Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Is Orange Juice good for you?

I like a glass of orange juice at breakfast and what I drink is usually
called "original, no pulp". There is always some sediment in the bottle
and you are encouraged to "shake well". I recently read that some
"medical experts" have proclaimed that OJ contains just as much sugar as
a similar amount of coke and is equally bad for you and can't be counted
as a fruit equivalent. Well, the OJ I drink does not admit to anything
but orange juice in its composition so those experts would say that you
somehow turn fruit into non-fruit by squeezing it.

I admit that there is no fiber content indicated and I wonder if OJ
labelled "some pulp" might be better. I must look at the labels again
but I intend to keep drinking my glass of orange juice with breakfast. I
should note that I always have half a grapefruit too and I am getting
two fruit equivalents in my opinion.
--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/10/2014 11:10 AM, James Silverton wrote:

> I like a glass of orange juice at breakfast and what I drink is usually
> called "original, no pulp". There is always some sediment in the bottle
> and you are encouraged to "shake well". I recently read that some
> "medical experts" have proclaimed that OJ contains just as much sugar as
> a similar amount of coke and is equally bad for you and can't be counted
> as a fruit equivalent. Well, the OJ I drink does not admit to anything
> but orange juice in its composition so those experts would say that you
> somehow turn fruit into non-fruit by squeezing it.
>
> I admit that there is no fiber content indicated and I wonder if OJ
> labelled "some pulp" might be better. I must look at the labels again
> but I intend to keep drinking my glass of orange juice with breakfast. I
> should note that I always have half a grapefruit too and I am getting
> two fruit equivalents in my opinion.

I suppose it depends on the product. I see advertisements for 'Sunny
Delight.' According to their website it's "a refreshing fruit-flavored
beverage". It may *look* like orange juice but it obviously isn't
orange juice.

Jim, if you're buying 100% orange juice, pulp or no pulp, I would just
enjoy it.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 10, 2014 10:17:42 AM UTC-6, jmcquown wrote:
> On 2/10/2014 11:10 AM, James Silverton wrote:
>

> > I like a glass of orange juice at breakfast and what I drink is usually

> > called "original, no pulp". There is always some sediment in the bottle

> > and you are encouraged to "shake well". I recently read that some

> > "medical experts" have proclaimed that OJ contains just as much sugar as

> > a similar amount of coke and is equally bad for you and can't be counted

> > as a fruit equivalent. Well, the OJ I drink does not admit to anything

> > but orange juice in its composition so those experts would say that you

> > somehow turn fruit into non-fruit by squeezing it.

> > I admit that there is no fiber content indicated and I wonder if OJ

> > labelled "some pulp" might be better. I must look at the labels again

> > but I intend to keep drinking my glass of orange juice with breakfast. I

> > should note that I always have half a grapefruit too and I am getting

> > two fruit equivalents in my opinion.

When you juice the orange, you increase it's glycemic index. The sugar goes
into your bloodstream faster. I squeeze it for my very thin son, and thin
wife, but I don't drink it. I do eat the pulp left in the basket.

If you're drinking that commercial crap, then you have what Sheldon
calls TIAD.

> I suppose it depends on the product. I see advertisements for 'Sunny
>
> Delight.' According to their website it's "a refreshing fruit-flavored
>
> beverage". It may *look* like orange juice but it obviously isn't
>
> orange juice.

People who buy their kids Sunny D should be sterilized.

> Jim, if you're buying 100% orange juice, pulp or no pulp, I would just
>
> enjoy it.

Assuming he's not overweight. My son's pediatrician tells parents that
they should not give children juice, but only whole fruits. Juice is
partly responsible for kids become butterballs like Julie's daughter,
who, like dear old mom, will probably end up diabetic.

> Jill

--B
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/02/2014 16:43, Bryan-TGWWW wrote:
> On Monday, February 10, 2014 10:17:42 AM UTC-6, jmcquown wrote:
>> On 2/10/2014 11:10 AM, James Silverton wrote:
>>

>>> I like a glass of orange juice at breakfast and what I drink is usually

>>> called "original, no pulp". There is always some sediment in the bottle

>>> and you are encouraged to "shake well". I recently read that some

>>> "medical experts" have proclaimed that OJ contains just as much sugar as

>>> a similar amount of coke and is equally bad for you and can't be counted

>>> as a fruit equivalent. Well, the OJ I drink does not admit to anything

>>> but orange juice in its composition so those experts would say that you

>>> somehow turn fruit into non-fruit by squeezing it.

>>> I admit that there is no fiber content indicated and I wonder if OJ

>>> labelled "some pulp" might be better. I must look at the labels again

>>> but I intend to keep drinking my glass of orange juice with breakfast. I

>>> should note that I always have half a grapefruit too and I am getting

>>> two fruit equivalents in my opinion.

