Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sriracha maker said odor problem is fixed; invites Irwindale officialsto inspect

The San Gabriel Valley Tribune (http://www.sgvtribune.com)
Sriracha maker said odor problem is fixed; invites Irwindale officials
to inspect

By Lauren Gold, Pasadena Star-News

and Sarah Favot, Pasadena Star-News

Friday, February 21, 2014

IRWINDALE>> Sriracha maker Huy Fong Foods said Friday it remedied an
alleged odor problem coming from its chili sauce factory, about three
months after a Superior Court judge ordered changes to be made.

CEO David Tran sent a letter to Irwindale’s Community Development
Director Friday saying he “made improvements to our odor filtering
system, and now the odor has been controlled.” Tran requested that the
city come and inspect the changes for themselves.

The city took Huy Fong to Los Angeles County Superior Court in October
seeking a temporary restraining order against the company because
residents complained the odors emanating from the Azusa Canyon Road
factory cause their eyes to burn and coughing fits.

Superior Court Judge Robert H. O’Brien denied the city’s request, which
would have immediately shutdown operations at the factory in the midst
of its three-month chili grinding season. In November, O’Brien ordered
Huy Fong to shutdown operations that caused the smell and immediately
make changes to mitigate the smell.

Huy Fong’s Executive Operations Officer Donna Lam declined to elaborate
on the changes Huy Fong has made to the filters, saying she wanted to
discuss them with the city and then explain further at a planned public
hearing at Irwindale City Hall on Wednesday. She said she hoped to work
with the city to put an end to the issue.

City Attorney Fred Galante, who had not yet seen Tran’s letter, said Huy
Fong did not collaborate with the city on the changes it made to its
filtration system.

“Our expert could probably not even give us an opinion as to whether
that system would be effective during the grinding season,” Galante said.

He said the city will go to Huy Fong and see if they will share the
specifications of its system, so their consultant can make a determination.

Galante said the City Council will decide whether or not to hold the
scheduled public hearing to determine if Huy Fong has created a public
nuisance or wait to see if the changes Huy Fong has made to the
filtration system will be effective.

“It’s sort of very late in the process without giving us that prior
opportunity,” Galante said.

Galante said the city has still continued to receive some odor
complaints, but calls have subsided since the chili grinding season
ended in late October.

“We just don’t know, how far does the city want to take this? Is it no
odor at all?” Lam said. “It’s not fair. One of our workers went out and
said she smelled dog food, people tell us they smell hops from the
Miller factory. I’m not sure if it’s just pinpointing us. We are trying
to do the best we can and we want the city to come and we want to see
what their opinion is.”

Lam added, “It’s not like David is not doing anything. If it’s still not
good enough, tell us what to do or give us an opinion at least. You
can’t go to the hearing and have this preconceived notion based on the
complaints.”

© 2014 The San Gabriel Valley Tribune (http://www.sgvtribune.com)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I just drove through Irwindale about an hour ao. The smell of sewage was
awful. Beats me what they are complaining about.

"Travis McGee" > wrote in message

> [...]
> opportunity,” Galante said.
>
> Galante said the city has still continued to receive some odor complaints,
> but calls have subsided since the chili grinding season ended in late
> October.
>
> “We just don’t know, how far does the city want to take this? Is it no
> odor at all?” Lam said. “It’s not fair. One of our workers went out and
> said she smelled dog food, people tell us they smell hops from the Miller
> factory. I’m not sure if it’s just pinpointing us. We are trying to do the
> best we can and we want the city to come and we want to see what their
> opinion is.”
>
> Lam added, “It’s not like David is not doing anything. If it’s still not
> good enough, tell us what to do or give us an opinion at least. You can’t
> go to the hearing and have this preconceived notion based on the

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 21 Feb 2014 19:53:25 -0800, "Paul M. Cook" >
wrote:

> I just drove through Irwindale about an hour ao. The smell of sewage was
> awful. Beats me what they are complaining about.
>

> "Travis McGee" > wrote in message
> >

> > The San Gabriel Valley Tribune (http://www.sgvtribune.com)
> > Sriracha maker said odor problem is fixed; invites Irwindale officials to
> > inspect

Just as I thought. The odor problem is a non-problem.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 21 Feb 2014 19:53:25 -0800, Paul M. Cook wrote:
>
>> I just drove through Irwindale about an hour ao. The smell of sewage was
>> awful.

