me going
>off on a bullion tangent.

Nah, if you add enough salt it's not a problem
Janet
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/23/2014 11:43 AM, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Feb 2014 10:59:44 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>

>> "sf" > wrote in message
>>> On Sat, 22 Feb 2014 16:40:49 -0800 (PST), Kalmia

>>> This is a really good idea, Kalmia... but I've never made bouillon in
>>> my life.

> I take that back, I've made "court bouillon" which isn't salty at all
> and I've made stock so concentrated that it jelled when it cooled - so
> I guess I have.

I always cook stock (beef, chicken) down to the point where after being
chilled overnight and the fat skimmed off, it is gelatinous. I've never
called it boullion, though. Heat it up, it liquifies right back into
rich stock.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> I always cook stock (beef, chicken) down to the point where after being
> chilled overnight and the fat skimmed off, it is gelatinous. I've never
> called it boullion, though. Heat it up, it liquifies right back into
> rich stock.

When it turns gelatinous when cold, that's when you know you got it
right!

G.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message

> If you ever get around to doing it, would you please post your
> results? I've never been interested in a dehydrator, but this is
> changing my mind because hubby likes to make soup (usually Ramen if I
> don't have anything else) for his lunch and I think he would really
> like it if I had home made stock in powder form on hand for him to
> use.

I will indeed! I have some stock/broth in the freezer so I think I will
take some out and experiment with it. Will report back!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 2/23/2014 11:43 AM, sf wrote:
>> On Sun, 23 Feb 2014 10:59:44 -0000, "Ophelia"
>> > wrote:

>> I take that back, I've made "court bouillon" which isn't salty at all
>> and I've made stock so concentrated that it jelled when it cooled - so
>> I guess I have.
>>

> I always cook stock (beef, chicken) down to the point where after being
> chilled overnight and the fat skimmed off, it is gelatinous. I've never
> called it boullion, though. Heat it up, it liquifies right back into rich
> stock.

I've never called it boullion either but it is the same thing

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 23 Feb 2014 18:19:55 -0000, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
>
> > If you ever get around to doing it, would you please post your
> > results? I've never been interested in a dehydrator, but this is
> > changing my mind because hubby likes to make soup (usually Ramen if I
> > don't have anything else) for his lunch and I think he would really
> > like it if I had home made stock in powder form on hand for him to
> > use.

> I will indeed! I have some stock/broth in the freezer so I think I will
> take some out and experiment with it. Will report back!

Thanks!

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "sf" > wrote in message
>
>> If you ever get around to doing it, would you please post your
>> results? I've never been interested in a dehydrator, but this is
>> changing my mind because hubby likes to make soup (usually Ramen if I
>> don't have anything else) for his lunch and I think he would really
>> like it if I had home made stock in powder form on hand for him to
>> use.

> I will indeed! I have some stock/broth in the freezer so I think I will
> take some out and experiment with it. Will report back!

I have some defrosting now and will put it in the dehydrator this evening,
(if I remember) but whatever happens it will be dried very soon

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, February 22, 2014 10:16:03 PM UTC-5, sf wrote:

> but if you want something more complex, try
>
> http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives...on-recipe.html
>
> and cut the salt by half or eliminate it entirely and add it per use.

SF,
That's the recipe I wanna try - I take it you had success with it. I will def. cut the salt.
Kal

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 25 Feb 2014 06:15:09 -0800 (PST), Kalmia
> wrote:

> On Saturday, February 22, 2014 10:16:03 PM UTC-5, sf wrote:
>
> > but if you want something more complex, try
> >
> > http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives...on-recipe.html
> >
> > and cut the salt by half or eliminate it entirely and add it per use.

> SF,
> That's the recipe I wanna try - I take it you had success with it. I will def. cut the salt.

I have not tried it, Kal... but it looks delicious. Ophelia is
dehydrating some stock as we speak to let me know if it works or not.
If it does, I'll be looking around for a dehydrator because it will be
just the ticket for hubby and his lunches. He likes to make soup with
leftovers, but he doesn't cook - so he opens a box of broth or a
packet of Ramen. I know he would appreciate being able to scoop some
powder and just add water to make a rich base.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> I have not tried it, Kal... but it looks delicious. Ophelia is
> dehydrating some stock as we speak to let me know if it works or not.
> If it does, I'll be looking around for a dehydrator

My gas stove with pilot lights keeps my oven the perfect temp to
dehydrate food overnight. YOU have a gas oven too (but not with pilot
lights). Just turn your oven down to the lowest setting that keeps it
on. Dehyrating things require a temp of 105F or so. It makes yogurt
too.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 25 Feb 2014 10:32:25 -0500, Gary > wrote:

> sf wrote:
> >
> > I have not tried it, Kal... but it looks delicious. Ophelia is
> > dehydrating some stock as we speak to let me know if it works or not.
> > If it does, I'll be looking around for a dehydrator

> My gas stove with pilot lights keeps my oven the perfect temp to
> dehydrate food overnight. YOU have a gas oven too (but not with pilot
> lights). Just turn your oven down to the lowest setting that keeps it
> on. Dehyrating things require a temp of 105F or so. It makes yogurt
> too.

My oven is electric and the lowest setting is 150°.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Feb 2014 10:32:25 -0500, Gary > wrote:
>
> > sf wrote:
> > >
> > > I have not tried it, Kal... but it looks delicious. Ophelia is
> > > dehydrating some stock as we speak to let me know if it works or not.
> > > If it does, I'll be looking around for a dehydrator

> > My gas stove with pilot lights keeps my oven the perfect temp to
> > dehydrate food overnight. YOU have a gas oven too (but not with pilot
> > lights). Just turn your oven down to the lowest setting that keeps it
> > on. Dehyrating things require a temp of 105F or so. It makes yogurt
> > too.
> >

> My oven is electric and the lowest setting is 150°.

Oh sorry. I knew you have a new gas stove (that you've complained
about). I just assumed it was a complete unit of stovetop and oven. I
guess your gas stovetop is on the countertop and the oven is separate.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 28 Feb 2014 17:06:48 -0500, Gary > wrote:

> sf wrote:

> > > My gas stove with pilot lights keeps my oven the perfect temp to
> > > dehydrate food overnight. YOU have a gas oven too (but not with pilot
> > > lights). Just turn your oven down to the lowest setting that keeps it
> > > on. Dehyrating things require a temp of 105F or so. It makes yogurt
> > > too.
> > >

> > My oven is electric and the lowest setting is 150°.

> Oh sorry. I knew you have a new gas stove (that you've complained
> about). I just assumed it was a complete unit of stovetop and oven. I
> guess your gas stovetop is on the countertop and the oven is separate.

Correct.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.