> When you juice the orange, you increase it's glycemic index. The sugar goes
> into your bloodstream faster. I squeeze it for my very thin son, and thin
> wife, but I don't drink it. I do eat the pulp left in the basket.
>
> If you're drinking that commercial crap, then you have what Sheldon
> calls TIAD.
>>
>> I suppose it depends on the product. I see advertisements for 'Sunny
>>
>> Delight.' According to their website it's "a refreshing fruit-flavored
>>
>> beverage". It may *look* like orange juice but it obviously isn't
>>
>> orange juice.
>>

> People who buy their kids Sunny D should be sterilized.
>>
>> Jim, if you're buying 100% orange juice, pulp or no pulp, I would just
>>
>> enjoy it.
>>

> Assuming he's not overweight. My son's pediatrician tells parents that
> they should not give children juice, but only whole fruits. Juice is
> partly responsible for kids become butterballs like Julie's daughter,
> who, like dear old mom, will probably end up diabetic.
>>
>> Jill

> --B

There was a programme on British TV recently, 2 doctors Identical twins,
one from UK the other the USA eat and drank varied diets. The result was
that orange juice is not good, unless it has the pulp.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/10/2014 10:10 AM, James Silverton wrote:

> I like a glass of orange juice at breakfast and what I drink is usually
> called "original, no pulp". There is always some sediment in the bottle
> and you are encouraged to "shake well". I recently read that some
> "medical experts" have proclaimed that OJ contains just as much sugar as
> a similar amount of coke and is equally bad for you and can't be counted
> as a fruit equivalent. Well, the OJ I drink does not admit to anything
> but orange juice in its composition so those experts would say that you
> somehow turn fruit into non-fruit by squeezing it.
>
> I admit that there is no fiber content indicated and I wonder if OJ
> labelled "some pulp" might be better. I must look at the labels again
> but I intend to keep drinking my glass of orange juice with breakfast. I
> should note that I always have half a grapefruit too and I am getting
> two fruit equivalents in my opinion.

Stuff I have read lately says to eat the fruit and not drink the juice.
The juice is, indeed, very high in sugar and there is no benefit from
fiber. Diabetics are told not to drink fruit juice.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 10, 2014 1:46:34 PM UTC-6, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Feb 2014 11:32:13 -0800 (PST), Bryan-TGWWW
>
> > wrote:
>

> >On Monday, February 10, 2014 1:08:44 PM UTC-6, Metspitzer wrote:

> >> I have never liked grapefruit. It is a good thing too. I am told

> >> that grapefruit can interact negatively with many medicines.

> >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grapefr...g_interactions

> >I am quite aware of that. I almost lost the love of my life.

> >Grapefruit Juice and Verapamil: A Toxic Cocktail

> >http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/589497

> >The "42-year-old female" described in the study is my wife. She no longer

> >takes that medication, but she still loves fresh squeezed grapefruit juice.

> It's the fresh squeezed that's where the problem lies... the chemical
>
> that interferes with certain Rx is only in the grapefruit skin... it's
>
> fine to eat grapefruit flesh that's been hand peeled.

The grapefruit juice that caused the problem was crappy "from concentrate"
stuff that was included in the AYCE buffet at the Best Westerns we
stayed at in New Mexico for over a week, then probably some more in the
dining car of the Amtrak we took back.

--B
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-02-10 11:10 AM, James Silverton wrote:

> I admit that there is no fiber content indicated and I wonder if OJ
> labelled "some pulp" might be better. I must look at the labels again
> but I intend to keep drinking my glass of orange juice with breakfast. I
> should note that I always have half a grapefruit too and I am getting
> two fruit equivalents in my opinion.

FWIW... my cardiac dietitian recommended fruit..... NOT JUICE. I
imagine that you are getting some vital nutrients in the juice, but most
of them have so much sugar added to them that the sugar does more harm
than the good things do good. I don't understand why freshly squeezed
orange juice would not provide close to the same nutritional value as an
orange.

I love cranberry juice, but it is very high in sugar. I tried the
straight cranberry juice. Holy cow! That stuff is not for the faint of
heart.

I suppose that juice is better than no fruit at all, but commercial
juices have to be thought of on the same terms as sweetened soft drinks.

I find it a little frustrating that labelling laws allowed juice
products to be sold as "pure" when they have things added to them,
especially when it involves sugar and colouring.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Wilder" wrote in message
eb.com...

On 2/10/2014 1:07 PM, MaryL wrote:

> "Bryan-TGWWW" wrote in message
>
> On Monday, February 10, 2014 11:19:40 AM UTC-6, MaryL wrote:
>> "James Silverton" wrote in message ...
>>

>> I like a glass of orange juice at breakfast and what I drink is usually
>>
>> called "original, no pulp". There is always some sediment in the bottle
>>
>> and you are encouraged to "shake well". I recently read that some
>>
>> "medical experts" have proclaimed that OJ contains just as much sugar as
>>
>> a similar amount of coke and is equally bad for you and can't be counted
>>
>> as a fruit equivalent. Well, the OJ I drink does not admit to anything
>>
>> but orange juice in its composition so those experts would say that you
>>
>> somehow turn fruit into non-fruit by squeezing it.
>>

>> I admit that there is no fiber content indicated and I wonder if OJ
>>
>> labelled "some pulp" might be better. I must look at the labels again
>>
>> but I intend to keep drinking my glass of orange juice with breakfast. I
>>
>> should note that I always have half a grapefruit too and I am getting
>>
>> two fruit equivalents in my opinion.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)
>>

>> Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
>>

>> ~~~~~~~~
>>
>> Years ago, I drank a lot of Tropicana orange juice "not from concentrate"
>>
>> and including the pulp. I really liked it and thought I was doing
>> something
>>
>> healthy. After all, it was from fruit. After I was diagnosed with T2
>>
>> diabetes and began doing some research, I learned that that was one of
>> the
>>
>> worst things I could have done. Juice is high GI and is quickly absorbed
>>
>> into the blood stream. It is much better to eat the whole fruit. I
>> *never*
>>
>> drink juice of any kind now, but I do eat fresh fruit.
>>