> Try using some Listerine.

He's here all week folks. Is there an emoticon for a rim job?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-02-22, Paul M. Cook > wrote:

> He's here all week folks. Is there an emoticon for a rim job?

I hope you mean a "rim shot".

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 22 Feb 2014 14:41:05 GMT, notbob > wrote:

> On 2014-02-22, Paul M. Cook > wrote:
>
> > He's here all week folks. Is there an emoticon for a rim job?

> I hope you mean a "rim shot".

He probably meant what he said... because it's Sheldon.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2014-02-22 15:53:47 +0000, sf said:

> On 22 Feb 2014 14:41:05 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>
>> On 2014-02-22, Paul M. Cook > wrote:
>>
>>> He's here all week folks. Is there an emoticon for a rim job?

>> I hope you mean a "rim shot".
>>

> He probably meant what he said... because it's Sheldon.

Oh my god--Sheldon's moved to Irwindale! It might even start smelling
strange down here in OC.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2014-02-22, Paul M. Cook > wrote:
>
>> He's here all week folks. Is there an emoticon for a rim job?

> I hope you mean a "rim shot".

Actually I have heard the term used both for a gross sex act and as a drum
effect. I was sure squishie knew the difference.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gtr" > wrote in message news:2014022209390617714-xxx@yyyzzz...
> On 2014-02-22 15:53:47 +0000, sf said:

>>> I hope you mean a "rim shot".
>>>

>> He probably meant what he said... because it's Sheldon.

> Oh my god--Sheldon's moved to Irwindale! It might even start smelling
> strange down here in OC.

I don't live in Irwindale, thank Christ.

That town is a disgrace. Sometimes in the heat of the summer the smell is
so bad you have to close the vents in your car 5 miles before you pass
through it.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2014-02-22 19:23:28 +0000, Paul M. Cook said:

> "notbob" > wrote in message
>> On 2014-02-22, Paul M. Cook > wrote:
>>
>>> He's here all week folks. Is there an emoticon for a rim job?

>> I hope you mean a "rim shot".
>>

> Actually I have heard the term used both for a gross sex act and as a
> drum effect. I was sure squishie knew the difference.

Anyone who confuses a rim shot with a rim job is pretty confused. They
might well consider cornhole and corncob the same thing.

In any case they're likely to wind up in significantly embarrassing
circumstances.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 22 Feb 2014 11:50:32 -0800, gtr wrote:

>>> Actually I have heard the term used both for a gross sex act and as a
>>> drum effect. I was sure squishie knew the difference.

>> Anyone who confuses a rim shot with a rim job is pretty confused. They
>> might well consider cornhole and corncob the same thing.

> <snork>
>
> Damn, Paul. You sure got a reaming on this one.

One is not a reaming unless you count your corncobs.

> -sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, February 23, 2014 2:40:40 AM UTC-6, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Feb 2014 11:50:32 -0800, gtr wrote:

> >> Actually I have heard the term used both for a gross sex act and as a

> >> drum effect. I was sure squishie knew the difference.

> > Anyone who confuses a rim shot with a rim job is pretty confused. They

> > might well consider cornhole and corncob the same thing.

> <snork>
>

> Damn, Paul. You sure got a reaming on this one.

That merits a rim shot.

> -sw

--B
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, February 22, 2014 1:23:28 PM UTC-6, Paul M. Cook wrote:
> "notbob" > wrote in message

> > On 2014-02-22, Paul M. Cook > wrote:

> >> He's here all week folks. Is there an emoticon for a rim job?

> > I hope you mean a "rim shot".

> Actually I have heard the term used both for a gross sex act and as a drum
>
> effect.

Hey, Paul. "Take a walk on the wild side."

--B
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bryan-TGWWW" > wrote in message
> On Saturday, February 22, 2014 1:23:28 PM UTC-6, Paul M. Cook wrote:

>> > I hope you mean a "rim shot".

>> Actually I have heard the term used both for a gross sex act and as a
>> drum
>>
>> effect.
>>

> Hey, Paul. "Take a walk on the wild side."

No thanks.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-02-22, Travis McGee > wrote:

> IRWINDALE>> Sriracha maker Huy Fong Foods said Friday it remedied an
> alleged odor problem......

