Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Bacon Maple Truffles!!

I mentioned recently about my discovering my bacon grease which I got
from frying up 1.5lbs of bacon to make my Bacon Maple Truffles for my
Christmas Candy last year.

I've been munching on the leftovers! YUM!!! And they are still good,
no refrigeration! I have 4 left!! Here's the recipe I used:

3 lbs dark chocolate, chopped up
1.5 lbs bacon, fried crispy and drained/cooled
1/2 cup maple syrup
1 cup cream (not enough actually, try 1.5 cups cream!)

Combine the cream and maple syrup in a big pan. Crumble and add bacon.
Bring just to a boil and dump in the chopped dark chocolate and stir,
stir, stir! Pour into shallow pan to cool and set up.

I use a baking pan/cookie sheet thing with about 3/4 inch raised
edges. Cover with a sheet of plastic wrap and tape up the edges to the
edges of the pan. Then pour the liquidy ganache in and let cool.set
up. Makes removal for scaling a whole lot easier! Scale into little
balls and dip, or roll in cocoa or do whatever you do to your
truffles!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, February 19, 2014 3:45:19 PM UTC-6, John Kuthe wrote:
> I mentioned recently about my discovering my bacon grease which I got
>
> from frying up 1.5lbs of bacon to make my Bacon Maple Truffles for my
>
> Christmas Candy last year.
>

> I've been munching on the leftovers! YUM!!! And they are still good,
>
> no refrigeration! I have 4 left!! Here's the recipe I used:
>

> 3 lbs dark chocolate, chopped up
>
> 1.5 lbs bacon, fried crispy and drained/cooled
>
> 1/2 cup maple syrup
>
> 1 cup cream (not enough actually, try 1.5 cups cream!)
>

> Combine the cream and maple syrup in a big pan. Crumble and add bacon.
>
> Bring just to a boil and dump in the chopped dark chocolate and stir,
>
> stir, stir! Pour into shallow pan to cool and set up.
>

> I use a baking pan/cookie sheet thing with about 3/4 inch raised
>
> edges. Cover with a sheet of plastic wrap and tape up the edges to the
>
> edges of the pan. Then pour the liquidy ganache in and let cool.set
>
> up. Makes removal for scaling a whole lot easier! Scale into little
>
> balls and dip, or roll in cocoa or do whatever you do to your
>
> truffles!

Your overuse of exclamation points reminds me of gratuitous violence and sex.
You've never been a violent person (a compliment). The sex? Sublimation?

> John Kuthe...

--B
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 19 Feb 2014 16:11:26 -0800 (PST), Bryan-TGWWW
>Your overuse of exclamation points reminds me of gratuitous violence and sex.
>You've never been a violent person (a compliment). The sex? Sublimation?
>>
>> John Kuthe...

>--B

Your overuse of your own opinions as a standard everyone else should
follow reminds me of being egocentric. And that's a medical opinon!
But then I'm a licensed medical professional, I guess I can have
those. I have no idea where you think YOUR qualifications come from
from. Google?

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, February 19, 2014 6:19:40 PM UTC-6, John Kuthe wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Feb 2014 16:11:26 -0800 (PST), Bryan-TGWWW

> >Your overuse of exclamation points reminds me of gratuitous violence and sex.

> >You've never been a violent person (a compliment). The sex? Sublimation?

> >> John Kuthe...

> >--B

> Your overuse of your own opinions as a standard everyone else should
>
> follow reminds me of being egocentric. And that's a medical opinon!
>
> But then I'm a licensed medical professional, I guess I can have
>
> those. I have no idea where you think YOUR qualifications come from
>
> from. Google?

So, a nurse with a BSN is offering a diagnosis on Usenet? Are you trying
to ruin your career again? Remember the sloppiness on Usenet that almost
sank you last time? Do I need to elaborate?

> John Kuthe...

--B
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 19 Feb 2014 18:18:05 -0800 (PST), Bryan-TGWWW
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, February 19, 2014 6:19:40 PM UTC-6, John Kuthe wrote:
>> On Wed, 19 Feb 2014 16:11:26 -0800 (PST), Bryan-TGWWW
>>
>> > wrote:

>> >Your overuse of exclamation points reminds me of gratuitous violence and sex.

>> >You've never been a violent person (a compliment). The sex? Sublimation?

>> >--B

>> Your overuse of your own opinions as a standard everyone else should
>>
>> follow reminds me of being egocentric. And that's a medical opinon!
>>
>> But then I'm a licensed medical professional, I guess I can have
>>
>> those. I have no idea where you think YOUR qualifications come from
>>
>> from. Google?
>>

>So, a nurse with a BSN is offering a diagnosis on Usenet? Are you trying
>to ruin your career again? Remember the sloppiness on Usenet that almost
>sank you last time? Do I need to elaborate?
>>
>> John Kuthe...

>--B

Which part of "opinion" did you not understand? I do not have any
authority to diagnose anything, that is for people who have the
letters pHD after their name.

Jees you can be dense sometimes! I guess whever it suits your evil
purposes.

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"John Kuthe" <I mentioned recently about my discovering my bacon grease
[...]