>> Here is an article you might like to read. It contains more information
>>
>> than I provided.
>>
>> http://greatist.com/health/fruit-jui...iabetes-090313
>>

> If everyone ate as if they were already diabetic, few folks would develop
> diabetes.
>
> You should try my new sweetener. 1# erythritol, combined in the blender
> with 1 t pure sucralose.
>>
>> MaryL

> --B
>
> ~~~~~~~~~
> I agree with the statement that few folks would develop diabetes if
> everyone ate as if they were already diabetic.
>
> I have not added sugar to anything since 2004, and I also do not use any
> artificial sweeteners. I started with South Beach after I developed
> diabetes, and I have found that now I do not even miss all the
> sweeteners. Of course, I do get natural sugars through fruit and even
> veggies, and I can't avoid it when I eat with friends or in restaurants
> (although I try to be selective in what I order). I have been able to
> keep my BG under good control that way, and I do not feel deprived.
>
> MaryL

When a diabetic thinks they can control their disease by only
eliminating table sugar, it might be time for a diabetes education class.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

~~~~~~~
Absolutely correct. Sugar is a carb, and I learned to try to eliminate (or
at least greatly reduce) the "bad carbs." So, I still get sugar from
natural sources, but I have tried to avoid added sugar. Likewise, I have
eliminated the other "white stuff"--no white rice, pasta, flour, white
potatoes. My meter showed a remarkable improvement in a very short period
of time when I made that change.

MaryL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 10 Feb 2014 11:45:17 -0800 (PST), Bryan-TGWWW
> wrote:

>On Monday, February 10, 2014 1:33:54 PM UTC-6, Helpful person wrote:
>> On Monday, February 10, 2014 2:08:44 PM UTC-5, Metspitzer wrote:
>>

>> > I have never liked grapefruit. It is a good thing too. I am told

>> > that grapefruit can interact negatively with many medicines.

>> It doesn't act negatively (which means good effects become
>>
>> harmful) but it can destroy much of the goodness of certain
>>
>> medicines.
>>

>Why do folks here blow out their asses so often?
>It's not helpful when you just guess, and act like you know something.
>This happened--
>http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/589497
>
>I was there. It had a negative effect.
>
>--B

Bryan's One Trick pony, and it's not even his pony!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> [...]

> --B
>
> ~~~~~~~~~
> I agree with the statement that few folks would develop diabetes if
> everyone ate as if they were already diabetic.
>
> I have not added sugar to anything since 2004, and I also do not use any
> artificial sweeteners. I started with South Beach after I developed
> diabetes, and I have found that now I do not even miss all the
> sweeteners. Of course, I do get natural sugars through fruit and even
> veggies, and I can't avoid it when I eat with friends or in restaurants
> (although I try to be selective in what I order). I have been able to
> keep my BG under good control that way, and I do not feel deprived.
>
> MaryL

When a diabetic thinks they can control their disease by only
eliminating table sugar, it might be time for a diabetes education class.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/10/2014 1:11 PM, James Silverton wrote:
> On 2/10/2014 12:25 PM, Helpful person wrote:
>> On Monday, February 10, 2014 12:18:20 PM UTC-5, Janet Wilder wrote:
>>>
>>> Stuff I have read lately says to eat the fruit and not drink the juice.
>>> The juice is, indeed, very high in sugar and there is no benefit from
>>> fiber. Diabetics are told not to drink fruit juice.
>>>
>>> Janet Wilder

>> To my mind a bigger problem is that in the USA nearly all fruit has been
>> genetically selected for sweetness, even fruit that that is better
>> with low
>> sugar. This includes all citrus, berries, grapes, tomatoes, plums,
>> apricots, pineapple etc. I'm not sure if this is due to Americans'
>> taste or if it pushed by the sellers.
>>
>> http://www.richardfisher.com
>>

> It's hard to believe that the amount of fibrous material in a grapefruit
> amounts to much and I would suppose an orange to be similar.
> I chew the grapefruit sections so I would guess the juice is released
> before digesting.
>
> I'm not diabetic but which fruits are diabetics supposed to eat?

Though diabetics are not required to eat any fruit, berries are probably
best if they are eating fruit. My DH does not eat fruit at all, except
for strawberries on rare occasions.

A diabetic diet is one that limits carbohydrates. The American Diabetes
Association also limits fats, though that is a point of contention with
many.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/10/2014 1:36 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> Metspitzer wrote:
>>
>> I have never liked grapefruit. It is a good thing too. I am told
>> that grapefruit can interact negatively with many medicines.

> I've asked my pharmacist, he said eating fresh grapefruit is fine,
> it's grapefruit juice where there can be a problem because in making
> the commercial juice the entire grapefruit is squeezed under great
> pressure and the part of the grapefruit that can interfere with drugs
> is in the skin only... if you peel your grapefruit by hand the flesh
> is fine to eat.

Send the pharmacist back to school. That's BS.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 10, 2014 2:28:19 PM UTC-6, Dave Smith wrote:

> I love cranberry juice, but it is very high in sugar. I tried the
>
> straight cranberry juice. Holy cow! That stuff is not for the faint of
>
> heart.

5 oz 100% cranberry juice
12 oz water
pure sucralose to taste
serve over ice, with optional added vodka

50 grams would probably last you years.
http://www.amazon.com/BulkSupplement...dp/B00CCXMBF0/

--B
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 10, 2014 2:42:25 PM UTC-6, John Kuthe, "The One Trick Gelding" wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Feb 2014 11:45:17 -0800 (PST), Bryan-TGWWW
