Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Peeling and Grating Ginger

OK, let's see what kind of responses we get to this one.

http://www.foodandwine.com/blogs/201...e-you-need-to-
make-ginger-cocktails?xid=DISH022014MethodGratingGinger
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/20/2014 6:25 AM, Alan Holbrook wrote:
> OK, let's see what kind of responses we get to this one.
>
> http://www.foodandwine.com/blogs/201...e-you-need-to-
> make-ginger-cocktails?xid=DISH022014MethodGratingGinger

Looks like a sensible solution!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/20/2014 6:25 AM, Alan Holbrook wrote:
> OK, let's see what kind of responses we get to this one.
>
> http://www.foodandwine.com/blogs/201...e-you-need-to-
> make-ginger-cocktails?xid=DISH022014MethodGratingGinger

Looks good but I wonder how well it works on partially thawed ginger
root since I freeze ginger. I'll try it next time I want grated ginger.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, February 20, 2014 6:25:12 AM UTC-5, Alan Holbrook wrote:
> OK, let's see what kind of responses we get to this one.
>

> http://www.foodandwine.com/blogs/201...e-you-need-to-
>
> make-ginger-cocktails?xid=DISH022014MethodGratingGinger

I've heard of this method before. Usually I do ok with just a veg peeler.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/20/2014 9:13 AM, wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 05:45:56 -0800 (PST), ravenlynne
> > wrote:
>
>> On Thursday, February 20, 2014 6:25:12 AM UTC-5, Alan Holbrook wrote:
>>> OK, let's see what kind of responses we get to this one.

http://www.foodandwine.com/blogs/201...e-you-need-to-

>>> make-ginger-cocktails?xid=DISH022014MethodGratingGinger

>> I've heard of this method before. Usually I do ok with just a veg peeler.

> I assume from what you say, can't make the link work, just get a
> 'sorry' message that they probably show scraping the skin off with a
> spoon ? By far the most efficient way to do it.

That's exactly what it shows. Peeling with a spoon, then grating the
ginger using the tines of a fork. (You have to copy/paste the entire
URL to get it to work, otherwise it's a broken link.)

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-02-20, Alan Holbrook > wrote:
> OK, let's see what kind of responses we get to this one.
>
> http://www.foodandwine.com/blogs/201...e-you-need-to-
> make-ginger-cocktails?xid=DISH022014MethodGratingGinger

Yer Xnews reader wraps the link, which breaks it. Either put <>
brackets around the link or use http://tinyurl.com/.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 10:13:46 -0400, wrote:

>On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 05:45:56 -0800 (PST), ravenlynne
> wrote:
>
>>On Thursday, February 20, 2014 6:25:12 AM UTC-5, Alan Holbrook wrote:
>>> OK, let's see what kind of responses we get to this one.

http://www.foodandwine.com/blogs/201...e-you-need-to-

>>> make-ginger-cocktails?xid=DISH022014MethodGratingGinger

>>I've heard of this method before. Usually I do ok with just a veg peeler.

>I assume from what you say, can't make the link work, just get a
>'sorry' message that they probably show scraping the skin off with a
>spoon ? By far the most efficient way to do it.

I watched that video, the guy is an idiot... why would any normal
person want to waste all that time and effort preparing ginger, and
each time they prepare ginger? I grate frozen ginger, very easy to
grate. I don't worry about the skin, I wash the ginger prior to
freezing. I eat the skin on apples, potatoes, and grapes too, I just
wash them first. I see absolutely no reason to peel ginger... and
that forking is a totally stupid waste of time and effort... my little
paddle grater does the job quickly and easily with frozen or not...
and in fact most of the skin remains on the cutting side of the
grater, mostly only the flesh passes through. And I don't want to
peel ginger in advance, for the same reason I wouldn't peel fruit in
advance, it would dry out and oxidize.
Before using your grater for the first time sharpen it... they are
made of stamped sheet metal so all those little cutting edges have a
burr, you need to remove those burrs before you use the grater or
those burrs will roll over making the grater super dull, and some will
b reak off ending up in your food, you don't want those metal slivers
in your gut. It only takes like ten minutes with a jeweler's file to
remove those burrs and sharpen each edge... rub a magic marker over
the entire cutting surface to make it easy to tell which edges have
already been dressed. You should only need to sharpen your grater but
once.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 05:25:12 -0600, Alan Holbrook >
wrote:

> OK, let's see what kind of responses we get to this one.
>
> http://www.foodandwine.com/blogs/201...e-you-need-to-
> make-ginger-cocktails?xid=DISH022014MethodGratingGinger

I don't peel ginger before I grate it. I have a fine shredder that I
use for grating and it never clogs. It's not even on my radar screen.
http://www.webstaurantstore.com/imag...dium-holes.jpg

--
I take life with a grain of salt, a slice of lemon and a shot of tequila
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
>>> On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 05:45:56 -0800 (PST), ravenlynne

http://www.foodandwine.com/blogs/201...e-you-need-to-

>>> I assume from what you say, can't make the link work, just get a
>>> 'sorry' message that they probably show scraping the skin off with a
>>> spoon ? By far the most efficient way to do it.
>>>

>>That's exactly what it shows. Peeling with a spoon, then grating the
>>ginger using the tines of a fork. (You have to copy/paste the entire
>>URL to get it to work, otherwise it's a broken link.)
>>
>>Jill

>I did copy/paste but still received a sorry message.

You didn't do it correctly... yet another obvious newbie.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> Perhaps the link doesn't want Canucks there - - -
>>>

>> As others have pointed out, you need the whole link to get it to work:
>> the 2 lines have to be connected.
>>
>> I wonder what is the quickest and easiest way to deal with such a
>> situation?
>>

>Tiny url.
>
>Jill

Tiny URL works only if you first correct the broken link, and then
only if you want to use Tiny Link, which is totally unesessary to make
that link work. I copy and paste it to a blank email, make the
corrections, then copy and paste the corrected link to my browser...
sometimes if the link is short enough I can easily correct it in the
browser bar... but at the time I saw that broken link it already
included several attribution marks and I didn't feel like juggling it
about inside the browser bar.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> As others have pointed out, you need the whole link to get it to work:
>>> the 2 lines have to be connected.
>>>
>>> I wonder what is the quickest and easiest way to deal with such a
>>> situation?
>>>

>> Tiny url.
>>

> Yes that will work for the poster but once a split link arrives, what's
> the best way to deal with it?

Ancient Computer Secret: highlight the entire link, press ctrl+c to
copy, then open a browser and paste it ctrl+v. Then click Enter or hit
Send.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> Tiny url.
>>>

>> Yes that will work for the poster but once a split link arrives, what's
>> the best way to deal with it?
>>

> Ancient Computer Secret: highlight the entire link, press ctrl+c to
> copy, then open a browser and paste it ctrl+v. Then click Enter or hit
> Send.

Yes, that works well. I thought that I had tried it but I must have
slipped up somewhere, perhaps when I was doing the selection.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/20/2014 1:25 AM, Alan Holbrook wrote:
> OK, let's see what kind of responses we get to this one.
>
> http://www.foodandwine.com/blogs/201...dGratingGinger

This sounds reasonable to me. I just use a knife with my thumb on the
end of the ginger. It is the way I learned it as a kid. These days, I
don't even bother to peel the ginger most times.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 12:22:38 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

> These days, I
> don't even bother to peel the ginger most times.

Agree! Why bother? It's a complete waste of time.

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.