Thanks, John. For some of us (at least me) you'll need to be more specific.
Dark chocolate? whose/which?, maple syrup? any or a special syrup from
whence? I guess I can fry bacon unsupervised but reckon you may as well say
a few words about the cream too. Would what my grocery calls 'whipping
cream' do the deed okay? Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 08:00:49 -0600, "Polly Esther"
> wrote:

>"John Kuthe" <I mentioned recently about my discovering my bacon grease
>which I got
>from frying up 1.5lbs of bacon to make my Bacon Maple Truffles for my
>Christmas Candy last year.
>
>I've been munching on the leftovers! YUM!!! And they are still good,
>no refrigeration! I have 4 left!! Here's the recipe I used:
>
>3 lbs dark chocolate, chopped up
>1.5 lbs bacon, fried crispy and drained/cooled
>1/2 cup maple syrup
>1 cup cream (not enough actually, try 1.5 cups cream!)
>
>Combine the cream and maple syrup in a big pan. Crumble and add bacon.
>Bring just to a boil and dump in the chopped dark chocolate and stir,
>stir, stir! Pour into shallow pan to cool and set up.
>
>I use a baking pan/cookie sheet thing with about 3/4 inch raised
>edges. Cover with a sheet of plastic wrap and tape up the edges to the
>edges of the pan. Then pour the liquidy ganache in and let cool.set
>up. Makes removal for scaling a whole lot easier! Scale into little
>balls and dip, or roll in cocoa or do whatever you do to your
>truffles!
>
>John Kuthe...
>Thanks, John. For some of us (at least me) you'll need to be more specific.
>Dark chocolate? whose/which?, maple syrup? any or a special syrup from
>whence? I guess I can fry bacon unsupervised but reckon you may as well say
>a few words about the cream too. Would what my grocery calls 'whipping
>cream' do the deed okay? Polly

Any dark chocolate you like. The basic recipe for truffles/ganache is
chocolate and cream. And in my experience, whipping cream is fine even
if it contains guar gum (which again in my experience messes up
English Toffee!) And maple syrup, 100% real if you want the best.

Truffles are a pretty bulletproof candy in my experience. The one
imnportant factor I've found is the consistency of the set ganache.
Too little cream and the set ganche is very hard to work. Too little
and it's mushy. I started out with a cup with this recipe, but it was
far too stiff! I'd recomend 1.5 cups cream as I said.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, February 19, 2014 10:01:11 PM UTC-5, John Kuthe wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Feb 2014 18:18:05 -0800 (PST), Bryan-TGWWW
>
> > wrote:
>

> >On Wednesday, February 19, 2014 6:19:40 PM UTC-6, John Kuthe wrote:

> >> On Wed, 19 Feb 2014 16:11:26 -0800 (PST), Bryan-TGWWW

> >> Your overuse of your own opinions as a standard everyone else should

> >> follow reminds me of being egocentric. And that's a medical opinon!

> >> But then I'm a licensed medical professional, I guess I can have

> >> those. I have no idea where you think YOUR qualifications come from

> >> from. Google?

> >So, a nurse with a BSN is offering a diagnosis on Usenet? Are you trying

> >to ruin your career again? Remember the sloppiness on Usenet that almost

> >sank you last time? Do I need to elaborate?

> >> John Kuthe...

> >--B

> Which part of "opinion" did you not understand? I do not have any
>
> authority to diagnose anything, that is for people who have the
>
> letters pHD after their name.
>

> Jees you can be dense sometimes! I guess whever it suits your evil
>
> purposes.
>

> John Kuthe...

So, to summarize your comprehensive knowledge of the medical field:

1) PhDs are the ones who diagnose illnesses (sorry MDs and DOs)
2) Heroin is not an effective analgesic
3) If heroin were an effective analgesic, more doctors (presumanly PhDs) would prescribe it, even though it's illegal to do so
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, February 19, 2014 4:45:19 PM UTC-5, John Kuthe wrote:
> I mentioned recently about my discovering my bacon grease which I got
>
> from frying up 1.5lbs of bacon to make my Bacon Maple Truffles for my
>
> Christmas Candy last year.
>

> I've been munching on the leftovers! YUM!!! And they are still good,
>
> no refrigeration! I have 4 left!! Here's the recipe I used:
>

> 3 lbs dark chocolate, chopped up
>
> 1.5 lbs bacon, fried crispy and drained/cooled
>
> 1/2 cup maple syrup
>
> 1 cup cream (not enough actually, try 1.5 cups cream!)
>

> Combine the cream and maple syrup in a big pan. Crumble and add bacon.
>
> Bring just to a boil and dump in the chopped dark chocolate and stir,
>
> stir, stir! Pour into shallow pan to cool and set up.
>

> I use a baking pan/cookie sheet thing with about 3/4 inch raised
>
> edges. Cover with a sheet of plastic wrap and tape up the edges to the
>
> edges of the pan. Then pour the liquidy ganache in and let cool.set
>
> up. Makes removal for scaling a whole lot easier! Scale into little
>
> balls and dip, or roll in cocoa or do whatever you do to your
>
> truffles!
>

> John Kuthe...

Those sound delicious!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 06:22:18 -0800 (PST), ravenlynne
>Those sound delicious!

They are! Amazingly so.

I had a Bacon Maple donut at Voodoo Donuts in Portland OR that gave me
the idea.

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, February 20, 2014 9:32:20 AM UTC-5, John Kuthe wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 06:22:18 -0800 (PST), ravenlynne

> >Those sound delicious!

> They are! Amazingly so.
>

> I had a Bacon Maple donut at Voodoo Donuts in Portland OR that gave me
>
> the idea.
>

> John Kuthe...

I'd be ok with that too. Thank you for the recipe, I will try it soon
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 06:40:54 -0800 (PST), ravenlynne
>I'd be ok with that too. Thank you for the recipe, I will try it soon

The recipe as stated makes a LOT of Bacon Maple Truffles! I got 213 of
them!! :-)

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, February 20, 2014 9:44:20 AM UTC-5, John Kuthe wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 06:40:54 -0800 (PST), ravenlynne

> >I'd be ok with that too. Thank you for the recipe, I will try it soon

> The recipe as stated makes a LOT of Bacon Maple Truffles! I got 213 of
>
> them!! :-)
>

> John Kuthe...

Thanks for the heads up. I will cut it in half.