>
> > wrote:

> >> It doesn't act negatively (which means good effects become

> >> harmful) but it can destroy much of the goodness of certain

> >> medicines.

> >Why do folks here blow out their asses so often?

> >It's not helpful when you just guess, and act like you know something.

> >This happened--

> >http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/589497

> >I was there. It had a negative effect.

> >--B

> Bryan's One Trick pony, and it's not even his pony!

Tell us again how heroin is not an effective analgesic. If I were
you, I'd stay away from threads about people blowing out their asses
for a while.

> John Kuthe...

--B
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 10, 2014 2:08:44 PM UTC-5, Metspitzer wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Feb 2014 11:10:29 -0500, James Silverton
>
> > wrote:
>

> >I like a glass of orange juice at breakfast and what I drink is usually

> >called "original, no pulp". There is always some sediment in the bottle

> >and you are encouraged to "shake well". I recently read that some

> >"medical experts" have proclaimed that OJ contains just as much sugar as

> >a similar amount of coke and is equally bad for you and can't be counted

> >as a fruit equivalent. Well, the OJ I drink does not admit to anything

> >but orange juice in its composition so those experts would say that you

> >somehow turn fruit into non-fruit by squeezing it.

> >I admit that there is no fiber content indicated and I wonder if OJ

> >labelled "some pulp" might be better. I must look at the labels again

> >but I intend to keep drinking my glass of orange juice with breakfast. I

> >should note that I always have half a grapefruit too and I am getting

> >two fruit equivalents in my opinion.

> I have never liked grapefruit. It is a good thing too. I am told
>
> that grapefruit can interact negatively with many medicines.

I love grapefruit, but cannot eat it due to medications. It shuts down an enzyme, or rather it can, and kills kidneys.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 10, 2014 2:11:20 PM UTC-5, James Silverton wrote:
> On 2/10/2014 12:25 PM, Helpful person wrote:
>
> > On Monday, February 10, 2014 12:18:20 PM UTC-5, Janet Wilder wrote:

> >> Stuff I have read lately says to eat the fruit and not drink the juice.

> >> The juice is, indeed, very high in sugar and there is no benefit from

> >> fiber. Diabetics are told not to drink fruit juice.

> >> Janet Wilder

> > To my mind a bigger problem is that in the USA nearly all fruit has been

> > genetically selected for sweetness, even fruit that that is better with low

> > sugar. This includes all citrus, berries, grapes, tomatoes, plums, apricots, pineapple etc. I'm not sure if this is due to Americans' taste or if it pushed by the sellers.

> > http://www.richardfisher.com

> It's hard to believe that the amount of fibrous material in a grapefruit
>
> amounts to much and I would suppose an orange to be similar.
>
> I chew the grapefruit sections so I would guess the juice is released
>
> before digesting.
>

> I'm not diabetic but which fruits are diabetics supposed to eat?

Berries.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 10, 2014 4:23:02 PM UTC-5, Bryan-TGWWW wrote:
> On Monday, February 10, 2014 2:42:25 PM UTC-6, John Kuthe, "The One Trick Gelding" wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 10 Feb 2014 11:45:17 -0800 (PST), Bryan-TGWWW

> > > wrote:

> > >Why do folks here blow out their asses so often?

> > >It's not helpful when you just guess, and act like you know something.

> > >This happened--

> > >http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/589497

> > >I was there. It had a negative effect.

> > >--B

> > Bryan's One Trick pony, and it's not even his pony!

> Tell us again how heroin is not an effective analgesic. If I were
>
> you, I'd stay away from threads about people blowing out their asses
>
> for a while.
>

> > John Kuthe...

> --B

That WAS the finniest ****ing thing I've seen in a long time! Coming from a "nurse".
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/10/2014 3:28 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2014-02-10 11:10 AM, James Silverton wrote:
>>

>> I admit that there is no fiber content indicated and I wonder if OJ
>> labelled "some pulp" might be better. I must look at the labels again
>> but I intend to keep drinking my glass of orange juice with breakfast. I
>> should note that I always have half a grapefruit too and I am getting
>> two fruit equivalents in my opinion.

> FWIW... my cardiac dietitian recommended fruit..... NOT JUICE. I
> imagine that you are getting some vital nutrients in the juice, but most
> of them have so much sugar added to them that the sugar does more harm
> than the good things do good. I don't understand why freshly squeezed
> orange juice would not provide close to the same nutritional value as an
> orange.
>
> I love cranberry juice, but it is very high in sugar. I tried the
> straight cranberry juice. Holy cow! That stuff is not for the faint of
> heart.
>
> I suppose that juice is better than no fruit at all, but commercial
> juices have to be thought of on the same terms as sweetened soft drinks.
>
> I find it a little frustrating that labelling laws allowed juice
> products to be sold as "pure" when they have things added to them,
> especially when it involves sugar and colouring.

Sugar or HFCS is *not* added to better grades of orange juice and the
amount of fiber is negligible as it is in a regular orange,

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 10, 2014 5:43:07 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> On Monday, February 10, 2014 4:23:02 PM UTC-5, Bryan-TGWWW wrote:
>
> > On Monday, February 10, 2014 2:42:25 PM UTC-6, John Kuthe, "The One Trick Gelding" wrote:

> > > On Mon, 10 Feb 2014 11:45:17 -0800 (PST), Bryan-TGWWW

> > > Bryan's One Trick pony, and it's not even his pony!