The popularity of Fong sriracha is bringing more choices to the sprmkt
shelves. I'm now seeing both Kikkoman and Lee Kum Kee sriracha on the
local mkt shelves and we don't have any real Asian population to speak of,
so it's gotta be round eyes driving it. They may be jes trial runs,
like Tabasco's habanero, which came and went all too soon, but at
least they are available, now. Gonna buy me some.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2014-02-22, Travis McGee > wrote:
>
>> IRWINDALE>> Sriracha maker Huy Fong Foods said Friday it remedied an
>> alleged odor problem......

> The popularity of Fong sriracha is bringing more choices to the sprmkt
> shelves. I'm now seeing both Kikkoman and Lee Kum Kee sriracha on the
> local mkt shelves and we don't have any real Asian population to speak of,
> so it's gotta be round eyes driving it. They may be jes trial runs,
> like Tabasco's habanero, which came and went all too soon, but at
> least they are available, now. Gonna buy me some.

I liked the habanero.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-02-24, Sqwertz > wrote:

> Habanero Tabasco is still widely available. I bought a bottle two
> weeks ago. It's the only Tabasco worth anything.
>
> Texas Pete's also has a sriracha:

Yeah, but they took the Tabasco habby off the shelves, here in Eybrow
and Nosepick CO. Obviously not moving. I also know there are other
srirachas. The resto I worked for had a brand from Thailand. It was
too wimpy to even bother remembering.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 24, 2014 1:52:42 AM UTC-6, Sqwertz wrote:
> On 23 Feb 2014 22:20:27 GMT, notbob wrote:
>

> > The popularity of Fong sriracha is bringing more choices to the sprmkt

> > shelves. I'm now seeing both Kikkoman and Lee Kum Kee sriracha on the

> > local mkt shelves and we don't have any real Asian population to speak of,

> > so it's gotta be round eyes driving it. They may be jes trial runs,

> > like Tabasco's habanero, which came and went all too soon, but at

> > least they are available, now. Gonna buy me some.

> Habanero Tabasco is still widely available. I bought a bottle two
>
> weeks ago. It's the only Tabasco worth anything.
>

> Texas Pete's also has a sriracha:
>

> https://www.texaspete.com/shop/cha/

I'd describe Sriracha as Louisiana hot sauce that has been
allowed to go rancid, with a garlic and sugar added.

I buy Valentina Extra Hot because it's cheap, good and hot,
and no worse than most others. The only one I really like
is Cholula. I probably should quit being so cheap and buy
myself a jug.
http://www.amazon.com/Cholula-Origin...dp/B0041DQSAI/

> -sw

--B
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-02-24, Sqwertz > wrote:

> I thought we were just talking new Srirachas made in the USA. Both
> Kikkomann and LKK (and Texas Pete) are American-made. Too many Thai
> brands to list, many of which try and imitate Huy Fong. Strangely
> enough, my largest Asian market only sells one brand - Huy Fong. I
> will try the Shark brand if I ever see it.

Kinda weird that Thai brands would be less hot than Fong, what with
Thai food being notorious for hot/spicy cuisine. I know the one Thai
resto around here (heavy on the cheapo pasta) will provide a memorably
HOT dish, when requested.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-02-23 17:20, notbob wrote:
> On 2014-02-22, Travis McGee > wrote:
>
>> IRWINDALE>> Sriracha maker Huy Fong Foods said Friday it remedied an
>> alleged odor problem......

> The popularity of Fong sriracha is bringing more choices to the sprmkt
> shelves. I'm now seeing both Kikkoman and Lee Kum Kee sriracha on the
> local mkt shelves and we don't have any real Asian population to speak of,
> so it's gotta be round eyes driving it. They may be jes trial runs,
> like Tabasco's habanero, which came and went all too soon, but at
> least they are available, now. Gonna buy me some.

I only started using Fong Srirachi sauce and I really like the stuff.
Gotta be careful... it is powerful.

Last week we had a bunch of chicken breasts, and asparagus was on sale
cheap. I faked a pasta stir fry using thin sliced chicken breasts along
with chopped asparagus, red and green peppers, garlic. I made a sauce
using a cup of chicken broth, made a corn starch slurry with it and
added a couple dashes of sririach, thickened it up and stirred in the
pasta. It incredible. We had more thawed chicken breasts and asparagus
and did the same dish the next night.