> > Tell us again how heroin is not an effective analgesic. If I were

> > you, I'd stay away from threads about people blowing out their asses

> > for a while.

> > > John Kuthe...

> > --B

> That WAS the finniest ****ing thing I've seen in a long time! Coming from a "nurse".

*Funniest*.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 10 Feb 2014 17:47:22 -0500, James Silverton
> wrote:

> Sugar or HFCS is *not* added to better grades of orange juice and the
> amount of fiber is negligible as it is in a regular orange,

What brands are you talking about?

--

Good Food.
Good Friends.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2014-02-10 5:09 PM, The Other Guy wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Feb 2014 14:41:58 -0600, "MaryL"
> > wrote:
>
>> When a diabetic thinks they can control their disease by only
>> eliminating table sugar, it might be time for a diabetes education class.

> It's probably too LATE by then,
> and education wouldn't have any effect anyway.

Makes me think of my late BiL who had been quite obese and developed
diabetes. On on visit with him he was ranting about being on a 1300
calorie per day diet and was still gaining wait and wanted to know why.
I made the mistake of pointing out that he was eating ice cream with
chocolate sauce and cookies for breakfast. Silly me... it as diet ice
cream and diet cookies.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/10/2014 6:02 PM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Feb 2014 17:47:22 -0500, James Silverton
> > wrote:
>
>> Sugar or HFCS is *not* added to better grades of orange juice and the
>> amount of fiber is negligible as it is in a regular orange,

> What brands are you talking about?

Just offhand; Tropicana, Giant and "Florida's Natural" all claim not to
be made from concentrate or have added sugars.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bryan-TGWWW" > wrote in message
> On Monday, February 10, 2014 10:17:42 AM UTC-6, jmcquown wrote:
>> On 2/10/2014 11:10 AM, James Silverton wrote:
>>

>> > I like a glass of orange juice at breakfast and what I drink is usually

>> > called "original, no pulp". There is always some sediment in the bottle

>> > and you are encouraged to "shake well". I recently read that some

>> > "medical experts" have proclaimed that OJ contains just as much sugar
>> > as

>> > a similar amount of coke and is equally bad for you and can't be
>> > counted

>> > as a fruit equivalent. Well, the OJ I drink does not admit to anything

>> > but orange juice in its composition so those experts would say that you

>> > somehow turn fruit into non-fruit by squeezing it.

>> > I admit that there is no fiber content indicated and I wonder if OJ

>> > labelled "some pulp" might be better. I must look at the labels again

>> > but I intend to keep drinking my glass of orange juice with breakfast.

>> > should note that I always have half a grapefruit too and I am getting

>> > two fruit equivalents in my opinion.

> When you juice the orange, you increase it's glycemic index. The sugar
> goes
> into your bloodstream faster. I squeeze it for my very thin son, and thin
> wife, but I don't drink it. I do eat the pulp left in the basket.
>
> If you're drinking that commercial crap, then you have what Sheldon
> calls TIAD.
>>
>> I suppose it depends on the product. I see advertisements for 'Sunny
>>
>> Delight.' According to their website it's "a refreshing fruit-flavored
>>
>> beverage". It may *look* like orange juice but it obviously isn't
>>
>> orange juice.
>>

> People who buy their kids Sunny D should be sterilized.
>>
>> Jim, if you're buying 100% orange juice, pulp or no pulp, I would just
>>
>> enjoy it.
>>

> Assuming he's not overweight. My son's pediatrician tells parents that
> they should not give children juice, but only whole fruits. Juice is
> partly responsible for kids become butterballs like Julie's daughter,
> who, like dear old mom, will probably end up diabetic.

Wrong Bryan! I am very much anti-juice and always have been. Angela's Drs.
have all said she could have one serving of juice per day when she was
younger. One serving being 3-4 ounces, depending on her age. Only 100%
real juice. Could have. Not had to have. And she usually didn't have.

I don't personally think that fruit juice is a good thing for anyone to
have. This is one thing I used to argue with my MIL about and now my
husband. She was big on juice and because she was big on it, he is big on
it. He wanted to buy a juicer. I put my foot down on that!

Now I do use vegetable juice on occasion in soup. But I don't even think
that vegetable juice is a good thing to consume a lot of either. Unless you
have some sort of medical problem and are unable to eat solid food. But if
I had to choose between the two it would be vegetable.

I do buy Ocean Spray Diet Cranberry and also Diet V8 Splash. We don't drink
these things on a regular basis and when we do drink them, we drink only
small amounts. Like 3 ounces at a time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> I very rarely drink OJ, I much prefer eating fresh citrus. I see no
> point whatsoever to juicing, eating fresh fruit and veggies
> unprocessed is best... only ignoranuses own juicing machines... they
> may as well eat the fruit and veggies from my commode before I flush.

I do believe that juicers can be good for some people, but only some.
Sometimes people have medical conditions to where they simply can not eat
solid food, perhaps only temporarily. For those folks, a juicer might be
handy. Then there are things like the Vitamix that turn whole fruits and
vegetables into juice. Still not IMO as good as eating the whole thing but
might be necessary for some people. But should everyone rush out and buy
one? Not in my opinion.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:

> I admit that there is no fiber content indicated and I wonder if OJ
> labelled "some pulp" might be better. I must look at the labels again
> but I intend to keep drinking my glass of orange juice with breakfast. I
> should note that I always have half a grapefruit too and I am getting
> two fruit equivalents in my opinion.

I wouldn't worry about all that nonsense. Just drink your glass of OJ
of choice each morning. I have an 8oz glass once a day. It tastes good
and the vitamen C is good for you.

G.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> On 2/10/2014 12:25 PM, Helpful person wrote:
>> On Monday, February 10, 2014 12:18:20 PM UTC-5, Janet Wilder wrote:
>>>
>>> Stuff I have read lately says to eat the fruit and not drink the juice.
>>> The juice is, indeed, very high in sugar and there is no benefit from
>>> fiber. Diabetics are told not to drink fruit juice.
>>>
>>> Janet Wilder

>> To my mind a bigger problem is that in the USA nearly all fruit has been
>> genetically selected for sweetness, even fruit that that is better with
>> low
>> sugar. This includes all citrus, berries, grapes, tomatoes, plums,
>> apricots, pineapple etc. I'm not sure if this is due to Americans' taste
>> or if it pushed by the sellers.
>>
>> http://www.richardfisher.com
>>

> It's hard to believe that the amount of fibrous material in a grapefruit
> amounts to much and I would suppose an orange to be similar.
> I chew the grapefruit sections so I would guess the juice is released
> before digesting.
>
> I'm not diabetic but which fruits are diabetics supposed to eat?

In general? None. But every diabetic is different. I happen not to like
most fruits. So if I do eat them (and that would be rarely) it is
unsweetened applesauce, apples, pears, grapefruits, cranberries and rhubarb.
And by fruits I mean those things we eat that we tend to call fruits. Yes,
I know that tomatoes, cucumbers and other produce are technically fruits. I
am not referring to those.

A dietician once told me that they tend to work fruits into the diabetic
diet only because people tend to like them. Since I don't, she said this
was a good thing. But... Of all the fruits there are, many diabetics say
that they can tolerate berries better than the other fruits. Bananas and
oranges tend to spike blood sugar the most. Orange juice is a good thing
for a diabetic to drink if they have low blood sugar.

I used to have a male friend who was very thin. He drank insane amounts of
pineapple and orange juice. I'm talking *big* glasses of the stuff. Did
not seem to do him any harm but his diet was pretty good in general. Unlike
some people he did eat lots of vegetables and not a lot of junk food. But
he clearly had some sort of metabolism problem because he just could not
gain weight.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> Makes me think of my late BiL who had been quite obese and developed
> diabetes. On on visit with him he was ranting about being on a 1300
> calorie per day diet and was still gaining wait and wanted to know why.
> I made the mistake of pointing out that he was eating ice cream with
> chocolate sauce and cookies for breakfast. Silly me... it as diet ice
> cream and diet cookies.

So it was the chocolate sauce that was doing him in?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"MaryL" > wrote in message

> "James Silverton" wrote in message ...
>

> I like a glass of orange juice at breakfast and what I drink is usually
> called "original, no pulp". There is always some sediment in the bottle
> and you are encouraged to "shake well". I recently read that some
> "medical experts" have proclaimed that OJ contains just as much sugar as
> a similar amount of coke and is equally bad for you and can't be counted
> as a fruit equivalent. Well, the OJ I drink does not admit to anything
> but orange juice in its composition so those experts would say that you
> somehow turn fruit into non-fruit by squeezing it.
>
> I admit that there is no fiber content indicated and I wonder if OJ
> labelled "some pulp" might be better. I must look at the labels again
> but I intend to keep drinking my glass of orange juice with breakfast. I
> should note that I always have half a grapefruit too and I am getting
> two fruit equivalents in my opinion.
> --
> Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)
>
> Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
>
> ~~~~~~~~
> Years ago, I drank a lot of Tropicana orange juice "not from concentrate"
> and including the pulp. I really liked it and thought I was doing
> something healthy. After all, it was from fruit. After I was diagnosed
> with T2 diabetes and began doing some research, I learned that that was
> one of the worst things I could have done. Juice is high GI and is
> quickly absorbed into the blood stream. It is much better to eat the
> whole fruit. I *never* drink juice of any kind now, but I do eat fresh
> fruit.
>
> Here is an article you might like to read. It contains more information
> than I provided.
> http://greatist.com/health/fruit-jui...iabetes-090313
>
> MaryL

I never liked juice. We did drink a tiny amount at breakfast when I was a
kid, usually orange juice. We had those little dinky juice glasses and my
mom only put a large splash in them. One pitcher of juice would last us a
long time.

When I was pregnant, I did begin to crave juice and fruit punch. I just
thought they were normal pregnancy cravings. Nope! It was because I had
what they told me was gestational diabetes. But I really think it was
actually type 2. High blood sugar can cause you to crave sweets like a
fiend! At least it did for me then. But not all sweets. Just juice and
punch which I normally could not stand at all. Once I changed my diet and
my BG went down, no more cravings.

But for some reason even when I do have high BG now, I never crave sweet
drinks like that. Could be that the pregnancy factored in.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Other Guy" wrote in message

On Mon, 10 Feb 2014 14:41:58 -0600, "MaryL"
> wrote:

>When a diabetic thinks they can control their disease by only
>eliminating table sugar, it might be time for a diabetes education class.

It's probably too LATE by then,
and education wouldn't have any effect anyway.

~~~~~~~
Please be careful with your snipping and attributions. I did not write that
(although I agree with it). I was responding to Janet, who actually wrote
it, and included some additional thoughts of my own.

MaryL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 10, 2014 5:37:22 PM UTC-6, Gary wrote:
> James Silverton wrote:
>

> > I admit that there is no fiber content indicated and I wonder if OJ

> > labelled "some pulp" might be better. I must look at the labels again

> > but I intend to keep drinking my glass of orange juice with breakfast. I

> > should note that I always have half a grapefruit too and I am getting

> > two fruit equivalents in my opinion.

> I wouldn't worry about all that nonsense. Just drink your glass of OJ
>
> of choice each morning. I have an 8oz glass once a day. It tastes good
>
> and the vitamen C is good for you.

Freshly squeezed OJ tastes good, but the vitamin C in pill form is just as
"good for you" as that derived from sugar-laden fruit juice.

> G.

--B

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 10 Feb 2014 11:32:13 -0800 (PST), Bryan-TGWWW
> wrote:

>On Monday, February 10, 2014 1:08:44 PM UTC-6, Metspitzer wrote:
>>

>> I have never liked grapefruit. It is a good thing too. I am told
>>
>> that grapefruit can interact negatively with many medicines.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grapefr...g_interactions

>I am quite aware of that. I almost lost the love of my life.
>
>Grapefruit Juice and Verapamil: A Toxic Cocktail
>http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/589497
>
>The "42-year-old female" described in the study is my wife. She no longer
>takes that medication, but she still loves fresh squeezed grapefruit juice.
>
>--B

Could you post the info for your wife? You have to create an account
on the page you listed to read it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/10/2014 8:51 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Feb 2014 11:32:13 -0800 (PST), Bryan-TGWWW
> > wrote:
>
>> On Monday, February 10, 2014 1:08:44 PM UTC-6, Metspitzer wrote:
>>>

>>> I have never liked grapefruit. It is a good thing too. I am told
>>>
>>> that grapefruit can interact negatively with many medicines.
>>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grapefr...g_interactions

>> I am quite aware of that. I almost lost the love of my life.
>>
>> Grapefruit Juice and Verapamil: A Toxic Cocktail
>> http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/589497
>>
>> The "42-year-old female" described in the study is my wife. She no longer
>> takes that medication, but she still loves fresh squeezed grapefruit juice.
>>
>> --B

> Could you post the info for your wife? You have to create an account
> on the page you listed to read it.

Oh please, don't encourage him. Take it to private email if you must.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/10/2014 12:49 PM, Bryan-TGWWW wrote:

> No, Jill. It *does not* appear that way. Count the greater than symbols.
> See how there's the same number of them in front of the word, "Assuming,"
> as there are in front of, "--B"????
>
> Me screwing that up would be very unlikely, as I go to the trouble to
> manually wrap my lines on stupid GoogleGroups.
>
> You made a mistake, and you notice that this reply didn't begin with me
> yelling, "JILL..."
>>
>> Jill

> --B

Then why not clip the name below your reply? When you reply to a post
it is always sandwiched in and looks like crap.

Ditch Google Groups and get a real newsreader.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 10 Feb 2014 15:28:19 -0500, Dave Smith wrote:

> FWIW... my cardiac dietitian recommended fruit..... NOT JUICE. I
> imagine that you are getting some vital nutrients in the juice, but most
> of them have so much sugar added to them that the sugar does more harm
> than the good things do good. I don't understand why freshly squeezed
> orange juice would not provide close to the same nutritional value as an
> orange.

Me neither. We often buy fresh oranges and use our electric gizmo to
squeeze the juice.... No sugar, nothing else added to it - just juice.
Dunno, maybe s/he just assumed that you wouldn't make your own (genuine)
pure fruit juices at home?

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/10/2014 10:27 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 2/10/2014 12:49 PM, Bryan-TGWWW wrote:
>
>> No, Jill. It *does not* appear that way. Count the greater than
>> symbols.

Yes, it *does* appear that way. Your replies do not wrap correctly.
I'm not counting > symbols when you could just format things correctly

>> See how there's the same number of them in front of the word, "Assuming,"
>> as there are in front of, "--B"????

Counting... yeah right.

>> Me screwing that up would be very unlikely, as I go to the trouble to
>> manually wrap my lines on stupid GoogleGroups.

Maybe you should stop trying to do that. You obviously don't know how.
Or Google Groups doesn't know how. Either way, it sucks.

>> You made a mistake, and you notice that this reply didn't begin with me
>> yelling, "JILL..."
>>>
>>> Jill

>> --B

You just did it again, Bryan, so *obviously* you aren't very good at it.

> Then why not clip the name below your reply? When you reply to a post
> it is always sandwiched in and looks like crap.
>
> Ditch Google Groups and get a real newsreader.

Thank you, Ed!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/10/2014 10:31 PM, ChattyCathy wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Feb 2014 15:28:19 -0500, Dave Smith wrote:
>

>> I don't understand why freshly squeezed
>> orange juice would not provide close to the same nutritional value as an
>> orange.

> Me neither. We often buy fresh oranges and use our electric gizmo to
> squeeze the juice.... No sugar, nothing else added to it - just juice.
> Dunno, maybe s/he just assumed that you wouldn't make your own (genuine)
> pure fruit juices at home?

Not squeezing fresh fruit for juice doesn't make any sense to me, either.

Many people who replied to Jim jumped right into the "diabetic
discussion". Breaking News: Not everyone is diabetic. Jim
specifically stated in a subsequent reply he is not diabetic.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...

On 2/10/2014 10:31 PM, ChattyCathy wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Feb 2014 15:28:19 -0500, Dave Smith wrote:
>

>> I don't understand why freshly squeezed
>> orange juice would not provide close to the same nutritional value as an
>> orange.

> Me neither. We often buy fresh oranges and use our electric gizmo to
> squeeze the juice.... No sugar, nothing else added to it - just juice.
> Dunno, maybe s/he just assumed that you wouldn't make your own (genuine)
> pure fruit juices at home?

Not squeezing fresh fruit for juice doesn't make any sense to me, either.

Many people who replied to Jim jumped right into the "diabetic
discussion". Breaking News: Not everyone is diabetic. Jim
specifically stated in a subsequent reply he is not diabetic.

Jill

~~~~~~~~~
That's true. On the other hand, I was not diabetic during the years when I
was drinking orange juice for breakfast every day. It was after I was
diagnosed as a diabetic that I learned that what I had considered part of a
"healthy" breakfast was actually one of the worst things I could have done.
That's why I immediately jumped into the diabetic discussion. I would like
to help others to avoid the same fate.

MaryL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, February 10, 2014 10:27:28 PM UTC-5, jmcquown wrote:
> On 2/10/2014 8:51 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 10 Feb 2014 11:32:13 -0800 (PST), Bryan-TGWWW

> > > wrote:

> >> I am quite aware of that. I almost lost the love of my life.

> >> Grapefruit Juice and Verapamil: A Toxic Cocktail

> >> http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/589497

> >> The "42-year-old female" described in the study is my wife. She no longer

> >> takes that medication, but she still loves fresh squeezed grapefruit juice.

> >> --B

> > Could you post the info for your wife? You have to create an account

> > on the page you listed to read it.

> Oh please, don't encourage him. Take it to private email if you must.
>

> Jill

**** you, ****.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" wrote in message ...

On 2/10/2014 12:25 PM, Helpful person wrote:
> On Monday, February 10, 2014 12:18:20 PM UTC-5, Janet Wilder wrote:
>>
>> Stuff I have read lately says to eat the fruit and not drink the juice.
>> The juice is, indeed, very high in sugar and there is no benefit from
>> fiber. Diabetics are told not to drink fruit juice.
>>
>> Janet Wilder

> To my mind a bigger problem is that in the USA nearly all fruit has been
> genetically selected for sweetness, even fruit that that is better with
> low
> sugar. This includes all citrus, berries, grapes, tomatoes, plums,
> apricots, pineapple etc. I'm not sure if this is due to Americans' taste
> or if it pushed by the sellers.
>
> http://www.richardfisher.com

It's hard to believe that the amount of fibrous material in a grapefruit
amounts to much and I would suppose an orange to be similar.
I chew the grapefruit sections so I would guess the juice is released
before digesting.

I'm not diabetic but which fruits are diabetics supposed to eat?

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.

~~~~~~~~~
Much depends on the general health of the individual and how well controlled
their diabetes is. I am diabetic and have been able to keep my BG under
good control. I eat a variety of fresh fruit, especially berries, and a
pretty good selection of fresh veggies. I realize that frozen veggies can
be just as healthy as fresh (sometimes better because they are usually
frozen quickly after picking), but I prefer fresh vegetables and seldom use
anything else. I do emphasize the so-called "good carbs" and explained in
another message that I have nearly eliminated the so-called "white stuff."

MaryL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2014-02-10 5:09 PM, The Other Guy wrote:
>> On Mon, 10 Feb 2014 14:41:58 -0600, "MaryL"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> When a diabetic thinks they can control their disease by only
>>> eliminating table sugar, it might be time for a diabetes education
>>> class.

>> It's probably too LATE by then,
>> and education wouldn't have any effect anyway.
>>

> Makes me think of my late BiL who had been quite obese and developed
> diabetes. On on visit with him he was ranting about being on a 1300
> calorie per day diet and was still gaining wait and wanted to know why. I
> made the mistake of pointing out that he was eating ice cream with
> chocolate sauce and cookies for breakfast. Silly me... it as diet ice
> cream and diet cookies.

I had coworkers who drank Slim Fast for breakfast. They said it tasted
better with whole milk. They also at K Muffins or Egg and Hammers, akin to
the Egg McMuffin. They wondered why they didn't lose.

About orange juice : aseptically processed juice PL[_5_] General Cooking 2 26-07-2010 08:42 AM
orange juice blackdog General Cooking 0 13-10-2006 11:00 PM
orange juice blackdog Coffee 0 13-10-2006 11:00 PM
Orange juice vs. grape--which is better? James Goforth General Cooking 26 23-09-2006 01:06 AM
supermarket orange juice Bob Winemaking 22 30-11-2004 07:22 PM